General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-08-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1604061

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat?

bryancd - 2008-08-14 3:03 PM OK, that dinner looks much better. The thing about cookies or the like vs. gels is that gels have a blend of sugar/carbohydrate that your body will use as fuel, cookies are just sugar. It's not about the calorie math. I would rather hear that you had a banana and an orange before a workout to give your glycogen a healthy spike.

How are whole grain fig newtons in that regard? Those are cheap per serving too. I'm trying to do more solids on the bike and save the gels for the run. My stomach does not tolerate well hours and hours of gels. It's hard to take 100 miles worth of bananas and oranges for my long rides, and I'm trying to mimick race day nutrition during all my training.

2008-08-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1604081

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
SuzanneS - 2008-08-14 2:07 PM

bryancd - 2008-08-14 3:03 PM OK, that dinner looks much better. The thing about cookies or the like vs. gels is that gels have a blend of sugar/carbohydrate that your body will use as fuel, cookies are just sugar. It's not about the calorie math. I would rather hear that you had a banana and an orange before a workout to give your glycogen a healthy spike.

How are whole grain fig newtons in that regard? Those are cheap per serving too. I'm trying to do more solids on the bike and save the gels for the run. My stomach does not tolerate well hours and hours of gels. It's hard to take 100 miles worth of bananas and oranges for my long rides, and I'm trying to mimick race day nutrition during all my training.

Fig Newtons are better. I'm not saying you should train with a produce stand attached to your bike, fresh produce just offers a much better calorie choice during the average day than what you are consuming.
2008-08-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1604090

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
bryancd - 2008-08-14 3:09 PM
SuzanneS - 2008-08-14 2:07 PM

Fig Newtons are better. I'm not saying you should train with a produce stand attached to your bike, fresh produce just offers a much better calorie choice during the average day than what you are consuming.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips/ advice!

2008-08-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1601611

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I can't believe you're not all STARVING constantly.  I'm eating piles of pasta, cups of rice, heaps of veggies, sushi, sweet potatoes, waffles with peanutbutter and berries, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, chocolate milk, lots of chicken breasts and grilled salmon filets.

i'd keel over during a workout if i only ate 4 gummy bears and 1.25 saltines for fuel (yeah, i exaggerate a little! ).

food is FUEL, people.  you wouldn't put water in your gas tank, would you?  then don't eat like a bird and expect to perform like a BEAST!

after that rant, though, i have to admit i'd kill for an little debbie oatmeal creme cookie. no kidding!

~B

2008-08-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1604152

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
getsome - 2008-08-14 3:27 PM

i'd keel over during a workout if i only ate 4 gummy bears and 1.25 saltines for fuel (yeah, i exaggerate a little! ).

Is it bad that I know 10-13 gummi bears = 100 calories? *hangs head in shame* yes I've used gummi bears as fuel. I have drawn the line at chocolate, but only because it melts in my pockets. Typically I alternate bad food with good food. But it's still not good for me. I know this. I think I use the training rides as an excuse to eat processed sugars. No, I don't think, I know I use this as an excuse. I need to get past that. The only way I'm gonna be able to fuel my workouts and drop this last 10 lbs I've worked so hard for is to stop eating the junk.

KSH, sorry to hijack your thread.

2008-08-14 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
ALL CALORIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL!

2008-08-14 6:43 PM

Extreme Veteran

We're discussing this in the iron distance forum so I asume you are all training for decent sized races so...

HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE POSSIBLY EAT SO MUCH CRAP FOOD DURING THE TRAINING SEASON?

I fall off the wagon a bit in the off season but once the training picks up I only crave good food. Yeah I have a "treat" every now and again (like a couple of times a week) but my body screams for healthy food the rest of the time. If I eat crap I feel like crap and train like crap.

Sure you have to be organised and spend time find the foods you like, but it is so worth it to train better, recover better, and feel good instead of fatigued all the time.

Gerrard

2008-08-14 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I'll play. But I don't look at calories so I can't post them. And I never eat a half of anything or count how many blueberries. I pile on however much looks what I want to eat and go with it. And most of what I eat is rather large servings. Sometimes huge. I haven't gained or lost a single pound since April.

--Bowl of cereal or waffles with fruit and soymilk
--Yogurt and a helping of fruit
--Chipotle, black bean, and sweet potato casserol with a veggie protein or white chili with fake sausage or a veggie patty sandwich, a burrito and roasted vegetables or ... you get it.
--Another helping of fruit and a granola bar
--Stir fry with tofu and brown rice or pasta with fish or something along those lines
--Ice cream and chocolate chips

And if I'm still hungry I snack at my leisure on whatever strikes my fancy (which right now is mini powdered donuts for some reason), plus I usually have an additional post workout recovery snack like slim fast or another yogurt or something.

Edited by MissKelly 2008-08-14 7:21 PM
2008-08-14 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1604811

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
MissKelly - 2008-08-14 7:20 PM

I'll play. But I don't look at calories so I can't post them. And I never eat a half of anything or count how many blueberries. I pile on however much looks what I want to eat and go with it. And most of what I eat is rather large servings. Sometimes huge. I haven't gained or lost a single pound since April.

--Bowl of cereal or waffles with fruit and soymilk
--Yogurt and a helping of fruit
--Chipotle, black bean, and sweet potato casserol with a veggie protein or white chili with fake sausage or a veggie patty sandwich, a burrito and roasted vegetables or ... you get it.
--Another helping of fruit and a granola bar
--Stir fry with tofu and brown rice or pasta with fish or something along those lines
--Ice cream and chocolate chips

And if I'm still hungry I snack at my leisure on whatever strikes my fancy (which right now is mini powdered donuts for some reason), plus I usually have an additional post workout recovery snack like slim fast or another yogurt or something.

Sorry! Your good up until lunch. Chipoltle? THERE IS NO HEALTHY FAST FOOD. I know, it's heartbreaking. Saturated fat and HUGE amounts of sodium. I haven't had fast food in 10 years. Ice cream and chocolate chips?! How about some grapes and fresh strawberries for a sweet late night snack? try again.

Edited by bryancd 2008-08-14 8:46 PM
2008-08-14 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I didn't mean Chipotle the fast food restaurant, but a chipotle pepper, black bean, and sweet potato casserole I made at home. Or is that the wrong name for the pepper? I just know it's red and it's hot and you have to be careful how much you use.

Oh, and I'm not giving up the ice cream. I have to have some indulgences.

Edited by MissKelly 2008-08-14 8:54 PM
2008-08-14 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Oh man, if I typed in what I ate every day... some of you would have a heart attack!

I have to say though... oddly I have never gotten any kind of cramps. Might be all the sodium from the fast food I eat? Or the Mexican food? Or the pizza?

2008-08-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1605050

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
MissKelly - 2008-08-14 8:53 PM

I didn't mean Chipotle the fast food restaurant, but a chipotle pepper, black bean, and sweet potato casserole I made at home. Or is that the wrong name for the pepper? I just know it's red and it's hot and you have to be careful how much you use.

Oh, and I'm not giving up the ice cream. I have to have some indulgences.

Still, I don't like all that burrito or fake sausage stuff. Zero nutrition.
2008-08-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1605106

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
KSH - 2008-08-14 9:23 PM

Oh man, if I typed in what I ate every day... some of you would have a heart attack!

I have to say though... oddly I have never gotten any kind of cramps. Might be all the sodium from the fast food I eat? Or the Mexican food? Or the pizza?

I haven't had pizza in years. Don't miss it either. Nutrition is a choice not everyone can or is willing to make.
2008-08-15 1:00 AM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
I recently had a body composition test done. I told her I eat between 2800-3000 most days of the week, she FLIPPED out, she couldn't believe I wasn't fat. I like training, cause I love to eat!!!
2008-08-15 1:11 AM

Extreme Veteran

But imagine how much better you could train and race with decent food!

Why is crap food seen as a treat? All it does is add fat to your body, leave you feeling down, and contains who knows what substances that who knows what they will do to you in the long term? Why would you choose to do that to yourself?

Learn to love the cause (making better food choices) and the results will come. 

2008-08-15 3:07 AM
in reply to: #1605125

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
The hard thing about eating LOTS of good food IM triaining I'm finding out is all the running to the grocery store. I live alone and I can't seem go through enough produce before it goes bad if I buy a week's worth so I have to stop at the store more often. Then there is the longer prep time that goes along with the good food. I've wasted a lot of money on fish and produce that I didn't have time to cook or eat before it went smelly. Living alone, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. I still manage to not fall back on fast food, but sometimes that's all I manage. I also work overnights which is a whole other kettle of fish when trying to figure out what to eat when.

The now, the late summer is ok because there is a farmer's market I can stop at on the way to the gym, but sometimes it seems like I have to choose between good food, getting the workout in, or sleep.

Anyone else living alone have this problem?

2008-08-15 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1605306

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
gymgirlx - 2008-08-15 1:00 AM

I recently had a body composition test done. I told her I eat between 2800-3000 most days of the week, she FLIPPED out, she couldn't believe I wasn't fat. I like training, cause I love to eat!!!

You're very young. Wait till you get into your late 20's and 30's, whole different metabolic ball game girlfriend!
2008-08-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #1605331

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
MADFOXZZ75 - 2008-08-15 3:07 AM

The hard thing about eating LOTS of good food IM triaining I'm finding out is all the running to the grocery store. I live alone and I can't seem go through enough produce before it goes bad if I buy a week's worth so I have to stop at the store more often. Then there is the longer prep time that goes along with the good food. I've wasted a lot of money on fish and produce that I didn't have time to cook or eat before it went smelly. Living alone, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. I still manage to not fall back on fast food, but sometimes that's all I manage. I also work overnights which is a whole other kettle of fish when trying to figure out what to eat when.

The now, the late summer is ok because there is a farmer's market I can stop at on the way to the gym, but sometimes it seems like I have to choose between good food, getting the workout in, or sleep.

It's ok to get frozen veggies and fruits. The veggies loose some nutrition and the fruit sometimes has added sugar, but it lasts and is readily available. Chicken can be frozen as well. Fish needs to be bought and used same day.
2008-08-15 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

MADFOXZZ75 - 2008-08-15 3:07 AM The hard thing about eating LOTS of good food IM triaining I'm finding out is all the running to the grocery store. I live alone and I can't seem go through enough produce before it goes bad if I buy a week's worth so I have to stop at the store more often. Then there is the longer prep time that goes along with the good food. I've wasted a lot of money on fish and produce that I didn't have time to cook or eat before it went smelly. Living alone, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. I still manage to not fall back on fast food, but sometimes that's all I manage. I also work overnights which is a whole other kettle of fish when trying to figure out what to eat when. The now, the late summer is ok because there is a farmer's market I can stop at on the way to the gym, but sometimes it seems like I have to choose between good food, getting the workout in, or sleep. Anyone else living alone have this problem?

same here  i love those steamable frozen bags of veggies though.. some tuna and a bag of veggies is quick to make, eat, and clean up.

I'll grill about 3 days worth of chicken and just piece on it.. my issue is it's over 100 degrees in texas so I don't like to use the stove,   I'll use the slow cooker [mine has a timer] so it either cooks while i'm sleeping or working 

2008-08-15 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Aside from my yummy corn quinoa blend pasta & my gluten free waffles I try to eat whole foods. O-k, so I have some small candy binges (milk duds) but for the most part I try to keep the ingrediant list for my foods very short. Most of that stems from the fact that there is gluten in every frick'n food on the planet, but it's also for the sake of respecting my body. I have a wonderful pizza crust mix that is sugar free, gluten free, soy free, egg free . . . It only has 7 ingredents and once you get used to the taste it is fine. I found that with most foods there was a 'taste bud learning curve', but once I switched (and dealt with the whining of the kids for a few meals) we got used to the good stuff.
Need some extra calories that are good for you & easy, make a smoothie. You can find flash frozen fruit in the organic section that has no added sugar. Get some plain frozen or reg. organic yogurt, add some ice and milk if you want. It is great, easy and fast. I have found w/ the IM eating it has to be fast - either made in advance or easy to grab and eat. When I am hungry I am hungry NOW and waiting 5 min. is an ugly thing for anyone around me. I keep nuts w/ dried cranberries stashed everywhere so that I can get my fix.
2008-08-15 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Great tips. Keep 'em coming!

2008-08-15 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island

I have this problem all the time. It's been tough while trying to work full time (sometimes overtime) and train. And I prefer to cook all my own food too rather than eating out, but sometimes do end up buying it all only to have it go bad because I didn't have time to do anything with it. So when I have some rare down time I try to make healthy foods I can freeze and pull out for meals over the next couple weeks. But sometimes I have to go with the healthiest pre-packaged frozen meal I can find or the healthiest hodge podge options I could piece together at the grocery store that can be grabbed quickly as a last resort as I run out the door in the morning. Some days it's either that or fast food or I skip lunch since I couldn't make my own hyper nutritious one.

I may lose some nutritional value in the process at times, but I do the best I can and forgive myself when reality dictates that I can't plan out a scientifically perfect down to the last good quality calorie diet each and every day.
2008-08-15 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I only go once a week. So what I buy has to last the week.

For two weeks in a row I lost a bag of lettuce for salad because I didn't get it to it quick enough. The same with fruit. So I have to make sure I eat that stuff first.

I don't eat meat, so I don't have issues in that area.

My main problem is with COOKING! First, I am not creative in the kitchen. Nothing but basic stuff for me. Second comes the the TIME it takes to cook.

When I only have 1.5 hours at night to... talk to boyfriend on phone, cook/eat dinner, unpack two workout bags, repack two workout bags, and shower... cooking doesn't happen. It's all I can do to warm up a frozen meal.

The other issue I have with cooking is that I make too much and then I have to eat on it for 3 meals. It's hard to cook for just one person and not have left overs. Some left overs are OK, but there comes a point where you don't want to eat the same meal over and over again.

Otherwise, yes I should eat a cleaner diet. For all the exercise I do and being vegetarian, I should be thin with like 10% body fat. I'm not fat, but I'm certainly not very thin... and I have a nice layer of fat on my lower tummy. Yes, it's from the pizza, Mexican food, etc. I know that.

There are times in my life when I have eaten healthy... 1600 calories a day... and I got my body fat to 18% (right now I'm at 25%)... through eating healthy and doing weights. But let me tell you, it was miserable. I was hungry. I went to bed dizzy from being so hungry. It was hard. All I thought about was food and getting to eat again. Sure, I don't have a perfect body right now, and I could lose 10 pounds, but I'm not willing to be that miserable.

2008-08-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1605595

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-15 9:34 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Bryan, quick question for you, if you don't mind me asking- how much do you spend per week on food? Not on gu's and specific training food, but on all the other food? What does your weekly grocery bill look like?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat? Rss Feed  

of 3