Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2008-04-30 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
WELCOME TO ALL!!!! We now have a crew of 13, so I think I may cap it there.... However if anyone from my old group chime's in... THEN THEY ARE ALLOWED... THEY ALREADY HAVE A PLACE IN MY HEART!

If any others are interest then we will take them in as well. I am just going to have Ron change the subject line!

I have been "mentoring" for the last couple years. I really enjoying seeing people's progression, success, and experiences!!! I am by no means an expert, but have been doing triathlons for about 8 years or so, and I CAN FOR SURE TELL YOU WHAT NOT TO DO!!!

I am currently at work right now (SHOCKING---SURFING BT!), but I will dive in a little more later. I love when EVERYONE CHIME'S IN ON EACH OTHER WORKOUTS, COMMENTS, RACE'S, EXPERIENCES, ACCOMPLISHMENTS (THIS IS HUGE--- YOU BIKE THE FARTHEST YOU EVER HAVE, RUN THE FARTHEST, ETC... LET US KNOW!!).....

2008-05-01 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - OPEN
The sprint training is over, time to step it up for the olympic. My question is, heart monitors. How useful are they and is it worth it? My laziness is showing through and it seems like a lot of work to find all the maximum ranges on the bike vs running etc. Plus, I run with a Nike-iPod sports sensor that attaches to my shoe and communicates with my iPod to tell me speed and distances (etc) so how would a heart rate monitor interfer with that? Thirdly, it is one more training gadet to buy. Is it really worth it?

What are your thoughts?
2008-05-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1374747

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Good question Tracy... I was wondering the same and also thinking about purchasing one in the near future.  How much does one need to spend to get a decent one?

Also, I just joined a new health club that offers VO2 Max testing.  Has anyone done this and is it worth it?  I believe I have a discount for being a new member so I may take advantage of it since it is not cheap.

2008-05-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1374834

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
texwilk - 2008-05-01 10:56 AM

Good question Tracy... I was wondering the same and also thinking about purchasing one in the near future.  How much does one need to spend to get a decent one?

Also, I just joined a new health club that offers VO2 Max testing.  Has anyone done this and is it worth it?  I believe I have a discount for being a new member so I may take advantage of it since it is not cheap.

My wife is getting hers done today. I think it was around 150 or so.

I have been trying to read up on using heart rate zones for training, alot to read but it looks like a good way to measure how hard (or not) you are working during your workouts.

Here is an article on it.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/HeartMonitorTraining...

Edited by dalessit 2008-05-01 10:49 AM
2008-05-01 10:55 AM

User image

NYC, NY

The HR monitor is a neccesity but the one that you chose depends on your goals. Are you a First timer or experienced triathlete?

As a newbie to the sport I bought a basic polar RS100 watch which gives you HR, stop watch and Lap times (also cals burned)etc. These are the things that are needed initially. I love the watch and have recommended it to others. (and they have loved it to) It costs about $100ish dollars here in NYC. While initally training for your first or second events, my feeling is that you just want to keep an eye on your HR as it pertains to your  perceived effort  as well as clocking your overall/minute mile time.  

Now, I am in my second year of training and looking to get into the more technical stuff that goes along with it. However although I have a more upgraded model... I still love my basic watch and will continue to use it until it dies. (along with the upgraded model)

I hope this is somewhat helpful..... 

2008-05-01 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Check out this post

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

165 for the Garmin 305 that is quite a good deal.

2008-05-01 11:26 AM

User image

Pro
Tracy

That is kind of a loaded question. For me (my 2 cents!) it really depends on what you are looking to get out of the HR monitor. If you are looking to lose weight then I would say yes get one (there is a fat burner level that you are suppose to workout at-- don't know technical lingo).

Another factor is what "distances" you will be getting into. The longer the distance race, it seems like the more they push for training in specific HR ZONES. I enjoy using one because it allows me to track my fitness level, and the progressions that I have made, or in my case how far I am off right now!!!

The VO2 testing is a great tool because you may find that you are some sort of GENETIC FREAK like Lance Armstrong, and can run your HR at a Higher Rate than normal. This is indeed the case for me, and I think that this is due to 20 years of SOCCER. I can run my HR comfortably about 10 beats higher "than normal" at my age.... This also helps me in training.

You can find some pretty cheap ones (HR MONITORS), AND VERY EXPENSIVE ONES.... It is all a matter of what you are looking to get out of it. I have one that I can use on my bike (Polar CS400), and the same HR strap works w/ my wrist watch (Polar 650) that I use the entire race (but mainly for the swim and the run), then I have 2 hiking watches made by Suunto. One works w/ a GPS attached to my arm (great for running as well... I think it is called the T3), and the other is called the Suunto X6HR (this links to the computer, and tracks elevation gain/loss, compass, degree's, etc)....

There are a million choices (and I hope my wife doesn't read this or she will be pissed about all my gear!)..... I love toys!
2008-05-01 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1375199

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Yeah, I love toys too and need to watch the amount of ca$h I am spending right now since I just purchased a entry road bike (oh, and of course a baby due in July).  For some reason my wife probably won't want me to pick a nice HR monitor over a crib. 

They are offering the VO2 max testing at my club for $100 I think and I have a $25 off coupon so I may have to take advantage of that.
2008-05-01 12:33 PM

User image

I'm an oldie...from the other group. But with my first triathlon less than 2 weeks away, I'm going to need you all more than ever!
2008-05-01 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
I am really excited about this group! We have a lot of experience amongst everyone... Strong swimmers, strong cyclist, and a bunch of 1/2 mary's under people's belt....

A couple things I ask (if you would like!)....
1st) Share your struggles, accomplishments, and questions. You may have some question that someone else may have, but they are afraid to ask.... WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER!

2nd) Let us know if you are racing that weekend... BT VIBES ARE GREAT!! ASK TRACY (from her race last weekend!)

3rd) Using the "LOGBOOK" to keep track of your workouts.... If it great to see your totals for the year, week, month, etc... as well as the time you struggled to run 2 miles, but now you are doing 10 mile "JOGS!!!"

4th) Set up email notification for this (located at the bottom of the thread on the right side!). That way every time someone post something you can ALL READ IT AND congratulate them, answer their question, or give them a hard time!!! Banter or smack talk is always good!!!

Actions
Toggle e-mail notification

This is what it looks like on the bottom.....

Now if you want to put a face to the name of me:

(Mutt.jpg)

(5 Mile.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Mutt.jpg (33KB - 29 downloads)
5 Mile.jpg (31KB - 29 downloads)
2008-05-01 1:51 PM

User image

Dallas

i ordered a heart rate monitor as just a means to see how much effort i was putting out during my workouts.  it's nice when you are running and trying to get into a nice comfortable pace......you can just look at your HR and it's another way of letting you know how hard your body is working.  i haven't used it for the technical zone type workouts but maybe i will once i get into longer distance races.

i've got a good question for the group.  i am doing my first ows in 3 weeks.  the rest of my races this year will be ows, so i am in the market for a wetsuit.  a couple of friends have promotion sleeveless suits and are very happy with them.  does anyone have any insight into this brand and whether or not i should go with sleeves or not?   i live in texas and most of the races i will do are in low 70's water temps.  nothing that cold.  any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Squatch79 2008-05-01 1:52 PM

2008-05-01 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
My goal is improved endurance fitness and strength, not weight loss. The longest I have run is 6 miles. I will be doing an olympic with a 1k swim, 40K bike, and 10K run, and later a 10 mile run (and depending on how that goes, a 1/2 marathon). Therefore I am looking to have strength and endurance to last over 3 hours. Thus far my training has been based on rate of exertion and building muscle memory. I have developed from not being able to run 400yds continuously to regularly training with 5K's 2x a week. I am thinking a HR monitor would be good when following a plan that requires "easy" days. I come from the old school of thinking that if you weren't pushing yourself, you weren't training. Therefore, I have some learning to do.

Do the wrist monitors alone work as well as the ones that have the chest band? I've heard they don't.

HEY LAUREN, GREAT TO SEE YOU! It looks like Jessica, you and I will be filling the female demographic. CHICKS TRI BEST!!!!!!!
2008-05-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1375788

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Craig,

I've asked the same question many times. Here is the summation of my probing.

If swimming is not a super strength, then the extra buoyancy offered with a full wetsuit is an advantage.
2008-05-01 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1374935

User image

Calgary, Canada

That is a great article

I enjoy a heart rate monitor.
2 examples. I have attempted to "be a runner" many times in my life, but have given up every time due to injuries, motivation. With a heart rate monitor I found out that I was basically working way too hard and was not able to keep going the longer distances without injuring myself.
Many times I bike out west towards the Rocky Mountains and have a hard time, just wresting in my 3th lowest gear doing just 20km/hr . Are my tires flat, brakes rubbing or am I sick? But the heart rate monitor is telling me that I am working hard, and sure enough when I head back east I am just flying.... tailwind

I got the Garmin 305, a heart rate monitor with a GPS. It is great to be able to run anywhere and exactly know how far and how hard you have been working. It looks bulky, but it is light and comfortable and you can run and strap it on your handlebar. Highly recommended

2008-05-01 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Following Steve's lead.  Here's me at the Pike's Peek 10k in Rockville, MD. Clock times are disheartening, until you remember that you actually went off 1:30 or so after the Elites

2008-05-01 10:56 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I started from couch in like late September of 07 I think. I have completed a sprint tri in December 07 and 10 mile run in March of 08.

I am signed up for a half mary Avenue of the Giants for this Sunday, but have been sick for 2 weeks and not so much better atm. I am not sure as to whether I will go or not.

Longest bike ride in practice is 60 miles.
Longest run in practice is 16 miles.
Longest swim.. well I havent done any swimming outside that sprint tri in years other than diving in off the boat and such. (no place to swim within 100 miles of home in the winter. )

Biggest frustration: I have been sick most days or recovering from illness for past 3 months ish, have had minor issues with aches and pains, shin splints, knee, foot, blisters, etc. nothing huge but frustrating as I havent been able to do more than maintain at best since January. And not having anywhere to swim I suppose.

Anyway, no solid food for me yet so not sure about Sunday. Oh well time for dinner, ensure or whatever it is called and maybe some crackers 8).

2008-05-02 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1377039

User image

Champion
Are any of you using a coach?

Both my wife and I are doing sprint Tri's this summer and an olympic in November. She is also doing a marathon in there (I am no where near that with my current running...)

We have 2 small kids so when I get back from my ride I "tag" her to go out so I watch kids and she rides.

There are some really good Tri clubs in our area that do group workouts but those just don't work for us with our schedules.

Our theory is that a coach can help design a custom plan that will work with our schedules/strengths and weaknesses.

The coaching we are looking at will design a plan and work with us on technique for swim/bike/run.

2008-05-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1377339

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Hey Dale,

No coach here, and here's my reasoning:

The plans available on BT in the paid section are more than adequate to get you into the gym/on-the-road/etc. and take care of the first difficult part of doing triathlons -- getting out and training.

If you can follow one of the fairly specific plans here, with your own tweaks based on your schedule, ability, needs, I think you can get away without having a coach.

Where I feel a coach definitely helps is once you have the base and the basic knowledge, then they can work with you to meet your new needs ("be faster," "be more aero," "better endurance off the bike," etc.) and really customize a plan that will work on your weaknesses while bolstering your strengths.

Not at all to say that a coach won't be beneficial, and if it gives you the motivation/support needed to reach your potential, go for it. But it isn't a silver bullet.

Good luck!

2008-05-02 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

I ordered a HRM today.  I've never used one, but it was on woot.com for $20 so it seemed like a reasonable price to try one out.  I've seen posts refering to workouts in various HR zones.  How does one establish their zones?

I also picked up some new running shoes today.  I've had some issues with mild PF and then some hip pain - both of which I think were caused by inadequate running shoes.  So I hit up the LRS today and got properly outfitted.  I ran up and down the block in so many different shoes that I joked w/ my wife that I was going to have to log it as a work out.  The best thing is, my hip actually felt better when I left, after running in the different shoes, than it did when I got there.  I sure hope I've solved my problem and can resume running again.

2008-05-03 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1379387

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2008-05-03 12:19 AM

I ordered a HRM today.  I've never used one, but it was on woot.com for $20 so it seemed like a reasonable price to try one out.  I've seen posts refering to workouts in various HR zones.  How does one establish their zones?

I also picked up some new running shoes today.  I've had some issues with mild PF and then some hip pain - both of which I think were caused by inadequate running shoes.  So I hit up the LRS today and got properly outfitted.  I ran up and down the block in so many different shoes that I joked w/ my wife that I was going to have to log it as a work out.  The best thing is, my hip actually felt better when I left, after running in the different shoes, than it did when I got there.  I sure hope I've solved my problem and can resume running again.

HAHA I am such an internet nerd...

http://www.marathonguide.com/FitnessCalcs/HeartRate2calc.cfm

Enter your resting and max heart rate. The rough estimate max heart rate formula is to subtract your age from 220 (226 for women)
2008-05-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1379479

User image

Expert
B'ham

dalessit - 2008-05-03 4:28 AM  HAHA I am such an internet nerd... http://www.marathonguide.com/FitnessCalcs/HeartRate2calc.cfmEnter your resting and max heart rate. The rough estimate max heart rate formula is to subtract your age from 220 (226 for women)

Thanks, for some reason I was under the impression it was more complicated than that.

2008-05-03 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1379387

User image

Pro
cadmus - 2008-05-02 9:19 PM

Nice work...

The 3 things I don't skimp on ($$$ WISE) is Bike Shorts, Running Shoes, and Nutrition..... To me they are all vital to you feeling good during your workout! Matt.... I just noticed B'Ham... It this Bellingham?
2008-05-03 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
yep, I'm up in Bellingham.  The Clear Lake tri in Mt. Vernon is going to be my first tri.
2008-05-03 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Nice... I come up there a ton for work, and will be up there running the North Face Endurance Challenge next weekend. http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/

I love swimming in Lake Padden, and running out from the park... It is one of my favorite workouts!!!

We will have to get together when the weather get's a little warmer!!
2008-05-03 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
wow. talk about new. I had a heck of a time finding the group again. Any way as I said I am new to the sport. Any advice that you can give to someone who has never done a tri would be greatly appreciated. I have about a month to go before my first one. Average workout for each section ..... run about 7.5K. (4.8 miles). 20 -30 k (12 to 19 miles) bike and I can manage a slow 600 meter swim.
Also what is the easiest way to get into this site to check out the messages.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78