BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1859323

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - OPEN
kellc09 - 2008-12-17 12:52 PM

Hi Roni!   Sure we have room!  Give us your bio

Thanks Kellie! Here it is:

NAME: Roni 

STORY: I live in Kalispell Montana, but spend most of my time traveling around the Pacific Northwest in an RV with my husband, who has to travel for his job. I started training for triathlon in 2007. I had never run a mile straight in my life, and only swam and biked recreationally. I used a couch to sprint program from BT and learned to run, swim with my face in the water, and bike without coasting 60% of the time. I completed my first sprint in August 2007 and was hooked.  I have found having a goal, such as a race to complete, to be absolutely essential in keeping me active. It really has become a lifestyle at this point, and I'm lovin it! 
FAMILY STATUS: I'm 38, married and have 2 daughters who are 18 and 20 years old. 
CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm training for my first marathon on April 4th, using the BT 20 week Marathon plan. I'm also swimming 2-3 times a week, and trying to bike 2 times a week for maintenance. I'm struggling with the biking a bit due to the weather and not wanting to get on the trainer. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 Sprint Triathlons, 1 Olympic Triathlon, 3 half marathons, a 10 miler, and several 5 and 10k's
2009 RACES: I plan to finish my first Marathon, complete my first HIM (Boise 70.3), and another HIM in August, as well as any other short distance races that will fit my schedule. 
WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost a total of 50lbs, and have kept it off for 1 1/2 years. Mostly through diet changes, but training has certainly helped my body composition and keeping the weight off.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone! Happy training!

2008-12-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1859320

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
hollybushellehill - 2008-12-17 12:51 PM

Any space for one more? I've been on BT for a little over a year now finishing my first tris last summer, 2 sprints and one offroad xterra. I desperately could use some motivation as my training the last couple months has been nonexistant! Looks like a great group - hope there's room!

PS...Hi Roni!!!

Hi Holly! It's great to be in a mentor group with you!

(Holly and I met here on BT, and did  The Summit Solstice Sprint together last June.)

2008-12-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1859520

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Roni!

Thanks for posting your bio!  I think thats cool that you travel around in a RV with your husband who travels for work.  My husband travels for work to, that would be nice.  Well, if we lived in a warmer climate

Thats awesome that you lost 50 lbs and kept it off, you may be able to offer some in this group looking for some advice on losing weight and keeping it off.  

roni_runnw - 2008-12-17 3:04 PM
kellc09 - 2008-12-17 12:52 PM

Hi Roni!   Sure we have room!  Give us your bio

Thanks Kellie! Here it is:

NAME: Roni 

STORY: I live in Kalispell Montana, but spend most of my time traveling around the Pacific Northwest in an RV with my husband, who has to travel for his job. I started training for triathlon in 2007. I had never run a mile straight in my life, and only swam and biked recreationally. I used a couch to sprint program from BT and learned to run, swim with my face in the water, and bike without coasting 60% of the time. I completed my first sprint in August 2007 and was hooked.  I have found having a goal, such as a race to complete, to be absolutely essential in keeping me active. It really has become a lifestyle at this point, and I'm lovin it! 
FAMILY STATUS: I'm 38, married and have 2 daughters who are 18 and 20 years old. 
CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm training for my first marathon on April 4th, using the BT 20 week Marathon plan. I'm also swimming 2-3 times a week, and trying to bike 2 times a week for maintenance. I'm struggling with the biking a bit due to the weather and not wanting to get on the trainer. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 Sprint Triathlons, 1 Olympic Triathlon, 3 half marathons, a 10 miler, and several 5 and 10k's
2009 RACES: I plan to finish my first Marathon, complete my first HIM (Boise 70.3), and another HIM in August, as well as any other short distance races that will fit my schedule. 
WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost a total of 50lbs, and have kept it off for 1 1/2 years. Mostly through diet changes, but training has certainly helped my body composition and keeping the weight off.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone! Happy training!

2008-12-17 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1859539

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
kellc09 - 2008-12-17 2:11 PM

Hi Roni!

Thanks for posting your bio!  I think thats cool that you travel around in a RV with your husband who travels for work.  My husband travels for work to, that would be nice.  Well, if we lived in a warmer climate

Now that our daughters are grown I am able to travel with him, which is nice, but it has been quite an adjustment  Its only been about 6 months and we're still trying to figure some things out, like how to keep the RV warm in the Winter. It's pretty cold here right now too. Luckily, he is usually at a job site for a few months at a time so we don't have to drive it around in the snow. We're headed back to Kalispell, MT tomorrow for the next week, but the RV will be staying in Pasco, WA.  

2008-12-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Montana
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

Thanks for letting me join the group! Here's a little about me:

NAME: Holly Hill, 28 years old, Montana

STORY:  I ran cross country and track through high school and some college. Have been a recreational runner, doing occasional 5 and 10ks. I never learned how to swim and had no interest in learning, but in 2004 I tore my ACL in a skiing accident and running became painful, so I took up mountain biking and started to go to the pool for therapy. Spent a couple summers mountain bike racing. Slowly started lap swimming, bought a road bike and finished my first tri last summer. Swimming is still my major weak spot, I could use some pointers there! I love anything outdoors, skiing, hiking, biking, rockclimbing, camping and mountain biking.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my boyfriend and just got 6 mo old heeler cross named Sula. She'll make a great running partner.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't have one single pink square this month!  The shame.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 sprint tris, 1 XTERRA long course tri, 2 24 hour mtn bike team relays

2009 RACES: I'd like to finish a half-marathon, a couple of XTERRA tris and a century mtn bike ride

OTHER STUFF: I'd really like to improve my swimming, seems like it was the major limiting factor in my races last year. Of course, one probable first solution is to go to the pool! I'm a vegetarian (pescaterian, actually, i occasionally eat fish) and am interested in nutritional aspects of training. For me, training and racing is all about keeping it fun. If it's not fun, I tend to lose interest quickly. I bought a bike trainer last month and have yet to use it! I'm really excited to have team motivation and to learn from all of you and your training experience.

2008-12-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1859520

User image

Master
I'm not sure how to include a quote...

But hi Roni -- I live in the PacNW (Bellevue, WA). I, too, am struggling with motivation to get on the trainer with the weather. It is so easy for me to throw on shoes and head out for a run, no matter what the weather. I think part of that is also that I'm never sure just what to do on a trainer to make it worth my while. I can choose a run in advance, or play around with pace as the mood hits, or decide to tackle a few hills, but I don't have that same creativity when I'm going nowhere. Have you chosen your 09 marathon?

Looking forward to the group.

Kellie, you mentioned adding you as a friend -- I'm not sure how to do that?

Kyla

2008-12-17 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Hey guys, Im including one more in our group.  She is in my area, is fairly new in tris and would like to join, so welcome her when she posts her bio in here!  She is Bronwyn1968
2008-12-17 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1859617

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Roni,

Just hit quote instead of reply if you want to reply to someones post with quoting theirs.  Its up in the right hand corner.

Also for adding me as a friend, go to your control panel (its over towards the left when you open your training log page), and click friends and type in kellc09.

Let me know if that was helpful!

kkcbelle - 2008-12-17 3:36 PM I'm not sure how to include a quote... But hi Roni -- I live in the PacNW (Bellevue, WA). I, too, am struggling with motivation to get on the trainer with the weather. It is so easy for me to throw on shoes and head out for a run, no matter what the weather. I think part of that is also that I'm never sure just what to do on a trainer to make it worth my while. I can choose a run in advance, or play around with pace as the mood hits, or decide to tackle a few hills, but I don't have that same creativity when I'm going nowhere. Have you chosen your 09 marathon? Looking forward to the group. Kellie, you mentioned adding you as a friend -- I'm not sure how to do that? Kyla

2008-12-17 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

I am so glad Kellie has let me join!!  She has been so helpful to me up until now.  I know she will be a great mentor!

NAME: Bronwyn, age 40 as of today!

STORY: When I was divorced I started running races and eventually ran a marathon (2007).  I have struggled with my weight and eating habits for a long time.  Recently, I decided I wanted to complete an IM.  So I bought an old road bike, took swimming lessons and here I am! I will be doing my first tri this summer. 

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged to a wonderful guy! I have three beautiful daughters to whom I try to be a great role model.  We all live together happily!  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for the Martian 1/2 Marathon in April.  I also am working on getting my swimming form down and riding my bike on the trainer as much as I can stand!

This year's races:  I ran the Martian 1/2 in 2:05.  I also was first in my age group in a 12k in Gaylord.  I ended up with an achilles tendon injury while training for the Detroit Marathon.  It was hard to give up training for and running that race. 

2009 Races: Martian 1/2 Marathon, Big Fish Sprint (my first tri), New Baltimore Sprint, Blue Water Oly, Detroit Marathon.  I am wondering if I should include a HIM in here...or wait...

Weight Loss: When I got injured, I gained 15 lbs! OUCH! I need to lose that and drop back under 140 lbs before the Martian 1/2 Marathon!  I really wish food was not an issue for me.

I want the holidays to end so I can get more intense about my training and eating!

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2008-12-17 4:58 PM
2008-12-17 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1859840

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Im glad you made it !

Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-17 4:55 PM

I am so glad Kellie has let me join!!  She has been so helpful to me up until now.  I know she will be a great mentor!

NAME: Bronwyn, age 40 as of today!

STORY: When I was divorced I started running races and eventually ran a marathon (2007).  I have struggled with my weight and eating habits for a long time.  Recently, I decided I wanted to complete an IM.  So I bought an old road bike, took swimming lessons and here I am! I will be doing my first tri this summer. 

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged to a wonderful guy! I have three beautiful daughters to whom I try to be a great role model.  We all live together happily!  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for the Martian 1/2 Marathon in April.  I also am working on getting my swimming form down and riding my bike on the trainer as much as I can stand!

This year's races:  I ran the Martian 1/2 in 2:05.  I also was first in my age group in a 12k in Gaylord.  I ended up with an achilles tendon injury while training for the Detroit Marathon.  It was hard to give up training for and running that race. 

2009 Races: Martian 1/2 Marathon, Big Fish Sprint (my first tri), New Baltimore Sprint, Blue Water Oly, Detroit Marathon.  I am wondering if I should include a HIM in here...or wait...

Weight Loss: When I got injured, I gained 15 lbs! OUCH! I need to lose that and drop back under 140 lbs before the Martian 1/2 Marathon!  I really wish food was not an issue for me.

I want the holidays to end so I can get more intense about my training and eating!

2008-12-17 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Here is my Bio, I look forward to this group! Seems like a great one so far!

NAME: David age 34

STORY:  Started this sport 2 years ago on a whim, some friends of my were having a few adult beverages and one mentioned an upcoming triathlon in town.  We started "training" (had no idea what I was doing) and got completely hooked.  That year we did about 5 sprint tri's and I had the genious idea to try a 1/2 with no base work, got through it with more pain than I have ever had.  Later in the year IMKY was still open so I thought I would try a full IM, this time I did it right with a coach and put in the time. Unfortunatly my body did not like the added running and stress fracture in my left leg screwed my training up most of the year.  I am not very patient so I never let it heal until about September.  Anyway this year year I want to become compeditive in the sport so if my body holds up I would love to have a great year.   Lately I have become a mentor to quite a few people that are "newer" to the sport and have really enjoyed that side of the sport.  I also helped out this year with our local tri and learned so much about the behind the scenes of the sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 yorkies, and a boxer (named Kona, my ultimate goal) that likes to run 5 minute miles lol

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished the winter bike program.  Nothing too structured until the 2nd week Jan.  Going to FL 1st week so I can't wait to bike and run outside.  Getting about 1.5+hrs per day right now just focusing on quality not quanity.

This year's races:  70.3 FL  Had an ok race but ran a total of 12 miles the 6 weeks before the race due to leg injury.  Did many sprints/oly for training (I love to race) against coaches advice.  Key race was IMKY had a great day (except the run) due to very little running. 

2009 Races:  May 70.3 fl, some sprints/oly, Aug 1 70.3 steelhead, Aug 30 IMKY, Nov IMKY

pretty full schedule but again I love the racing side of the sport, its what drives me.

Weight Loss: Never started this sport for weight loss but I was into working out pretty heavy and found that is not very useful in this sport.  Found that my body had changed so much and I was down about 50 lbs (from 210 to 160lbs)

Edited by razorxp 2008-12-17 7:05 PM

2008-12-17 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Hi Kellie,

I would like to join your group.  I have done a lot of running races such as 1/2 marathons, 10k's and I just did a duathlon after getting into biking.  I really like learning about the tris and want to collaborate with others about training.  Thanks!

2008-12-17 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1858318

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

kellc09 - 2008-12-17 8:40 AM Absolutely Greg... my only qualification for this group is that your motivated to improve in 09'! Thats pretty easy for a qualification! When they open this group public (or now I assume), go ahead and copy and paste my question/answers and replace them with your own answers to share with me, and what will be the group

STORY: I will be 49 2 days after Christmas and will be celebrating my 25th wedding aniversary this May.  This is part of the reason that I have decided to wait until 2010 to do my first IM.   2008 was my first serious year at tris.  I had done a couple in previous years, but I really caught the "bug" this year.  I am somewhat of a gear junkie, major analyst when it comes to multi-sport, perfectionistic(though I'm getting better! Isn't admitting it the first step to recovery?), and I do not have a tri bike.  I am a slow swimmer compared to the times I see on the training logs here on BT, fair on the bike, and okay on the run.  I am faster now though then I have ever been in my life and plan on getting faster in 2009.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 children, ages 19 and 22.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am doing a 14 week power cycling program that Jorge, another Bt'r is hosting.  I have started an awesome weight training program that a personal trainer friend of mine set me up with.  I am doing little running as I had a calf injury a couple weeks ago.  I hope to test it out this weekend if it is not too icy!  I travel extensively on business so it is hard to get training in and I need to join the YMCA so I have a place to swim when I travel. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: in 08' I did a 2 half marathons, Steelhead HIM,  and a handful of sprints, and 1 oly.

2009 RACES: I plan to do some marathons, some centuries, some sprints and 1-2 HIM.  I am trying to get a feel for racing longer distances to prepare me for the IM in 2010.  My schedule is on my blog.  Of course I could be convinced to join some of this group at some of their races if they are logistically feasible.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have no plans to lose any weight. 

2008-12-17 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1860017

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Gregkl - 2008-12-17 7:27 PM

kellc09 - 2008-12-17 8:40 AM Absolutely Greg... my only qualification for this group is that your motivated to improve in 09'! Thats pretty easy for a qualification! When they open this group public (or now I assume), go ahead and copy and paste my question/answers and replace them with your own answers to share with me, and what will be the group

STORY: I will be 49 2 days after Christmas and will be celebrating my 25th wedding aniversary this May.  This is part of the reason that I have decided to wait until 2010 to do my first IM.   2008 was my first serious year at tris.  I had done a couple in previous years, but I really caught the "bug" this year.  I am somewhat of a gear junkie, major analyst when it comes to multi-sport, perfectionistic(though I'm getting better! Isn't admitting it the first step to recovery?), and I do not have a tri bike.  I am a slow swimmer compared to the times I see on the training logs here on BT, fair on the bike, and okay on the run.  I am faster now though then I have ever been in my life and plan on getting faster in 2009.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 children, ages 19 and 22.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am doing a 14 week power cycling program that Jorge, another Bt'r is hosting.  I have started an awesome weight training program that a personal trainer friend of mine set me up with.  I am doing little running as I had a calf injury a couple weeks ago.  I hope to test it out this weekend if it is not too icy!  I travel extensively on business so it is hard to get training in and I need to join the YMCA so I have a place to swim when I travel. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: in 08' I did a 2 half marathons, Steelhead HIM,  and a handful of sprints, and 1 oly.

2009 RACES: I plan to do some marathons, some centuries, some sprints and 1-2 HIM.  I am trying to get a feel for racing longer distances to prepare me for the IM in 2010.  My schedule is on my blog.  Of course I could be convinced to join some of this group at some of their races if they are logistically feasible.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have no plans to lose any weight. 

Thanks for the bio!  I think waiting until 2010 sounds reasonable, and will give you this year to really knock out some good base distance and work on getting faster (if you want of course)

How are you liking Jorges power plan?  Ive looked at it, it looks pretty good!

2008-12-17 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1859993

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
razorxp - 2008-12-17 7:04 PM

Here is my Bio, I look forward to this group! Seems like a great one so far!

NAME: David age 34

STORY:  Started this sport 2 years ago on a whim, some friends of my were having a few adult beverages and one mentioned an upcoming triathlon in town.  We started "training" (had no idea what I was doing) and got completely hooked.  That year we did about 5 sprint tri's and I had the genious idea to try a 1/2 with no base work, got through it with more pain than I have ever had.  Later in the year IMKY was still open so I thought I would try a full IM, this time I did it right with a coach and put in the time. Unfortunatly my body did not like the added running and stress fracture in my left leg screwed my training up most of the year.  I am not very patient so I never let it heal until about September.  Anyway this year year I want to become compeditive in the sport so if my body holds up I would love to have a great year.   Lately I have become a mentor to quite a few people that are "newer" to the sport and have really enjoyed that side of the sport.  I also helped out this year with our local tri and learned so much about the behind the scenes of the sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 yorkies, and a boxer (named Kona, my ultimate goal) that likes to run 5 minute miles lol

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished the winter bike program.  Nothing too structured until the 2nd week Jan.  Going to FL 1st week so I can't wait to bike and run outside.  Getting about 1.5+hrs per day right now just focusing on quality not quanity.

This year's races:  70.3 FL  Had an ok race but ran a total of 12 miles the 6 weeks before the race due to leg injury.  Did many sprints/oly for training (I love to race) against coaches advice.  Key race was IMKY had a great day (except the run) due to very little running. 

2009 Races:  May 70.3 fl, some sprints/oly, Aug 1 70.3 steelhead, Aug 30 IMKY, Nov IMKY

pretty full schedule but again I love the racing side of the sport, its what drives me.

Weight Loss: Never started this sport for weight loss but I was into working out pretty heavy and found that is not very useful in this sport.  Found that my body had changed so much and I was down about 50 lbs (from 210 to 160lbs)

Thanks David!!   Injuries SUCK!  Im going through a little of it right now to.  Youve got a lot on your plate for this year coming off stress fractures so Im guessing the key for you this year will be to make it through injury free    Hopefully this winter will allow you some time to get back in the swing and build up those good base miles for harder work in the spring and through the summer!

2008-12-17 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1860028

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
[

Thanks David!!   Injuries SUCK!  Im going through a little of it right now to.  Youve got a lot on your plate for this year coming off stress fractures so Im guessing the key for you this year will be to make it through injury free    Hopefully this winter will allow you some time to get back in the swing and build up those good base miles for harder work in the spring and through the summer!

I took 6 weeks off of running and now I'm trying to build my base back up, right now my longest run is only about 7 miles (outside on soft trails)  This year my goal is to only run about 10% of my runs on asphalt/concrete.  I have to get my IMKY run to about 3:50/4HRS to have a prayer for my goal race time. 

2008-12-17 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1860048

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
razorxp - 2008-12-17 7:43 PM [

I took 6 weeks off of running and now I'm trying to build my base back up, right now my longest run is only about 7 miles (outside on soft trails)  This year my goal is to only run about 10% of my runs on asphalt/concrete.  I have to get my IMKY run to about 3:50/4HRS to have a prayer for my goal race time. 

Soft trail running is never a bad thing   I will probably be doing that myself this year.  I had a lot of pounding on the asphalt between training for the IM and then the marathon.    I wanted to take it in the trails more, but that involves driving a little ways to get to trails for me, and since the training is already so time consuming, I found it easier time wise to just stick close to home or run right from the house.   Live and learn though

2008-12-17 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
I definitely feel your pain. I've been going through the same thing with running and I'm trying to figure out what I should do. As I said in my intro, I broke my ankle pretty bad and had surgery at the beginning of April (1 plate & 8 screws). I just started running at the beginning of November mostly on the treadmill due to the weather. When I am able to get outside though it hurts a lot more in a shorter amount of than on the treadmill. Now I know that eventually it will strengthen back up again but, how will running on a treadmill/soft trails affect running on asphalt over the distance of up to a marathon? Should I just keep running on the treadmill/trails, or tough it out on the road?

Edited by zee744 2008-12-17 8:34 PM
2008-12-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1860093

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

zee744 - 2008-12-17 9:05 PM I definitely feel your pain. I've been going through the same thing with running and I'm trying to figure out what I should do. As I said in my intro. I broke my ankle pretty bad and had surgery at the beginning of April (1 plate & 8 screws). I just started running at the beginning of November mostly on the treadmill due to the weather. When I am able to get outside though it hurts a lot more in a shorter amount of than on the treadmill. Now I know that eventually it will strengthen back up again but, how will running on a treadmill/soft trails affect running on asphalt over the distance of up to a marathon? Should I just keep running on the treadmill/trails, or tough it out on the road?

I know for me it actually made me faster to train on the softer trails, once I hit the road I felt (times too) much faster.  In my short time of the sport if you try to "tough" it out your going to looose.  Today if I feel any "real pain" I quit running and jump on the elyptical or bike.

2008-12-17 8:47 PM

User image

Master
I do probably 90% of my running on trails. If I am training for a long race (1/2 mary or mary), inevitably I log some asphalt miles simply because my long out-and-back run takes me to a paved trail after 3.5 miles. I find that doing a little bit of asphalt running does help for longer distances. My feet tend to get more sore after a bunch of asphalt-pounding, so I think it's good to experience that from time to time -- and if you need to experiment with different socks or shoes it provides that opportunity. I have shoes I wear exclusively on trails, shoes that I prefer for runs less than 10 miles, and shoes that I like for long runs! That said, you will be much stronger if you run on trails. It requires a lot of ankle strength and core strength to navigate/balance on the trails, so that is always a good thing.

I am loving reading people's bios. I hope I can learn to keep everyone straight. Really cool histories and experiences out there...

Cheers,

Kyla
2008-12-17 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Hi Kellie, do you have room for one more in your group?

Edited by Buckshot 2008-12-17 9:49 PM

2008-12-17 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Sorry Kellie, I am new to this and missed that your group is closed.  I'll keep looking for another.
2008-12-17 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1859613

User image

Expert
hollybushellehill - 2008-12-17 4:35 PM

OTHER STUFF: I'd really like to improve my swimming, seems like it was the major limiting factor in my races last year. Of course, one probable first solution is to go to the pool! I'm a vegetarian (pescaterian, actually, i occasionally eat fish) and am interested in nutritional aspects of training. For me, training and racing is all about keeping it fun. If it's not fun, I tend to lose interest quickly. I bought a bike trainer last month and have yet to use it! I'm really excited to have team motivation and to learn from all of you and your training experience.

Holly-I am Pescatarian also. I eat salmon about once a week, and occassionally some shrimp. One of my goals in joining a mentoring group is to get some info about nutrional needs, so I'm glad there's atleast 2 of us with similar diets.

2008-12-18 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1860372

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2008-12-17 11:18 PM

I have a trainer but really don't like riding on it, but I have to due to the weather.  However, I am a little more motivated since I started a 14 week cycling program hosted by a Bt'r here.  It gives me a goal for each workout and is much better than just sitting on the trainer and slogging out an hour or so.  I am behnd, but that's okay.  His forum is in the mentor section under; 14 week cycling power program or something like that.  He has a link to his other blog site and you can download each weeks workout.  If you want to start at week one, I have it and can send it.  Or you can start at whatever week he has posted.  I think he keeps a couple weeks on there. 

Edited by Gregkl 2008-12-18 6:30 AM
2008-12-18 6:51 AM
in reply to: #1860479

User image

Expert
Gregkl - 2008-12-18 7:29 AM
slow turtle - 2008-12-17 11:18 PM

I have a trainer but really don't like riding on it, but I have to due to the weather.  However, I am a little more motivated since I started a 14 week cycling program hosted by a Bt'r here.  It gives me a goal for each workout and is much better than just sitting on the trainer and slogging out an hour or so.  I am behnd, but that's okay.  His forum is in the mentor section under; 14 week cycling power program or something like that.  He has a link to his other blog site and you can download each weeks workout.  If you want to start at week one, I have it and can send it.  Or you can start at whatever week he has posted.  I think he keeps a couple weeks on there. 

Ahhh.This is exactly why I need this group. I looked at that thread and thought I was reading Greek. It made absolutely no sense to me.

So, here are my first questions for every one:

Would taking a spin class at the Y explain some of the terms people talk about when talking about trainers?

I bought a fluid trainer at the beginning of December, and have been using it regularly. But my bike is really basic. I have a flat bar and wear regular sneakers. Have never tried clipless pedals or even the cages. Do I need to invest in some  things to get the full benefit of the bike and trainer?

Currently, when I'm on the trainer I do a "ladder" sort of thing. Working through the gears in one or 2 mionute intervals, after a warm up. This is totally my own invented program, based (loosely) on some elliptical programs I've done. Any suggestions to make it better?

I'll save my thousand swimming questions for another timeWink

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30