BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-12-20 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1857242

New user

Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
Awesome question Swise! I have often wondered the same thing. I wish I could offer more insight but hopefully tony or someone else in the group can.

2008-12-20 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1865292

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Books and Planning

Like you I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible.  I went through the Team-in-Training program which was AWESOME and gave me a lot of information.  Now I'm digging a lot deeper.  Here's what I've got:

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes - just started this.  Looks like the best so far.    Apparently this and the bible and TI (below) are the ones to get.  This is a much higher-level take on the bible and provides many detailed plans, which I haven't read through yet.

Triathlon Training Series DVD's - good stuff, good overview, will get you to intermediate in all three disciplines.

TotalImmersion.net: triathlon swimming, drill cards, fistgloves, new DVD - all are great and will get you swimming faster, longer and with less energy.

ChiRunning - good book, get the DVD instead - same coverage as book but you can see it.  Very good on decreasing energy expenditure on run.

Triathlete's Training Bible ed. 2: Got it, can only handle a few pages at a time, very complex but complete.

Bicycling Magazine's 1,000 All-Time Best Tips - still reading this - very good stuff if you're not a life-long, experienced cyclist.  Tips on riding, riding with groups, staying safe on the road, etc. (so far)

The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling - haven't started this yet.

Triathlete Magazine - always good stuff.

Edited by Steve Mark 2008-12-20 10:53 PM
2008-12-21 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hey Group,

I thought I would chime in about the base training...I LOVE it!  I get to run my comfy slow as heck pace.  Zone out to my music on my ipod..I was a 15 minute miler at top speed who had never run more than 5 miles at once when I started serious run training a few months ago..I trained for the ATL half and did 12 or so min miles which still sucks but for me was really good.  Main thing was that when I finished my legs were tired but the rest of me was just fine. Trying to stay in zone 1-2 HR is hard but I can feel my endurance improving.  I can go for three hours of running now staying in zone 1-2 the whole time.  Its slow but who cares..A year ago I couldn't run for 35 minutes, now that is just my warm up...Basically the idea is start doing your comfortable amount of time but try to keep your heart rate low.  then add more and more time.  Don't worry about distance just the HR and time.  I expect our mentor will explain it a lot better than me but I thinks that is the basic idea...

I have one request for our group.  I am very new to this sport as well and there are lots and lots of terms that get thrown around that I don't know what they mean and feel stupid asking.  Can we agree that if we use terms we will try to explain them?  For example I think I finally learned yesturday what a negative split was.  Its when the second half of your training session is faster than your first.  EX: you ride 32 miles. 16out and 16 back.  the first 16 you do a 15 mile an hour pace but on the way back you do an 18 mile an hour pace.  that's a negative split which is a good thing.  Am i right about the term?
I am really happy to have a group!  Go team tribesman!

2008-12-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1865565

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

afrutoz,

You are correct.  That is what a negative split is.  When the back half of your workout is at a harder effort than your first half.  Keep in mind that a negative split is not always time based.  Imagine if you have a 4 mile run.  The first two miles are at a slight downhill.  You easily cover the front half in 24 minutes.  Now you have to work harder to keep the same time for the back half.  You could finish it in 24:05 but had to work harder.  That is a negative split as well.  Hope I explained that well.

swise:

I will let Tony get into the HR (heart rate) training details and how you figure out your LT (Lactate Threshold).  But I can tell you that I drank the HR training Kool aid and it works well.  My coach had me run in my Z1 (zone 1) for a month straight.  I felt like turtles were passing me, but after that month he had me run a hard 12 miler and I ran it faster/mile and with a lower HR than I had a month prior.  Essentially, if done right, it makes your body more efficient at lower heart rates which allows you to become faster overall.

I guess your logs are private because I couldn't see them.  But, from the comment that you are doing most of your runs at an avg HR of 167 (max of 180) you are probably going too hard to get base work in.  But I can't say for sure. 

2008-12-21 11:18 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey team,

I'm headed to a family Christmas party but will jump back on later so we can tackle some additional questions. You all have some good ones! Keep it up!

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2008-12-21 11:59 AM
2008-12-21 11:46 AM

New user

Atlanta, GA

Ok,

I have a question or need some advice. I haven't run much for the last 6 years but I've been getting back into it over the last 4 months. The biggest problem I have is not respritory or cardiovascular, it's my legs...they just get tired really easily and start to hurt. What is the best way to train out  of this? Should I log more miles? Strength train? or what?

Any help would be great!

2008-12-21 11:51 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2008-12-20 9:11 PM

Books --

The Fit Swimmer -- had this one for a few years now. Good swim workouts but as you get up in distance almost all have butterfly which is like torture. In lieu of that I've utilized The Triathletes Guide To Swim Training - which has some pretty good training plans in it.

I read Triathlon Training by Eric Harr which was really good early early on b/c it is really an easy read and dumbs things down a lot - which I truly needed.

I have Triathlon Training by Michael Finch which I used for generalized training program for Olympic race. it has some good general information.

Lastly, I got The Triathletes Training Bible (Second Edition) by Joe Friel. When I got this I was mainly trying to read everything I could get my hands on. I quickly realized that this was far beyond where I was at. I plan on going back through this one b/c I realize it has really great information but I still feel a lot of it is over my head.

Other reading material -- looking on line and Triathlete magazine which has had some really good articles.

I still don't know what I need. What I want is someone/something to tell me exactly what workouts to do to build toward a 70.3 -- but with some flexibility b/c of my work schedule, family and church obligations. And preferably not one that says M - run for 30 minutes... I realize now that there is a benefit from having a balance of different kinds of training (intervals, long distance, base building...) I just don't know enough about it to know how to utilize everything effectively.

Urg!!!

My suggestion for a "topic of the week" -- base training by monitoring heart rate. I have heard about this and tried my darndest. From what I understand you try to run REALLY slow to keep your heart rate down over a period of weeks because it has a beneficial effect on your overall running ability. I can't seem to keep my heart rate down. I am doing good if my average heart rate is 167 with a max of 180. Can someone explain this phenomenon. Does it truly work? and what is the trick to keeping your HR low?

Susan,

Those are good books and I have read some of them. I too "tried' to read the Triathlete's Training Bible my first year and found it overwhelming. I am just picking it up again for references. As far as a defined training plan for 70.3 races, there are a couple of things you can do. One is to hire a coach who will help you establish a training plan based on your needs. He or she should make adjustments based on your personal life. The second way would be to utilize a "canned" training plan. There are some here on BT and I used the sprint plan for my first race. I then used tips and plans from Gale Bernhardt's "Training Plans for Multisport Athlete's" for my first half iron distance and Ironman races. It worked well for me. So...what was the biggest difference? I had no one to tell me if I was making a mistake and to help me make adjustments each week based on my mental and physical stressors.

As far as heart rate training, I think it is a wonderful thing! A basice heartrate monitor (HRM) is all you really need right now. There are a couple of ways to find these too. One is a field test for both the bike and run. Another is the use a calculated method.

A very basic way to predict your maximum heartrate (MHR) is to take 220-your age (for males) and 226-your age (for females). This is best for the run. Subtract 5 for the bike.

Once you know your heartrate, you can establish your training zones.

Zone 1= under 65% of your MHR (easy runs/rides, base training)
Zone 2= 65-72% of your MHR (long runs/rides)
Zone 3= 73-83% of your MHR (where you will proably race HIM/70.3)
Zone 4= 84-90% of your MHR (short course race pace)
Zone 5= 91-100% of your MHR (speed work!)

I used this formula for my HIM and Ironman training and it worked pretty well. When I established my "true" training zones via field tests, I found I was pretty darn close. This is a basic overview and I hope not too overwhelming right now. If you all are interested, we can discuss the field testing too.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1865491

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2008-12-20 11:46 PM

Like you I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible.  I went through the Team-in-Training program which was AWESOME and gave me a lot of information.  Now I'm digging a lot deeper.  Here's what I've got:

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes - just started this.  Looks like the best so far.    Apparently this and the bible and TI (below) are the ones to get.  This is a much higher-level take on the bible and provides many detailed plans, which I haven't read through yet.

Triathlon Training Series DVD's - good stuff, good overview, will get you to intermediate in all three disciplines.

TotalImmersion.net: triathlon swimming, drill cards, fistgloves, new DVD - all are great and will get you swimming faster, longer and with less energy.

ChiRunning - good book, get the DVD instead - same coverage as book but you can see it.  Very good on decreasing energy expenditure on run.

Triathlete's Training Bible ed. 2: Got it, can only handle a few pages at a time, very complex but complete.

Bicycling Magazine's 1,000 All-Time Best Tips - still reading this - very good stuff if you're not a life-long, experienced cyclist.  Tips on riding, riding with groups, staying safe on the road, etc. (so far)

The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling - haven't started this yet.

Triathlete Magazine - always good stuff.

Steve,

I mentioned this in a previous post to Susan but I really liked the Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. We can discuss the book and its plans if you all would like to. I also taught myself to swim using Total Immersion. I only used the DVD and drill cards. I think I spent about 8 weeks doing his drills and it helped me tremendously. I also found the Triathlete's Training Bible a bit overwhelming at first.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-21 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1865822

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA

I just finished reading the first part and going through a number of plans for the second part of "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes."  My issue is that as of tomorrow (Monday, 12/22) I have the following timelines:

Oly 19 weeks
70.3 30 weeks (11 week delta - 1 week recovery = 10 weeks effective)
Oly 38 weeks (8 week delta - 2 weeks recovery = 6 weeks effective)
70.3 43 weeks (5 week delta - 1 week recovery = 4 weeks effective)

Goals for the first Oly and HIM are to complete them mid-pack (<4h, <7h).  Goals for the second Oly and HIM are to podium (or just be faster, like <3.5h and <6h).

I'm trying to put together a training plan for this and here's where I've gotten to, based on the book and responses from Mike and Amy:

Limiter/pre-season training for next 3 weeks (been doing this for past 6 weeks)
16-week oly plan for Oly
12/13 week oly->him bridge plan starting in week 3 for HIM
8 week HIM speed plan for Oly (starting week 3)
4 week maintenance/speed for HIM

So, the questions:

1. The 16-week plans in the Programs section don't have workout details, just workout times.  How do I figure out what to do within the workouts?

2. I need to have strength training as part of the programs as last season I developed runner's knee and ITBS.  Also, I need rest/recovery periods of a week every 3-4 and a day a week at least.  Which plans would work for me, because I'm not finding ones with the details I need.

Thanks!

Edited by Steve Mark 2008-12-21 1:21 PM
2008-12-21 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi guys, I`m off work for the next 2 weeks so it should be a good training period for me. Been having trouble geting my hours up over 10 per week. Heres my story...

Name: Nathan

Residences: Ontario, Canada

Family Status: Married with 2 teenage boys

Story: I have been a runner for the past 5 years. I enjoy the half marathon distance and have run about 6 of them. I did a run with a guy in the summer of 07 whom had just finished his first ironman so I had a good talk with him about tris. Later that year I decided to train for one in July of 08. I learned how to swim and bought a bike (01 Trek). I raced a 30km and a 1/2 in the spring. My first tri was a sprint in July. Enjoyed the whole experience of the tri even the parts that went wrong. ( freaked out in the swim and kind of lost on the run (they changed the course and didnt tell us). 4 days later I was in a car accident that put me of training for about 4 weeks. That gave me 1 week to get ready for my next tri (sprint) as I already paid for it. It went as good as it could have and again I enjoyed it. Then I had a month till my first oly. I really enjoyed the longer distance and finish 10 minutes faster then planned, but...later that evening chipped a bone in my ankle and was off running for 8 weeks. It was during this time that I decided to sign up for IMKY 09. Just need to make it to the start line now injury free.

This years races: Full Marathon - Ottawa - May
Sprint tri - Welland - July
IMKY - Kentucky - Aug
2008-12-21 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1865873

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Thank you everyone for all your feedback and suggestions. I am definitely going to buckle down and implement over the month my base training. I am trying to keep up iwth adding you as friends and will update today.

Steve Mark - 2008-12-21 2:01 PM

So, the questions:

1. The 16-week plans in the Programs section don't have workout details, just workout times.  How do I figure out what to do within the workouts?

2. I need to have strength training as part of the programs as last season I developed runner's knee and ITBS.  Also, I need rest/recovery periods of a week every 3-4 and a day a week at least.  Which plans would work for me, because I'm not finding ones with the details I need.

Thanks!

That is my issue also. From what everyone is telling me it sounds like what I want is a personal trainer - but I can't afford a $75/m commitment. Has anyone tried the BT training plans in the silver/gold levels? What about the coaching forums that those levels also provide.

2008-12-21 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1865989

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA

I'm a gold member and have been asking the same questions in the coaching forum.  I've been getting some help, but they won't go into day-by-day detail, for that you need to sign-up with D3 for a coach.  They will help with overall planning and answer specific questions though.

2008-12-21 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1866051

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
this is for susan or anyone thinking about a coach....I know we all are severely limited these days in our finances. Even though I am broke these days too, I do really feel my coach ended up a really good investment.  The cost ends up being less per month than my personal trainer I met with once a week at the gym.  I also get good, cost saving advice from my coach.  He is looking at what I do everyday which keeps me honest.  He pushes me when I need it but MOST IMPORTANTLY he is really helping me train right and keeping me from getting injured.  I have already forked over the $500 for Augusta ironman so if I can train right and keep from being injured(which, if it happened, would mean I lose my entry fee), then I feel my coach (which costs about 500 for three months) is really worth it.  I would expect many coaches are looking for clients these days since the economy affects them too.  Ask around and negotiate, I bet you could find a coach who is willing to work with you on cost and that you would be surprised how inexpensive it is to get one.  I think the gold plans on BT are good but I like a human who calls me up and says 'hey where is your long run this week"...  if you really can't afford a coach at this point, we can all help you by looking at your training logs and trying to encourage you everyday.  you will need to log your workouts so tribesman can see them etc...the coolest thing about triathlon is that its for everyone no matter their age, size or financial situation!!
2008-12-21 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1865808

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ablemonkey - 2008-12-21 12:46 PM

Ok,

I have a question or need some advice. I haven't run much for the last 6 years but I've been getting back into it over the last 4 months. The biggest problem I have is not respritory or cardiovascular, it's my legs...they just get tired really easily and start to hurt. What is the best way to train out  of this? Should I log more miles? Strength train? or what?

Any help would be great!

Without knowing your medical history (and remembering I'm not a doctor ) I would say yes, you possibly need to run more or more consistently. How often and how long are you running? I find that if I take more than say 5 days of running, my legs feel "heavy" or tired. Do you stretch and/or foam roll? I do daily, especially after a long or challenging session. I also strength train and do movements that mimic one of the 3 sports. (ie, lat pull downs with my hands placed about the width of my swim stroke, step ups to mimic the pedal stroke while riding).

Gale Bernhardt (Training Plans for Multisport Athlete's) and Joe Friel (Triathlete's Training Bible) both describe these workouts and that is what I follow.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1865565

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2008-12-21 6:50 AM

Hey Group,

I thought I would chime in about the base training...I LOVE it!  I get to run my comfy slow as heck pace.  Zone out to my music on my ipod..I was a 15 minute miler at top speed who had never run more than 5 miles at once when I started serious run training a few months ago..I trained for the ATL half and did 12 or so min miles which still sucks but for me was really good.  Main thing was that when I finished my legs were tired but the rest of me was just fine. Trying to stay in zone 1-2 HR is hard but I can feel my endurance improving.  I can go for three hours of running now staying in zone 1-2 the whole time.  Its slow but who cares..A year ago I couldn't run for 35 minutes, now that is just my warm up...Basically the idea is start doing your comfortable amount of time but try to keep your heart rate low.  then add more and more time.  Don't worry about distance just the HR and time.  I expect our mentor will explain it a lot better than me but I thinks that is the basic idea...

I have one request for our group.  I am very new to this sport as well and there are lots and lots of terms that get thrown around that I don't know what they mean and feel stupid asking.  Can we agree that if we use terms we will try to explain them?  For example I think I finally learned yesturday what a negative split was.  Its when the second half of your training session is faster than your first.  EX: you ride 32 miles. 16out and 16 back.  the first 16 you do a 15 mile an hour pace but on the way back you do an 18 mile an hour pace.  that's a negative split which is a good thing.  Am i right about the term?
I am really happy to have a group!  Go team tribesman!

Afrutoz,

Great info! Now is the time to start building our base up so we are faster, stronger, and have allowed our bodies to get used to the pounding and pedaling for the spring, summer, and fall races. Many athlete's have a transitional period of say 4-6 weeks after their last race of the season, then start building up their base for another 4-6 weeks. With this said, your base should be 8-12 weeks from my experience. I keep my training in mostly z1 with some z2 thrown in. (I am going post another message about heart rate zones too)

Regarding your "terms" question, yes, I agree we should all explain what we are saying so the group understands. Remember , ther are NO stupid questions.

Here are some we have used so far:

TTB= Triathlete's Training Bible
TPFMA = Training Plans for Multisport Athletes
z1= zone 1
z2= zone 2
HRM= Heart rate monitor
MHR= maximim heart rate

Keep'em coming!

Tony
2008-12-21 8:03 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

Deciding to hire a coach is a personal choice. If you are looking for day to day or week to week services, tips, guidance, and a detailed plan, then I would say a coach is your best bet if it it financially feasible for you and your family. Plans will vary from a coaching providing a training plan for a month at a time to a daily one, depending one your needs. You will likely pay more for the latter. I will say shop around. Once you have it narrowed down to a handful, interview him or her. You will be paying this person for guidance and putting your training in their hands. I can discuss more once/if any of you decide to go that route. Also keep in mind, a personal trainer and triathlon coach are different.

Secondly, I encourage you all to log your training here on BT so me and the rest of the group can check it out and help everyone. Plus, it helps you see much stronger and faster you are as the year progresses! "But Tony, we don't see you loging your sessions here". I log mine with other online software, but I plan to start logging it here too.

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by tribesman 2008-12-21 8:16 PM

2008-12-21 9:27 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Well gang, that's it for tonight. I will jump back in and answer some additional and existing questions soon.

How did everyone's training go this weekend??

Tony
2008-12-22 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
If anyone in our group is thinking about doing the Augusta half ironman next September you might want to start thinking about signing up soon.  Its starting to look like it will sell out in the next month or so. 
2008-12-22 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1865873

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2008-12-21 2:01 PM

I just finished reading the first part and going through a number of plans for the second part of "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes."  My issue is that as of tomorrow (Monday, 12/22) I have the following timelines:

Oly 19 weeks
70.3 30 weeks (11 week delta - 1 week recovery = 10 weeks effective)
Oly 38 weeks (8 week delta - 2 weeks recovery = 6 weeks effective)
70.3 43 weeks (5 week delta - 1 week recovery = 4 weeks effective)

Goals for the first Oly and HIM are to complete them mid-pack (<4h, <7h).  Goals for the second Oly and HIM are to podium (or just be faster, like <3.5h and <6h).

I'm trying to put together a training plan for this and here's where I've gotten to, based on the book and responses from Mike and Amy:

Limiter/pre-season training for next 3 weeks (been doing this for past 6 weeks)
16-week oly plan for Oly
12/13 week oly->him bridge plan starting in week 3 for HIM
8 week HIM speed plan for Oly (starting week 3)
4 week maintenance/speed for HIM

So, the questions:

Thanks!

Steve,

I am going to take a look at my copy of "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" (TPFMA) and see how I can help. I thought it had workout descriptions based on codes but I could be mistaken. I will get back with you soon.

Regarding strength training, I think Bernhardt has a section on it in that book too? I actually used it and had good results. I believe it is very similar to Joe Friel's strength training plan in "Triathlon Training Bible" (TTB), although he goes into much further detail.

Regarding injuries...I hear ya sir!! I had over 9 months of physical therapy for patellar tendonitis. I did A LOT (A LOT!!) of exercises for my glutes, hip flexors, quads, hams, and calves. My PT had me do about the same amount of work on my core (abs, back) too. She said a strong core not only helps to heal injuries but assists with swimming, biking, and running. If you think about it, I think it makes sense as you need to be strong and stable with all three sports.

TEAM: I encourage you to check out some of the articles here on BT. Here are a couple to get you started. I like the "planks" with your forearms on the ground and a lot of the pilates movements. Trust me, core is going to be a topic of the week!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=140&authorid=0&pa...

Specifically, check out the "Hard Core" article for demonstrations on some of the exercises too.

I have mentioned this before and will continue to do so. We must stretch to ensure we can continue to training for this wonderful sport. Our bodies do not like ultra tight muscles. Also, I use my foam roller almost daily. Here is an example of why I do. After an intense session, think of how our muscles may develop a certain tightness in one area, much like they are "knotted up". Stretching helps loosen up most of the muscles, but it does not quite get them all. That is where the foam roller comes into play. Tie a knot in a rope...will pulling both ends loosen it up? No. The foam roller helps to smooth out the "knot" that we have in our muscles. You can find foam rollers in many places but here is where I found mine:

http://www.performbetter.com/ (search Foam Roller)

They even have a foam roller exercuse sheet on their site that you can print.

Thanks and keep up the good work gang!

Tony
2008-12-22 11:14 PM

having a strong core will also help prevent injuries as well....and your core should be treated like any other muscle in your base training/strength training. Make it strong!

and btw, those of you in CA and GA, I am jealous! It's cold here!!! 9 degrees. -10 with the wind chill.

Edited by ryan90 2008-12-22 11:16 PM
2008-12-23 5:37 AM
in reply to: #1868822

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ryan90 - 2008-12-23 12:14 AM

having a strong core will also help prevent injuries as well....and your core should be treated like any other muscle in your base training/strength training. Make it strong!

and btw, those of you in CA and GA, I am jealous! It's cold here!!! 9 degrees. -10 with the wind chill.

Great point re core used as a preventative measure!

Ouch, that is cold!!

Tony

2008-12-23 3:37 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

As we continue to discuss heart rate and heart rate training, I thought I'd share something else with you all. The easiest way to tell what zone you are in is the "talking test".

Zone 1 - you can have a normal conversation with ease. If you're by yourself, sing without going out of breath (good for base-building and recover training)

Zone 2 - you talk in short conversations to get your point across. (still used in base building and for Long Slow Distance (LSD) training

Zone 3 - small sentences

Zone 4 - grunts

This sounds simple, but it works well.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1865917

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2008-12-21 2:59 PM

Hi guys, I`m off work for the next 2 weeks so it should be a good training period for me. Been having trouble geting my hours up over 10 per week. Heres my story...

Name: Nathan

Residences: Ontario, Canada

Family Status: Married with 2 teenage boys

Story: I have been a runner for the past 5 years. I enjoy the half marathon distance and have run about 6 of them. I did a run with a guy in the summer of 07 whom had just finished his first ironman so I had a good talk with him about tris. Later that year I decided to train for one in July of 08. I learned how to swim and bought a bike (01 Trek). I raced a 30km and a 1/2 in the spring. My first tri was a sprint in July. Enjoyed the whole experience of the tri even the parts that went wrong. ( freaked out in the swim and kind of lost on the run (they changed the course and didnt tell us). 4 days later I was in a car accident that put me of training for about 4 weeks. That gave me 1 week to get ready for my next tri (sprint) as I already paid for it. It went as good as it could have and again I enjoyed it. Then I had a month till my first oly. I really enjoyed the longer distance and finish 10 minutes faster then planned, but...later that evening chipped a bone in my ankle and was off running for 8 weeks. It was during this time that I decided to sign up for IMKY 09. Just need to make it to the start line now injury free.

This years races: Full Marathon - Ottawa - May
Sprint tri - Welland - July
IMKY - Kentucky - Aug

Nathan,

Welcome to the team! How is your ankle?

I actually was an "IronSherpa"/ jockstrapper/supporter this year for a friend at IMKY so we can definately discuss it when you are ready!

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-23 4:34 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
QUOTE of the DAY

Here's one of my favorites that applies to tri in my opinion:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

A big part of triathlon training is consistency...

Tony
2008-12-23 6:35 PM

User image

Georgia Tech
Hey guys sorry I haven't been on very much. My best friend came back in town and I haven't been on the computer a whole lot. I just got a foam roller about two weeks ago and love it. I never really had problems with my IT band but I was starting to get knots and it's a great way to loosen those up. I like to spend a good 10-15 minutes stretching and rolling every night before I go to sleep. Anybody hoping to get any awesome tri stuff for Christmas?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17