BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-12-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1858909

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :)
Hi Karla,

The BT site has a great thread for bike threshold testing (and running).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have not done these because I currently do not train with a HRM, however I think that is my next step. For a while now I've begun to suspect my RPE is not an accurate measure -- as in I think I'm working really hard or feel like I should slow down when I really should be pushing through.

Also, I love running with the Nike+ when it's calibrated. I never do the same route twice or map out in advance which is especially great when I'm in an unfamiliar city. I also enjoy some of the running workouts from iTunes. The coaching is really motivational and it gets me to do speed and hill work I would otherwise avoid.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Sarah

2008-12-27 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1871684

User image

Elite

Socks - 2008-12-24 7:37 PM geez AMy I wanna be in your group too..cause you are cool..but I don't like horses....but you know this abot me You have an awesome group chiqua

wanna help??? gosh I'd be so privileged to have an IFD to help!

2008-12-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1871770

User image

Elite

tricupcake - 2008-12-24 9:59 PM I've been trying to stay away from the gadgets because they end up overwhelming me and make me not want to workout.  I have a friend who has the Nike + and he has had nothing but problems with them.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Garmin 305! I got it on Amazon for only $150, and its been awesome. Just b/c its a hrm plus keeps track of mileage.  I really do believe in HRM for effort level (I do an interval class for ten weeks that is a spinning class based solely on HR) especially for running.  There has been a LOT Of research that if you learn to run at a consistently slow pace for longer runs, you will start to get more efficient in your aerobic level. Eventually you'll be able to go faster and maintain that fat-burning level of HR.

Of course, you should always add in some interval work, or tempo runs. These is why I have no speed....any time I try to do some sort of speed classes, I get injured.  A tight hamstring/calf is NOT GOOD for speedwork.  

For those of you just starting on running, CONSISTENCY IS KEY. Thats my new motto. Run often!

2008-12-27 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Ooops - realized I wasn't at the end of the thread when I inquired about getting into this group.  You guys sound like just what I need...  Is there room for one more?  I have one sprint tri under my belt and a year of injury and wanting to get back into training.  Would love to join you but understand if it's not possible...  What do you think?
2008-12-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1873379

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

Sarah,

Thanks for the link to the thread discussing threshold testing! I have not read through the whole thing yet, but it is VERY interesting and lots of great info!  I will continue to read and learn...

I think I want to try to go get testing in a lab sometime in Feb. or March - then I will be a little farther into my half-marathon training mileage and will have recovered from very undisciplined holiday eating (hopefully!).  I did the New Leaf metabolic and threshold testing in May of this year, so I will be curious to compare.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

-Karla

2008-12-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1871528

so I am completely new to this site.....how do you add people as friends ?

2008-12-28 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1874478

User image

Elite
go to your control panel.  Then "edit your training settings". after that, choose the tab that says friends, and you type in someone's "name".
2008-12-30 11:55 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I know you guys are full. But will you take one more?

Please.
2008-12-31 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1879116

User image

Elite

Come on in.   Just be ready to train!  happy new year everyone!!!  I hope you all start it with a 5 k!  I'm doing a prediction 8k. How cool is this? you run 4.92 miles, without any watches, timing devices, sundials (hee hee, that was in the info) and try to finish as close to 11:00am as possible!  You can start whenever you like.

How about that for a turtle? speed doesn't matter!  Of course, watch this be the only time I run an 8 minute mile.

What is everyone's plans?

2008-12-31 12:10 PM

User image

New user

My plans for tomorrow include a half-marathon in snowy Albany NY...I have the option of trimming it down to a 3.25 mile race if I choose to do so, but I would really like to start the year out with a half.
2008-12-31 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
I just did a new-to-me gym apparatus - step climbing machine which brought on the burn in my thighs and glutes. My first race isn't until 2/14 - a 5 mile very hilly run.

2009-01-01 2:28 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Hi My name is Laura

I did my first Tri last year in honor of my 50th birthday. My sis-in-law and I were supposed to do it together but she backed out. I am glad I stayed with it.

I signed up with a group in my area- Team CWW. They help newbies get started with cross training.. So that helped. They had lots of rehersals for us. On all the rehersals I was the last one in. One time they were even taking down the run course as I came by. They felt bad. I had gotten lost on the run. I turned the wrong way some where. But I got back on track and finished. So I am deffinately slow but steady.
This year I plan on improving my speed.
I did the Tri for the Cure in Denver and I wasn't last. (in my age group but not the whole event.) It was great.

Goals for 2009 include the Honolulu sprint triathlon 5/09, the Tri for the Cure 8/09 and a team player in an oly tri in Sept.

I should probably find a 5k to get my running/ walk up to par. I have been doing the tread mill at the gym. But I need to improve.

Laura
2009-01-01 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

No race for me today.  Just trying to keep up with my training plan. 

So far, so good, on the training (I think - I'll definitely be interested in some input), but my New Year's resolution/goal is to improve my eating habits.  I tend to be all or nothing on my will power.  I can do really well on eating very nutritious foods, but I am not good at stopping when I have had enough, and when I get started on the sweets, I have a hard time stopping (thus the extra 20 pounds since last spring).  I fall into the worst patterns at night after dinner.  I would like to develop normal and sustainable eating patterns that will allow me to perform as well as my body and my training will allow me to.  Any suggestions on breaking bad patterns and forming good habits?

2009-01-02 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1881516

User image

Veteran
Everett
carteroak - 2009-01-01 2:44 PM

I tend to be all or nothing on my will power.  I can do really well on eating very nutritious foods, but I am not good at stopping when I have had enough, and when I get started on the sweets, I have a hard time stopping (thus the extra 20 pounds since last spring).  I fall into the worst patterns at night after dinner.  I would like to develop normal and sustainable eating patterns that will allow me to perform as well as my body and my training will allow me to.  Any suggestions on breaking bad patterns and forming good habits?

Oh man - I could have written that!!  I'm the same way, I don't just slip in my eating (or training for that matter).  Once I give myself 'permission" it's like all will power goes out the window.  I'm sitting here at work with a bag of mini milky ways - I haven't had one but they're calling my name.  My friend said "oh - just have one, it'll be ok"  She doesn't understand.  1 leads to 20.  No middle ground.  so I'm not eating even one.  And I'm not moving them.  I want to conquer this. 

2009-01-03 2:06 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I am so stoked. I just got my bike fitted to me. Only have had it a year. But my hands keep going numb every time I ride. SO the guy raised my handle bars and brougth them closer. Now we will see how I do. Unfortunately it is trying to snow. So no ride today.
But I can't wait to get out side on the bike.

Edited by shanaspree 2009-01-04 1:21 PM
2009-01-04 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i am a turtle, too - can you fit me in?????
Nancy

2009-01-04 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
My training starts tomorrow.  I'm starting with a sprint program and I have a 15 min swim and a 20 minute wog.  One of my goals this season is to run the entire 5k.  I have a long way to go, but not as far as last year when I first started training.
2009-01-05 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1884304

User image

Elite

Bike fit is awesome!  that is key. I drive 3 hours away to get mine done....he's so great at it that its worth it!

in regards to temptations, geez, we all have them. I do my best by not keeping ANYTHING in the house. that way I HAVE to go out and get them. Being on the sugar challenge is definitely helping. I walked rigth by all the dunkin donut minis in the faculty room today!  Now when I have a sweet cravign, there are only a few options to me:

• hot chocolate (only allowed post very cold bike or run
  • pure orange juice
  • apples/grapes/strawberries/bananas/watermelon

I can't believe I've gone without chocolate for 2 weeks, but its working. I'm still not sans sweet tooth, but I'm getting better.

And working out? its definitely PLANNING for it. I was sorely disappointed that my friend hadn't worked out in a week, and I really told her its just unacceptable. She had the time, being tired or the weather being crummy just doesn't cut it. I told her I'd bring both my bikes and meet her. We got in an hour bike ride. She was amazed at seeing all the other people out there biking in this cold weather, and so she realized she just needs to stop being a wimp. Its not THAT bad.  she also needs to keep the equipment in her car and start organizing her day around a daily workout.

Don't go home after work then expect to get to the gym!  For those of you that make lots of excuses, that is just too easy an out. Much easier to go to the gym then go home...figure it out! there is always a way!

2009-01-05 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1886777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
turtlegirl - 2009-01-05 10:51 AM

And working out? its definitely PLANNING for it. I was sorely disappointed that my friend hadn't worked out in a week, and I really told her its just unacceptable. She had the time, being tired or the weather being crummy just doesn't cut it. I told her I'd bring both my bikes and meet her. We got in an hour bike ride. She was amazed at seeing all the other people out there biking in this cold weather, and so she realized she just needs to stop being a wimp. Its not THAT bad.  she also needs to keep the equipment in her car and start organizing her day around a daily workout.

Don't go home after work then expect to get to the gym!  For those of you that make lots of excuses, that is just too easy an out. Much easier to go to the gym then go home...figure it out! there is always a way!

I know that for me, working out after work isn't going to happen.   I am way too tired after work to get to the gym.  So, I got up at 5:15 this morning and went to my first workout of the new year and my first workout in about 3 months.  I'm a little tired today, but I am probably less tired than if I wouldn't have gone to the gym.

2009-01-05 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi guys, thanks for all of the inspiration and encouragement. It looks like we have a diversified group coming together. I really like Amy's no excuses attitude. That will really help keep us all on track. I also love hearing about your successes in overcoming temptations with food and the different ways we all deal with those cravings. Congratulations on not opening the Milky Ways and walking past donuts!

Me - I'm down for the count with a horrible virus and no appetite at all - ah the blessing of sickness.

Hopefully by Wednesday I'll begin my 'official' workout plan and faithfully log in those workouts for you all to critique for me.

Special request - would you all mind signing your name at the end of your posts until I have a chance to connect everyone? It seems like there are quite a few of us and that may take me a while.

Sarah
2009-01-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1887232

User image

Elite

I know that for me, working out after work isn't going to happen.   I am way too tired after work to get to the gym.  So, I got up at 5:15 this morning and went to my first workout of the new year and my first workout in about 3 months.  I'm a little tired today, but I am probably less tired than if I wouldn't have gone to the gym.

good girl!  for most of the people in the tri world, this seems to work.

I have lots of friends that do their training on their lunch break (god I envy them!).  This would NOT be allowed at my school (they think I'm crazy running after school!) but again, if you have the 20 min to get in a run, go for it!

Its all about knowing what works for you.  After years of my masters swim being late, I hate hate hate swimming early morning, but I can tolerate running early. And I also think having a PLAN is essential!

Plus, when you can, go with people. Esp. for morning workouts.  They will keep you on your toes. My masters buddies make me feel guilty even when I've been swimming but haven't made it to class. They just get used to be being there every time. 

Keep up the good work! now is the time just to get out and do easy training, and make a routine out of it.

2009-01-06 9:26 AM

User image

Elite

Ok, I just put you all on my log!  Here's the group I got so far.  Remember to log your workouts!  I'm a little concerned that I have some folks that haven't checked in or haven't logged anything....be sure to add what you do. Half the fun of logging it is keeping track for the whole year!

Sarah Ray

tricupcake

shanaspree 

lauralynne

carteroak

jmc9mm

kcantrell3

msmkaydee

reakbecca

tbryant

lorijayne01

By the way, I totally dig my year results.  check them out!

2008 totals
Bike:253h 03m 12s  - 3434.43 Mi
Run:111h 46m 55s  - 604.35 Mi
Swim:122h 14m 30s  - 311800 M
Strength:43h 08m
Basketball:05m
Elliptical Training:1h 09m
Equestrian:111h 38m
Football:55m
Skating:3h 45m
Snowshoeing:20m
Walking:11h 50m
Yard Work:1h 00m

Edited by turtlegirl 2009-01-06 9:27 AM
2009-01-06 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett
I'll start my log again today! 
2009-01-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1889436

User image

Elite
where are my peeps?
2009-01-09 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1897200

User image

Veteran
Gainesville

How is everyone's training going?

Amy, can you please describe a little bit more about how the mentoring group will work?  I signed up, but I wasn't really sure what to do.  I am definitely interested in getting some input and feedback, but I am not sure how to get started.

Thanks, Karla

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Turtlegirl's group -for the slow and steady!--FULL! :) Rss Feed  

of 4