BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-04-24 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2107968

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group (open)
ADollar79 - 2009-04-24 12:13 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-04-24 12:09 PM

Hey $1.79 good luck in your race this weekend!

Thanks.  Anyone else have anything big going on this weekend (hint Lisa B)

Doing my first tri of the season tomorrow morning - a sprint - a little nervous and excited at the same time.  Hope the edge and tolerance for pain is still there.

Then Sunday I am doing the Roswell "Mayor's" Ride (this is the first organized ride I did when I first started biking 2 years ago).  The Mayor of Roswell where I live is a huge cyclist (lucky for all us peeps that live in the city cause we have bike lanes  and a huge weekly group ride out of City Hall.  There is a 20, 40 or 63 mile option and I'm doing the 40 (of course the coach is making me do a 15 min T run after - just to show the "bikers" up I'm sure).  I am then volunteering and watching the Roswell Historic Criterium which runs all day through downtown Roswell.  Should be an awesome day with plenty of sunshine and temps hitting 85*!

Good luck Dollar on your race this weekend too!

2009-04-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2086538

User image

New user

Vancouver
Is this group still open? Would love to join. 

41 year-old baker. This is my first sprint triathlon. Started training in January (Couch to 5K). I have a very physical job and am fairly active and healthy, but could not run to save my life - that was 3 months ago. Now I can do 25 minutes straight, and running my first 5k race this Sunday (yay!

The cycling is easy for me, although I am a dork on the road bike. I got a tri bike this year after only riding on mountain bikes. It's very different and I'm scared every time I get on it!

The swimming is a whole other story... 
2009-04-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2108698

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
roadcarver - 2009-04-24 4:51 PM Is this group still open? Would love to join. 

41 year-old baker. This is my first sprint triathlon. Started training in January (Couch to 5K). I have a very physical job and am fairly active and healthy, but could not run to save my life - that was 3 months ago. Now I can do 25 minutes straight, and running my first 5k race this Sunday (yay!

The cycling is easy for me, although I am a dork on the road bike. I got a tri bike this year after only riding on mountain bikes. It's very different and I'm scared every time I get on it!

The swimming is a whole other story... 

Welcome!  Tell me a bit more about yourself. 

I am going to leave this group OPEN for ONE more.  First come first serve. 
2009-04-24 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

We need to make one of those link/table things for our logs! Anybody know how to do this!?

Good luck at the races this weekend!

Edited by Pegasus1731 2009-04-24 7:41 PM
2009-04-24 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2109021

User image

Davenport, IA

Pegasus1731 - 2009-04-24 7:41 PM

We need to make one of those link/table things for our logs! Anybody know how to do this!?

Good luck at the races this weekend!

I made one before, I'll try to do it again this weekend, if it works I'll post about it in here.

2009-04-25 12:27 AM
in reply to: #2108736

User image

New user

Vancouver

NAME: Roadcarver / Liza

STORY:
 I had this "crazy" idea that I kicked around 2 years ago, to compete in a triathlon. Last summer I cheered on a friend who competed in an Olympic. Suddenly, it wasn't such a crazy idea. This year felt like the right time to do it for real. So in late January I started training with the Couch to 5k, working up to my first ever, a sprint. I purposely chose a race that gave me a lot of time to train s I didn not feel pressured by time. 
I have never been a runner and was not too keen on all the pounding that your body takes. But I am very motivated and felt very excited about the prospect of pushing my body to its limits. Prior to all this, I was an avid cyclist (trail and mountain), and walked a lot. I was in pretty good shape because I eat really well, and my job as a baker is very physical. The challenge for me is trying to fit in all the training given that my job takes a lot out of me.  I'm finding that I love this sport and the 3 disciplines. I started out just wanting to do one tri and cross that off my list. But now I want to go at least 3 seasons and build up to an Olympic distance.
FAMILY STATUS: Single 
CURRENT TRAINING: I am in the last 3 weeks of the couch to 5k, but I have segued into the couch to sprint, and am doing run and bike workouts. The bike distances are no problem for me, but just need to learn how to ride confidently on the tri-bike. Need to start swimming soon! I can swim but I have no endurance so need to build that up. As well, really need to work on technical aspects of swimming. I have no prior race experience.
2009 RACES:  I am running a 5k this week. Also an 8k in May, a duathlon in June, Sprint in September.
WEIGHTLOSS: I have leaned out noticeably since I started, but have stayed around the 125lb mark, building muscle instead.

Major challenges this year:
*keeping injury-free (repetitive strain injuries from my job keep bugging me when I train hard)
*open water swim  

2009-04-25 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2109392

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
roadcarver - 2009-04-25 1:27 AM

NAME: Roadcarver / Liza

Major challenges this year:
*keeping injury-free (repetitive strain injuries from my job keep bugging me when I train hard)
*open water swim  

Great Challenges.  #1 is a HUGE issue for me too and we will spend a lot of time talking about it. 

As for #2, you and Lisa B are in the same boat (no pun intended).  We can certainly devote time to this.  I am currently working on a blog that discusses this similar to the way I did above. 
2009-04-25 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Given that it is the weekend and hopefully everyone is having a beautiful weekend (sunny and 80 here), if you have time, will you jot down a few topics that you want to make sure we discuss.  I am always available for non-sequiter questions as they arise, but one of the things I like to do is lead the mentor group in discussions.   One of the more difficult aspects of this sport is that there are very few absolutes.  For instance, what works for me nutrition wise may backfire with Dan or Liza.  I find it more beneficial for everyone to contribute so that we can learn from one another. 

I know a few topics have already come up:  OWS, injury prevention and I assume others will follow...nutrition, heartrate monitors, bike selection/fit, transitions, what to wear.   Feel free to add to the list. 

And since we are female dominant Cool  I have asked Tri Take Me Away (Jess) to occassionally stop by in case you want a female perspective.  Plus she has a totally different philosophy on the sport. 
2009-04-25 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2108736

User image

Pro
NJ
Do you have room for 1 more?  Would love to join!
2009-04-25 3:17 PM

User image

durham, nc
I'm interested too if you still have room .. o.O
2009-04-25 9:40 PM

Corona, California

Hey Andrew, I saw that you said ONE more a few replies ago, but was wondering if I could be one more?

Edited by JessRod 2009-04-25 10:09 PM

2009-04-26 10:22 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

So I think I'm going to have to revamp my training plan for this week.  I don't think my legs will appreciate running Weds-Fri and then racing on Saturday.  Maybe do runs M, W, Tr.  Swims M, T, W and Bike T, Tr (Already biked today).  With Thursday being an easy recovery run, and an easy recovery bike, and Friday as a rest day I think I should be good to go for Saturday.  That sound about right?

2009-04-27 1:12 AM
in reply to: #2109492

User image

Expert
Ontario
One of my biggest issues is lack of mental toughness to push myself hard.  At my 70.3 last year I was happy with my swim and bike but I walked a lot at the end of the run, in part because everyone else was walking... I'm BOP in all 3 sports.   I'm sure I physically could have run more in the last miles but mentally told myself it was ok to walk.
So any mental training tips would be appreciated.

2009-04-27 6:59 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people
Jessica, Lori and Kim...if you are still interested in joining this group, I welcome the challenge.  Fill out the profile and tell me more about yourself. 

This party is FULL.

Edited by ADollar79 2009-04-27 7:00 AM
2009-04-27 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2111893

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Sprint_DA - 2009-04-26 11:22 PM

So I think I'm going to have to revamp my training plan for this week.  I don't think my legs will appreciate running Weds-Fri and then racing on Saturday.  Maybe do runs M, W, Tr.  Swims M, T, W and Bike T, Tr (Already biked today).  With Thursday being an easy recovery run, and an easy recovery bike, and Friday as a rest day I think I should be good to go for Saturday.  That sound about right?

That sounds doable.  Keep in mind that the body responds in different ways.  You will always know best in regards to how your body recovers.  Some people can race on tired legs...some can't.   If you think you need the extra recovery, by all means take it.  It is ALWAYS better to be undertrained than OVERtrained.  And one day will not negatively impact you (something I didn't understand as a beginner).
2009-04-27 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2112017

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
cathyd - 2009-04-27 2:12 AM One of my biggest issues is lack of mental toughness to push myself hard.  At my 70.3 last year I was happy with my swim and bike but I walked a lot at the end of the run, in part because everyone else was walking... I'm BOP in all 3 sports.   I'm sure I physically could have run more in the last miles but mentally told myself it was ok to walk.
So any mental training tips would be appreciated.

Welcome to my world.  My mental demons are ever present this year in a way that I have never dealt with. 

Walking is not necessarily a bad thing.  HOWEVER, the first time you let yourself walk in a race it becomes easier and easier to give in mentally to doing it again.  I prefer to have a race strategy with walking as my bailout.  For instance, at IMFL last year, I knew I would not be able to run the entire 26.2.  I ran at a steady pace until I knew I needed to take a moment (30 minutes).  I made a deal with myself that I would ONLY walk the aid stations.  I would walk when I hit the first cup of water and run when I hit the trash can.  If I wasn't ready to run I had to stop.

You would be amazed at how well this worked.  I kept telling myself all I had to do was run ONE mile at a time.  This strategy may or may not work with you.  It may be you walk all the aid stations.  Or it could be a combination of run walk.  Run 8 minutes and walk 2.  The key is to have this bailout when needed and then stick to it. 

I also have a personal rule to NOT talk to people during the race.  Misery loves company and next thing you know you are chatting it up with Bob from Ohio for 20 minutes during a race.     Again, that is my personal take. 

But I encourage you to think about other things....why is it so hard for you?  Is the 70.3 distance too much?  Were you not trained well enough?  How was your nutrition the day of the race?  We the race conditions different than what you are accustom to?  Sometimes the answer lies in these questions but in retrospect we just assume we mentally fragile. 

2009-04-27 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2112146

User image

Pro
NJ

ADollar79 - 2009-04-27 7:59 AM Jessica, Lori and Kim...if you are still interested in joining this group, I welcome the challenge.  Fill out the profile and tell me more about yourself. 

This party is FULL.

Great!  Glad to be able to join.  Here's the bio:

Name:  kcarroll   Kim

Story:  Only sport I participated in growing up was equestrian.  Was fairly competitive, but gave it up after college due to finances and career priorities.  Became something of couch potato with occasional bursts of "gym rat" activity.  Many years later , in my forties decided to get focused on my health and registered for a sprint tri on a dare with a friend.  Wasn't a runner or swimmer but had biked a bit many years ago.  So, signed up for a Total Immersion swim clinic, bought a bike, signed up for a 5 k and started training.  Since then have done a handful of sprints.   I'm lucky to live near the TI facility and get up there for lessons in the endless pool occasionally.  I'm pretty slow in all three legs, with biking perhaps being my strongest.  Interesting, because I'm the most nervous on the bike. The biking I did years ago ended after a physically minor crash with a car.  Mentally it took me out for a while.  This is the year I want to get more serious.  I completed my first half-marathon yesterday (more on that in a bit) and have signed up for my first Oly.  My challenge is, like everyone else, triathlon isn't my life...although it feels like that some days.  My work requires alot of travel, often to Europe.  EU hotels rarely have gyms or pools, so running is my typical activity those weeks.  That's is usually workable, but jetlag adds an additional dimension to the mental aspect of training. 

Family Status:   Single

Current Training:  I was focusing more on running, approx 20 - 22 miles/week.  Will back off a bit on the long runs now that the half is done and add time on the bike.  Typically I swim 2-3 times per week.   Have had knee pain/swelling due to patella-femoral tracking problems, so try to add strength training in twice a week as well.

2009 Races:   Did the More half marathon in Central Park yesterday.  Was brutal.  Summer arrived overnight.  It was 85 degrees at 8am.  (I'd been training in 30's and 40's)They cancelled the marathon and had a time cut-off at mile seven for the half.  My goal had been to finish in 2:30.  (CP is hilly and the patella-femoral problems have me walking hills occasionally).    Anyway, finished in 2:46 at 95 degrees....walking almost every significant hill and practially pulling up a chair at the water stations.  Would like to find another half mary to do this year, hopefully in cooler conditions or at least having trained in warmer ones. 

My first tri is in June. It is a longish sprint.  1/2 mile ocean swim, 19 mile bike, 5 mile run.  July is my first Olympic.  August and September have signed up for 2 sprints, but am looking for another Oly and half marathon.

Weight loss goals:  Just to keep the weight off (about 10 lbs) that I lost training for the half mary.  I also struggle with diet and getting enough protein.  Haven't eaten meat or fish in a couple years.  Easy to manage when I'm home, but not so easy when I travel.

Other challenges:  Had a major bout of plantar fasciitis 3 years ago, which was odd because I wasn't really running much.  It took cortisone injections, a year of PT, orthotics and a complete change in work shoes (no more heels) to get it under control.  I stretch like a demon daily.  I did manage the novice half mary training without any problems, so am hopefull that it is under control. 

Look forward to getting to know everyone and being part of a great mentor group!

2009-04-27 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Hi all - glad we have a full group now and our discussions.

Did my race this weekend and it went as good or better than I expected.  It was a 600 meter swim (time was 13:22 and included run up to transition - wetsuit legal), bike was 11.2 and my time was 34:30 (19.48 mph avg - new P2 definitely made a difference) and run was 3.1 and had some brutal hills - actually had to walk once - which I never do - during the 2nd mile - and my time was 27:51 (right under 9:00 mile).  Overall time was 1:18:49 and I took 3rd AG! 

As I expected the swim was the toughest part mentally and I would like our group to continue to discuss this part of racing - the mental aspect of swimming and staying strong and keeping the fear at bay.  I used Andrew's idea from last week of having a mantra and kept repeating to myself "you can do this" and counting 1-2, 1-2.  I did panic at the 1/2 way turn around - don't know why - but I did a few breast strokes (after looking around for a boat and not seeing one) and was actually able to get myself under control and actually think about my stroke and not drowing towards the end. 

I am thinking about and about to pull the trigger on buying a swim safe belt so I can practice my OWS without fear - next race in 3 weeks is an OLY.  Andrew - what is your thoughts on this? Dan (coach) last year didn't want me to get one but another one of his athletes mentioned it around me the other day and Dan said if it would give me piece of mind he is ok with it.  My thought is to use only during OWS where there is no support, but I also don't want to get dependent on it.  On the other hand, why would it matter to be dependent on it?  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well as Andrews. 

Another topic I would like to discuss now is gearing.  On my new bike I have a 12-25 cassette and compact crank.  I need one more easy gear for climbing and one more harder gear for downhill (I have 650 wheels and run out of downhill gearing very quickly and have to coast).  My bike guy said an 11-26 would be perfect but you can only find them in Sram and I don't want that as they are noisy.  So bike guy said to go with 12-27 and crank with a 55 ring and that will do the same thing.  I really don't understand this too well and am trying to learn.  Explainations and thoughts and recommendations please!

2009-04-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2113058

User image

Davenport, IA

Lisa B - 2009-04-27 12:12 PM Hi all - glad we have a full group now and our discussions.

Did my race this weekend and it went as good or better than I expected.  It was a 600 meter swim (time was 13:22 and included run up to transition - wetsuit legal), bike was 11.2 and my time was 34:30 (19.48 mph avg - new P2 definitely made a difference) and run was 3.1 and had some brutal hills - actually had to walk once - which I never do - during the 2nd mile - and my time was 27:51 (right under 9:00 mile).  Overall time was 1:18:49 and I took 3rd AG! 

As I expected the swim was the toughest part mentally and I would like our group to continue to discuss this part of racing - the mental aspect of swimming and staying strong and keeping the fear at bay.  I used Andrew's idea from last week of having a mantra and kept repeating to myself "you can do this" and counting 1-2, 1-2.  I did panic at the 1/2 way turn around - don't know why - but I did a few breast strokes (after looking around for a boat and not seeing one) and was actually able to get myself under control and actually think about my stroke and not drowing towards the end. 

I am thinking about and about to pull the trigger on buying a swim safe belt so I can practice my OWS without fear - next race in 3 weeks is an OLY.  Andrew - what is your thoughts on this? Dan (coach) last year didn't want me to get one but another one of his athletes mentioned it around me the other day and Dan said if it would give me piece of mind he is ok with it.  My thought is to use only during OWS where there is no support, but I also don't want to get dependent on it.  On the other hand, why would it matter to be dependent on it?  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well as Andrews. 

Another topic I would like to discuss now is gearing.  On my new bike I have a 12-25 cassette and compact crank.  I need one more easy gear for climbing and one more harder gear for downhill (I have 650 wheels and run out of downhill gearing very quickly and have to coast).  My bike guy said an 11-26 would be perfect but you can only find them in Sram and I don't want that as they are noisy.  So bike guy said to go with 12-27 and crank with a 55 ring and that will do the same thing.  I really don't understand this too well and am trying to learn.  Explainations and thoughts and recommendations please!

Congrats on an awesome race!  3rd in your AG is sweet! 

I don't have much to say about fear in the water as I've never really had that become an issue.  My thoughts generally go towards gliding through the water, I guess I'm lucky.

To answer your gearing questions (from what I know): I would think that jumping from 50T to 55T on your big chainring would be a major change, especially if you've got another race coming up soon.  A jump like that could make spinning in the big chain ring a lot more difficult, but would definitely get you more top end speed.

In the past it may have been true that you could only get 11-26 with Sram, but now you can get it in Dura-Ace. (OK, not 11-26, but 11-28) But, as you would expect, DA7900 parts are Expensive.  (Yes, that is Expensive with a capital E).  I've not used Sram cassettes at all, but I've got a Sram Red crank on my bike, and if it's any indication of what their line is like I would think that the cassettes would be good too.

The only concern I would have going from 12-25 to 11-28 would be that you might lose a gear in the middle of the cassette that you may use frequently, but I can't say that for sure because I don't know the exact specs of any of these cassettes (even the ones on my own bikes).

2009-04-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2113218

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-04-27 2:00 PM

To answer your gearing questions (from what I know): I would think that jumping from 50T to 55T on your big chainring would be a major change, especially if you've got another race coming up soon.  A jump like that could make spinning in the big chain ring a lot more difficult, but would definitely get you more top end speed.

I stand corrected - I think I have a 53 now, not a 50.  So what's your thoughts now?

2009-04-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2113327

User image

Davenport, IA

Lisa B - 2009-04-27 1:31 PM

I stand corrected - I think I have a 53 now, not a 50.  So what's your thoughts now?

I don't know, I don't really know what your leg strength is like.  I run a 53T Sram Red crankset on my bike with an 11-25 just counted and I actually run a 12-25 Cassette and while I spin out on some hills it takes a pretty big hill.  I'd love to say swap out and give a new one a chance, but that's an expensive trial and error kind of process.  I'd definitely check to make sure that you've got a 53T instead of a 50T as I thought all the new P2's were coming with 50T's these days.

You can play around with this a bit: Sheldon Brown Gearing Calculator to see what speeds you would be hitting at what cadence with different cranks/gears.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2009-04-27 1:50 PM

2009-04-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2113367

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-04-27 2:44 PM

I don't know, I don't really know what your leg strength is like.  I run a 53T Sram Red crankset on my bike with an 11-25 just counted and I actually run a 12-25 Cassette and while I spin out on some hills it takes a pretty big hill.  I'd love to say swap out and give a new one a chance, but that's an expensive trial and error kind of process.  I'd definitely check to make sure that you've got a 53T instead of a 50T as I thought all the new P2's were coming with 50T's these days.

You can play around with this a bit: Sheldon Brown Gearing Calculator to see what speeds you would be hitting at what cadence with different cranks/gears.

You're right - I just called Cervelo and it's a 50-34.  Don't know why my bike guy thought it was a 53?  Back to the drawing board.

Oh - and thanks for the Sheldon sight.  I've looked at it before and I'll try it again and hope I'm not too confused!
2009-04-27 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2113446

User image

Davenport, IA

Lisa B - 2009-04-27 2:02 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-04-27 2:44 PM

You're right - I just called Cervelo and it's a 50-34.  Don't know why my bike guy thought it was a 53?  Back to the drawing board.

Oh - and thanks for the Sheldon sight.  I've looked at it before and I'll try it again and hope I'm not too confused!

Ok, in top gear with a 50-34 and a 12-25 you'll spin out going down hill (I use 120rpm as a number where I'd spin out) you'd be going 36mph, with an 11-2X you'd spin out at about 39mph.  A bigger difference than I had thought there would be.  The compact crank is designed to help with climbing, so if you could move up to an 11-26 or 27 you'd probably have the best of both worlds. 

Your bike guy probably thought 53 because that's what "standard" cranks are.  Cervelo just spec theirs with a compact.

2009-04-27 2:40 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants that link table for their "dashboard" let me know and I'll send over the code for it.

2009-04-27 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa--

I echo much of what Dan is saying regarding the bike.  I guess I am confused why you think you need both one more big gear and one more small gear.  That is kinda counter intuitive.  Most people need one or another.  I understand what you are thinking but would probably advise differently than you are thinking. 

That being said, as mention by Dan and probably Curtis, Dura-ace and SRAM both have compatibility.  I have ridden on a 11-26 SRAM cassette and liked it.  Personally, I would never go for any larger of a gap because the shifting would be awful.  The reality is that you will do 95% of your gearing in the middle.  I race on an 11-23.  Yesterday was probably only the 5th time I got all the way into the 11th? 

For now, I would advise some patience with your toy.  A 50/34 and 12/25 is PLENTY of gearing for 99% of the work you will be doing (my old road bike has LESS than that).  In the future, if anything, I might suggest upgrading to a 53/39 crank and that will adjust your gearing plenty.  But for now, focus on becoming a better/stronger cyclist.  If you can achieve that then you will NEVER need your 34-25 combination unless you are in the gaps. 

The reality is that you will do 95% of your gearing in the middle.  I race on an 11-23.  Yesterday was probably only the 5th time I got all the way into the 11th?  Should I invest in a 10?  No.  It doesn't make sense to spend money for the 5% of the time I might use it.  I can work with what I have. 

As for the swim belt...let me think about that one.  I am indifferent on it right now. 

--------------

For everyone else, if we are ever discussing something that renders you clueless PLEASE ask questions.  If you don't know what a cassette, crank, etc is then ask.  The more you know the better.  I am here to help. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  

of 15