BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2569953

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - ALMOST FULL !
Yes, welcome!

DTraitor - 2009-12-20 3:27 PM

Still Open?  I'd like to sign up if it is.

Story: Played hockey my whole life, ran XC for a few years in high school, decided I liked getting high better.  Got clean at a young age, but didn't quit smoking till my daughter was on her way, and went back to running to help me stay off cigarettes.   I've enjoyed reaching my running goals, and would like to try tri's to help me stay motivated.

Family Status: Married to Katie almost five years, DD Hazel is 2 1/2 going on 17, and we're expecting another in June.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Now, I play hockey year round, and run a fair amount.  My training log here isn't very big (I've been a running ahead person), but I've logged over 1500 miles running this year.  Starting to swim once or twice a week, and trying to get on the trainer at least once a week.  

2009 RACES: 2 marathons and half marathons, a few 5, 8, and 10ks, a trail race, a really fun One Mile in downtown Minneapolis, and a third overall in an indoor tri this month.

2010 RACES:  Cinco De Mayo 5k
                        TC One Mile in May
                        Maybe Lifetime Oly in July
                        Maybe Pigman Half in Aug
                        BQ attempt at Twin Cities Marathon in October. 
I'm not sure how the middle of the summer should be handled with a new little one on the way, but I think I'd like to get at least a couple non-goal tri's in before then.

WEIGHTLOSS: Don't gain non-muscle. 

2009-12-20 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2560109

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - OPEN

Name: Knewbike (Kevin)

Profile: 40 year old male, married 19 years with one 9 year old daughter.  Currently working in paint dept. of autobody shop.  Have been active in running on and off for many years.  have done a few bike centuries in the past (including Tour de Tucson) 2 sprint tri's and run numerous 5 and 10K's.  Am very interested in trail running and currently ramping up training for a trail marathon and IMOO in 2010.  I am looking to maximize my speed on the bike and running despite a limited budget.  I would also like to become a more efficient swimmer.  An ironman has always been in the back of my head and I am going for it this year.  I want to see how fast I can get this year with the ultimate goal of Kona qualifying being possible within a few years.

Current training: Modified 22 week marathon training plan, Long run on Sat, Long bike on Sun,  Running before work in the morning and active recovery on the bike in the evening.  Trying to work in some strength and core workouts.  Swim workouts begin in a couple of months.  Have been running consistently for the past year.

2009 races: Age group placed in a couple 5k's,  Dances with Dirt relay,  Great Lakes Relay,  Huff one loop run

2010 races: Pinckney Trail Marathon, Ironman Wisconsin

Weight loss:  Currently 160 lbs on 5' 9 1/2" frame  Not a big issue for me. Would like to maintain 155 for the bigger races.

This looks like the group to be in.  Plus many of you are reasonably local.  Hope there's room

Kevin

2009-12-20 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Ryan Profile

NAME: Ryan

STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2007 because my friend thought I should give it a try.  I come from a very athletic background (hockey, bball, soccer, golf, tennis....you name it) and ended up finishing very well at that first event and was immediately hooked.  My sister has done multiple IMs and loaned me a bike to get going.  Fast forward to now and I am pretty much obsessed with the sport.  I have been fortunate enough to AG podium in most races and love the challenge of getting the most out of my body.  I have kind of settled into trying to get fast at the Olympic and HIM distance.  This distance seems to fit well into my busy schedule and still have time for family & friends.  I am a civil engineer and travel 2 days a week so it gets a bit hectic.  I do most of my training early in the a.m. and try to fit stuff in as I can.

FAMILY STATUS: I got married last January to a great girl and hope to have kids in the very near term!!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently traning 6-8 hours a week and focused more on the bike and swim this winter.  I really want to get strong on the bike and get my swim times a little more competitive.  I do train with HR but find myself relying mostly on pace & RPE.  I generally follow Daniels regarding running, masters workouts for swimming, and currently doing Jorge's Bike program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This past year was a fun and fast year.  I did 3 Olympic distance races and 2 HIM's with a 10 mile run early in the year.  The highlight for me was going 4:36 at Spirit of Racine HIM.  The season may have been a bit too long though as I was worn out by the time that last HIM came around.

2010 RACES: probably very similar to last year with 3 Olympics and 2 HIM's with a couple running races early in the year.  I am planning on the Muncie Endurathon HIM and the Rev 3 Cedar Point HIM at this point.  My goal is to try to go under 4:40 again and just have fun training and racing.

WEIGHTLOSS: No Thanks!!  I stay within 5lbs year around and probably eat less than I should.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  There is just so much to learn about training, preparation, nutrition, racing, and on and on that I doubt I will ever stop learning about this sport. 

Thanks Steve for helping us out!

2009-12-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2569998

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
knewbike - 2009-12-20 4:37 PM

Profile: 40 year old male, married 19 years with one 9 year old daughter.  Currently working in paint dept. of autobody shop.  Have been active in running on and off for many years.  have done a few bike centuries in the past (including Tour de Tucson) 2 sprint tri's and run numerous 5 and 10K's.  Am very interested in trail running and currently ramping up training for a trail marathon and IMOO in 2010.  I am looking to maximize my speed on the bike and running despite a limited budget.  I would also like to become a more efficient swimmer.  An ironman has always been in the back of my head and I am going for it this year.  I want to see how fast I can get this year with the ultimate goal of Kona qualifying being possible within a few years.

Current training: Modified 22 week marathon training plan, Long run on Sat, Long bike on Sun,  Running before work in the morning and active recovery on the bike in the evening.  Trying to work in some strength and core workouts.  Swim workouts begin in a couple of months.  Have been running consistently for the past year.

2009 races: Age group placed in a couple 5k's,  Dances with Dirt relay,  Great Lakes Relay,  Huff one loop run

Weight loss:  Currently 160 lbs on 5' 9 1/2" frame  Not a big issue for me. Would like to maintain 155 for the bigger races.

This looks like the group to be in.  Plus many of you are reasonably local.  Hope there's room

Kevin

Hey Kevin

It looks like you and I are both doing IMWI in '10!  If you decide to come to Madison for any trainng this Summer let me know.  I am literally two miles off the bike course, closest to the nastiest hill of them all.

Suzy
2009-12-20 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2570047

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
SSMinnow - 2009-12-20 6:34 PM

Kevin

Hey Kevin

It looks like you and I are both doing IMWI in '10!  If you decide to come to Madison for any trainng this Summer let me know.  I am literally two miles off the bike course, closest to the nastiest hill of them all.

Suzy

Super!  I may make a trip out there in the summer for a weekend.  Looks like you'll have plenty of 1st hand experience.  BTW,  I hope Steve lets me in.  The group literally closed while I was writing my profile
2009-12-20 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2570054

User image

Elite
Chicago
yes, absolutely.  we'd love to have you!

welcome!!

knewbike - 2009-12-20 5:41 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-12-20 6:34 PM

Kevin

Hey Kevin

Suzy

Super!  I may make a trip out there in the summer for a weekend.  Looks like you'll have plenty of 1st hand experience.  BTW,  I hope Steve lets me in.  The group literally closed while I was writing my profile

2009-12-20 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
Just in case everyone is not aware, you can get an email sent to you each time this thread is updated.  It's a way to make it easy for you to check back on the thread when activity occurs.

To enable this feature, be sure you have a valid email address in your "settings" then at the bottom of this thread's screen click on "ACTIONS: Toggle e-mail notification"

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-20 6:11 PM
2009-12-20 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
It looks like I am the last one to join!!

NAME:
  Tracy Valenta

STORY:  I have been a competitive athlete most of my life. I started playing tennis at age 3. I excelled in the sport through high school. After dropping out of college (UW-Madison) I moved to Seattle where I took up the sport of mountain biking and began to run. I moved back to WI after my sister was killed in automobile accident. DO NOT drink and drive folks. It was at that time I decided to finish my college degree and continued to run. 10 years later, suffering from serious running burnout, my friend asked me to be the runner in a triathlon relay. The day after participating I went out and bought myself a rode bike. That was 3 years ago. Since then I have been training like a mad women. I have had countless podiums, including one OA win of an Oly distance race. I love triathlon. It gets me up in the morning. I am excited to share my love of the sport with this group!!!!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my super supportive dear husband of 12 years Michael, no kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: It is my off season. I just got done finishing up my last graduate school class, so I am feeling somewhat soft. In this off season I have been very focused on honing in my swimming technique.

2009 RACES:
  2 Olys, 3 sprints and running races.

2010 RACES:
  3 Olys and 3 sprints and whatever else may come up.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose maybe 5 pounds prior to race season. I am fairly lean right now. The only reason I want to lose another 5 pounds in hopes of being faster!!

I can't wait to get to know ya'll. I love this sport and the people who participate in it!!!
2009-12-20 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2570097

User image

Elite
Chicago
welcome!  Glad you're hear and done with school!

TracyV - 2009-12-20 6:15 PM It looks like I am the last one to join!!

NAME:
  Tracy Valenta

STORY:  I have been a competitive athlete most of my life. I started playing tennis at age 3. I excelled in the sport through high school. After dropping out of college (UW-Madison) I moved to Seattle where I took up the sport of mountain biking and began to run. I moved back to WI after my sister was killed in automobile accident. DO NOT drink and drive folks. It was at that time I decided to finish my college degree and continued to run. 10 years later, suffering from serious running burnout, my friend asked me to be the runner in a triathlon relay. The day after participating I went out and bought myself a rode bike. That was 3 years ago. Since then I have been training like a mad women. I have had countless podiums, including one OA win of an Oly distance race. I love triathlon. It gets me up in the morning. I am excited to share my love of the sport with this group!!!!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my super supportive dear husband of 12 years Michael, no kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: It is my off season. I just got done finishing up my last graduate school class, so I am feeling somewhat soft. In this off season I have been very focused on honing in my swimming technique.

2009 RACES:
  2 Olys, 3 sprints and running races.

2010 RACES:
  3 Olys and 3 sprints and whatever else may come up.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose maybe 5 pounds prior to race season. I am fairly lean right now. The only reason I want to lose another 5 pounds in hopes of being faster!!

I can't wait to get to know ya'll. I love this sport and the people who participate in it!!!
2009-12-20 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Hi Steve, another weight-training related question! Do you (or anyone else in the group for that matter) have an opinion on the 'core performance endurance' book? It looks like it would cover core training along with some kind of weight component. Anyone heard of this, or have any success with it? Thanks.
2009-12-20 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
NAME: Lori

STORY: Played varsity high school and college tennis. Took up running after graduating from college and completed several 10-Ks, a couple of half marathons, and a 20-miler. Injured my hip training for my first marathon--never made it to the starting line. Took up body building for a few years which acquainted me with weights. Fast forward about 20 years--played competitive adult league tennis/tournaments and did circuit training with weights. Quit tennis, got very out of shape, became a couch potato.

Volunteered at the inaugural IM Wisconsin and was inspired by the BOP'ers. Started running again and lifting weights again. Stated, "I will never do a triathlon--I can't possibly swim". Continued to volunteer at IM WI and started to ponder the possibility of doing a triathlon. Decided to take swim lessons in Feb 05 and hooked up with a local swim coach. Learning to swim was way out of my comfort zone--a major accomplishment. I went from not being able to do one length to completing an Ironman swim.  Swimming is still my major weakness. 

Did two sprint tris and one Ironman.

Currently retired and taking care of an elderly parent.

FAMILY STATUS: Married / Husband Eric (training partner for biking)/ Two terrier mutt dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a maintenance schedule--plan to kick it up a notch in January. Planning on a couple swims, bikes, and strength training/yoga sessions per week.  Cross country skiing in place of running until I have the OK to run again. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: One half marathon and one 20K.  The triathlon season was a complete disaster due to health issues.

2010 RACES: The plan includes the Lake Monona 20K in early May, Mad City Marathon 1/2 marathon end of May, an olympic distance tri in July (Triing for Childrens), a couple of sprints in Jul/Aug (Pardeeville and Silver Lake), and possibly a HIM.  Fall half marathon and marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Carrying about 10 pounds less than ideal.

I have heard a lot of good things about you and am looking forward to learning a lot!

2009-12-20 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2570223

User image

Elite
Chicago
Sorry, I have not read it.  What are you looking for?  A core/weight routine?

scotmedic - 2009-12-20 7:48 PM Hi Steve, another weight-training related question! Do you (or anyone else in the group for that matter) have an opinion on the 'core performance endurance' book? It looks like it would cover core training along with some kind of weight component. Anyone heard of this, or have any success with it? Thanks.
2009-12-20 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2570288

User image

Elite
Chicago
Welcome Lori.  Glad you can join us !

retiretotri - 2009-12-20 8:51 PM NAME: Lori

STORY: Played varsity high school and college tennis. Took up running after graduating from college and completed several 10-Ks, a couple of half marathons, and a 20-miler. Injured my hip training for my first marathon--never made it to the starting line. Took up body building for a few years which acquainted me with weights. Fast forward about 20 years--played competitive adult league tennis/tournaments and did circuit training with weights. Quit tennis, got very out of shape, became a couch potato.

Volunteered at the inaugural IM Wisconsin and was inspired by the BOP'ers. Started running again and lifting weights again. Stated, "I will never do a triathlon--I can't possibly swim". Continued to volunteer at IM WI and started to ponder the possibility of doing a triathlon. Decided to take swim lessons in Feb 05 and hooked up with a local swim coach. Learning to swim was way out of my comfort zone--a major accomplishment. I went from not being able to do one length to completing an Ironman swim.  Swimming is still my major weakness. 

Did two sprint tris and one Ironman.

Currently retired and taking care of an elderly parent.

FAMILY STATUS: Married / Husband Eric (training partner for biking)/ Two terrier mutt dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a maintenance schedule--plan to kick it up a notch in January. Planning on a couple swims, bikes, and strength training/yoga sessions per week.  Cross country skiing in place of running until I have the OK to run again. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: One half marathon and one 20K.  The triathlon season was a complete disaster due to health issues.

2010 RACES: The plan includes the Lake Monona 20K in early May, Mad City Marathon 1/2 marathon end of May, an olympic distance tri in July (Triing for Childrens), a couple of sprints in Jul/Aug (Pardeeville and Silver Lake), and possibly a HIM.  Fall half marathon and marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Carrying about 10 pounds less than ideal.

I have heard a lot of good things about you and am looking forward to learning a lot!

2009-12-20 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Wow.  What a great group it looks like we have assembled here.

I coach with Steve, and with such a large group, it looks like I will be helping out Steve when I can.  Which is great for me, b/c I get a chance to share some of my knowledge, as well as learn from others in the group.

Here is my quick bio:

NAME: Scott

STORY: Started in the sport of triathlon in 2005.  I started in the sport in an effort to lose some weight. After losing 40 pounds, I started to get more competitive and also started to go longer, completing two Ironmans in '08 and '09.  I realize that training for endurance events is balancing act, having three small children, which I also coach in multiple sports.

FAMILY STATUS
: Married with 3 children (Cal-9, Cait-8, Cam-4).

CURRENT TRAINING: Plan is to take a year off from Ironmans and stick to the 70.3 and lower and develop some more speed. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: IMWI, Racine 70.3, a couple half marathons, and some other Oly's and sprints.

2010 RACES: Racine 70.3, Rockman HIM, Some 1/2 marathons and maybe Chicago Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Have been around my ideal weight (165) for the last 3 years, but lost a bunch during those first two years.  I know how to eat, but sometimes fall back into bad habits (like during the holildays). 

More to come....

2009-12-20 10:57 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
thanks for saving room for me, Steve!

Name: Kim (kt65)

Story: I grew up in a family with one brother and tons of boy cousins and had to keep up with them whether it was riding bikes, playing touch football, riding skateboards, etc. Played varsity basketball in high school and lots of co-ed sports in college but got really busy in grad school. From age 25-33, didn't do too much but decided to start running when I turned 34, just started not fitting my clothes and getting kind of "soft". At age 34, I trained for and did my first marathon and kept running for exercise. At age 36, I did my second marathon, Big Sur and went sub-4....but suffered an injury (plantar fasciitis) from overtraining. Kind of got lazy again, but still ran twice a week, spin class 1-2x/week but two years ago, saw a tri-training group that promised to get me to the finish line of a sprint (even though I didn't know how to swim at the time!). I signed up and the rest is history! I am seriously hooked.

Family status: Happily partnered for 10 years with one cat (Mochi) and one 2 year old dog (Ripley) who is my running partner.

Current training: This is technically my 3rd year of triathlon. I am currently training for my second HIM (CA70.3) which is in March (12 weeks away!) and am only slightly freaked out because I just finished serious marathon training last week, so time to really hit the bike and swim!

2009 Races: Kaiser Half marathon (February...1st one ever 1:48), Tri for Real Olympic (June...a big pr at 2:49), Vineman 70.3 (July, first HIM ever...had some trouble on the run in pretty hot conditions... 6:13:xx), and a really great result at the CIM marathon 2 weeks ago.

2010 Races: Kaiser Half Mary in Feb, CA70.3 in March. Vineman 70.3 revenge (HIM) July 19. Beyond that, I am not sure yet.

Looking forward to participating and learning lots from the group.

Edited by kt65 2009-12-21 12:30 AM
2009-12-21 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Happy Monday,

I have a question for Steve, Scott and the group regarding race weight.  There seem to be a lot of articles and podcasts discussing how performance might be affected by your body weight.  Some are pretty contradictory.  Since one of the things you had us fill out is our weight loss goals I figure it must be important. How do we determine what our ideal race weight should be?

Gordo and Matt Fitzgerald are two that I have come across lately. 

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/nutrition/sports_nutrition_race_weight

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=72655&cmd=tc

Suzy

2009-12-21 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Good question Suzy.

I personally need to work on my recovery nutrition during the season. I know a lot of athletes that drink chocolate milk after a long workout. I need to avoid dairy. It does not work for me.

I also found that during the height of the training season my weight tends to stay very stable. I don't lose much at all. If I am going to lose any more pounds I need to do it between Jan and April.

I am in the process of adding more lean protein to my diet. Chicken, fish and bison. Once I get into the height of the season I think I will try shelling out the cash for a good recovery drink.

I am curious what everyone is eating/drinking for recovery??
2009-12-21 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Great question, I'm interested in hearing the consensus of our mentors.  

I am running out of my current post workout drink (Endurox r4) and would consider something else if this is somehow not good for me.   I think it has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio.  I usually have it shaken and mixed for after harder workouts like long bikes or runs, but am terrible about not eating after swimming because usually I have to take the dog for her walk right after...I have a little breakfast bar in the car. 

Tracy, I am with you on the lean protein "food choices" (I really don't like the word diet), it allows me to eat more without the bad sluggish feeling I have when I eat heavier food especially red meat or cheeses.  We eat lots of ground turkey breast, chicken and pork tenderloin.  I've never had bison, what is it like?  

Kim 
2009-12-21 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I adore bison. It has to be grass fed bison though, otherwise it can be a little gamy for me. I started eating it several years ago as a substitute for ground beef.  I also just recently discovered talipia. We eat a lot of fish tacos and chowder in the winter.

I have been using endurox also. I know Steve really likes Hammer. It looks like Gordo (from Suzy's article) is an infinite fan.

I rarely ever use a recovery drink after a swim. I primarily drink them after running and biking.
2009-12-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2570825

User image

Champion
TracyV - 2009-12-21 9:11 AM I adore bison. It has to be grass fed bison though, otherwise it can be a little gamy for me. I started eating it several years ago as a substitute for ground beef.  I also just recently discovered talipia. We eat a lot of fish tacos and chowder in the winter.

I have been using endurox also. I know Steve really likes Hammer. It looks like Gordo (from Suzy's article) is an infinite fan.

I rarely ever use a recovery drink after a swim. I primarily drink them after running and biking.

Seven months ago (pre-Steve), you wouldn't have caught me drinking or eating anything specific after any workout, including long runs and rides.  Now I pretty much stick to chocolate milk  and either glutamine or amino vital within the 30 minute window.  Being the runt of the group, I tended to skimp on calories post workout to stay lean. It takes a lot of effort to keep my 4'10" frame at a stable weight even with 15 hours of training.   That's one of the reasons I asked the question about race weight. 

For runs I am a fan of Infinit or Hammer Gels.  For rides I have been using Perpeteum with only modest sucess due to the protein component. Still trying to figure the whole tri nutrution thing out.....
2009-12-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2570557

User image

Elite
Chicago
You get conflicting information because there is no "right" answer.  The answer is "it depends".

The best thing to do is not worry about your weight but watch your body composition more.  A good indication that you might not have enough fat on your is if your body comp is much lower than the "elite" class of triathletes.  Furthermore, if your body comp is much greater than this class, you might want to strive to bring it down OVER TIME.

SSMinnow - 2009-12-21 6:48 AM Happy Monday,

I have a question for Steve, Scott and the group regarding race weight.  There seem to be a lot of articles and podcasts discussing how performance might be affected by your body weight.  Some are pretty contradictory.  Since one of the things you had us fill out is our weight loss goals I figure it must be important. How do we determine what our ideal race weight should be?

Gordo and Matt Fitzgerald are two that I have come across lately. 

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/nutrition/sports_nutrition_race_weight

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=72655&cmd=tc

Suzy

2009-12-21 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2570825

User image

Elite
Chicago
Endurox R4 tends to have too much in it for your body to absorb.  This is illustrated when, after you take it, your urine turns bright neon yellow.  This is the excess vitamins that you paid for when you bought Endurox R4, but is not being utilized by your body.

However, a couple things are certain; you should consume liquid nutrition within 20-30 min after each and every workout to speed recovery and this nutrition should contain carbs with at least a tad of protein.  Chocolate milk (or even regular milk) has been shown to be a good post-workout drink because of this and I recommend it to my athletes because it's inexpensive and readily available in most stores.
2009-12-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2570918

User image

Elite
Chicago
Now when it comes to race day (or training day) nutrition on the bike or run; this is an entirely more complex topic and as we get more into the racing season we can discuss your questions about this and what is working (or not working) for you.
2009-12-21 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Wow, Great advice.  I sometimes forget to eat after a hard workout and it feels like later in the day I pay for it. 

I was wondering what nutrition should be right before a workout.  I feel best when I eat almost immediately before a run.  Often it take a lot of time to get "into" a run. As many as 3 miles before I settle in.  Is there some type of body chemistry that can account for this?  And is there something I can do to get more out of the early miles?

Thanks for having me in the group.  Kevin.

2009-12-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2571154

User image

Elite
Chicago
I consider Seebohar to be the gold standard in endurance nutrition.  Unlike advice you might get from athletes untrained in nutrition, Seebohar is a registered dietician (among other things) and you can consider his advice worth its weight in gold.

In general, his advice is that endurance athletes should be conscious of eating too soon before their workout as it tends to increase the body's burn rate of muscle glycogen and reduces the body's opportunity to burn fatty acids for fuel.

Again, nutrition is a personal thing and I am not a professionally trained dietician but what works for ME is, for example, eating a low glycemic index meal a couple hours before a big ride.

He has done some practical work with athletes that did not have a high % of fuel coming from fatty acids and with diet adjustment those athletes were able to generate more energy from fatty acids within just a few weeks.  While he did not do a peer reviewed research study with a control group, what can be interpolated from these results is that diet seems to affect (rather dramatically) that body's ability to generate energy more from fatty acids w/o months and months of endurance training.

knewbike - 2009-12-21 11:28 AM

Wow, Great advice.  I sometimes forget to eat after a hard workout and it feels like later in the day I pay for it. 

I was wondering what nutrition should be right before a workout.  I feel best when I eat almost immediately before a run.  Often it take a lot of time to get "into" a run. As many as 3 miles before I settle in.  Is there some type of body chemistry that can account for this?  And is there something I can do to get more out of the early miles?

Thanks for having me in the group.  Kevin.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21