BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2570384

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" Open
lvernon - 2009-12-20 9:46 PMHello William,
I would like to be a member of your mentor group as well. 

Thanks Lance
Hey punk do an intro about yourself or you can't join such as some your past, what motivated you to exercise and start tri's and where you are at now. Thanks!

2009-12-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2570378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
kpar - 2009-12-20 9:45 PM Ahhh, the intros. ...  I just finished doing White Rock HM and bettered my previous time (2006) by 25 minutes and I was really happy with that.  (I love running more in the cold weather--hate it in the hot! 

Great race! I only dream of a sub 2:30 HM for now.

2009-12-20 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2570378

User image

Tyler,
kpar - 2009-12-20 9:45 PMAhhh, the intros.  Forgot!  This is my fifth year doing triathlon.  So far I've done nothing but sprints. Last year I scheduled a couple of longer races but got injured, so I'm a little gun shy about getting too ambitious again, though I will certainly keep it on my radar.  I just finished doing White Rock HM and bettered my previous time (2006) by 25 minutes and I was really happy with that.  (I love running more in the cold weather--hate it in the hot!  But I will try to keep with it more even as the season progresses.)  Running has always been my weakness so I'm glad to see it slowly getting stronger.

Other than that, I am a college professor at a junior college, married with five furry babies:  cats Junior, Rocko, and Missy, and two dogs Buddy and Heidi.
Thanks for the intro! Although I don't really need since I already know you but others may be interested in. My mom has a bunch of cats and one dog. Congrats on your White Rock time that is awesome and that is a lot of time cut off in just a few years. Make sure you build your running slowly, I will need to see more of your logs to see where you are at with your running. .
2009-12-20 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2570386

User image

New user

I am a slow typer and it looked like it was filling up fast...

Hello everyone.  I have completed my first year of triing.  I was very overweight (228 5'7") and and out of shape almost 2 yrs ago.  I started at the gym William works at and started going to watch a couple of his tris and thought that looked like fun but I couldn't run as my knees hurt.  So I figured it would never happen...  After a year at the gym I could run around the gym 5 times for a bootcamp they had it made me start thinking maybe I could do this and that is where it started for me.  William helped me start a program (slow and easy) to finish a local 5k race. And then he said I needed a bike if I wanted to tri, so I got my bike and been trying to do all he has asked ever since.

Completed 4 sprint tris my first season with the first, an open water swim at Joe pool lake July 12th.  And the last The Monster Tri in Keller oct 25th.  And I owe it all to William as he is a great coach and friend.  I am glad to be able to be a part of this group.  He WILL keep you motivated if you will listen to him.

Thanks
Lance

Edited by lvernon 2009-12-20 10:18 PM
2009-12-20 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2563913

User image

Veteran
Are girls allowed in this group? Haha I assume so, but let me know if this is a good group if I've never done a race before. My main goal is to finish a race or two, and not necessarily to finish WELL- but this seems like a good group so far, so let me know if there's room for a newbie!

- Emily
2009-12-20 11:29 PM

New user

So. Miss
I'd like to join the group please.

My name is Phillip.  I am 28 years old, I have a wife and a 1 1/2 year old boy.  I am in the ARMY and have been in Afghanistan for 8 months now w/ 4 to go.  Before I left I decided I would use my extra time here to train for triathlons.  So from May 09-Oct 09 I trained as if I was going to compete after that.  Obviously I couldn't because I was still here.  I went on my mid-deployment vacation in late Oct. and used that has my "offseason".  I have just started back training this month for the 2010 season which I do plan to compete when I return in April.  I have been athletic all my life, lifting weights since 7th grade and competing in track from 7th-12th grade.  I was never good enough to go beyond that.  

I want to participate in triathlons for the competition part of it and also to stay in shape.  I am 5 foot 9 inches and 184 pounds.  Unlike some posts I've read on this thread, I have plenty of desire and motivation to follow a plan, I just doubt sometimes that I'm doing the right things.  I keep a fairly detailed log on paper, I've read Joe Friels Training Bible and have done some research online when I can.  I will post my routine/training plan soon.

I may not be able to post my training on this site because I have limited access to the internet and it's not a very fast connection either.  Hopefully this can help because I'd like to have some success in sprints next year with possibly an Oly to finish out the season.

Thanks, Phillip 

2009-12-20 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2570450

User image

Veteran
OK just read the whole thread and think I might get yelled at for not doing an intro, so if I'm in the group, here's a little more about me: I live on Long Island (suburbs of NYC), go to law school full time in NYC, I'm single (living with the 'rents- woo hoo!), and have a dog- a pointer mix named Oliver whom I adopted a few months ago.
I've never really been an athlete, but in the past five years or so I've tried to stay pretty fit- running (at least until I get injured- ugh! A main goal of mine is to avoid shin splints like the plague), yoga, lifting, and recently, mostly indoor cycling on a spinning bike. I just got in the pool for the first time in 10+ years the other day! I have a friend who's a professional triathlete and does swimming classes twice a week. This winter I've found it hard to be consistent with workouts, so training with a goal in mind would be a nice motivation. The only races I've ever done are a couple of 5Ks.
I had kind of a rough year personally and would like to get into tri's to do something positive for myself, get outside more often, work towards a goal, and basically create the healthy, optimistic lifestyle I want to have for the rest of my life- hopefully outside of New York once I graduate (in 2011).
Oh and in terms of my build- next to you guys I'm pretty tiny. 5'3", 105-110 lbs. Lately I've gotten a little soft, but it's very rare for me to weigh over 110. Generally, I eat pretty healthy- I love to cook and center my diet around whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, and try to remember to get some protein, but I'm not a big meat eater. When I fall off the nutrition wagon, it's usually because of sweets or booze- I'm not a big drinker, but when life gets stressful, I probably average 4-5 glasses of wine a week (more if I go out with friends).
OK thanks for reading! Hope to get to know all of you better soon.
- Emily
2009-12-21 1:11 AM

User image

Hello! My name is Kim and I am hoping to still be able to join your group.  I am a complete beginner with tri's and endurance sports for that matter. I was a gymnast and then coached it till I was about 23yrs old, then began weightlifting and just generally did anything active I could.  About 5yrs ago, I was training for a tri while living out in California with a club and over trained myself.  Than the weight came on, I have never been heavy in my life and gaining 80lbs in about a year was overwhelming.  I have taken 60lbs off and thankfully and almost back to my "normal" weight.  I am trying to get ready for the princess half marathon in Disney (march, 2010) and than the pawling triathlon in June 2010.  I am hoping to get some really good, trustworthy guidance, i truly want to train the right way this time and just not push myself the wrong way (the competitor in me will make me push myself to hard!).

I live in NY and the weather is getting really cold so Ill be doing most of my training inside (unfortunately).  I have a treadmill and just started doing the couch to 5k running program on my iphone(running 3 days a week) with jump-roping also everyday.  My over training injuries involved my bilateral calf's- I received approx 4weeks of PT which has seemed to help.  I also ordered the TRX Suspension Trainer Professional. 

Thanks for reading, any input is  appreciated,
Kim S.

2009-12-21 6:23 AM

User image

Tyler,
Now that we have some ladies in our group, this group is now CLOSED.

Thanks for joining!!!! I look forward to a great year getting to know you and rocking out with you all.

Communication will be key. I expect you to keep me updated on here how things are going, keep up with your logs as well as nutrition log if I have asked you too to the best you can. I know this weekend is going to be tough watching our food intake and finally ask questions.

In this group you will also need a confident attitude "I CAN do this" and "anything is possible" attitude.

Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas!

2009-12-21 6:28 AM

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
2009-12-21 6:29 AM

User image

Tyler,
I guess you have to type something to close this group

2009-12-21 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2570414

User image

Tyler,
lvernon - 2009-12-20 10:18 PM I am a slow typer and it looked like it was filling up fast...

Hello everyone.  I have completed my first year of triing.  I was very overweight (228 5'7") and and out of shape almost 2 yrs ago.  I started at the gym William works at and started going to watch a couple of his tris and thought that looked like fun but I couldn't run as my knees hurt.  So I figured it would never happen...  After a year at the gym I could run around the gym 5 times for a bootcamp they had it made me start thinking maybe I could do this and that is where it started for me.  William helped me start a program (slow and easy) to finish a local 5k race. And then he said I needed a bike if I wanted to tri, so I got my bike and been trying to do all he has asked ever since.

Completed 4 sprint tris my first season with the first, an open water swim at Joe pool lake July 12th.  And the last The Monster Tri in Keller oct 25th.  And I owe it all to William as he is a great coach and friend.  I am glad to be able to be a part of this group.  He WILL keep you motivated if you will listen to him.

Thanks
Lance

You are now officially in the group. Cheers!
2009-12-21 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

dude, closed already?  popular man!  seeing how i don't usually get on the PC on the weekend i guess i got left in the dust!

something comes up and you can let another in, holler, i want in. 

quick bio just incase...

name is anthony.  31yr old, 6ft, 180lbs  '09 was my first year racing.  did 3 sprints, an adventure race, a 10k, and a 5miler.  been lucky enough to end up around MOP in most of them.  lonestar oly is my first race of 2010.  hoping to do all the races i did last year, plus one maybe two more olympics.  goals for 2010 is train better, and sneak my way into the FOP. 

got into the sport by chance.  wanted to lose some lbs early in the year and a buddy of mine asked me to do an off road du with him (he knew i like riding the mtb).  schedule conflicted so the first weekend we both had free was a tri.  done deal.  hook, line, and sinker.

played sports all my life.  pretty much all of them but football.  i work full time as an analyst from 6a-3p.  hours suck for doubles, but good for allowing me to do something every weekday.

weeknesses...food, motivation, and updating my logs.

thanks!

merry christmas.

2009-12-21 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2570468

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2009-12-20 11:29 PM OK just read the whole thread and think I might get yelled at for not doing an intro, so if I'm in the group, here's a little more about me: I live on Long Island (suburbs of NYC), go to law school full time in NYC, I'm single (living with the 'rents- woo hoo!), and have a dog- a pointer mix named Oliver whom I adopted a few months ago.
I've never really been an athlete, but in the past five years or so I've tried to stay pretty fit- running (at least until I get injured- ugh! A main goal of mine is to avoid shin splints like the plague), yoga, lifting, and recently, mostly indoor cycling on a spinning bike. I just got in the pool for the first time in 10+ years the other day! I have a friend who's a professional triathlete and does swimming classes twice a week. This winter I've found it hard to be consistent with workouts, so training with a goal in mind would be a nice motivation. The only races I've ever done are a couple of 5Ks.
I had kind of a rough year personally and would like to get into tri's to do something positive for myself, get outside more often, work towards a goal, and basically create the healthy, optimistic lifestyle I want to have for the rest of my life- hopefully outside of New York once I graduate (in 2011).
Oh and in terms of my build- next to you guys I'm pretty tiny. 5'3", 105-110 lbs. Lately I've gotten a little soft, but it's very rare for me to weigh over 110. Generally, I eat pretty healthy- I love to cook and center my diet around whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, and try to remember to get some protein, but I'm not a big meat eater. When I fall off the nutrition wagon, it's usually because of sweets or booze- I'm not a big drinker, but when life gets stressful, I probably average 4-5 glasses of wine a week (more if I go out with friends).
- Emily

We certainly welcome girls in the group, at least I do.

I once met a pretty girl from Long Island on the subway once, then she could tell from my accent that I wasn't from New York.

From the sounds of it you sound like you will be pretty busy with law school. I am in an M.B.A. program and it keeps me busy as well. Your diet or what you eat is pretty good. For meat subs you should check into tofu, almonds, quinoa, beans.

Be sure you update your log and ask questions. Thanks.

I will get back to the rest of ya'll (aka you guys) later, I am at work now.

2009-12-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2570467

User image

Tyler,
Ironman7 - 2009-12-20 11:29 PM I'd like to join the group please.

My name is Phillip.  I am 28 years old, I have a wife and a 1 1/2 year old boy.  I am in the ARMY and have been in Afghanistan for 8 months now w/ 4 to go.  Before I left I decided I would use my extra time here to train for triathlons.  So from May 09-Oct 09 I trained as if I was going to compete after that.  Obviously I couldn't because I was still here.  I went on my mid-deployment vacation in late Oct. and used that has my "offseason".  I have just started back training this month for the 2010 season which I do plan to compete when I return in April.  I have been athletic all my life, lifting weights since 7th grade and competing in track from 7th-12th grade.  I was never good enough to go beyond that.  

I want to participate in triathlons for the competition part of it and also to stay in shape.  I am 5 foot 9 inches and 184 pounds.  Unlike some posts I've read on this thread, I have plenty of desire and motivation to follow a plan, I just doubt sometimes that I'm doing the right things.  I keep a fairly detailed log on paper, I've read Joe Friels Training Bible and have done some research online when I can.  I will post my routine/training plan soon.

I may not be able to post my training on this site because I have limited access to the internet and it's not a very fast connection either.  Hopefully this can help because I'd like to have some success in sprints next year with possibly an Oly to finish out the season.

Thanks, Phillip 

Wow super! Thanks for serving!!! Can't express enough thanks for that. Sounds like you are on the right track. Joe Friel also has a blog online as well. Be sure to update as time allows so we can see your progress. Where will you be at when you return?

Cheers!

2009-12-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2570496

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED

mskjs - 2009-12-21 1:11 AM Hello! My name is Kim and I am hoping to still be able to join your group.  I am a complete beginner with tri's and endurance sports for that matter. I was a gymnast and then coached it till I was about 23yrs old, then began weightlifting and just generally did anything active I could.  About 5yrs ago, I was training for a tri while living out in California with a club and over trained myself.  Than the weight came on, I have never been heavy in my life and gaining 80lbs in about a year was overwhelming.  I have taken 60lbs off and thankfully and almost back to my "normal" weight.  I am trying to get ready for the princess half marathon in Disney (march, 2010) and than the pawling triathlon in June 2010.  I am hoping to get some really good, trustworthy guidance, i truly want to train the right way this time and just not push myself the wrong way (the competitor in me will make me push myself to hard!).

I live in NY and the weather is getting really cold so Ill be doing most of my training inside (unfortunately).  I have a treadmill and just started doing the couch to 5k running program on my iphone(running 3 days a week) with jump-roping also everyday.  My over training injuries involved my bilateral calf's- I received approx 4weeks of PT which has seemed to help.  I also ordered the TRX Suspension Trainer Professional. 

Thanks for reading, any input is  appreciated,
Kim S.

Hey welcome to the group. props for you taking off 60/80 pounds off that is huge success. (no pun intended : )

Your goals sounds good. Where at New York are you ? Do you have family? Kids? Work?

Becareful on the jumping rope that is extra strain and pounding on the calf that is not really needed for triathlons. I've done some jumping rope as well. It may help running efficiency though.

Where I work I mainly deal with people who don't push themselves enough, except for Lance. I have to make sure he doesn't over do it.

Edited by triritter 2009-12-21 9:33 AM

2009-12-21 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2570575

User image

Tyler,
antlimon166 - 2009-12-21 7:04 AM

dude, closed already?  popular man!  seeing how i don't usually get on the PC on the weekend i guess i got left in the dust!

something comes up and you can let another in, holler, i want in. 

quick bio just incase...

name is anthony.  31yr old, 6ft, 180lbs  '09 was my first year racing.  did 3 sprints, an adventure race, a 10k, and a 5miler.  been lucky enough to end up around MOP in most of them.  lonestar oly is my first race of 2010.  hoping to do all the races i did last year, plus one maybe two more olympics.  goals for 2010 is train better, and sneak my way into the FOP. 

got into the sport by chance.  wanted to lose some lbs early in the year and a buddy of mine asked me to do an off road du with him (he knew i like riding the mtb).  schedule conflicted so the first weekend we both had free was a tri.  done deal.  hook, line, and sinker.

played sports all my life.  pretty much all of them but football.  i work full time as an analyst from 6a-3p.  hours suck for doubles, but good for allowing me to do something every weekday.

weeknesses...food, motivation, and updating my logs.

thanks!

merry christmas.

Welcome to the group, I think we'll let you slide in. Oh by the way do you know how to change the Open to Closed in the heading?

Do you have a family life?

What is the rest of 2010 schedule like? It looks like a bunch of us are doing Galveston it would be a great time for some of us to meet up.

Make sure your updating your logs! Merry Christmas!

2009-12-21 8:42 AM

User image

Tyler,

Ok here is the offical group. I would like it if some of you all posted a picture or two so I can associate a face with the name or add me on facebook. Oh yeah and ask questions of what you want to know, that is how you are going to learn in this group, since there is so much info to cover in triathlon, I want you to ask specific questions. If I don't know the answer I know someone who does.

antlimon166
drkelly
kpar
smeador
TriPatrick
eca712
Ironman7
lvernon
mcassat
mskjs
muddycreek
StrayDog

2009-12-21 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2570709

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

sweet, in on a technicality!  i'll take it.  thanks man!

Welcome to the group, I think we'll let you slide in. Oh by the way do you know how to change the Open to Closed in the heading?  go to your origional post and there shld be an edit button on the top right.  it shld allow you to edit the subject line.

Do you have a family life?  married, no kids...just horses, dogs, and cats.  the wife is a professional horse rider (sport is called 3day eventing, look it up if you get bored.  often called the triathon of the horse world).  this is the biggest problem of my training....gone all the time on the weekends with horse shows.  i gotta do better this year about getting my time in while we're on the road.

What is the rest of 2010 schedule like? It looks like a bunch of us are doing Galveston it would be a great time for some of us to meet up.  lonestar oly, captex oly, mextroplex sprint, waco oly, bridgeland sprint, eastside sprint, and a few run races.

meeting at lonestar's a great idea.  i'm in. 

Make sure your updating your logs! Merry Christmas!

2009-12-21 9:38 AM

User image

Tyler,

Thanks for the tip Anthony we are officially clsoed, you made the cut off time ; )

You got a solid schedule. Cap Tex is a good race but super crowded, I did it last year but didn't see the increase in entry fee to be worth it, so I said screw it.

I have on tap if you want to join me in any Texas Motor Speedway Du, Athens, Lonestar 70.3 IM,  McKinney, Four States, Play Tri Fest oly, BSLT 70.3 IM, River Cities, Take on the Heat, Prairie Man 70.3, Stonebridge oly, US Open or Longhorn Austin 70.3 IM, and then Clearwater baby!!! If I qualify of course : )

I will have to look up the horse riding stuff. I think we have a few pro rodeo people in the area over here.

2009-12-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2570676

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2009-12-21 9:14 AM
Ironman7 - 2009-12-20 11:29 PM I'd like to join the group please.

Thanks, Phillip 

Wow super! Thanks for serving!!! Can't express enough thanks for that. Sounds like you are on the right track. Joe Friel also has a blog online as well. Be sure to update as time allows so we can see your progress. Where will you be at when you return?

Cheers!

Ditto- thank you for serving! And training for a race while you're there? Dayum! I give you a lot of credit, Phillip!

2009-12-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2570580

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2009-12-21 8:10 AM
eca712 - 2009-12-20 11:29 PM OK just read the whole thread and think I might get yelled at for not doing an intro, so if I'm in the group, here's a little more about me: I live on Long Island (suburbs of NYC), go to law school full time in NYC, I'm single (living with the 'rents- woo hoo!), and have a dog- a pointer mix named Oliver whom I adopted a few months ago.
- Emily

We certainly welcome girls in the group, at least I do.

I once met a pretty girl from Long Island on the subway once, then she could tell from my accent that I wasn't from New York.

From the sounds of it you sound like you will be pretty busy with law school. I am in an M.B.A. program and it keeps me busy as well. Your diet or what you eat is pretty good. For meat subs you should check into tofu, almonds, quinoa, beans.

Be sure you update your log and ask questions. Thanks.

I will get back to the rest of ya'll (aka you guys) later, I am at work now.

I do love me a non-NY accent! As do most New Yorkers- we're suckers for a Southern accent.

I am pretty busy with law school (especially right now- trying to write about 40 pages in the next three days to finish up a final draft of a paper- FUN), but honestly, it's pretty much my only commitment and it leaves me with a pretty flexible schedule. I found it much harder to work out when I had a 9-5 internship over the summer- with the hour-plus commute each way, it just ate up the whole day. And I find I work much more efficiently when I have a lot on my plate. So hopefully having to fit in training will force me to manage my time better.

Thanks for the diet suggestions- I eat a lot of beans and brown rice (I like to cook a big pot on the weekends and then have it for lunch for the rest of the week) and my mid-morning snack every day is an almond butter and honey sandwich on Ezekiel bread- does everyone know about Ezekiel bread? It's god's gift to whole grain lovers- sprouted grain bread, no flour, but it tastes like regular bread. I do need to get a little more tofu and quinoa in my life- being back at home with my parents, if I get home late from school and they already have dinner ready, I usually just have what they're having, which is usually something like chicken cutlets, potatoes, and green beans- it's not the worst, but it's not what I would cook for myself. So that's something I have to
work on, too- resisting their not-so-healthy food in the cabinet when I'm starving!

OK back to the paper- I'll update my log and post a few pressing questions when I take a break later!
2009-12-21 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Can you teach me how to beat you?
2009-12-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2571195

User image

Tyler,
smilford - 2009-12-21 11:48 AM Can you teach me how to beat you?

Get outta here. You might find the secret in here.  
2009-12-21 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2570695

User image

Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED
That's exactly what I was thinking about the extra pounding to the calf's but at the same time I have heard that the endurance gains are very high so I was weighing the risks vs the gains.. what do you think??

Thank you so much for accepting me into your group.  I'm just not sure what to do now.  I was thinking of following the beginner program that goes from Jan till June- or will you be posting a workout for us to follow.. just not sure how it all works.. yikes..

So, a little about me- I'm 38yrs old, single, an emergency room nurse (which is highly highly stressful) and recently had a big health scare- which has actually turned into a positive experience in my life. I'm from Westchester county, NY!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17