BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2010-12-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3257868

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is OPEN!
Maurice, I see that we are both signed up for B2B this year.  Woo hoo!

Josh, my brother just got back from Afghanistan and he was at DLI as well.  Small world.

Holly, I'm looking forward to hearing about Redman.  I have my eye on that one as well.

2010-12-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3256274

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Hi There -- I did my first HIM at Timberman in 2010 and went down in FLAMES.  Registered again for 2011 and I'll be searching all over the run course for my dignity.  I need all the guidance I can get.  May I join your group?

2010-12-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3257832

User image

Champion
guys, we have room for 2-5 more, then i'll need to close this, at least until we figure out how many are planning on sticking around.

thanks!
2010-12-22 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3257866

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

NAME: RBesecke/Rick

STORY:
My story is a little convoluted, so I will spare you the details. I've lived all over the U.S. (including Bucks County, PA, where I was born. I've lived there 3 different times). Currently I live in the "Bootheel" region of New Mexico; not the End of the World, but we can see it from here.

I participated in the 2009 Memorial Bataan Death March and lived. That sparked my desire to become...if not competitive, perhaps at least much more active.

2011 will be my first tri year. I initially wanted to do a duathlon and two or three sprint triathlons, but my work schedule is interfering, so I may only get the two tri's done. 

FAMILY STATUS:
  Single, never married. I am currently dating a former pro-cyclist, but there are some challenges with having her coach me so I avoid those situations.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I've been a runner for a few years, but I've never raced. Last April I started cycling and I've been trying to swim every chance I get but there are very few pools in the area. I've not yet used the training log on this site, so I guess I'll get to that ASAP. Before coming down with the flu recently, I was cycling about 100 miles a week (averaging about 18mph), broken up different ways depending on my schedule. I've been doing 6-mile runs two or three times a week and doing some speed work when I get off my butt and remember to. I've averaged 8:45 mile for the 6 miles.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010):
Nothing.

2011 RACES:
  I'd like to participate in a duathlon in mid April, but I don't know if my work schedule is going to allow it. I have a first tri picked-out for June with a follow-up possible in July.

WEIGHT LOSS:
  I wouldn't mind losing 5 lbs, but it's not a priority. I'm 5' 8" @ 155lbs, so weight loss isn't near the top of my list of things to accomplish.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
  I love the idea of triathlon. Swimming is a real challenge for me, so I have something to work towards. I enjoy cycling and running, and since I'm not a good swimmer, triathlon gives me a combination of things I enjoy and one that I'm not good at but want desperately to improve (ie: a goal to work towards).

I take direction well and am normally very self-motivating. I like long walks in the desert, ferrets, dogs, and....sorry, wrong profile.

2010-12-22 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
PA
NAME: nakdboardr/Kevin

STORY: I'm entering my second year of triathlons, with many years of running and sports in my past including a duathlon (it was called biathlon when I did it and it was sponsored by a beer company ) when I was in HS.  I'm 39 and did my first tri this fall.  I am looking forward to doing many more tris in 2011.  I am working on my swimming (the GF is a swim coach so she keeps an eye on me—even though she thought I drowned in my first tri—my pic is me coming out of the water alive at the tri ) and running (it tanked this past year) I am currently living in PA. I  have lived in NY, PA (2 times before), Puerto Rico, MD, OH, and NJ) and will be racing in the tri state area.

FAMILY STATUS: Girlfriend (GF)

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have backed off recently (my running has sucked) and will ramp up in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): One sprint tri; numerous road races up to a 10 miler

2011 RACES:  undecided but it is being mapped out right now! many sprints--but may work up to an oly late in the year

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose a few pounds to be at a good race weight--and watch my diet as I really struggle with this.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 
I am eager to learn more about the swimming and biking and fine tune my training. I have become addicted to tris so I will be a good motivator and provide lots of encouragement.

Edited by nakdboardr 2010-12-23 6:57 AM
2010-12-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3258017

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

NAME:  Jackie

STORY:  I enjoy training and have participated recreationally in sprints for three years.  Last year, I decided to ramp up my training and see what the old girl can do.  I ended up with some overuse injuries that landed me in physical therapy.  I did my first half-iron distance race injured and under-trained, and the scene was not pretty.  I still don't have clearance to run, so I registered for a June aquavelo.  My PT is inclined to allow me to resume running after the New Year, and I will be starting from square-one.  I hope to train smarter, better and more consistently to build a strong body and have great race results in 2011.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married w/2 Kids

CURRENT TRAINING:  Physical Therapy

2010 RACES:  3 Sprints; 1 Olymic; 2 Half Marathons; 2 OWS 1.2 mi; 5Ks, 10Ks & bike Tours; First Half Iron (Timberman)

2011 RACES:  Eagleman Aquavelo (June); Timberman (August) and any other races that my recovery (and budget) permits

WIEGHT LOSS:  Yes please

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am very open to the criticism and positive guidance from the mentor as well as any group member.  I really benefitted from the training chat group started by Tri Sam for Timberman last year, and I believe this format will help me train for my early summer aquavelo.

2010-12-22 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Is there still room? If so please add me in!

Catwoman
2010-12-22 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3258080

User image

Champion
catwoman, you are the last one in!
2010-12-22 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
Great! I'll update my information in a few hours. Looking forward to working with the group.
2010-12-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3258090

User image

Champion
All,

The group is full for now, I might open up in a few days/week if some people are not active.

If you decide for whatever reason you cant keep up with this/are not going to be very active/want to move to another group this week, just let me know so i can let someone else in.

I've got to head out for a talk at my running store by a local PT team on running injury/rehab/prevention and get my 2nd run in today, then i'll read through everyones profiles on here!

If you have not, please fill out hte info so we can all get a sense of who is here.

Welcome everyone, and i'm looking forward to this winter/spring.
Also, for those that have not been in a group before,

Check back through the posts i've already made so far on what this is all about, and I know the time frame says from now until march but these tend to stay active until the new groups start up (normally either in late spring/early summer or around then. I'll stay active and involved with this group until the next round starts up!

Welcome and this should be a great time.
2010-12-22 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3257678

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Brent, as to your earlier post:

I don't know enough to say anything with certainty, but in my experience I'm not able to really engage in my workouts and focus on what I'm doing when I'm too tired; and I have trouble putting much effort into what I'm doing. This really diminishes the quality of my workout.

It also seems to me that if you're already fatigued, your body won't be able to filter toxins and use nutrients properly, so the effects of the workout are reduced.

I'd say the workout would still be ok for SOME benefit, but they would be limited.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Edited by RBesecke 2010-12-22 3:59 PM

2010-12-22 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

NAME: itziaol / itzia
A real beginner

HISTORY:  I’m 44 years old, so I find it amusing when people in their 30’s describe themselves as veterans.  I guess that’s what they are in these sports, so I wonder what that makes me!! LOL.   In the past 5 years I’ve concentrated on working and studding, but after looking at my holiday pictures in Huatulco this Summer, I decided I had to do something about my figure and started dieting and exercising.  I have knee problems, so I was afraid they were going to hurt if I ran, but a friend gave me a programme to follow and I was alright.   I ran my first 10K race in November.  Then I started to think of participating in a sprint triathlon as a goal to accomplish when I’m 45.

I practically grew up swimming.  I trained with a diving team and a swimming team as a teenager, but my passion was always classical ballet and that took up most of my free time.  I have no experience in riding a road bike, although I used to ride to school while I lived in Dublin, Ireland and I ride a mountain bike from time to time.   I’ve been a good girl, so Santa is bringing me a road bike; a used one to start with.  Therefore, I would appreciate any advice you can give me in order to help him chose it.

ME NOW: I live in Cuernavaca (Mexico), known as “the city of eternal spring”, which means that I can train all year around because the weather is always mild.  The drawback is insecurity, so I run in the secured area where I live, and I’ll have to ride my bike with a team. 

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m married and have two kids, a 10 year old girl and a 14 year old boy.  My family is used to supporting me in my personal projects, whether they are building a house, going back to work, aiming for a promotion, doing a Masters, etc.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve been training 4 times a week so far, but I’m willing to do 6 in order to get ready.  For the moment I’m recovering from a sprained ankle.  The paradox is that I did not injure myself training, but while calmly walking down some steps at work.  :-S  I guess I’ll have to start from scratch now.

GOALS: I’ve been dreaming of doing a sprint triathlon in Ixtapa (May), but since I was injured, I guess it would be more realistic to aim for Veracruz in August and perhaps Huatulco in October.  http://www.triatlon.com.mx/fmt-evtListaEventos.asp

WEIGHTLOSS:  I’ve lost 5kg, which is not a lot, nevertheless my body composition has changed and the difference in size is noticeable.  Since I can’t afford a fancy bike, I guess I better lose at least another 8kg to make up for it.  LOL  Just joking, that would get me to my ideal weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am very structured and disciplined.  Once I set my mind to obtaining something I don’t stop until I get it.  I’ve always been a good student and a hard worker.  I’m also a good researcher and I tend to spend an awful lot of time in front of the computer.  So even though I might not know much about this subject, I can find things out and share them with the group.  I know that setting my self goals and obtaining them will build up the confidence I need to make some overdue personal decisions.  So… I need to do this.  I hope you accept me as your mentee, even though I’m such an old beginner.   

2010-12-22 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Ooops!  You closed the group while I was writing!  :-S
2010-12-22 4:42 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
My main concern is if I would be setting myself up for an injury.  If it is just a matter of sucking it up and getting to business I can handle that. 
2010-12-22 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
NAME: Deb - I'm not that creative with my screen name...

STORY: This will be my first year doing triathlons.  At the beginning of last year, I decided to finally lose all the extra weight I'd been carrying.  Around May, I set a goal of doing a triathlon, almost on a whim.  Little did I know that it would become much more then that...

At that time, I had probably never run for more then a solid minute without stopping (ever) and I was afraid of any water that I couldn't touch bottom.  I took a swim lesson and started the C25K program.  I did my first 5k race in September.  I was immediately hooked and built up to a 10k by November.

I've been working on the swim as much as I can and am finally feeling ready to join a triathlon group for swim sessions in January.  I also just got my road bike, which I'm totally excited about!

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married and have 2 young kids: Sebastian who is almost 4 and Hazel is 2.5.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently running 3-4 times a week.  My long run is around the 10-12km mark currently, but I'll start building it in the new year.  I swim 3 times a week.  I was neglecting my biking, but I got a trainer along with my new bike, so I'll be building that into my plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the Canmore Rocky Mountain 5k in September, and the Run without borders 10k in Calgary in November.  I have one more race coming up, a 5k on Dec 31, the resolution run.

2011 RACES: I'll be doing a 10k in March and a half marathon the end of April.  Then, it's into triathlon season.  My big goal is an Olympic in early September, but my first sprint triathlon will be in June.  There's two more sprints I'd like to do - both in August, and I'm trying to decide whether I should pick one or do both...

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently down almost 40 pounds.  I do want to lose at least 20 more - as much as 40.  The cool thing that has happened throughout this process is that I am no longer trying to lose weight for superficial reasons, but because I know I'll be able to run faster and with less risk of injuries once I lose the extra pounds.  (I realize this applies to the bike and swim as well, but I think weight effects the run the most.)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm just plain awesome.    Seriously, I'm excited, and I'm dedicated.  I may not have the most knowledge, but I read and research a lot.  I'm always willing to share my opinion and interested to learn more, so I'm not stuck to it. 

I also have a blog if anyone is interested.  http://debshrinks.blogspot.com/ It started as a weight loss blog, but is generally about running/triathlons now.  My last post includes a picture of my brand new bike. 
2010-12-22 5:38 PM

User image

Looks like a full group.

A little more info on myself other than the standard template.  I live in and was born and rasied in Oahu, Hawaii...so I have the luxury of training year round.

Just came off a tough marathon a couple weeks ago, and now semi focusing on a 8.1 mile road race on President's Day.  Slowly working back in more biking and swimming though as the Hawaii 70.3 is my A race in June.  First HIM for me.

2010-12-22 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3257243

User image

Regular
Augusta
newbz - 2010-12-22 8:12 AM Josh, welcome aboard. It'll be great to have another around with some know how in the swim, it seems to be on the largest areas most newer athletes struggle with, as so few adults from non-swimming backgrounds swim much. As it gets a bit closer to rev3 knoxville let me know, one of my other athletes (leegoocrap on here) is also racing there, and i'll put you guys in touch if you'd like.

Thanks Dave!  I'll most likely take you up on that offer.   Looks like a great group we've got together.  Looking forward to learning a lot and maybe helping others out, and just having fun!
2010-12-22 7:01 PM

User image

Master
NAME: Rene

STORY: My background is in cycling. In 2007, I learned how to swim and entered my first triathlon. I'm still a very frustrated BOP swimmer. The good news is that I enjoy swimming. I quickly moved from sprint to longer distances. On a whim a few years ago, I entered the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon and was chosen in the lottery. Jumping off of the boat and swimming (slowly) to Marina Green was a great experience. Especially coming from a non-swimming background. After Alcatraz, I signed up for my first HIM in the fall of 2008. In 2009, I completed IMFL. The main focus of 2010 was IMFL. 9 days before IMFL, I broke my toe and ended up having surgery. I went from training 20 hours a week to being in a wheel chair at work. I'm an elementary PE teacher. It was easier and faster to get around the gym in the wheel chair.
Six weeks later things are finally staring to feel like normal again from a training standpoint. Right now I'm up to running 30 minutes for my long run. Woo Hoo! I have several races in 2011 that seem like they're coming up quickly. Last year was challenging from an injury/illness standpoint.

FAMILY: Married for 24 years. 2 "kids" 17 and 19.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm 6 weeks post op from surgery. Training and fitness is starting to come back slowly.

2010 RACES: A few sprints, duathlons, Patriot HIM. 9 days before IMFL I broke my toe and had to DNS the race.

2011 RACES: Lonestar HIM, IMTX, and a few sprints/duathlons thrown in as the schedule permits. I'm signed up for Austin 3M half marathon on 1/30. We're waiting to see how the running comes along before committing to the race.

WEIGHT LOSS: Every year I say I need to lean out and eat clean. So far it hasn't happened. This is probably the area that I struggle with the most. I'm normally so tired from work and training that making good choices isn't a top priority.

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD MENTEE:
I'm always open to suggestions and constructive feedback.

2010-12-22 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3257868

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
tri808 - 2010-12-22 1:55 PM Hey Holly...we were in the same mentor group last winter-spring with Mike.  Cool to hear that your taking the full distance plunge.

Hey Jason!!  Thanks!  I'm just hoping we have weather in 2011 like we did this year.  It was perfect out.  Couldn't have asked for a better race day.
2010-12-22 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3257873

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
jmkizer - 2010-12-22 1:57 PM Maurice, I see that we are both signed up for B2B this year.  Woo hoo!

Josh, my brother just got back from Afghanistan and he was at DLI as well.  Small world.

Holly, I'm looking forward to hearing about Redman.  I have my eye on that one as well.

Redman is a great race & very well organized.  The bike fairly flat with a few small rollers and the run is pancake flat. 
2010-12-22 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3258339

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Catwoman - 2010-12-22 7:01 PM WEIGHT LOSS: Every year I say I need to lean out and eat clean. So far it hasn't happened. This is probably the area that I struggle with the most. I'm normally so tired from work and training that making good choices isn't a top priority. 

Hi Rene.  Every year I say the same thing and struggle for the same reasons.  This would be soooo much easier if I had someone to do my grocery shopping & cook my meals  Wink

Went out & bought Racing Weight the other day.  Haven't opened it yet though.  Anyone read this book?  Any good?

2010-12-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3258384

User image

Champion
HollyW - 2010-12-22 7:04 PM

Catwoman - 2010-12-22 7:01 PM WEIGHT LOSS: Every year I say I need to lean out and eat clean. So far it hasn't happened. This is probably the area that I struggle with the most. I'm normally so tired from work and training that making good choices isn't a top priority.

Hi Rene. Every year I say the same thing and struggle for the same reasons. This would be soooo much easier if I had someone to do my grocery shopping & cook my meals Wink.

Went out & bought Racing Weight the other day. Haven't opened it yet though. Anyone read this book? Any good?

let me know if you need help there;-)

To everyone, if you need food/cooking type help, i'm decent there.
I grew up in a family of chefs, both my parents are and own an organic farm, so i've been in the kitchen for a LONG time.

If anyone has any topics/areas of training they want to start a discussion about let me know and we'll get things going.
2010-12-22 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3258384

User image

Regular
Augusta
HollyW - 2010-12-22 8:04 PM

Hi Rene.  Every year I say the same thing and struggle for the same reasons.  This would be soooo much easier if I had someone to do my grocery shopping & cook my meals  Wink

Went out & bought Racing Weight the other day.  Haven't opened it yet though.  Anyone read this book?  Any good?

I bought the same book...also bough a couple of cookbooks specific to endurance athletes, so I'm going to try and do all my meal preparation from those and see how it works.  That's the plan at least, we'll see how it actually pans out. Laughing
2010-12-22 8:26 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
I was doing the Beginner Cycling Program here on BT but 6 days a week on a trainer was just more than I could handle.  I have started doing only the Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday workouts.  When I do the Sunday workout I go the upper limit of the time frame.  Does this seem like a decent plan for a beginner?  I like the fact that it has a short, med and long day but am open to suggestions.

The program can be found here.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1671

2010-12-22 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3258416

User image

Elite
Ontario
My personal suggestion would be to move over to Jorge's winter cycling program - you'll find it in the challenge forum.  Start with the pre-weeks and work from there.  You do regular testing, plus the intensity will be based on how you do the tests.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57