BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2010-12-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Open
First and foremost, let me take a moment to address everyone joining the group.

Welcome Andrew Mac Daniel and Pete!

Andrew - coming from Xfit myself, I'll say it certainly helped me mentally prepare for the "endure" part of endurance racing! Sounds like you've already got a busy schedule planned. That keeps it interesting

Mac - certainly have room for someone across the pond. Out of curiosity, is regular non-draft triathlon, or ITU style racing more popular over there?

Daniel - we've got some pretty similar goals this year it seems. I'm still undecided as to whether to shoot for trying to Qualify for AG Nats or the Halfmax race. I'm kind of torn as last year was my "big distance" race... but I think a half might be manageable... still AG sounds nice as well. I also see you are one of 'those' people (Cervelo riders!) I'd say I'm not jealous... but I suppose I'd be lying.

Pete - certainly room available! Welcome!

2010-12-29 12:28 PM

Regular
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm off to go workout... Going to do my own little Sprint Tri today... Unfortunately it's indoors .  But, I too, would like to welcome everyone to the group. I can already tell this group will be extremely beneficial to everyone!
2010-12-29 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Although we aren't filled up yet, I'll go ahead and get some of the expectations of the group (and you guys individually) out of the way. I'm not a big rules nazi/control freak or anything, but some of these I've found from past groups make the group better for everyone involved.

- The big one for me... if you don't plan to participate / use this resource, please don't join. There's only limited space, and It takes away from everyone if a person joins then never logs back on.

- Try to contribute when you can. If you've got a good link to something, even if it's off what's currently the 'topic' of the group, throw it on and share. Even if the biggest thing that happened was you swam X yards longer than ever before, that's worth posting! We're here to support each other as well.

- Keep your logs updated! (Nick, let me know if you get your problem worked out with them, we'll see what we can do to fix it) It's really hard on me if I am checking up on you and I see nothing for weeks at a time!

- Add the people in the group to your friend list. We're all friends after all

- Don't be afraid to ask, question, disagree (respectfully if at all possible! no flames) with what you read on here. In triathlon there is a lot of 'pseudo science' which is amplified by the fact that everyone's body is different, so things don't work the same way for all of us. I try to always remember that the person that's always right never learns anything.

Anyways, there's my slavedriver instructions Of course if you have a problem/concern/need anything you don't want on the forum feel free to message me.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris
2010-12-29 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Crap-I HATE being the oldest kid in the group.

Let me see if I got everyone...Chris, Joe, Nick, Christina, Austin, Andrew, Daniel, Mac (from across the pond), and Pete. 

I now have 9 new 'friends'.  Lookin' forward to the group.

So...what's everyone doing for New Years weekend??
2010-12-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3266776

User image

South Florida
Oldest = More life experience

My and the soon to be wife are going to Tampa, FL for 2 things. We have free tickets to Bush Gardens, and we have tickets to the OutBack Bowl. (Florida/Penn State).  She's a Gator and I love PSU. (I skipped college and went in the Marine Corps) We usually go to a bowl game New Years day. Way better than spending the day hung over
2010-12-29 5:04 PM

Regular
Subject: List of things needed for a tri
What are all of the items that are needed/helpful to have for a tri? This may sound dumb but do you change after the swimming portion into something dry? Thanks!

2010-12-29 5:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
OK, let me try this out...  I had it in the last mentor group that I was a part of, and I thought it really helped.  I am not promising that it will work, but here goes nothing.  You can copy and paste this (fingers crossed) into your training logs, and it will give you a quick link to everyones' profiles.  Here it is...

Leegoocrap's Mentor Group

Leegoocrap - Chris
LockOut - Pete
jletterhos - Joe
nvalaitis - Nick
Jeffnboise - Jeff
MechEChick - Christina
ACGibby - Austin
Andr3w - Andrew
MAC36 - Mac
velocomp - Daniel

2010-12-29 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Oh wow, thanks Pete! That'll be great!
2010-12-29 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3266939

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: List of things needed for a tri
acgibby - 2010-12-29 6:04 PM What are all of the items that are needed/helpful to have for a tri? This may sound dumb but do you change after the swimming portion into something dry? Thanks!

Austin,

Most of the time (speaking for men here... I know a lot of girls that put on bike shorts after the swim portion) you'll just be wearing tri specific shorts. They have a thinner (and usually quick drying) cham pad so they don't hold water the same as regular bike shorts would. (and well made one's won't/shouldn't chaff on the run either) Of course if you want to change, there is no rule against it (well... local nudity laws excluded) but generally I am thankful for being soaking wet out of the water! It keeps me cool a bit longer on the bike.

An off the top of my head list of things I always have with me for a tri
- Goggles (a backup pair isn't a terrible idea either)
- Swim Cap if one is required by the RD
- Wetsuit/Swimskin if needed
- Body glide
- my bike
- Bike shoes and rubber bands/dental floss
- hydration/nutrition for the bike
- sunglasses
- helmet
- bike computer/Powertap
- socks
- running shoes
- visor/hat
- towel
- a multitool in case I need to do any last minute adjustments to my bike
- A Pump
- (longer races) a flat kit
- first aid kit

that's what I usually have with me when I show up to any race.
2010-12-29 8:31 PM

User image

South Florida
Well i can't get my 305 to sync with my logs. I used to be able to, but now i can't. Thoughts? Do i have to be a paying member?

I did go on a run tonight. My first 4 miles since my last race. See, i did a crazy/stupid thing a few months go I ran the Marine Corps Marathon, then 2 weeks later i did my first HIM. I nailed the swim, nailed the bike, but couldn't run at all. My feet didn't heal from the marathon. Still finished the HIM @ 5:54. As i mentioned, I'm a glutton for punishment
2010-12-29 9:13 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if I could join this group.  I competed for the first time this past summer. I loved it!  I am a teacher who really enjoys the running, swimming and biking as a time to focus on my goals.  I am having trouble with the running portion of my training. I think I need some motivation in that area.
I am starting a new training program that is going to focus on my running.

So I am hoping I can join!

Theresa

2010-12-29 9:33 PM

User image

yorba linda
Hey Chris, if you still have room, id like to sign up for another season with you
2010-12-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3266994

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Leegoocrap - 2010-12-29 4:52 PM
acgibby - 2010-12-29 6:04 PM What are all of the items that are needed/helpful to have for a tri? This may sound dumb but do you change after the swimming portion into something dry? Thanks!

Austin,

Most of the time (speaking for men here... I know a lot of girls that put on bike shorts after the swim portion) you'll just be wearing tri specific shorts. They have a thinner (and usually quick drying) cham pad so they don't hold water the same as regular bike shorts would. (and well made one's won't/shouldn't chaff on the run either) Of course if you want to change, there is no rule against it (well... local nudity laws excluded) but generally I am thankful for being soaking wet out of the water! It keeps me cool a bit longer on the bike.

An off the top of my head list of things I always have with me for a tri
- Goggles (a backup pair isn't a terrible idea either)
- Swim Cap if one is required by the RD
- Wetsuit/Swimskin if needed
- Body glide
- my bike
- Bike shoes and rubber bands/dental floss
- hydration/nutrition for the bike
- sunglasses
- helmet
- bike computer/Powertap
- socks
- running shoes
- visor/hat
- towel
- a multitool in case I need to do any last minute adjustments to my bike
- A Pump
- (longer races) a flat kit
- first aid kit

that's what I usually have with me when I show up to any race.

That's exactly what I have, too.  I would add an extra pair of contact lenses (if applicable) and a spare shoe lace.  And a nice bag with shoulder staps to carry it all 'hands-free'.
2010-12-29 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3266994

Regular

Chris and Jeff,

Thank you!
A couple questions--What are the rubber bands and dental floss for?
What is body glide?

Have any of you looked at the silver and gold memberships, and if so, what do you think of them?
I hope everyone has a great new year!

2010-12-29 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3267363

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
acgibby - 2010-12-29 9:41 PM

Chris and Jeff,

Thank you!
What is body glide?

Have any of you looked at the silver and gold memberships, and if so, what do you think of them?

The rubber bands/dental floss is for (correct me if I'm wrong) keeping your shoes in the correct position for a flying bike mount. Basically, you clip your shoes into the pedals, and use a rubber band through the heel of the shoe to attach it to the frame and keep it level as you jog your bike through the first transition. Then when you jump onto the bike past the mount line, your shoes are ready for you to start pedaling up to speed before you put them on.  I don't do this, as I have never really practiced it enough. But if you look in the articles under Racing or Transitions, there are a couple videos that explain this.

I bumped from a bronze membership last year (2010) to a silver membership this year to have access to more plans, specifically the intermediate HIM one. Last year, the Bronze was perfect for me!

-Christina

Edited by MechEChick 2010-12-29 10:53 PM
2010-12-29 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3266939

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
acgibby - 2010-12-29 4:04 PM What are all of the items that are needed/helpful to have for a tri? This may sound dumb but do you change after the swimming portion into something dry? Thanks!

For my first two tris, I had purchased tri shorts and used a sport swimming top.  Then I would put on a dry t-shirt/long sleeve shirt after the swim as the late fall/spring Colorado mornings are chilly to bike in.  I will warn you that putting on a dry top when you are soaking wet is not that easy.  After I knew I loved triathlon, I invested in a ZOOT two piece tri kit.

Edited by MechEChick 2010-12-29 11:16 PM

2010-12-30 3:58 AM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hello all

I said i would post a bio. I guess I am the token brit in the group which is fine by me as i used this site last year which was my first year of competing and i found it great for a daily pick me up and reminder of what the end goal is.

I'm 37 and live in a town called Hertford just north of London, I am a senior manager in the aftermarket automotive sector. I have a wife and 2 girls aged 11 (read 18!) and 6. My wife is a keen spinner at the gym but wont be talked into doing a tri as she doesn't enjoy swimming.

Last year was my first year of doing triathlons. I completed 5 sprints across the summer months (400m/20-25k/5k.  I loved the competing side of it. I love to ride my bike and while in california this summer i upgraded myself at Helens cycles (great staff) in Santa Monica  from a trek 1.2 to a madone 5.2 onyx. She is a real beauty, light, stiff and quick. I have to say we get hit over here with crazy import duties etc. I saved myself $1500 or £1000 on her, buying it in the states. Rode her then just shipped her home as part of my luggage. 

When i returned i did a season ending tri that i had done earlier in the year and with little training in previous 3 weeks (holiday) I knocked 6 minutes off of my bike time. All sounds great.....

Until we talk about running! this is my nemesis and serious weak spot. I do it as a matter of course as it is part of what I love to do, just find it hard to motivate myself. A lot of this comes down to my weight. During the season i was racing at 215lbs, my weight is a serious up and down pattern. As it has been the off season and lots of work and poor weather ( all excuses i know ) i am up to 234lbs. I know this will start to drop as I get back into my training and watch what i eat more carefully. I am determined this year to make it a permanent reduction and cut the yo yo part out.

My aim by race day 1 which is the 20th March ( a chilly spring sprint ) is to be at 210lbs not an unrealistic target. That is 2lb a week to lose.

Weather here is pretty grim at present, we have had lots of snow and now it is very misty and damp so no chance of going out so bike is very much gym based.

The biggest Tri in the UK each year is the London triathlon where over 5000 people take part. I have entered a lottery to try to get into it this year and will find out in mid feb if i have been lucky. It gets oversubscribed on a huge level. If i am successfull this will be my A race and my first ever Olympic distance event.

Other races of note will be the Blenheim Tri which is run through the grounds of a stately home. 

I hope to bring a positive presence to the group and keep you abreast of what is happenning from a tri perspective in the UK. The sport is growing at a rapid rate here with some real top class athletes in all categories .

Have a great New Year all

Edited by MAC36 2010-12-30 8:46 AM
2010-12-30 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3267262

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Welcome Theresa! Running is what I struggle to stay consistent with myself... it's really easy (for me anyways) to just ramp up mileage or get frustrated with my pace and start hammering away... then I fall to pieces and get injured and have to start over haha. A good plan can really help keep you honest

Eric, welcome back! Glad to have you again.
2010-12-30 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3267363

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
acgibby - 2010-12-29 11:41 PM

Chris and Jeff,

Thank you!
What is body glide?

Christina has it right, it's for holding pre clipped in pedals into place. It's how I was taught to do it and it works out great USUALLY, but of course there are tons of horror story video's out there, even of the pro's messing it up. I found that dental floss usually works better than rubber bands as well (I have problems with rubber bands NOT snapping sometimes)

Body glide looks like a stick of old spice but is used to reduce friction (chaffing was something I didn't give enough credit when I did my IM... my triceps were bleeding where they rubbed my tri jersey so many times on the run!) and make things (insert dirty mind) easier to slide in. Like your shoes / wetsuit / etc

If you don't have a coach, the plans on the silver membership are hard to beat for the price if you like to have a strict "plan" to go by (I do)

I just upgraded to the gold, so I'm not 100% sure if it's worth the extra money or not, but I'll let you know!
2010-12-30 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Well, this is really looking like a good group coming together.  Looking forward to having some people to follow and talk to.   Now if you could all pack up and move to CO things would be great. 

For the holiday weekend, I have a run and swim planned today, then trainer ride tomorrow as it's supposed to drop down to about 2 degrees out.  Then a long run and long swim either Sat or Sun along with another trainer ride.  (tis the season for inside cycling.

As for fun this weekend, really don't have any plans, I have a wife and a 4 yo daughter who will keep me busy playing all weekend, so outside of watching some football and maybe catching some of the triathlons on TV, that's about it.

Oh yeah, and checking in with BT.

2010-12-30 7:42 AM

User image

Bronze member
I think I'd like to join if you still have room?

2010-12-30 7:57 AM

User image

South Florida

This is turning into a great group!

2 Degrees! I lived in PA for 24 years and moved down here to South Florida about 5 years ago. I dont think i can ever go back to living in the frigid north. I'm spoiled now.

2010-12-30 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: ---

Edited by jennitris 2010-12-30 8:37 AM
2010-12-30 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Hi Chris. Do you have room for 1 more? Will post BIO if I can get in.
2010-12-30 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Dina and Chris, welcome to the group!

I think we'll have room for one or two more and then I'll close it down. Looks like we're going to have a very diverse and active group to work with.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22