of 9

2011-01-17 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3305041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Cross Fit Article in Triathlete
thecatch83 - 2011-01-17 5:03 PM
jackson61802 - 2011-01-16 10:15 PM My only problem with Crossfit is that they seem to be telling all their disciples to go out and brag about how awesome they are  and that a crossfitter is better at any sport they attempt.  Just my experience.  You want to work out that way...go for it.   Just keep it to yourself.  Nobody cares how awesome you think you are.

I know right........it's almost as bad as those people who put Ironman or 140.6 stickers all over their cars, or IM logos tatooed on their calves!  How did that go again, nobody cares how awesome you think you are (see hypocrisy definition).........just sayin

Totally different.   A sticker on a car is nothing like the CF d-bags I've encountered who love to tell everyone around them how awesome they are, how no other workout is as awesome as theirs, and how because they do crossfit, they can beat any athlete at their own game.   In general, I've found triathletes to be the exact opposite.

I'm curious as to why you're so defensive about your choice of training methods?   If it works for you....great.   Why the need to convince everyone else they should be doing it too?

2011-01-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3300644

Regular
Corona
I've been doing CF for about 1 1/2 years now as my primary strength vehicle 3-4x a week. I pick and chose what I do. I try to keep it as balanced as I can so I'm not doing too much of one thing. I personally enjoy it and it works for me.

I agree with the things said about bad form and the risk of injury. I see what alot of the disciples do and it's bad bad bad form. I know a few people who have really messed themselves up with bad form.

I like CF and if you don't that's cool. I'm not one of those "Your workout is my warm up" or "You can stare just don't interupt" type of guys. I just love fitness in general and for ME this is what I prefer to do. I find it does help with my tri prep. The added strength helps me. I find my overall fitness level is higher if I add it to my tri training. In my opinion it doesn't hurt to be stronger than the guy next to you.

I'm not a pro triathlete and I'm not planning on being one. Working out is part of my lifestyle. So if SBR is your prefered method more power to you. I like to do CF and supplement it with SBR.
2011-01-17 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Are Kettlebells crossfit stuff?

b/c I am just finished my 5th class of 8 with kettelbells.  I feel good.  Today was 50 mins with kettelbells and I did a 3100yds swim about 45mins after.  My logs are open.
2011-01-17 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3305115

User image

Veteran
NAF Atsugi Japan,Medford OR.
jackson61802 - 2011-01-17 6:43 PM
thecatch83 - 2011-01-17 5:03 PM
jackson61802 - 2011-01-16 10:15 PM My only problem with Crossfit is that they seem to be telling all their disciples to go out and brag about how awesome they are  and that a crossfitter is better at any sport they attempt.  Just my experience.  You want to work out that way...go for it.   Just keep it to yourself.  Nobody cares how awesome you think you are.

I know right........it's almost as bad as those people who put Ironman or 140.6 stickers all over their cars, or IM logos tatooed on their calves!  How did that go again, nobody cares how awesome you think you are (see hypocrisy definition).........just sayin

Totally different.   A sticker on a car is nothing like the CF d-bags I've encountered who love to tell everyone around them how awesome they are, how no other workout is as awesome as theirs, and how because they do crossfit, they can beat any athlete at their own game.   In general, I've found triathletes to be the exact opposite.

I'm curious as to why you're so defensive about your choice of training methods?   If it works for you....great.   Why the need to convince everyone else they should be doing it too?

Not defensive, it just annoys me that people who have never done crossfit and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about have an opinion because of a magazine article, or a bad story from a friend who got hurt etc.  Some of my best friends own their own gym and are trainers and I have seen them transform peoples lives, and help so many out of shape people through dedicated instruction and proper nutrition classes.  I'm not defending crossfit as much as I'm defending narrow minded people who think everything besides what they are doing for training is either dangerous or snake oil........end rant
2011-01-17 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3305391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
thecatch83 - 2011-01-17 Not defensive, it just annoys me that people who have never done crossfit and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about have an opinion because of a magazine article, or a bad story from a friend who got hurt etc.  Some of my best friends own their own gym and are trainers and I have seen them transform peoples lives, and help so many out of shape people through dedicated instruction and proper nutrition classes.  I'm not defending crossfit as much as I'm defending narrow minded people who think everything besides what they are doing for training is either dangerous or snake oil........end rant

Okay then - job well done on defending the narrow minded.

Edited by JeffIrvin 2011-01-17 9:14 PM
2011-01-18 6:05 AM

User image

Elite
I think the program could be a compliment to a triathlon training program but I have 2 questions about it ...1) I think you need to have a great base or fitness and endurance first to expect those results maybe even have completed a him or I'm 2). I know a little about magazine advertising and I would like Triathlete and other magazines to disclose whether advertising money was paid for the article or not to add more credibility just like medical journals do . It usually is a small clip before or after the article . For me it seemed too much like An advertorial

2011-01-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3302014

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
thecatch83 - 2011-01-15 8:12 PM
gsmacleod - 2011-01-15 9:00 AM
thecatch83 - 2011-01-15 9:33 AM 

The fact that crossfit is even being mentioned in triathlon magazines should tell you something........

It tells me that when you are writing a monthly magazine, you write about whatever you think will sell magazines.

Shane

And it's working..........(See thread title), and what's more you're in here commenting on it....how ironical

MikeTheBear - 2011-01-15 5:58 PM Crossfit is like anything else in training (and in life, really) - it has its good and bad. Take what is good, throw the rest away, don't worry what others think. The best way to use Crossfit workouts, IMO, is to find a few workouts that you like and rotate them into your training for variety. Substitute them for an interval workout if you do intervals. Use them in place of weight training workouts if you do weight training. I find that most of the recommended weight workouts that come with the pre-packaged training plans are not good at all - better than nothing, but not good. However, if you don't have decent technique in the lifts, especially the Olympic lifts, you won't get a lot of benefit. And unfortunately, many CF boxes do a terrible job at teaching the Olympic lifts. But if you can get good instruction, or are already proficient, an exercise such as the clean and jerk can take the place of SEVERAL regular exercises. Legs, the all important core, and upper body, are all taken care of with this one lift. Result: you will dramatically reduce your time in the gym assuming that you like to add weight training to your program (and I'm not saying you should or shouldn't because that opens a whole 'nother can o'worms).

Excellent post, and that's exactly how I use CF endurance in my training.  I think there sould be a new rule added to the Guidelines for a Healthy Discussion, if you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, you shouldn't be allowed to reply to threads.  I can't wait to see the expression on my friends face (who are also IM training and crossfitting) that they are wasting their time, and CF is nothing more than gypsy snake oil used to sell magazines!

for the sake of this argument, if you are doing 2 days of crossfit a week, you aren't really following the crossfit endurance plan.
2011-01-18 7:29 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Hey Folks.

I thought I'd try and address some of the questions brought up in the Triathlete magazine article as I coached Brittany Rutter and am a CFE coach.

First of all, to help those not familiar with CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance, our training protocol for a triathlete would feature 4-6 CrossFit workouts per week (go to www.crossfit.com or one of the 2000 affiliate websites for examples of such sessions) and another 2 workouts per sport, per week.  As CrossFit workouts are optimized in a 3 days on, 1 day off cycle, the other 6 sessions (2 per sport, 1 of which is a time trial effort, the other an interval workout) are spread out during the week with either 1 full day off or 2 half days off.

As for athletes with large aerobic bases or just beginning, we have both.  For examples of various athletes and their experiences, here is a link to a thread on the CrossFit Endurance forum with blogs of almost a dozen athletes chronicling their daily workouts and performances http://www.crossfitendurance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=577.

Also of note, Triathlete magazine was not paid for this article.  In fact, the author (TJ Murphy, Editor of Competitor Group) was so intrigued by what he heard from so many CF/CFE athletes, that he decided to commit himself to learning more about this protocol, its nutrition recommendations and recovery tactics by using it himself for his endurance events and training.  You can read about TJ's experiences here http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/features/burning-runner-rising-from-the-ashes_19919.

For those of you interested in learning more, I strongly recommend you visit a local CrossFit facility to at least learn what it is that we advocate rather than taking the word of a third party or simple hearsay.  Almost every facility across the world offers free workouts on Saturday mornings or via private sessions.  Thanks in advance for the open minds!

Max
2011-01-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3305783

User image

New Haven, CT
mwunderle - 2011-01-18 8:29 AM Hey Folks.

I thought I'd try and address some of the questions brought up in the Triathlete magazine article as I coached Brittany Rutter and am a CFE coach.

First of all, to help those not familiar with CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance, our training protocol for a triathlete would feature 4-6 CrossFit workouts per week (go to www.crossfit.com or one of the 2000 affiliate websites for examples of such sessions) and another 2 workouts per sport, per week.  As CrossFit workouts are optimized in a 3 days on, 1 day off cycle, the other 6 sessions (2 per sport, 1 of which is a time trial effort, the other an interval workout) are spread out during the week with either 1 full day off or 2 half days off.

As for athletes with large aerobic bases or just beginning, we have both.  For examples of various athletes and their experiences, here is a link to a thread on the CrossFit Endurance forum with blogs of almost a dozen athletes chronicling their daily workouts and performances http://www.crossfitendurance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=577.

Also of note, Triathlete magazine was not paid for this article.  In fact, the author (TJ Murphy, Editor of Competitor Group) was so intrigued by what he heard from so many CF/CFE athletes, that he decided to commit himself to learning more about this protocol, its nutrition recommendations and recovery tactics by using it himself for his endurance events and training.  You can read about TJ's experiences here http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/features/burning-runner-rising-from-the-ashes_19919.

For those of you interested in learning more, I strongly recommend you visit a local CrossFit facility to at least learn what it is that we advocate rather than taking the word of a third party or simple hearsay.  Almost every facility across the world offers free workouts on Saturday mornings or via private sessions.  Thanks in advance for the open minds!

Max

thanks for the post - my question, which stemmed from the article was whether CF/CFE can really be the cornerstone of an endurance program.  clearly it can be a great complement.  i just have trouble understanding how you can do a 800yrd tt or 40k TT or mile intervals, 2x week, get you ready to do an IM, unless, you already have a very strong endurance base.  I am not saying you cannot complete an IM using only CF but it would seem to require layering of more tri specific training.  I wish I knew about CF when i played football, because it seems perfect for football or basketball, but I am just struggling with the concept as applied to long course racing.  again, thank you for the post.
2011-01-18 10:21 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
I can only show you what our athletes have done following this protocol.  The blogs I posted in my last link allow anyone to see each athlete's fears, concerns struggles and successes or shortcomings using this protocol.

Furthermore, if you are looking for more information regarding the concept of short duration, high intensity training translating in to longer efforts, Google "Izumi Tabata".  In a nutshell, Tabata tested 2 groups of world class speed skaters with one group riding a stationary bike for 60 minutes per day (5 days per week) at roughly 70% effort and another group who performed :20 of 100% intensity then rested for :10 8-12 times.  Net, net one group trained 5 hours per week, the other 20 minutes per week.  After 6 weeks, both groups were tested and the group that had done the shorter interval work had 15% greater aerobic capacity and 30% greater anaerobic capacity.

Max
2011-01-18 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3306221

User image

Runner
And how did that increase translate into performance on the speed skating track?

2011-01-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3301081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
thecatch83 - 2011-01-15 7:33 AM

• My biggest weeks were around 50 miles of running (18 miler longest) for marathon training and I used a 6 month program doing crossfit 3-4 days and running 3-4 days a week (sometimes training and running same days).  Now that I have added more volume training for triathlons, I have tapered down to just 2 crossfit sessions per week that are modified to focus on core strength training i.e. squats, lunges, deadlifts etc.  The fact that crossfit is even being mentioned in triathlon magazines should tell you something........

50 mpw on 3-4 days resulting in a 4 hour marathon?
    I'm guessing, you could have spread those 50 out over 5-6 days, maybe even added a few miles and smoked 4 hours. Just sayin.
    2011-01-18 10:50 AM
    in reply to: #3305240

Elite
    Denver, Colorado
    tasr - 2011-01-17 7:11 PM

Are Kettlebells crossfit stuff?

b/c I am just finished my 5th class of 8 with kettelbells.  I feel good.  Today was 50 mins with kettelbells and I did a 3100yds swim about 45mins after.  My logs are open.

Although CF uses kettlebells for some of their workouts they are not exclusively CF - hardly. In fact, there was a falling out between KB guru Pavel Tsatsouline and CF guy Greg Glassman which caused Glassman to come up with the so-called "American kettlebell swing" which, IMO and the opinion of others, is just a really stupid way to do a swing. That said, kettlebells try to combine weight training with cardio to form "cardio strength training." This is somewhat similar to the goal of CF. I happen to think this is a good way to kill two birds with one stone. It is a compromise - you won't get the same strength gains as you would following a dedicated strength program, and I would never recommend that someone train for a marathon exclusively with kettlebells (it's been tried, and the guy's legs were hurting pretty bad after the marathon).
    2011-01-18 10:51 AM
    in reply to: #3301712

User image

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY
    casaubon - 2011-01-15 3:29 PM

I don't understand why they're so intent on claiming they can train in such a specific sport. And it's not like you see similar claims on CF about cycling or BQing or anything. They seem to have a real thing about triathlon specifically.

That’s a great point that shouldn’t be lost on anyone. Triathlon is a fast-growing sport that attracts a very appealing demographic: people in their 30’s and 40’s with lots of disposable income. It’s not surprising at all that CF would specifically target those potential customers by specifically addressing triathlon in their marketing, as opposed to running, cycling, or swimming alone.

I’ve seen a number of real estate ads for new luxury apartment buildings in Manhattan that have begun calling their fitness facility a “triathlon training center”, because it has a tiny lap pool, a treadmill, and some high-end spin bikes . They’ve obviously figured out that if you put the word “triathlon” in front of anything, triathletes will come running, waving their checkbooks.

I don’t know if it works, but the fact that they’ve made such a push to recruit triathletes to the exclusion of other endurance athletes says to me that it’s as much about attracting a big cash cow as anything else.
    2011-01-18 10:58 AM
    in reply to: #3306260

Elite
    Denver, Colorado
    Scout7 - 2011-01-18 10:31 AM

And how did that increase translate into performance on the speed skating track?

The Tabata study did not look into this. Its purpose was to compare short, high-intensity workouts with longer, slower workouts. The study found that a short, high-intensity workout can provide a significant increase in VO2max.

What the CFE folks have done is taken this study and have concluded that "less is more" and that all endurance training can be be comprised of short, high-intensity workouts, with a few longish workouts thrown in here and there. I don't agree with that.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2011-01-18 11:02 AM
    2011-01-18 11:00 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
    Oh, now this is getting rich....

The reason why we have "spoken" to the triathlete (potentially vs. other endurance specific sports--which is false, by the way) is based on the traditional mentality that managing 3 sports, strength training, equipment knowledge and nutrition protocols can be daunting to some athletes.  The CF/CFE protocol provides an optional way of training without thinking one must train exhaustively in 3 different modalities.

Also, the CF/CFE protocol can be applied to any endurance activity (rowing, running, swimming, adventure racing, biking, etc).  The concept is the same.  Perform 4-6 CrossFit workouts per week and another 2-3 per sport specificity.  We have ultra runners, open water swimmers and adventure racers all using this protocol.

Max

2011-01-18 11:01 AM
    in reply to: #3306366

User image

Runner
    MikeTheBear - 2011-01-18 11:58 AM

The Tabata study did not look into this. Its purpose was to compare short, high-intensity workouts with longer, slower workouts. The study found that a short, high-intensity workout can provide a significant increase in VO2max.

So, in other words, we have no idea what the effect was on actual performance when it came to the specific sport, correct?

2011-01-18 11:13 AM
    in reply to: #3306221

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA
    mwunderle - 2011-01-18 10:21 AM I can only show you what our athletes have done following this protocol.  The blogs I posted in my last link allow anyone to see each athlete's fears, concerns struggles and successes or shortcomings using this protocol.

Furthermore, if you are looking for more information regarding the concept of short duration, high intensity training translating in to longer efforts, Google "Izumi Tabata".  In a nutshell, Tabata tested 2 groups of world class speed skaters with one group riding a stationary bike for 60 minutes per day (5 days per week) at roughly 70% effort and another group who performed :20 of 100% intensity then rested for :10 8-12 times.  Net, net one group trained 5 hours per week, the other 20 minutes per week.  After 6 weeks, both groups were tested and the group that had done the shorter interval work had 15% greater aerobic capacity and 30% greater anaerobic capacity.

Max

Really? CFE hangs their hat on that? Even I who disagrees with absurd CFE  statements that: 1) we coaches/athletes don't know how to properly do endurance training 2) CFE will revolutionize the endurance training world 3) specificity is a waste of time, I can think of at least 5 better examples as to why HIIT can complement (notice I didn't write it can replace it) specific endurance training.

Even the most encouraging results from HIIT or resistance training such as plyos indicate the gains that can be accomplished by adding this type of training, revolve around neuromuscular adaptations. Sure, if you grab untrained individuals any training will be beneficial to the point VO2max and even LT will increase but what about those studies showing greater training adaptations when specific training is performed? i.e. not doing nonsense of 70% effort of VO2 max.

If you are familiar with Google, I am sure you are also familiar which the vast existing evidence regarding the specificity concept? While HIIT can enhance certain training adaptations it can't replace specific training that will produce adaptations needed to succeed in endurance sports (aerobic system, musculoskeletal system, metabolic fitness, etc.)
    2011-01-18 11:22 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
    Ah, yes...more rhetoric...

Jorge, I'm glad to see that you've joined the discussion as I would ask you to please show the sources for your wide sweeping generalizations about CFE followers or leaders you noted in your post.  Then perhaps we can deal with and cite facts, rather than hearsay....

As for the Tabata protocol, jsklarz asked a question about how intensity can trump time.  I simply provided the background of a study that had been carried out and the appropriate results. 

Max
    2011-01-18 11:31 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2011-01-18 11:33 AM
    in reply to: #3306438

Coach
    Boston, MA
    mwunderle - 2011-01-18 11:22 AM Ah, yes...more rhetoric...

Jorge, I'm glad to see that you've joined the discussion as I would ask you to please show the sources for your wide sweeping generalizations about CFE followers or leaders you noted in your post.  Then perhaps we can deal with and cite facts, rather than hearsay....

As for the Tabata protocol, jsklarz asked a question about how intensity can trump time.  I simply provided the background of a study that had been carried out and the appropriate results. 

Max

Sweeping generalizations? You mean about the statements made by the CF/CFE creator as to how CFE would revolutionize endurance training?

2011-01-18 11:38 AM
    in reply to: #3306375

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    mwunderle - 2011-01-18 1:00 PM

Also, the CF/CFE protocol can be applied to any endurance activity (rowing, running, swimming, adventure racing, biking, etc).  The concept is the same.  Perform 4-6 CrossFit workouts per week and another 2-3 per sport specificity.  We have ultra runners, open water swimmers and adventure racers all using this protocol.

Max,

I have two questions:

1)  Was the athlete in the article a CFE sponsored athlete?
    2)  Every triathlete that I have seen written about who followed a CF/CFE approach has either performed worse than their PB for a distance or underperformed at a longer distance based on shorter results.  Are there success stories within the ultra runners, OW swimmer and adventure racers?

Shane
    2011-01-18 11:45 AM

Coach
    Boston, MA
    Fred Doucette - 2011-01-18 11:31 AM I would suggest keeping a civil dialogue. As a bit of background, Max is an extremely accomplished triathlete and kona qualifier. No comment on CFE either way. Just pointing out that Max is a legitimate triathlete and not just a CFE guy. Carry on.
    Cool beans, unfortunately we are not discussing about what Max can or can't do, IOW, his personal accomplishments are irrelevant. The fact he had KQ provides no more credibility to his opinions. What we I am discussing are CFE claims, in particular those claims made by the founder(s) such as:

"We have revolutionized endurance training…" really? how? Does Macca or Chrissie or Alexander or Mirinda or... train using this approach? How does including HIIT training to complement endurance training is revolutionary if this has been done by many elite coaches/athletes for decades?
    2011-01-18 11:53 AM
    in reply to: #3306379

Elite
    Denver, Colorado
    Scout7 - 2011-01-18 11:01 AM

MikeTheBear - 2011-01-18 11:58 AM

So, in other words, we have no idea what the effect was on actual performance when it came to the specific sport, correct?

From what I understand of the study, the Japanese speed skaters were already using this protocol - 20 seconds high intensity with 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes - as part of their workouts. Despite the fact that everyone calls it the "Tabata workout," Izumi Tabata did not invent it. He simply saw it being performed and decided to do a study to compare it to more traditional training methods. So, somewhere, at some point, a Japanese Olympic speed skating coach decided that riding a stationary bike crazy-a$$ fast for 4 minutes would be a good addition to a speed skater's training program.

If it sounds like I'm defending the Tabata study, you're exactly right. It was good research and provided some interesting clues about exercise physiology. The problem is that idiot personal trainers have taken the protocol and turned it into a marketing gimmick - "fitness in 4 minutes." Yes, it will increase fitness in 4 minutes, but we're talking the most brutal 4 minutes you've ever spent. It is an all-out sprint. In fact, I would bet good money that if you took an endurance athlete and had him or her do a PROPER Tabata interval, they would gladly go back to their longer, slower distance workouts. I've done these intervals myself, and I don't do them often. That should tell you something.
    2011-01-18 12:04 PM

West Simsbury, CT
    These snow days offer too much time in front of the computer!

I agree with Jorge.  My experience and/or opinions are not relevant here.  I am simply offering information about an alternative training method that athletes are using with success.  This training protocol happens to be very different from the traditional model--as such many people are loathe to take the time to investigate it, try it or "risk" it.

As for the question about "CFE sponsorship", no.  There are no CFE sponsored athletes.  Brittany was a client of mine in the 2010 season in her ramp up to IMLP.  She had done about half a dozen Ironmans and had grown wary of not improving her performance.  This year featured her performing faster than she had in over 6 years at the full and half Ironman distances.

Also, contrary to the characterization that CF/CFE athletes have not improved their PRs using this protocol, one only needs to review the blogs of athletes who've used this protocol in the previous post I made.  It has been my experience (of my athletes) that everyone of them has PR'd in one performance or many.  I can't speak to any others.

Lastly, Jorge mentioned that Brian MacKenzie noted the CFE has "revolutionized endurance training".  Well, the definition of "revolutionize" is to radical alter or change something.  If someone was training 15-20 hrs per week with limited intensity and now trains 8-10 hrs per week with completely different movements and high intensity, I would call that "revolutionary".  Is it widespread revolution?  No, not yet.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross Fit Article in Triathlete Rss Feed  

of 9