General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sheila Taormina's new Book: Swim Speed Secrets for Triathletes. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-04-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4169648

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Sheila Taormina's new Book: Swim Speed Secrets for Triathletes.
Shipped!

2012-04-26 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've jumped on this bandwagon and ordered it! Sounds like exactly what I need I also threw in Chrissie's autobiography to the order
2012-04-26 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Did you buy it from the UK?  Not available at Amazon US yet   Can't wait for that one.
2012-04-26 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I ordered it in the U.S.....I'm pretty sure I did, at least. It says it'll be available May 15, but my order says it'll ship between May 3 and May 8. That's a little confusing. Still, even if it's 3 weeks before I get it, that's cool. I can't wait to read it either!
2012-04-26 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

I'll bite. Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendations. With my first race still 4 months away, I have time to both read the book AND try to incorporate its advice!

Now, Sheila's biggest challenge will be: can she drill through my thick and stubborn skull and in any way alter the form I seem so stuck in, without actually being in the pool with me to yank my arms into proper position...?

2012-04-26 12:29 PM

I bit.  I too seem to be stuck around 2:00/100m.  Looking forward to reading it!

2012-04-26 1:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Add me to the list of folks who jumped in and bought the book.  At this point I will take any and all help I can get at speeding up my swim! 

Since others mentioned Chrissie's book, I hope to go meet her at her signing in MD and pick up her book there, all while trying not to be the shy, nearly speechless because I have no idea what meaningful thing to say (but saying trite, overused sayings when I do speak) goober that I turn into when I am in the presence of someone I really admire.

2012-04-26 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4174980

User image

Extreme Veteran
melbo55 - 2012-04-26 1:23 PM

Add me to the list of folks who jumped in and bought the book.  At this point I will take any and all help I can get at speeding up my swim! 

Since others mentioned Chrissie's book, I hope to go meet her at her signing in MD and pick up her book there, all while trying not to be the shy, nearly speechless because I have no idea what meaningful thing to say (but saying trite, overused sayings when I do speak) goober that I turn into when I am in the presence of someone I really admire.

That is so cool! I wish I could go to one of the signings....nearest one is a 4 hour drive though on a weekday. I have no idea what I'd say either, but I'm sure by now she's used to just about everything. Have fun and snag a photo if you can!

2012-04-26 4:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
What does she have to say about balance int his book ? In Call the Suit, she dismissed balance as being so easy that swimmers should be able to learn it in an hour or less, and that she was glad that she missed practice the day that Bill Boomer came to guest coach.

yet as we've seen in SO MANY videos uploaded here to BT that balance is the #1 issue plaguing triathlete's swims.

her advice is good for swimmers who are already swimming fast and want to get even faster, at least from the first book. But misleading in the sense that she minimizes the effort required for many to improve balance.

Just curious if she has acknowleged how difficult it is for many triathletes to work on this...

BTW, there are no secrets...

For those posting trouble getting past 2 minutes/100 I guarantee it's not your pull that's keeping you from getting faster at this point, it's drag. You can work on pull if you want, but if you're just using it to fight drag there are better thngs to spend your pool time on right now.

Edited by AdventureBear 2012-04-26 4:40 PM
2012-04-26 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4175560

User image

AdventureBear - 2012-04-26 3:38 PM What does she have to say about balance int his book ? In Call the Suit, she dismissed balance as being so easy that swimmers should be able to learn it in an hour or less, and that she was glad that she missed practice the day that Bill Boomer came to guest coach. yet as we've seen in SO MANY videos uploaded here to BT that balance is the #1 issue plaguing triathlete's swims. her advice is good for swimmers who are already swimming fast and want to get even faster, at least from the first book. But misleading in the sense that she minimizes the effort required for many to improve balance. Just curious if she has acknowleged how difficult it is for many triathletes to work on this... BTW, there are no secrets... For those posting trouble getting past 2 minutes/100 I guarantee it's not your pull that's keeping you from getting faster at this point, it's drag. You can work on pull if you want, but if you're just using it to fight drag there are better thngs to spend your pool time on right now.

I am one of those having trouble getting past 2 minutes and thought it was my pull since I know I pull with straight arms. If you have other suggestions on what I need to work on please pass on as I am all ears at this point.

Edited by Forsey 2012-04-26 4:49 PM
2012-04-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4175578

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Forsey - 2012-04-26 3:48 PM

AdventureBear - 2012-04-26 3:38 PM What does she have to say about balance int his book ? In Call the Suit, she dismissed balance as being so easy that swimmers should be able to learn it in an hour or less, and that she was glad that she missed practice the day that Bill Boomer came to guest coach. yet as we've seen in SO MANY videos uploaded here to BT that balance is the #1 issue plaguing triathlete's swims. her advice is good for swimmers who are already swimming fast and want to get even faster, at least from the first book. But misleading in the sense that she minimizes the effort required for many to improve balance. Just curious if she has acknowleged how difficult it is for many triathletes to work on this... BTW, there are no secrets... For those posting trouble getting past 2 minutes/100 I guarantee it's not your pull that's keeping you from getting faster at this point, it's drag. You can work on pull if you want, but if you're just using it to fight drag there are better thngs to spend your pool time on right now.

I am one of those having trouble getting past 2 minutes and thought it was my pull since I know I pull with straight arms. If you have other suggestions on what I need to work on please pass on as I am all ears at this point.

Post a video.

2012-04-26 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4175583

User image

AdventureBear - 2012-04-26 3:52 PM
Forsey - 2012-04-26 3:48 PM

Post a video.

Here you go. This was last week. We have since then worked on higher elbows and softer entry as well as extending the reach.

2012-04-26 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4175776

User image

Master
Forsey - 2012-04-26 7:48 PM
Here you go. This was last week. We have since then worked on higher elbows and softer entry as well as extending the reach.

Not bad at all, and can get faster pretty quick.  Besides the low elbows during the pull (i.e. need to work on the catch), you're head is high in the water and your lower half is correspondingly low.  Your kick is a bit too big, but the first order of business is fixing that body position.  You can improve times very quickly by getting your lower half up (i.e. get your butt up).

BTW, TriAya - specifically what do you think of this book for the fairly decent swimmer?  We are about the same level and your opinion from that perspective would be very helpful.

2012-04-27 12:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I jumped in the pool and got this book.  I can use any help that I can get - always looking for an idea or two to improve my swim.
2012-04-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4176000

User image

Melon Presser
sand101 - 2012-04-27 12:57 PM
Forsey - 2012-04-26 7:48 PM

Not bad at all, and can get faster pretty quick.  Besides the low elbows during the pull (i.e. need to work on the catch), you're head is high in the water and your lower half is correspondingly low.  Your kick is a bit too big, but the first order of business is fixing that body position.  You can improve times very quickly by getting your lower half up (i.e. get your butt up).

BTW, TriAya - specifically what do you think of this book for the fairly decent swimmer?  We are about the same level and your opinion from that perspective would be very helpful.

I've shared and discussed parts of the book (in hand) with an Olympic swimmer (finalist) and two world open-water record holders (one a former pool record holder). All three (still swimming, one in triathlon) had a-ha moments about their own swimming.

It's changed the way I swim and changed the way I coach.

I'll include a quote from the book: "You may be on the verge of cracking into the very top of the elite ranks but wonder how you are going to climb the next rung ... this book will help you do that."

That is some seriously confident language, but she's the most honest person I know, and the book, and my experience with sharing its insights backs that claim up.

For those who are newer and uncertain, I will address that in another post, as Suzanne (AdventureBear) also brought up some thoughts about that.

Edited by TriAya 2012-04-27 11:08 AM
2012-04-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4176794

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TriAya - 2012-04-27 10:07 AM

I'll include a quote from the book: "You may be on the verge of cracking into the very top of the elite ranks but wonder how you are going to climb the next rung ... this book will help you do that."

I think this is an accurate description of her target market for the first book. I feel is seriously lacking for most triathletes (FOMOP and below)

2012-04-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4176833

User image

Melon Presser

I've done some editing to more concisely address some points AdventureBear brought up.

AdventureBear - 2012-04-28 12:21 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-27 10:07 AM

I think this is an accurate description of her target market for the first book. I feel is seriously lacking for most triathletes (FOMOP and below)

Not at all. She specifically addresses those new to swimming in her intro, and in the final chapter she notes as those she assumes reading the book to be: "1. Adults learning to swim" and "3. Swimmers and triathletes who have worked on body position and gliding as their vital element for years."

What does she have to say about balance int his book ? In Call the Suit, she dismissed balance as being so easy that swimmers should be able to learn it in an hour or less, and that she was glad that she missed practice the day that Bill Boomer came to guest coach .... BTW, there are no secrets...

Call the Suit IS Swim Speed Secrets. Same book, republished and retitled by VeloPress.

She specifically mentions balance in the context of six pages devoted to what she demonstrates is the most important principle in learning to swim well, and thus fast. I think it is up to her readers and those who have tried and taught (successfully or not, but so far I've heard and seen for myself nothing but ravingly positive feedback) her ideas to comment on whether or not it makes sense and most importantly, WORKS.

yet as we've seen in SO MANY videos uploaded here to BT that balance is the #1 issue plaguing triathlete's swims.

Just curious if she has acknowleged how difficult it is for many triathletes to work on this...

I would say that identifying balance as the #1 issue in triathletes' swimming is a matter of opinion. There are many very qualified and able coaches--absolutely including yourself--who believe this, and there are many equally so who do not.

To my understanding, Sheila mainly coaches triathletes now, across the spectrum (including physically challenged ones just taking the sport up and not being able to swim at all). In my opinion, both having worked with her and now using the principles in her book as the basis for my own swimming and coaching, she especially (I hesitate to even put "I" in the same sentence) and to some degree I have a pretty good idea of the issues that newer swimmers and particularly triathletes struggle with in learning to swim.

I have no doubt that your approach (which I assume to focus first on balance) works well with athletes you coach. So does hers.

For those posting trouble getting past 2 minutes/100 I guarantee it's not your pull that's keeping you from getting faster at this point, it's drag. You can work on pull if you want, but if you're just using it to fight drag there are better thngs to spend your pool time on right now.

Again, I think this is a matter of opinion. I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a blanket statement that says people struggling to get past 2:00/100 (I'm assuming this is ballpark endurance pace, not all out?) have drag as their main issue. It's probably one of their issues, but whether it's the most important and needs to be addressed first, I couldn't say without seeing them swim.

2012-04-27 12:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about hte book.

If speed is the result of the difference between drag force holding you back and propulsive force moving you forward, then there are 2 ways to get faster. a) reduce drag or b) increase propulsion.

Reducing drag requires some experimentation with balance, engaging core muscles and being comfortable usually with the head much lower in the water than before...but from an energy cost point of view, it's a very low cost way to increase speed. Improve balance with little additinal energy input (and freuqently energy savings) and you'll get faster.

Increasing propulsion is the other side of the equation and certainly there are high energy cost ways of doing this and low energy cost ways of doing this. Lowe energy cost ways included simply correcting the angles of teh shoulder/elbow/forearm during the stroke and holding relative positions throughout the stroke. This is a reeducation of the muscles involved and requires backing off from the larger muscles many are trying to use to move forward.

Simlar things apply with the kick...if your kick is mechanically out of whack you can use a lot of energy and not move anywhere. You can improve your kick but even when you do so, you are adding speed to the "expensive" side of the speed equation (increasing propulsion).

Anyway, I have experienced first hand a number of people including fast swimmers, who have either read her book or attended her clinic and have shown limited improvement and introduction of some wacky things in their stroke while trying to "overachieve" the componenets she writes about in her book.

I think her advice is great for many advanced swimmers, but feel that she a) simplifies what beginner & intermediate adults need to do to start swimming well and b) displays a lack of understanding of how swimmers move forward simply throwing in a number of different philosophies of forward propulsion without insightful discussion.

I do own the book and I look at the pretty pictures and I learned a handful of things...but it's not a book I recommend to the majority of triathletes I work with.
2012-04-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4176940

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TriAya - 2012-04-27 11:11 AM

Again, I think this is a matter of opinion. I'm sorry, but I can't agree with a blanket statement that says people struggling to get past 2:00/100 (I'm assuming this is ballpark endurance pace, not all out?) have drag as their main issue. It's probably one of their issues, but whether it's the most important and needs to be addressed first, I couldn't say without seeing them swim.

I'll accept this challenge...show me the videos

at that speed, most swimmers simply don't have the experience or time in the water to have developed good strokes/pulls or kicks. But invariably none of them have good balance. Improve that one thing and everythign else simply works better. THEN take the time to modify the stroke or kick. No swim problem gets fixed immediately and swimmers whose arms are simply slippping back creating no traction at all have a hard time doing anything to improve their swim...but improving traction and perfecting a high elbow catch are two different projects. The first suitable for newer swimmers, the latter suitable for more advanced.
2012-04-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4176996

User image

Melon Presser
AdventureBear - 2012-04-28 1:34 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-27 11:11 AM

I'll accept this challenge...show me the videos at that speed, most swimmers simply don't have the experience or time in the water to have developed good strokes/pulls or kicks. But invariably none of them have good balance. Improve that one thing and everythign else simply works better. THEN take the time to modify the stroke or kick. No swim problem gets fixed immediately and swimmers whose arms are simply slippping back creating no traction at all have a hard time doing anything to improve their swim...but improving traction and perfecting a high elbow catch are two different projects. The first suitable for newer swimmers, the latter suitable for more advanced.

Heh. I think one of the videos currently posted is a classic example, if you look at your own comments, TJ's, and then finally the OP's perception of what his coach (another biggie) told him.

And I think all of them have useful information and valid points that can help, even if they vary regarding the primary issue.

I understand that you are coming from a very different swim coaching approach than Sheila is. I also think that your comment

"displays a lack of understanding of how swimmers move forward simply throwing in a number of different philosophies of forward propulsion without insightful discussion"

is not at all what I see that she's written. I saw an elegant and thoroughly researched, cohesive and clearly demonstrated overarching principle of swimming that makes sense of propulsion in a way that I can actually apply to my swimming and coaching.

2012-04-27 1:11 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This has been a most interesting discussion between the two of you, keep it up! 

Now I'm gonna have to buy the book! 

2012-04-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4177043

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TriAya - 2012-04-27 11:56 AM
I saw an elegant and thoroughly researched, cohesive and clearly demonstrated overarching principle of swimming that makes sense of propulsion in a way that I can actually apply to my swimming and coaching.

I saw her simply throw forward many principles which have been discussed in the past and in the end say "I don't know what works", when there's actually been supported research in computational fluid dynamics suggesting that some of them don't actually contribute and are mythical elements of propulsion. She could at least read the literature if she's going to discuss it.

if you don't _really_ know what makes swimmers move forward then why even discuss the science?

Regarding the other thread you mentioned...yep, all of those things are present. Give each of us 1 or 2 hours with teh swimmer in question and he'll improve. The question is which improvement should be tackled first? I say easy drag reduction always takes precidence as its a fundamental barrier to getting faster and using less energy. Bigger engine or more streamlined hull? Both are needed to swim faster, but what's most appropriate for the swimmer in question given limited time? What should be the NEXT STEP? What should he do TODAY in the water? I'll leave those as rhetorical discussions.

BTW I hope you don't feel ike this is a personal attack...I'm actually enjoying this conversation as her book is a source of love/hate for me. Some of what she write, plus the photos I love. Much of it I find written from a defensive POV that's very unattractive to me.
2012-04-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4177072

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
axteraa - 2012-04-27 12:11 PM

What would even be better is if all of us got together and went swimming for an afternoon. What say we meet up at an open water race somewhere soon?
2012-04-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4177097

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
AdventureBear - 2012-04-27 3:25 PM

What would even be better is if all of us got together and went swimming for an afternoon. What say we meet up at an open water race somewhere soon?

I'm there!

2012-04-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4177097

User image

Melon Presser
AdventureBear - 2012-04-28 2:25 AM

Bali Ocean Swim 10K, July 7 ... pweeeez come, you can stay at my place! Uh ... I hope you like animals.

Nah, I've thoroughly enjoyed our repartee. I love hearing from the choir, so to speak, but what am I going to learn about my own approach, never mind yours, from that?

ETA: Bali Tri is only two weeks before ... and there's a 1.2K and 5K option at the OWS. No Mickey Mouse affair. Put on by two Olympians one of whom is a gold medalist. 10K winner last year ssssmoked it in at just over 2 hours. That's 1:12/100m.

Edited by TriAya 2012-04-27 1:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sheila Taormina's new Book: Swim Speed Secrets for Triathletes. Rss Feed  

of 4