Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-27 5:05 PM
in reply to: #630395

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Madcow's group - Open
Sounds great! Thanks... Madcow, aka: Tom.

Hey, if the group is full.. might want to change the Subject to read FULL. Otherwise, the more the merrier... right?

I love the fact that our group has a wide range of experience... from the beginner... to more tenured tri athletes. Good stuff!

Can't wait to get to know each of you!

2006-12-27 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Madcow,

Ok, so I am now totally confussed.
Who is officially in our group?

For the good of the group please send out a post with each team member so we can add their logs to our favorites.

If you could add where everyone is from would be nice also. I am from Albany, NY.

My name is also Tom.....I would like to go by TC and thus not get confussed if someone is asking Tom / Madcow a question......does that sound OK to everyone.

Thanks,
TC

2006-12-27 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Tom, thanks for having my sorry carcass.  Given that, guess I need to 'fess up.

Name:  Foolproof/Janice

Story:  Never athletic.  Ran a little, biked a little, rock climed a little.  Went to the gym.  Spinned.  Eh. 

Got more serious about running and lifting prior to turning 40 (I'm 44 ... 45 now under USAT rules).  I've lived in Florida 36 months/5 hurricanes/1 scorpion sting.  I moved here from Boston and bought my house 6 weeks before Charley hit.  Then came Frances and Jeanne.  Who knew closet space would be so dear?  My hurricane boxes included a lot of red wine and Tastycake Cupcakes and I, um ... ballooned ... under the stress.  Topped out at 173 (I'm 5'9".  I started running consistently that September (badly) and met a neighbor that helped me to run more efficiently.  He introduced me to triathalon, but I was such a horrible swimmer (read:  I shower) that a tri was off the radar.  [drama font]  We started dating and then when we broke up, I took up tri just pi*s him off (he's my neighbor) [/drama font].  Got down to 139lbs in February of 2005.  Ran the Marathon Key Bridge Run (6.9 miles) in 53 minutes with no LD run training.  Did the 2005 FAU Sprint in April and DNF'd because I had a panic attack befor the first buoy.  Still did the bike (on a hybrid) and run.  Tore my calf in August and was just a despondent mess until Christmas last year (back up to the mid-160's).  Healed the calf, bought my beloved 'Sunny', practiced swimming and did FAU again in '06.  My stellar 17 minute swim was all on my back.  But I finished.  Tried St. A's (148lbs), but Tampa Bay spit me out.  Still did the bike and run (ran with Sue7013).

I've been working on base training.  Tried to train for the 1/2M at Palm Beach, but exceeded the 10% rule and ended up with quad tendenitis.

[drama font]  After the scorpion sting (while volunteering at my Tri club's Water Station at MiamiMan 1/2-Oly in November), the former SO has stepped back into the picture (Firefighter/Paramedic, former Lifeguard). Apparently, he was impressed I continued to train.  Yawn.  I can now breath bi-laterally and my bike speed is increasing (thank god his bike is 15 years old ... any carbon and he'd be gone). [/drama font]

Came to the realization flying back from Massachusetts that Florida is my home, and that tri is the lifestyle I want.  I'm back down to 150-ish (okay I HATE HURRICANE SEASON and gained but I'm over it.  I flew out last Thursday at 148 and then I ate a LOT of junk over the holidays).  But I like the discipline. 

Tom, you scared me with the 'I'll never do an Olympic.'  But you're right.  It's my distance.  I'm hobbled by my swim ability, but the first 6 on the bike were just a warm up.  25 works.  I still crush *him* on the run.

Family Status:  Divorced 8 years.  3 cats.  A training partner who is, for the most part, don't pin me down here, my SO, who is into tri and has Sprints on his schedule and who is training me for St. A's.  And who if he bails, so be it ... I'm still making Tampa Bay my beeyatch.

Current Training:  Will start following the Oly program Jan 1, but make it work around *my* work schedule and *his* fire station duty.  Or not.

2006 Races:  Gasparilla 15K, FAU Wellness Sprint, St. Anthony's Olympic, Sebring Sprint (5th place hardware ), got my braces off (who knew middle age could be so FUN), and then just base trained.

2007:  Gasparilla 1/2M (I want to do the 15k to see how I've improved, but I so want to hang with the cool kids, but I don't think I have a 1/2m in me), Firefighter Sprint in March, (7 Mile Bridge Run again if possible in April), FAU Spring in early April, St. A's in late April, *too f'ing hot to race in SoFla in the summer*, Sebring Sprint again in July because 2006 was the inagural and I want to see how I do again, Loggerhead Sprint in September and if I have survived St. A's, Escape to Miami in October.

Weightloss:  I think I've drilled enough on that.  I hate being 170, loved being 139 but it's too hard to maintain.  145 works for me.  O sheit.  Now I need to start listing my weight on my log.

Thanks all! 

2006-12-27 5:55 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Madcow's group - FULL

Great story Janice! Don't worry about doing 1'2's or full's until you are ready. That distance will always be there. The key is for you to get to the starting line uninjured.

TC- Sorry about the confusion, I type reaaaly slow

The final group is:
KSH - Karen
swgtri- Sahnnon
foolproof- Janice
TC117- TC
PanicTour- Keith
NewHymie- Herman
TimmyMay- Timmy
Snaps10- ?
Madcow- Tom

Also I am from San Diego

2006-12-27 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Madcow,

Here is my first Tri related question.
How do we get cool sponsors like you have at the bottom of your posts? Do tell!

I was able to con my work into sponsoring a team for the Disney marathon. they paid our entry fee, flight, tee-shirts made, van to start at 4AM & we have to pay for our own room.

We have a team of 5 .....had 6 but one guy dropped out.

Guess now they expect us to finish.....Yikes.
2006-12-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #634662

User image

Elite
San Diego

TC117 - 2006-12-27 4:15 PM Madcow, Here is my first Tri related question. How do we get cool sponsors like you have at the bottom of your posts? Do tell! I was able to con my work into sponsoring a team for the Disney marathon. they paid our entry fee, flight, tee-shirts made, van to start at 4AM & we have to pay for our own room. We have a team of 5 .....had 6 but one guy dropped out. Guess now they expect us to finish.....Yikes.

Easy, I applied I got my first sponsor (The Degree Ironman Team) after only doing one race, a sprint where finished middle of the pack. I was sponsored by them for 2 years. In reality, I didn't get much out of it other than a bunch of free clothes. In 2005 and 06 I was sponsored by a company that wanted to put on a tri team, so the company found other companies to add to the team. Unfortunately, I think the owner of the company cared more about the tri team than he did about selling items...the company folded, but I got lots of free things over the last two years.

Actually TC, you are on the right track as far as sponsoring goes. The only thing a company wants is exposure. The more exposure, the better. So even if you don't find a "tri" company to sponsor you, you still might be able to convince a company (even yours) to pay for something as long as your advertise for them

2006-12-27 8:16 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Ok, I'm trying to get all my info together, so if you would be so kind as to let me know a few things:

Currently
Do you have access to a bike trainer or can you ride outside
Can you run outside or on a treadmill
Can you swim in a pool or OW
What is your "A" race for 2007 and what is the date

I was thinking it would be fun to know when you are getting close to your "A" race, or any race for that matter. That way you will have your own virtual cheering section on race day and extra support leading up to your race.

If we we are all able to train during the winter, I would like to have little challenges to keep us motivated. Nothing too serious, just for fun.

Let me know

Tom

2006-12-27 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
awesome, thanks for letting me in.

sotyr/family: my name is daniel torres known worldwide across the interweb as snaps10. i am 26 years old, 6'2" 168lbs. i am married to a beautiful woman who has twice made me a father. i have a 3 year old named dawson, and a 7 month old named meredith. i own an insurance agency in porterville, california, which, thank God, allows me a fairly flexible schedule. i grew up on a bicycle. as early as i can remember there were professional cyclng teams staying in our house. when i was around 14 my uncle fell while on a group ride with my dad and his brothers, he went unconscious, broke his collarbone, etc. really bad. my dad stopped riding, and i wasn't alllowed to ride alone. at age 17 i was allowed to ride alone, so i bought another road bike (serotta, one of those "dang! why did i sell it" bikes.) and road until i got engaged, rather than go into debt to pay for my wifes ring, i sold my beloved serotta.
fast forward a few years (ive put the noncycling years out of my memory) i know am back on the bicycle, and started jogging a little recently. sports background: played soccer from age of 12-my freshman year of college (dislocated kneecap ended my college soccer career during spring training). ran track in highschool, my athletic claim to fame is a 1st place medals my senior year all league 330intermediate hurdles, 110 highs, and 4x100 relay.

currently training for napa sprint on may 6. my first triathlon. my wife gave me the ok to join a local tri club run by a trainer here in town (www.justintrain.com) . my goal is to complete the sprint tri in under 90 minutes. the swim is kinda worrying me though, i just don't want to give up too much time. justin is planning on an olympic distance later in the year, and possible a HIM after that. we'll see how im feeling after napa before i decide on a goal for those races.

past races: none, never done a tri.

weightloss/strength: God's blessed me with one of those bodies that can go from the couch to in shape in a matter of a couple weeks. i currently weigh 168, want to be down to 155 before the sprint. 175 is the heaviest i've ever been. i've never lifted weights before, i've never even done one bench press. i'd really like to build up my upper body some. ive never really had a chest or arms, and think it might be kinda nice (for my wife as well! haha)

i have rollers, and can ride outside most of the time. it been a little cold and rainy lately though. i have a treadmill as well. im working on a place to swim right now, and hopefully the tri club comes up with something. i can also swim open water within 10 minutes of my office (lake).

im excited to be in this group and draw off of some of your experience. so...
first question, should i worry about aero bars for a sprint tri, or just ride in the drops? this is going to be my stongest leg by far.
2006-12-27 11:56 PM
in reply to: #634856

User image

Elite
San Diego

im excited to be in this group and draw off of some of your experience. so... first question, should i worry about aero bars for a sprint tri, or just ride in the drops? this is going to be my stongest leg by far.

Welcome Daniel,

Don't sweat the aero bars. With your cycling experience you will probably be faster than a lot of guys with their $5000 carbon tri bikes! Afterall it is all about the engine

2006-12-28 8:42 AM
in reply to: #634754

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
madcow - 2006-12-27 8:16 PM

Ok, I'm trying to get all my info together, so if you would be so kind as to let me know a few things:

Currently

I was thinking it would be fun to know when you are getting close to your "A" race, or any race for that matter. That way you will have your own virtual cheering section on race day and extra support leading up to your race.

If we we are all able to train during the winter, I would like to have little challenges to keep us motivated. Nothing too serious, just for fun.

Let me know

Tom

Hello All. I live in Philadelphia. The Northern Liberties neighborhood for those familar with the city.

Bike - I do not have access to a trainer. I ride the stationary at the gym. I also plan to ride my roadbike more through the winter. I've never ridden in the dark before so I'm not sure about that quite yet. For now, I'll use the roadbike on the weekends.

Run - I run both outside and on the treadmill at the gym.

Swim - I currently have no access to a pool. I joined a new gym that has two of those current pools -- whatever they are called? The new gym is under construction and will not open until April 1st. There is also a public pool in my neighborhood but it is only open in July and August. Not having pool access is an issue for me right now. I'm not sure what to do about this.

My "A" Race. I'm registered for the Philly Sprint Tri on June 23rd. It will be my 1st tri. I'd like to do an Olympic later in the summer.
2006-12-28 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Currently

I was thinking it would be fun to know when you are getting close to your "A" race, or any race for that matter. That way you will have your own virtual cheering section on race day and extra support leading up to your race.

Trainer- I have access to one at my boyfriends house, but I live in Dallas, TX. So, I can usually ride outside on the weekends. Otherwise, I try to hit up a spin class at the gym every other week.

Running- I can run outside for the most part. I just need to get tough. Yea, I whine when it's below 60F and I have to run outside. Oh, and I HATE the wind. I'll take treadmill running over wind. I'm fortunate that my office has a gym and I can run outside or use the treadmill at lunch.

Swimming- Right now, it's all pool swimming. When it gets warmer, my tri club doesn OW swims at a lake. Honestly, this is the easiest discipline for me. I can train about 2 times a month in the pool and still come out in the top 3 in my age group, in an OW swim. Not bragging... just stating facts. Unfortunately, tri's are not won or lost in the swim. Everyone then passes me on the bike and run!

A Race- Ah... I don't really do that whole "A" race thing. I just pick out some races that I want to do... and go for it. I'm really casual about this whole thing... and I do it that way, because otherwise this will become a "job" and I'll stop doing it. I want tri's and training to be fun- not a chore. I hope to do my first Olympic distance race in May 2007, but who knows if that will work out.

2006-12-28 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
madcow - 2006-12-27 9:16 PM

Currently

I can ride outside, but do have a Kurt Kinetic trainer.  It's 66 degrees right now, so yes, I can run outside, but do also have access to a treadmill at the gym.  I have indoor and outdoor pool access, and can also do OWS (after the jellies have gone by).  I have given up bit*hing about outdoor training since I live, basically, in paradise.  Snowbirds not withstanding.

"A" Race is St. Anthony's on 4/29.  I have a race schedule up on my blog.

Fun challenges would be fun, but I know that I personally get a little stressed by them.  Guess that's gonna just be part of the 'mental toughness' you'll impart, eh? 

2006-12-28 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Currently

Yes I have a bike trainer, and I rode outside last week for 28 miles but that is a rarity up here in the good ol Northeast.

I can and do run outside. I don't care what the temp is, I'd rather face the winter Worlock than run on a treadmill. I do have a treadmill just in case....we use it for collecting dust and hanging clothes on it mostly. I also have an indoor track that I use for an occasional short run at the YMCA.

Pool.....YMCA. OW swims, Lake... I tried one recently but it was too hard breaking through the ice....LOL

Every race I enter is an A race. If you want to call my 1/2 Ironman my most important A race of the year....then yes that is it. Another big one will be my first OLY TRI in Philly July 24th.
2006-12-28 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Do you have access to a bike trainer or can you ride outside I have a trainer, which I use during the week and when weather won't permit on the weekends.  Most weekends I will ride outside, and once the days get longer, my weekday rides will move mostly outside as well.
Can you run outside or on a treadmill I run outside whenever humanly possible.  When conditions just don't allow it, I have access to a dreadmill, as well as an indoor track when I can't stomach the treadmill.
Can you swim in a pool or OW I use the pool at 24 Hour Fitness regularly.  Mid-May through September, I have access to a large pond for open water swimming.
What is your "A" race for 2007 and what is the date My A race is IM Coeur d'Alene, June 24, 2007!!
2006-12-28 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Keep the info coming guys!

Don't stress over the challenges. It won't be anything major, just setting fun weekly or daily goals that I think we can do. If you have access to a pool but can run outside, then we can sub out runs or rides instead of swimming. Or if you are nursing an injury, switch out a swim instead of run...that kind of thing. The challenges might not even be workout related

As far as the "A" goes, some people refer to them as a race that you build to and peak at. I use it as a race you are excited about. Every year I loved racing at the Lake Arrowhead race. That would be my "A" race even though there were other races that I prepared more for.

2006-12-28 4:24 PM

User image

Tom,

Group looks great!!

I live in NC and depending on weather have access to my bike and to YMCA. 

Same for running and the pool.

I still need to pick my "A" race and will get you one with at date shortly.

All the Best,

Herman

2006-12-29 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

OK group, First challenge...

Since I have been away from work, I haven't had ANY water, so todays' challenge is to drink at least 2 liters of water. I'm sure I'm not alone in my lack of water consumption

2006-12-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: #636570

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
i take it coffee doesn't count? haha. gonna fill my bottles today.
2006-12-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: #636570

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
I appreciate you starting us with an easy one.

I've had 28 ounces so far today. 40 to go...
2006-12-29 1:25 PM
in reply to: #636581

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
ive got two waterbottles so far. dang, 2 liters is alot.
2006-12-29 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Day-am.   Had I known, I would have done a swim this morning.  Laughing

2006-12-29 11:42 PM
in reply to: #636754

User image

Elite
San Diego
I got in my 2 liters. Anybody else?
2006-12-30 2:21 AM
in reply to: #637079

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
yup, and ive been peeing all day. one liter of nalgene at lunch, two 24oz bottles at my desk throughout the day, 1 24oz bottle during workout.
2006-12-30 10:10 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ah... I missed the challenge. Not sure I enjoy peeing that much though.

So, what's this I read about our mentor shooting for a DOUBLE IRONMAN in 2007? Does that mean you have to get TWO tattoos?

2006-12-30 10:24 PM
in reply to: #637079

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
madcow - 2006-12-29 11:42 PM

I got in my 2 liters. Anybody else?

Done!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8