BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2006-12-30 4:23 PM
in reply to: #637251

Subject: RE: Nutrition question
Scotty;
Have you tried working in the morning before work. It is the only thing that works for me. When I get home at night, with all the kids there is too much to do to work out plus my motivation is not there sometimes after a hard day. When I work out in the morning there is nothing to interfere with it. For me,it means gatting up at 4:00 am but i am a morning person.
Will

2006-12-30 8:56 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Nutrition
Here's my .02,

I strive for 3,000-3,200 calories a day and workout 6 days a week 1-3 hours per day. Much like y'all, I use some of the same nutritional strategies.

I eat all day long starting with 2 fig newtons and water before running at 5:45 a.m. before work. I make a 34oz protein shake to drink while driving to work and then it is snack, meal, snack, & another snack (typically a whole wheat mini bagel w/ peanut butter) at 4:45 before leaving work and I'm usually working out by 5:45. Another meal, and before bed, a bowl of cereal w/ milk. Yummy.

I stay with basic "whole" foods; grilled meats, lots of breads, rice, potatoes, pasta, fruit, and some veggies. Rarely any junk food or deep fried. I use Ensure and Boost a lot, along with all the standard energy bars, drinks, and gels. I am blessed with an iron tummy and have yet to find something that hasn't worked.

As mentioned by the others, lots of mini-meals of good stuff all day long is the key.
2006-12-31 7:24 AM

Hingham, MA
Subject: Nutrition
This is ALL great feedback. Thanks! . Also good to hear similar pushes and pulls schedules. I will let you know how it goes. Good thing is we have a well stocked fridge at work with trail mix, fruit, etc. so "planning" should be minimal.

Have a happy and healthy New Year!

Scott
2006-12-31 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
I'm with everyone else. I eat all day long. Normally, I am very good about eating. Ever since holidays and most recently my wife is no bedrest and pregnant so there are alot of temptations in the house. Try to keep as many healthy foods in the house to help with snacking. I cut up veggies early in the week to have as an evening snack vs say ice cream (my biggest weakness) or cookies or pastry of some kind. Just have some will power to resist some foods. I did body fo life it allowed a "cheat" day. I still use the same tactic, if I eat bad on 1 day then I know for the rest of week it is all good. I feel those days are important as well as it helps with any cravings.
2006-12-31 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: It's a New Year...
Wow, tomorrow all our calendars start out full of white squares and it'll be our jobs to fill'em up.

I know I had a good '06 and looking forward to an even better '07. This site and the mentor program will be a big part of any success I have in the coming year.

I have goals; not "resolutions".

With respect to this sport, in '07 I will:

1) Continue with the same consistency
2) Train smarter and with purpose
3) Compete in each race with intense confidence
4) Not neglect personal relationships at the expense of training
5) Always find enjoyment in the whole process

Here's to a good year for all!
2007-01-01 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Happy New Year!

With the start of the 2007 season only a few months away, it's time to think about your goals.  We can list our goals here and also post them in our blogs.  Your blog has space for short term and long term goals.  Setting goals for your season is one of the most important aspects of your training plan.  Your goals should be SMART goals:

1. Specific - the why, when, how, what, etc. of your goal.
  2. Measurable - put a number on your goal so you can measure your progress.
  3. Accountable - your goal must be something that you have control over and are accountable for.
  4. Realistic - your goal must be achievable and within your capabilities (this doesn't mean easy!).
  5. Time-bound - your goal must have a date for completion.

Using this framework, I'll start and list my goals for the 2007 season.  I have three primary goals for 2007:

1. Improve my running pace to 8:30 pace in a 13.1 mile runing race by 6/24/07.  This goal will help me achieve my next goal.
  2. Finish Buffalo Springs 70.3 on 6/24/07 in 5 hours 15 minutes or less.
  3. Finish Redman Triathlon on 9/22/07 in less than 11 hours.

My training plan and workouts will be focused on achieving these goals.  Intermediate or short term goals can also be set to help achieve the longer term, primary goals.

TJ

2007-01-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: #638090

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: It's a New Year...

Jim,

Happy New Year.  You are correct....all zeros....a new year.  And my planned training graph now has a big spike where my 07 plan takes off! 

I'm really looking forward to 07.  Should be a good year.

TJ

2007-01-02 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I'm usually write up my own workout but have looked at a few here as well and they are very detailed. I am still in "off season" but will continue for next 5 weeks, then move into 20 week plan that peaks for my "a" race - buffalo springs. My biggest issue will be when my son is born (some time this month more than likely) as this will mean some days off, which is ok.

goals

1. Injury prevention - for me this is to continue strength training (helps with my hammy),
stretching, core, ART for maintenance, tp massage roller/ball routine.

2. Buffalo Springs - 30-32 min swim, 2:45 - 2:50 bike, 1:45 run max, total time without
transition 5hr to 5:07. overall 5:15.

3. Follow program and listen to my body.

I am really excited about 2007. Last year ITBand issues 2 months before my 1st HIM caused
me to drastically reduce my running before the race and I feel this caused my problems in the run. Usually I am a confident runner, more and more bricks to help with the bike to run transition
2007-01-02 12:38 PM

Happy New Year Everyone:

Out with the old and in with the new.
I achieved my last year's goal of 5000 (5152) bikes mile and 1000 running miles.

Next years Goals:
1) Train smarter: Track everything including nutrition. Train in ZONES. Stick to Training Program.
2) Wieght Control: Get down to 180 lbs. by HIM race day March 31. and maintanance
3) Races and Rides of 07:
Jan:Wells Fargo Stagecoach Century
Feb:Tour de Palm Springs Century
Mar:Solvang Century
Mar: Ford 70.3 HIM
Apr: Paris, FA. Marathon
May: Encinitas Century
Sept: Amtrack Century
Oct: Tour De Poway Century
2007-01-02 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Will,
Those are some SERIOUS miles. Awesome job. That's a ton of hours and you've certainly got my respect.

Obviously, they aren't logged on BT, and I had no idea of the year you've put in.

Do you swim much?
2007-01-02 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
My main goals for 2007 are to complete 1) an olympic distance tri, 2) a half marathon and 3) a century ride.

Sub goals are: 1) to really work on my swim to build endurance and to get a little faster, stronger and more confident, 2) to work on my nutrition and weight and become more toned, and 3) stay dedicated to stretching and lifting weights to get stronger and more flexible.

2007-01-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: #640051

Hi Jim:
I just joined BT at the end of Nov. so my log is short but I tracked every mile on my Palm Treo. I am a little bit of a tech fanatic and have logs in my phone, new watch, computer and BT all have different Pro's and Con's. One of my goals this year is to consolidate into one or two. My phone has a great nutrition program.
I joined BT because I was riding so much with a little running and a little wieght lifting, the only swimming I have done is what you see on the BT log. It is definately my weak sport. I will need some help from everyone with tips and tricks to swimming. For example, when you breath from one side do you rotate your head past middle point/looking down on the opposite stroke? The 20 week BT HIM program has me smimming quite a bit. I regularly do 2800 to 3200 yard swims which is a lot for me. I am not a fast swimmer, just slow and steady. Once I get my endurance up I will work on speed.
Will
2007-01-03 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Swimming
Will,
I will let our mentor (or others) comment on the finer points of swim technique as I am hardly qualified. But,,,

The yardages you mention are very respectable even at a slowish pace. I only started swimming a year ago and could barely make 1 or 2 laps with lots of thrashing. I was 14th out of 15 in my AG during my first OWS in a race and back-stroked half of it, but I finished.

I have stayed after it, swimming 2 times a week is a priority and have improved greatly. I can do 2:00/100's and am confident in OWS now, however sighting and navigation still needs some work.

Concentrate on the basics and perfect your form, that's where the real efficiency is achieved.

BTW, I know what you mean about calendars & logs, I have about 3 myself.
2007-01-03 5:20 PM
in reply to: #640706

Subject: RE: Swimming
Jim:
I have not done a OWS (exect for surfing), I plan to start next month. How much tougher is it than the pool? What is the strategy when you start a tri, do you avoid getting stuck in the middle of the swim.
Will
2007-01-03 8:08 PM

Talk to you all next week I'm driving from New York back to San Diego CA starting tomorrow. Have some great workouts. I will be passing through Texas (Amarillo), sorry but won't be able to stop by.
2007-01-03 8:23 PM
in reply to: #640669

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

wmthacher - 2007-01-03 12:03 PM I will need some help from everyone with tips and tricks to swimming. For example, when you breath from one side do you rotate your head past middle point/looking down on the opposite stroke?

>>>Your head shouldn't really rotate.  It's more of a rotation of your whole body so that your body is at about a 45 degree angle (or more) in the water.  Then a slight movement of your head and you breath.   

The 20 week BT HIM program has me smimming quite a bit. I regularly do 2800 to 3200 yard swims which is a lot for me. I am not a fast swimmer, just slow and steady. Once I get my endurance up I will work on speed. Will

Swimming is so much about technique and form.  I suggest joining a master's swim group.  I swam with a master's group this year.  The master's group really helped me improve my form and my speed.  If you can swim 3200 yards, you are doing very well.  What's your pace like?  Improving speed doesn't come from more power or from a faster arm turnover.  Speed comes from improved technique and form.

2007-01-03 8:39 PM
in reply to: #641314

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Swimming

wmthacher - 2007-01-03 5:20 PM Jim: I have not done a OWS (exect for surfing), I plan to start next month. How much tougher is it than the pool? What is the strategy when you start a tri, do you avoid getting stuck in the middle of the swim. Will

OWS is very different than the pool.  The only way to become better at the OWS is to practice.  Navigation, swimming in a straight line, is key.  I sight about every 10 stokes or so.  Try to find some feet and draft; you can save a huge amount of energy. 

The swim start.  I used to start in the middle trying to 'seed' myself where I thought I needed to be.  This usually meant I was fighting it out with a bunch of other swimmers.  Then, a tri coach suggested this: start in the front and to the side opposite the side you breath on.  If you breath on the left, then start all the way to the right.  I tried this.  It works great in wave starts (not sure I'd try this in a 2000 person mass start).  Starting in front and to the side means you don't have to fight it out with a bunch of other swimmers.  Starting to the side opposite your breathing side means with every breath you can sight off the pack.  breath every 2nd stroke and you just follow the pack.  It works.  Once out of the start (about 200 meters) then you'll sight as normal and find some feet.

Another strategy is to just start all the way in the back.  Then you don't have to fight the crowds and really you'll only loose a couple minutes of time. 

2007-01-03 8:40 PM
in reply to: #641428

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Have a nice trip and drive safe.
2007-01-03 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Tommy's got some good tips about the swim start. Everyone has their own little tricks.

I still start somewhat in the back, but I have gotten good enough to be mixing it up a bit with the other swimmers. Not to freak you out, but expect to get bumped around, hit, and even kicked. It happens to everybody. Sometimes it's even worse at the BOP because of people breast stroking and back stroking, slinging arms and legs all over the place. Swimmers with good form are not pulling up the rear.

I have learned to sight by raising my head slightly out of the water about every third breath stroke and catching a QUICK glimpse of a buoy or landmark to navigate by. When you do your pre-race recon of the swim course, look for houses, trees, etc. on the shore to help guide you. Study these and remember them.

Michelob Ultra was a sponsor at my last sprint tri. They had set up a 20 foot tall silver inflatable Ultra beer bottle on the shore we were swimming towards. It was an awesome target to sight on.

In my first couple of OWS, I would come to a stop, tread water and look around to sight. Stopping and getting started again is a horribly inefficient practice.

Gotta be careful with the breathe and glimpse manuever. If you get the timing wrong, you get a mouth full of water. Practice at the pool first.

OWS is easy to talk about, but harder to do. It's just one of those things you have to experience for yourself in practice and during race conditions. You WILL get better at it.
2007-01-05 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
I have done some thinking on cap tex - oly distance. I want to add this to my goals, I feel everything goes as planned I could possibly do this. I am having alot better off season that included weights and my issues w/ hammy, itband are alot better. So, here it goes

25:00 swim (i swam 25:10 last year at this race)
1:06 bike (just under 23 mph)
46:30 run (7:30 avg)

total of 2:22:30

---
bike and run would be biggest jump, but I feel so much better and have a better understanding of training going into this year
2007-01-06 3:21 PM
in reply to: #643125

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jamie,

I wanted to do CapTex, but our 20th wedding anniversary is the next weekend and we are going out of town.  So, I think it's best if I don't go to Austin.  I did CapTex last year and loved that race.  I had a my best swim ever there. 

That's an agressive goal time.  But looking at your logs and your run pace, you should be able achieve a 2:22:00

I've got to improve my run speed this year.

TJ

2007-01-08 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Marathon race nutrition
Tommy,

What was your nutrition plan for your recent Marathon?

The Houston Marathon is a big-time race, but I'm not too sure what they'll have available at the aid stations beyond the standard water and Gatorade.

I have a pretty simple plan in mind for myself, regardless what's available. Just curious what you did or didn't do, and maybe would do differently in a future race.
2007-01-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: #645866

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Marathon race nutrition

Jim,

I'm a breakfast eater.  So, about 3 hours before the race I eat a 500 - 600 calorie breakfast - oatmeal pancakes, milk, Ensure, OJ.  For a HIM or IM I bump that up to 700- 1000 calories.

During the run I relied on Gatorade Endurance (GE) and Hammer Gel.  I train with GE  and GU during my runs.  The Whiterock Marathon had GE and Hammer Gel at the aid stations (along with pretzels, oranges, etc.).  I took a chance that Hammer Gel would sit well with my stomach.  It did.  I had GE at ever other aid station and Hammer Gel every 45 minutes or so with plain water (no GE with the gel).  Pretty simple.  This probably gave me about 150 - 200 calories per hour. 

I would expect that Houston will have well stocked aid stations.  Have you checked the website?  Sometimes the aid station supplies are listed. 

2007-01-08 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Checked previously. Per their website, just water & G'ade available. A bit skimpy for $95, I'm thinking.

They might announce something more during the pre-race/ Expo, but I'm going to have my plan ready to go either way.

BTW, I was planning on 200-300 cals per hour, just like any other long endurance activity.

Thanks.
2007-01-08 7:47 PM

Hi Everyone:
I back from sprint across American 2 1/2 day of driving. All good except your boys in Texas got me for speeding.

I missed my normal big weekend ride and I have my 1st century of the year this Saturday. What do you think my training schedule should be for this week?. I did 42 bike miles this morning and I was thinking of doing a 15 mile run Tues., and another 42 mile bike on Wed, something lite (Swim 2800 yards) on Thurs, rest Fri. I need to keep on the tri training.
Will
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10