Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: #635206

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: drewb8's group - FULL
Zach has a good point - Its also good to recognize your RPE (rate of perceived exertion). Its actually a really good idea to listen to your body. After a while you will get a feel for how hard it feels to work at a particular heart rate or pace so if one day for example you feel like you are working harder than usual at the same heart rate or pace it might mean that you need an extra day of rest.

RPE is also useful if you don't have a heart rate monitor but want to make sure your effort is in the proper area. I found this chart on this website:

RPE/HR Zone Chart

Z1 - Zone 1 or Recovery
Z2 - Zone 2 or Extensive endurance
Z3 - Zone 3 or Intensive endurance/muscular endurance
Z4 - Zone 4 or Sub-threshold
Z5a - Zone 5a or Threshold
Z5b- Zone 5b or Super-threshold
Z5c- Zone 5b or VO2 Max

RPE Zone HR Zone Description
0 Z1 Complete Rest
1 Z1 Very easy; light walking
2 Z1 Very easy; light walking
3 Z1 Very easy; walking
4 Z1 Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
5 Z2 Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
6 Z2 Upper Working but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
7 Z3 Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
8 Z4 Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
9 Z5 10k effort – very hard
10 Z5+ Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort)

Almost all of your training right now should be in zone 1-2.

2007-01-10 8:27 AM

Appleton, Wisconsin

Last night when I was RUNNING (first time officially) I realized I don't know proper form. I felt a little like Phoebe in that 'Friends' episode when she and Rachel go running (flailing) through Central Park. Lucky for me, it was late, so there were just a few witnesses.

Does anyone have any technique advice? My shins started to hurt almost immediately, but I think that might have been because I tend to lean too far forward. Or because I'm not used to running.. any ideas?
2007-01-10 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Its funny, I had kind of the same realization as your when I started running. You've been running since you were three but you find out you don't really know what you are doing. I found that two of the more popular running techniques are called the Pose method and ChiRunning. The techniques are very similar though. Basically it comes down to this;

Let gravity do your work for you, or in other words, let it pull you forward, almost as if you are falling forward. You do this by leaning your body forward. When you are running slowly your body should be nearly straight up and down, and as your speed increases your forward lean increases too. But there is a catch - you body stays in alignment. What you want to do is imagine a steel rod starting at your feet, going up your back and thru your head. You want keep your body in alignment with this rod. So how do you lean forward then? At the ankles. When you look at a fast marathoner you will see that they are leaning forward at the ankles (NOT bending at the waist) and that their feet are landing almost exactly under them, not out in front (If you are hitting heel first out in front you are not only hitting the brakes every time you take a step but you are also increasing your risk of injury). If you are running on your toes you are losing some of your energy to bouncing and vertical movement so I try to land my foot right about the middle. They are also taking fairly small steps, but their cadence is high so they are taking more of them.

I tried to find some articles that can explain this better than I can. Hope this helps.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

As for the shin pain, there are alot of possible sources for this so its really hard to say. On your next run I would try to focus on making sure your feet land underneath your body, not out in front and that you are keeping your body in alignment. Also, don't be afraid to take it slow. It might even feel like you aren't going much faster then a fast walk. One last thing, if the pain persists after another run or two, don't try to run thru it. It may be a matter of just acclimating your body to running ni which case you might try to break up your planned run - for example, instead of running 3 minutes straight, run 1 minute, then walk for 3, then run another minute, etc. If you are still having pain then, then you would start to look for other causes but hopefully it won't get that far. Hope all this helps. Happy running!
2007-01-11 1:51 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Hey everyone, I just wanted to update you all on my progress thus far.

Diet; I've been a very good girl regarding my diet. I am eating constantly throughout the day, all nice healthy, protein filled stuff. I have to eat all the time cuz I'm hypoglycemic but also hopefully it will boost my metabolism. Oh, and I dropped 3-4 lbs within past week and half already. My goal wieght is 140. I look anorexic when I go much below that, so 140 it is.

Smoking; I just got my prescription today. It's gonna be $$$ to fill my script, but hey, it's worth it. So hopefully within the next week I will take the plunge and rid myself of that bad habit.

Running; I've been training at the local track 3 times a week. I do a 10 min warm up, 4 x 400 30 sec rest between, 1 min rest, the 4 x 400 30 sec rest between, 10 min cooldown. I focused last night on keeping my cadence up, and I also used Drews recomended tecnique of leaning forward and staying OFF of my heels. I dropped 10 seconds off each 400 and was able to maintain it at 2:20 at 80% speed. It felt GREAT!!!! I did hate running, but I really am starting to dig it. Next step is to get fitted for a good shoe at a dedicated running store.

Biking; My friend is fixing me up his old Bianchi within the next week or two. I'm going to get some nice tires, toe cages, and spruce up the handle bar. Another friend bought me a helmet for my b-day, so I'm pretty excited to finally get out on the road and start fighting silly drivers for the right of way.

Swimming; I know what pool I'm going to use, it's just a matter of starting up my membership again which is going to cost me. So as soon as I have the extra $$, I'm there. Swimming is like second nature to me, so getting going shouldn't be difficult. I'm going to focus on my breathing once I start training again and possibly having some friends simulate race conditions for me by bumping me and things like that.

So, anyways, thats where I am. I hope evryone else is doing good with their training. Have a great day all!
2007-01-11 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Holy moly, that is awesome!

You beat me to it - I wanted to check in on everyone and see how you guys are coming as far as getting into a routine. I really think that is the most important thing when you are just getting going. I know between family, work, friends, etc. it can be hard sometimes to squeeze training in there as well.

As for me, I am finally back into the routine and finally starting to feel comfortable in the pool again. I have a long bike ride planned for saturday indoors since it's supposed to be a high of about 5* here.

So I thought a good idea would be for eveyone to chime in with what their goals for next week are going to be. It could be something very general such as just getting out there and running 3x or not missing a swim or it could be more specific such as work on my run cadence or bike for 3 hours.

To start it out my goals for next week are to work on my balance and head position swimming and my forward lean (not too much, not too little) when running.
2007-01-12 8:47 AM

Appleton, Wisconsin

So far, I've stayed on schedule for my program.. if I ever don't run/walk on Tues/Thurs/Sun, you'll all know I'm slacking. Saturday (tomorrow) I'm meeting with a trainer to set up a lifting schedule, so I hope to start that next week. This is what I'm envisioning for my schedule for everything else..

Monday- Bike/Swim
Tuesday- Run-Walk/Lift
Wednesday - Bike/Swim/Kickboxing
Thursday - Run-Walk/Lift
Friday - Bike/Swim
Saturday - off
Sunday - Run-Walk/Lift

I don't know my times for biking and swimming, so I just hope to have a steady increase in the amount of time I dedicate to each.

My eating habits have improved a fair amount. I'm only averaging around 1500 calories/day which is lower than what I'm aiming for, but I can't figure out where my deficiency is.. I feel like I eat all the time now that I'm eating breakfast.. I've almost broken my Coke habit, which is good. That needed to go!

Good luck everyone with staying on schedule next week!

Edited by greys34 2007-01-12 8:49 AM

2007-01-12 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
I plan on swimming 3 1000 yd days...
I may have to bundle up to do it (not supposed to be above freezing 'til this time next week) but I want to run 8 miles. Not all at once, silly. Probably 3-2-3. Hopefully the wind isn't blowing like it has been, 40 mph gusts at times.
I don't know about the bike. I don't have much in the way of bike specific warm clothes and no studded tires. Looking into my crystal ball, I envision a spin class...
2007-01-12 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Oh and something I meant to post awhile ago: Somebody was talking about cadence, if you use iTunes for your mp3s, there is a program called Tangerine that is a free download that will analyze your library and sort the songs according to BPM. So you can set up playlists of any length composed of BPMs of say 45, 90, 135, and 180 and as long as you can sorta keep time with your feet, you're in business. It also has this metronome interface where you can tap to the beat, because sometimes the BPM can be a little off but it will set it to whatever you tap. Although this requires rhythm...

However, I noticed early on that if I focused TOO much on cadence, my HR got out of wack. I kinda put it on the back burner for awhile, as my natural cadence is pretty quick. When you have short legs, you gotta move 'em faster...

2007-01-12 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Thats really cool. I'll have to have a look to see if theer is something similar for those of us who don't use Itunes. I know of a coach who came across a little device that would just make a beeping noise at whatever cadence you et it to. He advocated it for his athletes to use it as a way up making sure their cadence didn't drop and was constant. One note - if you are having trouble keeping your HR down while at a higher cadence you may need to shorten your stride. Remember, if you staying at the same stride length but taking more steps you are actually increasing your pace which should not be your focus this time of year. To compensate for the increased number of steps you shorten your stride. It may even feel like baby steps but its more efficient, and for a triathlete, that's the name of the game.

So how about Amanda & the Jeffs? Plans for the weekend? Goals for next week? Hopefully the weather isn't wreaking havoc with you guys too.
2007-01-13 5:46 PM
in reply to: #653018

Veteran
Philadelphia
drewb8 - 2007-01-12 5:30 PM
So how about Amanda & the Jeffs? Plans for the weekend? Goals for next week? Hopefully the weather isn't wreaking havoc with you guys too.

Plans for the weekend unfortunatly don't involve alot of training, more celebrating my birthday stuff.

I did however get to the track and run a mile last night. My ankle started to KILL me, haven't quite figured out what the problem is though. Today I did what I would call cardio bowling. I actually was bowling in 2 lanes at once and broke a serious sweat doing it, lol. Tomorrow I'm going to start swimming at my friends pool, nice and light to start my swimming routine.

Goals for this week are just to maintain my diet, get 2 days of running in and 3 days of swimming.
2007-01-13 9:27 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Goals for next week.....increase my mileage for both the run and bike. This is going to be hard since it's going to be below freezing for the entire week so I'll have to run on the treadmill, which I hate. Also, want to finish my Total Immersion book so I can start back into the pool after my week of skiing, which is only a week away.

2007-01-13 9:55 PM
in reply to: #653834

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Something I did Jeff, if you don't have the videos, was look on the TI website, www.totalimmersion.net, at the demo videos. I had the book but no real idea about what the whole stroke or even some of the drills looked like. Reading about, then seeing what I wanted to emulate helped a lot. I also had my wife tape a lap or 2 for some feedback.

I got out in the mix today, but we had more sleet fall this morning so there was more traction than I thought there'd be.
2007-01-15 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Drew how much of a jump was oly to HIM for you?

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse, but...

I want to do an oly this June, but there is a HIM in late Sept. that is calling my name. It is "only" another 430m swim, and a run distance I should have in spades by then having built up to a half-mary in April. The bike of course would be the biggest jump, a little more than doubling. "Riding lots" would solve that!

[insert loaded question] Am I being too ambitious for my first season?
2007-01-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #655839

User image

Master
Denver
Mr. Freeze - 2007-01-15 9:04 PM

Drew how much of a jump was oly to HIM for you?

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse, but...

I want to do an oly this June, but there is a HIM in late Sept. that is calling my name. It is "only" another 430m swim, and a run distance I should have in spades by then having built up to a half-mary in April. The bike of course would be the biggest jump, a little more than doubling. "Riding lots" would solve that!

[insert loaded question] Am I being too ambitious for my first season?

Hmmm... Well here's my story. My first season I trained for a sprint and did that in June, then I thought about trying an Oly later in the season but thought it was a little out of my range & I slacked for the rest of the year. The next year I decided to do a series sprint-oly-HIM. I started in January following the HIM plan from the start with my season goal basically being just to survive the HIM so for me it wasn't so much of a jump from oly as a build up.

I would say if you started now with your goal being just to finish the HIM in Sept. it is doable. You just have to realize that A HIM is a much bigger commitment. A lot of things that aren't as important for the shorter distances such as nutrition and pacing become very important in a HIM. YOu can also count on having a long ride and maybe a long run too every weekend from now on. Like you said, 'ride lots'. One option would be to start on a HIM plan but wait to see how the first sprint goes to register. It is one thing to train for the sports but another thing to do them all in a row, ubt if you think you are willing and able to stick to a training plan, then I'd say go for it!
2007-01-16 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Hey folks! Hpoe everyone had a good weekend and that you had some temperatures above 0.

I know a few of you are following your own training plans, so I thought I would throw some basic info out about training volumes. It might seem obvious, but the whole purpose of all the running and biking and swimming you do is so that you can do it for longer and longer, and then later, faster. If you are coaching yourself it's important to pay attention to the volume of your training - you want to increase the distance you are able to go, but you don't want to do it in a way that puts such a strain on your body that its counterproductive or even puts you at risk for getting injured.

I know I've harped on this before, but a general rule of thumb is to not increase your total weekly volume by more than 10% per week. If you are following a pre-made training plan such as the ones on this site you don't have to worry about it too much because it is already built into them, but if you are making your own way, it is worth paying attention to. It allows you to increase you volumes but also makes sure you body is able to adapt. Another point to note is that your running and biking volumes should be based on time rather than distance. Everyones pace varies due to different things, such as lingering fatigue, what you ate, how you slept, etc. so by training according to time you make sure you aren't pushing over the 10% mark and risking injury. One final thing you'll find with almost every plan out there - they almost all follow the formula of three weeks of gradually building volume and then the 4th week is a rest week where you return to the volume of the 1st week. Remember that rest is just as, or more important than the actual training. This is the time where your body repairs itself and stregthens itself from the training you just did, and its also crucial for keeping you sane and keeping you from getting burned out.

Happy training.
2007-01-16 4:47 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
I had another terrible treadmill run. I hate the treadmill. From now on I'm going to run outside no matter what the weather. Any thoughts.

2007-01-16 4:51 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Another question Drew. How much training should I do while I am Keystone next week. I would like to get out and run (if I can after a day of skiing) but am not sure of the distance or pace since I'll be at altitude. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm starting to dread the five miler I have scheduled for the first part of February.
2007-01-16 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Yeah, I hate the dreadmill too. I've only ever run on it twice, it takes some bad weather for that to happen. If you can run outside I say go for it. The main challenge I think is just finding a place to do it. This winter I got a pair of trail running shoes just for running in the snow (when it's packed down that is). If you have an extra pair of shoes check this out: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm. As far as clothing goes you need far less than you think. You'll be cold before you start but once you get going you warm up quickly. On monday I ran outside - it was sunny but about 15*F - I ran in a long sleeve synthetic shirt, a lightweight fleece top, & sweatpants with a hat & gloves & was warm enough to sweat.

As far as running after skiing - its a good workout in itself although it is different motions and muscles from running. If you feel up to running afterwards then great. If you just feel like sitting in the hot tub don't feel guilty. If you do go running I would take it very easy and don't try to push yourself. Treat it as an easy maintenance run rather one where you try to build fitness.
If you want to try something different an alternative would be to go dogsledding one day instead of skiing. If you are like me you figure you just stand on the sled and the dogs pull you around but its not like that. The dogs expect you to help, especially on the uphills so if you don't, they'll turn around and give you a look. You end up getting a pretty good workout, it's lots of fun and not something everyone can say they've done. There is a place called Tiger Run which is only 15-20 minutes away on the road towards Breck wher you can do it. Have fun up there!

Edited by drewb8 2007-01-16 9:11 PM
2007-01-18 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Great job everyone! Looks like you are all staying pretty consistant despite some hectic schedules and even some stitches. How is everyone doing with their goals for this week? Do you think it helped to set some or did it not make any difference?

Also I want to encourage you all again to check each others logs and leave inspires there, after all, we're all in this together.
2007-01-18 1:06 PM

Appleton, Wisconsin
Personally, having posted my goals for this week is the only thing that kept me in the pool Wednesday.. I didn't want to go off my scheduled routine/make up a swim/etc... It works for me to have this group if for nothing else, to at least hold me accountable. I didn't very well want to post that I sucked water up my nose and quit after 2 minutes!
2007-01-18 5:36 PM
in reply to: #659166

New user

Drew, I think I am doing okay...I haven't made any specific short term goals other than to swim, run, bike, and lift twice a week...something I have noticed is that my RHR has actually gone up a little (from 48 to 59). I am going to continue to monitor it and see if it starts to correct (go back down). Also I have noticed that I can more easily tolerate a higher HR during endurance exercise (bike/run). A couple of weeks ago 150 seemed really hard...now for short times I am pushing into the high 160s...anyway, I am doing fine and back swimming...thanks for the support...jeffd

2007-01-19 7:39 AM

Veteran
Philadelphia
This week has been ok thus far. I've only been able to get out running once and swimming once due to a nasty head cold. It was my first time back in the pool and it was fantastic! I really could swim around for hours! I did about 15 min LSD(long slow distance) and 15 min sprints at 85%. I did my usual routine for running(warmup, 4 x 400, 4 x 400, cool down) I was able to bring my 400's down 2 seconds, go me!

So far, my main problem is convincing myself that I'm not 18 anymore and my body needs rest as much as it needs to be active. I think when I'm running I am pushing a little too hard. The other day I got pretty sick to my stomach after my run. And someone has to literally tell me I need to take a day off, otherwise I want to go out. I know it sounds silly, but I am really enjoying being active again and I want to be in shape and I want it to happen now. So being able to just chill and relax has been my hardest task yet
2007-01-19 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
I got my 3000 swimming yards in. Next week I hope to get 33-3400. Today I got pulled along by a guy that was very obviously a triathlete: Who else worries about SPL at all, much less in JANUARY!?!?! He was just smoking along. You know how when a semi passes you and you feel that sideways blast as they first do it and then the vacuum as they blow by??

I also guilted my wife into coming to a spin class with me next week. I got us tickets to Aruba for our anniversary in May; I know she will want to be in bikini shape, but it's all a surprise so I can't really tip her off yet. Which is kinda making me look a little mean right now I'm sure! Plus I want to take a dive class together that has a swim requirement, so I'm trying hard to drag her to the pool!

I hope to do about 10 mi worth of ground-pounding, although it may be in 8" of snow...

But right now, I gotta go fix the roof leak I noticed before today's swim!
2007-01-22 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Hey everyone, hope you had a good weekend. We had more snow here but it's supposed to warm up this week so hopefully we'll see the ground again one of these days. I got in some skiing and a long bike over the weekend - I'm looking forward to getting thru this week since the next one is a rest week. How're you all doing?
2007-01-22 1:50 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Well, I've had a bit of a set-back/bummer. I've been battling a VERY nasty cold since last Thursday. It's finally starting to let up today, at least enough so that I can get in a good swim tonight. I was only able to get 1 run and 1 swim in last week, so I'm looking forward to picking up the speed this week again.

Since I wasn't able to train, I decided to get some other things done. I picked up a pair of dedicated running shoes. This is the first pair of good running shoes I've ever owned. They fit nice and I'm hoping they will help alleviate some pains I've been having in my legs. Also, I got my gym membership renewed. So watch out, here I come. I also started taking my quit smoking pill. My last day to smoke is next monday. So here's to quitting. Oh, and finally....I registered for the Philadelphia Insurance Sprint Triathlon!!!! I got so excited when I did it. It definetly amped up my excitement.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » drewb8's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6