BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-12 12:42 AM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Open
I'd like to join your group, if that's ok. I'll have to post more info tomorrow, though. I wanted to put my name in before I logged off--I need to get to bed now--it's almost midnight here, and I've been up since 5 AM.

2007-12-12 5:11 AM
in reply to: #1096891

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

givemashot - 2007-12-12 12:42 AM I'd like to join your group, if that's ok. I'll have to post more info tomorrow, though. I wanted to put my name in before I logged off--I need to get to bed now--it's almost midnight here, and I've been up since 5 AM.

Morning Amy!  Good to have you back with the 'nibbins.  Welcome back!

2007-12-12 5:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey all,

Its going to be great training with you all!

Per Mila's request, Hey Sparco . . Today's high is supposed to be about 80, but will cool off perfect for that early evening run.

That race they opened in AZ for November sold out Monday, but I do like the idea of volunteering for IMFL this year so I can get entered for 2009!

Well, gotta head to work, talk to you all later.

Corey

2007-12-12 5:48 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congrats, all of you - you picked an excellent mentor group...

Sal & Mila are some of the best folks around! Learn lots - they know lots. And have fun, but that goes without sayin'.

2007-12-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #1096533

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

HammerOZZ - 2007-12-11 9:55 PM Hello! My name is Andy. I'm a 34 yr old "clydesdale" (6' 7" - 233#) living in northeast WI.  I'm new to the sport and could use some mentors! I started running in May of last year to help improve my fitness level (I love to play basketball) and to help with weight loss. I competed in a 5K and 10K last summer. Both were great experiences! Then a friend of mine from high school turned me on to this website. Using BTs training log has really helped keep me motivated and made me want to learn more about running, biking and swimming. That's where I'm hoping a good mentor or two can help me out. I got a bike at the end of the summer but really did nothing with it. In October, I added swimming to my workout routine but I don't have a workout program. Next year I'd like to compete in several runs including a half marathon and yes, maybe my first tri event.

Andy...

Welcome to BT, multisport and our group.  Congratulations on taking the first steps towards tri-ing.  I went ahead and fixed your post.  You WILL be able to do your first tri by next season!  We can help you with training plans and even help you choose a race.

The BT logs are a great tool and I'm glad you've already figured that out!

Do you have a trainer for your bike?  Since you live where the winter weather isn't ideal for biking (unlike Corey and me ), I would recommend using a trainer this winter.  It will allow you time in the saddle and you will be able to get used to gearing your bike. 

2007-12-12 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1096891

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

givemashot - 2007-12-12 1:42 AM I'd like to join your group, if that's ok. I'll have to post more info tomorrow, though. I wanted to put my name in before I logged off--I need to get to bed now--it's almost midnight here, and I've been up since 5 AM.

Yikes!  It sounds like you keep my kind of hours, Amy , although one of my new goals is to actually get to bed "early" during the week.  Of course early is a relative term...

2007-12-12 6:19 AM
in reply to: #1096958

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

enders_shadow - 2007-12-12 6:48 AM Congrats, all of you - you picked an excellent mentor group... Sal & Mila are some of the best folks around! Learn lots - they know lots. And have fun, but that goes without sayin'.

Thanks, Kristen.  I'll pay you later .

2007-12-12 6:32 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Just a couple of helpful hints...

If anyone is not yet using the training log feature, I really encourage you all to do so.  Not only can you keep track of your progress but also it will help Sal and me help you when you have questions by looking at your daily training.  As a side note, for me, at least, it helps with accountability.  Plus, we will want to keep you inspired and motivated with the "inspire me" feature.

Also, especially for people who are new to tris, you will notice that there is a lot of "lingo" that floats around.  You will find a glossary of tri terms here.

2007-12-12 9:00 AM

Veteran
Las Vegas

Greetings all if there still room i would loved to be apart of this group. so without further a do here's my info.

Name: pilotncommand172/ JC 

Story: I got into triathlons after sitting on the couch watching the 2005 Ironman world championships.  I though to myself i could do that being that i swam in High School and always enjoy cycling, and if i ran it would come along. That year Santa got me a road bike and I began training. In 2006 i complete in two sprints and was hooked. Last season I took a leave of absence from the sport and training. to established my career in the US Air Force. now that I career is solid. It's time to get back in shape, so that brings me here.

Family Status: Single and loving it

Current training: I just starting using the olympic 2x 20 week plan with hope of completing a olympic tri this year.

2008 race schedule: only one confirmed race as of now jan 6 GTF Super sprint Tri. looking to do the majority of the Guam Triathlon Federation Races this year. as well as more Road Races. 

What i hope to get out of being apart of the group? Currently I'm working 12 hour days 4 days a week. So when i get off shift a lot of times I talked myself out of going to the gym or getting on the bike, or lacing up my running shoes. I hoping with people making me accountable and razzing me when i don't make my workouts. I'll be able to once again establish a solid training plan, but most importantly meeting some awesome people.

2007-12-12 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Kentucky

If there is still room I would like to jump in.

I am 44 years old and had no background in sports (unless Corn Hole is a sport) or fitness. I quit smoking after turning 40 and decided to join a gym to try to undo the damage I had done to myself from years of nicotine and 1/2 price appetizers and happy hours.  I signed up for an indoor Tri at the Y last year and ran in a few Sprint races after that.  I was a mid/back of packer but finished with no problem.

Running and swimming are a struggle for me. I find it boring therefore I don't practice them much.  I really enjoy the bike expecially long distance rides. My longest ride this year was 160 miles. The weather here pretty much dictates I hang the bike up in November giving me a few months to concentrate on the other sports.

I am real interested in learning how to improve my running via the use of HR monitor, and would like to build up to HIM distances.

2007-12-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1097173

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-12 9:00 AM

Greetings all if there still room i would loved to be apart of this group. so without further a do here's my info.

Story: I got into triathlons after sitting on the couch watching the 2005 Ironman world championships.  I though to myself i could do that being that i swam in High School and always enjoy cycling, and if i ran it would come along. That year Santa got me a road bike and I began training. In 2006 i complete in two sprints and was hooked. Last season I took a leave of absence from the sport and training. to established my career in the US Air Force. now that I career is solid. It's time to get back in shape, so that brings me here.

Current training: I just starting using the olympic 2x 20 week plan with hope of completing a olympic tri this year.

2008 race schedule: only one confirmed race as of now jan 6 GTF Super sprint Tri. looking to do the majority of the Guam Triathlon Federation Races this year. as well as more Road Races. 

What i hope to get out of being apart of the group? Currently I'm working 12 hour days 4 days a week. So when i get off shift a lot of times I talked myself out of going to the gym or getting on the bike, or lacing up my running shoes. I hoping with people making me accountable and razzing me when i don't make my workouts. I'll be able to once again establish a solid training plan, but most importantly meeting some awesome people.

Welcome JC!  Thanks for serving to protect our freedoms.  I know my family and I appreciate all those that serve in the military, especially during this time of the year.  Sounds like you've got some great triathlon experience under your belt.  We've got a lot of strong swimmers in this group (ME not included ).

We all seem to have busy schedules.  Mila has 3 kids and teaches several spin classes.  I have 3 kids as well and sometimes work gets in the way of BT .  We all seem to get the training in.  Good luck this off-season.  We'll try to encourage you to get your workouts in, which shouldn't be too hard to do in GUAM!  Welcome!

I'm in meetings the rest of the day, so Mila, I'm handing you the baton .

2007-12-12 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
oh billy! can i get in on this and force you guys to talk to me?
2007-12-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1097540

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Noz - 2007-12-12 12:21 PM oh billy! can i get in on this and force you guys to talk to me?

Only if you bring tiny plaid ninjas with you. 

Where's your bio?  Be sure to include "swim stud" on it.

2007-12-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1097173

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-12 10:00 AM

Welcome, JC.  You have come to the right place for people harrassing you, bossing you around and making you train encouragement and accountability.  Sounds like you have a solid base of training and experience.  Congratulations on achieving your career goals.

2007-12-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1097226

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

crouse - 2007-12-12 10:17 AM

If there is still room I would like to jump in.

I am 44 years old and had no background in sports (unless Corn Hole is a sport) or fitness. I quit smoking after turning 40 and decided to join a gym to try to undo the damage I had done to myself from years of nicotine and 1/2 price appetizers and happy hours.  I signed up for an indoor Tri at the Y last year and ran in a few Sprint races after that.  I was a mid/back of packer but finished with no problem.

Running and swimming are a struggle for me. I find it boring therefore I don't practice them much.  I really enjoy the bike expecially long distance rides. My longest ride this year was 160 miles. The weather here pretty much dictates I hang the bike up in November giving me a few months to concentrate on the other sports.

I am real interested in learning how to improve my running via the use of HR monitor, and would like to build up to HIM distances.

Hi Craig! 

Yup, we still have room.  Since there are two of us, we figured we could have a larger group.

First, big props for quitting smoking and congratulations for making an overall lifestyle change. 

I totally understand where you're coming from... I love my (pretty) bike and swimming and running I, ummm... love less .  You will get great support here and, as luck would have it, we have a couple of amazing swimmers in this group already (redlv swims farther than I usually run, and Noz swims a hundy faster than I can sneeze) and I think there will be plenty of running advice forthcoming from Mr. Marathon and the other running gurus we have around here.

As far as the HR stuff goes, we'll get you hooked up with that.  I figured once we close the group we can get into some discussion about where everyone is with this and get some questions answered.

2007-12-12 1:15 PM

User image

Near Pittsburgh PA
Hi. I'd like to join your group. Here's my story:

I am 44 years old and I live near Pittsburgh PA. I am 6'2" and weigh about 216#.

I am married to an awesome lady and we have 3 kids, ('step' to me but they are mine!)
I am a Logistics Coordinator for a mining equipment company and I am in the process of getting my MBA. (time is an issue but it will not hinder me).

I have been into some kind of fitness my whole life. I even ran a few 5 and 10k races in the 90's but I am not really into running. I only did it to stay in shape.

The race I have planned is a sprint length race Memorial day weekend in Lebanon PA (Mt Gretna Tri).

I had successful surgery on my neck in August of this year. This is the main reason I decided to give triathlons a go. It has always been a dream of mine since I watched the Hawaii IM on the tube as a kid year after year. I can't hit the weights like I used to so now is the perfect time to accomplish this goal and get/stay in great shape.

The reason the Mentor program is so appealing is that I have no one to ask for advise. This website has been a huge help but I am so green I don't even know which questions to ask. I bought the Triathlon bible and I am online daily but I am getting a lot of conflicting information. I am very comfortable on the bike and the run should not be an issue. The swim is another matter. I am comfortable in the water. I am a certified scuba diver and I have been water skiing and barefoot skiing since I was very young. I just never learned how to swim effectively and efficiently. I have had 2 lessons and they helped. I joined a wellness center near me that has a pool but I am struggling with my stroke and wind.

Sorry for being so long winded. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone. Let me know the next steps.
Thanks!!

Jeff/scarface

2007-12-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1097770

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
milaminute - 2007-12-12 12:50 PM

Noz - 2007-12-12 12:21 PM oh billy! can i get in on this and force you guys to talk to me?

i'll have to submit it later.  until then.....

2007-12-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1097828

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

scarface - 2007-12-12 2:15 PM Hi. I'd like to join your group. Here's my story: I am 44 years old and I live near Pittsburgh PA. I am 6'2" and weigh about 216#. I am married to an awesome lady and we have 3 kids, ('step' to me but they are mine!) I am a Logistics Coordinator for a mining equipment company and I am in the process of getting my MBA. (time is an issue but it will not hinder me). I have been into some kind of fitness my whole life. I even ran a few 5 and 10k races in the 90's but I am not really into running. I only did it to stay in shape. The race I have planned is a sprint length race Memorial day weekend in Lebanon PA (Mt Gretna Tri). I had successful surgery on my neck in August of this year. This is the main reason I decided to give triathlons a go. It has always been a dream of mine since I watched the Hawaii IM on the tube as a kid year after year. I can't hit the weights like I used to so now is the perfect time to accomplish this goal and get/stay in great shape. The reason the Mentor program is so appealing is that I have no one to ask for advise. This website has been a huge help but I am so green I don't even know which questions to ask. I bought the Triathlon bible and I am online daily but I am getting a lot of conflicting information. I am very comfortable on the bike and the run should not be an issue. The swim is another matter. I am comfortable in the water. I am a certified scuba diver and I have been water skiing and barefoot skiing since I was very young. I just never learned how to swim effectively and efficiently. I have had 2 lessons and they helped. I joined a wellness center near me that has a pool but I am struggling with my stroke and wind. Sorry for being so long winded. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone. Let me know the next steps. Thanks!! Jeff/scarface

Welcome, Jeff! 

You have plenty of time to train for that tri.  We do, however, give you fair warning that it will be addictive and we can't be held accountaible for your addiction , but we're happy to help you reach your goals.  BT is an AWESOME resource... and, frankly, an even better community.

Where the heck was I as a kid?  I never saw anything like a triathlon on t.v.  I seriously never knew what Kona was until I started tri-ing... but boy did I know what Kona was this year (one of my good friends, who also happens to be a BT'er, overcame some unbelievable odds to make it to and finish at Kona).

Good on ya for taking the swimming lessons.  That is a huge help.  It's also really helpful that you already feel very comfortable in open water (right, Sal?!).

No next steps other than to hang out here, ask questions, keep us updated on your training, life in general, whatever .

2007-12-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1097849

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Noz - 2007-12-12 2:25 PM
milaminute - 2007-12-12 12:50 PM

i'll have to submit it later.  until then.....

You're such a giver.

Edited because I messed up and put my response in your quotes and I am too compulsive for that nonsense .

Edited by milaminute 2007-12-12 1:33 PM
2007-12-12 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

So what's on tap for everyone training-wise today (how about THAT, Sal... see, I'm more than just bike porn and cheesecake)???

I put in an hour on the bike and a 20 minute run... and that reminds me that I didn't log it.  Oops... I'm on it!

2007-12-12 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I would like to join.

I am older than dirt and have done 6 sprint tri's. Last one was last week end, and finally averaged 20 mph on the bike. This year's race was 5 minutes faster than same one last year.

This has been a good year setting PR for the Marathon and 10k run distances. Missed pr on 5k by 22 seconds.

I make lots of bad jokes and tend to be active both in training and posting. I like to joke with El jeffe who lives 20 minutes down the road from me, but have never met.

Cash

2007-12-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1098095

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-12 4:09 PM I would like to join. I am older than dirt and have done 6 sprint tri's. Last one was last week end, and finally averaged 20 mph on the bike. This year's race was 5 minutes faster than same one last year. This has been a good year setting PR for the Marathon and 10k run distances. Missed pr on 5k by 22 seconds. I make lots of bad jokes and tend to be active both in training and posting. I like to joke with El jeffe who lives 20 minutes down the road from me, but have never met. Cash

Helllooooo Cash!!!

El Jeffe is the bomb.  But don't tell him I said that, I don't want to ruin my cold hearted repuatation with him.   

It's OK if you're older than dirt... Noz is younger than spring so it all balances out in the end.  Bad jokes are always welcome and encouraged as is padding your post count as much as possible active training, posting and inspiring.

Congrats on the PRs this year.  Whatchya got planned for next season?

2007-12-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1097236

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-12 10:22 AM

We all seem to have busy schedules.  Mila has 3 kids and teaches several spin classes.  I have 3 kids as well and sometimes work gets in the way of BT .  We all seem to get the training in.  Good luck this off-season.  We'll try to encourage you to get your workouts in, which shouldn't be too hard to do in GUAM!  Welcome!

I'm in meetings the rest of the day, so Mila, I'm handing you the baton .

Hi, yes, I am twirling the baton.  I'm wearing those white majorette boots, too. 

As far as schedules go, I have to admit I have it pretty good.  I do teach spin classes so basically get paid to work out since I can swim and/or run before or after classes whilest taking advantage of free childcare.  I also have an educational consulting business that allows me to have a very flexible schedule.  With that said, though, real life with three kids and a husband who travels often gets in the way and I have to get creative. I work out early in the morning a lot... I find that it impacts family time the least.  I also have a boy toy that's incredibly supportive and doesn't mind being on duty while I train on the weekends.

2007-12-12 6:36 PM

Hey Guys, I'm fast approaching 50 and am new to this whole triathlon business. I registered for an Olympic distance tri this coming May. I've never swum much and can barely do 50 meters in a pool without having to take a break. I can see that the swim is going to be the most taxing. The biking seems to be coming much easier. While I've done a couple of marathons a few years back, I'm extremely slow and running 5 or 6 miles is quite a chore now, but I'm excited at the prospect of completing my first triathlon! I've always been active, playing a variety of sports, including lifting weights. I don't see being able to bench press a lot of weight working to my advantage in this sport but I'm not going to give up the strength training as I love to play softball and like to dial up doctor longball on occasion.
2007-12-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: #1097870

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hi Mila,

Today, ran a 3 - 4 mile run with a local running store that just opened. I thought I would try it out since they are closer then the other running stores I have been going to, and it was a great run, with great folks, so I will be putting the on the Wednesday evening training schedule.

What has everyone else done today?

cb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55