BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-02-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1940181

User image

Master
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-01 4:55 PM

I just had a guy at my local bike shop fit me but it wasn't a FIST fit.  I am trying to save the $200.  The more I try and save money, the more I seem to spend!!  If I am in pain this week, I will shell out the $200 for a real fit.  And not to sound negative but watch, my knee will still hurt!!

Here's a link to my gawd awful pic on the bike:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=146024&posts=1#M1940208

Bronwyn, do you know any bike PTs in your area? I actually had my fit done by a PT who specializes in cycling (former coach, yada yada yada, everyone out here swears by him). The cool thing is that if you go in with PAIN, insurance will likely cover it. I actually went to him prior to purchasing a bike as I was having hip pain from spin classes and wanted to get a good spin fit and advice for bike buying. He steered me towards measurments to look for in bikes given my history (swim/run), then after I bought my bike he did a full fit. I may add aerobars soon and will definitely go back to him for that. Anyway, in all I paid about $40 or $50 in co-pays. It's something to consider if that is an option...

Roni... YES!! I "officially" started the HIM training today. Fortunately day one was a 1:00 bike ride, so I just did my Jorge workout and extended part of it to get in 1:00. I will really have to monkey with the schedule as my kids do ski lessons on Saturdays, which shoots the entire day. Weekends are actually the harder time for me to do longer workouts. So I will really have to juggle carefully until ski season is over and I have my Saturday mornings back. Plus, I still can't swim which isn't a HUGE deal. If I have to take a break from a sport swimming is the one I can slack off the easiest w/o losing too much. For now I will try to substitute core workouts for the swims. I'm going to get some guidance from my PT this week to see what she thinks about things like planks/side planks or anything weight-bearing on the arms.

Anyway, I hope to keep up the Jorge workouts as much as they will fit into the schedule. I also need to watch the weather closely because I'd love to do the 2:00 bike ride outside!! (Today would be perfect, darn it!)

2009-02-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
You guys are awesome, 2 people in our group will have their 1st race a HIM (atleast listed races in BT)!!  That is so cool!
2009-02-02 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Okay, you people!! I will call tomorrow to get a bike fit!! Geez!  

Kellie watched me swim again tonight.  She is really good at diagnosing problems.  

2009-02-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1941703

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-02-02 2:29 PM
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-01 4:55 PM

I just had a guy at my local bike shop fit me but it wasn't a FIST fit.  I am trying to save the $200.  The more I try and save money, the more I seem to spend!!  If I am in pain this week, I will shell out the $200 for a real fit.  And not to sound negative but watch, my knee will still hurt!!

Here's a link to my gawd awful pic on the bike:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=146024&posts=1#M1940208

Bronwyn, do you know any bike PTs in your area? I actually had my fit done by a PT who specializes in cycling (former coach, yada yada yada, everyone out here swears by him). The cool thing is that if you go in with PAIN, insurance will likely cover it. I actually went to him prior to purchasing a bike as I was having hip pain from spin classes and wanted to get a good spin fit and advice for bike buying. He steered me towards measurments to look for in bikes given my history (swim/run), then after I bought my bike he did a full fit. I may add aerobars soon and will definitely go back to him for that. Anyway, in all I paid about $40 or $50 in co-pays. It's something to consider if that is an option... Roni... YES!! I "officially" started the HIM training today. Fortunately day one was a 1:00 bike ride, so I just did my Jorge workout and extended part of it to get in 1:00. I will really have to monkey with the schedule as my kids do ski lessons on Saturdays, which shoots the entire day. Weekends are actually the harder time for me to do longer workouts. So I will really have to juggle carefully until ski season is over and I have my Saturday mornings back. Plus, I still can't swim which isn't a HUGE deal. If I have to take a break from a sport swimming is the one I can slack off the easiest w/o losing too much. For now I will try to substitute core workouts for the swims. I'm going to get some guidance from my PT this week to see what she thinks about things like planks/side planks or anything weight-bearing on the arms. Anyway, I hope to keep up the Jorge workouts as much as they will fit into the schedule. I also need to watch the weather closely because I'd love to do the 2:00 bike ride outside!! (Today would be perfect, darn it!)

bummer on the shoulder issue still!  Want to trade shoulder for knee?  Haha!    Yeah, I didnt think so.  Id take not swimming over not running to

2009-02-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1942531

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-02 9:45 PM

Okay, you people!! I will call tomorrow to get a bike fit!! Geez!  

Kellie watched me swim again tonight.  She is really good at diagnosing problems.  

Let us know how it goes! 

2009-02-03 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

I made the bike fit appointment! Just thought I would update you all! HIM training starts March 16th so I gotta get the bike ready!

2009-02-03 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
HIM for first race is impressive  I'm too much of a wuss to do that.  I'm starting with a SHORT sprint, I think the swim is only 300 yards and it's in a pool.  Plan to do a couple of Olympics this summer also, then tackle a HIM next summer (June 2010 in Kansa maybe?).  I've decided to scrap my 1/2 marathons for the early spring since I've fallen behind on my running, and to honest I've been enjoying cross-training too much to focus on running.  I'll build that back up to 12-15 mile long runs by mid-April hopefully.  Anyone else ready to ride outside?  I've got 90 miles of paved bike trails near me, but it does me no good when it's 19 outside!
2009-02-03 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1943594

User image

Master
matt_d - 2009-02-03 1:38 PM

HIM for first race is impressive  I'm too much of a wuss to do that.  I'm starting with a SHORT sprint, I think the swim is only 300 yards and it's in a pool.  Plan to do a couple of Olympics this summer also, then tackle a HIM next summer (June 2010 in Kansa maybe?).  I've decided to scrap my 1/2 marathons for the early spring since I've fallen behind on my running, and to honest I've been enjoying cross-training too much to focus on running.  I'll build that back up to 12-15 mile long runs by mid-April hopefully.  Anyone else ready to ride outside?  I've got 90 miles of paved bike trails near me, but it does me no good when it's 19 outside!

I'm sooooooo ready to ride outside, and it's 55 and sunny here today! We have string of nice days coming up so I hope to be out there. The problem is the mornings are still quite chilly but I have to be done in time for kiddos getting home from school. Anyway, I hear ya and am glad we're not looking at 19 degrees!!!!!!! Hang in there!
2009-02-03 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1943594

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

matt_d - 2009-02-03 1:38 PM HIM for first race is impressive  I'm too much of a wuss to do that.  I'm starting with a SHORT sprint, I think the swim is only 300 yards and it's in a pool.  Plan to do a couple of Olympics this summer also, then tackle a HIM next summer (June 2010 in Kansa maybe?).  I've decided to scrap my 1/2 marathons for the early spring since I've fallen behind on my running, and to honest I've been enjoying cross-training too much to focus on running.  I'll build that back up to 12-15 mile long runs by mid-April hopefully.  Anyone else ready to ride outside?  I've got 90 miles of paved bike trails near me, but it does me no good when it's 19 outside!

I'm with you Matt, we don't have paved trails, and our roads are so full of sand and salt that I'm not sure if there still is pavement under them!  I will most likely be on the trainer for the month of February for sure.  Hopefully we will get some hard rains to wash off the roads.

Olympics are fun to do.  I have only done one, but it's short enough to make you focus on fast transitions and long enough that you don't have to get all stressed if you lose 3 seconds putting you sunglasses on.  Plus, hey, it's whats done in the Olympics!

2009-02-03 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1943972

User image

Master
OK, anyone up for bouncing around advice/ideas? Here is what my plan has on tap this week.

Wed: B: 1h 00m (trainer high RPM spin)

Thurs: R: 1h 00m (speed/tempo)
S: 3500.00 Yd 1h 00m

Fri: B: 1h 15m (strength/hills)
S: 1700.00 Yd 45m

Sat: B: 2h 00m (endurance/speed/brick: BIG ONE OF THE WEEK)
R: 45m

Sun: R: 1h 20m (hills/strength -- work the hills, easier the rest)

I am thinking about doing my Jorge W9D2 workout tomorrow (1:00) but doing it outside on a paved trail. The main set will be 10x30" (w/30"easy) at 110%, then a z2-z3-ish longer portion. I think I can do this outside...

The trick is doing the long Saturday workout since I can't do it Saturday and Friday I *might* be able to but am pressed for time and would only have about 10 minutes of wiggle room. Thinking about doing that long brick on Thursday, Sunday's run on Friday, Jorge bike on Saturday before skiing (making it longer to get to 1:15), and maybe do a LT run test on Sunday as the "replacement" for Thursday's temp run. Monday is supposed to be a 1:15 run, but I would likely do Jorge... and then begin tweaking next week. Unless my PT gives me the green light on Thursday, I'm not doing any of the swims and will do core stuff instead.

Do you want to provide any insight, Coach-in-training Kellie?! Or Roni, who is now on week 2? Or anyone else who likes to geek out on this stuff??

2009-02-03 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1944024

User image

Master
P.S. Also toyed with doing long brick on Sunday, but the weather will likely be crap and Thursday is supposed to be decent, which means I could do a nice 2:00 ride OUTSIDE.

2009-02-03 5:28 PM

User image

Expert

Kyla-Good luck with the training and tweaking the plan. I'm sure ypu'll get great advice.

I'm agreeing with all of you about wanting to ride outside. Unfortunately, we still have patches of ice on some of the roads from all of the melting and refreezing. Greg-I  think I'll be on the trainer thru the month of Feb. also, and probably into March.

2009-02-03 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1944045

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
slow turtle - 2009-02-03 5:28 PM

Kyla-Good luck with the training and tweaking the plan. I'm sure ypu'll get great advice.

I'm agreeing with all of you about wanting to ride outside. Unfortunately, we still have patches of ice on some of the roads from all of the melting and refreezing. Greg-I  think I'll be on the trainer thru the month of Feb. also, and probably into March.

I'm hoping to catch at least 1 good day to ride outside this month, but probably the trainer through mid-march.  I like the quality of the trainer workouts, but they can be boring.  I'll probably keep 1 a week in my schedule even when the weather is nice.  No coasting 

Do any of you use the Spinervals Virtual Reality DVD's or the Rides series?  I'm thinking of picking up 1 or 2 just to add some variety to the trainer, leaning towards the Rides Volumes 2 and/or 3, but I've never used either before.

2009-02-03 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1944079

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
matt_d - 2009-02-03 6:50 PM
slow turtle - 2009-02-03 5:28 PM

I'm hoping to catch at least 1 good day to ride outside this month, but probably the trainer through mid-march.  I like the quality of the trainer workouts, but they can be boring.  I'll probably keep 1 a week in my schedule even when the weather is nice.  No coasting 

Do any of you use the Spinervals Virtual Reality DVD's or the Rides series?  I'm thinking of picking up 1 or 2 just to add some variety to the trainer, leaning towards the Rides Volumes 2 and/or 3, but I've never used either before.

First of all, I want to tell you that you can run in 19 degree weather!! I do it and live to tell about it!   I ran outside again today and just watch my step on the snow and ice.  Riding outside...another story.  I don't think the cold wind hitting you at 20 mph would be good.  NOT GOOD AT ALL!!

I bought the Lake Placid 2 Virtual Reality one off Kellie (that is how I met her).  I like to watch it but haven't done it for more than an hour.  

My HIM won't be my first tri but this will be my first season for tris.  I am not good at patience.  I want to do it ALL right NOW.  I ran my first half marathon with minimal preparation. I didn't even sign up until a week or two before the race.  I prepared pretty thoroughly for my full marathon though.    

2009-02-03 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

kkcbelle - 2009-02-03 6:15 PM OK, anyone up for bouncing around advice/ideas? Here is what my plan has on tap this week. Wed: B: 1h 00m (trainer high RPM spin) Thurs: R: 1h 00m (speed/tempo) S: 3500.00 Yd 1h 00m Fri: B: 1h 15m (strength/hills) S: 1700.00 Yd 45m Sat: B: 2h 00m (endurance/speed/brick: BIG ONE OF THE WEEK) R: 45m Sun: R: 1h 20m (hills/strength -- work the hills, easier the rest) I am thinking about doing my Jorge W9D2 workout tomorrow (1:00) but doing it outside on a paved trail. The main set will be 10x30" (w/30"easy) at 110%, then a z2-z3-ish longer portion. I think I can do this outside... The trick is doing the long Saturday workout since I can't do it Saturday and Friday I *might* be able to but am pressed for time and would only have about 10 minutes of wiggle room. Thinking about doing that long brick on Thursday, Sunday's run on Friday, Jorge bike on Saturday before skiing (making it longer to get to 1:15), and maybe do a LT run test on Sunday as the "replacement" for Thursday's temp run. Monday is supposed to be a 1:15 run, but I would likely do Jorge... and then begin tweaking next week. Unless my PT gives me the green light on Thursday, I'm not doing any of the swims and will do core stuff instead. Do you want to provide any insight, Coach-in-training Kellie?! Or Roni, who is now on week 2? Or anyone else who likes to geek out on this stuff??

I got confused and dizzy just reading that! I think someone else better answer.  I like to change things also to accommodate my schedule, the weather or whatever else comes up.

2009-02-03 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1944079

User image

Master
matt_d - 2009-02-03 5:50 PM

I have a few that a friend gave me and I've found they give me a great workout. I have one "base builder" DVD that's about 1:20, and the rest are :45 to 1:00. They are good workouts, but the music really sucks so if you like/need music to really get going, find a way to tune out Troy's cheesey tunes and fire up your own. I usually ride with my mp3 player and turn down the volume to hear/understand the set, then crank the tunes and watch the TV for the cues when to stop an interval (it tells you what effort/gear you should be in). Doing a workout on the trainer is much better IMO than just sittin' and spinnin'!

2009-02-04 6:28 AM

User image

Expert

I just signed up for a 4 mile race on March 7! I've never entered any race longer than a 5K, so this is a big deal for me.

I think the slightly longer distance will motivate me to continue to increase my mileage, and to get in atleast 3 runs a week. I'm hoping it will build my confidence about possibly completing the Oly in early August.

2009-02-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1944199

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
kkcbelle - 2009-02-03 6:57 PM
matt_d - 2009-02-03 5:50 PM

I have a few that a friend gave me and I've found they give me a great workout. I have one "base builder" DVD that's about 1:20, and the rest are :45 to 1:00. They are good workouts, but the music really sucks so if you like/need music to really get going, find a way to tune out Troy's cheesey tunes and fire up your own. I usually ride with my mp3 player and turn down the volume to hear/understand the set, then crank the tunes and watch the TV for the cues when to stop an interval (it tells you what effort/gear you should be in). Doing a workout on the trainer is much better IMO than just sittin' and spinnin'!

I have several of the Spinervals DVD's, I'm actually looking for any info on the Spinervals On The Road DVD's (Madison, Lake Placid).  

2009-02-04 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

kkcbelle - 2009-02-03 3:15 PM OK, anyone up for bouncing around advice/ideas? Here is what my plan has on tap this week. Wed: B: 1h 00m (trainer high RPM spin) Thurs: R: 1h 00m (speed/tempo) S: 3500.00 Yd 1h 00m Fri: B: 1h 15m (strength/hills) S: 1700.00 Yd 45m Sat: B: 2h 00m (endurance/speed/brick: BIG ONE OF THE WEEK) R: 45m Sun: R: 1h 20m (hills/strength -- work the hills, easier the rest) I am thinking about doing my Jorge W9D2 workout tomorrow (1:00) but doing it outside on a paved trail. The main set will be 10x30" (w/30"easy) at 110%, then a z2-z3-ish longer portion. I think I can do this outside... The trick is doing the long Saturday workout since I can't do it Saturday and Friday I *might* be able to but am pressed for time and would only have about 10 minutes of wiggle room. Thinking about doing that long brick on Thursday, Sunday's run on Friday, Jorge bike on Saturday before skiing (making it longer to get to 1:15), and maybe do a LT run test on Sunday as the "replacement" for Thursday's temp run. Monday is supposed to be a 1:15 run, but I would likely do Jorge... and then begin tweaking next week. Unless my PT gives me the green light on Thursday, I'm not doing any of the swims and will do core stuff instead. Do you want to provide any insight, Coach-in-training Kellie?! Or Roni, who is now on week 2? Or anyone else who likes to geek out on this stuff??

Hi Kyla! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan to me. I try to get the long bikes in on a nice day too. In fact I sometimes will change my schedule last minute to get in a long bike when it's nice enough to ride outside. As far as moving things around... the advice I was given is just be sure to follow hard days with easier days. 

2009-02-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1944664

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
slow turtle - 2009-02-04 4:28 AM

I just signed up for a 4 mile race on March 7! I've never entered any race longer than a 5K, so this is a big deal for me.

I think the slightly longer distance will motivate me to continue to increase my mileage, and to get in atleast 3 runs a week. I'm hoping it will build my confidence about possibly completing the Oly in early August.

Congratulations on signing up for the the 4 mile race Heidi! There's nothing like having a race as a goal to help keep you motivated

2009-02-04 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Sorry Matt, can't help with the spinerval dvd's. I'm the world's worst trainer rider, and will do most anything to avoid it

2009-02-04 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-02-03 5:15 PM OK, anyone up for bouncing around advice/ideas? Here is what my plan has on tap this week. Wed: B: 1h 00m (trainer high RPM spin) Thurs: R: 1h 00m (speed/tempo) S: 3500.00 Yd 1h 00m Fri: B: 1h 15m (strength/hills) S: 1700.00 Yd 45m Sat: B: 2h 00m (endurance/speed/brick: BIG ONE OF THE WEEK) R: 45m Sun: R: 1h 20m (hills/strength -- work the hills, easier the rest) I am thinking about doing my Jorge W9D2 workout tomorrow (1:00) but doing it outside on a paved trail. The main set will be 10x30" (w/30"easy) at 110%, then a z2-z3-ish longer portion. I think I can do this outside... The trick is doing the long Saturday workout since I can't do it Saturday and Friday I *might* be able to but am pressed for time and would only have about 10 minutes of wiggle room. Thinking about doing that long brick on Thursday, Sunday's run on Friday, Jorge bike on Saturday before skiing (making it longer to get to 1:15), and maybe do a LT run test on Sunday as the "replacement" for Thursday's temp run. Monday is supposed to be a 1:15 run, but I would likely do Jorge... and then begin tweaking next week. Unless my PT gives me the green light on Thursday, I'm not doing any of the swims and will do core stuff instead. Do you want to provide any insight, Coach-in-training Kellie?! Or Roni, who is now on week 2? Or anyone else who likes to geek out on this stuff??

Actually how you have mixed it up to accomodate sounds pretty good!   Its ok to play with the setup of your week to accomodate weather/life things taht come up.  Sounds like you have figured out a way to get it all in and not put two hard days of the same thing back to back. (two hard days of biking, or running).   Have fun trying to get it all in with skiing!  

2009-02-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1944664

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-02-04 6:28 AM

Congrats   You will do great!   Just keep bumping it up slowly and listen to your body

2009-02-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1944826

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-02-04 8:34 AM

Actually how you have mixed it up to accomodate sounds pretty good!   Its ok to play with the setup of your week to accomodate weather/life things taht come up.  Sounds like you have figured out a way to get it all in and not put two hard days of the same thing back to back. (two hard days of biking, or running).   Have fun trying to get it all in with skiing!  

Thanks for the feedback, Kellie! Yeah, the tricky part about skiing is that I'll have to pull an early-morning workout to be done/showered by 7:30am to get everyone ready to go (myself included, as my hubby and I ski on our own while the kids do their lessons). It's dark and I'm exhausted when we get home at the end of the day, so if I were to save a trainer workout for the evening I know I wouldn't do it. It'll only be for a few more weekends.

I'm excited to do a run LT test. It's to be a tempo run but I figure it's a great chance to give myself a ballpark HR to work with.

Thanks for the feedback too, Roni! I don't know how you can manage to balance HIM and marathon training. The sheer logistics of that would be too much for me. Hats off to you and it's exciting to read your logs!!

Yay for you Heidi!!!!!! Entering a race is always the best form of motivation for me. I hope your past injury doesn't hinder your progress.

Kyla
2009-02-04 10:50 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Awsome Heidi! Just think of it as a 5k with a fast mile cool down.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30