BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-01-07 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1892733

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 2:47 PM I RAN!!!!! oh it was a good one!!! i love love love running in the rain!

You would have loved the triathlon I did last April, pouring rain for the whole event. The worst was that the transition area turned into a mud pit so even though my shoes stayed dry under a tarp my feet were muddy and soaked before I made it out of TA.

2009-01-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1892826

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Sledge - 2009-01-07 12:19 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-06 2:31 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-06 2:17 PM
Sledge - 2009-01-06 10:57 AM
Girl Passing on Left

do you like your clip on aerobars? I seem to ride a lot in the crouched position and wondering if I should give them a tri try.

Aero bars made a big difference for me!  I don't know all of the physiology (is that a real word?) of it, but the first thing it did was reduce my heart rate, thereby helping endurance.  The second thing is that you are in a different position, and it just seems that you can use your legs more effectively.  Since my legs are the strongest part of me, that's a good thing.

are there lots of brands of aerobars? what do you use Cheri and Nicole?

Starting in 2007 on my Specialized Sequoia I first tried Profile Design GT Jammers but couldn't get my wrists comfortable. I switched to Profile Design T2+ (s-bend design)and was very happy with them. When I moved them to the Allez I found that I didn't feel like I was in control and needed to find something else. I ended up with some r-bend design aerobars from an uncommon brand called BBB.

IMO bars that are adjustable for width, length, and rotation offer the most ability to dial them in to suit you.

I have the Profile Design Aerostryke, and liked them until recently.  Turns out that the pads that flip up are actually plastic, and one side just broke (I'm having lots of bike issues recently ). 

I'm thinking about investing in a tri bike -- any advice?

Hi Cheri, Thanks for the info on the aerobars....as for tri bikes, my brother loves his Cervelo, and a friend who swears by thier Felt Brand bike....I would do some web searches...or post in one of these two BT forums: Click on Forums at the top of the page- then find these two forums: My Cup of Joe or Gear Reviews and Questions threads. Start your own post or view what's there.....tons of info! let me know what you find out, because I am thinking of buying my daughter one.

2009-01-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1892834

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Sledge - 2009-01-07 12:21 PM
Sledge - 2009-01-07 2:19 PM
Girl Passing on Left

do you like your clip on aerobars? I seem to ride a lot in the crouched position and wondering if I should give them a tri try.

Aero bars made a big difference for me!  I don't know all of the physiology (is that a real word?) of it, but the first thing it did was reduce my heart rate, thereby helping endurance.  The second thing is that you are in a different position, and it just seems that you can use your legs more effectively.  Since my legs are the strongest part of me, that's a good thing.

Starting in 2007 on my Specialized Sequoia I first tried Profile Design GT Jammers but couldn't get my wrists comfortable. I switched to Profile Design T2+ (s-bend design)and was very happy with them. When I moved them to the Allez I found that I didn't feel like I was in control and needed to find something else. I ended up with some r-bend design aerobars from an uncommon brand called BBB.

IMO bars that are adjustable for width, length, and rotation offer the most ability to dial them in to suit you.

I have the Profile Design Aerostryke, and liked them until recently.  Turns out that the pads that flip up are actually plastic, and one side just broke (I'm having lots of bike issues recently ). 

Oh yeah... and I'm going to need a wetsuit too.  (Who ever thought of a wetsuit in Florida???)  But May in the gulf is cold.  Any advice here too?

can you rent one? not like you will be using one all the time. I only practiced in mine once before racing and found it easier to swim in then without!?! but some can be restricting in the arm area and make you feel like you are all bound up. Try the classifieds here on BT. I bought mine used from a BTer who upgraded. You may not want a full one but a short legged, sleeveless...depends on the water temps...any ideas of what temp range will be at race time?

2009-01-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1892949

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 12:51 PM

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 2:47 PM I RAN!!!!! oh it was a good one!!! i love love love running in the rain!

You would have loved the triathlon I did last April, pouring rain for the whole event. The worst was that the transition area turned into a mud pit so even though my shoes stayed dry under a tarp my feet were muddy and soaked before I made it out of TA.

I seem to remember you taking part in this race Nicole...I believe you were on one of my challenge teams back then - didnt you have some pics?....you rocked that race if I remember correctly!?

2009-01-07 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1892975

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 4:01 PM
Girl Passing on Left

Oh yeah... and I'm going to need a wetsuit too.  (Who ever thought of a wetsuit in Florida???)  But May in the gulf is cold.  Any advice here too?

can you rent one? not like you will be using one all the time. I only practiced in mine once before racing and found it easier to swim in then without!?! but some can be restricting in the arm area and make you feel like you are all bound up. Try the classifieds here on BT. I bought mine used from a BTer who upgraded. You may not want a full one but a short legged, sleeveless...depends on the water temps...any ideas of what temp range will be at race time?

I've got a used wetsuit I need to sell. I'm about 5'5", 155 pounds but I felt the suit was a bit too big for me. So, this suit would be best for a woman a bit larger than me. Anyone here interested. I'm looking for like $60. It's a ProMotion suit.

2009-01-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1892984

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 1:05 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 4:01 PM
Girl Passing on Left

I've got a used wetsuit I need to sell. I'm about 5'5", 155 pounds but I felt the suit was a bit too big for me. So, this suit would be best for a woman a bit larger than me. Anyone here interested. I'm looking for like $60. It's a ProMotion suit.

can you post a picture Nicole? front and back? thanks.

2009-01-07 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes post a picture of the wetsuit. If nobody here wants it I have a friend that may.
Amy In
2009-01-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1892980

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 4:03 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 12:51 PM

I seem to remember you taking part in this race Nicole...I believe you were on one of my challenge teams back then - didnt you have some pics?....you rocked that race if I remember correctly!?

I've got pictures of this race (Kinetic Sprint Triathlon) in my albums (wearing the wetsuit I want to sell).

I had a terrible swim; the water was really cold and I could hardly bring myself to put my face in the water. I had a pretty great bike segment, and the run was my best in a triathlon up to that point. I'm planning to go back there this year and *really* rock the race!

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-01-07 3:48 PM
2009-01-07 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say "Happy Hump-day"!

I don't think I'm going to be riding outside today - it's only 45 F and cloudy. But I have my stuff with me, so maybe... I'll make it up on the trainer tonight, I promise!

I'm so glad to hear lyssa-g got outside, finally! Congratulations!

I'm in the rent-one-when-you-REALLY-need-one category on wetsuits, too. I hate swimming in them and will only wear one if the water temp is sub-65. I did a race in 2007 where the water temp was about 68, but the air temp when we got out was 45! That was fun. I think it took me to the turnaround on the bike to stop shivering, but I didn't once wish I had a wetsuit for the swim.

Trish

2009-01-07 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh, I forgot. Does anyone know any good computer chair core exercises? I'm not making it onto the yoga mat in the evenings, and figure I can do some work at work, ya know?

Thanks
Trish
2009-01-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1892805

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 12:11 PM

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 11:47 AM I RAN!!!!! oh it was a good one!!! i love love love running in the rain! the only time it was too cold was like a month ago it was rain mixed with snow, and i was freezing! but today was good good good. 'bout 40 degrees, POURING, i'm totally soaked, but i'm-a-grinnin' that gym in a bag (the $200 one) looks RAD!! too bad it's $200! LOL the amazon one looks KIND of like what i have. i only have one resistance band, but that's what i use for strength training. the other thing i really like is a video podcast i found called pilates on fifth, they're these cute little red headed twins that do pilates, HARD pilates, but since it's on my ipod i can watch and do at the same time. that's my fitness routine when i cant' go outside. resistance band, yoga, and pilates. but NOT today! mua ha ha ha ha ha!!! i RAN!!!!!! ok. so i walked about 100 yards, then ran my regular pace for about half a mile, then at presumed race pace (to get the marathon done in less than 4 hours i need to run ABOUT a 9 MM) for half a mile, and so on and so forth. is that what i should be doing? is that a good idea? lemme just throw out there that i'm clueless and muddling my way through this. anyway, i plugged out a tad over 3 miles-i feel great. except, now i'm wet and cold. time for a hot shower.

thought this info I found on the web may be helpful:

1. The run/walk method is simple: After you've warmed-up with a 5-minute walk, run for a short segment and then take a walk break. Beginners can alternate very short run segments with short walks, such as 1 minute running, 7 minutes walking.
  2. Keep repeating your run/walk pattern until you've covered your goal distance or time. For example, if you want to run/walk for 16 minutes, you can run/walk at a 1:7 ratio for two cycles. Make sure that you're using the proper form (applies to both your running and walking segments).

3. You should start your walk portion before your running muscles get too tired. This will allow your muscles to recover instantly, which extends the time and distance that you can cover. If you wait until you're very fatigued, you'll end up walking slowly and it will be difficult to start running again.

4. For the walk portions, make sure you're not taking a leisurely stroll. You should pump your arms, so that your heart rate stays elevated. That way, you'll still be getting a good cardiovascular workout and it will make the transition back to running easier.

5. As you continue with your run/walk program, try to extend the amount of time you're running and reduce your walking time.

6. If you'd like to aim to run for 30 minutes continuously, try this 8-week run/walk program for beginners.

7. Once you can successfully run for long stretches, don't feel as if you have to abandon the run/walk method. Some long-distance runners use it in training runs and races to help reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.

Tips:

1. Use your breathing as your guide during your running segments. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running and your breathing shouldn't be heavy.

2. Drink water at the end of your workouts to rehydrate. If it's hot and humid, you should also drink some water (about 4-6 ounces) halfway through your workout.

Looks like you were ok with what you were doing....but if you can Lyssa...try and do a very slow jog instead of walking...at least every other time you slow down...soon you will be running the entire time at a faster pace and you legs will feel all toned and ready for your race.

HAPPY YOU GOT OUT! and EVEN HAPPIER TO FEEL THAT SMILE BACK ON YOUR FACE! I love your enthusiasm and humor...and just want to thank you for my daily smiles I get when reading your posts or inspires....and also for teaching me to love to run in the rain - I would probably never enjoy it like I do now if not for you!!!....plus...plus...plus!

thanks julee!
i just walked at the beginning, i know i should have walked a tad longer, but i was COLD and wanted to warm up a bit. i wasn't walking on every cycle. just at the beginning. i can run (without stopping) for AROUND 4 miles right now, i DO every now and then take VERY short walk breaks if i'm winded or at the top of a hill, but i'm mostly just running now.
my faster half miles that i was doing were definately tough. i think i could have had a conversation IF i had absolutely had to, but my half of the conversation would have been mostly grunting, or monosylabic answers. LOL i don't know why a 9 MM is so tough for me. i am sort of hoping that doing more and more of it over the next few months will make it more comfortable. i don't think i could do even a 10K at that pace right now. heck. i don't know if i could do a 5K at that pace! LOL yeah. i maybe could. it'd be a tough one though.

2009-01-07 4:08 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
i LOVE my wetsuit. is that weird?! LOL
i bought it for my first race, i got a phenomenal deal on it, i HAD a pic in my blog, but i moved it recently.

yikes. dh said we're leaving in 5 minutes, i didn't know we were going anywhere, i'd better go see what's going on.
2009-01-07 4:37 PM

User image

Colorado

I have a two piece wetsuit.  I love the bottoms, hate the top.  I feel like I'm choking and it's so tight in the chest I feel like I can't breathe.  It fits like it is "supposed to", though, as I was measured for it, tried it on in the store with the owner checking everything, etc.  I've been storing it with two basketballs in the chest area   (A big no-no by the way, but I hate hating it so much) Hoping it stretches a little.

2009-01-07 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Well my husband has a shorty wetsuit I thought I'd try on, and what a laugh that was.  It wouldn't do me any good at all -- it's huge, and he's not even a big guy.  But he's certainly much bigger than me (and that's a good thing, right?).
2009-01-07 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1893126

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NoSit - 2009-01-07 1:59 PM Hey everyone, Just wanted to say "Happy Hump-day"! I don't think I'm going to be riding outside today - it's only 45 F and cloudy. But I have my stuff with me, so maybe... I'll make it up on the trainer tonight, I promise! I'm so glad to hear lyssa-g got outside, finally! Congratulations! I'm in the rent-one-when-you-REALLY-need-one category on wetsuits, too. I hate swimming in them and will only wear one if the water temp is sub-65. I did a race in 2007 where the water temp was about 68, but the air temp when we got out was 45! That was fun. I think it took me to the turnaround on the bike to stop shivering, but I didn't once wish I had a wetsuit for the swim. Trish

I am still shivering for you! hehe I would have hit the water and sprung back out! I am a wimp when it comes to cold water/weather! and I bet you didnt once wish you had a wetsuit...especially when it came time to strip it off...I know that is what takes me forever to do...wish I would have known that when exiting water to unzip it and fill it with water...that way it is easier to come off...instead I unzipped after getting out and when I got to my Transition area, I tugged, pulled, cursed, tugged some more and cursed lots more...til someone near me came over and helped! I thanked her a million times after, too! so that is my tip of the day for you beginners who have not had to strip off a wetsuit in a hurry...make sure to unzip it and fill it full of the water before exiting the swim area...will make a TON of difference and cut minutes off your swim to bike transition time.

2009-01-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1893137

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NoSit - 2009-01-07 2:02 PM Oh, I forgot. Does anyone know any good computer chair core exercises? I'm not making it onto the yoga mat in the evenings, and figure I can do some work at work, ya know? Thanks Trish

saw this last year on Ellen....and totally cracked up!

http://www.fitsugar.com/1004118

not sure you will get anything done...haha

2009-01-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1893150

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 2:08 PM i LOVE my wetsuit. is that weird?! LOL i bought it for my first race, i got a phenomenal deal on it, i HAD a pic in my blog, but i moved it recently. yikes. dh said we're leaving in 5 minutes, i didn't know we were going anywhere, i'd better go see what's going on.

funny lyssa....when reading your message above I thought you said....i had a picnin in it...not a pic in my blog...and I got a visual of you and the kids out picnicing....you with your wet suit on....glad I re-read it! I was beginning to think that we were going to have to send a medical crew there with a nice little white suit...and take you to one of those padded rooms...but maybe instead it is I that needs to go! haha

oh...are you here or there? did your dh wisk you away? hoping he took you to a nice dinner out...but remember to stick to your diet...hehe

2009-01-07 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1893212

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
AndriaLL - 2009-01-07 2:37 PM

I have a two piece wetsuit.  I love the bottoms, hate the top.  I feel like I'm choking and it's so tight in the chest I feel like I can't breathe.  It fits like it is "supposed to", though, as I was measured for it, tried it on in the store with the owner checking everything, etc.  I've been storing it with two basketballs in the chest area   (A big no-no by the way, but I hate hating it so much) Hoping it stretches a little.

is it long sleeve Andria? you may want to try getting a sleeveless...not sure what temps you swim in...I have a sleeveless top that I wear when water is mid 60's and anything below that I wear my full suit with sleeves...it is tight, but not to the point where it is uncomfortable...funny about stuffing with basketballs, too! I got another visual - of this LARGE ROBUST BREASTED WETSUIT popping out at you each tiime you open the closet...you guys are going to have to stop doing this to me! LOL

you guys crack me up! there is always pilate balls if the basketballs dont work!

2009-01-07 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1893252

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-01-07 2:49 PM Well my husband has a shorty wetsuit I thought I'd try on, and what a laugh that was.  It wouldn't do me any good at all -- it's huge, and he's not even a big guy.  But he's certainly much bigger than me (and that's a good thing, right?).

when do you need the wetsuit Cheri? is it to practice in or for an upcoming race, or both?

2009-01-07 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

FYI - when adding debbie or dlelliott to your friends list in your training logs...do not leave off the last or second t - otherwise it will drive you crazy as to why her link would not showing up. Hoping you have added each teammates names...so that you have two easy ways of linking to thier training logs.

If you are new and need or not and need help with adding an avatar next to your user name....let me know. I have many to chose from and you are welcome to use one.

well you get the idea....

2009-01-07 9:06 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Here's my wetsuit that is for sale. It is a ProMotion Fluid Drive womens suit. I bought it used and was told that it was a "Large" but they don't size this way. Based on how it fit me I'm guessing that it's a 14 or 16 and I'm guessing I would have really needed a 12 in their sizes. I'm about 5'5" and 155 and I felt that it was a bit too big on me. I put some fingernail tears into it but they've all been repaired. Among other things it features zippers at the back of the ankles to make to easier to get on and off. With the green trim you will stand out from the crowd!

I would like to sell it for $60, including shipping in the US.

Nicole's wetsuit

(The vertical lines in the second photo are an artifact)

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-01-07 9:07 PM

2009-01-07 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1893427

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 6:26 PM

Sledge - 2009-01-07 2:49 PM Well my husband has a shorty wetsuit I thought I'd try on, and what a laugh that was.  It wouldn't do me any good at all -- it's huge, and he's not even a big guy.  But he's certainly much bigger than me (and that's a good thing, right?).

when do you need the wetsuit Cheri? is it to practice in or for an upcoming race, or both?

Actually, last May I went and observed the HIM I plan to do, and I only saw one person without a wetsuit.  I think the water temps were about 65 or so.  The gulf was very rough that day, and I've read that a wetsuit helps with bouyancy.  So even if the water temperature is marginal, I still think I'd rather compete the 1.2 miles in a wetsuit just in case the water is rough again.  Any additional boost I can get from the wetsuit will be helpful at the end of the day! 

2009-01-07 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1893848

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Sledge - 2009-01-07 7:35 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 6:26 PM

Actually, last May I went and observed the HIM I plan to do, and I only saw one person without a wetsuit.  I think the water temps were about 65 or so.  The gulf was very rough that day, and I've read that a wetsuit helps with bouyancy.  So even if the water temperature is marginal, I still think I'd rather compete the 1.2 miles in a wetsuit just in case the water is rough again.  Any additional boost I can get from the wetsuit will be helpful at the end of the day! 

I think wearing a wetsuit is a good idea. I feel very comfortable in my wetsuit...I think I feel more protected as silly as that sounds - I am a chicken when it comes to swimming in the ocean...and I used to be the opposite! and I agree with feeling more bouyant when swimming in one. It is definitely key to practice in it as many times as possible before wearing it in a race. so you are smart at looking at buying one soon. I would go to a tri shop and try one on. That way you know what sizes to look for...they can be weird about fitting you properly. I was lucky and the one I got fit like a glove and I have yet to get any rashes from rubbing under the arms or elsewhere like others seem to get. I do use glide all over before putting it on, though.

2009-01-07 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1893756

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 7:06 PM

Here's my wetsuit that is for sale. It is a ProMotion Fluid Drive womens suit. I bought it used and was told that it was a "Large" but they don't size this way. Based on how it fit me I'm guessing that it's a 14 or 16 and I'm guessing I would have really needed a 12 in their sizes. I'm about 5'5" and 155 and I felt that it was a bit too big on me. I put some fingernail tears into it but they've all been repaired. Among other things it features zippers at the back of the ankles to make to easier to get on and off. With the green trim you will stand out from the crowd!

I would like to sell it for $60, including shipping in the US.

Nicole's wetsuit

(The vertical lines in the second photo are an artifact)

I like it...very cool looking! I like that the green color and that the color is at the top not around the arse area...cuz that can be sooo unflattering.

2009-01-08 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Hey all, off to the pool. Noticed we were low on the page so figured I'd post a "hi de ho" so we'd be back up top where we belong !
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168