BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-26 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2244219

User image

Master
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
So I'm gonna do a half-mary tomorrow!! LOL! Rock n Roll Seattle -- I managed to secure a bib/chip. I am NOT racing and not running fast. I am doing it with a girlfriend (bestest friend mentioned above) who has trained 17 non-runners for this race. She trained them using the Galloway run/walk method, so they will be run/walking and I plan to do the same. My legs feel FINE and I know with a slower pace and a run/walk I can do this. I'm kind-of excited to spend the day with the gals!! I may feel tired and regret this decision around mile 10, but so it goes! If I didn't do this, I was gonna do a 10K in my back yard that I would have raced and tried to run fast. For some reason, I think on tired legs the longer and slower run will be a better choice.

All day I have been itching to do a hard workout. My body feels very antsy and ready to go. My training buddy feels the same way. I guess that is a result of not doing much this week and sort-of feeling tapered again? I'm looking forward to getting on my bike next week for a long-ish ride.

2009-06-26 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
On my usual bike route the first water stop is about 60 miles out one way.  I can beg for water at the bug inspection station at about 45 miles out, but it depends on who is working.  Going north or east the first water is at around 60 miles, south is around 30 miles, west is around 50 miles.  So if I am doing less than 100 miles, there is only one route that enables me to buy water/gatoraid.  I do live in the middle of nowhere....  Northeast there is this rock with a pipe coming out of it, but that way has the 10 mile climb at 5-6% grade x 2....  Not my current first choice in hot temps. 
2009-06-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2246460

User image

Master
Baowolf - 2009-06-26 6:03 PM On my usual bike route the first water stop is about 60 miles out one way.  I can beg for water at the bug inspection station at about 45 miles out, but it depends on who is working.  Going north or east the first water is at around 60 miles, south is around 30 miles, west is around 50 miles.  So if I am doing less than 100 miles, there is only one route that enables me to buy water/gatoraid.  I do live in the middle of nowhere....  Northeast there is this rock with a pipe coming out of it, but that way has the 10 mile climb at 5-6% grade x 2....  Not my current first choice in hot temps. 

Ummmmm... "Bug Inspection Station" ????????????? Crazy!! You *are* in the middle of nowhere!! Stay safe if it gets really warm. Are you in SoCal? Or MidCal?
2009-06-26 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2246351

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-26 2:47 PM So I'm gonna do a half-mary tomorrow!! LOL! Rock n Roll Seattle -- I managed to secure a bib/chip. I am NOT racing and not running fast. I am doing it with a girlfriend (bestest friend mentioned above) who has trained 17 non-runners for this race. She trained them using the Galloway run/walk method, so they will be run/walking and I plan to do the same. My legs feel FINE and I know with a slower pace and a run/walk I can do this. I'm kind-of excited to spend the day with the gals!! I may feel tired and regret this decision around mile 10, but so it goes! If I didn't do this, I was gonna do a 10K in my back yard that I would have raced and tried to run fast. For some reason, I think on tired legs the longer and slower run will be a better choice.

All day I have been itching to do a hard workout. My body feels very antsy and ready to go. My training buddy feels the same way. I guess that is a result of not doing much this week and sort-of feeling tapered again? I'm looking forward to getting on my bike next week for a long-ish ride.

Kyla, you're gonna laugh, but I'm up here for a wedding and found out about the race too (from the rental car guy at the airport this morning).  I'm buying a bib for the full from a woman with an achilles tendon injury.  I'm not exactly well tapered/rested, but it's just for fun anyhoo.  I'll PM you my cell in the very highly unlikely event we can get together amongst the 25,000+ racers...
2009-06-26 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2246460

User image

Master
San Francisco
Baowolf - 2009-06-26 4:03 PM On my usual bike route the first water stop is about 60 miles out one way.  I can beg for water at the bug inspection station at about 45 miles out, but it depends on who is working.  Going north or east the first water is at around 60 miles, south is around 30 miles, west is around 50 miles.  So if I am doing less than 100 miles, there is only one route that enables me to buy water/gatoraid.  I do live in the middle of nowhere....  Northeast there is this rock with a pipe coming out of it, but that way has the 10 mile climb at 5-6% grade x 2....  Not my current first choice in hot temps. 

Steve, you are too funny.  Beg for water at the bug inspection station or use the rock with a pipe coming out of it.  No one needs to tell you to HTFU on your rides.  We all have it cushy compared to that!
2009-06-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2246690

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-06-26 8:45 PM
kkcbelle - 2009-06-26 2:47 PM So I'm gonna do a half-mary tomorrow!! LOL! Rock n Roll Seattle -- I managed to secure a bib/chip. I am NOT racing and not running fast. I am doing it with a girlfriend (bestest friend mentioned above) who has trained 17 non-runners for this race. She trained them using the Galloway run/walk method, so they will be run/walking and I plan to do the same. My legs feel FINE and I know with a slower pace and a run/walk I can do this. I'm kind-of excited to spend the day with the gals!! I may feel tired and regret this decision around mile 10, but so it goes! If I didn't do this, I was gonna do a 10K in my back yard that I would have raced and tried to run fast. For some reason, I think on tired legs the longer and slower run will be a better choice.

Kyla, you're gonna laugh, but I'm up here for a wedding and found out about the race too (from the rental car guy at the airport this morning).  I'm buying a bib for the full from a woman with an achilles tendon injury.  I'm not exactly well tapered/rested, but it's just for fun anyhoo.  I'll PM you my cell in the very highly unlikely event we can get together amongst the 25,000+ racers...

Awesome!! It should be a gorgeous day! Very cool! I'm starting in corral #34, so depending on where you are starting we might finish around the same time! LOL! GOOD LUCK and have fun!!!

2009-06-27 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Wow to be able to just kind of decide to hit a Fully mary as part of your IM training 4 weeks out to get your long run in.... pretty amazing.  I am still only doing 15-17 mile runs (the day after a long ride).  But off on a 100 mile bike today so I will check back in in 5-6 hours.....
2009-06-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2246723

User image

kkcbelle - 2009-06-26 10:13 PM
enginerd - 2009-06-26 8:45 PM

Awesome!! It should be a gorgeous day! Very cool! I'm starting in corral #34, so depending on where you are starting we might finish around the same time! LOL! GOOD LUCK and have fun!!!

Too funny! My cousin had been planning to do Seattle RNR, and if she had I was going to go out and do it with her. But she got too busy, so I'm just taking the day off to hang out by the kiddie pool and do yard work. Have fun, both of you!!

2009-06-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2247199

User image

Baowolf - 2009-06-27 12:54 PM Wow to be able to just kind of decide to hit a Fully mary as part of your IM training 4 weeks out to get your long run in.... pretty amazing.  I am still only doing 15-17 mile runs (the day after a long ride).  But off on a 100 mile bike today so I will check back in in 5-6 hours.....

Have a great ride! We're getting a nice break from the heat today - I hope you are, too!

2009-06-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2247202

User image

Master
Home! Had fun!! It was what I planned and felt pretty good -- a 2:15 half mary and my legs feel just fine and dandy. Woo hoo!! My right knee did tighten up around mile 6, but I bit my tongue and didn't tell anyone and tried to focus on my gait and figure out what side of the road felt better... hoping I wasn't doing any damange. By mile 9 it worked itself out well, so phew on that front. The hammy/glute on that side is super-duper tight -- I was feeling it on runs before the HIM and felt it during the HIM for sure, so I need to do some good focused stretching on that side.

All 17 women in my friend's training group finished their first half mary today, so that was AWESOME!!! 100% success! While at times I was definitely holding back, it was really fun not to race and get hung up on times and splits. Seeing the sense of accomplishment for these women totally took me back to why I do this, and what it's all about. It was really a fun experience and I'm so glad I was out there! Will post a RR later.

Looking forward to getting on my bike next week and enjoying some of our sunshine and pedaling away. Wheeeeeeeee!!!
2009-06-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2247368

User image

Master
P.S. Spoke to Donato before the race started. He was 24 corrals in front of me, so no chance to meet up. How crazy is he to fly into town and run a mary, AND he's going to a wedding this evening. Awesome!!

2009-06-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2247368

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-27 1:26 PM Home! Had fun!! It was what I planned and felt pretty good -- a 2:15 half mary and my legs feel just fine and dandy. Woo hoo!! My right knee did tighten up around mile 6, but I bit my tongue and didn't tell anyone and tried to focus on my gait and figure out what side of the road felt better... hoping I wasn't doing any damange. By mile 9 it worked itself out well, so phew on that front. The hammy/glute on that side is super-duper tight -- I was feeling it on runs before the HIM and felt it during the HIM for sure, so I need to do some good focused stretching on that side.

All 17 women in my friend's training group finished their first half mary today, so that was AWESOME!!! 100% success! While at times I was definitely holding back, it was really fun not to race and get hung up on times and splits. Seeing the sense of accomplishment for these women totally took me back to why I do this, and what it's all about. It was really a fun experience and I'm so glad I was out there! Will post a RR later.

Looking forward to getting on my bike next week and enjoying some of our sunshine and pedaling away. Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Congrats to your friend and her training group.  She must have trained them all well!  nice recovery run for you

Very nice course.  The Rock and Roll format really isn't much my thing and it was definitely crowded (eased up once the marathoners split from the half marathoners).  Great fun.

I'm not sure of what time i started, but since I was racing as a 33 year old female, I think she boston qualified

Kyla, we had brunch at Jak's in Issaquah afterward.  I had a big plate of steak and eggs there (plus part of my wife's burger).  Great restaurant.  Yum!
2009-06-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2247507

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-06-27 5:37 PM [Congrats to your friend and her training group.  She must have trained them all well!  nice recovery run for you

Very nice course.  The Rock and Roll format really isn't much my thing and it was definitely crowded (eased up once the marathoners split from the half marathoners).  Great fun.

I'm not sure of what time i started, but since I was racing as a 33 year old female, I think she boston qualified

Kyla, we had brunch at Jak's in Issaquah afterward.  I had a big plate of steak and eggs there (plus part of my wife's burger).  Great restaurant.  Yum!

OK, I'm a 41-year-old female and I know what my BQ is, so if you are BQ'ing for a 33-year-old female just running a marathon on a lark, well, that's some fast running in my book. Nicely done!! Great training day!! Have not been to Jak's, but always good to know about a good breakfast joint so thanks for the tip!! And yeah, a race that big is not my scene so much either. I much prefer the smaller races. If you ever PLAN on doing a NW marathon, check out the North Olympic Discovery Marathon, which is a point-to-point from Port Angeles to Sequim. Gorgeous, small, tons of volunteers... a lovely run.
2009-06-27 9:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay another 100 mile ride in pre IM.  Temps topped out at 91F durring the ride which was not bad at all, should be warmer tomorrow.  I took 140 ish oz of fluids on the bike frame, of which I drank 132 durring the ride and took in 1300 calories of Infinit (in one bottle yum).  Man the bike handles differently with that much water on the frame, to say nothing of the hills.  I may have to take  smaller loops and replenish the water supply rather than adding more water as the temps climb.   

A mary as a long run for training prior to a double IM in one ish month.  Truely an amazing testiment to what someone can build to. 

It is great that so many folks got to finish that half mary and feel that sense of accomplishing somehting that was "impossible" 6 months ago.  It makes me sick to see all the dieting drugs and such on the TV.  Being active and accomplishing things, completing 5k's, 10k's, half mary's, full mary, etc. etc.,  does more than just get people healthy and to lose a few pounds, it makes them succesful.  There is no better medicine than successfully reaching a goal that was previously considered impossible... 

Alrighty then no more soap box.  Have fun out there, enjoy summer.  
2009-06-28 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2247617

User image

Master
San Francisco
kkcbelle - 2009-06-27 5:11 PM

OK, I'm a 41-year-old female and I know what my BQ is, so if you are BQ'ing for a 33-year-old female just running a marathon on a lark, well, that's some fast running in my book. Nicely done!! Great training day!! Have not been to Jak's, but always good to know about a good breakfast joint so thanks for the tip!! And yeah, a race that big is not my scene so much either. I much prefer the smaller races. If you ever PLAN on doing a NW marathon, check out the North Olympic Discovery Marathon, which is a point-to-point from Port Angeles to Sequim. Gorgeous, small, tons of volunteers... a lovely run.

results are up - 3:37:02, good enough for a 33 year old female to BQ (but BQ for my AG is 3:20...possible perhaps if I actually trained for one...), which is about 4 min. off my PR.  Not bad.

Jak's is a steakhouse (which is why i had to get the steak and DW had a burger).  Check out the reviews and try it out (if you're a meat eater though).
2009-06-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2247948

User image

Master
Congrats on the 3:37:02, Donato! It may not be fast for you, but it's pretty smokin' by my standards! Hope you enjoyed the wedding and had enough legs left to cut the rug.

OK, so Jak's is a steakhouse. Explains why I haven't been there, or won't go anytime in the future... I'm not so much into the red meat. But I'll send my husband there for a guy's night out sometime!

2009-06-30 1:07 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
My RR is up - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />
Of course, I still haven't done my alcatraz RR...
2009-07-01 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2253544

User image

Master
Made it to the track this evening for a workout. The local running club holds weekly track workouts, and my training pal Heidi and I always talk about going regularly but never seem to make it. Now that it's summer, we're really going to try. It's at 6pm, so can be a hard time for childcare, but we took the kids and they ran themselves ragged while we ran ourselves ragged, so it's all good.

I know that speed training is the ticket to being a faster runner... I just really don't do it! But it's time to step up that game, so here I go!

I also keep talking about being better about doing core workouts 2-3x a week -- I did do pushups and situps on Tuesday, and am very sore today! LOL!

Anybody got anything fun on tap for the 4th (i.e. races??)?
2009-07-02 8:46 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
I have another wedding to attend this weekend (sans marathon Wink ).  What's everyone else doing?

I just signed up for a couple more ultras including my first 100-miler.  Yikes!
2009-07-02 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2257833

User image

No races for me this weekend, just a long run and hopefully a nice swim at the aquatic center, which has been full of summer campers all week.

And sparklers with the kids Smile. Happy 4th, everybody! 
2009-07-02 10:05 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
enginerd - 2009-07-02 6:46 AM
I just signed up for a couple more ultras including my first 100-miler. Yikes!

So you're officially signed up for Javelina?

2009-07-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2258130

User image

Master
San Francisco
poweredbyfear - 2009-07-02 8:05 AM
enginerd - 2009-07-02 6:46 AM I just signed up for a couple more ultras including my first 100-miler. Yikes!
So you're officially signed up for Javelina?

Registered online last night.  Still need to send in my check for it to be official, but yeah.  Jessi K. (from when we did Angel Island 50K) is doing it too.
2009-07-02 4:31 PM

User image

Master
100-miler?? Egads!! And great for you! Where is it and when is it?

Enjoy the wedding! We are staying close to home. Swimming the kids in the lake tomorrow, local parade for the kids on Saturday (decorating bikes and ride -- fun!), BBQ, and let the kids stay up for fireworks for the first time in WA. Because of our long summer nights, fireworks shows don't START until 10pm, so keeping the kids up is sort-of a big deal, but we think they can handle it this year (and that we grown-ups can handle the day after which is really more important, isn't it!?). Hope to find some time for SBR but won't stress out about it until I have something firm on the calendar coming up!
2009-07-03 12:32 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm, 10 mile run with 6x 1 mile race pace with a 23 mile ride in 92 F with 20 mph winds today.  An easy race pace 3000 yard swim tomorrow and then 100 mile + bike on Saturday with a 17 mile run on Sunday.  That should make the weekend go by fast.

100 mile, um run... in one day? I hope it is not hot and they have beds along the route to rest in.
2009-07-03 9:30 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Javelina Jundred is in Arizona somewhere on Halloween!

120 mile solo bike ride for me today.  Whew!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27