BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Hendricks County
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

My semi-permanent trainer set up!  It's hard not to ride daily when I see it every time I watch TV!  

Edited by brizzadd 2012-01-14 10:55 AM

2012-01-14 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ooh, a polar plunge and an indoor tri- opposite ends of the comfort spectrum! Good luck, ladies!

I am icing my ankle; less than 24 hour before my 'A' race, and it has a goose egg- not good :-(.

Brad, that's a sweet set-up! Bachelor-pad chic!

Anyway, have a great weekend everybody!

Edited by tstl 2012-01-14 10:57 AM
2012-01-14 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Good luck to Andrea and Melanie!  There's a rec center here that does indoor tri's during the winter (2x a month) that I've thought about doing, just haven't signed up.  They have 2 distances - sprint and long sprint - but they're based on meters/miles not time. 

I'm getting ready to sign up for some races over the next couple of months - a 4miler in February, a 10k in March and the sprint tri in May.  Time for the nerves to set in Smile(they always do once I actually register, even if the race is months away!).

Have a great weekend!
Janet

2012-01-14 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3989885

User image

Veteran
Austin
Good luck Andrea - that sounds like a lot of fun!  Hope it goes/went well for you, can't wait to hear about it!
2012-01-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3990163

User image

Veteran
Austin
tstl - 2012-01-14 10:54 AM

I am icing my ankle; less than 24 hour before my 'A' race, and it has a goose egg- not good :-(.

I really hope you are able to race tomorrow after all your hard work.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

2012-01-14 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hey MMM'ers I'm still plugging away in Michigan.  My life has gone pretty crazy in the last few days and on-line time has really become rare.  I promise when things calm down I'll go back and read the posts in the forum and catch up with all of you crazies.  I start a new job next week and it is also an orchestra performance week so I know I'll be pretty busy.  Know that I am thinking of each and every one of you and will be back soon!!

2012-01-14 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3990389

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

jcarmody - 2012-01-14 3:51 PM Hey MMM'ers I'm still plugging away in Michigan.  My life has gone pretty crazy in the last few days and on-line time has really become rare.  I promise when things calm down I'll go back and read the posts in the forum and catch up with all of you crazies.  I start a new job next week and it is also an orchestra performance week so I know I'll be pretty busy.  Know that I am thinking of each and every one of you and will be back soon!!

Hang in there, Janet!  And good luck with the new job!!

2012-01-14 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3990418

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

New job AND an orchestra performance week???  You GO girl.... you KNOW you need that run to release some of the stress!!  What's the new job??  I don't worry about you Janet, you're one of the hard cores!

Today I was NOT hardcore and in spite of the perfect weather, did not get out and ride my bike like I had planned.  Hubby and I went out to lunch and did some shopping (new sports bras, not exciting but a MUST-have!) and by the time we got home, I was really feeling sleepy and not at all motivated to change clothes and head out.  Long run tomorrow (8 miles) and it should be GORGEOUS for a ride on Monday...  I think I am a fan of 4-day work weeks!

2012-01-14 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran

The indoor tri went well.  I'm happy with how it went overall. 

10 minute swim=560 yards (last year was 580 yards) OK as I have not been to the pool much at all.

30 minute cycle=7.4? miles (last year was 8.26 miles)  I did not push it as much as I wanted to RUN the run.

20 minute run=1.54 miles (last year 1.37 miles)  I am pleased with this as it shows my progress this year.  I felt pretty strong and increased my speed throughout the run.

2012-01-14 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3990558

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
rustymom - 2012-01-14 6:34 PM

10 minute swim=560 yards (last year was 580 yards) OK as I have not been to the pool much at all.

30 minute cycle=7.4? miles (last year was 8.26 miles)  I did not push it as much as I wanted to RUN the run.

20 minute run=1.54 miles (last year 1.37 miles)  I am pleased with this as it shows my progress this year.  I felt pretty strong and increased my speed throughout the run.

Nice job, Andrea!!  That must feel SO GREAT to have such an improvement on the run, woohoo!

2012-01-14 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Andrea - glad to hear you were pleased with your race, particularly the run. I am thinking about doing a very similar race in early March - will have to remember the bit about the wall lane.Best of luck to Melanie (you are one brave woman) and Tammy tomorrow! Congrats Janet on the new job! I am hoping to be able to post something similar real soon. Also, I have a trainer question. Is it supposed to take the rubber off the back tire? Behind my trainer I have amassed a collection of rubber shreds - is this normal? ~Michelle

2012-01-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3989996

hoffsquared - 2012-01-14 9:37 AM Good luck Andrea!I am getting mentally set for a polar plunge tomorrow. Looks like highs will be in the low 30's. Brrr. Not sure what the water temp will be.

Wow!!  That is super hardcore.  Good luck, Melanie!!  I'll be thinking warm thoughts for you. 

-Kelly

2012-01-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3990558

rustymom - 2012-01-14 6:34 PM

Congrats on a great race!! 

2012-01-15 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Melanie, I hope the plunge went well.  Please describe it for us wimps, LOL!
2012-01-15 2:42 PM

User image

Expert

Congrats on the tri results, Andrea! Melanie, I hope you survived the plunge! TammyTurtle, I hope your ankle is OK-- what an amazingly speedy time for an injured turtle!

Had an interesting chat with the lovely folk at my LRS today-- went in to ask about the fact that I sometimes get a pain in my inner right calf when I run in the newest shoes I own (into which I put some extra-supportive insoles to try and PREVENT this sort of thing). Turns out I'm probably over-correcting! So I've taken out the insoles and will try 'em again next week-- in the meantime, my foot's grateful for the fact that tomorrow's a rest day-- NO INJURIES, DARNIT!! *looks sternly at feet*

Enjoy the rest of your weekends, everyone!

Alex

2012-01-15 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Holy cow, the temps have plummeted here in New England!!  I had a 7am run planned for outside today but it was 5 degrees, so back to the treadmill for me!!

I actually like treadmill running for the most part, but those longer runs can get SO boring...  The weekend before my HM, I have a 10 mile run scheduled and I'll be out of town for a bachelorette party (my brother's fiancee)...  I'm getting too old for this!!....  and my options for the 10 miler are either TREADMILL or plot an outdoor run in Jersey City, which could be dicey!  I'll be staying with my sister who lives in Jersey City and in case you've never been there, you can make one wrong turn and suddenly be in a crazy sketchy/unsafe neighborhood.  So I'm thinking the treadmill might win again that weekend!

Anyway, hope you're all having a great LONG weekend!!  (Sorry, Alex!  You probably don't have the MLK holiday in Canada, do you?)

2012-01-15 6:22 PM

User image

Hendricks County

Alex, that last line is all you....

A

Edited by brizzadd 2012-01-15 6:23 PM
2012-01-15 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3991834

User image

Expert
Missouri
brizzadd - 2012-01-15 6:22 PM

Alex, that last line is all you....

A

I love this!  It includes most everything I hope to try for this year.  Thanks for posting it!

Andrea - congrats on your tri and the improved run time!

Janet - congrats on the new job.  I'm assuming orchestra week means you play an instrument?  Sorry if you mentioned it before.

It was a pretty nice day today after the snow we had this past week.  Temps were in the 40's and I considered going over to the HS track for my run - until I checked out the wind chill.  Gusts were up to 25mph and the "feels like" temp was in the lower 30's.  I can do normal temps in the 30's but I'm pretty much a wimp when it comes to cold wind.  So it was the TM for me.  It was good run overall although I did cut it a little short - too many interrruptions. 

Trainer question - since someone was asking about their rear tire (sorry, I can't remember who it was).  I know there are specific tires made for using on a trainer.  I just have my normal rear tire on.  I know I'll probably have to replace it before I start riding outside again but is it OK to leave the regular tire on?  Are there advantages to having a trainer-specific tire?  I've been doing just easy ride so far but want to start doing some harder workouts now that I'm a little more used to the trainer.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
Janet2Laughing

2012-01-16 12:37 AM
in reply to: #3989591

Extreme Veteran

Kristen - + 1 to everyone else.

Brad - love the trainer set up and love the idea of having it right in front of the tv

Janet - Great job on registering for the races

2012-01-16 12:48 AM
in reply to: #3990389

Extreme Veteran

congrats on the new job. What do you play in the orchestra?

Hilde - you took Hubby bra shopping? I'm sure you'll get the bike ride in eventually

Andrea - great job on the tri - especially the run.

Alex - glad you got the foot issues sorted

Kristen - Can you hook up with another runner - or even cyclist - when you go to NJ who will keep you in the right neighbourhood if you run outside? Or can you program the map on to something to tell you where to go?

Me - I'm keeping up to date with my push up challenge - you have to do the number of push ups each day that have gone by for the year - although I'm mainly diong bench style at the moment. Otherwise I'm on rest days til I get my meds sorted since I end up with bad headaches without them.

2012-01-16 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3992288

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Brad, LOVE the poster and it has "Alex" written all over it... audiacity, really???!

Trainer tires... yes it is perfectly okay to leave your regular tire on to use the trainer, but it will wear it down.  They do make specific trainer tires that will supposedly last forever, but you CANNOT ride with it outside so if you by chance had a nice day, you'd have to change it.  So far the weather here has been pretty good and I've been able to get outside.  If it looks like I have to use the trainer for a good while, I plan on putting on an old tire, actually the stock tire that came with the bike.  I will still be able to ride outside with it, but OF COURSE, will change back to the color matching one before a race, ha ha!  I always thought it would be cool to buy a cheapie wheel with cassette that I could permanently mount with a trainer tire and just change out the whole back wheel, but I"m cheap, so haven't done that.

Suzie, I didn't specifically take hubby bra shopping (oh the thought!), we were at the local sports store and I found the brand I like and already knew my size... and they were only $10 each, compared to Nike, Adidas, UnderArmour, Reebok bras that go for $25+...  When you are doing double days, you go through a LOT of them, so I picked up 5.

Holiday here for us, I guess some of you aren't so lucky.  I think we have a holiday every month... Jan is MLK day, Feb. is President's Day, March has a week off for Spring Break, April has Good Friday, then a loooooooong stretch until Memorial Day at the very end of May, and finally the last week of school, we end June 1st!!  Really nice to have that extra day, really helps rejuvenate us.

Kristen, I can't even fathom the thought of running 10 miles on the treadmill!!  But definitely better than some of the neighborhoods in New Jersey, ha ha!  We lived at Ft. Dix for 3 years, and loved it there.

Have a good week everyone, off to check on y'all....

2012-01-16 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Brad, I disagree. It's not the last LINE that's all Alex, it's the whole damn thing!

And Kristen, I am the queen of the long TM runs. I was dumb enough to sign up for a fall marathon, which meant running through a Phoenix summer (!), so I did my 18 miler and half of my 20 miler on the TM! It wasn't so bad; you get yourself into kindof a zen state and watch multiple movies, and before you know it, it's done! It was also a lot less wear and tear on my legs- recovery from those runs was so much quicker! I have to get in a 'TM state of mind' in the summer, though- right now, you couldn't pay me to get near the thing!

2012-01-16 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Day one on the new job.  Same company, but now I'm the Director of Information Systems.  Before I was the Programming Manager.  I now have an office and it has an actual door!  I'm excited about the new challenges, but since it is the same company I am pretty confident that I will be able to pull it off!

For those of you who asked... I plan trombone in a community orchestra.  Orchestra week means 2 rehearsals and 2 performances.  Its a lot to pack into a week along with everything else.

2012-01-16 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

This is what I did yesterday.  Polar plunge.  12F wind chill.

(That was fun small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
That was fun small.jpg (25KB - 8 downloads)
2012-01-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3993124

User image

Extreme Veteran

Melanie, OMG. Just, OMG. I think my heart would stop. You are a brave, crazy woman!

Janet, congrats on the new position and the new office. I am sure you will rock it!

One day post-race, my ankle is still doing pretty well. A little purple, but no more painful or swollen than it was before the race, so I think I got away with that one. I wore an elastic ankle brace, and it felt very supported. I'm thinking of signing up for another local HM next month with a couple of friends (provided I can talk them into it) to just run one for fun (and the medal!).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61