BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-25 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4171271

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED
kenj - 2012-04-25 4:07 AM

Good morning gang! Thanks for the well wishes, I am sure it is just precautionary and maybe a little of me being impatient, I have that tendency. Embarassed I will continue with the PT, etc.

How is everyone's training going?  I know for those of us in the northeast, at least I am, the early nice weather spoiled us and now we are dealing with colder than normal and wet weather.  Kind of frustrating.

Ice, you bring up a good point on the running, it is also true with the bike.  The best bang for the buck to improve your performance (besides consistently smart training) is to drop your weight.  Congratulations on you success and smart weight loss. 

Ken, I REALLY hope your  CT turns out well! 

Training is going good for me.  Our weather here stinks too.  It's been 40's and 50's here but it's been extremely windy for what seems like a month.  It really sucks to be outside!  But I've been getting out on the bike and running in it anyhow.  It's kind of embarassing to me to post those recent avg speeds on my training log! LOL  Last weekend, one time we turned into the wind, we were cranking at 400w and going 14mph!!!!  I'm supposed to be in taper right now, for my Half Marathon.  So I'm trying not to concern myself with the bike/swim.  With the pollen levels this year I've been getting sinus infections the second I go to the pool anyhow.  So I'm planning on getting back to that after the race and not risk getting sick.  I'm still doing 2-3 bikes per week, but listening to my body and erroring on the side of rest during taper.  Last night, I got home and set up my bike for a trainer ride and fell asleep on the couch next to my bike! hahahahaha!! LOL  I had to work some nights this week so I was a little tired.  I canned the workout, didn't stress about it, and figure I'll get back at it today!

Nice work on all the races over the weekend!  You guys/girls all did great!

Happy training this week everyone!

2012-04-25 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4171498

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2012-04-25 7:59 AM
robingray_260 - 2012-04-24 4:00 PM
Meulen - 2012-04-24 3:58 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-04-24 3:56 PM

I had a TT test in the pool today.  I sooooo did not want to do this after a sleepless night last night.  But I did it (which I am happy about in and of itself) and happy with the pacing and results.  Though I don't know if I will be able to swim at my new T-pace without a lot of suffering Cool

Results: 3x300 all out w/ 30" rest = 1) 4:11 2) 4:12 3) 4:13 Avg 300 = 4:12 = Tpace of 1:24/100 yd

I recently purchased "swim workouts for triathletes" which uses the Tpace to set the pace of the workouts.  I really like the workouts and plan on using the Oly/HIM 12 week training plan.  I think it will be good for me as I don't like the BT swim workouts and these workouts are definately challenging!

HOLY CRAP!!! am I jealous of your swim times!!!

Way to go Robin!

If it makes you feel any better Brian - I almost threw up in the pool and was practically hyperventilating by the end. very very tired now.

Not really!!! LOL   Seriously Robin I'm impressed!  You really inspire me.  I just learned to swim when I started triathlon.  My first tri was a pool swim and I walked the lane for half the swim.  Considering it was only a month or two before that I couldn't make it accross a 25m pool I was surprised I did it at all!  I spend lots and lots of time on the bike/run.  Cycling is my first love really.  It's where fitness all started for me and I have a weak spot for fancy bikes!   Running came natural to me after I lost weight.  My body type, long leg/short torso, really was made for running.  I went from 10min/miles to sub 7min/miles, in races, in no time at all.  I was really lucky.  I realize that swimming for me is just going to take the time to focus on it.  Getting to the pool is waaaaaaaay more inconvenient to me than it is to jump on a trainer or treadmill at home or steps from my office chair.  I think you just inspired me to make a long term plan of focussing on my swim over the next winter.

That's awesome Robin - great job.

Brian,

I'm basically in the same boat that you were in.  Not too far beyond that yet.  It's inspiring to know that one can get to where you are from where we started.

2012-04-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4171833

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
russrisher - 2012-04-25 9:48 AM
Meulen - 2012-04-25 7:59 AM
robingray_260 - 2012-04-24 4:00 PM
Meulen - 2012-04-24 3:58 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-04-24 3:56 PM

I had a TT test in the pool today.  I sooooo did not want to do this after a sleepless night last night.  But I did it (which I am happy about in and of itself) and happy with the pacing and results.  Though I don't know if I will be able to swim at my new T-pace without a lot of suffering Cool

Results: 3x300 all out w/ 30" rest = 1) 4:11 2) 4:12 3) 4:13 Avg 300 = 4:12 = Tpace of 1:24/100 yd

I recently purchased "swim workouts for triathletes" which uses the Tpace to set the pace of the workouts.  I really like the workouts and plan on using the Oly/HIM 12 week training plan.  I think it will be good for me as I don't like the BT swim workouts and these workouts are definately challenging!

HOLY CRAP!!! am I jealous of your swim times!!!

Way to go Robin!

If it makes you feel any better Brian - I almost threw up in the pool and was practically hyperventilating by the end. very very tired now.

Not really!!! LOL   Seriously Robin I'm impressed!  You really inspire me.  I just learned to swim when I started triathlon.  My first tri was a pool swim and I walked the lane for half the swim.  Considering it was only a month or two before that I couldn't make it accross a 25m pool I was surprised I did it at all!  I spend lots and lots of time on the bike/run.  Cycling is my first love really.  It's where fitness all started for me and I have a weak spot for fancy bikes!   Running came natural to me after I lost weight.  My body type, long leg/short torso, really was made for running.  I went from 10min/miles to sub 7min/miles, in races, in no time at all.  I was really lucky.  I realize that swimming for me is just going to take the time to focus on it.  Getting to the pool is waaaaaaaay more inconvenient to me than it is to jump on a trainer or treadmill at home or steps from my office chair.  I think you just inspired me to make a long term plan of focussing on my swim over the next winter.

That's awesome Robin - great job.

Brian,

I'm basically in the same boat that you were in.  Not too far beyond that yet.  It's inspiring to know that one can get to where you are from where we started.

Thanks Russ, I have a great swim coach and masters classes to thank for that!  I can't tell you guys enough how much of a differenct that made.  I know I'm down on my local masters classes now because of crappy coaching/leadership, but that first coach I had was incredible and gave me lots of individual attention.  I can't recommend that enough for people that have trouble swimming!

Now......if only I can keep from getting the sinus infections!!!!!

2012-04-25 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4124117

User image

Master
Sin City

Way to go Robin and Brian!!

That reminds me, in a couple weeks I start my little build before starting the HIM plan (Bike is no problem, the swim and the run I need to build up slowly from 20-30 min runs to 30-50 min runs).  Should I do the swim TT or wait after a month or two to do the TT?   I won't have a lot of swim training if I do it before starting the HIM plan.

Bleh - last two weeks, the weather has turned EXCELLENT, just the right temperature to go out for a run at midday. On Saturday the Sun Gods turned on the heat and now it's awful to do anything mid-morning all the way to the evening. Time to start putting in runs at 6-7am.

2012-04-25 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4171271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2012-04-25 4:07 AM

Good morning gang! Thanks for the well wishes, I am sure it is just precautionary and maybe a little of me being impatient, I have that tendency. Embarassed I will continue with the PT, etc.

How is everyone's training going?  I know for those of us in the northeast, at least I am, the early nice weather spoiled us and now we are dealing with colder than normal and wet weather.  Kind of frustrating.

Ice, you bring up a good point on the running, it is also true with the bike.  The best bang for the buck to improve your performance (besides consistently smart training) is to drop your weight.  Congratulations on you success and smart weight loss. 

Hoping for the best news possible from you MRI.  

Yes weight loss rocks.  I was in the 220s for IronMan because I thought I needed the extra for energy late in the game and upper body strength.  But I decided to try to get down this year and see what happens with time.  I should be handling nutrition on the course, not carrying it up the damn hills with me    Right now I am as low as I've been since 2010 when I did a half IronMan but then I had relatively little upper body strength.  Now, the k-bells are making me very strong in the pull for the swim and giving me a stronger core to work from for everything. 

2012-04-25 12:32 PM

User image

Maine

Everyone of you should be damn proud of your achievements and times! I'm a mere 4 weeks into training (running & biking...no pool/lake yet), first time in 20 years and first time for tri's, my run went from 20 min./mile down to 17 min./mile. I know, pathetic, but I'll keep plugging away until that improves.

Anyway, it took me almost three days to catch up on all posts. You've all been quite inspiring and I look forward to my time improvements! Great job everyone!!! Wink

Lynda

2012-04-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4172014

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-25 11:29 AM

That reminds me, in a couple weeks I start my little build before starting the HIM plan (Bike is no problem, the swim and the run I need to build up slowly from 20-30 min runs to 30-50 min runs).  Should I do the swim TT or wait after a month or two to do the TT?   I won't have a lot of swim training if I do it before starting the HIM plan.

Bleh - last two weeks, the weather has turned EXCELLENT, just the right temperature to go out for a run at midday. On Saturday the Sun Gods turned on the heat and now it's awful to do anything mid-morning all the way to the evening. Time to start putting in runs at 6-7am.

DJ, I wouldn't worry about the swim TT at this point.  Maybe substitute it in a few weeks into the HIM training.  You can do the swim workouts on perceived effort until then, just be honest with yourself on the effort and you will be fine.

Nothing better than an early morning run watching the world come to life around you! Smile

2012-04-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4172398

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Lynie13 - 2012-04-25 1:32 PM

Everyone of you should be damn proud of your achievements and times! I'm a mere 4 weeks into training (running & biking...no pool/lake yet), first time in 20 years and first time for tri's, my run went from 20 min./mile down to 17 min./mile. I know, pathetic, but I'll keep plugging away until that improves.

Anyway, it took me almost three days to catch up on all posts. You've all been quite inspiring and I look forward to my time improvements! Great job everyone!!! Wink

Lynda

We all started slow Lynda, or at least most of us!  Good for you taking the first steps!

2012-04-25 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

Carla and DJ, great job on your races... Carla, I am so impressed that you pressed on despite the conditions.  That video of the wind is ridiculous.

I'm back from Vegas, tired.  But we had an awesome time.  I'm out a bit of money and gained a few pounds and didn't train at all.  But I think that's just what I needed to recharge my batteries to get through the last two months of the school. 

I had my first training session this morning since Friday.  And honestly, I felt really good.  I was happy to start to be 'back on the wagon' with my training and eating right.

And even after all the horrible eating and drinking and not exercising this weekend, I only gained 2ish pounds.  So I'll take it. 

2012-04-25 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Lynie13 - 2012-04-25 10:32 AM

my run went from 20 min./mile down to 17 min./mile.

Lynda- spend isn't important... just that you are going is what counts!

2012-04-25 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Lynie13 - 2012-04-25 12:32 PM

Lynda

Awesome Lynda!  Embrace your achievements - and let us know about them!  Because I am inspired by everyone here (including you!)! Going from 20 min/mile to 17 min/mile is fantastic - yeah!!!!!

2012-04-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4172502

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-04-25 2:00 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-25 11:29 AM

DJ, I wouldn't worry about the swim TT at this point.  Maybe substitute it in a few weeks into the HIM training.  You can do the swim workouts on perceived effort until then, just be honest with yourself on the effort and you will be fine.

Nothing better than an early morning run watching the world come to life around you! Smile

+1  Cool 

2012-04-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4172014

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-25 10:29 AM

That depends on what you are going to do with the results.  If it is to get a gauge on your times then I agree with Ken - do it when you are ready.  If however, you plan on using the time from the TT as a basis for your future workouts then I would say do it now (and again in another month!). Your TT time (tpace) can be used as an estimate for your lactate threshold (similar to the bike I think - though I haven't done a bike TT yet!) and can be used to create swim sets with a a time interval (i.e. 100's on 2:00) for LT work vs. a simple rest inteval (i.e. 20"rest between 100's). A lot to be said for keeping it simple though and going by RPE, improvements will happen either way!

2012-04-25 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

The weather here has been FANTASTIC - I think I'm dueWink  Sunny highs in the lower 50's and about 16 hours on sunlight!

2012-04-25 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Lynda

Great job on getting started..Remember no matter how slow you are, you are still lapping the people on the couch..

2012-04-25 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Got a nice ride in tonite, just really went out to spin the legs,boy the wind was rough here in Georgia..Looking to do a short open water swim with a short run tomorrow...

2012-04-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4172831

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-04-25 3:26 PM

The weather here has been FANTASTIC - I think I'm dueWink  Sunny highs in the lower 50's and about 16 hours on sunlight!

Glad it is is heading in the right direction Robin, enjoy getting out and playing in the nice weather!

2012-04-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4173476

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

shake-n-bake - 2012-04-25 8:48 PM Got a nice ride in tonite, just really went out to spin the legs,boy the wind was rough here in Georgia..Looking to do a short open water swim with a short run tomorrow...

Good work Tim!  It seems the winds have been an issue all over this spring!  Look on the brightside, it will make you stronger!

2012-04-26 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Hit the pool for a bit this morning, not swimming like I would like, but no reason I can't work on some drills for body position and get some kicking in.  Felt good to be in the water. 

Heading out of town again for this afternoon and tomorrow.  Unfortunately I wont have a lot of time or access to the internet but I will be able to from the Hotel tonight to catch up with everyone.

Keep talking about your training!

2012-04-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4174615

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-04-26 10:37 AM

shake-n-bake - 2012-04-25 8:48 PM Got a nice ride in tonite, just really went out to spin the legs,boy the wind was rough here in Georgia..Looking to do a short open water swim with a short run tomorrow...

Good work Tim!  It seems the winds have been an issue all over this spring!  Look on the brightside, it will make you stronger!

Last night, working on the trainer, I noticed how much easier it was to work at 100-110% FTP.  I'm positive it's because all the time I've spent grinding around 300 watts into headwinds already this season!!

2012-04-26 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hey Ken,

Can you give me the run down on how you rotate your running shoes?

I think I need to get a few pairs into a rotation and not just beat the hell out of one pair then replace them. Long time I don't think its a smart strategy trying to break in shoes before a race. Embarassed

2012-04-26 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4173473

User image

Master
Sin City
shake-n-bake - 2012-04-25 5:45 PM

Lynda

Great job on getting started..Remember no matter how slow you are, you are still lapping the people on the couch..

True! That was my mantra when I started running two years ago..at 14:00 pace. Now I can knock out 10:00s and faster.  You'll get there!!

2012-04-26 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

I'm SUCH a ham! LOL. 

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/524?bib=1042

Enjoy!

Feels weird that my next tri is next weekend! Now I know my mistakes, I can fix it easily. I'll be visiting the bike/run course twice prior to get the feel of the run course. I know the bike course, so I'm not worried about that. The run course was changed, and it's a little bit more hillier than what I'm used to, but I should be okay if I don't try too hard!  I *should* do better than last year's fiasco and better than 41:xx run. :-)

2012-04-26 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4174665

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2012-04-26 11:53 AM

Hey Ken,

Can you give me the run down on how you rotate your running shoes?

I think I need to get a few pairs into a rotation and not just beat the hell out of one pair then replace them. Long time I don't think its a smart strategy trying to break in shoes before a race. Embarassed

I usually have 3 to 4 pairs in a rotation, 1 pair is usually the ones I can wear without socks for 10K or shorter distances.  I don't train in this pair a lot, but will a little just so my feet are used to them.

Otherwise, I try not to wear the same pair more than every other day if I am running every day (which is when I need 3 pairs of trainers).  I find that wearing the same pair everyday just doesn't allow the support to rebound and I can feel it in my feet.  I usually get about 350 miles out of a pair, and the older pair gets used mostly for short runs.  Even though my closet looks like Imelda Marcos of running shoes, it doesn't cost me any more since I still get the same mileage out of them as I would wearing one pair till they die (maybe more).

One other tip, since the manufacturers like to upgrade and make changes to their shoe line ups (far too often), when I get a model I like, I tend to load up with them from the online retailers, especially if they have a sale.  I have been with the Saucony Omni since the 6 model, currently they are on the Omni 10.  Some I liked, some not as much but I couldn't find anything I liked better.  The 10 is pretty good so I will probably stock up!

Also, they say that the new shoes don't need breaking in and for the most part I agree, but.... I wouldn't recommend wearing a new pair for a race.  But if you can get 20 - 30 miles into a pair, maybe a bit more that should be sufficient.

2012-04-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4174780

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-26 12:47 PM

I'm SUCH a ham! LOL. 

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/524?bib=1042

Enjoy!

Feels weird that my next tri is next weekend! Now I know my mistakes, I can fix it easily. I'll be visiting the bike/run course twice prior to get the feel of the run course. I know the bike course, so I'm not worried about that. The run course was changed, and it's a little bit more hillier than what I'm used to, but I should be okay if I don't try too hard!  I *should* do better than last year's fiasco and better than 41:xx run. :-)

Nice pictures DJ! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78