BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4226993

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
reecealan - 2012-05-24 10:41 AM

G'day Manatees,

Swam a few thousand yards last night, kicks and 1 arm drills.  I found out my pace per 100 yards with one arm is around 2:12 or so (SCY with a lowsey flip turn).  Pretty satisfied with that.  Went to spin class Monday also so my first two workouts since the crash, whohooo.

Thank you so much for your inspires and kind thoughts, even though I'm not a "Chatty Cathy" here they mean a lot to me.

It's been 2.5 weeks since my fall and I'm still tender on my right side so I don't see running in my near future.  Should I see a sports medicine doc.?  Nothing shows up in X-ray so it's just tissue damage etc. right?

So glad that you are able to get some workouts in.  I'm sure that you've been climbing the walls.  DO NOT POST YOUR INJURED SWIM TIME.  It only hurts my feelings!

It might not be bad to see a sports doc to see if you can get into physical therapy.  I mean, just having the right exercises and stretches to do to keep things mobile can be beneficial, I think.

2012-05-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4227016

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 9:47 AM

G'day Manatees,

Swam a few thousand yards last night, kicks and 1 arm drills.  I found out my pace per 100 yards with one arm is around 2:12 or so (SCY with a lowsey flip turn).  Pretty satisfied with that.  Went to spin class Monday also so my first two workouts since the crash, whohooo.

Thank you so much for your inspires and kind thoughts, even though I'm not a "Chatty Cathy" here they mean a lot to me.

It's been 2.5 weeks since my fall and I'm still tender on my right side so I don't see running in my near future.  Should I see a sports medicine doc.?  Nothing shows up in X-ray so it's just tissue damage etc. right?

So glad that you are able to get some workouts in.  I'm sure that you've been climbing the walls.  DO NOT POST YOUR INJURED SWIM TIME.  It only hurts my feelings!

It might not be bad to see a sports doc to see if you can get into physical therapy.  I mean, just having the right exercises and stretches to do to keep things mobile can be beneficial, I think.

Is PT stuff usually covered by insurance?  I mean, I'm sure I'll heal up eventually but man, it's going slower than I want.

2012-05-24 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4227034

User image

Master
Orlando
reecealan - 2012-05-24 9:55 AM

G'day Manatees,

Is PT stuff usually covered by insurance?  I mean, I'm sure I'll heal up eventually but man, it's going slower than I want.

Don't know what type of insurance you have, but if a Dr refers for PT my insurance covers it.

2012-05-24 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
reecealan - 2012-05-24 10:55 AM

G'day Manatees,

As with many things insurance related, it depends on the plan. Some seem to allow a certain amount of PT time, others seem to allow your GP to prescribe it "as needed". You'd have to dig through the morass of information. Or, if you are on a corp plan, hit up the HR people for that info, they may have that info more available to them.
2012-05-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4227016

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 10:47 AM

G'day Manatees,

I agree with Janyne, please don't post your injured swim times. Your times while injured make mine look even worse. More evidence that I reallllly need to work on the swim.
2012-05-24 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My insurance covers PT *but* I need a referral.  You will want to check your co-pay on it before pursuing it. 

2012-05-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4227005

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-24 10:43 AM

TriAya - 2012-05-23 5:54 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 4:45 AM
TriAya - 2012-05-23 4:38 PM

Dude, she's just keeping you on your toes. No relaxing for you!

Oh and eff Phil Phillips one Dave Mathews is enough, thank you. 

That is exactly what I thought and I don't even like Dave Matthews that much. Like, yes. That much, no.

He's going to do well whether he wins or not, though. And I do think he deserves to do well, as he's very talented and hardworking and blah, blah, blah. I don't think he deserves to NOT win ... he just doesn't deserve to win as much as Jessica does ... because ...

Jessica can actually sing

That's the problem with AI these days.  I stopped watching mid-last season b/c the people who got voted off were so good and the people left sucked.  It's because it's teeny bopper girls voting who like the boys (even though these poor young girls have not yet learned to identify an attractive man...then again, the guys I'm talking about are probably 12 years younger than me and barely adults, so maybe I should stop assessing their looks! lol!). THink about, when is the last time a girl won Idol? And there have definitely been some amazing female vocalists.  I have given this too much thought, I think I just killed some brain cells. D'oh!

After playing in a band and singing for the last 10 years, I have a couple of issues with AI. #1) No one seems to play an instrument. This is not really a big deal, unless you get out on the road and earn your stripes. Which leads to #2) There are tons of great (and I do mean GREAT) talented singers on this planet that would never get a shot on AI. They don't have the look, the age, the votes, etc. I've played with complete unknowns that blew me away. Talent oozing out of their pores. But they wouldn't stand a shot on AI. So, while I understand it is about the package, I just can't get past my issues with it. And when you look at who succeeds after the show, you have to figure that there is more going on then just the package that is presented on the show, for those that succeed. Pickler finished where? Daughtry was where when that season was over? Oh yeah, Kelly Clarkson won season 1. How far would she go in the current season's? So, while the kids voting have some influence on the final standings, the careers that shake out afterwards seem to be more about the whole package (talent, work ethic, etc) and not the package presented on the show (voice, look, etc).
2012-05-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4227059

User image

Master
cdban66 - 2012-05-24 8:04 AM
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 10:47 AM

G'day Manatees,

I agree with Janyne, please don't post your injured swim times. Your times while injured make mine look even worse. More evidence that I reallllly need to work on the swim.

Thirded.  Your injured, one-arm swim time is the same pace per 100Y as my race on Monday. Wink Glad you are able to get some workouts in though.

Edited by bcraht 2012-05-24 11:04 AM
2012-05-24 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Need some advice:  Yesterday, at the end of my swim workout, we were doing some all out 50's with fins.  On the last one, I had a calf cramp, bad enough that I had to stop, get the fin off, and float on my back (I was in the deep end).  I got to the edge of the pool and stretched it out.  I get calf cramps on a semi-regular basis.  I biked last night on the trainer, felt ok, but was sore when stretching last night.  This morning it is really sore, like I had to limp getting out of bed, and sore to walk and touch.  So my question: do I rest, or get my run in later to loosen it up?  Ice or heat?  I have had soreness the next day after a cramp, but not to this extent.  Thanks!!
2012-05-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4227096

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-05-24 10:17 AM

That is exactly what I thought and I don't even like Dave Matthews that much. Like, yes. That much, no.

He's going to do well whether he wins or not, though. And I do think he deserves to do well, as he's very talented and hardworking and blah, blah, blah. I don't think he deserves to NOT win ... he just doesn't deserve to win as much as Jessica does ... because ...

That's the problem with AI these days.  I stopped watching mid-last season b/c the people who got voted off were so good and the people left sucked.  It's because it's teeny bopper girls voting who like the boys (even though these poor young girls have not yet learned to identify an attractive man...then again, the guys I'm talking about are probably 12 years younger than me and barely adults, so maybe I should stop assessing their looks! lol!). THink about, when is the last time a girl won Idol? And there have definitely been some amazing female vocalists.  I have given this too much thought, I think I just killed some brain cells. D'oh!

After playing in a band and singing for the last 10 years, I have a couple of issues with AI. #1) No one seems to play an instrument. This is not really a big deal, unless you get out on the road and earn your stripes. Which leads to #2) There are tons of great (and I do mean GREAT) talented singers on this planet that would never get a shot on AI. They don't have the look, the age, the votes, etc. I've played with complete unknowns that blew me away. Talent oozing out of their pores. But they wouldn't stand a shot on AI. So, while I understand it is about the package, I just can't get past my issues with it. And when you look at who succeeds after the show, you have to figure that there is more going on then just the package that is presented on the show, for those that succeed. Pickler finished where? Daughtry was where when that season was over? Oh yeah, Kelly Clarkson won season 1. How far would she go in the current season's? So, while the kids voting have some influence on the final standings, the careers that shake out afterwards seem to be more about the whole package (talent, work ethic, etc) and not the package presented on the show (voice, look, etc).

Well, in terms of the instrument thing I am not sure I agree. I think most artists DO play an instrument, they are just choosing to focus on their strong suit (the vocals) which AI is all about. In terms of AI I think they de-emphasize the instrument so as to not distract from the vocals, as it is ultimately a vocalist competition.  Even if it is the case, that an artist can do 'everything' they often just focus on one thing. Look at Lady Gaga. Have you seen her on the piano? She was a classically trained pianist but that is absolutely not why she is famous. How about Dave Grohl? An amazingly talented drummer and now a guitarist but I believe he is much better-known for the vocalist/frontman part. 

When it comes to winning AI, or being successful I think it's a mixed bag just like it is with all musicians...or artists in general. Being talented doesn't mean you are successful, and being successful doesn't mean you are talented. Winning AI is more or less a popularity contest but isn't that at least a portion of being successful in the industry? I believe AI is just another tool or platform for trying to make it in a very, very tough industry.

I totally agree with you about the whole package in terms of work ethic and not just the look and voice. 

2012-05-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4227066

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 10:06 AM

My insurance covers PT *but* I need a referral.  You will want to check your co-pay on it before pursuing it. 

Yeah, I think that is pretty standard. 

2012-05-24 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4227270

User image

Seattle

bcraht - 2012-05-24 11:17 AM Need some advice:  Yesterday, at the end of my swim workout, we were doing some all out 50's with fins.  On the last one, I had a calf cramp, bad enough that I had to stop, get the fin off, and float on my back (I was in the deep end).  I got to the edge of the pool and stretched it out.  I get calf cramps on a semi-regular basis.  I biked last night on the trainer, felt ok, but was sore when stretching last night.  This morning it is really sore, like I had to limp getting out of bed, and sore to walk and touch.  So my question: do I rest, or get my run in later to loosen it up?  Ice or heat?  I have had soreness the next day after a cramp, but not to this extent.  Thanks!!

Hummm, well, the "all out" is obviously an indicator that you did something that you don't always do. I can run every day but unless I go "all out" I don't experience any soreness.

I don't think ice/heat is EVER a bad plan so I would start there. I think you also have to figure out if this is soreness or more of a actual injury kind of pain. If you would categorize it more as soreness, I would run and see if it loosens up. Be very careful though, and if it feels worse I would bag it.

If you think it's more of an injury kind of pain (think sprain, tear etc.) I would definitely not do the workout. 

*I'm sorry this isn't more specific but it's very dangerous for me to attempt to diagnose your pain level.

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-05-24 1:14 PM
2012-05-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4227342

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 12:52 PM

Well, in terms of the instrument thing I am not sure I agree. I think most artists DO play an instrument, they are just choosing to focus on their strong suit (the vocals) which AI is all about. In terms of AI I think they de-emphasize the instrument so as to not distract from the vocals, as it is ultimately a vocalist competition.  Even if it is the case, that an artist can do 'everything' they often just focus on one thing. Look at Lady Gaga. Have you seen her on the piano? She was a classically trained pianist but that is absolutely not why she is famous. How about Dave Grohl? An amazingly talented drummer and now a guitarist but I believe he is much better-known for the vocalist/frontman part. 

When it comes to winning AI, or being successful I think it's a mixed bag just like it is with all musicians...or artists in general. Being talented doesn't mean you are successful, and being successful doesn't mean you are talented. Winning AI is more or less a popularity contest but isn't that at least a portion of being successful in the industry? I believe AI is just another tool or platform for trying to make it in a very, very tough industry.

I totally agree with you about the whole package in terms of work ethic and not just the look and voice. 

I can't argue the instrument part, that is just my own leaning. And yeah, tough industry indeed. There are 1000's of people in it and we know such a small percentage. And I have to give you the talent and success part as well. It really is a crap shoot in many ways. I have always believed that hard work breeds success, and it seems like (I should emphasize "seems like") AI is a way around the hard work. Now, I don't know that for sure, and I'm sure for many of the folks on it, hard work has been an integral part of their career. But what we are presented with gives me a skewed view of the process.
2012-05-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4227693

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-05-24 2:24 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 12:52 PM

I can't argue the instrument part, that is just my own leaning. And yeah, tough industry indeed. There are 1000's of people in it and we know such a small percentage. And I have to give you the talent and success part as well. It really is a crap shoot in many ways. I have always believed that hard work breeds success, and it seems like (I should emphasize "seems like") AI is a way around the hard work. Now, I don't know that for sure, and I'm sure for many of the folks on it, hard work has been an integral part of their career. But what we are presented with gives me a skewed view of the process.

For sure! I guess it's just because something like music (or, once again, anything in the art field) is so subjective. 

Sorry Manatees, for once again getting off topic! Wink

2012-05-24 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4227521

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 11:06 AM

bcraht - 2012-05-24 11:17 AM Need some advice:  Yesterday, at the end of my swim workout, we were doing some all out 50's with fins.  On the last one, I had a calf cramp, bad enough that I had to stop, get the fin off, and float on my back (I was in the deep end).  I got to the edge of the pool and stretched it out.  I get calf cramps on a semi-regular basis.  I biked last night on the trainer, felt ok, but was sore when stretching last night.  This morning it is really sore, like I had to limp getting out of bed, and sore to walk and touch.  So my question: do I rest, or get my run in later to loosen it up?  Ice or heat?  I have had soreness the next day after a cramp, but not to this extent.  Thanks!!

Hummm, well, the "all out" is obviously an indicator that you did something that you don't always do. I can run every day but unless I go "all out" I don't experience any soreness.

I don't think ice/heat is EVER a bad plan so I would start there. I think you also have to figure out if this is soreness or more of a actual injury kind of pain. If you would categorize it more as soreness, I would run and see if it loosens up. Be very careful though, and if it feels worse I would bag it.

If you think it's more of an injury kind of pain (think sprain, tear etc.) I would definitely not do the workout. 

*I'm sorry this isn't more specific but it's very dangerous for me to attempt to diagnose your pain level.

Ha, no need to apologize.  This is one of those posts where you hope someone will get out their crystal ball and tell you exactly what to do and what will happen.  I *feel* as though it is just post cramp soreness, but I *worry* that it may be an injury.  I've been icing, I'll see how it feels in a few hours.

Next question: who uses compression socks/sleeves, and do you find it helps avoid cramping?

2012-05-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4227736

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
bcraht - 2012-05-24 3:41 PM

Ha, no need to apologize.  This is one of those posts where you hope someone will get out their crystal ball and tell you exactly what to do and what will happen.  I *feel* as though it is just post cramp soreness, but I *worry* that it may be an injury.  I've been icing, I'll see how it feels in a few hours.

Next question: who uses compression socks/sleeves, and do you find it helps avoid cramping?

I was kind of hoping a Swimming Manatee (aka Yanti or, as it turns out, Reece the Wounded Swimming Manatee) would reply first but...

For me this happens if I try to go fast and push off too hard from the wall.  I don't feel like I am pushing off the wall exceptionally hard or even differently than normal but I'm almost certain that is what is happening.  My calves get tight.  Solution = foam roller/The Stick and think "smooth" when I turn.

As an aside, I do am open turn in the pool.  YMMV.

2012-05-24 2:58 PM

User image

Seattle
<---- Believe it or not, this Manatee *can* swim Wink
2012-05-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4227748

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 12:47 PM

I was kind of hoping a Swimming Manatee (aka Yanti or, as it turns out, Reece the Wounded Swimming Manatee) would reply first but...

For me this happens if I try to go fast and push off too hard from the wall.  I don't feel like I am pushing off the wall exceptionally hard or even differently than normal but I'm almost certain that is what is happening.  My calves get tight.  Solution = foam roller/The Stick and think "smooth" when I turn.

Thanks Janyne!  Yes, it was pushing off that did it, didn't help that I was wearing fins; I also do open turns.  I foam roller/tennis ball regularly.  I know that many say that calf cramps are a result of muscle fatigue, but I hope one day my muscles will be endurified enough Laughing.  Cause d@mn they hurt!

2012-05-24 3:03 PM

User image

Seattle
Endurified, hehehe I like that! 
2012-05-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4227736

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-05-24 2:41 PM

Had this twice from swimming - both times from putting fins on after the workout.  I now decline this offer.  Both times mine turned out to be a minor calf tear so a week off running.  I went straight to my Myotherapist for deep massage (yikes nearly vomited from the pain and definitely cried) - dry needling (yep same) then lots f stretching, foam roller massage and ice/heat - ice for the swelling heat for the pain!  Also took anti-inflammatories.

Compression socks, when I used to get shin splints regularly (marathon training) I turned to the socks - perfect.  I got an Orca pair and they are good (and don't look too ridiculous...!)

Fot both calf injuries I got from swimming I took one week off running  - cycling I kept up but no hills.  Myadvice if you are a calf cramper, don't put fins on at the end of a workout.

2012-05-24 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4227777

User image

Master
Orlando
bcraht - 2012-05-24 3:00 PM
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 12:47 PM

Thanks Janyne!  Yes, it was pushing off that did it, didn't help that I was wearing fins; I also do open turns.  I foam roller/tennis ball regularly.  I know that many say that calf cramps are a result of muscle fatigue, but I hope one day my muscles will be endurified enough Laughing.  Cause d@mn they hurt!

`

I often get cramps in my calves when I wear fins, especially if I haven't worn them in awhile.  Sometimes they are so severe that I have lingering soreness in the calf.  Not too long ago, I had the worse case ever - in both calves.  The calves were so sore afterward that the next day I had to walk backwards down stairs!  Luckily, most times I don't have any lingering soreness.  On the days I have had soreness I've just continued my normal activity (other than the backward stair thing).

Of course, you probably don't want to follow my example as I am 2.5 months into a hamstring injury that probably could have been resolved earlier if I had stopped running and biking sooner then I did

2012-05-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4227804

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2012-05-24 3:07 PM

Had this twice from swimming - both times from putting fins on after the workout.  I now decline this offer.  Both times mine turned out to be a minor calf tear so a week off running.  I went straight to my Myotherapist for deep massage (yikes nearly vomited from the pain and definitely cried) - dry needling (yep same) then lots f stretching, foam roller massage and ice/heat - ice for the swelling heat for the pain!  Also took anti-inflammatories.

Compression socks, when I used to get shin splints regularly (marathon training) I turned to the socks - perfect.  I got an Orca pair and they are good (and don't look too ridiculous...!)

Fot both calf injuries I got from swimming I took one week off running  - cycling I kept up but no hills.  Myadvice if you are a calf cramper, don't put fins on at the end of a workout.

Yeah, great advice. Not to mention, I believe the fins are even less of a productive tool for triathlon as they are for general swimming. 

2012-05-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4227812

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 3:11 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-24 3:07 PM

Yeah, great advice. Not to mention, I believe the fins are even less of a productive tool for triathlon as they are for general swimming. 

I am actually slower with fins than without!  i am apparently a good kicker but with fins I'm restricted somehow - bizarre but true....

2012-05-24 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4227773

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 3:58 PM <---- Believe it or not, this Manatee *can* swim Wink

I was not saying that you could not swim, I was saying that Yanti is the resident expert on the subject just as you are the resident expert on running.   I'm sure that you knew that but I just wanted to clarify. 

In my mind Salty = Running Goddess and Yanti = Mermaid

2012-05-24 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4228069

User image

Elite
jmkizer - 2012-05-24 6:15 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 3:58 PM

I was not saying that you could not swim, I was saying that Yanti is the resident expert on the subject just as you are the resident expert on running.   I'm sure that you knew that but I just wanted to clarify. 

In my mind Salty = Running Goddess and Yanti = Mermaid

Jo Baxas = sloth...just so we're clear!  That's my dream animal!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80