BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-05 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4563729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Burd - 2013-01-05 2:22 PM

HELP!  I have kind of a major problem that just surfaced...went to the pool today and found when I go to put my head in the water I get a mini panic attack (don't know how else to describe it).

About 25+ years ago I swam in high school.  In '98 I used to dive every other weekend.  However roughly 10 years ago I tried to dive in Grand Cayman but had the same thing happen.  I thought it was because of the cold water.  Obviously I was wrong.

I have no idea when or how this started but it needs to be fixed.  I managed to get in 4x50 freestyle with my head above the water.  I thought maybe if I swim some I can get my head relaxed since I can swim just fine.  Well not fine or I would be able to put my face in the water. Cry

I'm in a bad spot here folks any advise would be great.  I can't take a xanax before I get in the pool I'll sink, haha.

Take your son swimming with you. No laps, nothing, just or fun. Get your mind off of putting your face in the water. Tell your son he is "your coach" and just have fun. Gotta stop focusing on it. If that doesn't work by the end of March I will be down there to crack the whip(for beer of course!)

2013-01-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4563820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-05 3:55 PM
kevinbe - 2013-01-05 3:51 PM

Killed it!  mile 1 was at a 6:27.  4.15 miles at a 7:02/mi pace.  9.5 miles tomorrow.

I enjoyed an imperial IPA out of Ontario Or, last night.  It was fantastic at 9% ABV.  I think I'll throw in a local Winter Brew from NO-LI tonight.

Prost!

Sweet run!

I did 100' @ 1 degree SLUG (Slow Long Uphill Grind) run on the dreadmill today.  8:11 m/m overall, so very happy with that.

Now I'm enjoying some suds with my better half!  Had half an IPA from a solar powered brewery, from a can - would not recommend that one.  Now enjoying a very nice Lagunitas Maximus - fire is blazing, dogs are snoozing, kids are playing - and we're having some veeeery nice beer.  Good day.

Nice run!
Matt 

Edit: Now enjoying splitting a Hoponius Union (and India Pale Lager - which is unique) with Kim.  This is a surprisingly nice beer - very hoppy, but lagered, so crisp.  Kind of the best of both worlds!

Plus, there's a vegetable cheese pie roasting in the oven and some chicken for the grill - this is a VERY good day, indeed!

Enjoy the Maximus...I was at the liquor store the other day...$21CAD for a 6pk....free health care, free health care, I keep saying to myself.
2013-01-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4563948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
thor67 - 2013-01-05 7:37 PM
Burd - 2013-01-05 2:22 PM

HELP!  I have kind of a major problem that just surfaced...went to the pool today and found when I go to put my head in the water I get a mini panic attack (don't know how else to describe it).

About 25+ years ago I swam in high school.  In '98 I used to dive every other weekend.  However roughly 10 years ago I tried to dive in Grand Cayman but had the same thing happen.  I thought it was because of the cold water.  Obviously I was wrong.

I have no idea when or how this started but it needs to be fixed.  I managed to get in 4x50 freestyle with my head above the water.  I thought maybe if I swim some I can get my head relaxed since I can swim just fine.  Well not fine or I would be able to put my face in the water. Cry

I'm in a bad spot here folks any advise would be great.  I can't take a xanax before I get in the pool I'll sink, haha.

Take your son swimming with you. No laps, nothing, just or fun. Get your mind off of putting your face in the water. Tell your son he is "your coach" and just have fun. Gotta stop focusing on it. If that doesn't work by the end of March I will be down there to crack the whip(for beer of course!)

Sounds like a plan.  I can get some family time in there which makes it a double bonus.

Thanks everyone!

2013-01-05 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-05 4:55 PM

Killed it!  mile 1 was at a 6:27.  4.15 miles at a 7:02/mi pace.  9.5 miles tomorrow.

I enjoyed an imperial IPA out of Ontario Or, last night.  It was fantastic at 9% ABV.  I think I'll throw in a local Winter Brew from NO-LI tonight.

Prost!

Sweet run!

I did 100' @ 1 degree SLUG (Slow Long Uphill Grind) run on the dreadmill today.  8:11 m/m overall, so very happy with that.

Now I'm enjoying some suds with my better half!  Had half an IPA from a solar powered brewery, from a can - would not recommend that one.  Now enjoying a very nice Lagunitas Maximus - fire is blazing, dogs are snoozing, kids are playing - and we're having some veeeery nice beer.  Good day.

Nice run!
Matt 

Edit: Now enjoying splitting a Hoponius Union (and India Pale Lager - which is unique) with Kim.  This is a surprisingly nice beer - very hoppy, but lagered, so crisp.  Kind of the best of both worlds!

Plus, there's a vegetable cheese pie roasting in the oven and some chicken for the grill - this is a VERY good day, indeed!

Sounds like you are livin' the dream bud!

2013-01-05 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Got a 5K in this morning but fell short on the swim...ran out of time because I couldn't get on base, my stickers expired.  The nice young man with a gun exclaimed, "your tags expired Dec of last year!", as if that wasn't just four days ago!  Had to go home and switch cars; lost about 45 mins of swim time!  In my younger years and before 911 I could sweet talk my way on base!

Anyway got half the swim done which seems like enough because I am already feeling the tiredness in my arms.

My daughter went back to San Diego but left the punk and a half with me....love him to death but gwad he wears me out!  Thank goodness for the middlest still living at home and tending to him.  

2013-01-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4563729

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Burd - 2013-01-05 3:22 PM

I had similar trouble. I used Total Immersion discs that helped and also used the website www.swimsmooth.com 

they have a great beginner section. I would panic and not be able to breath. swimsmooth has you concentrate on the exhale. Don't worry as much about the breathing. Also things like zoomers (small flippers) and a snorkle can help while you get your stroke down. That takes breathing out of the equation.

Unfortunately if you have bad form, I do, you spend a lot of energy that requires a lot of oxygen. I am not an expert at all and I really need lessons but I have kind of taught myself (with advice) through some of the common problems. Only this week did I finally start breathing with one goggle still in the water and breathing in the pocket of the wave. It is not pretty but I am hoping it will get me to 1.2 miles in april.

Hang in there. If you can get in the pool 3-4 times for a few weeks to get more comfortable in the water would also help. Not long sessions, just frequent.

2013-01-05 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4564022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
bobddsmd - 2013-01-05 8:44 PM
Burd - 2013-01-05 3:22 PM

I had similar trouble. I used Total Immersion discs that helped and also used the website www.swimsmooth.com 

they have a great beginner section. I would panic and not be able to breath. swimsmooth has you concentrate on the exhale. Don't worry as much about the breathing. Also things like zoomers (small flippers) and a snorkle can help while you get your stroke down. That takes breathing out of the equation.

Unfortunately if you have bad form, I do, you spend a lot of energy that requires a lot of oxygen. I am not an expert at all and I really need lessons but I have kind of taught myself (with advice) through some of the common problems. Only this week did I finally start breathing with one goggle still in the water and breathing in the pocket of the wave. It is not pretty but I am hoping it will get me to 1.2 miles in april.

Hang in there. If you can get in the pool 3-4 times for a few weeks to get more comfortable in the water would also help. Not long sessions, just frequent.

Bobby you have no idea how comforting that is to hear I haven't lost my mind.  I am all of that site you mentioned and looks great.  I'm off for a bit to go muscle through the info. 

Thanks

2013-01-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4563992

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
SportzVision - 2013-01-05 5:14 PM

Got a 5K in this morning but fell short on the swim...ran out of time because I couldn't get on base, my stickers expired.  The nice young man with a gun exclaimed, "your tags expired Dec of last year!", as if that wasn't just four days ago!  Had to go home and switch cars; lost about 45 mins of swim time!  In my younger years and before 911 I could sweet talk my way on base!

Anyway got half the swim done which seems like enough because I am already feeling the tiredness in my arms.

My daughter went back to San Diego but left the punk and a half with me....love him to death but gwad he wears me out!  Thank goodness for the middlest still living at home and tending to him.  

Sounds chaotic!

Good on you getting it done through adversity.  If I was working the gate, I'd have let you on base, just saying 

2013-01-05 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4563992

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
SportzVision - 2013-01-05 8:14 PM

hey, good on you for getting them both in.  Sounds like a crazy day!

2013-01-05 10:35 PM

New user

Hello Everyone!

Friday was such a busy day - didn't work out, didn't track calories, didn't check in to BDAS, didn't have a beer on a Friday night.  (I did have a girly drink at Morimoto though, so don't feel too bad for me)

I see that everyone has been busy.  Welcome Matt!  Bobby your new ride is pretty sweet.  I am guessing that you wife has seen it by now - hope that went well.

I got in a swim today.  I am struggling to adjust my stroke, coupled with just getting back from the pool closure, it feels really awkward.  I looked at the site that Bobby recommended for Alex.  I think that those videos are really going to help.  

Alex, I am sorry to hear about your anxiety.  I don't have anything new to add.  My swimming anxiety was related to breathing not so much just the water.  The breakthrough I had was from relaxing.  Relaxing meant deeper breaths and it took care of the frantic breathing pattern which got rid of the anxiety.  But like I said the anxiety was around breathing so I am not sure if deeper breathing techniques would help you out - it couldn't hurt.  Btw, I wanted to thank you for posting your struggle.  As a newbie, it is pretty easy to get intimidated by all the bada$$es in this group.  It is nice to hear about the struggles and wonderful to see the whole group support one another.    ::warm fuzzy::

A couple weeks ago, I signed up for a MEETup of local triathletes.  They are going on a small run tomorrow with a cup of coffee afterwards to talk about training and goals, etc.  I am going to hold off on the run, but I think I might join the group for coffee to see if I can meet a similarly positioned workout partner.  I have been really good at motivating myself to get out there, but I think that I struggle to push myself harder when someone else is around.  Does everyone here work out by themselves?  

2013-01-06 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4564162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
snarky - 2013-01-05 9:35 PM

Hello Everyone!

Friday was such a busy day - didn't work out, didn't track calories, didn't check in to BDAS, didn't have a beer on a Friday night.  (I did have a girly drink at Morimoto though, so don't feel too bad for me)

I see that everyone has been busy.  Welcome Matt!  Bobby your new ride is pretty sweet.  I am guessing that you wife has seen it by now - hope that went well.

I got in a swim today.  I am struggling to adjust my stroke, coupled with just getting back from the pool closure, it feels really awkward.  I looked at the site that Bobby recommended for Alex.  I think that those videos are really going to help.  

Alex, I am sorry to hear about your anxiety.  I don't have anything new to add.  My swimming anxiety was related to breathing not so much just the water.  The breakthrough I had was from relaxing.  Relaxing meant deeper breaths and it took care of the frantic breathing pattern which got rid of the anxiety.  But like I said the anxiety was around breathing so I am not sure if deeper breathing techniques would help you out - it couldn't hurt.  Btw, I wanted to thank you for posting your struggle.  As a newbie, it is pretty easy to get intimidated by all the bada$$es in this group.  It is nice to hear about the struggles and wonderful to see the whole group support one another.    ::warm fuzzy::

A couple weeks ago, I signed up for a MEETup of local triathletes.  They are going on a small run tomorrow with a cup of coffee afterwards to talk about training and goals, etc.  I am going to hold off on the run, but I think I might join the group for coffee to see if I can meet a similarly positioned workout partner.  I have been really good at motivating myself to get out there, but I think that I struggle to push myself harder when someone else is around.  Does everyone here work out by themselves?  

I am just making up a poster to start a triathlon group. Going schedule a meeting in the next couple of weeks!

Me, I almost always go it alone. Although my wife will workout with me sometimes if our children are taken care.

2013-01-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4564372

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-01-06 6:21 AM
snarky - 2013-01-05 9:35 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am just making up a poster to start a triathlon group. Going schedule a meeting in the next couple of weeks!

Me, I almost always go it alone. Although my wife will workout with me sometimes if our children are taken care.

X2

I have found a couple people here locally that I'll occaisionaly due a long ride with or a ows on the weekend, but I'm mostly a 5:00 am guy during the week, so I go it alone mostly.

2013-01-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4564162

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
snarky - 2013-01-05 11:35 PM

Hello Everyone!

Morimoto in Philly?  One of our favorite places (Kim and I both did a couple stints in grad school and lived in town for 3.5 then burbs for 2.5 years - loved it)!  Took the kids (all of whom were born in Philly) back for vacation last year and splurged on Morimoto (which opened when we lived there) - they STILL talk about the Kobe beef carpaccio a year later!  

As for working out, I do a lot solo when I can fit it in, but I will ride 2x a week with a buddy from work (best lunch hour ever) and workout with Kim (wife) when I can - sometimes spin or such or even just going to the pool at the same time.

Trying to find a tri club in or around Boston at the moment so I can do more group stuff - as I find it more fun to have at least some workouts with others.  A specific race peaking plan doesn't fit well with that, but that's a few weeks to a couple months at a time - leaves time for a whole lot of base building and such on the bike (harder on the runs, as you can't push the pace and let others draft to stay with&hellip.

Off to run ~4 at HM pace now (did my 12.25 or 100' at 1 percent grade on the dreadmill yesterday, so getting speedier today).

Best,

Matt

2013-01-06 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well as a lazy winter weekend worker outer person, I managed to hit spin class for a workout...gotta get my 30 in 30, er, I mean 30 in 31, apparently I don't know how many days there are in January!Laughing 

Everyone gets a bonus day to finish the 30!

2013-01-06 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Weekly Check In

Hi All: Hope you are all enjoying a nice weekend.  A couple quick thoughts:

1) You guys are awesome!!! So far as a group, y'all have posted almost 500 times to the BDAS.  To give you some perspective, Dh's group from last year, which Kevin, Thor, Cynthia, DH, and I were members of, didn't record their 500th reply until the January 25.  All of this posting means you are doing an outstanding job of participating and supporting each other.  

2) Many of you have been supporting each other by leaving inspires in your fellow beer drinkers' training logs.  For those of you who haven't used this cool feature, you can send quick messages about workouts (or beer for that matter) by clicking on the Inspire Me link at the top of all our training logs.  Its a great way giving personal encouragement and feedback directly to that user.  You can check your inspires by clicking on the same link on your training logs (and any new inspires you receive will also show up in the User Info boxes, which you probably already know resides on the left corner of each BT webpage.  One thing to remember, be sure to reply back to the sender to let them know that you got their message.

3) I'd like to try out an idea I had this week, which I hope will help hold ourselves accountible while allowing us to cheer each other on.  I was thinking that I could create a table where we could all post our weekly goals.  While this would mean fewer posts for all of us to read, the real benefit is that we could easy refer back to the chart so we could check in with people during the course of the week to see how they are doing about accomplishing their goals.  I for one was about 50/50 on my goals this week, and I know I would benefit from having someone send me a friendly message to get my to yoga so I could have accomplished goal of going 2x.  Thor is the king of this "friendly reminder", and if you haven't gotten a message from him cheer you on its only a matter of time.  If you think this is a bad dea - that's fine. But I thought we could try it out for a week and see how it goes.  

I'll put the table with the goals along with instructions about how to do it in my next post.

Keep up the great work.  You all have a lot to be proud of! 

Have a super week,
DQ 

Edited by Qua17 2013-01-06 10:53 AM
2013-01-06 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Weekly Goals

Ok - Let's give this a try:

1. Click the EDIT button in the right hand corner of this post. 
  2. Click on the box to the right of your name
  3. Click the bullet button (right uner the Styles menu)
  4. Make sure the Include Signature box below the message field is not clicked (not sure if this is necessary)
  5. Click Submit
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Complete 2 yoga sessions and try a session at the Y on Tuesday
  • Lose 1 LB and record calories daily
  • Stretch for 2 hours and ice 3x
  • Work hard in my workouts while avoiding injury
  • Support my fellow Bter's 

Edited by Qua17 2013-01-06 11:21 AM

2013-01-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4564549

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Weekly Goals
Qua17 - 2013-01-06 9:07 AM

1. Click the QUOTE (on ours) button in the right hand corner of this post. 
  4. Unclick the Include Signature box below the message field (not sure if this is necessary)
  5. Click Submit

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  increase running mileage to 28-30mpw
  • lose 2 lbs currently at 191.4
  • Only earned 1 22 0z. beer next weekend.  I need to make it a good one
  • swim/bike 2 sessions (1200 min swim, 45 min minimum bike)
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ

2013-01-06 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I think it's a great idea if we can figure how to not have to hit quote to reply, as you can see, we'll have a long page of goals, but this might be ok still as it will allert us to when someones adding their goals to the chart for the week.  great idea, it keeps us all accountable to ourselves and the group.  I find when I declare my goals, it helps me to achieve them.

I am going to take the now 5 extra beers off the fridge shelf and hide them on the laundry room shelf.  this way, after I have a tasty 22, I am not tempted to have a tag a long beverage, like I did last night. Surprised

Woke up to 3" of powder today.  It was a welcomed friend on my 9.5 miler today.  love running in the snow.  Now I have to go shovel.

For all the brothers and sisters to the north, my condolences for the death of your national passtime, (hockey).  Those clowns are fighting over $ again.  Just when you were getting some traction with fans and networks after the last strike.  I will be enjoying/nail biting here today as the SKINS take on the SEA-Chickens in the opening round of the NFL playoffs.

Hope everyone has a great day.  Get a workout in.

Prost.

2013-01-06 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4563308

User image

Expert
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-05 9:14 AM

NAME:  Matt McManus

STORY:  A long time ago...  No, wait - that's a different story.  

Looking forward to the group.  Thanks.

Matt

Welcome Matt!  Let me be the first to thank you for buying that first round, which we should have some day soon.

A couple thoughts... 1) if you're looking for a good start to your season - check out the season opener at Hopkinton State Park (less than 30 minutes away from Concord).  Here is the link: http://www.maxperformanceonline.com/neopenerrace.html 2) If you are looking for a late season HIM - check out the Pumpkinman, which I haven't done but was voted one of the top 20 races in the US by Triathlon magazine.  Here is the link: http://pumpkinmantriathlon.com/ 3) The B2B race is right up your alley.  If you want something a little easier that also ends up at the brewery - check out the Harpoon Point2Point  4) And last - as an Indians Fan - I'd like to thank you for Terry FranconaLaughing  What a nice Christmas present!

Good luck this year and let me know how I can support you!

2013-01-06 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
good idea with the chart. You could put it on the btchallenge google doc site.
2013-01-06 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-05 4:55 PM

Prost!

Sweet run!

Nice run!
Matt 

Jack's Abby - the brewery that makes Hopponius - is awesome!  I homebrew with the assistant brewer there.  He just came out with a new beer called Lashes, which is like a Sierra Nevada Celebration.  Really tasty!  If you're ever in framingham - stop by their brewery. Free tastings each night.  And it's right down the street from a great wings place called The Bone.

Also - I just realized that I hadn't added your name to the chart.  I've updated the chart on my homepage and will make sure to get it right next weekend.  For this week - you can either insert a row or just right it below the table.  Sorry.

DH - I like the idea about the challenge forum.  What do people think about posting your weekly goals there next week or this week even?

Edited by Qua17 2013-01-06 11:54 AM

2013-01-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4564556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
kevinbe - 2013-01-06 12:19 PM

4. Unclick the Include Signature box below the message field (not sure if this is necessary)
  5. Click Submit

kevinbe

Kevin
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex 
  • Run 3x, 1 long 2 normal
  • 3x sessions with Nike+ Kinect
  • CONQUER THE FACE IN WATER!
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ

2013-01-06 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Is it normal that my weight numbers haven't moved but the "belly bulge" appears to have shrunk a tad?

I have been searching all kinds of sites about face in water and look what I found.  It was an interview with Phelps and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear him say it:

Published on Aug 6, 2012

American swimming legend Michael Phelps confessed on Monday that he used to be afraid of putting his face under water. The winner of a record eighteen Olympic medals also said his first time on the podium was the most special.

Time to make this happen.

I couldn't believe it considering he is like half FISH!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEFtVjmlzA

Edited by Burd 2013-01-06 12:07 PM
2013-01-06 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Belated welcome to Matt,

just finished reading the bio...very cool to have been a Bandit in Boston... Also enjoyed the Mass. accent.

My wife and I just watched 'Ted' and I thought it was "Wicked Awesome!'

2013-01-06 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4564595

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
Burd - 2013-01-06 12:58 PM
kevinbe - 2013-01-06 12:19 PM

5. Click Submit

kevinbe

Kevin
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex 
  • Run 3x, 1 long 2 normal
  • 3x sessions with Nike+ Kinect
  • CONQUER THE FACE IN WATER!
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug Bike, run, swim 2 hours each. Weigh no more than 292 by 1/13.
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97