BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-15 3:31 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Originally posted by Burd You all want a quick laugh and to smile when it gets tough? See my earlier post about the run trouble then continue to read. So I go for a nice stroll on the bike after feeling down about the run problem and what happens? A flat tire. As I'm changing it my nose starts to bleed. Needless to say I packed it up and rode home and didn't finish my ride. I still have swim tonight to save my day. What could possible go wrong there? Keep on keeping on BDAAS!

Shark....

2014-01-15 3:43 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by Burd

You all want a quick laugh and to smile when it gets tough?

See my earlier post about the run trouble then continue to read.

So I go for a nice stroll on the bike after feeling down about the run problem and what happens? A flat tire. As I'm changing it my nose starts to bleed. Needless to say I packed it up and rode home and didn't finish my ride. I still have swim tonight to save my day. What could possible go wrong there? Keep on keeping on BDAAS!

I won't speculate what could go wrong with a swim, instead say you deserve a beer after a day like today!

Due to a lunch meeting I was only ably to get 500m in the pool today, not sure if that deserves a beer... I did get my copy of "Swim Speed Secrets" and the workout cards. I plan on reading the book over the weekend and starting the first workout on Monday.

Good Luck with SSS!! I did workout 1-2 today and I could barely get out of the pool!!
2014-01-15 5:46 PM

User image

Around here in the spring it's not uncommon for the indoor pool to close because of the weather..... I've never really understood why they close the pool and nothing else for lightening but it happens..... I've made the point to them that they should really shut down the showers and all of the cardio machines that are plugged in because you're as likely to get struck there as the pool... They don't seem to care.... Anyway, good luck with the swim and pray for now lightening.
2014-01-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: MSURDYKE

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MSURDYKE

Around here in the spring it's not uncommon for the indoor pool to close because of the weather..... I've never really understood why they close the pool and nothing else for lightening but it happens..... I've made the point to them that they should really shut down the showers and all of the cardio machines that are plugged in because you're as likely to get struck there as the pool... They don't seem to care.... Anyway, good luck with the swim and pray for now lightening.

My old gym (at U of AR) used to do this too--close when there was a weather alert including lightening or thunder. New(ish) gym (at SIU) doesn't seem to care, despite having skylights (don't know if this makes any difference at all in chances of getting struck). Anyway, I figure it is all up to the director's prerogative at the time operating procedures are written/revised. I prefer SIU's policy, cause I've done some epic swims during major storms to substitute for long rides and/or runs.
2014-01-15 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

It's been a month and I give up on running. I still see the PT on Friday but I'm starting to get a bit more than pissed. Darren I remember last year when you were going through that dark time with your injury and at the time couldn't fully appreciate where you were at. Well I do now. I lost 5 months last year to the right knee and now lord knows how long I will lose to the left one. I can't even do a run walk without being in pain. It's coming from my ITB location on the outside of the knee, Gerdy's Tubricle, and outside of my patellar tendon. Kinda a whole big mess in there. Not sure if it's a tight thing or muscle imbalance but what ever it is I'm sick of it. I can swim and cycle fine so I'll continue with that and screw running. Unless my PT has some super miracle news, which I don't see happening, I am tossing in the towel on a 1 hour sprint. I will spend '14 with my new found love of cycling. No impact and good for the body. If I can complete in a sprint in the second half to end of the season so be it and if not I'm fine with that as well but I'm not even concerned with my times. As it sits for now I'm not signing up for anything that involves running more than 10 feet.

As weird as this sounds I'm actually OK with this. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. I know today was supposed to be a run/swim day but I'm going on my bike for a leisurely stroll to get some stress out before going to swim tonight. Peace out
And with that you have just very eloquently described exactly where I'm at in my thinking. I think an extended lay off from running will allow for proper recovery and you'll be better for it in the long "run". The short term benefit you get from nursing that injury along does not outweigh the long term serenity you'll get when your healthy and happy down the road. Good plan Alex.
2014-01-15 7:52 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
2600 tonight in the pool. Managed to pop out quite a few 100s under the 2 min mark. Guess I'm finally starting to speed up. Next goal is under 1:50. After todays chain of events I feel much better after a hard swim. Heck even my CD of 200 was at 2:13. Far cry from my 2:45+ pace. We had someone toss their cookies after swim. That's how you know it's a tough swim when someone throws up

2014-01-15 9:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado

2600 tonight in the pool. Managed to pop out quite a few 100s under the 2 min mark. Guess I'm finally starting to speed up. Next goal is under 1:50. After todays chain of events I feel much better after a hard swim. Heck even my CD of 200 was at 2:13. Far cry from my 2:45+ pace. We had someone toss their cookies after swim. That's how you know it's a tough swim when someone throws up

You didn't drown! Glad the 3rd time was a charm today. Congrats.

13/31 with 1400M in the pool, my longest workout to date. My form is improving and week 3 of swimming and I'm becoming much more comfortable and relaxed in the water. Push-up/Pull-up week 2 starts tomorrow.

EDIT: I'm rewarding myself with a homebrew 90Min continuously hopped IPA, recipe insipired by the dogfish head guys.

Edited by Brian W 2014-01-15 9:29 PM
2014-01-16 8:29 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Stride Length
Originally posted by BigDH

Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Friday everyone! Today I notched my 10th workout this month with two PT sessions and my long run for the week.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my PT, who I have been going to for hip pain, has suggested that I increase my stride rate. Currently, I am striding 74 stride a minute and getting it up near 180 (three times faster) will lessen the impact on my left hip. I completely trust my PT and so I am all in. But I've been for two runs now and the change isn't easy. Does anyone have any advice or do you know of a good site I can check out. I'm definately striding faster but I don't know if I am doing it right. I'm still having pain in my hip and really want to give this the old college try.

Any thoughts?

As for beers - I had a Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby Brewery. It's a IPL - they use lager yeast and store it for more than a month before they bottle keg it. You hop heads would love it.

Gee Dave. Your PT sounds like a nut case. Your stride rate is 74, 74? Really? I got to see a video of you running. That is like a step a second. I don't think that is possible. I am amazed. I am speechless. Luckily I am typing.

Dude, I would start doing walking. Learn to walk pain free then learn to run. I ran through a lot of pain and healed but I learned the way hard way that not all pain will heal itself by running. If you got a chronic issue I don't get how you can run on it and expect it to get better. Especially if you change you form, that is going to cause all sorts of problems. You won't be balanced. I hate to be the voice of reason but if running on your hip hasn't fixed your hip in the past I doubt that running on your hip will fix your hip now.

I would seriously, honest to god, consider resigning yourself to walking the marathon. You want to give it the ol' college try? Man, this is not going to be a dean's list attempt here. You are going for a pass.

And with that cheery post I will show myself the door....

eta: oh also, get your bike cadence to 180, that will help.

UH OH... In this corner is the man on BT that I respect the most (if you want to redefine the word tough - just read some of his racelogs) and in the other corner is the best PT I have ever worked with. I trust you both and I'm befuddled at who to listen to...

Here is what I know to be true: I've been going to this PT for three months and there hasn't been a single time where I felt he has been wrong or lead me the wrong way. He has gone out of his way to help me (on four occasions he or his PTA has worked with me for over two hours when I have only been scheduled for a 1/2 hour appointment) and I know that the work he is having me do is changing my body for the better. My back which was a nightmare for the last decade doesn't hurt any more. My plantar fasciitis has gone away. The knee pain that has sidelined me at times since high school is gone. If I stopped drinking beer, I believe you might actually see some abs under there. The pain in my hip has gradually gotten better but hasn't disappeared and I slowly on my way to building up my mileage to the point where I hit my peak in 2012 when you (DH) helped me to prepare for a HIM in 5 weeks. So, there is no question that he has helped me immensely.

With that said, you have been there for me since you started this mentor group 2 years ago and you have helped me immensely. As a runner and athlete, you have been there and done that and I respect you completely.

So, part of the slower pace may have been the fact that I was running on a treadmill and I do tend to bound when running on them... Or I may have gotten the number wrong - that's possible and I will check next week... but I don't think so. I went out for a run earlier in the week and the new stride does reduce the impact. I've been to a doctor several times and have had an xray (I probably need an MRI - but the cost is prohibitive) To be honest - I think he is onto something with this stride thing. When I run with my normal stride, the impact of my left foot results in my left knee pushing to the left of center an inch or two. So clearly something is out of whack... Since I think I have tried almost every thing else, I'm going to give to give this new style of running my best effort.

With that said, I am prepared to walk the marathon (all I want to do is finish thereby accomplishing the goal that I set for myself when I was a newby in your mentor group and raising a ton of money for the hospital that helped my son). I'm just not willing to resign myself to walking until I've tried everything....I love running. I've loved it all my life even if it has caused me frustration and pain...I just am not in a position to give up yet.

So, do you have any thoughts about how I can change my stride so I can lesson the impact on the foot strike and maybe let me get back to pain free running? I think what I need to do is to make a change like they talk about in Born To Run. I read that book this summer and thought to myself, I ought to give that a try. But stubbornly, I kept plugging away. Now I'm out of options and its time to make it happen.

Oh, did I mention I may get a bib for Boston?

PS - I have never spent as long writing a post on BT...

Thanks Dave, you are far too kind.

Sorry for the late reply I have wrote this a number of times but it keeps coming out as more about me than you.

Deep breath.

People who finish 14+ hour IM do not "run" the marathon. You cannot train to "run" a marathon in 8 months. It is impossible. Certainly you can complete a marathon but you will not be "running". What is running? Running is more than going as fast as you can over a specific distance, it is doing it well. I doubt you will run even one mile of the marathon even if you were in good health now and prepared to train. Not even one. Not even 100 meters.

You seem to think that this would be failure. That this would be throwing in the towel. That this would make you a quitter. Well it doesn't and it won't. And it won't mean you don't love running and it won't mean you aren't a good runner.

You also clearly are under the delusion that running now will somehow greatly increase your potential for a good time at the IM. It won't. You are too slow and to broken. The fitness gains made in 8 months, although significant, will not be anywhere near what is required to "run" a marathon. The things that need to happen to your body will take a very long time.

What concerns me most is that your aerobic engine developed through swimming and biking will push you too hard on the run. That is bad enough if you aren't injured. With an injury the possibilities for further injury are multiplied.

Ok. Fine. Obviously if you are better at running you will have more fun during the marathon. It will be less painful, even if you are incapable of running. The training you do running will help you with the walking. Ideally, if you truly can run without an increase in pain I would really try to move it to 5 days a week. I told you that in September and I tell you that now. That is the safest way to go about it. Like Charles says, get a footpod. If you really want to give the faster cadence a try then stop running when you can't hit 180 steps a minute. And rest. Then start again. You are training a new form and you cannot allow the old form to take over at any time. So 5 days a week. Run as much as you can that allows you to run the next day. Don't run hard. Don't run long. Well maybe run long. Ha, when I was training for the IM I had these epic (at least at the time I thought they were epic) 3 hour long run/walks. But only go as long as you can so that you don't jeopardize your next run. You have the aerobic engine, you need to train the legs. And while the legs will benefit from 2+ hour runs, they will benefit more from running more often.

Anything else is a bad idea. An hour run 3 times a week, a bad idea. A 20 min run 5 times a week, a far better idea. Frankly, if you need a day to recover after running then you shouldn't be running. You should be going slower. Or less time. Under no circumstances are you to run through an increase in pain. And be honest about that. Be brutally honest. Be very very honest. If it hurts more stop. Stretch. Bike. Swim. Lift. Stretch some more. If you can only run once or twice or three times a week, fine. But don't run to the point where you couldn't run the next day if you had to. I see such a small benefit to running hard for you.

To change your gait you would probably benefit by trying to move to a midfoot or forfoot strike. Look at some lower drop shoes. They tend to have less cushioning. This is very dangerous and the forums are full of horror stories of people who tried to do this. I did it successfully, but I was very patient. Go slow and easy. One heel strike in low drop shoes could really spell disaster.

I am just so worried about you Dave. I think you have a very good chance at having a very good time at the IM. Pushing this running thing may jeopardize it all. You have made promises in the past to work smart. I can't remember what caused you to stall all those times although I seem to remember you started running faster and got greedy.
So you know, I managed a 14:24 IM with embarrassingly low run training at a fairly high bmi. Almost all of my runs were run/walks and in the 7 min a km range. I jogged a bit at the marathon, walked most of it, finished it in 6 hours and had a great time. I did spend a great amount of time on my bike.You have two goals, to finish the IM and become a better runner. Recognize that they may have very little to do with each other

DH - this group is better with you in it. I'm not sure how long you will stay - but I plan on posting a lot about Whiskey in the hopes that you will keep coming back.

So - let me clarify... I have ZERO intention of running large sections of IMMT marathon and I would be perfectly happy if I were to walk the entire 26.2.

What I want to do and what I refuse to stop working on is figuring out a way to stop being constantly injured. I want to be able to go out for a run and enjoy it like I did when I used to run in high school. I love to run. While I have come to love swimming and biking, running was my first love and I just want to fix myself so I can do it again. That's why I signed up for Triathlon in the first place - because my massage therapist at the time (who I was seeing with the hopes of fixing my ITB (sound familiar Alex) told me that if I were to replace a few of my weekly runs with swimming and biking workouts, I would end up running less so I would be injured less often and be able to enjoy the running that I was able to do. But what I have discovered during the three seasons is that triathlons aren't the solution of the problem - they just seem to make my problem worse.

So, I feel like now is the time when I can try new things like changing my stride because I won't be able to make those changes when my training increases later in the year. Like you - I worry what the changes could do but I am so p!ssed about being injury for so long that I am willing to try anything. Frankly - I'm just pissed with how long this issue has lasted... I've put in the work to solve the problem - I do more PT than bike riding - but the problem never seems to fully go away. It's my hope that with everyone's help I can figure it out so I can accomplish my goals for the year and be able to go back an enjoy my form of crack - a nice long effortless run.
2014-01-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Expert

Happy Friday everyone! Today I notched my 10th workout this month with two PT sessions and my long run for the week.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my PT, who I have been going to for hip pain, has suggested that I increase my stride rate. Currently, I am striding 74 stride a minute and getting it up near 180 (three times faster) will lessen the impact on my left hip. I completely trust my PT and so I am all in. But I've been for two runs now and the change isn't easy. Does anyone have any advice or do you know of a good site I can check out. I'm definately striding faster but I don't know if I am doing it right. I'm still having pain in my hip and really want to give this the old college try.

Any thoughts?

As for beers - I had a Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby Brewery. It's a IPL - they use lager yeast and store it for more than a month before they bottle keg it. You hop heads would love it.

Gee Dave. Your PT sounds like a nut case. Your stride rate is 74, 74? Really? I got to see a video of you running. That is like a step a second. I don't think that is possible. I am amazed. I am speechless. Luckily I am typing.

Dude, I would start doing walking. Learn to walk pain free then learn to run. I ran through a lot of pain and healed but I learned the way hard way that not all pain will heal itself by running. If you got a chronic issue I don't get how you can run on it and expect it to get better. Especially if you change you form, that is going to cause all sorts of problems. You won't be balanced. I hate to be the voice of reason but if running on your hip hasn't fixed your hip in the past I doubt that running on your hip will fix your hip now.

I would seriously, honest to god, consider resigning yourself to walking the marathon. You want to give it the ol' college try? Man, this is not going to be a dean's list attempt here. You are going for a pass.

And with that cheery post I will show myself the door....

eta: oh also, get your bike cadence to 180, that will help.

UH OH... In this corner is the man on BT that I respect the most (if you want to redefine the word tough - just read some of his racelogs) and in the other corner is the best PT I have ever worked with. I trust you both and I'm befuddled at who to listen to...

Here is what I know to be true: I've been going to this PT for three months and there hasn't been a single time where I felt he has been wrong or lead me the wrong way. He has gone out of his way to help me (on four occasions he or his PTA has worked with me for over two hours when I have only been scheduled for a 1/2 hour appointment) and I know that the work he is having me do is changing my body for the better. My back which was a nightmare for the last decade doesn't hurt any more. My plantar fasciitis has gone away. The knee pain that has sidelined me at times since high school is gone. If I stopped drinking beer, I believe you might actually see some abs under there. The pain in my hip has gradually gotten better but hasn't disappeared and I slowly on my way to building up my mileage to the point where I hit my peak in 2012 when you (DH) helped me to prepare for a HIM in 5 weeks. So, there is no question that he has helped me immensely.

With that said, you have been there for me since you started this mentor group 2 years ago and you have helped me immensely. As a runner and athlete, you have been there and done that and I respect you completely.

So, part of the slower pace may have been the fact that I was running on a treadmill and I do tend to bound when running on them... Or I may have gotten the number wrong - that's possible and I will check next week... but I don't think so. I went out for a run earlier in the week and the new stride does reduce the impact. I've been to a doctor several times and have had an xray (I probably need an MRI - but the cost is prohibitive) To be honest - I think he is onto something with this stride thing. When I run with my normal stride, the impact of my left foot results in my left knee pushing to the left of center an inch or two. So clearly something is out of whack... Since I think I have tried almost every thing else, I'm going to give to give this new style of running my best effort.

With that said, I am prepared to walk the marathon (all I want to do is finish thereby accomplishing the goal that I set for myself when I was a newby in your mentor group and raising a ton of money for the hospital that helped my son). I'm just not willing to resign myself to walking until I've tried everything....I love running. I've loved it all my life even if it has caused me frustration and pain...I just am not in a position to give up yet.

So, do you have any thoughts about how I can change my stride so I can lesson the impact on the foot strike and maybe let me get back to pain free running? I think what I need to do is to make a change like they talk about in Born To Run. I read that book this summer and thought to myself, I ought to give that a try. But stubbornly, I kept plugging away. Now I'm out of options and its time to make it happen.

Oh, did I mention I may get a bib for Boston?

PS - I have never spent as long writing a post on BT...

Thanks Dave, you are far too kind.

Sorry for the late reply I have wrote this a number of times but it keeps coming out as more about me than you.

Deep breath.

People who finish 14+ hour IM do not "run" the marathon. You cannot train to "run" a marathon in 8 months. It is impossible. Certainly you can complete a marathon but you will not be "running". What is running? Running is more than going as fast as you can over a specific distance, it is doing it well. I doubt you will run even one mile of the marathon even if you were in good health now and prepared to train. Not even one. Not even 100 meters.

You seem to think that this would be failure. That this would be throwing in the towel. That this would make you a quitter. Well it doesn't and it won't. And it won't mean you don't love running and it won't mean you aren't a good runner.

You also clearly are under the delusion that running now will somehow greatly increase your potential for a good time at the IM. It won't. You are too slow and to broken. The fitness gains made in 8 months, although significant, will not be anywhere near what is required to "run" a marathon. The things that need to happen to your body will take a very long time.

What concerns me most is that your aerobic engine developed through swimming and biking will push you too hard on the run. That is bad enough if you aren't injured. With an injury the possibilities for further injury are multiplied.

Ok. Fine. Obviously if you are better at running you will have more fun during the marathon. It will be less painful, even if you are incapable of running. The training you do running will help you with the walking. Ideally, if you truly can run without an increase in pain I would really try to move it to 5 days a week. I told you that in September and I tell you that now. That is the safest way to go about it. Like Charles says, get a footpod. If you really want to give the faster cadence a try then stop running when you can't hit 180 steps a minute. And rest. Then start again. You are training a new form and you cannot allow the old form to take over at any time. So 5 days a week. Run as much as you can that allows you to run the next day. Don't run hard. Don't run long. Well maybe run long. Ha, when I was training for the IM I had these epic (at least at the time I thought they were epic) 3 hour long run/walks. But only go as long as you can so that you don't jeopardize your next run. You have the aerobic engine, you need to train the legs. And while the legs will benefit from 2+ hour runs, they will benefit more from running more often.

Anything else is a bad idea. An hour run 3 times a week, a bad idea. A 20 min run 5 times a week, a far better idea. Frankly, if you need a day to recover after running then you shouldn't be running. You should be going slower. Or less time. Under no circumstances are you to run through an increase in pain. And be honest about that. Be brutally honest. Be very very honest. If it hurts more stop. Stretch. Bike. Swim. Lift. Stretch some more. If you can only run once or twice or three times a week, fine. But don't run to the point where you couldn't run the next day if you had to. I see such a small benefit to running hard for you.

To change your gait you would probably benefit by trying to move to a midfoot or forfoot strike. Look at some lower drop shoes. They tend to have less cushioning. This is very dangerous and the forums are full of horror stories of people who tried to do this. I did it successfully, but I was very patient. Go slow and easy. One heel strike in low drop shoes could really spell disaster.

I am just so worried about you Dave. I think you have a very good chance at having a very good time at the IM. Pushing this running thing may jeopardize it all. You have made promises in the past to work smart. I can't remember what caused you to stall all those times although I seem to remember you started running faster and got greedy.

So you know, I managed a 14:24 IM with embarrassingly low run training at a fairly high bmi. Almost all of my runs were run/walks and in the 7 min a km range. I jogged a bit at the marathon, walked most of it, finished it in 6 hours and had a great time. I did spend a great amount of time on my bike.

You have two goals, to finish the IM and become a better runner. Recognize that they may have very little to do with each other.

DH - this group is better with you in it. I'm not sure how long you will stay - but I plan on posting a lot about Whiskey in the hopes that you will keep coming back.

So - let me clarify... I have ZERO intention of running large sections of IMMT marathon and I would be perfectly happy if I were to walk the entire 26.2.

What I want to do and what I refuse to stop working on is figuring out a way to stop being constantly injured. I want to be able to go out for a run and enjoy it like I did when I used to run in high school. I love to run. While I have come to love swimming and biking, running was my first love and I just want to fix myself so I can do it again. That's why I signed up for Triathlon in the first place - because my massage therapist at the time (who I was seeing with the hopes of fixing my ITB (sound familiar Alex) told me that if I were to replace a few of my weekly runs with swimming and biking workouts, I would end up running less so I would be injured less often and be able to enjoy the running that I was able to do. But what I have discovered during the three seasons is that triathlons aren't the solution of the problem - they just seem to make my problem worse.

So, I feel like now is the time when I can try new things like changing my stride because I won't be able to make those changes when my training increases later in the year. Like you - I worry what the changes could do but I am so p!ssed about being injury for so long that I am willing to try anything. Frankly - I'm just pissed with how long this issue has lasted... I've put in the work to solve the problem - I do more PT than bike riding - but the problem never seems to fully go away. It's my hope that with everyone's help I can figure it out so I can accomplish my goals for the year and be able to go back an enjoy my form of crack - a nice long effortless run.
2014-01-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Alex--glad to hear you didn't drown or get eaten by a shark! Way to persevere and get it done!!

I'm 12/31 after this morning's run at the indoor track. Ugh--is there anything worse than running around a tiny oval for 40 minutes? I guess doing it for an hour, or more! Anyway, does anyone know if the 7lap=1mile distance is based on the inside lane or the outside lane? I ran in the outside lane--it is the turtle lane. Just wondering if the distance could be a little off, because my mile time seemed slow. There aren't any starting marks to show staggered starts, so I can't even guess based on those.

Tonight is a 40min isolated leg session on the trainer, so that will put me at 13/31 by the end of the day.

Hope everyone is getting in good workouts!
2014-01-16 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

17/31. Have to get in pushup challenge tonite!

2014-01-16 8:42 AM

User image

Expert

Alex - you are a trooper. Most people probably would have thrown in the towel by now but you still managed to find a way to salvage your day! 2600 in the poop is a fantastic accomplishment in its own right and even more impressive when you compare it to where you were last January. While it completely blows that your legs are giving you trouble - sub 2:00s prove that your arms are getting stronger. Plus - you weren't the one who blew chunks after the swim. Way to represent!
2014-01-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Alex--glad to hear you didn't drown or get eaten by a shark! Way to persevere and get it done!!

I'm 12/31 after this morning's run at the indoor track. Ugh--is there anything worse than running around a tiny oval for 40 minutes? I guess doing it for an hour, or more! Anyway, does anyone know if the 7lap=1mile distance is based on the inside lane or the outside lane? I ran in the outside lane--it is the turtle lane. Just wondering if the distance could be a little off, because my mile time seemed slow. There aren't any starting marks to show staggered starts, so I can't even guess based on those.

Tonight is a 40min isolated leg session on the trainer, so that will put me at 13/31 by the end of the day.

Hope everyone is getting in good workouts!

Gretchen - you are crushing it! First making it happen in the pool and now doing indoor track workouts - you are gonna be ready to go once race season gets here.

The distance depends. I'm not sure where you are running - but at a regulation outdoor track - the distance is measured from the inside lane. If you are working out at a club - the distances won't be percise. That's why I always try to run for time when I am running inside because it can be so hard to gauge the distance.

Also have to say - it's possible to have a lot of fun running indoors. When I was in high school - I used to run indoors and really enjoyed the change of location. Running in a smaller loop always seemed more manageable to me than completing 400 yards and I always felt like I was showing off when I was out there with some of the slower people and I would just blow by them (I'm a BOPer - so feeling fast was rare). You've got a few more months inside - if you can find something to like about running indoors - it will make that time go that much faster.
2014-01-16 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd 2600 tonight in the pool. Managed to pop out quite a few 100s under the 2 min mark. Guess I'm finally starting to speed up. Next goal is under 1:50. After todays chain of events I feel much better after a hard swim. Heck even my CD of 200 was at 2:13. Far cry from my 2:45+ pace. We had someone toss their cookies after swim. That's how you know it's a tough swim when someone throws up
Alex - you are a trooper. Most people probably would have thrown in the towel by now but you still managed to find a way to salvage your day! 2600 in the poop is a fantastic accomplishment in its own right and even more impressive when you compare it to where you were last January. While it completely blows that your legs are giving you trouble - sub 2:00s prove that your arms are getting stronger. Plus - you weren't the one who blew chunks after the swim. Way to represent!

I would blow chunks too....  

2014-01-16 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by drfoodlove Alex--glad to hear you didn't drown or get eaten by a shark! Way to persevere and get it done!! I'm 12/31 after this morning's run at the indoor track. Ugh--is there anything worse than running around a tiny oval for 40 minutes? I guess doing it for an hour, or more! Anyway, does anyone know if the 7lap=1mile distance is based on the inside lane or the outside lane? I ran in the outside lane--it is the turtle lane. Just wondering if the distance could be a little off, because my mile time seemed slow. There aren't any starting marks to show staggered starts, so I can't even guess based on those. Tonight is a 40min isolated leg session on the trainer, so that will put me at 13/31 by the end of the day. Hope everyone is getting in good workouts!
Gretchen - you are crushing it! First making it happen in the pool and now doing indoor track workouts - you are gonna be ready to go once race season gets here. The distance depends. I'm not sure where you are running - but at a regulation outdoor track - the distance is measured from the inside lane. If you are working out at a club - the distances won't be percise. That's why I always try to run for time when I am running inside because it can be so hard to gauge the distance. Also have to say - it's possible to have a lot of fun running indoors. When I was in high school - I used to run indoors and really enjoyed the change of location. Running in a smaller loop always seemed more manageable to me than completing 400 yards and I always felt like I was showing off when I was out there with some of the slower people and I would just blow by them (I'm a BOPer - so feeling fast was rare). You've got a few more months inside - if you can find something to like about running indoors - it will make that time go that much faster.
What I like about running indoors...I am not on the treadmill!!

David is bang on. I am sure the fitness attendants should know which lane is which distance. Our gym has 4 lanes and a sign with each distance on them. Not a huge difference between the 4 so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Thankfully the 2 outer lanes are run and the 2 inner ones are walk...Just a tiny bit less times around the track.

2014-01-16 9:55 AM

User image

New user
Brutal week for getting workouts done - I sit at one treadmill run and one bike Mind you does dancing your butt off at a P!nk concert count as a workout? If it did I would do that workout everyday!!

I did meet with my friend who said she would mentor me through the specifics of my training so I am really excited and not just a bit relieved by that. We had a good chat about where I am fitness wise and how to build volume in a way that I progress but don't kill myself. She gave me some great pratical pointers about structuring your training plan to give me the flexability I need in case family stuff comes up (not that family priorities ever get in the way of training right LOL). She did tris as she raised a family so she knows exactly what the real deal is.

I didn't get any goals onto the spreadsheet this week but I have workouts planned for the next 3 days, my training plan is set, I am good to go at my new gym, and I even have meal prep done right through to Monday.

I am looking at heart rate monitors - mine died after 10 years of faithful service RIP. I am not looking to spean more then maybe $150 - any suggestions?

2014-01-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by thor67

x3. Make the penalty beer a PBR...Sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist.

Originally posted by kevinbe
Originally posted by b2b14 Looks like Coors penalty for me. Planned to get up at 5 to get a swim and run before working on my day off but was called at 2100 and informed that my hours changed to 0600. Won't get done till 1500 when I pick up my daughter for our date. Had to cancel either workout or daughter date. I did get my pushups in for the challenge.
Good call. Workouts will be there. Kids grow up.
X2. Coors Light (or Milwaukee's Best Light) penalties are waived when a workout is missed to spend time with family (especially for a father/daughter date). Training for tris means a lot of time away from family and when you have to choose between a workout and family - always make the same choice you did. You can easily make up a workout but it's much harder to fix a broken promise.

All this talk about Coors Light, Keystone and PBR is making me thirsty. 

MY missing a workout  'punishment' would be some overly hoppy-ish IPA or a too-smooth Canadian Whiskey. 

Sounds like (almost) everyone is having a good month.  My .02 = This is only January.  For most of us, the race season is still 5 mos. away.  Build you BASE. Err on the side of caution and protecting your body from injury.  Doesn't do any good to be a gym warrior in March and an injured, burn out in May.  That being said, I barely ran with my group on Tues-my legs were so sore from stairs on Monday, I could hardly walk. Blue Moon and bourbon were the reward. Wed. was a good swim in the AM and my first roller ride in the PM.  PBR with lime for me-yum!  My first 'double day' of the New year!  Tonight is long-ish run with my group. 

Workout 12/16

@ Melanie: Check out the website www.DCRainmaker.com. He's an amazing resource for tri-related product reviews. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-01-16 10:14 AM
2014-01-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by ripariangal
I am looking at heart rate monitors - mine died after 10 years of faithful service RIP. I am not looking to spean more then maybe $150 - any suggestions?

Honestly, spend more and buy a Garmin 910xt. Everything else is a compromise. Between my wife and I, we had two FR60s and two Edge 500's, and all were sold after we bought the 910xt. It does everything, and mine has worked pretty much flawlessly.
2014-01-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by ripariangal

Honestly, spend more and buy a Garmin 910xt. Everything else is a compromise. Between my wife and I, we had two FR60s and two Edge 500's, and all were sold after we bought the 910xt. It does everything, and mine has worked pretty much flawlessly.

x2 I absolutely love my 910 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Money well spent.

However if you have to stick to a budget of $150 and can't swing the extra there are options out there. Before I got the 910 I used a Timex Global Trainer. You can get one brand new with the HR strap for $150 or less. It has a built in GPS for runs and bikes and will accept ANT+ devices. I used a Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor with it and it worked great. Only down side is it's a bit large but once you get used to it you really don't notice. Here is DC Rainmakers review...he probably had the most detailed reviews of anyone or anywhere I have seen.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/timex-ironman-gps-global-trainer...
2014-01-16 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I get a chuckle out of some triathlon articles. I just read one about the new P2 how it's completely redesigned after 7 years which is real cool. The funny part is how they call it an "entry level" tri bike at $2800. Holy crap that's a ton of cash. My idea of entry level full carbon is the Kestrel Talon at $1350 or the many true entry level bikes that are under $2000. I know this is an expensive sport but when did $2800 become entry level?
2014-01-16 11:57 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for the suggestions guys - the 910xt is amazing, has it all but honestly - I am a 'weekend warrior' who will be doing maybe two races this summer, all I need is something one level up from a finger on my pulse for 10 seconds lol. Not that don't want to keep up on my stats I have a stand in - I have unfortunate attatchment issues to my iPhone it never leaves my hand... it has a variety of GPS programs on it.

I run with an awesome program called Zombies! Run! it tracks all of your runs and gives all the stats that I am interested in. The zombie app puts a spring in your step when they start playing snarls and growls as people yell for you to run - I recommend it to everybody its a hoot!

2014-01-16 12:23 PM

User image

New user

I get a chuckle out of some triathlon articles. I just read one about the new P2 how it's completely redesigned after 7 years which is real cool. The funny part is how they call it an "entry level" tri bike at $2800. Holy crap that's a ton of cash. My idea of entry level full carbon is the Kestrel Talon at $1350 or the many true entry level bikes that are under $2000. I know this is an expensive sport but when did $2800 become entry level?

I found the same thing! I did my first triathlon on my mountain bike you would not have believed the looks I got. Mind you that race was done on very bad roads and I passed a lot of people changing tires. I didn't want to lay out a ton of cash when I wasn't sure how long I would stick with the sport.

Lucky for me there are a lot of triathletes with much deeper pockets than me who love new, shiney toys. I picked up a second hand bike easily worth $2500 for $500 from someone with 3 other bikes who was upgrading. I got a Wilier Alpe d'Huez with all the bells and whistles (dura ace ksyrium ssc tires, carbon everything) yep $500, less than a fraction of the cost of the tires that were less than 4 months old. Granted I knew the rider so I knew the history of the races on the bikes along with maintence etc.

2014-01-16 1:43 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Expert
So today is Thursday and it's time to check in about our weekly goals. Be sure to post sometime today or tomorrow bringing everyone up to speed on what you have done so far this week and what you'll do between now and sunday to make sure you accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. Not meeting a goal doesn't necessarily mean a Coors Light penalty - but giving up does. Make it happen!
2014-01-16 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

So today is Thursday and it's time to check in about our weekly goals. Be sure to post sometime today or tomorrow bringing everyone up to speed on what you have done so far this week and what you'll do between now and sunday to make sure you accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. Not meeting a goal doesn't necessarily mean a Coors Light penalty - but giving up does. Make it happen!

I forgot that you created a snazzy chart for us to fill out each week. Just added it to a bookmark and updated my goals for this week. Whew I nearly had to down a Coors Light
2014-01-16 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Doing good on goals so far. Tomorrow will be my first run in almost two weeks, foot is feeling good! Today I played some beach volleyball in the warm and sunny 85* weather, don't really consider it a workout as we didn't work that hard. Tonight will be cardio-kick, while fun and gets me moving it's not the workout it used to be before I started running.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.