BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-08 4:14 AM
in reply to: #1389045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
owl_girl - 2008-05-08 12:47 AM

Over the weekend, a friend of mine DNFed at a HIM.  He did great coming out of the swim.  His bike ride went good even though it was slower than he intended.  He crapped out about halfway into the run.  He said it was hot.  (Now mind you.  If it is 80 degrees for us here in Humboldt County, we want to turn on the air conditioning!)  He thinks he failed to hydrate properly during the bike.

I would love to hear any advice you guys have regarding proper hydration during a HIM.  Right now, I am capable of carrying 2 saddle mount bottles, 1 frame mount bottle, and an aero bottle on my bike.  Do you think this is going to be adequate for me or excessive for my Boise HIM on June 1?

It depends on how hot out it is and how much you sweat. I go through 1.5 bottles/hour, sometims more if its hot out. This is a good thing to practice on those long training rides, just weigh youself before and after and you can guess if you had hydrated properly from that (also judge by how you feel). For a long ride, I often have a second supply of waterbottles at the car and circle back there as much as need be.

You will have water stops on the bike course in the race where you can switch out the water bottles, so you don't need to carry it all the whole time.If you go to your race website it may tell you exactly where these stops are.

Edited by shiggy 2008-05-08 4:15 AM

2008-05-08 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1389045

User image

Sensei
Sin City
owl_girl - 2008-05-07 9:47 PM

Over the weekend, a friend of mine DNFed at a HIM.  He did great coming out of the swim.  His bike ride went good even though it was slower than he intended.  He crapped out about halfway into the run.  He said it was hot.  (Now mind you.  If it is 80 degrees for us here in Humboldt County, we want to turn on the air conditioning!)  He thinks he failed to hydrate properly during the bike.

I would love to hear any advice you guys have regarding proper hydration during a HIM.  Right now, I am capable of carrying 2 saddle mount bottles, 1 frame mount bottle, and an aero bottle on my bike.  Do you think this is going to be adequate for me or excessive for my Boise HIM on June 1?

I'm a 1.5 to 2 bottle per hour person too.  In my HIM's, they had aid stations on the ride every 10 miles.  At that rate, I was hitting them ever 35 minutes or so.  I would just throw my empty one away and grab a new one.  Any decent race will know the fluid needs and should provide you with adaquate supply....

I also took an extra 5 seconds in T1 to drink and they have aid stations every mile or so on the run.

My problem, I just forgot to use them and ran into issues of cramps and dehydration too. 

2008-05-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1389128

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
I have a buddy here at work who calls the cycling portion "meals on wheels" and that you should practice eating (gels, powerbars, etc) and drinking as much as you can during the cycling portion for anything HIM to IM. He said the first time he ran an HIM, he wasn't prepared for the nutritional aspects. Look for the article "Training for an Ironman: Nutrition" on here.

The dude says you can burn 7000-12000 during an Ironman. I think that runs around 3500-6000 for an HIM. And you only store around 1800-2200 as glycogen which is what you use during activities over 80% max HR.

I know all about dehydration from my time in the Marine Corps and in Yuma Ariz or Iraq. You do lose a lot if you're dehydrated, but I think you completely drop from lack of nutrition during the race.
2008-05-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1389525

User image

Expert
WA

GomesBolt - 2008-05-08 10:38 AM I have a buddy here at work who calls the cycling portion "meals on wheels" and that you should practice eating (gels, powerbars, etc) and drinking as much as you can during the cycling portion for anything HIM to IM. He said the first time he ran an HIM, he wasn't prepared for the nutritional aspects. Look for the article "Training for an Ironman: Nutrition" on here. The dude says you can burn 7000-12000 during an Ironman. I think that runs around 3500-6000 for an HIM. And you only store around 1800-2200 as glycogen which is what you use during activities over 80% max HR. I know all about dehydration from my time in the Marine Corps and in Yuma Ariz or Iraq. You do lose a lot if you're dehydrated, but I think you completely drop from lack of nutrition during the race.

i think my husband said he took in 4000 calories on the bike for his ironman.  he said, it'd be better to take more, but you just can't eat that much, and 4K was enough - he had zero cramping or dehydration issues on the run.

i've read over and over again, "practice your nutrition" for the long course races.  my husband used to drink this protein stuff in his aerobottle that was LOADED with calories, it was easier to drink that than to get something out to eat, so he took a lot of cals that way.  maybe you can try that.  and then maybe even practice doing a bottle swap or something, have a friend pretend to be a volunteer so you can grab a new bottle so you don't run out at the race. 

and check out this calculator to get an idea of how much water you need:

http://www.trihardermultisports.com/THM_SwRate.aspx

2008-05-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1389525

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Idealy, that's why in HIM an IM races, you want to stay in Z2 if you can.  That utilizes fat stores and reserves your glycogen levels.  I found out the hard way my last race (too hard on the bike).

Getting calories in you is important for sure, but as I recall, you can't rebuild glycogen on the run, you need to be resting for that to happen.  I'm not the best with solid food while training, so I kind of stick to gels and drinks to get my calories.

I'm worried about an IM though.  I think I will HAVE to east some solid food on the bike.  But I plan to take it much easier, so I hope to not have any GI issues.  Got plenty of time to worry about that though!

2008-05-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1389557

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-05-08 7:47 AM

GomesBolt - 2008-05-08 10:38 AM I have a buddy here at work who calls the cycling portion "meals on wheels" and that you should practice eating (gels, powerbars, etc) and drinking as much as you can during the cycling portion for anything HIM to IM. He said the first time he ran an HIM, he wasn't prepared for the nutritional aspects. Look for the article "Training for an Ironman: Nutrition" on here. The dude says you can burn 7000-12000 during an Ironman. I think that runs around 3500-6000 for an HIM. And you only store around 1800-2200 as glycogen which is what you use during activities over 80% max HR. I know all about dehydration from my time in the Marine Corps and in Yuma Ariz or Iraq. You do lose a lot if you're dehydrated, but I think you completely drop from lack of nutrition during the race.

i think my husband said he took in 4000 calories on the bike for his ironman.  he said, it'd be better to take more, but you just can't eat that much, and 4K was enough - he had zero cramping or dehydration issues on the run.

i've read over and over again, "practice your nutrition" for the long course races.  my husband used to drink this protein stuff in his aerobottle that was LOADED with calories, it was easier to drink that than to get something out to eat, so he took a lot of cals that way.  maybe you can try that.  and then maybe even practice doing a bottle swap or something, have a friend pretend to be a volunteer so you can grab a new bottle so you don't run out at the race. 

and check out this calculator to get an idea of how much water you need:

http://www.trihardermultisports.com/THM_SwRate.aspx

there you go!  I agree...  I don't take in much solid stuff during my races....  I save that for the after party feast!!!!  Of couse, about 6 hours later when my appetite comes back.

2008-05-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1389576

User image

Sensei
Sin City
It finally hit me this morning!  That nervous tension before an event!  Packing up tonight for my trip to Utah and the race.  THEN we are hanging out for the rest of the weekend and visiting Mt. Zion Ntl park, eat out, stay at a lodge by a river.  Should be SOOOOO much fun.  I can't wait!!!!!
2008-05-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1389819

User image

Enjoy the trip man. I can't wait for my next race.

I had a little scare this morning and wanted to see if anyone else has this.

I'm going through some tests as part of this weight-loss program where they check you out every 2 weeks, monitor your progress, etc. Anyway, he runs my BP and it's a little high then says "your heart-rate is a little arythmic." So I ask if we should run any checks. We do and they find that every 6 beats, I get an extra skip. I'm not feeling any pain or anything. I'm a little sore from exercise, but I don't think that impacts it. The doc says a lot of people have it, but I was perfectly normal 2 weeks-ago.

Anyone have any experience with that?
2008-05-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1389838

User image

Sensei
Sin City

GomesBolt - 2008-05-08 9:06 AM Enjoy the trip man. I can't wait for my next race. I had a little scare this morning and wanted to see if anyone else has this. I'm going through some tests as part of this weight-loss program where they check you out every 2 weeks, monitor your progress, etc. Anyway, he runs my BP and it's a little high then says "your heart-rate is a little arythmic." So I ask if we should run any checks. We do and they find that every 6 beats, I get an extra skip. I'm not feeling any pain or anything. I'm a little sore from exercise, but I don't think that impacts it. The doc says a lot of people have it, but I was perfectly normal 2 weeks-ago. Anyone have any experience with that?

If I were betting man, probably not.  I don't think you develop something like that in a couple weeks.  Probably not picked up before.......

HOWEVER!  If they say don't worry about it, DON'T!!!!!  Docs are overly conservative IMO.  They error on the side of caution.  If they aren't worried, I wouldn't be!

When I got a detailed study done on me, they said I had a "Right Brachial Bunch Block" in my heart (I can try to explain if you want).  Worried me, but they said even though it's not common, it's not an issue.  So I don't worry about it!

Just keep an eye on it, talk to your docs and stay up to speed.  No worries mate!

2008-05-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
I totally agree, if the docs say don't worry about it than don't. Theres always the option of getting a second opinion if you want to be totally sure. Also, if you want to find more info from someone that has had that, you may want to post (or search the posts) on the regular forum. I'm guessing with the thousands of users here someone will able to relate, and there are also several doctors that post too
2008-05-08 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Aikidoman - 2008-05-08 12:01 PM It finally hit me this morning!  That nervous tension before an event!  Packing up tonight for my trip to Utah and the race.  THEN we are hanging out for the rest of the weekend and visiting Mt. Zion Ntl park, eat out, stay at a lodge by a river.  Should be SOOOOO much fun.  I can't wait!!!!!

That sounds like it will be an awesome trip! Hope you can stay focused on whatever else you have to do until then (I know its hard!). I too am psyched about this weekend, I am volunteering at the special olympics regional finals track meet, it was such an amazing experience last year, I've been thinking about it a lot this week!

2008-05-08 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Thanks for all the nutrition advice, guys!   I do just fine on my long rides with my gels and cytomax.  I did find that my stomach doesn't tolerate gel with caffeine!  It cramps up so bad, I want to curl up in a ball!

The heat thing is going to be an issue for me.  I know 80 degrees probably doesn't mean that much to any of you, but that temp is hotter than the gates of hell for me!  What do you do differently for training and or racing in temps that are in the 90's and approaching 100?

2008-05-08 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Aikidoman - 2008-05-08 9:01 AM It finally hit me this morning!  That nervous tension before an event!  Packing up tonight for my trip to Utah and the race.  THEN we are hanging out for the rest of the weekend and visiting Mt. Zion Ntl park, eat out, stay at a lodge by a river.  Should be SOOOOO much fun.  I can't wait!!!!!

Good luck and have fun!!!!  The National Park should be fantastic this time of year!

2008-05-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1389955

User image

Expert
WA
owl_girl - 2008-05-08 12:39 PM

The heat thing is going to be an issue for me. I know 80 degrees probably doesn't mean that much to any of you, but that temp is hotter than the gates of hell for me! What do you do differently for training and or racing in temps that are in the 90's and approaching 100?

One thing to try is to wear too much clothing, so you'll feel hot.  I don't do well in heat either, at all, so early season races are hard because it's just started to get warm and you're not used to it yet!  Personally, I like to work out between 30 and 65 degrees - anything hotter is too hot!

Approaching 100????  That sounds REALLY REALLY hot!!  Maybe you should wear like winter clothing and go out for a training ride, see how much you sweat in those conditions to help tweak the sweat rate and nutrition data...

good luck!!     

2008-05-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1389981

User image

Elite
far northern CA
lisazapato - 2008-05-08 9:46 AM

The heat thing is going to be an issue for me. I know 80 degrees probably doesn't mean that much to any of you, but that temp is hotter than the gates of hell for me! What do you do differently for training and or racing in temps that are in the 90's and approaching 100?

One thing to try is to wear too much clothing, so you'll feel hot.  I don't do well in heat either, at all, so early season races are hard because it's just started to get warm and you're not used to it yet!  Personally, I like to work out between 30 and 65 degrees - anything hotter is too hot!

Approaching 100????  That sounds REALLY REALLY hot!!  Maybe you should wear like winter clothing and go out for a training ride, see how much you sweat in those conditions to help tweak the sweat rate and nutrition data...

good luck!!     

Ha Ha!!!  I'd look like the kid on A Christmas Story who is all bundled up in a snow suit!  At least a bike crash wouldn't hurt as bad!

Seriously, I have run on the treadmill in the gym when it is really stinkin' hot in there.  I know it is a poor substitute but at least I can get a feel for the discomfort.

My very first tri was a hot one.  It was in the mid 80's at the start and it was 100 degrees when I crossed the finish line!  I still remember that headache!  Sheesh!

2008-05-08 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

I tell you guys what... It is just sooo easy for me to not workout when the weather is not nice outside.  I was supposed to swim yesterday and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I guess the price of gas also has something to do with it as I hate driving now.

I do promise though that I will go swim tonight and I'm planning a very hard bike this weekend.

2008-05-08 12:18 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
owl_girl - 2008-05-08 9:39 AM

Thanks for all the nutrition advice, guys!   I do just fine on my long rides with my gels and cytomax.  I did find that my stomach doesn't tolerate gel with caffeine!  It cramps up so bad, I want to curl up in a ball!

The heat thing is going to be an issue for me.  I know 80 degrees probably doesn't mean that much to any of you, but that temp is hotter than the gates of hell for me!  What do you do differently for training and or racing in temps that are in the 90's and approaching 100?

Heh, suffer!!!!!

Drink LOTS.....  Cry from frustration and "heat rage".  You know, the typical.....

A race I did last year had a late start and the run was at 110 to 115 degrees in the desert.  I seriously took in so much water and poured so much over my head that I was sloshing in my shoes.  I would put ice under my hat just to try to keep cool.....

2008-05-08 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Sorry I don't have anything to add on most of the topics you guys have questions about.  My longest totals consist of 1200yds in the pool, 12miles on the bike, and 3.25mi run.  Most of you do this as a warm up.  The response are very helpful and I will hopefully be able to add to it someday. 

I did my last "long" workout for my tapering.   I practice my T2.  It was okay.  I was really spent after the bike.  Just wanted to run a bit to get the legs used to it.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.  I may just do some laps in the pool tomorrow so I don't get cranky.  I will try to check in tomorrow and Sat, but my Mom is coming in and I have a lot to do before my daugher's bday party on Sat and the race on Sun. 

Have a good weekend.

2008-05-08 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Aikidoman - 2008-05-08 12:01 PM It finally hit me this morning!  That nervous tension before an event!  Packing up tonight for my trip to Utah and the race.  THEN we are hanging out for the rest of the weekend and visiting Mt. Zion Ntl park, eat out, stay at a lodge by a river.  Should be SOOOOO much fun.  I can't wait!!!!!

Zion is awesome.   I know the lodge you are talking about.  Probably my favorite place we visited when we drove out to Cali.  Enjoy.

2008-05-08 12:43 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Hey guys, first time on in 24+ hours. I don't have time to go through all the posts right now, but I'll try to catch up soon. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions or something I can help with. I might not respond right away, though, but will check at least one or two more times before the end of the day.

Take care !

2008-05-08 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1390121

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Boston Beginner - 2008-05-08 10:26 AM

Sorry I don't have anything to add on most of the topics you guys have questions about.  My longest totals consist of 1200yds in the pool, 12miles on the bike, and 3.25mi run.  Most of you do this as a warm up.  The response are very helpful and I will hopefully be able to add to it someday. 

I did my last "long" workout for my tapering.   I practice my T2.  It was okay.  I was really spent after the bike.  Just wanted to run a bit to get the legs used to it.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.  I may just do some laps in the pool tomorrow so I don't get cranky.  I will try to check in tomorrow and Sat, but my Mom is coming in and I have a lot to do before my daugher's bday party on Sat and the race on Sun. 

Have a good weekend.

We all started there!  When I started running about 10 years ago, I couldn't go 15 minutes without wanting to puke!  One day, it just clicked!  That was an exciting day!  Three years ago, when I decided to do a triathlon, I couldn't swim with my face in the water.  Now I am comfortable with bi-lateral breathing.  It'll just take some time and practice.  You are doing a fantastic job!!!!  Good luck with the party and the race!!!

2008-05-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1390193

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-08 10:43 AM

Hey guys, first time on in 24+ hours. I don't have time to go through all the posts right now, but I'll try to catch up soon. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions or something I can help with. I might not respond right away, though, but will check at least one or two more times before the end of the day.

Take care !

No worries mate!  Take care on the buisiness trip.  We will hold down the fort whilst you are away......

2008-05-08 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

I will also be dealing with very hot conditions for my HIM and I am definately worried about this. It would be great if you can share your experience with this after your ride. The only reason I'm doing a HIM in very hot conditions is that I really want to do IM KY next year, and I have to see if I can survive/finish in those types of conditions before signing up for that.

2008-05-08 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1390126

User image

Great idea posting on the open forum boards.

I have this to say about the heat.

I really overheat easily because I had a run-in back at OCS with Heat Exhaustion and then with Hypothermia at The Basic School so my internal temp regulator is fubar.

The best thing I can recommend is eat/drink well for days leading-up to the event.

Wear a white cool-max or some other light fabric hat. Dunk the hat in some icewater before and during the race.

Also, you can do what Chris McCormack was doing during the IM last year. He had sponges in his tri-singlet to keep him cool. Half of the water you splash into your mouth goes into your singlet anyway.

Lastly, if you're sun-sensitive, you may want to wear a long-sleeve white under-armour shirt and douse it with cold water frequently like Torbjorn Sindballe did placing 3rd in Hawaii last year.

I'm not an expert at staying cool, but you gotta do some of these things to make it through anything 6 miles and more down here in FL anytime of year.

I don't think wearing clothes and training works well to acclimate yourself because you still get to breathe cool air into your lungs which is where most of your evaporation happens in heat-in your lungs. You can maybe train at the heat of day every day and then get some comparison as opposed to in the early morning or evening.

Just some tips.
2008-05-08 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1390403

User image

Elite
far northern CA

GomesBolt - 2008-05-08 11:34 AM Great idea posting on the open forum boards. I have this to say about the heat. I really overheat easily because I had a run-in back at OCS with Heat Exhaustion and then with Hypothermia at The Basic School so my internal temp regulator is fubar. The best thing I can recommend is eat/drink well for days leading-up to the event. Wear a white cool-max or some other light fabric hat. Dunk the hat in some icewater before and during the race. Also, you can do what Chris McCormack was doing during the IM last year. He had sponges in his tri-singlet to keep him cool. Half of the water you splash into your mouth goes into your singlet anyway. Lastly, if you're sun-sensitive, you may want to wear a long-sleeve white under-armour shirt and douse it with cold water frequently like Torbjorn Sindballe did placing 3rd in Hawaii last year. I'm not an expert at staying cool, but you gotta do some of these things to make it through anything 6 miles and more down here in FL anytime of year. I don't think wearing clothes and training works well to acclimate yourself because you still get to breathe cool air into your lungs which is where most of your evaporation happens in heat-in your lungs. You can maybe train at the heat of day every day and then get some comparison as opposed to in the early morning or evening. Just some tips.

Great ideas!!!  Thank you!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66