BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-01-24 12:49 AM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL

Also, my coed rec soccer league started another season tonight at the YMCA.  We suck.  Lost 11-0, and nobody is surprised.  Par for the course ... but we have FUN!

Seriously, I haven't played soccer since I was 9, but this has been a great experience since we started last May.  It's funny ... I can bike 60 miles easily, swim a mile without thinking twice, run 6 to 7 miles and even tie all three together once in a while for a respectable time.  But sprinting around a soccer field (arena) is brutal!  I definitely use different muscles, I always come away sore, and it's tough just to be on the field, competitively, for 7 minute stretches.

Add to that that I have (in 8 months) broken two fingers, torn my quads multiple times (twice on the Friday nights before Sunday races), and the tooth that I got knocked loose tonight that I feel will fall out within a week, and I think I must be crazy for continuing while trying to get ready for some triathlons. 

Did I mention that it was fun?  

2009-01-24 2:32 AM
in reply to: #1926365

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
IceManScott - 2009-01-23 7:33 PM

- How often should you be doing the 140 mile week for an IM?  Are you shooting to peak there just once before the taper period before the race or is that a normal week.  (If so, I'm buying a gun.  It will be quicker than killing myself the other way.)

Multiple weeks. If you look at the BT Beginner Ironman plan, for instance, the peak week would work out to over 180 miles (for someone averaging 15.5 mph bike, 10:00/mile run, 2:00/100 swim). And two weeks later, three weeks before the end of the plan, it still has you doing around 140 miles.

For perspective: I'm currently averaging around 100 or more miles of training a week in around 9-10 hours. Now that'll change as my employment situation changes (it will shortly), but I'm considering 7-9 hours as a base. I'll back off that also as I shift more to marathon training this spring (which is partly why I'm pushing as hard as I am as early as I am to build bike and swim fitness). There's a risk of overtraining and injury if you peak too early.

But if you look at the plans, you'll see numerous weeks over 12 hours total volume (and I'd always encourage anyone thinking about an IM to make sure they have the time available to reach that level of training volume). Which makes sense if you think about needing your body to get used to somewhere between 13 and 17 hours of continuous exercise...training plans spread that over multiple days during the training peak period and intersperse that with individual long swim, bike, or run sessions that get close to what you'd spend on each on your IM day.

- Terri Schneider told me she has lots of folks she trains who are advised to take an ultra marathon approach to the marathon run in the IM.  10 minutes run, 2 minutes walk from the start.  Don't run and run until you are toast to start it. That's for people like me who plan to try to finish rather than win the age group.

Everyone's goals and dreams are particular to them, of course. I think it's important to remember that there are more options than "finish" and "win the age group", though...I see that distinction used a lot on BT (and elsewhere) and it tends to be a little dismissive of the large percentage of people taking on the IM and HIM distances to hit the best time they can without any expectation of winning, as opposed to being focused on finishing above all.

I won't win my age group. But I'd be very surprised (even in my late 40s) if I don't finish...barring actual injury or mechanical failure on the bike. My goal is to race the race. That might mean 16:30 or it might mean 11:30...won't know until the day. But in my personal situation, I know that I wouldn't be satisfied not training to run the IM marathon. That's me. And it doesn't mean I won't bonk and have to walk some or most of it (that happened to me in my first marathon).

For people who don't have the prior run preparation to attempt to run the course, then certainly a planned run/walk is both prudent and very common for age groupers. Really being clear-eyed about both goals and level of preparation are key for everyone. It really is the right thing for a lot of folks to be prepared to have to walk the whole distance...you see that happen in a lot of race reports. (And you may see it in mine come August...who knows.)

2009-01-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1926474

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck in your race this weekend, Lynn! You'll do great!

Scott,

With the SRAM buy, does that mean you're not flying out to Cali to buy a tri bike?  I've got a table waiting at Vigilucci's for lunch when you're here   (Lynn, you're invited, too!)

Good luck in your race, Lynn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, guys. I'm excited for it now that I've not put so much pressure on myself.

Vigi's sounds yummy. And, whoever signs up for the SD Int'l -- I'll probably see you there, maybe we can set an intention to meet up. First things first.

Responding to the marathon pacing-- I'm going to explore the Galloway method of 9 minutes running to 1 walk or 8 and 2 once I start my marathon training in earnest. I think it's a great strategy for an IM, too. Apparently you use different muscles for walking vs. running and even that short break gives your body a chance to recoup/recover. FWIW-

Have a great weekend everyone. And, uh, Morgan, Pretty intense soccer there. 

2009-01-24 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I won't be coming to a California for a bike.  I got a deal on an Orbea Ordu frame while you were gone.  Doing a build. I'm psyched.  I have to buy the bars and wheels still.  That's in the works.

So let me ask - Galloway?  Where can I learn more.  Got a first name?  8:2 or 9:1, does Galloway have a reason to choose those ratios?  Schneider suggested 10:2, and said that was what ultra marathoners use.  She said the key was to start the run:walk from the start.  Don't wait until you are already toast.  Use it throughout. 

2009-01-24 9:54 PM
in reply to: #1927332

User image

Master
Vista, CA
IceManScott - 2009-01-24 6:14 PM

I won't be coming to a California for a bike.  I got a deal on an Orbea Ordu frame while you were gone.  Doing a build. I'm psyched.  I have to buy the bars and wheels still.  That's in the works.

So let me ask - Galloway?  Where can I learn more.  Got a first name?  8:2 or 9:1, does Galloway have a reason to choose those ratios?  Schneider suggested 10:2, and said that was what ultra marathoners use.  She said the key was to start the run:walk from the start.  Don't wait until you are already toast.  Use it throughout.

Here's a link to a pretty good article about Jeff Galloway-- 

http://walking-running-training.suite101.com/article.cfm/running_and_walking

Sorry if you have to cut/paste. My computer skills are sketchy. Also might check out his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com

It'ssimliar to what Schneider is saying. 

2009-01-24 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Lynn,

What time is your start tomorrow?  I'm going for a ride in the morning and I hope to head over to the race finish ...

2009-01-24 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1927418

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-01-24 8:06 PM

Lynn,

What time is your start tomorrow?  I'm going for a ride in the morning and I hope to head over to the race finish ...

I've been told my wave 3 starts around 7:45. What kind of jersey will you have on? I'll look for you if I'm not too busy trying to keep my legs and lungs pumping.

2009-01-24 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Gooooooo  Lynnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-01-24 11:59 PM
in reply to: #1926136

User image

Veteran

tcovert - 2009-01-23 6:04 PM Just a general thought on training plans (since I don't use them): Definitely don't be afraid of trusting your considered judgment, listening to feedback from your body, dealing with a sense that you aren't challenging yourself enough, whatever, if you feel like making sensible adjustments to a plan. I see too many people on BT beat themselves up out of slavish devotion to their plans. I do recognize, of course, that some people need that adherence for psychological reasons (like, they won't train if they allow themselves "slack". In general, you aren't going to hurt yourself if: --You limit increases in either your longest session in a discipline or total volume in a week in a discipline to no more than ~10%. --You don't fail to dial back your volume in each discipline every fourth week (more or less) for recovery. --Allow yourself a taper period before the race to consolidate your training adaptations. I really believe in three basic targets in training for a new race distance (or for a first time in a race): --Build your longest session in any given discipline to at least ~80% of the distance you'll be racing (for anything other than a marathon, I'd actually recommend going beyond that). --Build to where your minimum weekly volume in any given distance is equivalent to what you'll be racing. --Accomplish the above by taper deadline. E.g., if you are training for your first half marathon, I'd suggest building to where you are running at least 13 miles a week AND have done at least one run of 10.5 or more miles. (Obviously, in a week where you do a 10+ mile training run, your total run volume will be more than 13 miles...at that point, 13 miles in a week would be a minimum volume in a recovery week.) For an Ironman, your body should...IMO...be adapted to regular minimum training loads of at least 140.6 miles a week (less no more than 10% or 125 miles) and your longest sessions should be at least 3200 yds swim, 90 miles bike, and (really no more than) 20 miles run. Others will say you don't need more than 16 miles or so on the run for IM training...but I'd have a look at the results and the history of those who say that. Some have done standalone marathons in the past and others...well, others are going into the IM expecting to walk some or all of the marathon. Again, that's just my approach and it is not built on any scientific principles, just personal experience, common sense...and a smidgen of research. YMMV...

Todd, I think what you said here is pure gold

Jake

2009-01-25 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1927409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
lmscozz - 2009-01-24 9:54 PM
IceManScott - 2009-01-24 6:14 PM

Here's a link to a pretty good article about Jeff Galloway-- 

http://walking-running-training.suite101.com/article.cfm/running_and_walking

Sorry if you have to cut/paste. My computer skills are sketchy. Also might check out his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com

It'ssimliar to what Schneider is saying. 

That is great information.  Very positive.  The idea of running steady for 26.2 miles after 112 on a bike is pretty overwhelming.  I think I could actually build up to do a marathon over time non stop but to do it at the end of an Ironman seems daunting.  When Schneider mentioned it, it opened possibilities and to know lots of people are doing it as a training regime to avoid injury is great information.  Thank you.

2009-01-25 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Scott,

Cool news about the bike ... you'll hav to post pics when you're finished!

Lynn,

How'd it go this morning?  I went for a ride and watched the race a bit at the La Costa turn-around, and saw some very tired faces   Fill us in!

2009-01-25 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hi all -- Race went pretty well. Don't know my time though. My Garmin wigged out and the results aren't posted. Somewhere around 2:00 though. I probably slowed myself down some fidgiting with the watch. I'll post details when I get them. Thank you all for your support. Can't wait til one of you races next.. Woo-hoo. I'm a bit tired, but doing all right otherwise. I left a lot out on the streets of Carlsbad though.
2009-01-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1927332

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
IceManScott - 2009-01-24 9:14 PM

A lot of people in my running club swear by the Galloway method.  It helps you conserve energy for the end of the race when everybody else is starting to fade/bonk out.  I don't necessarily follow the Galloway method of running a 1/2 mile within a certain time followed by walking, but I do swear by intervals.  3 miles is my non-stop running max - if I have to run anything over three miles then I break it up into 10 minutes of running to 2 minutes of walking intervals.  I have found that my pace during the running intervals is a lot faster than it ever has been before (I used to just run until I got tired, walk for a bit, run some more until I was tired again, etc) and that 2 min is the perfect amount of time for a short recovery.

2009-01-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1927971

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

lmscozz - 2009-01-25 3:54 PM Hi all -- Race went pretty well. Don't know my time though. My Garmin wigged out and the results aren't posted. Somewhere around 2:00 though. I probably slowed myself down some fidgiting with the watch. I'll post details when I get them. Thank you all for your support. Can't wait til one of you races next.. Woo-hoo. I'm a bit tired, but doing all right otherwise. I left a lot out on the streets of Carlsbad though.

Lynn, I can't wait to hear about your race!  I am happy that it went well! 

I am having issues with my Garmin too - it took 5 minutes just for mine to turn on yesterday, yikes!

2009-01-25 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Hello everyone,

So yesterday I ran outside for the first time since December (I have been on the dreaded treadmill since then!) and it was AWESOME... I can't wait for my upcoming 5K!!!  I ran 5 miles and I came across two steep hills which felt like nothing.  I can honestly say that I can really feel a difference in the way that I feel before, during, and after running since I re-dedicated myself to my training plan, instead of slacking like I have in the past.  I am so excited!!!

2009-01-25 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Found the Carlsbad results (not linked from the race site yet) - Lynn looks to be: 1:59:20

Sub -2...way to go, Lynn!

2009-01-25 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

THank you, Todd!! I'm happy with it. I just ran and at the split saw that under 2 was doable, but didn't put pressure on. I'll bookmark that site for future races. Appreciate you're looking out for me.

And, Ambular -- There is joy to be found in running and I'm so glad you are discovering it.

2009-01-25 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Lynn, excellent and early in the year, too!  Way to go!

2009-01-25 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran

Again, Lynn great job! It's fun to have a member of the group race (and do outstanding I might add). It'll be cool to see everyone else's races and get to cheer them on as well!

Jake

2009-01-26 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good morning (or evening), all! Welcome to a brand new week!

Once again, great job yesterday, Lynn...really outstanding time and I so happy for you that you beat your goal.

I was all set to hunker down due to forecast bad weather this week, but things appear to have changed and the rain has moved off. Planning a short trainer ride tonight after doing a lot of miles the last three days, but now might be able to hit the roads this evening.

This week's plans:

Today - Ride 40 min (trainer or roads)
Tues - Run 3-4 miles (probably intervals)
Wed - Ride 50-60 min
Thur - Swim AM / Run 5 miles PM
Fri - Ride hills
Sat - Swim AM, then run 10 miles
Sun - Ride 50 miles

This will be a peak week for swim and bike, but a recovery week for the run (my run mileage ranges betw. about 17 and 30 miles a week in general, so this is at the low end for me).

What's up for all of y'all?
2009-01-26 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Todd,

Advice time here ...

I've got a 5k this weekend and a sprint coming up in about 3 weeks.  I'm doing the 5k pretty much to run it as fast as I can to get the feel of running this part of the sprint, in a group, with a new intensity.  3.1 miles is not all that hard for me anymore, so I'm not looking at this as a major race or anything, more like a good training run.

So my question is, would you consider any kind of tapering this week, or is it "business as usual" simply with an intense short run on Sunday?  I'm not out to win (the 5k) or anything, just testing myself.  Would love your thoughts ...

2009-01-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1929079

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2009-01-26 8:44 AM

Todd,

Advice time here ...

I've got a 5k this weekend and a sprint coming up in about 3 weeks.  I'm doing the 5k pretty much to run it as fast as I can to get the feel of running this part of the sprint, in a group, with a new intensity.  3.1 miles is not all that hard for me anymore, so I'm not looking at this as a major race or anything, more like a good training run.

So my question is, would you consider any kind of tapering this week, or is it "business as usual" simply with an intense short run on Sunday?  I'm not out to win (the 5k) or anything, just testing myself.  Would love your thoughts ...

In that situation, I'd just take it easy on the run after Tuesday, but you can stick with normal workouts on bike and swim (esp. swim) the rest of the week.

I don't taper much for shorter distances (sprint tris and 5K/10K runs) and I think there is a conventional wisdom out there that alot of people over-taper for those, at least in the sense of shortchanging themselves on training for races later in the season by cutting back too much or too soon (I agree with that). So the question is: At what point do you need to taper for the sprint tri? This week is probably earlier than you need to taper. However, you won't really gain much fitness _specifically for the sprint_ with the training you do in the last three weeks before the race. What I'd probably be basing my decision about how much rest how soon on would be whether I'm feeling good or have any nagging injuries to heal up.

FWIW, I'm one of those people who will go out and do a really easy two-to-three mile run the day before a marathon to "stay loose". I don't believe there's much actual physical benefit to that, but it helps me stay focused mentally and I think the mental aspect of competition is every bit as important as physical preparation.

Hope that made some sort of sense...
2009-01-26 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Thanks!  And yeah, I'm not too worried about the fitness for the upcoming sprint (not that I'm in any position to win or anything, I'll finish), so I'm not training all that hard right now.  I'll step it up soon for a sprint in May and the San Diego Oly in June, but I'm not too worried about properly tapering for this sprint in February.

Thanks again!

2009-01-26 12:15 PM

User image

Master
One more comment about the Galloway method ... a lot of people walk the aid stations in the IM. That would be about a minute or two, depending what you took, etc.
2009-01-26 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1929287

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-01-26 10:15 AM

One more comment about the Galloway method ... a lot of people walk the aid stations in the IM. That would be about a minute or two, depending what you took, etc.

In my experience that's very common, even for some very good runners and esp. in marathons, IM, and HIM. In general, though, I'd say it isn't more than a minute for most people. I'd also consider that to be an approach somewhat apart from the Galloway system (mostly because a lot of people aren't timing their walks at the aid stations, they are walking not just to get heart rate down, but often to facilitate taking in hydration and/or nutrition).

Full disclosure: I have issues with the Galloway method. My reasons are mostly philosophical and tend to push buttons in a forum like BT, though, so I've been weighing whether to post on the subject or not. For the moment, I'm holding off.

Edited by tcovert 2009-01-26 1:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45