BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-07-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
Was going to go swimming this morning.  Figured a rest day was better so I worked and finished my Escape from Alcatraz RR (only 3 weeks later...)

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=167699

2009-07-04 11:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

4000 ish yard ows on Friday, 116 mile bike ride (6:38:30) in low 90's and head and crosswinds most of the way (only 15 miles of tailwind)  5000 feet of climbing and 17 mile am run 4 mile pm run tomorrow.  I drank like 160 oz ish of water on the bike so dry.  Longest previous bike ride was 100 miles, you do feel those last 16 miles.  So I got the close store (58 miles out) to get water and a snickers bar.... sold out of snickers soo unfair.    

So do people really run after the 112 mile bike ride, I am so beat I am leaning towards packing kneepads in T2? 

2009-07-05 7:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Oh my gosh that 17 mile run his morning took the wind out of my sails.  I had to take a 4 hour nap afterwards to get some semblence of normality back.  Hit quite a fatigue wall at 10 miles and then it was just suck it up time for the next 7 miles.  Oh well, time to go for an evening run. 
2009-07-06 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2263265

User image

Master
Baowolf - 2009-07-05 7:51 PM Oh my gosh that 17 mile run his morning took the wind out of my sails.  I had to take a 4 hour nap afterwards to get some semblence of normality back.  Hit quite a fatigue wall at 10 miles and then it was just suck it up time for the next 7 miles.  Oh well, time to go for an evening run. 

What a weekend!!!!!!!!!!! Great for you!! You put sooooo much in the bank for your race! Really! I'm sure you were totally wiped -- lucky you got that nap in! How did the evening run go? Crazy you are, just crazy. I love it.

And yeah, I guess people really do run after 112 on the bike. Why, I don't know. Will you tell me why after you do it??? Wink
2009-07-12 5:25 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So anyone know what to do about a minor calf pull 3 weeks before a first IM 8(. 
2009-07-12 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2279548

User image

Master
San Francisco
Baowolf - 2009-07-12 3:25 PM So anyone know what to do about a minor calf pull 3 weeks before a first IM 8(. 

Yikes Steve.  Usual stuff.  RICE.  I tore a calf last year and that was basically my regimen (saw a sports doc and did PT) and strength excercises, but if it's just a minor pull, just RICE probably.

2009-07-12 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Oh no!!! What happened?? So sorry and I hope it heals up fast!!
2009-07-12 7:56 PM

User image

Baowolf - 2009-07-12 6:25 PM So anyone know what to do about a minor calf pull 3 weeks before a first IM 8(. 

Oh no! If it's minor, you should be okay 3 weeks out as long as you don't re-injure it, which is easy to do. After RICE & massage for a few days, take it super easy when you first run, avoid hills, and try to stay off pavement. If you feel anything in your calf, back off immediately and give yourself a few more days of RICE. I re-injured mine 4 or 5 times last winter by trying to go too far too fast too soon. If I'd given myself a little longer to recover the first time I could have saved myself months of frustration. This article helped - check it out and see if it sounds right.

At least this close to race day you've already put in the work - just give yourself the time you need to recover! Good luck, and keep us posted!
2009-07-14 2:03 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Baowolf - 2009-07-12 3:25 PM So anyone know what to do about a minor calf pull 3 weeks before a first IM 8(. 

Steve, how's the calf?
2009-07-14 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Don't know, I have been staying off of it.  Not sure if I should try some lite biking, stay off the running for a week etc. etc.  I was thinking of doing a lite walk jog walk thing on Sunday. 

Not sure about biking this week at all though, sigh.  I didn't twist it, step in a hole, kick a rock or anything.  It doesn't feel serious, but I reallllly don't want to agrivate it 2 1/2 weeks out. 
2009-07-15 7:17 PM

User image

, Arizona
Sooooooo.... first tri is coming up! This SUNDAY! I'm really happy with my training and I don't feel any "wish I had trained more" regret, getting up at 5:00am to go swim is something I never in my life thought I would be doing (I'm not a morning person or a swimmer so it's a big thing for me). I'm a little dissapointed my knee issue never got resolved, but it's only 3 miles so I'll survive the race and keep working on it (had an MRI last week, no results yet).

I know the course and I've got my transition order sort of figured out, I'll practice again before the race to make sure.

I went to a running store and noticed the had race belts... do I need a belt?? I don't plan on taking any food/water with me, but do I need it to put my number on? I'd rather not have one if I don't need it, just wondering what I'm going to do with my number (if there is one).

Still a little worried about the swim, apparently all the men sprinters go in the same wave... so 200-250 racers, I'll definitely be on the outside near the back and making sure to go slow. It will probably be fine, just pre-race anxiety.

I'm very excited, I know I'm going to have a blast and I probably won't sleep at all the night before. Any advice for the last few days before the race?

2009-07-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2288142

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Hey Synon, good luck and have fun with your FIRST TRI! You've come a long way on your swim.

I use a race belt for my number bib and I keep the belt on top of my running shoes so I don't forget it. Basically organizationally just keep your bike stuff together and your run stuff together. If you have a fav gel then include those as well with your bike/run stuff, but unlikely you'll need any nutrition for a sprint. Typically they'll have at least water on the run.

For the swim you got it, just start in the back and let everyone go before you. If clockwise swim then be in the back left. If counterclockwise, back right. And just relax and don't start too fast... if you start getting nervous or get hit with anxiety, just tread water and re-compose yourself.

Best of luck!
2009-07-15 8:02 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
treehugger, great article on calf injury recovery strategy.
2009-07-15 11:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes thanks for the calf article.  I will let you know how things go, I am basically following that advice for now.  I have gone 3 days with no running or biking without going bonkers... well maybe a little, 4200 yard swim today.  I am going to wait a good 6-7 days before doing any walk.jog walk thing.  Hopefully by the end of next week i will have a  good idea about how I am doing. 

Luck on that first tri.  200-250 is not bad ofr a swim wave, just put yourself in the back third and slightly outside and you will be fine. 
2009-07-17 5:10 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Synon - 2009-07-15 5:17 PM Sooooooo.... first tri is coming up! This SUNDAY! I'm really happy with my training and I don't feel any "wish I had trained more" regret, getting up at 5:00am to go swim is something I never in my life thought I would be doing (I'm not a morning person or a swimmer so it's a big thing for me). I'm a little dissapointed my knee issue never got resolved, but it's only 3 miles so I'll survive the race and keep working on it (had an MRI last week, no results yet).

I know the course and I've got my transition order sort of figured out, I'll practice again before the race to make sure.

I went to a running store and noticed the had race belts... do I need a belt?? I don't plan on taking any food/water with me, but do I need it to put my number on? I'd rather not have one if I don't need it, just wondering what I'm going to do with my number (if there is one).

Still a little worried about the swim, apparently all the men sprinters go in the same wave... so 200-250 racers, I'll definitely be on the outside near the back and making sure to go slow. It will probably be fine, just pre-race anxiety.

I'm very excited, I know I'm going to have a blast and I probably won't sleep at all the night before. Any advice for the last few days before the race?

Hey, eric.  Should be a exciting for you.  Can't wait to hear about it next week.  I'd say a race belt is very helpful (and inexpensive).  Otherwise, you can pin it on your top for the swim if you're wearing a wetsuit (I'm guessing not) since it'll be underneath or if not, are you planning to put on a top in T1?  If you're putting on a top in T1, you can pin it on beforehand, but it's tricky to put on a top when your body is wet.  So, in the end, I'd say go with the race belt.

Are you using some kind of quick or elastic laces?  That's also another cheap way to save time in T2, but no necessary, esp. for your first.

After you set up transition, do a walkthrough of wear you come out of the water to your transition area.  You'll probably be a bit light headed coming out of the water and it can be disorienting trying to find your transition area.  do the walkthrough to the bike out and from the bike in back to your transition area so you know how to find it when you get back.

Don't go out to hard on the swim (sounds like you're tempering that already).  Don't change your eating habits the day before (don't try to get fancy - just go with tried and true).  Trust in your training, have fun, and be sure to tell us all about it!
2009-07-17 8:50 PM

User image

Have a great time, Eric! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

2009-07-20 12:35 AM

User image

, Arizona
WOW! Today was amazing!!! I felt great and it was such a perfect day and course for racing. The swim wasn't bad at all and I went much much faster than I thought I would. I bumped up against a few people but I was expecting it to be a lot worse. The bike was fantastic, I was flying the whole way and felt very strong. Run was also very good, little further than a 5k (according to the route manager) and looking at the times it definite was longer, the bike was actually a little shorter, I guess it doesn't matter since everyone is doing the same course. My knee didn't hurt at all during the run which I was really happy about, of course later today it was pretty sore and my stomach felt terrible, we couldn't find anything to eat after the race which probably would have helped.

Race report is up! Thank you all so much for your support and advice, I'll definitely be doing more!
2009-07-20 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2295231

User image

Synon - 2009-07-20 1:35 AM WOW! Today was amazing!!! I felt great and it was such a perfect day and course for racing. The swim wasn't bad at all and I went much much faster than I thought I would. I bumped up against a few people but I was expecting it to be a lot worse. The bike was fantastic, I was flying the whole way and felt very strong. Run was also very good, little further than a 5k (according to the route manager) and looking at the times it definite was longer, the bike was actually a little shorter, I guess it doesn't matter since everyone is doing the same course. My knee didn't hurt at all during the run which I was really happy about, of course later today it was pretty sore and my stomach felt terrible, we couldn't find anything to eat after the race which probably would have helped.

Race report is up! Thank you all so much for your support and advice, I'll definitely be doing more!

"WOW!" is right! You guys will want to read Eric's race report - he totally rocked it! Congratulations on a fantastic race!! 
2009-07-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2295463

User image

Master
San Francisco

"WOW!" is right! You guys will want to read Eric's race report - he totally rocked it! Congratulations on a fantastic race!! 

Yeah, he rocked it for sure.  He also took a page out of Jules' book - he finished first in his AG on his first race.  WOW!!!
2009-07-20 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Wow, some people are doing some great things, both girls seem to be kicking butt (1st in AG, grats) and baowolf is a monster.  Just ease back into it, you don't want to blow up that calf.

I've been training pretty hard for my Oly in Oct.  I have 2 5k's in between, and a 8 mile run up a mountain, from 6k to 10k elevation.  I set a pretty agressive training plan and decided I'm not going to change it at all until I get 4 weeks in;  my biggest problem has always been toning down schedules and this time I was to train on the edge and pass that hump I've been chasing.

I ran my first tri with little fanfare last month.  Since it was a Sprint I don't consider it an official 'tri' since its a very unconventional (5k, 9m bike, 300m swim).  I didn't do as good as I thought but it had to do with it being 90 degrees at start, and a lady crashing into a telephone pole at 40mph (she lived, and that's all I know).  Heat just saps my energy on runs. 

2009-07-20 5:08 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Nice first tri.... 1st in age group, wow, maybe in 10 years I will do that 8). 

I am going lite on the running.  I took 6 days off with no run, then did a 3 mile run, took a day off did a 4 mile run, and tomorrow is off, so slowly working on it.  I am also icing after every run preventatively and only doing low intensity on the run and on the bike, no hills.   And well stretching litely 2-3 times a day 8).   

The really, really amazing thing however is... that on my 4200 yard swim today, I completed it 24 mintues faster than last weeks swim in the same pool of the same distance.  This really brings home to me the fact that you need to be in the pool 3x a week to see any real progress.  All winter I was hitting the pool twice a week due to how far I had to drive and well I could increase the distance a little, but not the speed.  Today is really awsome I finished in 1:23:44 for 4200 yards and that incldes ducking under the mid pool rope and bouncing through kids for the last 1200 yards after the meeesly 1 hour lap swim time was over.  Still not fast, but 24 minutes is huge. 

Oh well time to eat.  Keep up the good work guys.

2009-07-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2297122

User image

Baowolf - I'm glad to hear your calf is doing better. You're being very patient about easing back into the running! And congratulations on the great swim the other day! I bet all the OWS you do makes the pool feel easy (and warm!).
2009-07-21 9:48 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
BTW, Bryan did the Donner Lake tri this past weekend.  Finished in just over 3 hours.  perhaps he'll tell us all a bit more about it.
2009-07-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2298472

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
enginerd - 2009-07-21 7:48 AM

BTW, Bryan did the Donner Lake tri this past weekend. Finished in just over 3 hours. perhaps he'll tell us all a bit more about it.

I've been terribly remiss about doing RR's the last couple of years. This is the first full Oly tri that I've done (due to bizarre circumstances in prior years). It was a carry-over credit from last year when the race was canceled due to the wildfires. The course is beautiful. More hills than I was expecting on the bike. I've been behind on my training for Vineman IM so I didn't do any taper for this race, basically just a high intensity training day.

The race is very scenic, the lake water tastes wonderfully sweet if you happen to swallow any, and it has a small race feel to it. Race ownership changed this year so they have a few kinks to work out, like not enough volunteers, but overall a wonderful experience... The sprint tri is on the same day so everyone is together. Fun stuff.

2009-07-22 6:02 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Oh yeah, and pre-race I forgoed the standard pasta route and went for Japanese food at a relatively new place in Truckee called Drunken Monkey. Its fusion-y, but had a nice vibe to it. Lots of other racers eating there so good company and conversation.

And on the way back to SF, I stopped by a little store called Ikeda's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/ikedas-california-country-market-auburn). They make fresh fruit pies every day. The blueberry pie was excellent. I also got some new fruit jams to try for my standard pre-race meal of Vital Vittles toast and jam.

I must be getting old, but food is sometimes the highlight of race weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27