BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-04-23 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2104537

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: stadium workout
mammatri's - 2009-04-23 6:20 AM Today is my stadium workout! I'm now equipped with an 8# medicine ball and a jumprope! I also got a new running skort (never wore one before, but I think they're cute) and top for more motivation! I'll let you know how it goes! I haven't been on my bike all week. I'm a little bummed about that. May substitute it for my long swim tomorrow since I don't have time for both and swimming has been going ok. Running planned for Sat. &  Sun. It will be hot. Dh and I will probably set up a water station and make 1.5-2 mile loops.

Stacie, just relax about your race. Those jitters are so normal and you can bet everybody else has them too. But you're very well prepared for this. You're gonna have a great time and you're gonna do just fine!

CATHY.  arent you all decked out and ready to ROCK your stadium workout.  WOOO HOOOO FOR YOU!  medicine ball, jumprope AND new running skort (what brand????  im on the hunt for the perfect running skirt.....i think theyre cute too, just havent found one where i LOVE the fit, yet....)

ill take motivation from wherever i can get it, i always say. 

its gonna be hot here on the wknd too.  low 80s on race day!

thanks for your support/encouragement!
stacieb

2009-04-23 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Did the stadium workout!! yay!! It was fun and challenging. We plan to do one every week. Lots of plyometrics and jumping rope, etc. When I got home, I threw in a quick bike ride. Have a hair appt this afternoon and a party to go to later tonight. Too bad my house is a disaster!

Stacie, the skort is from Champion. I got it at Target. I was very comfortable in it today. Dh thinks it's cute, too.

Have a great day, everybody!
2009-04-23 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: bought a bike...and other stuff
Well Ladies and Gents!   I have finally done it!  I bought a bike!!!    After weeks of looking, reading, researching, questioning and basically driving my family NUTS,  I made a decision and got.....drum roll....the '07 Specialized Ruby Comp!!!   I am really, really excited to get it.   Paid today.    My dear mother stepped in and paid for half.    I came to this decision after riding a Trek at the LBS the other day.  Not that I didn't like the Trek, but I realized that I was not going to find a better deal than the Ruby  - a $2500 bike for $600 - and I am sure it will fit very well.   The Trek men's bike made me feel quite stretched out so I think I will enjoy the WSD.    Thanks to all of you for the tremendous support you gave me!   I couldn't have done it and felt so much peace about it without you!

Cathy - the workout sounds great!   My neice has a Crossfit gym in CO Springs and showed me a few things to do with a medicine ball.   I bought a 10# one while in AZ.     I really love running skirts!  I know some think they are silly, but they make me feel good.  I don't really like myself in short shorts.    I tried the skirts from Target but they don't fit me right.   I have a NB that I really like (although the compression shorts ride up) and another that I just found at a consignment shop - haven't run in it yet and don't remember the brand.

Stacie - I am having race day jitters right along with you!   Crazy, but true!   I know you will do great and we will all be with you in spirit!   Can't wait to read your RR.

Beth - great run the other day!   I posted on my blog yesterday that I tried that Trek HR calculator and it seemed to be really true to my body signals.  

Carole - how's the training going?   Did you decide on a plan yet?   I am using this crazy combo of a BT plan, the TriNewbie plan and the Trek plan.    Seems to be working so far??

Lauren  - I seem to remember you asking about a swimming coach.   Did you meet with one yet?   The guy I met through Ebay when I was looking at his Cervelo Tri Bike has turned out to be a lot of help.  He is moving to OH (I think) but hooked me up with Wendy Mader in Fort Collins.   She won the overall age group for amateurs last year in Kona!   I meet with her on Friday morning.   She is going to check out my stroke and give me a few pointers.  I can't afford much more than that with all the recent purchases.     I am looking forward to it though.   And the guy from Ebay...gave me a helmet!

Bill - how is the swimming going????

TR
- sorry about your shocking news the other day.    It will be good to see the results of the blood work.   I know that thyroid can be a major player in unexpected weight gain as can hormone stuff.   But you know all that.   Just remember that we are all here rooting for you!    I agree with the others who have said fish might be a good addition during your more intense training times.  

To everyone else....happy training today!  

Blessings,
Sharie
2009-04-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2105672

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: bought a bike...and other stuff
Congratulations Sharie!

Enjoy the new bike ... let us know when it gets a name.
(Mine is still called "The Bike" after 3 years, but note the capitals ... wait - is it weird to name your bike? My colleague names all her house plants after various muscles in the body ... and my ex named all his motorcycles ...)
2009-04-23 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: another training site
I am on the Iron Girl mailing list and they sent this new program they are offering.  There are some free plans and then a bunch of videos that you can download.   I haven't really checked it out very much, but thought I would send it along in case anyone was interested.

http://www.mypipeline.com

Here is a promo code for one free workout video ;  D98D6C2A
2009-04-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2105722

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Hmmm....a name....never thought of that!  I have never been much of a "namer".    Couldn't even decide on a name for our 2nd ds, but had to do something or they wouldn't let me leave the hospital!! LOL   Not very original, but the first thing that comes to mind is "Ruby".   Maybe I should wait until I get a few rides in.

Some other bothersome questions:
-do you wear socks in bike shoes?   If so, the same socks as your running shoes?

-do you typically wear a paper number during a race for the bike and run?   If you wear the same clothes for the entire race then do you pin it on quickly?   In the TriNewbie plans he discusses T1 and says you should have your number pinned on your shirt already.

-for a sprint tri do you typically refuel with a gel or something?   My guess is that would be good to do on the bike phase.

- for any Garmin 305 owners....which bike kit do you buy?   I looked again on Amazon and there seem to be several.  One that looks like it has a velcro strap that replaces the rubber watch strap and another one that doesn't have the strap.  My assumption is that you take the watch off of your wrist and put it on this "holder" on the handlebars??   I would think it would be time consuming to detach and put back on your wrist especially during a race.

- i need to get water bottle holders for the bike  - any suggestions

- I need to get a "wedge" pack (???) I think that is the little bag behind the seat to hold tools, etc.   Suggestions on this and also...what do I need to put in it??

Enough for now! 
Sharie

2009-04-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2105806

User image

Melon Presser
ranchrunner - 2009-04-23 2:05 PM Hmmm....a name....never thought of that!  I have never been much of a "namer".    Couldn't even decide on a name for our 2nd ds, but had to do something or they wouldn't let me leave the hospital!! LOL   Not very original, but the first thing that comes to mind is "Ruby".   Maybe I should wait until I get a few rides in.

Ruby is a fine name. But you may find that the bike names itself . I've had bikes named Stealth Tango, Chelsea, and currently I have War Horse (giant old rusty cruiser I use to commute) and The Wizard (my road bike).

Some other bothersome questions:
-do you wear socks in bike shoes?   If so, the same socks as your running shoes?

Yes, and yes. Some people train without socks so that they don't need to bother with them on race day, but no need to do this if you're just starting out!

-do you typically wear a paper number during a race for the bike and run?   If you wear the same clothes for the entire race then do you pin it on quickly?   In the TriNewbie plans he discusses T1 and says you should have your number pinned on your shirt already.

What you need to do is get or order a race belt. It's an elastic strap that goes around your waist that has snaps or loops for the paper number. (I've found, in dire straits, that a shoelace threaded through the punched holes on the paper and tied around your waist works just fine). Usually you only are required to wear it during the run, but it's wise to put it on during T1 just in case you forget on T2.

-for a sprint tri do you typically refuel with a gel or something?   My guess is that would be good to do on the bike phase.

You don't really need to refuel during a sprint unless it's a fairly long one. Eat breakfast 3 hrs before race start to give it a chance to fully get out of your stomach, and then pop a gel or some sports drink 10 minutes before race start. If you like, you can have some Gatorade on the bike for calories and thirst.

- for any Garmin 305 owners....which bike kit do you buy?   I looked again on Amazon and there seem to be several.  One that looks like it has a velcro strap that replaces the rubber watch strap and another one that doesn't have the strap.  My assumption is that you take the watch off of your wrist and put it on this "holder" on the handlebars??   I would think it would be time consuming to detach and put back on your wrist especially during a race.

- i need to get water bottle holders for the bike  - any suggestions

El cheapo screw-in ones from the bike shop or ordered online should work fine. Some people like Camelbaks (I do) for easy drinking on the bike, but you should still have a backup bottle of water on the bike itself. One thing to practice is drinking on the bike (do this in a safe place first!) where you remove the water bottle, drink, and put it back.

- I need to get a "wedge" pack (???) I think that is the little bag behind the seat to hold tools, etc.   Suggestions on this and also...what do I need to put in it??

It's called a saddle bag ... get one that can fit two spare tubes, CO2 cartridges, adapter for the cartridges, tire levers (they look kind of like small very strong plastic spoons without much of a spoon end), and a bike tool (a set of small hex wrenches, usually). It also helps to have a couple valve stem adapters in there since you'll be pumping up your tires manually before each ride. They look like little washers and will fit your stem to any standard bike pump.

If you get a bike pump, remember to get one that will inflate to 120 lbs/in2. Most recreational ones don't go that high.
2009-04-23 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: mmmm ... swimming
BILL - I went for a swim today ... did you?

I forgot how much I absolutely love the water. Swimming is just awesome.
2009-04-23 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2105672

User image

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Sharie- Congrats on the new bike!  I am still hunting one myself...I did decide on a training plan.  I'm using the Michael Pates total sprint one but I started about 4 weeks in.  The swim part and run parts are good for me at this point but I feel a little like the bike part is a little low so I may be tweaking it, even though currently all my biking is done in the gym.

As far as names go...My suburban has a name- Judy....mainly because of the navigation system.  Maybe one will come to you Smile

Carole
2009-04-23 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2106704

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
happybunny - 2009-04-23 8:08 PM Sharie- Congrats on the new bike!  I am still hunting one myself...I did decide on a training plan.  I'm using the Michael Pates total sprint one but I started about 4 weeks in.  The swim part and run parts are good for me at this point but I feel a little like the bike part is a little low so I may be tweaking it, even though currently all my biking is done in the gym.

As far as names go...My suburban has a name- Judy....mainly because of the navigation system.  Maybe one will come to you Smile

Carole

That's great Sharie, and it's totally fine to start part way into the plan

You'll have to let us know how it works for you

2009-04-23 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: Sharie's new Bike

Congrats to you and your new bike I hope you have many happy miles together!!  I named my bike Mystic black and blue she is a mysterious one!!

As for me training hasn't been like nil.  Real life sure can get in the way.  Things will get better and I will get back at it.  I need to set up some swim lessons I am starting running again next week and the biking has been going ok.

Thanks for the Inspires I do read them I am doing some little stuff but forget about the logs.

2009-04-23 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Sharie's bike
So glad you finally found your bike! I know you'll love her. My bike doesn't have a name. Maybe she is missing out. Sometimes it does feel like we have a real relationship. It's just her and me against the world. Except when I get a flat. Then it's just me against her and  the world. Oh well, I wouldn't trade her. At least not right now anyway.
2009-04-24 9:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2107611

Melon Presser
Subject: May Swim Challenge
wgraves7582 - 2009-04-24 8:11 AM

Morning Manatees.  Back from the midwest just in time for spring to hit

I won't do a backcheck but if there is something interesting let me know.

I did see a mention of a new bike in someone's possession though on a quick scan - congrats Sharie.  Sounds like you made a wise decision.

BTW - No swimming yet.  I am planning on May 1st, 3rd and back it for good starting the 5th.  Failing to plan is planning to fail!

Welcome back, Bill! No swimming yet? You know, rumor has it that an EXCELLENT swim challenge is going on during May--it seems made just for you
2009-04-24 9:21 AM

Melon Presser
Subject: Good Luck to Stacie
And for Stacie in her tri this weekend:

2009-04-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2107628

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-04-24 10:09 AM

Champion
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL

SHARIE GOT A NEW BIKE.

I GOT A NEW STOVE.

something wrong w the picture???

just kidding.  SHARIE im super silly excited for you.  im hoping to follow in your shoes and get a new bike soon.  can you spell J-0-B.

i would never think about naming my bike either (right now, im tempted to call it a big heap of.....smile) but seems quite common in tri/cycling circles. 

i didnt realize that we were both racing so close together.  GOOD LUCK TO YOU (thanks Yanti for answering all Sharies questions you answered some of mine as well.  saved me a seperate post)

WERE GONNA DO GREAT!!!! MANATEE MOJO!!!

stacieb

2009-04-24 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2106658

Champion
Subject: RE: mmmm ... swimming
SpiritFire - 2009-04-23 6:40 PM BILL - I went for a swim today ... did you? I forgot how much I absolutely love the water. Swimming is just awesome.

TR.  ive come to LOVE the water as well.  SUCH a respite.  ahhhhhh.

stacieb
2009-04-24 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2107634

Champion
Subject: RE: Good Luck to Stacie
TriAya - 2009-04-24 9:21 AM And for Stacie in her tri this weekend:

YANTI.  YOUR THE BEST.

thanks.
stacieb
2009-04-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2105597

Champion
mammatri's - 2009-04-23 11:58 AM Did the stadium workout!! yay!! It was fun and challenging. We plan to do one every week. Lots of plyometrics and jumping rope, etc. When I got home, I threw in a quick bike ride. Have a hair appt this afternoon and a party to go to later tonight. Too bad my house is a disaster!

Stacie, the skort is from Champion. I got it at Target. I was very comfortable in it today. Dh thinks it's cute, too.

Have a great day, everybody!

CATHIE. my house is always a disaster until the end of the week/rest day when i red it up.

its the price we (our houses) pay for our passion! 

as for the skort, ill chk it out the nxt time im at Target thanks for the suggestion.

and the fact that your DH thinks its cute, id say THATS MOTIVATION. 

stacieb
2009-04-24 10:26 AM

Champion
MORNIN' MANATEES.

my brief trng session at the Univ went superbly.  i drove up to where my tri is being held, scope out the bike/run course and then did a quick 550 in the pool just to get a 'feel' for the pool and the Rec Center.

serendipitiously ran into someone who did the race last year and she was EXTREMELY helpful.  gave the lay of the land, showed me where the transition area is, where the run/bike course started.

i was able to walk the entire course (it was cold, windy and drizzly so didnt ride it)

the first 1/4 is a hill.  not a steep hill, just a loooooooong hill which has me a little wigged out.

my body is TOTALLY ready to climb, but i have a PERFORMANCE HYBRID (hence wanting a new bike) and not a ROAD BIKE.  im certain to make it up the hill, i just expect it to be pretty arduous climb.

i just keep reminding myself that im there to enjoy myself.  to learn, grow, evolve, have fun.

but to think my equipment will be my LIMITER is a little bothersome.

but ive decided theres nothing i can do about it.  i put road bike tires on the bike.  everything is oiled, lubed, adjusted and race ready on my bike.

ill do my best and thats GOOD ENOUGH.

the rest, i dont have any control over.

then after i lft the Univ i decided to do my brick.  by the time i got back to down around my house the clouds had parted, the sun was shining and the temps had risen.

beautiful brick - BIKE TO RUN.  'broke in' my new road tires.  not much of an adjustment at all (i went from hybrid tires that were pretty 'smooth' to begin with....)

only did 1/2 the run.  figured id save my legs for race day, just wanted to practice the T2 one more time.  went off without at hitch, cept i almost forget to take my bike helmet off.

im sure to forget something in the RUSH of the race.  just gonna try stay RELAXED and FOCUSED as best i can.

still working out all the kinks.

im honestly hoping i make a lot of ROOKIE mistakes on Sunday.  being a B race and being my first, i just want to enjoy my first tri experience, do my best, but just work through all that is a tri.

my eyes are really set on my A race - a full Sprint come May.

so i really have NOTHING to lose for this race.

and im mindful of doing this race for my friend DAN too....

he certainly has had more than his share of 1/4 mile hills to climb, 7xs over, and then some!!!!  so who am i to 'whine'

[i LOVE dedicated races for THAT reason....]

so heres to me, but even more so, HERES TO DAN!!!!

ONWARDANDUPWARD.
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-24 10:30 AM

2009-04-24 10:40 AM

Master
Vista, CA

Stacie -- Okay, unless I missed it you didn't mention the swim much. What's the deal about flipturns or touching the side?

Regardless -- YOU are so very, very prepared. For my first one I also scoped out and rode the course and practiced the transitions, etc.  Deep breathing and visualizations help. Visualize everything from getting up to eating breakfast and especially how you want to do your transitions. Then see yourself crossing that finish line with a huge smile on your face!

It's fun to experience your journey with the Mantees!

2009-04-24 12:09 PM

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Stacie's race

Stacie, don't worry about your bike. Just do the best you can. You know you're ready. I know you're gonna do just fine.
I'll be thinkin' about ya!

2009-04-24 1:29 PM

Champion
THANKS LYNN.  CATHY.  you ALL are so great!  thanks a TON.  your input/encouragement/inspires are HUGELY appreciated.

lynn.  i never did hear back from the race directors, but everyone ive talked to about it has said there shouldnt be any rules again flipturns/pushing off the wall....that its SOP to do so.

so, im going w what others have said.

theres a particpant meeting before the start, so ill see if it comes up there. if not, im not gonna worry bout it.  and im just gonna do what ive practiced.

i havent done flipturns in my trng sessions, so i wont be doing them come race day, but ive gotten quite speedy turning at the wall, and im able to get lots of momentum coming off the wall, pushing off.

when i was at the Univ, i did 1x100 at race pace, so i should be fine.

still squirrely right now (standard fare for me), but by race day i will have visualized everything and ill be RIP ROARIN' AND READY TO GO. 

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-24 1:30 PM
2009-04-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2108358

New user

Good Luck tomorrow Stacie!  Just know that you have trained hard and are ready and I hope you have fun!  I'm glad most people said you could push off the wall.  That would be awkward to not be able to do it when that is what we do in training.

I can't wait to hear how your first Tri goes!

Laurie 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59