BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-05-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

?Way to go !!!!  Sounds like a great weekend. ?  For me, going 22 mph on my 15mile ride yesterday listening to Red Barchetta and a little Momentary Lapse made me feel like 16 again!!  I am definitely commited to the Tri 

I did find a wetsuit in chicago, unfortunately, the only one that fit was a small in the $330 model - so we will see, I am looking on e-bay.  Apparentely I have the worlds smallest arms and hips.       Thanks you so much for the advice to try on - I almost prchased one from Craigs list and it would have been huge.  ?

??

2011-05-02 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3470470

User image

Bike - Specialized - a gift from a friend

Changing tires?  Can someone send a you tube link?

Open water swim - just in summer at lake for fun

I am trying bilaterally, I am just banking on the hope it will click before the race if I follow the plan

endurance sports - 9 yrs of chasing toddlers and gtting up through the night to nurse my babies, other than that just since february when I started to train for theis tri

you are my favorite tirathletes, you are the only ones I know   You are all still my favorites anyway!

Nutrition Supplement - Planters heart healthy nuts.  I will eventually get to the right food for training, but not ready for that yet

2011-05-02 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3477284

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
hypoxic - 2011-05-02 7:25 AM

?Way to go !!!!  Sounds like a great weekend. ?  For me, going 22 mph on my 15mile ride yesterday listening to Red Barchetta and a little Momentary Lapse made me feel like 16 again!!  I am definitely commited to the Tri 

I did find a wetsuit in chicago, unfortunately, the only one that fit was a small in the $330 model - so we will see, I am looking on e-bay.  Apparentely I have the worlds smallest arms and hips.       Thanks you so much for the advice to try on - I almost prchased one from Craigs list and it would have been huge.  ?

??

i ordered a neosport wet suit off of Ebay.  I got the sleevless for 100$ which included shipping.  My dad got the one with sleeves for a bit under 130$ with shipping.  This was a few years ago, but im sure they still have a great deal.  Neosport was brand new when i bought them, now they have grown a bit bigger and prices mave have increased slightly.  None the less the shipping was free and the price was about half of 330$!

Best of luck!

2011-05-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3477314

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

flat fix video

this one is ok!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K-DXt9djA

2011-05-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3475880

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Congratulations on your race!
2011-05-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3476591

User image

However, today I went out on a road run at a nice slow pace and felt great! Did just under 8 miles and came in at an 8:30 pace.  Still hilly, but the course was shaddy and not too many cars! Felt good to have a successful run!

Sounds like a great run, Barrett!

2011-05-02 6:43 PM

User image

Any recommendations on clipless pedals/shoes?  I think that will be a Mother's Day gift to myself, lol.   I made a newbie mistake buying a hybrid instead of a road bike, so now I hope to make a wise pedal purchase.

Jacqui

2011-05-02 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3478522

User image

You really need to decide just one basic thing.  Do you like the road type or the mountain bike type.  The road type has more foot to pedal contact, which, in theory, gives you less potential loss of power.  The drawback to them is that they are only one sided so you may have to flip them when trying to clip in.  The mountain bike ones tend to be heavy, but they are dual sided.  They may be a bit easier to get in and out of too.

Once you decide which one you like/want, the major differences then come down to weight.  I like Shimano, but I just tend to like their stuff.  Even their entry level products are stiff and rugged.

As for the shoes, easy to get on, easy to get off, stiff sole, light weight.  Those are the factors.  Make sure they fit you well.  A little play is ok, a lot is bad.  Too tight and you'll blister badly too. 

2011-05-02 9:30 PM

Veteran

Congrats on everyone's great races and workouts this weekend!  I am back from MN. What lousy weather.  I really feel for you Minnesotans....but I know just how tough you are!

I went to scope out the tri site:  the lake, the bike route and the running route.  I feel so much better about everything now.  It is one thing to do internet research mapping the course etc, another to actually be on the roads and looking at the lake.  And yes, I checked out the lake bottom, my sister couldn't believe it

I am definitely looking forward to my first tri now!

2011-05-02 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3478820

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Threejs - 2011-05-02 9:30 PM  And yes, I checked out the lake bottom, my sister couldn't believe it

What did you find on the bottom???  Laughing

I hope that the weather here will improve by July, but I am beginning to wonder! This is weird even for Minnesota.

2011-05-02 11:23 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

shimano 105 or pdr-540. can get those for under 75$ on ebay. As for the shoes i like to go for ones with carbon fiber bottoms. they are light and don't flex on your downstroke so you dont loose out on power.

good luck!

2011-05-03 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3478820

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Awesome! I can relate - after driving up to Alexandria a few weekends ago & driving the race route & then biking most of it, I feel *so* much more prepared. It's definitely a habit I'll continue in the future.

And yeah, the weather sucks. :D Right now Saturday's weather says 47-63 w/ a 7mph wind. I can live with that! I'm crossing my fingers that the forecast stays that way (yesterday it said rain). I can handle the cold, but I'd really prefer less wind than I've been training in.

Threejs - 2011-05-02 9:30 PM

Congrats on everyone's great races and workouts this weekend!  I am back from MN. What lousy weather.  I really feel for you Minnesotans....but I know just how tough you are!

I went to scope out the tri site:  the lake, the bike route and the running route.  I feel so much better about everything now.  It is one thing to do internet research mapping the course etc, another to actually be on the roads and looking at the lake.  And yes, I checked out the lake bottom, my sister couldn't believe it

I am definitely looking forward to my first tri now!

2011-05-03 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Congrats on your races, Mark & Jaqui! I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I'm fully into taper mode now & I actually feel tired. Sunday's bike was 40 min but it was snowing a little, winds were amped up and the windchill was in the upper 20's. NOT fun. By the end I felt shredded, but that was my last training ride pre-race so I'll be fine. Monday I did a 25 min run & pushed myself a little with intervals, but same thing, last run pre-race. Today I swam 1400 w/ a few sprints, tomorrow is a rest day, Thursday I'll probably only swim 1000. Should I keep it pretty low intensity? Friday is a rest/travel day & then racing Saturday morning.

Didn't get much sleep last night because my dad was admitted to the hospital with a heart murmur and during a "stress test" his heart rate dropped to 39! He's in his 80's, but still, his heart rate should have been in the 80's as well. Apparently they had him on a treadmill for 4:00 just walking, and around 3:30 he just collapsed. Anyway, spent a couple hours in the hospital last night and then had to go home, prep food for today & get up for swim class this morning. I skipped the first half since I was doing a short workout anyway, but still. Feeling exhausted. I'm going to make sure I get extra sleep the next 2 nights in case I can't sleep well on race night.

2011-05-03 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-02 4:43 PM

Any recommendations on clipless pedals/shoes?  

Jacqui,

You might consider SpeedPlay pedals (about $90).  They are dual-sided, so they are very easy to get clipped in (you can clip in on either side of the pedal, not just one side).

You mentioned you are having some knee problems... if you search the forum for SpeedPlay, you'll see that they are a favorite for people with knee issues because they offer more float (your foot is not strictly locked into a set position, it can move to a certain extent - reducing knee strain).

I have them and they are great - although I am a newbie and have not tried any other kind... so I'm no expert.

- Ron

2011-05-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3479764

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
PrivateIdaho - 2011-05-03 12:21 PM

Jacqui,

You might consider SpeedPlay pedals (about $90).  They are dual-sided, so they are very easy to get clipped in (you can clip in on either side of the pedal, not just one side).

You mentioned you are having some knee problems... if you search the forum for SpeedPlay, you'll see that they are a favorite for people with knee issues because they offer more float (your foot is not strictly locked into a set position, it can move to a certain extent - reducing knee strain).

I have them and they are great - although I am a newbie and have not tried any other kind... so I'm no expert.

- Ron

How are Speedplays if you don't do a flying mount?  I mean, do the cleats get all clogged up?  The roadies that I ride with have said they are much fussier than Shimano's and that made me wonder about transitions with them.

2011-05-03 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3479836

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
jmkizer - 2011-05-03 9:50 AM
PrivateIdaho - 2011-05-03 12:21 PM

Jacqui,

- Ron

How are Speedplays if you don't do a flying mount?  I mean, do the cleats get all clogged up?  The roadies that I ride with have said they are much fussier than Shimano's and that made me wonder about transitions with them.

I have heard the same thing (mostly from BT forums) - that SpeedPlay cleats get clogged up more easily than other types - definitely something to consider.

I really can't verify either way because I made up my mind I was going to do flying mounts - so my shoes are always clipped into my pedals so that I can practice mounts/dismounts everytime I ride.

- Ron

2011-05-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3479642

User image

Henry,

Terribly sorry to hear about your father.  I will keep him in my prayers.

As for training, keep Thursday light and easy.  If you can on Friday, I'd try and get in a slow run, 15-20 minutes tops, with two 90 second intervals to open up your legs.  I used to rest the day before a race, but now try to get at least that run in, and for a tri, I always take a short swim (usually swim the course if it's a sprint) and a 15 minute run.  There are physiological reasons to do this.  YOu have neuromuscular pathways that "forget" themselves somewhere between 48 and 72 hours after exercises.  It's important to reset them the day before a race so you don't spend a few minutes with them relearning the pathways.  You may have to trust me on this, but it works.  I can tell you, lots of athletes report being just a little off on race day.  I used to be one of them.  Now if I take a day off, it's two days before race day.  Short workout day before, and I always do a nice warm up on the morning of.  Swim some at least, if not run then swim.

2011-05-03 2:57 PM

User image

Henry,

Terribly sorry to hear about your father.  I will keep him in my prayers.

As for training, keep Thursday light and easy.  If you can on Friday, I'd try and get in a slow run, 15-20 minutes tops, with two 90 second intervals to open up your legs.  I used to rest the day before a race, but now try to get at least that run in, and for a tri, I always take a short swim (usually swim the course if it's a sprint) and a 15 minute run.  There are physiological reasons to do this.  YOu have neuromuscular pathways that "forget" themselves somewhere between 48 and 72 hours after exercises.  It's important to reset them the day before a race so you don't spend a few minutes with them relearning the pathways.  You may have to trust me on this, but it works.  I can tell you, lots of athletes report being just a little off on race day.  I used to be one of them.  Now if I take a day off, it's two days before race day.  Short workout day before, and I always do a nice warm up on the morning of.  Swim some at least, if not run then swim.

2011-05-03 2:58 PM

User image

Henry,

Terribly sorry to hear about your father. I will keep him in my prayers.

As for training, keep Thursday light and easy. If you can on Friday, I'd try and get in a slow run, 15-20 minutes tops, with two 90 second intervals to open up your legs. I used to rest the day before a race, but now try to get at least that run in, and for a tri, I always take a short swim (usually swim the course if it's a sprint) and a 15 minute run. There are physiological reasons to do this. YOu have neuromuscular pathways that "forget" themselves somewhere between 48 and 72 hours after exercises. It's important to reset them the day before a race so you don't spend a few minutes with them relearning the pathways. You may have to trust me on this, but it works. I can tell you, lots of athletes report being just a little off on race day. I used to be one of them. Now if I take a day off, it's two days before race day. Short workout day before, and I always do a nice warm up on the morning of. Swim some at least, if not run then swim.

2011-05-03 5:00 PM

User image

CO
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-03 11:29 AM

Congrats on your races, Mark & Jaqui! I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I'm fully into taper mode now & I actually feel tired. Sunday's bike was 40 min but it was snowing a little, winds were amped up and the windchill was in the upper 20's. NOT fun. By the end I felt shredded, but that was my last training ride pre-race so I'll be fine. Monday I did a 25 min run & pushed myself a little with intervals, but same thing, last run pre-race. Today I swam 1400 w/ a few sprints, tomorrow is a rest day, Thursday I'll probably only swim 1000. Should I keep it pretty low intensity? Friday is a rest/travel day & then racing Saturday morning.

Didn't get much sleep last night because my dad was admitted to the hospital with a heart murmur and during a "stress test" his heart rate dropped to 39! He's in his 80's, but still, his heart rate should have been in the 80's as well. Apparently they had him on a treadmill for 4:00 just walking, and around 3:30 he just collapsed. Anyway, spent a couple hours in the hospital last night and then had to go home, prep food for today & get up for swim class this morning. I skipped the first half since I was doing a short workout anyway, but still. Feeling exhausted. I'm going to make sure I get extra sleep the next 2 nights in case I can't sleep well on race night.

QD- so sorry to hear about your dad.  I hope everything turns out OK!

2011-05-03 5:33 PM

User image

CO
Subject: Questions of the week

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading the answers to linfieldpt's questions last week so much that I thought I would post a few more for this week!  Here they are:

1.  What do you like best about tri's?
  2.  What's your biggest source of motivation (for training or competing)?
  3.  What little things help you get out the door for your swim/bike/run at the end of a long day (or in the wee hours of the morning)?
  4.  Do you do your most important workouts during the week or on weekends?

2011-05-03 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3480571

User image

CO
Subject: RE: Questions of the week
TElenor - 2011-05-03 6:33 PM

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading the answers to linfieldpt's questions last week so much that I thought I would post a few more for this week!  Here they are:

1.  What do you like best about tri's? Constantly switching between 3 sports that I enjoy, keeping things interesting.
  2.  What's your biggest source of motivation (for training or competing)? Getting in shape despite spending most of every day sitting in front of a computer.
  3.  What little things help you get out the door for your swim/bike/run at the end of a long day (or in the wee hours of the morning)? I struggle more with the morning- I get my lunch and clothes completely set the night before, so I just have to wake up, walk the dog, and walk out the door.
  4.  Do you do your most important workouts during the week or on weekends?  During the week.  I like to keep weekends flexible for family and friends.
2011-05-03 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
TElenor - 2011-05-03 3:33 PM

Hi all,

1. What do you like best about tri's?

Haven't done a tri yet... but the part I like best about training is the change of pace - I think I would burn out pretty quick if I was putting all my hours into any single sport.

2. What's your biggest source of motivation (for training or competing)?

Adopting a healthier more fit lifestyle and setting an example for my son (that, and my wife will kill me if I backout after spending all this time and money Wink)

3. What little things help you get out the door for your swim/bike/run at the end of a long day (or in the wee hours of the morning)?

Reminding myself how good it always feels afterwards if I suck it up and do the workout, versus how bad I feel about myself if I don't.

4. Do you do your most important workouts during the week or on weekends?

During the week.  I use Saturday as a day-off reward or a make-up day for a missed workout during the week - Sundays need to be flexible so the workout varies.

2011-05-03 8:54 PM

Veteran
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-03 8:29 AM

Prayers for your dad, you and your family.

2011-05-03 9:00 PM

Veteran
TElenor - 2011-05-03 3:33 PM

Hi all,

1.  What do you like best about tri's? I don't know. This will be my first.
  2.  What's your biggest source of motivation (for training or competing)? My siblings are all in great shape.  I need to measure up!
  3.  What little things help you get out the door for your swim/bike/run at the end of a long day (or in the wee hours of the morning)? The look on my kids faces when I tell them I trained that day.
  4.  Do you do your most important workouts during the week or on weekends? Weekends. Too crazy during the week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30