BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4174780

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-26 11:47 AM

I'm SUCH a ham! LOL. 

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/524?bib=1042

Enjoy!

Feels weird that my next tri is next weekend! Now I know my mistakes, I can fix it easily. I'll be visiting the bike/run course twice prior to get the feel of the run course. I know the bike course, so I'm not worried about that. The run course was changed, and it's a little bit more hillier than what I'm used to, but I should be okay if I don't try too hard!  I *should* do better than last year's fiasco and better than 41:xx run. :-)

Love the smiles DJ!!!  Looked like you were having a fantastic time - yeah!

2012-04-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4174858

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
robingray_260 - 2012-04-26 10:27 AM

I'm SUCH a ham! LOL. 

Enjoy!

Feels weird that my next tri is next weekend! Now I know my mistakes, I can fix it easily. I'll be visiting the bike/run course twice prior to get the feel of the run course. I know the bike course, so I'm not worried about that. The run course was changed, and it's a little bit more hillier than what I'm used to, but I should be okay if I don't try too hard!  I *should* do better than last year's fiasco and better than 41:xx run. :-)

Agree... nothing better than having fun.  And you clearly are having a blast!  Nicely done.

Agree... nothing better than having fun.  And you clearly are having a blast!  Nicely done.

Edited by n.k 2012-04-26 2:01 PM
2012-04-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4174785

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-04-26 12:50 PM
acv - 2012-04-26 11:53 AM

Hey Ken,

Can you give me the run down on how you rotate your running shoes?

I think I need to get a few pairs into a rotation and not just beat the hell out of one pair then replace them. Long time I don't think its a smart strategy trying to break in shoes before a race. Embarassed

I usually have 3 to 4 pairs in a rotation, 1 pair is usually the ones I can wear without socks for 10K or shorter distances.  I don't train in this pair a lot, but will a little just so my feet are used to them.

Otherwise, I try not to wear the same pair more than every other day if I am running every day (which is when I need 3 pairs of trainers).  I find that wearing the same pair everyday just doesn't allow the support to rebound and I can feel it in my feet.  I usually get about 350 miles out of a pair, and the older pair gets used mostly for short runs.  Even though my closet looks like Imelda Marcos of running shoes, it doesn't cost me any more since I still get the same mileage out of them as I would wearing one pair till they die (maybe more).

One other tip, since the manufacturers like to upgrade and make changes to their shoe line ups (far too often), when I get a model I like, I tend to load up with them from the online retailers, especially if they have a sale.  I have been with the Saucony Omni since the 6 model, currently they are on the Omni 10.  Some I liked, some not as much but I couldn't find anything I liked better.  The 10 is pretty good so I will probably stock up!

Also, they say that the new shoes don't need breaking in and for the most part I agree, but.... I wouldn't recommend wearing a new pair for a race.  But if you can get 20 - 30 miles into a pair, maybe a bit more that should be sufficient.

Thanks Ken - I should get about 28 miles on them before the race. 

2012-04-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4175095

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
n.k - 2012-04-26 2:56 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-04-26 10:27 AM

I'm SUCH a ham! LOL. 

Enjoy!

Also I like that you had you wetsuit unzipped before you even got out of the water! Nice one.

2012-04-26 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4174780

User image

Maine
Great pics DJ!  Cool
2012-04-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4174665

User image

Regular
acv - 2012-04-26 10:53 AM

Hey Ken,

I think I need to get a few pairs into a rotation and not just beat the hell out of one pair then replace them. Long time I don't think its a smart strategy trying to break in shoes before a race. Embarassed

I just read an article in RW that said to give your shoes at least a day to recover from the run.  So, I guess you would need 2 pairs if you want to run consecutive days.

2012-04-26 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4175304

Rochester

DJ,

I love the pics! I am looking forward to the duathlon this weekend to finally have pics. I just hope I am looking as sexy as always. LOL.

2012-04-27 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4172398

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Lynie13 - 2012-04-25 12:32 PM

Everyone of you should be damn proud of your achievements and times! I'm a mere 4 weeks into training (running & biking...no pool/lake yet), first time in 20 years and first time for tri's, my run went from 20 min./mile down to 17 min./mile. I know, pathetic, but I'll keep plugging away until that improves.

Anyway, it took me almost three days to catch up on all posts. You've all been quite inspiring and I look forward to my time improvements! Great job everyone!!! Wink

Lynda

Hey Lynda, you know what they call the last person over the finish line?  Triathlete. It is a badge of honor.  Wear it proudly.  I don't freaking care how long it takes you to get there. 

2012-04-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4175246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
acv - 2012-04-26 2:52 PM

Hey Ken,

I usually have 3 to 4 pairs in a rotation, 1 pair is usually the ones I can wear without socks for 10K or shorter distances.  I don't train in this pair a lot, but will a little just so my feet are used to them.

Otherwise, I try not to wear the same pair more than every other day if I am running every day (which is when I need 3 pairs of trainers).  I find that wearing the same pair everyday just doesn't allow the support to rebound and I can feel it in my feet.  I usually get about 350 miles out of a pair, and the older pair gets used mostly for short runs.  Even though my closet looks like Imelda Marcos of running shoes, it doesn't cost me any more since I still get the same mileage out of them as I would wearing one pair till they die (maybe more).

One other tip, since the manufacturers like to upgrade and make changes to their shoe line ups (far too often), when I get a model I like, I tend to load up with them from the online retailers, especially if they have a sale.  I have been with the Saucony Omni since the 6 model, currently they are on the Omni 10.  Some I liked, some not as much but I couldn't find anything I liked better.  The 10 is pretty good so I will probably stock up!

Also, they say that the new shoes don't need breaking in and for the most part I agree, but.... I wouldn't recommend wearing a new pair for a race.  But if you can get 20 - 30 miles into a pair, maybe a bit more that should be sufficient.

I figured out that rotation thing finally.  Why wear shoes out then get another.  Wear two and the wear goes more slowly on each one.  So I'm doing that this year. 

2012-04-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4176252

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
IceManScott - 2012-04-27 7:47 AM

Hey Ken,

I figured out that rotation thing finally.  Why wear shoes out then get another.  Wear two and the wear goes more slowly on each one.  So I'm doing that this year. 

Honestly, I have runners in my office that have been telling me about rotating shoes forever.  I don't "feel" any difference.  I usually buy a pair before the pair I'm wearing wears out so I can rotate theme in slowly and usually have an extra pair around with some miles left on them incase of emergency, but I can run on one pair everyday and just don't feel a difference.  That said, I only run 4 days a week and don't do a whole lot of back to back days.  But there are definitely days I've done a long run on Sunday and short run on Monday on the same shoes.  I also have a pair of trail shoes when for trail and bad weather running.  I actually find it difficult to stay used to multiple pairs of shoes.  If they are the same shoe it's fine, but sometimes I get blisters from my trail shoes because I don't run in them often.  I am, recently, starting to like having a pair of super light/fast shoes, like my zoots, around for short races and sprints/Oly tris.  I stopped running longer distances in those though, and got some more cushioned shoes for longer runs.  It's just more comfortable for me.  But I've been using those cushioned shoes all the time because I'm too lazy to take the foot pod off them and re-calibrate for other shoes.

2012-04-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4176241

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2012-04-27 8:43 AM
Lynie13 - 2012-04-25 12:32 PM

Everyone of you should be damn proud of your achievements and times! I'm a mere 4 weeks into training (running & biking...no pool/lake yet), first time in 20 years and first time for tri's, my run went from 20 min./mile down to 17 min./mile. I know, pathetic, but I'll keep plugging away until that improves.

Anyway, it took me almost three days to catch up on all posts. You've all been quite inspiring and I look forward to my time improvements! Great job everyone!!! Wink

Lynda

Hey Lynda, you know what they call the last person over the finish line?  Triathlete. It is a badge of honor.  Wear it proudly.  I don't freaking care how long it takes you to get there. 

You know who also gets the most applause...........yep the last one to cross the line. It doesn't matter when - it only matters that you DID.

Edited by acv 2012-04-27 8:55 AM

2012-04-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4176252

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2012-04-27 8:47 AM

Hey Ken,

I need to do that this year also. Life is about learning.

2012-04-27 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4124117

Rochester
So in the morning I have my first duathlon. To say that I'm nervous is really an understatement right now. Not really big with words right now. Sorry. I will give details tomorrow.
2012-04-27 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4177582

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
peterflagg - 2012-04-27 7:38 PMSo in the morning I have my first duathlon. To say that I'm nervous is really an understatement right now. Not really big with words right now. Sorry. I will give details tomorrow.
Don't be nervous! Have fun Peter!!
2012-04-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4177582

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

peterflagg - 2012-04-27 6:38 PM So in the morning I have my first duathlon. To say that I'm nervous is really an understatement right now. Not really big with words right now. Sorry. I will give details tomorrow.

HAVE A GREAT TIME PETER!!!!!!!

can't wait to hear about it!

2012-04-27 11:34 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Peter

Everyone is nervous! We all get nervous on that starting line. Use it! Use the adrenaline to get your jump. After that settle yourself down. Trust your training and find your paces.

Have fun and good luck.

Good luck to DJ and all you other races this weekend too. :$

2012-04-28 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Besides Peter and me (I am doing a HM tomorrow) is anyone else racing? With my work and travel this week I didn't have a chance to look!

Good luck to anyone who is racing! And to the rest of you I hope you have a great weekend with some solid training!

2012-04-28 5:04 PM

Rochester
Hey everyone, well I finished and I am happy with that. I wasn't even thinking of the medal we get at the end and I can say that I am super excited about that, in fact it's my first medal ever.

It was nice to be in my first event like this and shows me what I need to work on. I had a problem with drinking and riding so I might try out a couple of things to work on it.

Excited for tomorrow because I am volunteering at the HM and I get to meet Kenj! It was nice to burn my calories this am because I just had a great burger with tons of stuff on it and I'm sure it wasn't low fat.
2012-04-28 7:00 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Nice work Peter! Tell Ken we said hi and GOOD LUCK!
2012-04-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4178683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Good work Peter. And good luck Ken!!

Got a duathlon tomorrow, but it got all screwy. The 20 mile out and back bike didnt get permitted so now is a 14 mile bike course consisting of 7x2 mile loops. Ugh. I'm not much of a biker so was thinking of bailing on what will probably be a crowded course where i get lapped a lot. I talked myself into sticking with it since i am already registered and all... I have a new plan of action - pretend that I actually am a cyclist and "fake it till I make it". If that doesnt work, i'll just try to pick up some time on the second run.

2012-04-28 8:24 PM

Rochester
Bill,

Don't bail. It does suck that they changed it like that but think how happy you will be that you accomplished it. Go out and kill it tomorrow!!!!

2012-04-28 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Happy Weekend to all..I will be headed out in the morning to complete first Olympic distance of the year.. I want to PR this race because this is where it all started two years ago, however a little thing called life has cut into training this year so I feel I'm under prepared. I will go out and give it my best shot..I will post tomorrow evening after I get back home..
2012-04-28 9:06 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Bill

Don't bail on the race! If biking isn't your thing your chances just got better! Shorter bike puts more weight on the run!!!
2012-04-29 4:31 AM
in reply to: #4178719

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2012-04-28 8:28 PM Good work Peter. And good luck Ken!!

Got a duathlon tomorrow, but it got all screwy. The 20 mile out and back bike didnt get permitted so now is a 14 mile bike course consisting of 7x2 mile loops. Ugh. I'm not much of a biker so was thinking of bailing on what will probably be a crowded course where i get lapped a lot. I talked myself into sticking with it since i am already registered and all... I have a new plan of action - pretend that I actually am a cyclist and "fake it till I make it". If that doesnt work, i'll just try to pick up some time on the second run.

Go for it Bill, sounds like a good plan!! 

Have fun!

2012-04-29 4:33 AM
in reply to: #4178577

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

peterflagg - 2012-04-28 6:04 PM Hey everyone, well I finished and I am happy with that. I wasn't even thinking of the medal we get at the end and I can say that I am super excited about that, in fact it's my first medal ever.

It was nice to be in my first event like this and shows me what I need to work on. I had a problem with drinking and riding so I might try out a couple of things to work on it.

Excited for tomorrow because I am volunteering at the HM and I get to meet Kenj! It was nice to burn my calories this am because I just had a great burger with tons of stuff on it and I'm sure it wasn't low fat.

Great job Peter!  Glad you had a great race and picked up a couple of things to work on!

Looking forward to meeting you this morning!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78