BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-16 3:49 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by Burd

I get a chuckle out of some triathlon articles. I just read one about the new P2 how it's completely redesigned after 7 years which is real cool. The funny part is how they call it an "entry level" tri bike at $2800. Holy crap that's a ton of cash. My idea of entry level full carbon is the Kestrel Talon at $1350 or the many true entry level bikes that are under $2000. I know this is an expensive sport but when did $2800 become entry level?

$2,800 for a 10-speed Shimano 105 groupset and box-section wheels.

I didn't spend that much more for my 2013 Felt B2, which runs Ultegra Di2 and TTR2 aero (30mm) wheels.

At that price-point, I would expect full Ultegra 11-speed. Mid-market is a mug's game - A Buick is a Chevy with Cadillac badging.

2014-01-16 3:56 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by Qua17

So today is Thursday and it's time to check in about our weekly goals. Be sure to post sometime today or tomorrow bringing everyone up to speed on what you have done so far this week and what you'll do between now and sunday to make sure you accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. Not meeting a goal doesn't necessarily mean a Coors Light penalty - but giving up does. Make it happen!

I forgot that you created a snazzy chart for us to fill out each week. Just added it to a bookmark and updated my goals for this week. Whew I nearly had to down a Coors Light

Where's tis snazzy chart? Is the is goodle doc I've heard referenced a time or two?
2014-01-16 3:59 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Doing good on goals so far. Tomorrow will be my first run in almost two weeks, foot is feeling good! Today I played some beach volleyball in the warm and sunny 85* weather, don't really consider it a workout as we didn't work that hard. Tonight will be cardio-kick, while fun and gets me moving it's not the workout it used to be before I started running.

Ladies and Gentlemen - A round of applause of Mark. His post, quoted above, is post #500!

You guys are awesome. For the record - the BDAAS is one of the top 4 groups in terms of the number of posts on BT. When you take into account the fact that we started nearly a week after the 3 other groups - I would say, and I realize I may be a little biased, that we are the best group on BT!

Keep up supporting each other!
2014-01-16 4:25 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by MOlsen

Doing good on goals so far. Tomorrow will be my first run in almost two weeks, foot is feeling good! Today I played some beach volleyball in the warm and sunny 85* weather, don't really consider it a workout as we didn't work that hard. Tonight will be cardio-kick, while fun and gets me moving it's not the workout it used to be before I started running.

Ladies and Gentlemen - A round of applause of Mark. His post, quoted above, is post #500!

You guys are awesome. For the record - the BDAAS is one of the top 4 groups in terms of the number of posts on BT. When you take into account the fact that we started nearly a week after the 3 other groups - I would say, and I realize I may be a little biased, that we are the best group on BT!

Keep up supporting each other!

No doubt!! I found here what I was looking for, support and encouragement coming from people who struggle between work, family and laziness, and reward themselves with a great drink!
2014-01-16 4:28 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I get a chuckle out of some triathlon articles. I just read one about the new P2 how it's completely redesigned after 7 years which is real cool. The funny part is how they call it an "entry level" tri bike at $2800. Holy crap that's a ton of cash. My idea of entry level full carbon is the Kestrel Talon at $1350 or the many true entry level bikes that are under $2000. I know this is an expensive sport but when did $2800 become entry level?

$2,800 for a 10-speed Shimano 105 groupset and box-section wheels.

I didn't spend that much more for my 2013 Felt B2, which runs Ultegra Di2 and TTR2 aero (30mm) wheels.

At that price-point, I would expect full Ultegra 11-speed. Mid-market is a mug's game - A Buick is a Chevy with Cadillac badging.

Fully agree. 3-athlon should not be that expensive - in fact, you can get a great racing bike for 1000 euros, second hand even cheaper - if it is not a tri-bike you can customize it a bit - no need to spend 5000 US! At the end, it is your legs who make the biggest difference. I got a brand new BH carbon for 1200 euros and will be my bike for years.... Do you really find a big difference between race bikes and tri-bikes?
2014-01-16 5:41 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Made 13/31 this afternoon with a pretty terrible trainer ride that I looked forward to all afternoon. It was isolated leg training. I'm fairly certain after this that my left leg is totally gimpy...I'm not quite sure what my left leg was doing, but I think it was only moving in the horizontal plane. My toes hurt from raming them into the front of my shoe. I've done ILT before, but only on a spin bike, where it was much easier and I felt less uncoordinated. This one is gonna take some work!

I reviewed the goal sheet, and I'm doing pretty well for this week. I've actually meet my s/b/r goals. So far I've eaten in everyday while my wife's been away, but I'm going to miss that one tomorrow. One of my student's won a really prestigous award, so our department is having a happy hour to celebrate. I'll sacrifice my goal for that one, I'm so proud of her.

How's everyone else doing on your goals?

2014-01-16 6:06 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Originally posted by Burd 2600 tonight in the pool. Managed to pop out quite a few 100s under the 2 min mark. Guess I'm finally starting to speed up. Next goal is under 1:50. After todays chain of events I feel much better after a hard swim. Heck even my CD of 200 was at 2:13. Far cry from my 2:45+ pace. We had someone toss their cookies after swim. That's how you know it's a tough swim when someone throws up

That's great.  I remember your struggles last summer.  You're definitely much more comfortable in the water. Great job!

2014-01-16 6:09 PM

User image

It's been a good week so far.... I've hit every scheduled workout.... Tomorrow is going to be the challenge.... I have multiple factors working against me.... The kids don't have school so I can sleep in if I choose. And it's supposed to be only 15 degrees in the morning making an outdoor run quite frigid. I hate running on the tread mill but I might have to do that..... Gotta stay strong.......
2014-01-16 6:23 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Originally posted by Burd I get a chuckle out of some triathlon articles. I just read one about the new P2 how it's completely redesigned after 7 years which is real cool. The funny part is how they call it an "entry level" tri bike at $2800. Holy crap that's a ton of cash. My idea of entry level full carbon is the Kestrel Talon at $1350 or the many true entry level bikes that are under $2000. I know this is an expensive sport but when did $2800 become entry level?

Saw the same article.  Agree, $2800 is definitely not entry level.  I broke down and got my first tri bike in October and was able to score one of the now "old model" P2's for an even 2K.  Thought I go a pretty good deal.  So far, I love it!

2014-01-16 8:02 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

I also love my 910. I have a little trouble with the pool swim being accurate, but I think that has a lot to do with my open turns. If any of y'all are on Garmin Connect my user name is b2b14 there also. I do a better job of posting my workouts there.

Alex- WOW I would have def gone home and called it good for the day, you were a real trooper.

I got my swim and run in today, then met my wife for lunch and had a glass of Chianti as a reward.

Yesterday while on post I walked up and down a flight of stairs maybe 15 times to at least do something but still cover my area. My daughter and I had a great date, and I didn't feel too bad about missing the workout thx to knowing I was exempt from the coors penalty. I just did not treat myself to a beer at all.

Tomorrow I will be doing my long run for the week. Next week I may not be able to get on regular as we are taking our family Vac to Disney, but I will try to post some. I am taking my running clothes so I will still be running.

2800 is definitely not entry level. My bike was $700 and came with an indoor trainer.
2014-01-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

So today is Thursday and it's time to check in about our weekly goals. Be sure to post sometime today or tomorrow bringing everyone up to speed on what you have done so far this week and what you'll do between now and sunday to make sure you accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. Not meeting a goal doesn't necessarily mean a Coors Light penalty - but giving up does. Make it happen!

I forgot that you created a snazzy chart for us to fill out each week. Just added it to a bookmark and updated my goals for this week. Whew I nearly had to down a Coors Light

Where's tis snazzy chart? Is the is goodle doc I've heard referenced a time or two?

This Google Doc redefines the word snazzy! Here is the link - Enjoy!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atf3WryluKZedFQwci1LRFc...

2014-01-16 11:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Made 13/31 this afternoon with a pretty terrible trainer ride that I looked forward to all afternoon. It was isolated leg training. I'm fairly certain after this that my left leg is totally gimpy...I'm not quite sure what my left leg was doing, but I think it was only moving in the horizontal plane. My toes hurt from raming them into the front of my shoe. I've done ILT before, but only on a spin bike, where it was much easier and I felt less uncoordinated. This one is gonna take some work!

I reviewed the goal sheet, and I'm doing pretty well for this week. I've actually meet my s/b/r goals. So far I've eaten in everyday while my wife's been away, but I'm going to miss that one tomorrow. One of my student's won a really prestigous award, so our department is having a happy hour to celebrate. I'll sacrifice my goal for that one, I'm so proud of her.

How's everyone else doing on your goals?

12/31 here. Got in a 1100 swim this morning. did 6 100's below 2:10 today. Just a couple weeks ago, I could only do 50's, and maybe a couple 100's, so I am building speed and stamina. Had to sacrifice my day at the gym to wife tomorrow do to scheduling. No worries, I'll just switch my swim for another trainer ride. Wrestling practice tomorrow. Should be good for another pound or two. 197.8 this morning. I'm down almost 5 lbs since Sunday. I don't know if that's completely good or not, but I feel good about it.

I've decided that the rolling the calf maybe premature if it's still injured (possible tear), so I am going to lay off the roller for a long time, I've stopped running a while back, and I'm hoping that over time, it heals.
2014-01-17 2:00 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well I am still here...barely. Its been pretty rough with being sick. I had a103 fever a couple of times this week. The doctor has put me on some extremely strong antibiotics and if they don't work she is admitting me to the hospital. She seemed on the fence about admitting me today but i am really glad she didn't. I have been too weak to even sit up until now. Hopefully this is a good sign! I wanted to make the last year of my 40s epic...recovering from this infection will be my first epic accomplishment!
2014-01-17 2:20 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
The goal for this week is to not get admitted to the hospital this will take everything I've got.
2014-01-17 6:19 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Originally posted by SportzVision Well I am still here...barely. Its been pretty rough with being sick. I had a103 fever a couple of times this week. The doctor has put me on some extremely strong antibiotics and if they don't work she is admitting me to the hospital. She seemed on the fence about admitting me today but i am really glad she didn't. I have been too weak to even sit up until now. Hopefully this is a good sign! I wanted to make the last year of my 40s epic...recovering from this infection will be my first epic accomplishment!

Thoughts and prayers are with you! 

2014-01-17 7:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by SportzVision

Well I am still here...barely. Its been pretty rough with being sick. I had a103 fever a couple of times this week. The doctor has put me on some extremely strong antibiotics and if they don't work she is admitting me to the hospital. She seemed on the fence about admitting me today but i am really glad she didn't. I have been too weak to even sit up until now. Hopefully this is a good sign! I wanted to make the last year of my 40s epic...recovering from this infection will be my first epic accomplishment!

Crikey! Hope you get well soon!

...and don't worry, I think we'll forgive the Coors Light penalty, but just this one time...

2014-01-17 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by SportzVision

I pitty the germs or the virus that made the mistake of choosing you. Don't they know who they're messing with?

Seriously - I will be praying that the new antibiotics do their job. Take care of yourself and get well soon.
2014-01-17 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Feel better Cynthia. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
2014-01-17 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
I just want to throw in my two cents about foam rolling... While I detest the thing, the foam roller is one of the mpst necessary components of my training routine. I use it nearly every day for the following three reasons:

1) I'm naturally tight and the foam rolling is just about the best thing I can do to keep those muscles loose and from getting tighter
2) I can't afford weekly or even monthly massages - and the foam roller does a great job of kneading out the knots that form during my training
3) When done correctly, they help me recover from a tough workout
4) There is NOTHING better for ITB issues

I try to use the roller for at least 5 minutes a day. I tend to roll each part of my body for 30 seconds to a minute and I use the weight of my body to really let the roller dig into the muscles I'm working on. I go really slowly rolling up and down the muscle - if I find a knot - I stop there and really focus on it for the rest of the time.

One suggestion that I would make to people who have never tried them before is to start rolling in the center of the muscle. While it will hurt (and it's meant to hurt), it won't do harm as long as the pressure is on the muscle and not on the tendon. I have heard stories of people getting hurt because they have rolled their tendons as well and this can lead to rips if you do it right out of the gate. Also - if you have tendonitis, you can still roll - just be extra careful to avoid the sore spot.

Here are a few things to check out:

My favorite foam roller video - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/foam-roller-video-series
A good article on the benefits of rolling - http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...
2014-01-17 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Throwing this out there so you can hold me accountable (coors light penalty if I fail) but I need to do one more PT workout before going to PT today. I've been doing the same exercises for a month now and I'm ready for something new. So, once I finish this post, I'm gonna do my 20 minutes and then head out for a run along the Boston Marathon route. Hoping to do 5 miles. I will do a 1/2 mile warm up and 1/2 mile cool down and I will do 2 minutes running and 2 minutes walking.

As for the Jan. challenge - I've done 16 workouts not counting my PT. If you count those - I'm at 26.5. And since I've done 7 hours of PT - I'm counting those exercises but only as half a workout.

I'm praying my PT comes up with something that will help me. On the one hand, I've had 2 really strong build weeks despite the soreness. I'm just getting sick and tired of the soreness. So, please keep your fingers crossed.

Last night at dinner - I had two tasty beers. I had an incredibly tasty Weihenstephan - love the notes of bubble gum on the finish. I also paid homage to the hop heads in the group by having a Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby. God, I love beer.
2014-01-17 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Hope the healing comes soon Cynthia-
Hope the run goes well Dave-
13/31 today with 45 min. interval ride on the trainer today. Wrestling tonight. Here comes the weekend!

2014-01-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I'm joining the "first run in a while" club today when I go for a short and easy 3 mile run during my lunch break today. My foot is feeling much better (no pain or discomfort all week) and I've been itching to hit the road. Funny to think I used to hate the thought of running (yes, just the thought!) and now it's one of my favorite forms of exercise.

One neat aspect of this group, other than the abundance of support, is hearing about the regional beers from other areas in the country. If only I had the time/money to do an extended micro brew tour!

2014-01-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
PT session and 5 mile run are in the books. I'm just going to say that I'm hating the running right now. Changing my stride is mentally taxing. Right now, I'm having to think about how to put one foot in front of another. I'n sure this will go away - but it's really not any fun. Plus - it''s causing aches where I haven't been sore in the past. When I got back today - my knee was really smarting. I wish it was spring - I would love to do this training on grass that might be a little more forgiving of my new gait.

Mark - I hope your maiden run goes better!

Prost!
2014-01-17 1:00 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
14/31 with 4000yds in the pool. If a 4 time Olympian calls something a "She-Ra" set, you should believe her.

My reward will be margaritas out at the happy hour to celebrate my student, and I'm calling it right now, there will be more than one!
2014-01-17 3:06 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

13/16

Ran with my B.A.R. (Boise Area Runners) group.  Did just a tick over 6 miles at around 8:55 pace.  Felt pretty good throughout but my legs are getting kinda tired.  Spent some quality time with the 'stick' and roller before bed. Dos XX Amber was my reward.

I'll swim and ride the rollers later tonight.  Sat. will be a longer, slower run.  Sunday?? Maybe a bike ride if the trails stay frozen. 

I'm going ice fishing Sunday PM-a first for me.  Should be fun. 

Hope everyone who is sick/hurt gets better.

Hope everyone who is well/healthy stays that way.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.