BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: ctpeel

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by ctpeel

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by ctpeel BEERS: Big fan of the Revolver-Blood and Honey. Favorite Mexican beer would be Victoria. I tend to drink IPAs and sour beers lately. It keeps me from drinking to many of them haha.

Tell me you've been to Pinthouse Pizza and had their Electric Jellyfish please! PHP has some awesome beers....wish we had one in Houston!  How about Jester King?  Probably a little out of your way, but so worth it!

Never been there before but I do see it's a nice 15 mile ride from my house. Might be a nice destination for starting my bike rides.

I've actually driven by the Jester brewery a few times going out hiking etc. I need to make a stop sometime.

Congrats on our 500th post, which puts us second on BT. Nice work everyone - all those posts means we are supporting each other! Let's keep it up.

2017-02-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Hey - has anyone tried the book - Primal Blueprint. The book itself is like a fracking (BSG) textbook. It's big, bulky (kind of like me) and I want to know if it will help me reach my weight lose goals. 3 LBS per week for the next 10 weeks.

Let me know!
Thanks,
DQ
2017-02-06 3:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Hey - has anyone tried the book - Primal Blueprint. The book itself is like a fracking (BSG) textbook. It's big, bulky (kind of like me) and I want to know if it will help me reach my weight lose goals. 3 LBS per week for the next 10 weeks.

Let me know!
Thanks,
DQ

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-06 5:57 PM
2017-02-06 3:34 PM

Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Qua17

Let me know!
Thanks,
DQ

I used to check that guys blog every once in a while. I think he has a good philosophy but I've never actually read the book. He basically talks about eating paleoish and getting exercise through playing around rather than actually thinking about it like exercise. But he is an older dude that is in great shape so he must know a thing or two.
2017-02-06 3:36 PM

Austin, Texas
2017-02-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome Collin! My best friend moved to Austin about a year ago and I am going down to visit her in April. I hear great things! Kind of wish I was coming Memorial Day weekend now though. Would've been cool to do a race with a fellow BaDAsS.

Edited by nicole14e 2017-02-06 4:40 PM

2017-02-06 4:38 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So my new boss was supposed to be working on our budget file. She's been working on it for 2 weeks. I have told her where to find the info she needed. It was due last Friday. NOTHING IS DONE. So now I am doing it....but I will be leaving in time to make it to Masters practice tonight b/c honestly, it is not really my fault that it is late and I refuse to cancel my plans b/c she doesn't know what she's doing and no one is training her.

A rage swim might be in the cards. Why on earth is this woman getting paid almost twice my salary when I'm the one training her?

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
2017-02-06 7:05 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

I'm back from Australia, and back in a civilized country with proper internet access

Last week was not a good training week for me, my trip got a bit hectic, we ended up adding a visit to a plant in WA to the schedule which added a lot of traveling time. Australia is a big place. Anyway, early starts, late finishes and the jet lag that comes with changing time zones every couple of days meant only 2 x 30 minute runs during the week.

On the weekend I had another 2 30 minute runs, and got in a 4 hour bike. So 6 hours total for the week, with no swimming. Not what I had planned 5 weeks out from IMNZ. Still life throws things in the way sometimes, so lets call it a rest week. Looking forwards to another big week this week.

I did my long run Monday this week (as it was a public holiday) and man the heat was brutal. Not a good run but at least I got the job done. As I was suffering, I did have a thought for the upcoming ironman;

I know I'm going to be slow, I'll be finishing in the dark and there will be much walking on the run. If its a hot day do you experienced guys think it would be a good idea to walk lap 1 of the run (in the afternoon heat) and then attempt to run the 2nd and 3rd laps once it's cooled down a bit. Or is it a better strategy to go straight into the run/walk schedule from step 1? Bearing in mind that I am a really heavy sweater on the run, and do suffer in the heat.

Final thought for DQ, congratulations on Boston. That's awesome.
2017-02-06 11:31 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Welcome Colin.

Congrats on 70.3 Worlds Nicole!!

Typical weekend for me. Long slow run Saturday and what should've been a slow ride on Sunday but went a little too hard at times

SMOG squad swimming tonight.

What a Super Bowl by the way!!

-Matt
2017-02-07 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ctpeel

NAME: ctpeel/Collin

STORY: I am turning 30 years old this year and needed a goal. I used to run cross country and was on a swim team when I was younger but let myself get lazy during college etc. Over the past 4 years or so I do think that I have done a pretty decent job of staying in shape. I like to run, swim, lift weights etc. This year I decided to actually come up with a goal to strive for. I could feel myself getting a little restless with my life, job etc and thought this would be a great way to keep me focused and healthy both physically and mentally.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 4 years. No children. Wife is active with me but we do have different backgrounds and I want to push myself a bit more. We have a beautiful 3 year old dog daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I found a 16 week Olympic distance plan and I am going to stick to that. I think it does each discipline 2x a week and I am going to mix in 3 days of weight lifting. I will see how I feel though and change that if it's too much.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2016 Did no races

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I plan on doing Olympic Distance CAPTEX triathlon in Austin, TX. Memorial Day weekend.

WEIGHTLOSS: To be honest I am a pretty lean guy. I don't need to lose weight. I would like to maintain my weight while improving my endurance.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: For me I'd like to just have some other humans to ask questions, push each other, etc. Just looking for some accountability while doing all this. I don't really have anyone to train with here locally so looking for a little internet camaraderie.

Collin - Really glad to have you! This is a great place to get some accountability - in fact the groups first name before we discovered we all loved beer was Big DH's Accountability group. DH was the founder and he was all about helping out so please let us know how we can help you.

What's you're favorite kind of beer?
2017-02-07 6:46 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Welcome Colin.

Congrats on 70.3 Worlds Nicole!!

Typical weekend for me. Long slow run Saturday and what should've been a slow ride on Sunday but went a little too hard at times

SMOG squad swimming tonight.

What a Super Bowl by the way!!

-Matt

Keep up the great training Matt!

2017-02-07 6:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hi guys,

I'm back from Australia, and back in a civilized country with proper internet access

Last week was not a good training week for me, my trip got a bit hectic, we ended up adding a visit to a plant in WA to the schedule which added a lot of traveling time. Australia is a big place. Anyway, early starts, late finishes and the jet lag that comes with changing time zones every couple of days meant only 2 x 30 minute runs during the week.

On the weekend I had another 2 30 minute runs, and got in a 4 hour bike. So 6 hours total for the week, with no swimming. Not what I had planned 5 weeks out from IMNZ. Still life throws things in the way sometimes, so lets call it a rest week. Looking forwards to another big week this week.

I did my long run Monday this week (as it was a public holiday) and man the heat was brutal. Not a good run but at least I got the job done. As I was suffering, I did have a thought for the upcoming ironman;

I know I'm going to be slow, I'll be finishing in the dark and there will be much walking on the run. If its a hot day do you experienced guys think it would be a good idea to walk lap 1 of the run (in the afternoon heat) and then attempt to run the 2nd and 3rd laps once it's cooled down a bit. Or is it a better strategy to go straight into the run/walk schedule from step 1? Bearing in mind that I am a really heavy sweater on the run, and do suffer in the heat.

Final thought for DQ, congratulations on Boston. That's awesome.

Thanks man!

About the IM - that might be a good strategy depending on the difference in heat and humidity between Sunlight and Darkness and the coverage on the course. Then again - part of IM training is training for the worst and hoping for the best. When I did IMMT, I expected a hot day and trained that way - with salt tabs, hydration, and everything. That calmed the evil worried voices in my head because I knew I could handle anything. Another idea - you might want to try for a faster 2nd half split by planning on walking longer intervals early in the race - that might be a more moderate plan than walking the entire first loop. But whatever you do - practice it during your training and then stick to the plan.
2017-02-07 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

So my new boss was supposed to be working on our budget file. She's been working on it for 2 weeks. I have told her where to find the info she needed. It was due last Friday. NOTHING IS DONE. So now I am doing it....but I will be leaving in time to make it to Masters practice tonight b/c honestly, it is not really my fault that it is late and I refuse to cancel my plans b/c she doesn't know what she's doing and no one is training her.

A rage swim might be in the cards. Why on earth is this woman getting paid almost twice my salary when I'm the one training her?

Sorry to hear about the crappiness at work. I hope it led to a great swim.
2017-02-07 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
This mornings workout blew chunks. I walked for 35 minutes and then biked for 25. All the while my body was screaming out in fatigue.

My coach has me going from zero to sixty in terms of length of workouts. For the past six months I've basically been a couch potato and now he has me working out 6-7 hours per week if you count in all the core work. My body isn't too pleased and there is a pain in front of my left ankle that's concerning.

My problem is that I've got 10 weeks to train for a Mary (which is on my bucket list) and my body is 100 pounds over weight.

I need to tell me coach to dial it down a bit but the thing is I trust him totally. He's also doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart. I also want to finish the race - it's as important to me as IMMT back in 2014. SO I'm in stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need him to push me but right now I need to push back. I hope he takes it well.

Thanks for letting me vent.
2017-02-07 7:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

This mornings workout blew chunks. I walked for 35 minutes and then biked for 25. All the while my body was screaming out in fatigue.

My coach has me going from zero to sixty in terms of length of workouts. For the past six months I've basically been a couch potato and now he has me working out 6-7 hours per week if you count in all the core work. My body isn't too pleased and there is a pain in front of my left ankle that's concerning.

My problem is that I've got 10 weeks to train for a Mary (which is on my bucket list) and my body is 100 pounds over weight.

I need to tell me coach to dial it down a bit but the thing is I trust him totally. He's also doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart. I also want to finish the race - it's as important to me as IMMT back in 2014. SO I'm in stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need him to push me but right now I need to push back. I hope he takes it well.

Slow and steady wins this race!! Be careful trying to ramp things up too fast. That is just a recipe for getting hurt. Good luck talking with your coach!
2017-02-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice master's swim this morning, 2150yds. Missed yesterday--just couldn't get out of bed that early after the Super Bowl (ugh--I can't believe that game!). Ended up taking the morning off and doing my run/yoga, then reading a book all morning. It was nice. The afternoon, not so nice...I did my taxes. At least I'm getting a refund.

2017-02-07 8:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Slow and steady wins this race!! Be careful trying to ramp things up too fast. That is just a recipe for getting hurt. Good luck talking with your coach!

Absolutely, just listen to your body. I'm sure this guy knows what he's doing, but everyone is different and if something is concerning you, you should let him know. I bet in a couple weeks though you start feeling much better!
2017-02-07 9:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Sorry to hear about the crappiness at work. I hope it led to a great swim.

It was okay. We swam about 2800y in an hour. He has me with a fast group even though I am not there yet. I know it will push me, but it's frustrating to get so far behind sometimes, and I am still working on getting my head down while I'm swimming so I'm not picking it up when I breathe. He keeps saying it, and I keep telling him that it feels like my head is down! So frustrating. Also had someone almost barrel into me last night, which upset me more b/c that is part of the reason I have a hard time keeping my head down (not being able to see what is coming).

Did bodypump this morning too, so my muscles are feeling very fatigued, but in a good way. Now back to work...
2017-02-07 9:10 AM

Austin, Texas

Welcome Collin! My best friend moved to Austin about a year ago and I am going down to visit her in April. I hear great things! Kind of wish I was coming Memorial Day weekend now though. Would've been cool to do a race with a fellow BaDAsS.

That would have been cool! You will love Austin.
2017-02-07 9:20 AM

Austin, Texas
So Yesterday's training for me was 30 minutes of strength.

Did Front Squats 5@65#, 5@85#, 5@95#, 5@115#, 5@135#
Then did 5x5 Pullups
Followed by 3.6 mile run. 30:45

My calves are super sore today. I haven't run in a long time and was concentrating on trying to land on the ball of my foot. I'll just roll them out a bunch tonight.

Today I am going to try and do 30minutes of strength and 30 minute swim. I think I will shoot for 1000 yards but I am easing back into the swimming.
2017-02-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #5212761

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Man! Gorgeous afternoon for a run here--72F, sunny, and a light breeze. Just awesome. Unfortunately, taper calls for just two miles today. Did it and a little post-run yoga, then sat outside for a long while with the pup. It is just too beautiful here!!

2017-02-07 4:22 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Juancho

Here's the new one, before the aerobars.  

Niiiiiice bike! Strong motivation for outdoor rides

1.15h run in cold, windy morning...but did it!

Juan

Nothing like a nice glass of red wine to warm you up

No doubt!!
2017-02-07 4:27 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
2500m swim at 2.01 and 10k run right after - thought i would not finish, but, getting fitter and training my mind for longer train sessions....

Juan
2017-02-07 11:38 PM
in reply to: #5212849

User image

, California
Low 50s and raining for my afternoon ride today. My wife said "you're not using the trainer it looks like rain?" and I responded with "only 30% chance" ??. Let's just say I should've used the trainer. ????

-Matt
2017-02-08 7:03 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Low 50s and raining for my afternoon ride today. My wife said "you're not using the trainer it looks like rain?" and I responded with "only 30% chance" ??. Let's just say I should've used the trainer. ????

-Matt

DOn't forget Rule #9 by the Velominati -

Rule #9 //
If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 41373 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.