Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-04-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Mike - I think incorporating axe throwing would be a cinch! and with a good sheath, not chance of stabbing yourself while you run or whatever. I feel like that has to have been a few biathlon shooting-your-own-foot injuries...
Welcome back to the DMV and sorry to hear your back is still bothering you. Keep us posted for sure.
Oh and thanks for bringing this weather with you. It's been lovely!

Andrew - We can still run, but people would have to run extra. We had to do it last minute last year. Hoping to find someone still since we had a little time.

Gretchen - Your sister has been trying to get you to do the Seneca 7?! Oh man, you have to do it one of these years!

Nathalie - I lol'd at your meowing cats! I mean, if you can use it as an excuse I'm happy to share
Good luck on your hill workout! And yay for your team!!!

2023-04-11 12:42 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Got in a 30 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 minutes of core. I'm feeling a bit tired b/c I've been waking up a half hour earlier (5am), but think I am adjusting pretty quickly. I'm still laying in bed for longer than I should, but now I have an extra half hour so haven't been skipping workouts.
2023-04-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen...nice work on the long workout...there will be more of them (and longer ones)!!

@Nathalie and Nicole:  I now have the sound of whining cats in my head - thanks! 

@Andrew:  even though it's quick and takes the extra 15 minutes, it's worth it for swim frequency; so much of swim speed is form and if you do it more often so much the better (and you won't be tired either); I sometimes do a 10-minute cool down swim at the gym after a workout and just work on form and not being lazy with the lower half of my body

This morning was an hour free ride around Zwift pushing it pretty hard, then a strength and core session with the wife.  At 5:45 AM ugh.  I gotta back into my routine after living in resorts for the past six weeks.  Serious first world problem.  I've adjusted my schedule for the time being to about a hundred miles a week on the bike and 5-6K yards in the pool plus some light running and we'll see how it goes.

2023-04-11 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Started the week with 75 minutes of Z2 zwifting Monday, first ride over an hour for ages and the beginning of re-ramping up my long rides. Tuesday was a 45m progression run through Z2 on the treadmill. Every 5 minutes the pace went up 1 notch. (Not that Mr Garmin recognizes that very well)

Mr 5 decided he needed to join us in the big bed at 3am this morning, so safe to say I'm fairly tired today. Aiming for 60min interval ride on zwift tonight, but the way I'm feeling now it might very well become an unscheduled rest day.

@Mike, I have heard that before, that frequency of swims can be equally or even more important than the total amount of swimming you do. Like you say it's such a technique driven sport. If you're going to swim 60 minutes a week it can be better to do 2x30 minute swims rather than 1 long one.

Getting to the pool is definitely the hardest part of Tri training for me. In the pre kid days I'd just leave for work an hour early and stop for a swim on the way in. Unfortunately that's not an option with the morning routine and getting everyone to school/kindy at the moment. I do need to swim more though. That's always the case for me.
2023-04-11 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in a 30 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 minutes of core. I'm feeling a bit tired b/c I've been waking up a half hour earlier (5am), but think I am adjusting pretty quickly. I'm still laying in bed for longer than I should, but now I have an extra half hour so haven't been skipping workouts.

If I don't get out of bed within a couple minutes of my alarm or waking up, I feel like crap, unless I have enough time to force myself back to sleep which takes a while sometimes. 

I hate getting older. 

2023-04-12 1:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in a 30 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 minutes of core. I'm feeling a bit tired b/c I've been waking up a half hour earlier (5am), but think I am adjusting pretty quickly. I'm still laying in bed for longer than I should, but now I have an extra half hour so haven't been skipping workouts.

If I don't get out of bed within a couple minutes of my alarm or waking up, I feel like crap, unless I have enough time to force myself back to sleep which takes a while sometimes. 

I hate getting older. 

I'm with you here, Mike. I'm usually awake before my alarm. On the rare occasion that I sleep until the alarm goes off, I get up right away. My wife, on the other hand, is a prodigious user of the snooze button. I just don't understand. If you want to sleep until X time, set your alarm for that time! Why wake yourself up every 7 or 9 minutes for an hour before you have to get up?!?!?!?!?! Someone explain it to me like I'm 5!

My general attitude is that a REM cycle is about 45' long, so if I wake up any time less than 45' before my alarm goes off, going back to sleep for those minutes would be less restful, as disrupted REM cycles generally cause grogginess.

2023-04-12 1:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Gretchen - Your sister has been trying to get you to do the Seneca 7?! Oh man, you have to do it one of these years!

Yes, she used to live near the race site, so she did it several years with friends of hers. She tried to get me to come over an do the race for a few years, but then moved away and now only asks every other year or so. :D
2023-04-12 1:41 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Has anyone noticed we have several hundred more posts than the Manatees? Those folks are always the post leaders! Good job everyone sticking around and posting!

My morning involved 1:15 Z1 trainer ride, which was boring, but fine (and now done), followed by the fifth discipline (changing into a swimsuit when sweaty) and then 2000yds in the pool, during which I got rained on, but then got to see a short little rainbow for the space of one 25 back stroke length before it disappeared into the clouds. Overall, swim was good, bike was good, rainbow was nice and now my day can begin. Nothing on the docket for the rest of the day.
2023-04-12 5:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I hate getting older. 

I'm with you here, Mike. I'm usually awake before my alarm. On the rare occasion that I sleep until the alarm goes off, I get up right away. My wife, on the other hand, is a prodigious user of the snooze button. I just don't understand. If you want to sleep until X time, set your alarm for that time! Why wake yourself up every 7 or 9 minutes for an hour before you have to get up?!?!?!?!?! Someone explain it to me like I'm 5!

My general attitude is that a REM cycle is about 45' long, so if I wake up any time less than 45' before my alarm goes off, going back to sleep for those minutes would be less restful, as disrupted REM cycles generally cause grogginess.

Alarm? What's that? Haven't used one for about a year and feel so much better for it. I usually wake up on time (because I don't need to get up at 5 am anyway) but if I don't, I just get to work when I get to work and stay longer instead or catch up the time at the weekend. Lucky to work for a company that's quite flexible.

2023-04-12 5:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Has anyone noticed we have several hundred more posts than the Manatees? Those folks are always the post leaders! Good job everyone sticking around and posting!

well, it's not a competition but.... we're winning yeah!!!

My morning involved 1:15 Z1 trainer ride, which was boring, but fine (and now done), followed by the fifth discipline (changing into a swimsuit when sweaty) and then 2000yds in the pool, during which I got rained on, but then got to see a short little rainbow for the space of one 25 back stroke length before it disappeared into the clouds. Overall, swim was good, bike was good, rainbow was nice and now my day can begin. Nothing on the docket for the rest of the day.

I would wear my tri suit/shorts for the ride, problem solved

2023-04-12 8:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

1...isn't everything a competition?!?!?!?!

2...not really into wearing my expensive tri gear into the hotel pool. The chlorine levels are out of this world in these pools...and I wouldn't have it any other way, given what tends to happen in hotel pools.

2023-04-12 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Has anyone noticed we have several hundred more posts than the Manatees? Those folks are always the post leaders! Good job everyone sticking around and posting!
Originally posted by drfoodlove My morning involved 1:15 Z1 trainer ride, which was boring, but fine (and now done), followed by the fifth discipline (changing into a swimsuit when sweaty) and then 2000yds in the pool, during which I got rained on, but then got to see a short little rainbow for the space of one 25 back stroke length before it disappeared into the clouds. Overall, swim was good, bike was good, rainbow was nice and now my day can begin. Nothing on the docket for the rest of the day.
1...isn't everything a competition?!?!?!?! 2...not really into wearing my expensive tri gear into the hotel pool. The chlorine levels are out of this world in these pools...and I wouldn't have it any other way, given what tends to happen in hotel pools.

Yeah, it's OK to swim in your tri gear once in a while if you want to get used to it in water and don't have OWS options, but it'll destroy the lycra in short order especially if you don't rinse yourself before and after.

2023-04-12 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Has anyone noticed we have several hundred more posts than the Manatees? Those folks are always the post leaders! Good job everyone sticking around and posting! 

I would've posted something about this in my other post, but in the spirit of padding our numbers I'll add another one and say, "YAY US!!!"

2023-04-12 10:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by drfoodlove My morning involved 1:15 Z1 trainer ride, which was boring, but fine (and now done), followed by the fifth discipline (changing into a swimsuit when sweaty) and then 2000yds in the pool, during which I got rained on, but then got to see a short little rainbow for the space of one 25 back stroke length before it disappeared into the clouds. Overall, swim was good, bike was good, rainbow was nice and now my day can begin. Nothing on the docket for the rest of the day.
1...isn't everything a competition?!?!?!?! 2...not really into wearing my expensive tri gear into the hotel pool. The chlorine levels are out of this world in these pools...and I wouldn't have it any other way, given what tends to happen in hotel pools.

Yeah, it's OK to swim in your tri gear once in a while if you want to get used to it in water and don't have OWS options, but it'll destroy the lycra in short order especially if you don't rinse yourself before and after.

how about using an old one you don't use anymore, or buying a cheap one?
2023-04-12 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I have to agree with Mike. Keep the overpriced Tri gear (And all tri gear is overpriced according to Mrs Bullfrog) out of the chlorine filled pool.
2023-04-12 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

75min ride and 2k yards? That is a big morning to get done before work. How early to you need to be at the office? I'd have to start at like 4am to get all that done before work. And that's not fun for a natural night owl.

2023-04-12 6:07 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by bulfrog

Mr 5 decided he needed to join us in the big bed at 3am this morning, so safe to say I'm fairly tired today. Aiming for 60min interval ride on zwift tonight, but the way I'm feeling now it might very well become an unscheduled rest day.

Got my ride in as scheduled. Mostly Z2 with 4x2.5' 105%FTP intervals. The legs were spent by the end, and I had run out of dry sweatbands... so I guess that means it was a good workout.
2023-04-12 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I would've posted something about this in my other post, but in the spirit of padding our numbers I'll add another one and say, "YAY US!!!"

Definitely didn't do every comment in it's own post as a blatant attempt to up the post count.

Although we've been pretty active on here, I think the fact we're winning the post count (not that its a competition) has more to do with the slow demise of the overall BT community. I think in the not too distant future we're going to have to start a strava club, or FB group or something before this place is gone. :/
2023-04-12 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Definitely didn't do every comment in it's own post as a blatant attempt to up the post count. Although we've been pretty active on here, I think the fact we're winning the post count (not that its a competition) has more to do with the slow demise of the overall BT community. I think in the not too distant future we're going to have to start a strava club, or FB group or something before this place is gone. :/

That's a fair assessment I'm afraid...when the Manatees post count is down you know we're circling.  I know there are still a ton of people that use the logs here and post like once every six months, but the vibe from 10-15 years ago is definitely long gone.  I belong to several FB groups for a number of topics and the formatting sucks.  I've never understood the sub-thread thing like FB and Reddit...can't stand it.

Oh well enough doom and gloom today - got in a Bikram session this morning and a lunch bike working on power in aero.  Both went reasonably well.  6 AM gym session tomorrow.

2023-04-12 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Definitely didn't do every comment in it's own post as a blatant attempt to up the post count. Although we've been pretty active on here, I think the fact we're winning the post count (not that its a competition) has more to do with the slow demise of the overall BT community. I think in the not too distant future we're going to have to start a strava club, or FB group or something before this place is gone. :/

That's a fair assessment I'm afraid...when the Manatees post count is down you know we're circling.  I know there are still a ton of people that use the logs here and post like once every six months, but the vibe from 10-15 years ago is definitely long gone.  I belong to several FB groups for a number of topics and the formatting sucks.  I've never understood the sub-thread thing like FB and Reddit...can't stand it.

Oh well enough doom and gloom today - got in a Bikram session this morning and a lunch bike working on power in aero.  Both went reasonably well.  6 AM gym session tomorrow.

I've got to agree, facebook has etc. has it's place. But I much prefer an old school forum for the ongoing day to day banter like this. Nice job on the workouts. Hopefully the yoga is doing magic for your back.
2023-04-12 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

, Vermont
Hey all! Mike, sorry to hear about the back! I hope you get to healing so you can get back at it!

Gretchen and Andrew, nice efforts this month!

Nicole , I hope your team finds another runner!

Nathalie, any ice left? Are you still going for ice swims?

I know there was someone new who popped in, I haven’t seen them post recently though. And hi to Dave Q, wherever you are!

It’s been a tough go and tonight I decided to get a race on the schedule to give me a goal to work towards. I signed up for the Lake George 70.3, now put on by Alpha Win. I’ve done it a couple of times before but under previous ownership. I’m excited to go back. I’m nervous because I’m grossly out of shape. Ack! But the fire has now been lit.

2023-04-13 12:32 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hey all! Mike, sorry to hear about the back! I hope you get to healing so you can get back at it!

Gretchen and Andrew, nice efforts this month!

Nicole , I hope your team finds another runner!

Nathalie, any ice left? Are you still going for ice swims?

I know there was someone new who popped in, I haven’t seen them post recently though. And hi to Dave Q, wherever you are!

It’s been a tough go and tonight I decided to get a race on the schedule to give me a goal to work towards. I signed up for the Lake George 70.3, now put on by Alpha Win. I’ve done it a couple of times before but under previous ownership. I’m excited to go back. I’m nervous because I’m grossly out of shape. Ack! But the fire has now been lit.

No ice left but still too cold to swim. Soon though, they are predicting nice weather for the next couple of weeks, I think I will try next weekend.

Great! Nothing better than signing for a race to get some motivation! When is it?

I am in several groups on Facebook too but I rarely write anything. I find it hard to follow threads. Why does FB insists on showing me “most relevant” comments first (and who the F are you to tell me what I may or may not find relevant?) it’s impossible to follow a thread.
I like our little group, if BT closes the forum, we’d have to find another platform but not Facebook, maybe whatsap or something.

2023-04-13 1:08 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

how about using an old one you don't use anymore, or buying a cheap one?

I lost 160lbs (~73kg) over the last two years. I have to recruit someone else wear my old tri clothes with me to fill them out! As for buying cheap ones here...so far, I've not run across a store that would sell them in Egypt and importing one would be a saga for the ages. I'll have to stick with changing to swim suit between and complaining about it...at least until I get home!
2023-04-13 1:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

75min ride and 2k yards? That is a big morning to get done before work. How early to you need to be at the office? I'd have to start at like 4am to get all that done before work. And that's not fun for a natural night owl.

I have no set time to be in the office, I can wander in whenever I want, but I try to be here around 8, because my more productive time of the day is early. After lunch tapers off until about 3, when I become downright dumb sometimes. My major constraints are the pool and the traffic. Pool opens at 6 and I can count on being the only one in it until at least 7, so that's when I try to swim. The traffic starts picking up at about 6:30, so I try to finish runs before then (CANNOT run on the sidewalks--uneven, HUGE curbs, random cars/motorcycles parked on them, etc.). I think I started the bike at about 4:30, which would be a little early, but not hugely so for me. I am a morning person. I just don't like other morning people, as in, I love to get up early and do my own thing, whether that be training, or working, or some house project, without talking to other people. It works well for us, because my wife is a night owl. On the weekends, she will regularly get up 6-8 hours after I do.
2023-04-13 1:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Got my ride in as scheduled. Mostly Z2 with 4x2.5' 105%FTP intervals. The legs were spent by the end, and I had run out of dry sweatbands... so I guess that means it was a good workout.

Great job getting it in, despite your less than ideal sleep the night before!

You change sweatbands throughout the workout? I just wring mine out on the floor! I love seeing the giant puddle under the bike after a hard session! (note: my wife HATES this practice, even though I have a large rubber mat under my bike and mop it up after each workout, she still thinks it is gross--she might be the more civilized half of our relationship)
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland