BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2008-01-09 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed
20 miles on the bike today.

Good job on the weight loss Gygy.

2008-01-09 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Utah
So back on the topic of Hr monitors, I'll be looking to spend very little, but get a decent monitor. Are there brands i should avoid like the plague? Brands that are worth a little extra? And how important are all the added features to someone just starting out?
2008-01-09 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1147056

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

givemashot - 2008-01-09 11:20 PM So back on the topic of Hr monitors, I'll be looking to spend very little, but get a decent monitor. Are there brands i should avoid like the plague? Brands that are worth a little extra? And how important are all the added features to someone just starting out?

Hi Amy with the sparkling pink star.  I can't speak for the other brands, but you probably can't go wrong with Polar.  I would shoot for getting the model with a chronograph (keeps track of your workout time) and the ability to calculate average HR over a set period.  I don't know if I would spend the extra $30 on the model where your monitor and strap are on a unique signal.  I find that not that many people wear, or know how to use a HR monitor correctly, and therefore haven't had much interference from other signals.  The other nice thing about Polar, is you can go to the gym, workout on the treadmill with just your strap (and workout clothes of course) and many treadmills will pick up your cheststrap's signal without you having to wear your wrist monitor.  The treadmill or stationary bike will say 'Polar ready.'  But then again, I also have a 'non-Polar' HR monitor (where's Noz when you need him...I said 'non-polar'), and the 'Polar ready' equipment will still pick up my cheststrap's signal.

It'll run you about $89 retail.  If you're patient and don't need one right away, my wife has bought gifts for me on Amazon.com and has paid up to 40% less for new, in the box equipment.  Just make sure to check the ratings on the seller.

2008-01-10 1:23 AM

User image

Expert
I second the comment on Polar. They are the Cadillac of heart rate monitors. And like Sal said, many gym machines pick up the Polar signal. They dont pick up my Garmin Chest strap signal.
2008-01-10 1:25 AM

User image

Expert
I have a duck bill on my bike helmet.

Nice sometimes for keeping the sun out of my eyes. But seems like I have to look up more while in aero and that hurts my neck and shoulders.

Keep it or take it off. If off, can I just pull it off or do I have to be careful about damaging the helmet.

Anything I can do to improve the soreness in my neck and upper shoulders while in aero?

My legs and lower back are fine, but the shoulders hurt, and I have to come out of aero way too often.
2008-01-10 6:15 AM
in reply to: #1147063

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2008-01-10 12:34 AM

givemashot - 2008-01-09 11:20 PM So back on the topic of Hr monitors, I'll be looking to spend very little, but get a decent monitor. Are there brands i should avoid like the plague? Brands that are worth a little extra? And how important are all the added features to someone just starting out?

Hi Amy with the sparkling pink star.  I can't speak for the other brands, but you probably can't go wrong with Polar.  I would shoot for getting the model with a chronograph (keeps track of your workout time) and the ability to calculate average HR over a set period.  I don't know if I would spend the extra $30 on the model where your monitor and strap are on a unique signal.  I find that not that many people wear, or know how to use a HR monitor correctly, and therefore haven't had much interference from other signals.  The other nice thing about Polar, is you can go to the gym, workout on the treadmill with just your strap (and workout clothes of course) and many treadmills will pick up your cheststrap's signal without you having to wear your wrist monitor.  The treadmill or stationary bike will say 'Polar ready.'  But then again, I also have a 'non-Polar' HR monitor (where's Noz when you need him...I said 'non-polar'), and the 'Polar ready' equipment will still pick up my cheststrap's signal.

It'll run you about $89 retail.  If you're patient and don't need one right away, my wife has bought gifts for me on Amazon.com and has paid up to 40% less for new, in the box equipment.  Just make sure to check the ratings on the seller.

Polar is an excellent brand!

If you are just looking for a general fitness HRM then I would recommend the F6 model.  It will keep track of your work out duration, avg/max HR, calories... including the %age of calories burned from fat, you can set your "own zones" on it so the readings are specific to you.  It has a good "filing" system where it retains data about daily and weekly training.  In my opinion, for a basic HRM it is the best value.  With that said, the RS200 sd is a more running specific HRM.  It comes with a foot pod.  If you are in need of that technology as well as lap counting ability, you might consider that one, though it is considerably more expensive than the F6.  Most importantly, Amy, the F6 comes in pink (as well as other colors).

Incidentally, Sal, if you would pony up and join Life Time, you would never say that you don't see that many people with HRMs at the gym (though even with that I haven't ever had a trouble with HRM interference).  It's a culture at Life Time and most people do wear them.  It is one of the many reasons why it's such a cool place to work and work out .

Edited by milaminute 2008-01-10 6:16 AM

2008-01-10 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1147114

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-01-10 2:25 AM I have a duck bill on my bike helmet. Nice sometimes for keeping the sun out of my eyes. But seems like I have to look up more while in aero and that hurts my neck and shoulders. Keep it or take it off. If off, can I just pull it off or do I have to be careful about damaging the helmet. Anything I can do to improve the soreness in my neck and upper shoulders while in aero? My legs and lower back are fine, but the shoulders hurt, and I have to come out of aero way too often.

Hey Cash!

I am not sure about the duck bill removal.  How old is the helmet?  If it's been awhile since you bought a new one I'd go ahead and just replace it... better safe than sorry.

Is your bike a tri bike or a road bike with clip on aerobars? 

2008-01-10 3:09 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Well where the heck is everybody today? 
2008-01-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1148588

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

milaminute - 2008-01-10 3:09 PM Well where the heck is everybody today? 

Uh...working...got a trip to ATL Chicago to prep for next Thursday...

2008-01-10 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

science term senses, tingling.  oooh yeah....

sorry, i'm here.  i have a polar HR and it works super great.  i've had slight problems with getting the strap to read, but usually it is a water or battery issue.

and, in the sciency saying, polar indicates an asymmetrical distribution of electrons resulting in a net vector movement of the molecule.  so you could say, if you use a "polar" hr monitor, it is pulling you along as it is attracted to ......oh no, i've gone cross-eyed.

2008-01-10 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1148905

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Noz - 2008-01-10 5:45 PM

sorry, i'm here.  i have a polar HR and it works super great.  i've had slight problems with getting the strap to read, but usually it is a water or battery issue.

and, in the sciency saying, polar indicates an asymmetrical distribution of electrons resulting in a net vector movement of the molecule.  so you could say, if you use a "polar" hr monitor, it is pulling you along as it is attracted to ......oh no, i've gone cross-eyed.

by all means, continue. 

2008-01-10 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I have a Polar F11 and I like it.  I had a Timex Ironman before that and it did the job, just doesn't store data like the Polar.  The only thing I wish it had was an interval timer, when I was doing run/walk with a group they had set their timer to go off every 3 min, then 1 min, to signal our run/walk intervals.  Neither one of my HRM I had that capability. 
2008-01-10 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

I've never been sorry sal and Mila a big proponent of HRM training, but then I've never really used one very much.  Maybe I should.  I've got one, but with a body as old as mine is (I'm even older that Sal) if I work in Z2 I'm walking at a 15 minute pace (I know that he who should not be named would prefer that so he can beat me in July) or so it seems.   I guess I've never mastered the art.

I do like the RPE example that Mila suggests -- I call it the talk test.  On a LSD Run, if I can relatively easily say complete sentences, I'm probably pacing about right.

I know everyone here is touting the Polar and it is, no doubt, the cadillac of HRM's.  However, I only wanna wear one watch at a time so I'd recommend the Garmin 301 or 305.  That way you get the benefits of a GPS based training watch and the ability to easily correlate your HRM activity with things like pace.  I know that it may not be good on a "polar ready" treadmill or stationary, but such is life -- I prefer to run on anything (almost) other than a DREADMILL!

I don't know how I lived before I got my Garmin ----  Like my American Express card, I won't leave home without it!

Edited by UTTriman 2008-01-10 6:36 PM
2008-01-10 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1148905

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Noz - 2008-01-10 5:45 PM

Mmmmm... asymmetrical distribution... vector... molecule...

Oops, sorry, distracted.

I often recommend that people use HRM gel instead of water on their straps.  It doesn't cost a lot and works GREAT.  Some people find that their HRMs really don't read well until they actually start sweating even if they have spit on wet it with water before putting it on.

Edited by milaminute 2008-01-10 7:21 PM
2008-01-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1149081

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
UTTriman - 2008-01-10 7:36 PM

I've never been sorry sal and Mila a big proponent of HRM training.

DOH.  Uh.  OK, then forget that whole weight loss thing I was gonna post... Carry on.  Nothing to see here.

No apologies (in secret font) necessary.  To each his own .

I do like the RPE example that Mila suggests -- I call it the talk test.  On a LSD Run, if I can relatively easily say complete sentences, I'm probably pacing about right.

Yup, exactly!  And, uhhh... for the record, in the industry we refer to that as, the, ummm... "talk test"!! We try to keep things simple.

I know everyone here is touting the Polar and it is, no doubt, the cadillac of HRM's.  However, I only wanna wear one watch at a time so I'd recommend the Garmin 301 or 305.  That way you get the benefits of a GPS based training watch and the ability to easily correlate your HRM activity with things like pace.  I know that it may not be good on a "polar ready" treadmill or stationary, but such is life -- I prefer to run on anything (almost) other than a DREADMILL!

I don't know how I lived before I got my Garmin ----  Like my American Express card, I won't leave home without it!

I don't have a Garmin but will buy one in the not too distant future.  I think a Garmin is a great thing to have and I wish I already had one.  My Polar F3, F6 or F11 recommendation is for a very basic fitness model HRM that is relatively affordable.  Also, I don't think I'd wear a Garmin everyday.  I never take off my Polar (except when my husband suggested it didn't match my little black dress I was wearing to a holiday party).  When I get a Garmin I will likely still use my Polar for swimming, spinning and treadmill or track runs as well as for an everyday watch.  Not so much with the Garmin.  You know, I'm a girly girl and all.  It's a little clunky .

Edited by milaminute 2008-01-10 7:25 PM
2008-01-10 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1149136

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
milaminute - 2008-01-10 7:19 PM
UTTriman - 2008-01-10 7:36 PM

I've never been sorry sal and Mila a big proponent of HRM training.

DOH.  Uh.  OK, then forget that whole weight loss thing I was gonna post... Carry on.  Nothing to see here.

No apologies (in secret font) necessary.  To each his own .

I probably said that poorly... Probably because I've never mastered the art of HRM training....

Now can I have some weight loss tips??   PLEASE?

2008-01-10 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
I love heart rate training. And I use the Garmin 305. Used to use the 301, but the 305 has a much more comfortable strap and is a more accurate gps unit.

I second Mila's gel idea. I buy a 4 ounce tube from the bike store for about 8 dollars and it lasts me several months. Could probably find it cheaper elsewhere if I looked.
2008-01-10 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
18.5 miles on the bike today. Could see much better without the bill.

New helmet? Pishaw, this one is Orange and matches my bike. All the other new ones would clash, and I would never hear the end of it from my g/f.

Not that I match well anyway. She says I need Grr Animals on my clothes.
2008-01-11 1:38 AM

User image

Expert
Found this interesting comment from one of my tri club members

Yesterday, when my husband called me from the Garmin booth at the
Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas, he got the scoop that the 305 model
is still the better device for multisport activities. Also, do not
take the 405 model into the water. I've been reading how triathletes
put their Garmins into their swim caps, in plastic baggies, in
waterproof diving containers, etc., and that's okay, but don't do that
with the new model. ~ Cindy
2008-01-11 5:58 AM
in reply to: #1149016

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey all,

Finally better!! Just in time for the weekend! I have a Garmin 305 Edge, w. HRM and Cadence for the bike which I could not live with out! I also use a Polar (need a new one as mine is broke) for my runs. I don't use a HRM in the water as I find using RPE works for me.

When I race, I use the polar since I have a TT bike with a computer only, and I can wear the polar for the entire duration of the race from start to finish its a system that has worked over the years.

So what is everyone's Training Plans for the Weekend?
2008-01-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1149710

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Lwoodtri - 2008-01-11 5:58 AM Hey all, Finally better!! Just in time for the weekend! I have a Garmin 305 Edge, w. HRM and Cadence for the bike which I could not live with out! I also use a Polar (need a new one as mine is broke) for my runs. I don't use a HRM in the water as I find using RPE works for me. When I race, I use the polar since I have a TT bike with a computer only, and I can wear the polar for the entire duration of the race from start to finish its a system that has worked over the years. So what is everyone's Training Plans for the Weekend?

Glad you're feeling better Corey...I'm still a little congested, but at least can still workout...

I love my 205...wish I had a 305...205 was a gift from my wife, so I'm NOT complaining...

12 mile run planned for tomorrow...12 degrees tomorrow...brr...

2008-01-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1150112

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
sparco - 2008-01-11 10:06 AM

Glad you're feeling better Corey...I'm still a little congested, but at least can still workout

Ditto that one --  Not fun to feel well -- Glad your feeling better, Corey!

12 mile run planned for tomorrow...12 degrees tomorrow...brr...

BAhhhhh - 12 degrees -- that's a heatwave in MSP!   I'm planning on about 63 tomorrow!!!  Should be nice for a run or a bike!  

2008-01-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1149710

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Lwoodtri - 2008-01-11 6:58 AM  So what is everyone's Training Plans for the Weekend?

Run scheduled for tomorrow while my daughter takes dance, and swim clinic on Sunday.  I am about due for a rest day, but it can wait til Mon. or Tue.   My left lower back muscles and left hip are on the verge, but I am stretching every day which is keeping it at bay for now.   

And as I sang the praises of my Polar yesterday the battery died on me about 15 min into cycle class today, but the cycle computer picked up my transmitter, so I still got my Ave HR. 

2008-01-11 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

I posted this in my blog, but thought it might be fun here, too. 

Funny:  today in abs class the instructor was playing "Love You Down," by Ready for the World, and she asked us if we remembered it, (which I did of course) and referred to it as an "old-school booty call song."  It cracked me up, and I couldn't stop laughing, which made it hard to do abs.  So the question of the day is:  What is your favorite "old-school booty call song?"  I was always partial to some Keith Sweat.    Think High School and College days. 

2008-01-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1150704

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
gygyhawk - 2008-01-11 1:33 PM

Lwoodtri - 2008-01-11 6:58 AM  So what is everyone's Training Plans for the Weekend?

Run scheduled for tomorrow while my daughter takes dance, and swim clinic on Sunday.  I am about due for a rest day, but it can wait til Mon. or Tue.   My left lower back muscles and left hip are on the verge, but I am stretching every day which is keeping it at bay for now.   

And as I sang the praises of my Polar yesterday the battery died on me about 15 min into cycle class today, but the cycle computer picked up my transmitter, so I still got my Ave HR. 

How's the swimming going?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55