Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 220

2011-01-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3285354

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
Houstonrider - 2011-01-06 4:40 PM Right now my sole focus is on IMTX. I've been looking at my training plan and both the distance and volume are going to really start increasing and I still have a lot of work to do in regards to my weight. I'll most likely still do Bridgeland Sprint and I also want to try a cycling road race in August, but beyond that I can't see much beyond May 21st.

Hey bro, have you done any races before? I do enjoy riding with roadies and simulating races but like one guy told me(experienced), make sure you have good insurance and the other thing he said was that if you are experienced enough, meaning if you have ridden for a while with roadies and understand it- get yourself signed up for a cat 4-5 race.

Last year I signed up for a cat 5 race only and I was told to be careful because they are usually full of newbies and as usual "plenty" of crashes. Lets just say I did as expected, had a chance to win the race but got taken out by an inexperienced rider. Not trying to discourage you from doing it- if you can, sign yourself up for a cat4/5 race.

of course, my 2cents,

2011-01-09 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3286316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
golfpro - 2011-01-08 8:55 AM
Houstonrider - 2011-01-06 4:40 PM Right now my sole focus is on IMTX. I've been looking at my training plan and both the distance and volume are going to really start increasing and I still have a lot of work to do in regards to my weight. I'll most likely still do Bridgeland Sprint and I also want to try a cycling road race in August, but beyond that I can't see much beyond May 21st.

Hey bro, have you done any races before? I do enjoy riding with roadies and simulating races but like one guy told me(experienced), make sure you have good insurance and the other thing he said was that if you are experienced enough, meaning if you have ridden for a while with roadies and understand it- get yourself signed up for a cat 4-5 race.

Last year I signed up for a cat 5 race only and I was told to be careful because they are usually full of newbies and as usual "plenty" of crashes. Lets just say I did as expected, had a chance to win the race but got taken out by an inexperienced rider. Not trying to discourage you from doing it- if you can, sign yourself up for a cat4/5 race.

of course, my 2cents,

You are talking me out of it too!  I was planning to do this nonsense with him.  We will see; once I complete my HIM and Justin completes his IM, we will have time to get some local Cat 5 races under our belt and decide.  I still have my road bike, Justin does not.
2011-01-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
ohh dear lord. Driving in TX when there is a hint of frozen stuff coming from the sky is pure death. I do look forward to a 28 degree run tonight though.
2011-01-10 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
OK here are this years race plans

02/20/11  TMS Du 2mi / 16mi / 2mi
04/10/11  DFW MudRun   10k
05/15/11 TexasMan Sprint 800y / 16mi / 5k
06/05/11 PlayTri Sprint 500m / 12mi / 5k
06/26/11 BSLT 70.3 Relay Bike Leg
10/09/11 Toyota US Open Oly 1500m / 40k / 10k

I have a super strong goal for the US Open. It almost sounds crazy but it should be tough and fun to get it done.
2011-01-10 10:21 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I wish I knew how to post pictures in my blog.   Anyways, Todd seems to think this would be interesting to see apparently.  Question, I have a pair of shoes near the end of life.  Should I cut a little hole where the toe is to allow for the swelling and to make sure I don't hurt it anymore?  It was really painful on my long run.  Funny, didn't hurt during the marathon...

(toe.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
toe.JPG (71KB - 17 downloads)
2011-01-10 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3289780

Extreme Veteran
Ouch! That looks miserable, Kim! If you don't think you'd lose too much support, I don't see a problem with cutting a small hole...worth a try if there's a new pair on the horizon.

2011-01-10 7:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Looking for some feedback on my 70.3 plan. I'm taking parts from the BT Olympic to HIM bridge plan I used last year, with a few modifications. The plan is attached.

I've also cut back on the swim training in order to get more time on the bike...I'm pretty confident in my swim ability and preparation, but feel free to let me know if the swim training looks like it's lacking. All other feedback is welcome as well.

A little background about my plan:

Tuesdays and Fridays usually have to be single workouts because of other committments, and Thursdays have to be short run/moderate swim because of a committment there as well.

In my first HIM last year, I was definitely underprepared on the bike, but it was my fault for not getting all of the longer bike sessions in. Lesson learned...I am now committed to doing all of my long rides this year.

I feel good about the run, especially since I have quite a bit of volume from the HM training. I'm still slow, but I can get the distance in for sure...I just want to feel better off the bike this time around.

So, what do you guys think?

Attachments
----------------
Half Ironman Plan 2011.docx (41KB - 17 downloads)
2011-01-10 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3286316

User image

Expert
golfpro - 2011-01-08 8:55 AM

of course, my 2cents,

Hearing other's 2 cents is why I'm here, so thank you for your input. It is definately something I'm interested in (meaning a road race), after seeing a few crits I won't be doing any of them. Did you race in a crit or a road race?
2011-01-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3291204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
roadrhino - 2011-01-10 7:09 PM Looking for some feedback on my 70.3 plan. I'm taking parts from the BT Olympic to HIM bridge plan I used last year, with a few modifications. The plan is attached.

I've also cut back on the swim training in order to get more time on the bike...I'm pretty confident in my swim ability and preparation, but feel free to let me know if the swim training looks like it's lacking. All other feedback is welcome as well.

Tuesdays and Fridays usually have to be single workouts because of other committments, and Thursdays have to be short run/moderate swim because of a committment there as well.

In my first HIM last year, I was definitely underprepared on the bike, but it was my fault for not getting all of the longer bike sessions in. Lesson learned...I am now committed to doing all of my long rides this year.

I feel good about the run, especially since I have quite a bit of volume from the HM training. I'm still slow, but I can get the distance in for sure...I just want to feel better off the bike this time around.

My $.20 ('bout all it's worth)
It looks pretty good for you.  You are a great swimmer so fitness is your issue, not form.  Run volume seems to be pretty good when combined with your work up to the HM.  I would bump up the bike time anywhere you can a bit (maybe 45m instead of 30m in some places - 180m a couple more times).  I have become a huge advocate for over-training the bike.  I think it makes a huge difference in the run.  It's all about the run, but the great run only comes with a well-prepared bike.
2011-01-10 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3291267

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, Ken...so other than adding more bike volume, it doesn't look like I'm under-training anywhere else? I can definitely add more to the bike in the plan...just gotta get out there and do it!  Smile

Kenott - 2011-01-10 7:48 PM
roadrhino - 2011-01-10 7:09 PM Looking for some feedback on my 70.3 plan. I'm taking parts from the BT Olympic to HIM bridge plan I used last year, with a few modifications. The plan is attached.

My $.20 ('bout all it's worth)
It looks pretty good for you.  You are a great swimmer so fitness is your issue, not form.  Run volume seems to be pretty good when combined with your work up to the HM.  I would bump up the bike time anywhere you can a bit (maybe 45m instead of 30m in some places - 180m a couple more times).  I have become a huge advocate for over-training the bike.  I think it makes a huge difference in the run.  It's all about the run, but the great run only comes with a well-prepared bike.
2011-01-10 8:52 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I'd not bother with your 30 minute rides.  I'd say you need to get them up to 45min-1hr range at least.  I'd get more rides in the 3+ hour level.  After you've had a chance to build a bit and if you can get them into your schedule I'd get some 1.5 weekday rides as well.

Am I missing your long runs?  Sorry but I really do better with those colours BT puts in there.    I see a 10 miler but not much in the way of a long run anywhere else in your program.

2011-01-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3291379

Extreme Veteran
Perfect...30 minute rides are now scrapped! I'll increase the long rides as soon as the HM is out of the way and try to get the intermediate rides upwards of an hour +.

I do have some longer runs...the 800 intervals (3 scheduled) usually equal out to being anywhere between 7-10 miles, plus there is a 9-miler and 7-miler in the weeks leading up to the 10 mile run. Think I need more than that?

bzgl40 - 2011-01-10 8:52 PM I'd not bother with your 30 minute rides.  I'd say you need to get them up to 45min-1hr range at least.  I'd get more rides in the 3+ hour level.  After you've had a chance to build a bit and if you can get them into your schedule I'd get some 1.5 weekday rides as well.

Am I missing your long runs?  Sorry but I really do better with those colours BT puts in there.    I see a 10 miler but not much in the way of a long run anywhere else in your program.
2011-01-10 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3291393

User image

Payson, AZ
Like I said, better with colours.    I think if you get about 3 double digit runs and then a few of those longer ones you'll be just fine. 

roadrhino - 2011-01-10 7:58 PM Perfect...30 minute rides are now scrapped! I'll increase the long rides as soon as the HM is out of the way and try to get the intermediate rides upwards of an hour +.

I do have some longer runs...the 800 intervals (3 scheduled) usually equal out to being anywhere between 7-10 miles, plus there is a 9-miler and 7-miler in the weeks leading up to the 10 mile run. Think I need more than that?

bzgl40 - 2011-01-10 8:52 PM I'd not bother with your 30 minute rides.  I'd say you need to get them up to 45min-1hr range at least.  I'd get more rides in the 3+ hour level.  After you've had a chance to build a bit and if you can get them into your schedule I'd get some 1.5 weekday rides as well.

2011-01-10 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3291407

Extreme Veteran
I'll post the revision tomorrow with plenty of colors for ya, Kim! Thanks for the feedback, though...I tend to do too much second-guessing and maybe my disdain for the bike had me shortchanging it a little. Wink

bzgl40 - 2011-01-10 9:04 PM Like I said, better with colours.    I think if you get about 3 double digit runs and then a few of those longer ones you'll be just fine. 

roadrhino - 2011-01-10 7:58 PM Perfect...30 minute rides are now scrapped! I'll increase the long rides as soon as the HM is out of the way and try to get the intermediate rides upwards of an hour +.

2011-01-11 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I cant wait to see the revision. All the replys look good .For some reason I cant view the file.
2011-01-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3291950

User image

Payson, AZ
Newtons1st - 2011-01-11 7:21 AM I cant wait to see the revision. All the replys look good .For some reason I cant view the file.

I had to beg my computer to open it.  Violate all kinds of rules I never do just to open it.  Talk about a lot of trust. 

Is it lame that I am going to go run on the treadmill this morning cause I just don't want to go through all the crap I need to go through to go run outside when on call?  At least this will keep me on flat and at an easy pace and probably prevent me from hurting myself more.  Just waiting for a podcast to download and off I go (for sure getting cable internet at the new place.  DSL sucks).

2011-01-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3292012

Extreme Veteran
Oops...didn't know I was being so scandalous. Thanks for the trust, Kim. Smile

Actually, I didn't have a copy of it on my computer at home, so I had to download and save it from a post I made elsewhere...that might be part of the problem.

Working on the revision, now, so hopefully the new version will be more spectator friendly. Wink

bzgl40 - 2011-01-11 8:35 AM
Newtons1st - 2011-01-11 7:21 AM I cant wait to see the revision. All the replys look good .For some reason I cant view the file.

I had to beg my computer to open it.  Violate all kinds of rules I never do just to open it.  Talk about a lot of trust. 

Is it lame that I am going to go run on the treadmill this morning cause I just don't want to go through all the crap I need to go through to go run outside when on call?  At least this will keep me on flat and at an easy pace and probably prevent me from hurting myself more.  Just waiting for a podcast to download and off I go (for sure getting cable internet at the new place.  DSL sucks).
2011-01-11 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello to everyone.  Just thought I would pop in and say hi.  It has been awhile.  I see everyone is doing good...and willing to help Tif kill me in the training.  Just kidding.  I am excited about the HIM training and glad we are committed to getting more longer rides in this year.  The hardest part is the extra hour a day we have a school this year...which means the training keeps us up later at night.  It will take some adjusting for sure.

I did get on the bike for the first time in a long time yesterday and the legs were not liking it at first...but I got into a groove and was pleased with the results.  Looking forward to getting out and riding instead of having to be on the trainer.
2011-01-11 11:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ok, here is the revised/color version based on feedback from the group... if there's anything still lacking, please let me know. Thanks, as always!

Attachments
----------------
Half Ironman Plan 2011_rev_color.docx (42KB - 14 downloads)
2011-01-11 12:02 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I think it looks better Tiff (and not just cause of the extra colours, although that is clearly a factor).  If you get bored on your strength training days I'd throw in an extra easy ride just for giggles.   You can never get too many rides in. 

As an aside, you sure you want to run 10miles the week before your HM?  Personally I'd max out at 8ish.  I would do a 10+ miler the weekend before that though.  BUT, if your already following a plan on that and that is what it says then ignore me. 

Edited by bzgl40 2011-01-11 12:05 PM
2011-01-11 12:03 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
For those who are wondering, I will NOT be doing the Mt Lemmon marathon this year.    I will however probably do the Tour de Tucson instead, which is 109 mile bike ride (they have shorter rides).  So nothing insane on my schedule yet.  Stay tuned though, plenty of time to find something crazy....

2011-01-11 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3292593

User image

Veteran
bzgl40 - 2011-01-11 12:03 PM For those who are wondering, I will NOT be doing the Mt Lemmon marathon this year.    I will however probably do the Tour de Tucson instead, which is 109 mile bike ride (they have shorter rides).  So nothing insane on my schedule yet.  Stay tuned though, plenty of time to find something crazy....

The Tour de Tucson sounds fun!  I am sure you will find something wild to do this year Laughing
2011-01-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3283356

Veteran
back of the pack
[
Only if you send me some steelhead fillets.....

PM me an address and I'll see if I can get a little Recovery package out to you....

The metal has eluded me this year... B.C. Steel are far and few between, I have refused to use gear on them until I Land one on the fly. Much more gratiflying. The icefishing has been off the charts this season so far.
2011-01-11 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Tiff,

I'm far from an expert but here are few general thoughts in regards to HIM training. These items worked for me, and a lot of them are based on information that I received from other triathletes that are much more experienced.

- The distances that you swim, bike, and run do not have to be extraodinary, the main thing is to be consistant with your training. It is much better to run a shorter distance 3 times a week and stay consistant and healthy, than to run too far and need a longer recovery time or worse, get hurt. Stay healthy and consistant.
-The best way to improve your run is to improve your bike first. Last year going into my HIM I rode three time a week, all outside and dealt with the wind and cold over the winter. During the week my 2 rides were any where from 20 to 25 miles. These rides were short but intense. My long Saturday rides were between 40 and 60 miles. I think I missed 3 rides between Jan and April, and a lot of those rides were harder mentally than physically, but once again consistancy is the key. My approach was simple one ride very hard and short, one easy, and the long ride slightly harder than race pace.
-Running was my weakness and I had to limit my running in order to stay healthy. I ran enough to be ready for the distance but my main goal was to be healthy at the start. Normal runs were between 3-8 miles with 2 at 10 miles and one at 12.5 miles. During training I had some knee pain, but I tried to be as consistant as possible.
-As you already know a big part of HIM training is mental. You can train yourself to be mentally tough. Running when it's raining and cold, riding when it is windy, swimming before work, all of these things will go a long way in developing your mental toughness.
-Have a race plan, but plan for the unexpected. What will you do if you have a bad swim? What will you do if you have a flat? Worry about the things you can control, and accept the things and situations that you can not. Your success will have more to do with your training and consistancy, than the weather on race day.
-In regards to nutrition, practice your nutrition, and in most cases less is more. I would rather consume a bit less, rather than consume too much and have a GI issue.

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot and please forgive my grammar..... my kids are bugging me for snacks.

Have a great race and just remember I really don't know what I'm talking about

Edited by Houstonrider 2011-01-11 3:26 PM
2011-01-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3293109

User image

Payson, AZ
Houstonrider - 2011-01-11 2:23 PM Tiff,

I'm far from an expert but here are few general thoughts in regards to HIM training. These items worked for me, and a lot of them are based on information that I received from other triathletes that are much more experienced.

- The distances that you swim, bike, and run do not have to be extraodinary, the main thing is to be consistant with your training. It is much better to run a shorter distance 3 times a week and stay consistant and healthy, than to run too far and need a longer recovery time or worse, get hurt. Stay healthy and consistant.
-The best way to improve your run is to improve your bike first. Last year going into my HIM I rode three time a week, all outside and dealt with the wind and cold over the winter. During the week my 2 rides were any where from 20 to 25 miles. These rides were short but intense. My long Saturday rides were between 40 and 60 miles. I think I missed 3 rides between Jan and April, and a lot of those rides were harder mentally than physically, but once again consistancy is the key. My approach was simple one ride very hard and short, one easy, and the long ride slightly harder than race pace.
-Running was my weakness and I had to limit my running in order to stay healthy. I ran enough to be ready for the distance but my main goal was to be healthy at the start. Normal runs were between 3-8 miles with 2 at 10 miles and one at 12.5 miles. During training I had some knee pain, but I tried to be as consistant as possible.
-As you already know a big part of HIM training is mental. You can train yourself to be mentally tough. Running when it's raining and cold, riding when it is windy, swimming before work, all of these things will go a long way in developing your mental toughness.
-Have a race plan, but plan for the unexpected. What will you do if you have a bad swim? What will you do if you have a flat? Worry about the things you can control, and accept the things and situations that you can not. Your success will have more to do with your training and consistancy, than the weather on race day.
-In regards to nutrition, practice your nutrition, and in most cases less is more. I would rather consume a bit less, rather than consume too much and have a GI issue.

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot and please forgive my grammar..... my kids are bugging me for snacks.

Have a great race and just remember I really don't know what I'm talking about

He also got hit twice while training so you know...    Feed them chocolate, that's what I would do.  A perfect snack.  Everything you said was dead on in my opinion
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220