BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-18 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3307434

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
bluwatersoul - 2011-01-18 5:10 PM
cggale - 2011-01-18 5:59 PM
crews - 2011-01-18 4:09 PM Hi fellow Mad Manatees.  Hope everyone is well.  I've hopped off of the lazy train I've been riding for a week!!

Saw this today and had to share:

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the less you have left the faster it rolls.

Ha ha, nice quote.

In regards to running with music.   I might be in the minority here, but I love listening to my music while I exercise.   There's something about hearing that "one" song that gets you moving a little faster, or gets you motivated to go on when you think you can't.  I completely agree that you have to be responsible when you do choose to workout with music.  For me I run with the volume low so that I'm aware of my surroundings.  When I'm on the treadmill though....crank it up!

I run with music too, its probably the only reason why I look forward to (and make it through) alot of runs.  Love it.  I just got a swimp3 and cant wait to play with that esp when I start doing longer swims on a regular basis..

Yah, I gotta admit... I'm a music girl too when running. But I can definately hear what's going on around me when outside.  NEVER on the bike tho.

2011-01-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3307832

User image

Master
kalico123 - 2011-01-18 10:00 PM
bluwatersoul - 2011-01-18 5:10 PM
cggale - 2011-01-18 5:59 PM
crews - 2011-01-18 4:09 PM Hi fellow Mad Manatees.  Hope everyone is well.  I've hopped off of the lazy train I've been riding for a week!!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the less you have left the faster it rolls.

Ha ha, nice quote.

In regards to running with music.   I might be in the minority here, but I love listening to my music while I exercise.   There's something about hearing that "one" song that gets you moving a little faster, or gets you motivated to go on when you think you can't.  I completely agree that you have to be responsible when you do choose to workout with music.  For me I run with the volume low so that I'm aware of my surroundings.  When I'm on the treadmill though....crank it up!

I run with music too, its probably the only reason why I look forward to (and make it through) alot of runs.  Love it.  I just got a swimp3 and cant wait to play with that esp when I start doing longer swims on a regular basis..

Yah, I gotta admit... I'm a music girl too when running. But I can definately hear what's going on around me when outside.  NEVER on the bike tho.

I do love my music while running.  I'm on a trail that has little traffic and I stay way right, so I'm not in anyone's way.  Can't do the tunes on the bike, either.  Our trail system is wonderful, but there are some roads involved.  Speaking of tunes, I lost all of the music on my iPod a few months ago, so I'm open for suggestions on songs to add.  I'm only up to 1.5 hours of music so I need tons more.  I'm about to bite the bullet and sign up for a half mary in March, so there are many hours of running in my near future (I'm way slow).
2011-01-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Altrincham
The triathlon I've been aiming at has been cancelled  Cry. There aren't any others in reaching distance before my cutoff date. Ah well, at least it was pulled over 12 weeks before and not 3 weeks before.

I messaged the organiser on facebook and he said that the local authority, contrary to earlier discussions, decided that they now wanted complete road closures, pushing it well over budget.

So I'll have to have a rethink. It was nice to have something to aim at though...
2011-01-19 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3308896

User image

Veteran
Austin
Galwegian - 2011-01-19 11:27 AM The triathlon I've been aiming at has been cancelled  Cry. There aren't any others in reaching distance before my cutoff date. Ah well, at least it was pulled over 12 weeks before and not 3 weeks before.

I messaged the organiser on facebook and he said that the local authority, contrary to earlier discussions, decided that they now wanted complete road closures, pushing it well over budget.

So I'll have to have a rethink. It was nice to have something to aim at though...

bummer - hope something else turns up that works well! 
2011-01-19 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3307417

User image

Expert
Cambridge
cggale - 2011-01-18 11:59 PM

Ha ha, nice quote.

Nah its definately the majority that like the music, I do too, but I know how dangerous it can be to keep my music on, its the same when I drive.... your spatial awareness plummets.  
2011-01-19 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Galwegian - 2011-01-19 11:27 AM The triathlon I've been aiming at has been cancelled  Cry. There aren't any others in reaching distance before my cutoff date. Ah well, at least it was pulled over 12 weeks before and not 3 weeks before.

That sucks!  Do you live in a place where you can still do a triathlon, with out all the hoopla?  I mean swim in the water, bike and run on the side of the street.  Create your own tri.

2011-01-19 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Woohoo, UPS just dropped off my TENS unit!  Just in time too.  I blew up my calves yesterday and I'm having a hard time recovering 'em.
2011-01-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3309779

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
SteveyD - 2011-01-19 5:26 PM

Ha ha, nice quote.

Nah its definately the majority that like the music, I do too, but I know how dangerous it can be to keep my music on, its the same when I drive.... your spatial awareness plummets.  

Sorry for the hijack.

I'm like this if I have a cell phone and am driving.  It's very difficult to talk on a cell phone and drive...for me.  I get distracted easily, so I don't chat on the phone and drive.  Hard to believe that people can talk on the phone, text, apply makeup, and other distracting stuff while driving.  Heh, I once saw a lady reading a book while driving.  Must have been a good book.      

Edited by cggale 2011-01-19 6:54 PM
2011-01-19 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I'm among those that listen to music when I run, however I must say that one of the best sounds I've ever heard is in a half marathon while the pack was running. No music, no crowd, no one was talking, just the clap,clap, clap of running shoes on the pavement. It was its own music in a way, very beautiful. That was one of the times I started falling in love with running.

I also ride and listen to podcasts (interviews and the like) while I ride, but I can hear the traffic. My ipod nano fell today and the screen was cracked on the pavement. Had to stop my bike and go out in the road (thankfully not busy) and retrieve it. Thinking it was probably trashed, I half-heartedly put the headphones into the jack, the screen was still lit and then I hit the play button and voila'  sound came through the headphones. It takes a licking and keeps on kicking. But maybe it was a sign that I shouldn't have my headphones in while on the bike. Hmmmm.

2011-01-19 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
I won't ride with headphones - check your local / state laws and don't be surprised if it is illegal - for good reasons.  BTW - my family owns a funeral home in the midwest so I might have a different perspective.

Running - little better and OK, but stay safe.  Be aware of where you are running and keep in mind that cars are not the only thing you need to listen for.  I run on a paved tral along the river and there are some less fortunate around, so I want to hear someone coming up behind me (and I'm kind of a big guy).   When I'm running at the lake, I can get several miles out and feel safer (not in mountains, so no bears, cougars, or mountain lions), so I'll sometimes use music then.

Swimming - go for it (especially in a pool).  As posted earlier, music is nice and the right time helps with tempo training.

To all the comments on distracted driving .  Love ya.  We outlawed texting in CO, so now I have to work on my PC driving to work in the AM.  Smile KIDDING (mostly).  I saw a cop on her cell texting at a light and when she noticed that I noticed, she made a funny face, shrugged her shoulders, mouthed "sorry" and put it away.  Worst I do is shave (cordless shaver)while eating my breakfast sandwich and drinking my coffee.

All that said - be safe.

Last bit of advice:  5 tips for good relationships:  1)  you need somone who will help around the house and has a job 2)  you need someone who will make you laugh 3)  you need someone who you can count on and won't lie to you 4)  you need someone who will love you and spoil you every chance they get; and the most important 5)  it is VERY important that these 4 people don't know each other.

2011-01-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3306785

User image

Melon Presser
crystalashworth - 2011-01-19 2:32 AM Man - I don't think I'm going to have time to go back and catch up on all the great posting that's been going on over the past week - would probably take me quite awhile.

This last week was a total bust - work was kicking my butt and totally draining me of any energy I had left so I was collapsing into bed immediately after tuck in of my 5 kiddos.  Then Friday I came down with a cold and it blew my whole weekend.  Today I'm finally feeling good enough to attempt 'something' - just not sure what it should be.

I feel like I go strong for a week, and then am down for a week for one reason or another - so that when I pick back up again the following week, it's like starting over.  I just need to get over the hump and make it two full weeks in a row.  I have 2 months to my first Tri, and I really need to get my butt in gear.

what? illness and five children? that is NO excuse for missing training

good grief, give yourself a break. you are doing awesome!

As far as training goes ... do what you can, when you can. First tri is for fun and finishing, anyway. Sure, it's nice to be prepared ... but you will be just fine. Remember also if you've had a week off to take it easy the first few workouts back ... don't try to make up for lost time.

2011-01-20 9:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Galwegian - 2011-01-20 12:27 AM The triathlon I've been aiming at has been cancelled  Cry. There aren't any others in reaching distance before my cutoff date. Ah well, at least it was pulled over 12 weeks before and not 3 weeks before.

Oh no!

Perhaps there are some running or cycling races you could work towards?
2011-01-20 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3310223

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
mackjenn - 2011-01-19 10:21 PM I won't ride with headphones - check your local / state laws and don't be surprised if it is illegal - for good reasons.  BTW - my family owns a funeral home in the midwest so I might have a different perspective.

Running - little better and OK, but stay safe.  Be aware of where you are running and keep in mind that cars are not the only thing you need to listen for.  I run on a paved tral along the river and there are some less fortunate around, so I want to hear someone coming up behind me (and I'm kind of a big guy).   When I'm running at the lake, I can get several miles out and feel safer (not in mountains, so no bears, cougars, or mountain lions), so I'll sometimes use music then.

Swimming - go for it (especially in a pool).  As posted earlier, music is nice and the right time helps with tempo training.

To all the comments on distracted driving .  Love ya.  We outlawed texting in CO, so now I have to work on my PC driving to work in the AM.  Smile KIDDING (mostly).  I saw a cop on her cell texting at a light and when she noticed that I noticed, she made a funny face, shrugged her shoulders, mouthed "sorry" and put it away.  Worst I do is shave (cordless shaver)while eating my breakfast sandwich and drinking my coffee.

All that said - be safe.

Last bit of advice:  5 tips for good relationships:  1)  you need somone who will help around the house and has a job 2)  you need someone who will make you laugh 3)  you need someone who you can count on and won't lie to you 4)  you need someone who will love you and spoil you every chance they get; and the most important 5)  it is VERY important that these 4 people don't know each other.

muuuuhhhhhaaaaaahhhh!!!

Swimming with music, maybe that'll help me RELAX!  I tried that tempo trainer while swimming and all that did was confuse me. 
2011-01-20 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
12.6% on the BF Scale this morning.  I took it and ran.  No second weigh in.  I don't care if it was a computer glitch.  I'm counting it.  3.6% to ab-riffic.
2011-01-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3309897

User image

Expert
Cambridge
cggale - 2011-01-20 12:53 AM
SteveyD - 2011-01-19 5:26 PM

Ha ha, nice quote.

Sorry for the hijack.

I'm like this if I have a cell phone and am driving.  It's very difficult to talk on a cell phone and drive...for me.  I get distracted easily, so I don't chat on the phone and drive.  Hard to believe that people can talk on the phone, text, apply makeup, and other distracting stuff while driving.  Heh, I once saw a lady reading a book while driving.  Must have been a good book.      

An incredibly illegal/socially unacceptable in the UK.
Instant points on license if you get caught driving on your phone... 
2011-01-21 6:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
TGIF Manatees! Whew, this winter is taking alot out of me. Snow snow snow and ccccccold....OK, it IS winter after all. But where is the sun? w/o the sun its even more difficult to wake up and stay up, and I have no "oomph" whatsoever. It is taking me longer to recover from whatever workouts I complete.  The days are soooooo short...And its only mid January!

The weight is not budging yet either. ::::le sigh:::::: I understand why people make resolutions and often quit around this time of year - at leats in this part of the country - its quite frustrating.

Anyone have plans for the weekend? I have a kiddie party tomorrow, hoorayYell 

2011-01-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3312768

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

bluwatersoul - 2011-01-21 5:23 AM TGIF Manatees! Whew, this winter is taking alot out of me. Snow snow snow and ccccccold....OK, it IS winter after all. But where is the sun? w/o the sun its even more difficult to wake up and stay up, and I have no "oomph" whatsoever. It is taking me longer to recover from whatever workouts I complete.  The days are soooooo short...And its only mid January!

The weight is not budging yet either. ::::le sigh:::::: I understand why people make resolutions and often quit around this time of year - at leats in this part of the country - its quite frustrating.

Yep - going to festival fridays tonight to hear a favorite local band.  Then long ride tomorrow as well as a Tri clinic at a local bike shop in the Springs (will also go to work while I'm thereFrown.  Long run Sunday as well as cleaning the house / laundry.  Going to try to make it a relaxing weekend - might do a movie sometime if there is anything interesting.

2011-01-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3312768

User image

Veteran
bluwatersoul - 2011-01-21 5:23 AM TGIF Manatees! Whew, this winter is taking alot out of me. Snow snow snow and ccccccold....OK, it IS winter after all. But where is the sun? w/o the sun its even more difficult to wake up and stay up, and I have no "oomph" whatsoever. It is taking me longer to recover from whatever workouts I complete.  The days are soooooo short...And its only mid January!

I'm with ya! TGIF!!! AND enough of the Snow and Cold!!! It was -46 yesterday! BRRRR! (-7C this morning.... SO MUCH better!!)  Today is the last day of the semester and finals start this afternoon... so my weekend is a bit of training and a LOT of work! Have fun at your kiddie party!! I would gladly trade you!

My weight is not doing much either .... anybody interested in some sort of MAAAAD manatee weight challenge???
2011-01-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3312925

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
kalico123 - 2011-01-21 7:02 AM
bluwatersoul - .... anybody interested in some sort of MAAAAD manatee weight challenge???

I'm in for this.  Want to drop another ~10 lbs by end of Feb.  Hopeful my % body fat will go with it, but we will see.
2011-01-21 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3313316

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
mackjenn - 2011-01-21 9:30 AM
bluwatersoul - .... anybody interested in some sort of MAAAAD manatee weight challenge???

I'm in for this.  Want to drop another ~10 lbs by end of Feb.  Hopeful my % body fat will go with it, but we will see.

I'm in for a weight challenge as well - I want to be down 10 pounds by my tri - 03/20/11.  With my pie in the sky wish to be down 15 pounds. 
2011-01-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3313345

User image

Veteran
Austin
crystalashworth - 2011-01-21 10:45 AM

I'm in for a weight challenge as well - I want to be down 10 pounds by my tri - 03/20/11.  With my pie in the sky wish to be down 15 pounds. 

I'm in for the weight challenge too!  I have my first swim lesson scheduled for tomorrow morning - hoping it goes well.   

2011-01-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3313618

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
lounav - 2011-01-21 12:13 PM

I'm in for the weight challenge too!  I have my first swim lesson scheduled for tomorrow morning - hoping it goes well.   

I'm in too
2011-01-21 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3313639

User image

Expert
Cambridge
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-21 6:21 PM
lounav - 2011-01-21 12:13 PM

I'm in too

I'm in!
2011-01-21 5:29 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Blech. I hate the phrase 'weight loss' but that's just my personal pet peeve

Truth is, I'd like to be in on the challenge too. I'm still slim now but have flabbed out because, well, shoot, I haven't 'really' trained since ... September.

Also, I think I said one of my goals--which for me is actually easier with a reduced training load--is to get to an optimal RACING weight, not just to be slim and look good.

So. All that blather was to say I'm in for the Mad Manatee HEALTH BUILDING challenge. Let's see who else is in and then we can actually put a structure to it.
2011-01-21 5:33 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Oh, and lest anyone think they have to publicly post numbers ... you don't.

For one thing, you don't necessarily have to go by weight loss; I did a weight loss challenge once using centimeters lost from three key measurements.

So that's an option.

Also, you can always post a beginning weight/size as X and then say you want to lose 10 lbs or 3 inches or whatever, and we'll quantify by percentage of goal achieved so you never actually have to post discrete numbers of where you're at.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38