BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-18 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3996531

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

suzielea - 2012-01-18 4:53 AM Hilde - thanks. I may ask at the gym or LSS about that - the hair is definitely becoming more of an issue though.

Try looking for a silicone swim cap.  Slides over the hair a bit easier than latex.  They are more expensive.  

Might also try a lycra or nylon swim cap.  Fabric so might be more comfortable.

2012-01-18 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3996531

User image

Extreme Veteran

suzielea - 2012-01-18 3:53 AM Hilde - thanks. I may ask at the gym or LSS about that - the hair is definitely becoming more of an issue though.

Speedo also makes a "long hair" swim cap (silicone). It has a little extra room in the back for tucking hair in:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Silicone-Long-Hair-Black/dp/B000F6E2JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326895750&sr=8-1

2012-01-18 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Expert
Missouri

I have a silicone swim cap also.  The 2 latex ones that I got from tri's are so tight I can barely get them on my head but the silicone one fits really well.  It was a little more expensive but so far it's lasted me for 3+ years (of course, I don't swim that much so take that for what it's worthSmile). 

So DH has been asking me about my tri in May.  I guess he saw the confirmation email that I got after I registered.  It wasn't that I was keeping the race from him but he's not usually that interested so I just hadn't mentioned it yet.  He asked if I was going to take DD along since she's going to school there next year and what I'm going to do about the swim since I haven't been to the pool in months.  Not sure if he's really interested or is just miffed that I spent the money considering our financial situation right now (I signed up early to get the discount but it was still a little bit expensive).  I'm cutting back on the number of races that I'll do this year - doing a lot of volunteering instead - and only doing nearby ones, and this is the most expensive one all year.  I guess we'll just have to talk it out.  I can't give up racing entirely - I enjoy it too much.

2012-01-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3997134

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I hear ya J2 on the cost of races... they DO add up.  I like to do a lot of them during the summer, keeps me motivated to keep training, but if money becomes an issue, I'll have to cut back too.  I don't do the Austin races mainly because they are so expensive.  The smaller ones are cheaper, AND you have more chance at making the podium with a small field!
2012-01-18 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Suzie- I'd second trying out the long-haired caps to get a little extra room.  I find a cap a must-have for comfort while swimming.  Plus, you have to wear them if you do a tri, so might as well get use to it!

I had my parents-in-law, brother-in-law (his wife, and two kiddos) in town for the past 10 days.  It was wonderful having them here, but I am exhausted from all the cleaning/shopping/cooking/entertaining!  I'm also finally tapering and nervously awaiting my first half-marathon in a week and a half- if anyone has any advice to throw out, I'm open to it!

2012-01-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3997636

User image

Regular
Just be confident! You've got the mileage behind you so that part is good to go. Just take it easy at the start and don't "burn" yourself out in the first 3-5 mileage because you feel good. My motto is steady as he goes. If they offer something on the course to eat or drink-do so if you feel like it. If you are not hungry or thristy, don't. And most importantly "HAVE FUN"!!

2012-01-18 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3997885

User image

Extreme Veteran
^ What he said! And don't do anything different on race day; use the same hydration/nutrition/gear that you used on your long runs. As for nerves, look back on your training to remind yourself that the miles are in the bank. Then on race day, talk to the other racers, make a new friend- it takes your mind off how nervous you are. During the race, remember to look around, wave at your fans, thank the volunteers, wish the other runners good luck, etc. You'll have so much fun!
2012-01-18 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

louise, you're going to do great!  definitely start off with a slow/comfortable pace.  you can always pick it up at the end if you have anything left in the tank. 

also, make sure you don't wait the last minute to pee.  those port o potty lines can be LONG!  i waited until 15 minutes before the race started (i think i have a nervous bladder or something, sorry TMI!) and barely made it to the start line before the gun went off Tongue out

2012-01-18 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3992581

User image

Expert
tstl - 2012-01-16 8:49 AM

Brad, I disagree. It's not the last LINE that's all Alex, it's the whole damn thing!

And Kristen, I am the queen of the long TM runs. I was dumb enough to sign up for a fall marathon, which meant running through a Phoenix summer (!), so I did my 18 miler and half of my 20 miler on the TM! It wasn't so bad; you get yourself into kindof a zen state and watch multiple movies, and before you know it, it's done! It was also a lot less wear and tear on my legs- recovery from those runs was so much quicker! I have to get in a 'TM state of mind' in the summer, though- right now, you couldn't pay me to get near the thing!

Awww, you're adorable, Turtle! (And definitely the undisputed queen of long TM running!) Thanks, Brad-- I copied the image and will print it out and put it in my training area! It's fabulous!

2012-01-18 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

SwimOutlet it is then - thanks for the info!  

Regarding swim caps - I have found that a little bit of baby powder goes a long way in making it go on easier. I have moderately long hair and have no trouble tucking it into a normal (read: cheap-o free ones from the races) swim cap. Haven't tried any of the other types though, so I have no comparison. 

2012-01-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3997885

User image

Expert
Falls Church

joes - 2012-01-18 2:54 PM Just be confident! You've got the mileage behind you so that part is good to go. Just take it easy at the start and don't "burn" yourself out in the first 3-5 mileage because you feel good. My motto is steady as he goes. If they offer something on the course to eat or drink-do so if you feel like it. If you are not hungry or thristy, don't. And most importantly "HAVE FUN"!!

x2 on this!

2012-01-18 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3998029

User image

Expert
Falls Church
kpringle - 2012-01-18 3:57 PM

also, make sure you don't wait the last minute to pee.  those port o potty lines can be LONG!  i waited until 15 minutes before the race started (i think i have a nervous bladder or something, sorry TMI!) and barely made it to the start line before the gun went off Tongue out

Yep.  Get in line when you get to the race.  When you're done, get in line again.  I go as many times as possible!

2012-01-18 6:08 PM

User image

Expert

Louise, everyone has pretty much covered any advice I'd have-- I just want to second Joe's point about HAVING FUN!! That's why we're all involved in this audacious sport, isn't it??

Thanks for the tips on swimoutlet.com, everyone-- just noticed that my current suit (a double-layered Lycra one from TYR) is starting to get that about-to-be-worn-out look, so I'll definitely swing by there and pick up some suits-- it's criminal how much some stores charge for them!

x2 on a silicone cap, too, by the way-- the only kind that both stays on and doesn't rip my hair out (and I have short hair, so it should be harder to tear out, but not with cheap caps!). The fact that our indomitable Hilde is COMPLETELY colour-coordinated comes as no surprise to me: a streak of black-and-lime-green lightning, she is!

Congrats on the new job, Janet-- and I absolutely sympathize about the trickiness of fitting rehearsals into a busy life: I've just got cast in a production of DOUBT in Chicago, so somehow I'll have to start fitting rehearsals into my evenings and weekends starting in late February... It's all worth it, though, right?

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Alex

2012-01-18 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3997368

User image

Expert
Falls Church

hildekq - 2012-01-18 11:56 AM I hear ya J2 on the cost of races... they DO add up.  I like to do a lot of them during the summer, keeps me motivated to keep training, but if money becomes an issue, I'll have to cut back too.  I don't do the Austin races mainly because they are so expensive.  The smaller ones are cheaper, AND you have more chance at making the podium with a small field!

Cost of races:  Amazing how race fees have crept up.  I was planning on doing the Rock-n-Roll half marathon here in DC on March 17.  Went to register and balked at the registration fee ($110).  And that is for a running race!  Instead I'm doing a 5 mile trail race two weeks earlier for less than half the price.  The route will be prettier and post-race food better.  First time I balked at a race price.

2012-01-18 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL

Hi all!  Haven't posted much over here lately, but wanted everyone to know I'm still around (even though I've been a lazy slug for the past 3 days - haha). 

Janet - Congrats on the new job!

Tammy - Awesome job on the HM.  Glad the ankle is doing ok.  Can't believe you've got another one next month.  You are a glutten for punishment.

I totally agree about the cost of races ... I've noticed that tris are way more expensive than running races.  And the food isn't usually as good either.  Sigh.  If I'm gonna register for the HIM, I've got to do it soon or the price will go up.  Hmmm  Feeling a little wary about doing it.  Seems like my training is lagging somewhat.   Still undecided. 

Brad - loved the poster. 

Where's Wilson lately?

2012-01-19 1:53 AM
in reply to: #3996664

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the swim cap tips everyone - I just did a google search and found another thing that probably contributed to what was happening with the one I used in the swim meet - they work better (go on better) when wet and the one I ended up with was getting put on dry + it also says to not use a ponytail underneath but just essentially shoving your hair under it instead.

Janet - hope the tri questions from DH is for good reasons. I'd recomment taking DD with you so she can check out the school too.

Louise - have fun with the taper.

Everyone else - keep plugging along

2012-01-19 4:22 AM
in reply to: #3998821

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well, our resident Daddy-in-waiting, (aka Shawn aka Sulcus) is waiting no longer.... hope on over to his log for full details, and I really didn't want to steal his thunder, but our future MMMer is HERE!  Guess he's been too busy being a new Dad to shout out the news!
2012-01-19 5:01 AM
in reply to: #3998846

Extreme Veteran

Here's the baby triathlon equipment range:

along with the requisite swimsuit and swim nappies if needed - I've noticed a lot of boy babies tend to just wear the swim nappies as normal bathers while the girls wear them under a normal swimsuit

http://weeride.com.au/Product_detail.php?product=19 - actual pic keeps screwing up the rest of the post plus it's worth looking at the actual proper product info on the site as this is a centre mounted seat rather than a back mounted seat

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OWjvSMlGL._SL160_.jpg

Ok I know this is pretty much the top top jogging stroller but given it has "ironman" in the name it fits with the triathlon idea - might as well start them off with high expectations right?

Oh and I'll excuse you for not catching up on the friends stuff given the situation. I wanted to see "all the details" but as I'm not on your list I can't access your log.  

2012-01-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3996230

User image

Veteran
erinrockrun - 2012-01-17 9:29 PM

Andrea, I am really impressed with your indoor tri!  Those are some outstanding numbers.  I'm pretty envious of your super swimmer skills!  Is it a series of indoor tris through the winter or was it a single event?

This indoor tri is not a series.  It is offered in a few places in the country and is a fundraiser for Epilepsy.  http://www.tritohelp.org

There are others in my area that are series, but they are further away from me.  I've sent in an entry form for one in Feb., but it's a lottery entry, so I won't know for a while if I got a spot.  That one is 20min swim, 20min bike, 20min run on an indoor track. 

2012-01-19 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I have one of the long hair swim caps, and it works well for my VERY long, VERY thick hair.  I usually keep my hair in a low braid, and that makes it much easier to tuck up into the cap (for reference, my hair is nearly down to my waist, and the last time it was about this long, I donated it.  13 inches cut off to just about my shoulders, and the ponytail they cut off was about 3/4 inch diameter).
2012-01-19 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3999470

Extreme Veteran

Andrea - Looks interesting

Jen - glad to hear the caps work. Who do you donate the hair to?

2012-01-19 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

OK, I've drunk the Kool-ade. After hearing all about the Speedo Endurance suits, I scooted right on over to SwimOutlet. I thought I had been swimming in one already; my first few disintegrated after a few months, so I upgraded to one that is so far holding up better, but it's the Xtra Life Lycra. I took a chance and ordered one that didn't even have a photo up yet, and look what I got: pure awesomeness!

I guess when you dress like this, you don't have to worry about color-coordinating anything!

2012-01-19 11:55 PM
in reply to: #4000545

Extreme Veteran

Tammy turtle - Love the swimsuit - very psychadelic. Are you sure the old ones were speedo? I haven't had any issues with any of my speedo stuff and I've had the black one since probably late 09 or early 10

Oh and I must be becoming a swimmer I finally lost count of my laps today :D - I knew it was an odd lap (I know finishing in deep = odd and shallow = even) but I couldn't work out whether it was lap 3 or 5 so I finished the return (to shallow which is actually when I lost track) and called it 100 although for all I know I may have done 2x150 rather than 1x100 1x150

2012-01-20 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Tammy/turtle - love the suit!

I'm planning to get back in the pool tomorrow morningSmile.  I hope I can remember how to not sink, lol!  I've never been a strong swimmer but can usually get through a decent workout.

Bike question - not really bike, but bike accessory I guess.  My hands (palms mostly) get really sore when riding.  I move them around as much as possible but it doesn't really help.  I know the big problem is that I put a lot of my weight on my hands/wrists due to really weak core muscles - working on thatSmile - but would wearing gloves help out for now or is this just something I need to get used to, like my butt getting used to the saddle?  My trainer ride went pretty well last night except for the soreness in my hands.  Anyone here use gloves and would I look silly wearing them on the trainer?

Janet2

2012-01-20 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I use gloves all the time (horrible carpal tunnel requires it), even on the trainer.  As for looking silly....If you're on the trainer at home, who cares?  Tongue out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61