BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-26 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
Pretty quiet around here this morning. I hope that means everyone is out training!

I hit the spin bike for an 80min ride. It is too cold to be outside this morning.

In an effort to lose weight, I've been tracking my calorie intake for several months. One thing I've noticed is that I'm rarely eating enough protein (as defined by the Sparkpeople program). I generally eat about 100g a day, but sometimes much less (like 40g). I've done a lot of reading and think that given my size and the intensity of my training, I should probably be consuming about 150-165g of protein a day. I simply can't eat that much! It has already become a joke in our house that triathlon is gonna send us to the poor house, not because of the gear and such, but because of the food bills (and I still losing weight!). Does anyone use protein powders or shakes? If so, do you think they help? What brand(s) do you use/like?

Thanks all! I'm off to make ancient Egyptian board games for my class to play while I'm in Egypt next week. Have a great weekend!

2013-01-26 3:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-26 4:50 PM

Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Hi Everyone.  Crazy busy with work and family stuff ever since the holidays ended.  I've enjoyed reading the recent discussions here and have learned a lot.  I can see how being a triathlete is truly a lifestyle.  I had a few newbie questions I would like get advice on.

My open water class was rescheduled so I wanted to ask for tips on sighting so I can begin practicing.   I train in our outdoor pool but plan on dedicating some swim sessions at a local lake. I've heard about following feet or using a landmark. I also got some tips on how to adjust your stroke every so often to take a peek on your direction.

I current use just water/gu/clif bloks for my bike rides. For longer bike rides, what kind of hydration mixtures work well ? I know a few guys that use either carbo pro or cytomax. Also, what about actual food versus gu?

I've drastically cut my strength training after phasing out of crossfit/lifting to tri training a few months back. Is some light strength/core training absolutely necessary? My first sprint tri's are in March so dedicating most of my time in swim and riding while maintaining my run fitness. I am not really following a specific sprint program.  After that, I do plan to start a specific structured program specifically for an oly tri in late May. Would it be a good idea to incorporate some strength training at that point ?

Looking back at your first year of tri training, what are some of the things you would do differently now if you were starting out ?  Sorry for so many questions, it's sometimes hard just to find time to post...but all 4 kids out of the house for a few more minutes  =)

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the weekend !

2013-01-26 6:40 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

There are mixed opinions on strength training in tri training.  I like it, and feel some strength training can be beneficial if you have the time to do it.  However, most of us barely fit into out agendas the training volume we want/ need for racing at our best.  It can help you if you have an injury rehab to compensate.....However, not everyone feels that it's necessary or beneficial.  

There are some people who primarily do workouts like the crossfit to train for triathlon.  I'm not sure that they are sound, but that "camp" seems to swear by it  

Nutrition is a funny thing for training.  What works best for some people sits like a rock on someone else's belly.  Sprints will be fine on water/ gu.  Oly's are pretty good on that as well, perhaps some electrolytes on the bike.  Longer races need more preparation for nutrition. That comes mostly through trial and error in training days.  Some people can handle real food in small amounts like a half a peanut butter sandwich while others want fig newtons or break up cliff bars prior to the race to nibble on as needed.  Even with practicing the plan in training, it can sit wrong on race day.  That's why it's so important to know your tolerance.  Try a Plan B approach.  I think a few race reports I've seen talk about how ""XXXX didn't work and I had to wait, try the coke or chicken broth available in the aid station"

2013-01-26 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4595910

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Tri2Smile - 2013-01-26 5:50 PM

Hi Everyone.  Crazy busy with work and family stuff ever since the holidays ended.  I've enjoyed reading the recent discussions here and have learned a lot.  I can see how being a triathlete is truly a lifestyle.  I had a few newbie questions I would like get advice on.

x2 on what Judi said.  Other thoughts below.

My open water class was rescheduled so I wanted to ask for tips on sighting so I can begin practicing.   I train in our outdoor pool but plan on dedicating some swim sessions at a local lake. I've heard about following feet or using a landmark. I also got some tips on how to adjust your stroke every so often to take a peek on your direction.

Unless you are very confident about the feet in front of you, don't follow them blindly.  Still sight.  As you grow comfortable with them, you can sight less and less and just follow the feet, but that's got to be a pretty high level of comfort.

Landmarks are the way to go.  Obviously specific situations are going to call for different measures.  Sometimes you're lucky and there is something obvious on shore that you can head for.  More often, at least in the races that I tend to do, the buoys are the best thing.  Problem there is that when they are far away, they can be hard to see.  My usual procedure is to sight quite frequently until I'm confident I've spied the next buoy, and then somewhat less (depending on conditions) until I get there, then try to find the next one.  Obviously you should also familiarize yourself with the course ahead of time.

As for technique, I don't think I can do better than this:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

A really important point that they make there is -- do not breathe while sighting;  lift to sight, then turn your head to the side as normal to breathe.  If you try to breathe while looking forward, you will lift your head too high and your hips and legs will drop.  It isn't rocket science.  Practice diligently and you'll get it.

I current use just water/gu/clif bloks for my bike rides. For longer bike rides, what kind of hydration mixtures work well ? I know a few guys that use either carbo pro or cytomax. Also, what about actual food versus gu?

Nutrition is very individual.  Don't believe any cookie-cutter formulas that you see out there.  Practice and experiment and see what works in training.  And if that totally fails in a race (I hope it doesn't!) re-assess and try other things.  I would be very very leery of almost any 'studies' that you see about this issue.  99% of them are funded by companies who have a stake in the outcome.  The one piece of general advice that seems to be true for most people is: keep it simple. 

I've drastically cut my strength training after phasing out of crossfit/lifting to tri training a few months back. Is some light strength/core training absolutely necessary? My first sprint tri's are in March so dedicating most of my time in swim and riding while maintaining my run fitness. I am not really following a specific sprint program.  After that, I do plan to start a specific structured program specifically for an oly tri in late May. Would it be a good idea to incorporate some strength training at that point ?

Strength/core is not essential at all.  If you are going to add anything back in, I'd add core.  And try to make it as relevant as possible.  Don't just do situps.  (That's not one of the disciplines in tri...)  Having said that, lifting is quite good for general health, especially for older folks (I don't recall whether we know your age...sorry).  And I'm also convinced that triathletes who have a very specific and significant weakness could benefit from some strength training.  But as Judi said, most of us barely have time to get in S/B/R, and that's far more important for performance.

Looking back at your first year of tri training, what are some of the things you would do differently now if you were starting out ?  Sorry for so many questions, it's sometimes hard just to find time to post...but all 4 kids out of the house for a few more minutes  =)

I know the feeling.  I've got 5 aged 11 and under.   Lot's of work!  (Good work, though.)  What would I do differently?  I would swim more.  Lots more.

Edited by Experior 2013-01-26 10:24 PM
2013-01-27 7:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Hey all!  Well I only got one run in this week due to the sickness and a monster day at work yesterday (from 8am to 9pm). Excited to try and get back on track even though my Q1 travelling will be heating up starting this week.

2013-01-27 10:00 AM

Master
Orlando
Happy Sunday all! Did a nice easy shake it out 4 mile run this morning. I just started running with orthotics and am still in the getting used to them phase, so I had a bit of arch fatigue toward the end. After that I hopped on the trainer for an hour. Sort of my own special brick.I'm now sitting in my yard, under an oak tree, drinking coffee with my dog asleep at my feet. A perfect Sunday morning! Hope you all are having an equally good one.
2013-01-27 10:16 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Question -

I'm running a 1/2 mary on February 16 and then a trail 1/2 mary on March 16.

What do I do for that month training wise? I'm thinking a week of recovery, a short 2 week build, and then a week taper, putting my long runs (and maybe longer short runs) out on the trails for experience.

Any tips, advice, etc?
2013-01-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4596466

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

enders_shadow - 2013-01-27 11:16 AM Question - I'm running a 1/2 mary on February 16 and then a trail 1/2 mary on March 16. What do I do for that month training wise? I'm thinking a week of recovery, a short 2 week build, and then a week taper, putting my long runs (and maybe longer short runs) out on the trails for experience. Any tips, advice, etc?

Kristen,

That looks pretty good.  Depending on how hard you go out for Love Rox and how you feel post race you may not need the full week off running.  BUT, I would plan to take off then only add in a couple of easy effort runs only if I felt well enough to do it.

As for trail running, totally different beast.  Yes, get some time on the trails prior to the race.  I think of trail running like hill running....can be pretty humbling but is worth the effort.

2013-01-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4596466

Edited by Fred D 2013-01-27 11:35 AM
2013-01-27 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4596448

2013-01-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4596547

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-01-27 11:37 AM
amd723 - 2013-01-27 11:00 AMHappy Sunday all! Did a nice easy shake it out 4 mile run this morning. I just started running with orthotics and am still in the getting used to them phase, so I had a bit of arch fatigue toward the end. After that I hopped on the trainer for an hour. Sort of my own special brick.I'm now sitting in my yard, under an oak tree, drinking coffee with my dog asleep at my feet. A perfect Sunday morning! Hope you all are having an equally good one.
Yeah at this time of year I wish I lived in a more southern climate so I could be sitting in my yard too!My family and I will be in Orlando for the first week of March this year and is suspect I will do some biking and running. I've riden part of the fruit loop before.Be careful with the orthotics they need a slow break in process.
I have to take advantage of the weather now because in a few months the heat and humidity will be killer.I don't know what the " fruit loop" is! I know the Orange Blossom trail, what is the fruit loop?
2013-01-27 3:12 PM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Speaking of heat and humidity,  I did my first run on vacation and had the pleasure of experiencing 100F+ temp swing, between our -24F WC in Madison and 82F in Virgin Gorda.  Melted like a popsicle. Ugly.

We then took a  hike to the Baths which are giants boulders made of granite, through a water cave and ended up here, Devils Bay.  

No complaints.  It's bee a great day so far.

2013-01-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4596752

Master
Orlando
SSMinnow - 2013-01-27 3:12 PM

Speaking of heat and humidity,  I did my first run on vacation and had the pleasure of experiencing 100F+ temp swing, between our -24F WC in Madison and 82F in Virgin Gorda.  Melted like a popsicle. Ugly.

We then took a  hike to the Baths which are giants boulders made of granite, through a water cave and ended up here, Devils Bay.  

That is spectacular !
2013-01-27 4:34 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
We went to the gym, went to a different location since we had to go out to Midlothian to drop our daughter at her boyfriends house.  Found that the location we went to has a real Master's Swim class twice a week. I can't make the Tuesday class because it's in the middle of my work day, but I will be trying the Thursday evening class this week.  it may be a solution to my swim instructor situation....
2013-01-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4596544

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Fred D - 2013-01-27 12:34 PM
enders_shadow - 2013-01-27 11:16 AMQuestion -I'm running a 1/2 mary on February 16 and then a trail 1/2 mary on March 16. What do I do for that month training wise? I'm thinking a week of recovery, a short 2 week build, and then a week taper, putting my long runs (and maybe longer short runs) out on the trails for experience.Any tips, advice, etc?
I am not a believer in tapering much for most amateurs (all of us here) doing races. Most of us don't put the huge volume in that a taper helps release the fatigue from. If anything I think a lot of people de train with their taper. So I guess I wouldn't taper too much beyond just skipping the longest run in the week before the second race.With that said I do think trail running is fun, but somewhat more dangerous as its easier to slip and fall. More fun though in my experience.
X2. Many amateurs over-taper, IMO. The main issue will be recovering from the first. Usually a week is enough to start feeling OK, but there will be residual fatigue that you won't really shed unless you are running many many miles per week right now. Beyond getting in one 10-12 mile run during that inter-race period, and doing what else you can without doing more harm than good, I wouldn't commit to a definite plan. After that first recovery week, consistency will be more important than anything else.In short, make the recovery week truly recovery--no hard running! Then run as frequently as possible and get in at least one, and no more than two, 10-12 mile run(s). Train on trails if at all possible--your small stabilizer muscles are important on trails and don't get much of a workout on roads or treadmills.

2013-01-28 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4596752

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
SSMinnow - 2013-01-27 3:12 PM

JEALOUS.   I'm in the Minnesota Snow and Cold right now!  UGH!

2013-01-28 8:22 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Got my run on this morning, Compliments of the hotel Treadmill.   Snow and Ice last night does not make for good, safe outdoor running conditions.   Temps aren't bad, but it rained before it snowed, and so needless to say, it is icy under the snow.  So -- not going to temp fate.

2013-01-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4597452

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
UTTriman - 2013-01-28 8:22 AM

Got my run on this morning, Compliments of the hotel Treadmill.   Snow and Ice last night does not make for good, safe outdoor running conditions.   Temps aren't bad, but it rained before it snowed, and so needless to say, it is icy under the snow.  So -- not going to temp fate.

Nice job getting it done.  I did hear the Midwest had some pretty nasty weather.  I too, got my long run done.  And got chased by some wild goats in the process.  They look so cute behind a fence.

2013-01-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4598333

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
SSMinnow - 2013-01-28 4:03 PM
UTTriman - 2013-01-28 8:22 AM

Nice job getting it done.  I did hear the Midwest had some pretty nasty weather.  I too, got my long run done.  And got chased by some wild goats in the process.  They look so cute behind a fence.

[/QUOTEThat is almost quotable.  Funny....thoughI am sure I would think otherwise if they chased me (unless it led to a freakishly fast pace that became the new speed of my runs Surprised)

Got my run in this afternoon.  Not super speedy, but no goats involved.

2013-01-29 6:16 AM

2013-01-29 6:18 AM

2013-01-29 6:34 AM

Carbondale, Illinois
Goal for January was to be consistent in training (done with everyone's help!) and lose 7.5lbs (done--down 18 so far). Goals for Feb are to lose another 7.5lbs and be able to swim in the long set pool, using flipturns for an entire workout.

Got in my last workout for January this morning. I did a short run, it is my "rest" week. My run actually felt great, which is a new concept for me! Temp outside at 5:30 was an unseasonable 60F, but the winds were pretty wild. I could actually feel myself slow down when I turned into the wind and speed up when it was at my back...probably all in my head! Anyway, I head to Cairo this afternoon and probably won't be getting any s/b/r in there, but likely plenty of walking. I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

2013-01-29 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4599139

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-01-29 6:16 AMGot my swim in this am.Crossed 50,000 yards for the month.Feeling pretty good about things, but still not sure about running as I have some lingering injuries.How did everyone do with their goals??
My January goal was to run 4 x per week, trying to get my base back while healing and not hurting myself further. I think I may have missed one run, but I continue to heal and haven't caused any new injuries, so I'm claiming a made goal!February will be more of the same with an increase of bike time as I start to think about my April tri.
2013-01-29 6:59 AM

Master
Orlando
I got a 5.5 mile run in this morning. Felt pretty sluggish from lack of sleep and last night's workout, but even so, I can tell things are moving in the right direction. I will not get my trainer ride in after work b/ c I have company coming in today, but somehow I'm not very upset about missing time on the trainer
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64