Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-04-13 1:20 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by drfoodlove Has anyone noticed we have several hundred more posts than the Manatees? Those folks are always the post leaders! Good job everyone sticking around and posting! 

I would've posted something about this in my other post, but in the spirit of padding our numbers I'll add another one and say, "YAY US!!!"

Definitely didn't do every comment in it's own post as a blatant attempt to up the post count. Although we've been pretty active on here, I think the fact we're winning the post count (not that its a competition) has more to do with the slow demise of the overall BT community. I think in the not too distant future we're going to have to start a strava club, or FB group or something before this place is gone. :/

That's a fair assessment I'm afraid...when the Manatees post count is down you know we're circling.  I know there are still a ton of people that use the logs here and post like once every six months, but the vibe from 10-15 years ago is definitely long gone.  I belong to several FB groups for a number of topics and the formatting sucks.  I've never understood the sub-thread thing like FB and Reddit...can't stand it.

Oh well enough doom and gloom today - got in a Bikram session this morning and a lunch bike working on power in aero.  Both went reasonably well.  6 AM gym session tomorrow.

Agree with you both...we are a small group and there are some days that no one posts at all. We should not be the leading mentor group in post numbers. Heck...there should be more than two mentor groups! I can remember when there were 10 or more to choose from and some groups actually "closed". Seems like a long time ago now, but the site has not kept up with the times at all. The only two things I use on this site are this board and the training logs. I don't even venture into TriTalk anymore because it is a ghost town. It seems Alice doesn't either, as there have been a couple of spam posts that stuck around for a couple of days recently. As moderator, she should be getting rid of those pretty quickly if she's paying any attention to the site at all. Sadly, it doesn't seem she's much interest in maintaining or improving the site at all (or the mobile app, which is just plain awful).

2023-04-13 1:22 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hey all! Mike, sorry to hear about the back! I hope you get to healing so you can get back at it!

Gretchen and Andrew, nice efforts this month!

Nicole , I hope your team finds another runner!

Nathalie, any ice left? Are you still going for ice swims?

I know there was someone new who popped in, I haven’t seen them post recently though. And hi to Dave Q, wherever you are!

It’s been a tough go and tonight I decided to get a race on the schedule to give me a goal to work towards. I signed up for the Lake George 70.3, now put on by Alpha Win. I’ve done it a couple of times before but under previous ownership. I’m excited to go back. I’m nervous because I’m grossly out of shape. Ack! But the fire has now been lit.

Big goals are always great to have to motivate training! As Nat said, when is it?
2023-04-13 1:27 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Awful, soul crushingly awful interval run this morning. It was 33' of pure terrible...my legs wouldn't move, my HR wouldn't climb, it felt like I was running through some sort of semi-solid air (and the air was clear for once!). I was just terrible all around. The logical side of me thinks it is because I slept terribly last night (awake from 10-11 and 12:00 to 3:30), but I'm convinced it is because I put my shoes and socks on in the wrong order before I left.

After the run, I did about 45' of strength stuff, which was a new routine from TP. Nice to change things up a bit. I was getting a little complacent with the other workout. This one humbled me a bit.

Later this afternoon, I have a 90' interval ride on the schedule. I hope it goes better than this morning's run and last week's interval ride. Although I've a plan in place to go into it with more calories in my body than I did last week. Hopefully that will help.
2023-04-13 6:41 AM
in reply to: #5285041

User image

, Vermont
The race is the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, so September 2nd. Here’s to hoping I get the time off! I’ll be bringing my kiddo to college for the first time the weekend before so I’m hoping my
schedule works out.
Got a good nights sleep last night, now rolling over for more. In my world that the start of a workout; good sleep. Haha
2023-04-13 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove A The logical side of me thinks it is because I slept terribly last night (awake from 10-11 and 12:00 to 3:30), but I'm convinced it is because I put my shoes and socks on in the wrong order before I left. 

That's ridiculous and makes no sense at all...therefore that must be the reason. 

2023-04-13 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got to the gym this morning and plowed through 22' on the bike, 15' on the treadmill (not quite running yet, but walking like 13-min miles), the lower body and core work and a 500 yard swim cool down.  Decent day for waking up at 3:40 this morning.  Going to get some yard work in as well today.  It's been in the low to mid-80s the last couple of days.

2023-04-13 9:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by drfoodlove A The logical side of me thinks it is because I slept terribly last night (awake from 10-11 and 12:00 to 3:30), but I'm convinced it is because I put my shoes and socks on in the wrong order before I left. 

That's ridiculous and makes no sense at all...therefore that must be the reason. 

Must be it. Always better to put the socks on first, then the shoes.
2023-04-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in a 30 min PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 minutes of core. I'm feeling a bit tired b/c I've been waking up a half hour earlier (5am), but think I am adjusting pretty quickly. I'm still laying in bed for longer than I should, but now I have an extra half hour so haven't been skipping workouts.

If I don't get out of bed within a couple minutes of my alarm or waking up, I feel like crap, unless I have enough time to force myself back to sleep which takes a while sometimes. 

I hate getting older. 

I'm with you here, Mike. I'm usually awake before my alarm. On the rare occasion that I sleep until the alarm goes off, I get up right away. My wife, on the other hand, is a prodigious user of the snooze button. I just don't understand. If you want to sleep until X time, set your alarm for that time! Why wake yourself up every 7 or 9 minutes for an hour before you have to get up?!?!?!?!?! Someone explain it to me like I'm 5!

My general attitude is that a REM cycle is about 45' long, so if I wake up any time less than 45' before my alarm goes off, going back to sleep for those minutes would be less restful, as disrupted REM cycles generally cause grogginess.

Alarm? What's that? Haven't used one for about a year and feel so much better for it. I usually wake up on time (because I don't need to get up at 5 am anyway) but if I don't, I just get to work when I get to work and stay longer instead or catch up the time at the weekend. Lucky to work for a company that's quite flexible.

Mostly when my alarm goes off, I wake up but mess around on my phone for a little while. I've gotten better, putting limits and timers on certain apps so I don't aimlessly scroll, but I still get a little lazy.
I spoke too soon about adjusting quickly though. Work has been a bit stressful (found out we need to cut some positions, and I'm the one that gets to decide which ones...) so I've woken up at 3am the last 2 days and had trouble getting back to sleep. Yesterday I didn't work out, chose to take a rest day. I got up this morning and got a 45 min PZ ride in. My butt was hurting by the end...still need to get some padded shorts!
Feeling a bit run down, but pushing through...it will get better soon hopefully (though I feel like I've been saying that for years now...)
2023-04-13 10:29 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, way to sign up for a race! Definitely a good way to get motivated.

Awesome that we are winning. I know this forum is struggling, but am really glad to have our little group. You guys make me feel accountable and are encouraging when I'm struggling. I'm really glad to know you, even if I haven't met any of you other than Mike, ever so briefly. A whatsapp or signal group could work though!

Gretchen, I think I say this all the time, but I just really love reading your posts. You manage to create mental images that always make me giggle. Glad you were able to make it into the swimsuit, lol, and sorry to hear about your bad interval run! We all have them. Get some rest!

Nathalie, when's the next hockey game?!

Mike, good luck outside! Hope you finish what you want before it gets too toasty!

2023-04-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Work has been a bit stressful (found out we need to cut some positions, and I'm the one that gets to decide which ones...) so I've woken up at 3am the last 2 days and had trouble getting back to sleep.

Yesterday I didn't work out, chose to take a rest day. I got up this morning and got a 45 min PZ ride in. My butt was hurting by the end...still need to get some padded shorts!
Feeling a bit run down, but pushing through...it will get better soon hopefully (though I feel like I've been saying that for years now...)

I can imagine that keeps you awake at night, not easy! I do tend to wake up and think about work when things get stressy. So annoying!
Glad you managed a ride this morning, working out does help against stress.

Next game is on Saturday, semi final number one! 4th time in the club’s short history (25 years old and only 11 years in the SHL, the highest division) that we are in the final. The first 3 times, we won (2015, 2018 and 2021). We have a new coach this year since the previous one left after 10 years and 3 titles to become Sweden’s National coach.
Not to bad for his first year as head coach…
2023-04-13 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by aviatrix802

The race is the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, so September 2nd. Here’s to hoping I get the time off! I’ll be bringing my kiddo to college for the first time the weekend before so I’m hoping my
schedule works out.
Got a good nights sleep last night, now rolling over for more. In my world that the start of a workout; good sleep. Haha

Awesome that you've signed up for a 70.3. Nothing helps motivation like an emotional and financial investment in an upcoming event. September is miles away, lots of time to make some huge progress.

2023-04-13 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

It's bad luck to be superstitious.
2023-04-13 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Great job getting it in, despite your less than ideal sleep the night before!

You change sweatbands throughout the workout? I just wring mine out on the floor! I love seeing the giant puddle under the bike after a hard session! (note: my wife HATES this practice, even though I have a large rubber mat under my bike and mop it up after each workout, she still thinks it is gross--she might be the more civilized half of our relationship)

Yeah, I usually have 1 or 2 spare sweat bands hanging off the handlebars of my trainer setup. I'm a big sweater, most workouts I look like I've been in the pool. Especially on the trainer/treadmill. Anything over an hour is a multi sweatband ride. And if I'm doing enough higher effort stuff shorter ones can be too.

I have the bike on the click together rubber mats too, and make an impressive enough puddle under the bike but if I tried wringing a sweat headband out I think that would just about end in divorce. Haha.
2023-04-13 8:56 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Like Gretchen, I also had a sucky interval run yesterday.

I did 10x1min Z4 efforts. And it's the first time in a long time I've run that fast. Not sure if the workout was just too much, too much fatuige from earlier in the week, or not enough energy because I hadn't eaten much before the run during the day. But legs were heavy, felt terrible, and there was a definite blow up. after 5 intervals my rest periods started including walking, instead of jogging. And after the main set, I walked up the hills on the run back home. After the run I felt a bit nauseous, totally drained.

I'm leaning towards just being totally underfulled as the cause. As part of my weightloss plan (about 25lbs down so far from my max, not Gretchen levels but a start) I'm doing some intermittent fasting to help control my calorie intake. During the day I eat minimally, a couple of coffees, lots of water etc. and I have my main meal at dinner. Morning workouts have never been an issue, and evening workouts are usually after dinner so no fueling issues there. But yesterday the family was at my inlaws when I got home from work, so I took advantage and went for a run between work and dinner. I had a couple of Bananas straight after running to try and fill up, but the damage had been done.

Moral of the story, when trying to lose weight I need to think more about when to eat around workouts.

And today I'm going to give myself a rest day. Saturday I've got a ride to do watching my warriors (loss last week so dropped from 2nd to 5th on the table. Hoping for a bounce back win on the weekend) and long run followed by coffee with a friend Sunday morning.

Have a good weekend team. And go Nathalies Hockey team in the finals!
2023-04-13 11:59 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Like Gretchen, I also had a sucky interval run yesterday.

I did 10x1min Z4 efforts. And it's the first time in a long time I've run that fast. Not sure if the workout was just too much, too much fatuige from earlier in the week, or not enough energy because I hadn't eaten much before the run during the day. But legs were heavy, felt terrible, and there was a definite blow up. after 5 intervals my rest periods started including walking, instead of jogging. And after the main set, I walked up the hills on the run back home. After the run I felt a bit nauseous, totally drained.

I'm leaning towards just being totally underfulled as the cause. As part of my weightloss plan (about 25lbs down so far from my max, not Gretchen levels but a start) I'm doing some intermittent fasting to help control my calorie intake. During the day I eat minimally, a couple of coffees, lots of water etc. and I have my main meal at dinner. Morning workouts have never been an issue, and evening workouts are usually after dinner so no fueling issues there. But yesterday the family was at my inlaws when I got home from work, so I took advantage and went for a run between work and dinner. I had a couple of Bananas straight after running to try and fill up, but the damage had been done.

Moral of the story, when trying to lose weight I need to think more about when to eat around workouts.

And today I'm going to give myself a rest day. Saturday I've got a ride to do watching my warriors (loss last week so dropped from 2nd to 5th on the table. Hoping for a bounce back win on the weekend) and long run followed by coffee with a friend Sunday morning.

Have a good weekend team. And go Nathalies Hockey team in the finals!

Yes, that sounds about right, not enough fuel in the tank. Lesson learned!
2023-04-14 12:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Lol, very true!

I am not normally superstitious but when I watch hockey, I always have to wear the same clothes: long sleeve top and Tshirt with team logo on for home games and replica jersey for away games from my couch. Although for the last 2 away games I deliberately changed to team shirt and sweater in team colours due to too many away defeats. It worked, we won the last 2 away games so I’ll stick to that for the final. Weird?

When I played football (soccer), I had to wear the same underwear.

Strangely enough, I could not care less about what I wear for a race I am running. Can you explain that?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-14 3:37 AM

2023-04-14 12:55 AM
in reply to: #5285050

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I don’t think anyone can explain weird sports related neuroses. Nor should we try. Recognize the weird and embrace it!!
2023-04-14 12:58 AM
in reply to: #5285064

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Slow Z1 run of 30’ this morning, followed by a straight 2500yds in the pool. Others than a little cramping in my calves near the end of the swim, both went really well. I probably could have pushed the swim a bit harder, but I tend to lose focus in the pool on super long swims. It is just so boring! Losing focus for me means slowing way, way down.
2023-04-14 1:04 AM
in reply to: #5285065

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—what you described sounds like classic under-fueling. It is a tricky game to try to lose weight while maximizing training performance, at least for endurance sports. Might be for others too, I just have no idea because I don’t do other sports. For me, I couldn’t do a late afternoon workout after fasting most of the day. I can’t fast most of the day, period. I eat every two hours, maybe two and a half. A good idea to have a bit of carb a little while before these workouts to have some fuel in the tank, and then, depending on how long of a workout, some carb and protein afterwards. It is counterintuitive, but eating more can actually help with losing weight. (For me…recognizing we are all n=1 and have unique needs). Great job on the loss!! 25# is amazing progress!!
2023-04-14 3:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I don’t think anyone can explain weird sports related neuroses. Nor should we try. Recognize the weird and embrace it!!

I'm always one to embrace the weird!
2023-04-14 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

RE:  weight loss....just finished reading a book Supersized Lies; the basics are that every person has a different set of genetics, hormone swings, metabolism, activity level, food sensitivities, etc., and that it takes a lot of experimentation to nail down what works.  Throw in endurance training and it becomes even harder.  For me, it's tough to gain or lose a lot of weight...I seem to hover between 90 and 94 kg (198 - 207) no matter what I eat as long as I'm doing something active.  The only major weight loss effort I ever did was Atkins about 20 years ago.  I lost like 12 pounds in 2.5 weeks but I was a mess physically and mentally. 

Today for me was 5.4 miles walking and 1750 (for all you neurotics out there) in the pool.  Mission accomplished.

2023-04-15 6:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big morning here. 2000yd swim at 6, then around 8:15 I started a 2:30 ride, with 10x1' Z5 intervals, followed by a long 80' of Z2 steady state. Timed it to start the ride just as my Aussie rules footie team was starting their game, so that carried me through the boring bits of the ride. This morning I woke up to listening to the Cubs win against the Dodgers, then the Bombers won against North Melbourne. A good day for my sports teams!
2023-04-15 6:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Did a bit of mid-month number crunching, and right now I'm on track to blow March numbers out of the water. If pace stays as it has been for the first two weeks of the month, I'm looking at 16-19% increases in volume for each of the disciplines. That feels pretty good. Gives me a lot of confidence about this training block, for sure.
2023-04-15 2:58 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Did a bit of mid-month number crunching, and right now I'm on track to blow March numbers out of the water. If pace stays as it has been for the first two weeks of the month, I'm looking at 16-19% increases in volume for each of the disciplines. That feels pretty good. Gives me a lot of confidence about this training block, for sure.

That’s great!
And yeah! For your teams!
2023-04-15 3:05 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
First outdoor ride of the season this morning a nice & easy 38k at ”going shopping pace” (25k/h), just pushing up the 3 or 4 hills on this route to spice it up a bit.

Then this afternoon, a great hockey game which needed almost 2 whole overtime periods to decide the winner. Happily, the winning team was the right one but it could have gone either way.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland