BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-05-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1408518

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-17 10:47 AM

Hey Manatees!  I had my longest, longest run ever in my life today - I'm too tired to retype the report - for details checkout my blog

In a nutshell, I went 6.6 miles with a 1 mile cool down walk - whew! 

great run...before you know it you will be doing an easy 10 miler(if there is ever an easy 10 miler).

2008-05-19 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1410600

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
ShawnC13 - 2008-05-19 7:52 AM

Hey everyone I made it through my 5 days of golf barely!! Wow what a mental drain that was I don't know how the pros do it week after week. I guess that is why they are pros.

Yanti is BT athlete of the month!! I just listened to her interview and of course she was amazing like we would expect her to be!!

as if there was any doubt to that. congrats yantil....
2008-05-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1411093

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Of course we here in Manatee land are very willing to share one of our wonderful leaders with the rest of the BT community.  Hey ...... we are givers like that 

Congrats Yanti.

2008-05-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1411165

User image

Melon Presser
Reno8 - 2008-05-19 11:49 AM

Of course we here in Manatee land are very willing to share one of our wonderful leaders with the rest of the BT community.  Hey ...... we are givers like that 

Congrats Yanti.

That was a good belly laugh. Thanks, Steve.

Thank you ALL. You have been kind enough to share your journeys with me and it helps me soooo much.

Leslie, glad you had a break on the mt.

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS TO CHARLOTTE and her husband! Eagerly awaiting RR.

Suzy, way to go on persevering with challenge despite feeling like you're not sticking as well as you'd like. EFFORT COUNTS ... without taking action, there is no result. And since you've taken lots of great action, you have FAR MORE results than you would have, had you not set the goals and started out on them to begin with.

That goes for ALL of you. Yes, Erin.

2008-05-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1411326

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-05-19 11:36 AM

That goes for ALL of you. Yes, Erin.

That's very sporting of you, Yanti! *g*
2008-05-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Expert

Wow what a week/weekend for everyone. So busy. I've been pretty quiet lately but will try and get my pom-poms back in action.

Positive Thought of the Day: Although I talked myself out of running about six times while I was biking Saturday, I did it anyway. It was way to hot and I was tired, but I just did it.

I actually think it's a good thing as I have no had great results in the heat. The race I did last October was a sufferfest because of how I reacted to the heat (among other things) and I had the same feelings on Saturday. I think I really need to keep working on that aspect of my workouts, so that when it happens again I'm more prepared.

Does anyone else have issues working out in the heat?

2008-05-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1411993

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
elheffe99 - 2008-05-19 2:58 PM

I actually think it's a good thing as I have no had great results in the heat. The race I did last October was a sufferfest because of how I reacted to the heat (among other things) and I had the same feelings on Saturday. I think I really need to keep working on that aspect of my workouts, so that when it happens again I'm more prepared.

It's been pretty cold since last spring when I started this tri journey--all my events were on chilly or rainy days last summer--most training was the same.  When I was running on Saturday in the heat, I suddenly had the thought that odds were it would be pretty HOT on June 7 in central Washington, where my Oly is.  I don't know how to prepare for that, since it's already cooling down again.  I guess hydrate, take it easy, and don't be surprised by it.  And sunscreen!  I got a little bit of color while up on Mt. Rainier, which was nice, but a burn from racing is not nice!!  Any other tips for those of us in the cold north??  Or even those who often train and race in the heat??

2008-05-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1411993

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
elheffe99 - 2008-05-19 4:58 PM

Wow what a week/weekend for everyone. So busy. I've been pretty quiet lately but will try and get my pom-poms back in action.

Positive Thought of the Day: Although I talked myself out of running about six times while I was biking Saturday, I did it anyway. It was way to hot and I was tired, but I just did it.

First things first!  An excellent positive comment and even better you did it, got the run in!

I too have a tough time in the heat, I often think it's because I don't train in it all that much - I usually opt for early morning workouts before it gets to oppressive - not sure if that's a good strategy or not

My rationale has been that I'm working out about the same time that the races are so, I should be ok

When I ran on Saturday, I definitely noticed the heat (it wasn't that hot, but first time in the heat this year - and I did not bring any hydration - lesson learned!)

2008-05-19 5:23 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Leslie - sorry I have no tips for training in the cold, hate to admit it, but I am a wimp Wink

2008-05-19 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1412018

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Leslie;

Do you have anywhere you can train indoors?  As in a gym etc.  Doing a swim/spinning bike brick or a spinning/treadmill run brick is usually MUCH hotter than training outside.  It also sets you up to check your hydration.  But you have to ease into this and not do your "regular training distances".  Because of the heat, cut it back a little and build it up.

2008-05-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1412123

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Reno8 - 2008-05-19 4:02 PM

Leslie;

Do you have anywhere you can train indoors?  As in a gym etc.  Doing a swim/spinning bike brick or a spinning/treadmill run brick is usually MUCH hotter than training outside.  It also sets you up to check your hydration.  But you have to ease into this and not do your "regular training distances".  Because of the heat, cut it back a little and build it up.

I do have a gym, and I hate the treadmill!!  I ran outside pretty much all winter, no problem there!  Biking--I either did a spin class or the trainer.  Now that spring is here, I am so happy to be outside that I don't really notice the heat too much except on the rare super hot day.  I am just going to be very aware of hydration-and now that I have a Garmin, I can watch my HR as well!

2008-05-19 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1412266

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Leslie;

I don't think I explained what I meant very well.  I love to be out too but training inside is a GREAT way to acclimate yourself to the heat.  There is just no way to stay cool doing a brick indoors and that is a super way to train with your body at a high temp when the weather is so nice outside.

Believe me, I would rather be outside running rain or shine and any temp above 38-40 but if I need to get used to the heat there are not many better techniques than training inside (I hate the treadmill too...but it can be useful).

Hope that explains it better...

2008-05-19 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1412407

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-05-19 8:21 PM

Leslie;

I don't think I explained what I meant very well. I love to be out too but training inside is a GREAT way to acclimate yourself to the heat. There is just no way to stay cool doing a brick indoors and that is a super way to train with your body at a high temp when the weather is so nice outside.

Believe me, I would rather be outside running rain or shine and any temp above 38-40 but if I need to get used to the heat there are not many better techniques than training inside (I hate the treadmill too...but it can be useful).

Hope that explains it better...

I hadn't thought about it that way - thank you! 

2008-05-19 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1412430

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-19 9:29 PM

I am more than glad to do anything I can do to suck up to you, Beth, because I didn't get in the pool like I promised help.

2008-05-19 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1412437

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-05-19 8:32 PM
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-19 9:29 PM

I am more than glad to do anything I can do to suck up to you, Beth, because I didn't get in the pool like I promised help.

LOL!

I know you promise Steve - but I also know that you have legitimate reasons for not getting in the pool, so you are off the hook - for now  

2008-05-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1412018

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-19 5:12 PM
elheffe99 - 2008-05-19 2:58 PM

It's been pretty cold since last spring when I started this tri journey--all my events were on chilly or rainy days last summer--most training was the same.  When I was running on Saturday in the heat, I suddenly had the thought that odds were it would be pretty HOT on June 7 in central Washington, where my Oly is.  I don't know how to prepare for that, since it's already cooling down again.  I guess hydrate, take it easy, and don't be surprised by it.  And sunscreen!  I got a little bit of color while up on Mt. Rainier, which was nice, but a burn from racing is not nice!!  Any other tips for those of us in the cold north??  Or even those who often train and race in the heat??

As a WI resident I can attest to the fact that it is difficult to train in cold weather and transition to heat right away.  When training for Boston, I did a lot of my running indoors which was around 65F, but that was out of necessity due to footing. At Boston it turned out to be warmer and sunnier than I was used to and I definitely did not drink enough.  Dehyration and cramping was an issue despite maintaining a reasonable racing HR.  In retrospect, I should have drank a lot more than I did and taken in more electrolytes through Succeed tablets or something similar.  Maybe that will help you.

I have friends who trained for IM WI last year by piling on clothes to simulate sweating like a dog outside.  Looks bizarre, but they seem to think helped them plan their hydration. 

Suzy

2008-05-20 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Hey Manatees! I have been reading your wonderful progress, I promise. I am not able to get on my personal computer except in the evenings and am going to make a concerted effort to start posting in the evenings, starting tonight. I'm sort of doing a big "no-no" right now, but I'm the only one in the office and am sneaking

I body marked at the Encinitas Triathlon this past Sunday and got my spirit renewed big time. I had the honor of marking the two women who ended up winning the Athena class (she weighed over 300 pounds just a year ago!) and my own AGrs. They were both extremely wonderful women and made it a point to hunt me down to let me know they had won! I also had the honor of waiting on the last athlete to cross the finish line. Mr. "Bill" is a 20-time Kona competitor and the very young age of 85. He was such a dear. If I never race in my life, I will continue to volunteer because with the exception of a minute few, Triathletes are the greatest people to be around. I have already forwarded an email to the volunteer coordinator of the Carlsbad Tri to see if they need my help. My own DH-Triathlete thinks he sucked at this race, however he finished just 10 minutes behind Scott Tinley - which I think is pretty darn good!

I started my own training yesterday with a 21 minutes wralk/jog. I focused on the beauty around me instead of the pain leaving my body and enjoyed it more. I need to remember to grab my Shuffle on the way out the door. Maybe putting it in my shoe will help me remember since I'm barely awake at 5 a.m. I was supposed to swim last night but the little black and white lovely you see in my avatar had splatter butt so I ended up shampooing carpets instead
2008-05-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1413575

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Terri!

How good to *see* you!  You've been in our thoughts!  How exciting that you got to do the body marking at the Encinitas Triathlon this past Sunday, what a great way to renew your spirit!

I loved your description of how you changed your focus to the beauty around you - I have found that really helps me as well!

Glad you snuck in some time at work to let us know what is going on with you - hope to hear from you in the evenings!

2008-05-20 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Terri;

Great job on the run/walk yesterday.  And SUPER job by DH for his fast race.

And I have to hand it too you.....I will bet that is the first time in the history of the world that the terms "Scott Tinley" and "splatter butt" have been used in the same post. 

2008-05-20 12:33 PM

User image

Champion

MrsUSMC - 2008-05-20 11:04 AM Hey Manatees! I have been reading your wonderful progress, I promise. I am not able to get on my personal computer except in the evenings and am going to make a concerted effort to start posting in the evenings, starting tonight. I'm sort of doing a big "no-no" right now, but I'm the only one in the office and am sneaking I body marked at the Encinitas Triathlon this past Sunday and got my spirit renewed big time. I had the honor of marking the two women who ended up winning the Athena class (she weighed over 300 pounds just a year ago!) and my own AGrs. They were both extremely wonderful women and made it a point to hunt me down to let me know they had won! I also had the honor of waiting on the last athlete to cross the finish line. Mr. "Bill" is a 20-time Kona competitor and the very young age of 85. He was such a dear. If I never race in my life, I will continue to volunteer because with the exception of a minute few, Triathletes are the greatest people to be around. I have already forwarded an email to the volunteer coordinator of the Carlsbad Tri to see if they need my help. My own DH-Triathlete thinks he sucked at this race, however he finished just 10 minutes behind Scott Tinley - which I think is pretty darn good! I started my own training yesterday with a 21 minutes wralk/jog. I focused on the beauty around me instead of the pain leaving my body and enjoyed it more. I need to remember to grab my Shuffle on the way out the door. Maybe putting it in my shoe will help me remember since I'm barely awake at 5 a.m. I was supposed to swim last night but the little black and white lovely you see in my avatar had splatter butt so I ended up shampooing carpets instead

I've never volunteered at an event (shame on me), but your post makes me think it would be a really beneficial experience.  Thanks for sharing it.

When I am struggling with work-outs, I always head to the most beautiful place I can find and live  in the moment.  It always give me a new perspective on life.  Today was one of those days.

Keep up the good work!

Suzy

2008-05-20 12:44 PM

User image

Champion

I need some honest feedback from you experienced triathletes about my first planned tri which is on July 13th and involves a half mile swim.  I am beginning to question my ability to do the swim distance.  I signed up for Danskin because I knew it was a friendly first tri and thought I would be further along by now. I have definitely improved over the last year, have a great swimming coach/teacher and am starting OWS lessons, but am in a quandry.  As a near drowning victim, I would hate to have a lousy experience and never go back in, but on the other hand, I want to start doing tris. It would be a huge accomplishment for this water fearing mammal.

What do you think? how should I proceed? look for a shorter distance event to get my feet wet?  keep plugging along and see where I land? Lots of puns in this sentence...

Rambling done....Suzy 

2008-05-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1413919

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Terri! It's so great to see you again! I've missed your enthusiasm around here. I love that you love volunteering at tris -- I've done it only once, and I agree, it's a great time. I need to get out and do it again.

And congrats on the wralk!

SSMinnow - 2008-05-20 10:44 AM

I need some honest feedback from you experienced triathletes about my first planned tri which is on July 13th and involves a half mile swim. I am beginning to question my ability to do the swim distance. I signed up for Danskin because I knew it was a friendly first tri and thought I would be further along by now. I have definitely improved over the last year, have a great swimming coach/teacher and am starting OWS lessons, but am in a quandry. As a near drowning victim, I would hate to have a lousy experience and never go back in, but on the other hand, I want to start doing tris. It would be a huge accomplishment for this water fearing mammal.

What do you think? how should I proceed? look for a shorter distance event to get my feet wet? keep plugging along and see where I land? Lots of puns in this sentence...

Rambling done....Suzy

I'm hardly one to talk since I don't have a lot of tri experience and I'm a terrible swimmer. But maybe being a bad swimmer makes me more qualified to answer!

Anyway, I was a near-drowning victim a long time ago, and I definitely had/have a pretty strong fear of water, especially open water. The key for me, either in a race or any time I do an OWS, is to give myself LOTS of time to get in the water and relax. Your swim logs looks great -- there is no doubt you can do the distance. The OWS lessons are a fantastic idea (wish I'd done that). You'll be nervous on race day no matter what, so just accept that now and come up with a plan to deal with it. For me, that means getting into the water as soon as I can, and hanging out there as long as I can -- treading water, floating, dunking my head in the water, swimming a few strokes of freestyle. After a while I feel good and relaxed, if still a little nervous.

Then, during the race itself, do everything you can to put all of the other swimmers out of your mind. Most people recommend that first-timers start at the back of the pack and off to the side -- that's worked for me so far. You'll bump into some folks in the water, of course, but at least for me, and definitely in my first tri, I knew I wasn't going to "race" the swim -- I just wanted to finish it at my own pace. So just take it easy and stop if/when you need to. If you feel yourself starting to panic or freak out, stop and tread water and take deep breaths, or swim a few strokes with your head out of the water.

I think you're going to surprise yourself, Suzy!
2008-05-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1413919

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
SSMinnow - 2008-05-20 10:44 AM

I need some honest feedback from you experienced triathletes about my first planned tri which is on July 13th and involves a half mile swim.  I am beginning to question my ability to do the swim distance.  I signed up for Danskin because I knew it was a friendly first tri and thought I would be further along by now. I have definitely improved over the last year, have a great swimming coach/teacher and am starting OWS lessons, but am in a quandry.  As a near drowning victim, I would hate to have a lousy experience and never go back in, but on the other hand, I want to start doing tris. It would be a huge accomplishment for this water fearing mammal.

What do you think? how should I proceed? look for a shorter distance event to get my feet wet?  keep plugging along and see where I land? Lots of puns in this sentence...

Rambling done....Suzy 

Suzy--Danskin is unique in that it has 'swim angels' that are out on the swim course, swimming with floatation devices such as noodles, etc.  They are there expressly for people like you, who have some fear of their ability to finish.  They will swim the whole way with you and encourage you.  It's a great thing, the Danskin, as they are all about feeling great just for finishing no matter what it takes.  So take advantage of the angels--I think they ask, while you are lining up to start, if there is anyone who needs extra support, and they send them to you, or something like that.  There are also more kayaks and boats watching the swimmers than in any race I have been in.  It's very safe and supportive there.

You might also find a duathlon in the meantime, to practice transitions and get into the spirit of racing!  It's awesome that you are doing OWS lessons.  The more you practice, the easier it will get, although there is nothing like the first time--it's definitely a unique experience, and I know you will do great.

2008-05-20 4:49 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Suzy 

In many ways I think that the Danskin is probably a great tri to start with, in spite of the distance.

A friend of mine volunteers every year as a swim angel and she has told me many beautiful stories of how people have faced fears and in some cases inexperience and in some cases both and swum safely through the race.

Because of the swim angels and the extra attention to water safety, I believe you will do fine!

I have found that the type of safety precautions for the water portion of the swim vary widely - everything from a few boats with little to no coverage to people in kayaks and in the water with moderate to good coverage -

So, if you decide to go for a shorter distance, be sure to ask LOTs of questions about the coverage in the water - I have participated in a couple of events that even as an experienced swimmer, I wished they had done more to ensure the safety of the swimmers (must be that ex-lifeguard coming out in me again )

So, the advantage of the swim angels and approach taken to water safety may outweigh the distance by far. You can always stop and rest.

I've looked at your logs and you are doing the distance in your workouts - you have a few more weeks to build more confidence - listen to your coach and the manatees and not the little voices of doubt in your head (I know - easier said than done )

I agree with Leslie that finding a du might also be a good idea for the transition part of it.

my 2 cents - fwiw

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-05-20 4:49 PM
2008-05-20 4:55 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

in other news -

I forgot to mention that Renee and I went on a killer ride on Sunday - whew!

and - today I ran, and today I paced myself - it, well, it felt pretty darn good!  Cool

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47