BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2009-01-31 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1938878

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-)
Race went well. No problem with my back. I am glad I did it. I didn't just get a tee shirt but a hooded sweatshirt. This race always has the best race gift of the season. I finished towards the rear and will post race report later
The bike was especially hard because it was hilly,cold,and windy.

My daughter came out to watch and brought her puppy. The puppy was a big hit for the other spectators.

2009-01-31 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1859524

User image

Pro
Without house

I'm caught up!  And I'm not dead!!

Thanks to Beth for the sickie shout out back on page 19, I think?  When I got back from TN, I came down with a cold that turned into a nasty sinus infection.  Ever try breathing through wet cement?  I don't recommend it.  And trying to workout like that?  Ugh.  I take a pilates/yoga fusion class...the breathe in through the nose thing wasn't working.  I finally broke down and got an antibiotic from the dotor.  Just finished them up yesterday and can now say that I remember how to breathe through my nose.

I've gotten back into the swing of things as far as regular exercise.  I'm due to start training for my HIM come March, so I should start working up my base.  My boyfriend and I are also looking at running a half mary in May. 

I worry a lot that I may have gotten myself in over my head.    In addition to working full time, I'm also taking 11 credits this semester at schol.   Additionally, I'm looking at changing positions (may or may not happen), into another management osition (which means more stress/time at work).  And, as anyone in a relationship knows, that takes it's own time to ensure proper fostering and growth (And he lives in NJ...long distance.  Fun). Fitting in the training will be a juggling act. 

I'm also seriously considering revising my Ironman goal.  I was initially looking at 2010 fo IM Moo.  Now I'm not so sure.  I don't know if I don't want to do one at all, if I want to push it back another year, or if I want to just postpone it for a bit.  I have about 7 months to decide...

I will do my best to keep up.

2009-02-01 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1938845

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
joeseal - 2009-01-31 12:13 PM Team,

I was treated to great BBQ and I got to have grits for breakfast.

Dr. Hammer…I did not get to eat at “Jacks” BBQ (and it was just a few blocks from my hotel). I did however eat at Corkeys, Demos and the WaffleHouseJ

We treat our fine visitors to only the finest cusine and 4 Star establishments.  Southern Hospitality....you are born with it...some Yankees think it's a rash 

Glad you enjoyed your time in our little corner of the world.

Steve

2009-02-01 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1939679

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Great job on the race Jonh.  Hope you are enjoying the good weather this weekend.

Steve

2009-02-02 2:03 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi manatees, 

Here's a new copy of the table with a link to Kelly's blog - Kelly changed the settings so we can stop by and say hi

<table style="height: 426px" width="300" bgcolor="#000066" background="http://stronkaszymona.republika.pl/hotpot/manatee.jpg" border="3"><tbody><tr><td><strong><p> </p><p><a href="thread-view.asp?tid=142216#M1876734">Beth and Yanti's New Manatees!</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=57784">Yanti (Triaya</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=42914">Beth (lastcall2003)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=26792">Nathalie (noony)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=67381">Erin (Fiedling)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=77188">Susan (sahooper)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=76947">Steve (Reno08)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=90482">Sam (nuttysami123)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=63056">Ronen (Ronen)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=72833">John (Johnkav)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=44437">Peggy (Maggyruth)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=123767">Chad (Redf355)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=13614">Suzie (Dr Hammer)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=79340">Amy (Givemeashot)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=81832">Joel(joelseal)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=75030">Melissa (BunnyB)</a><br /></p><p><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=90906">Kelly (CATSFAN08)</a><br /></p><p> </p></strong></td></tr></tbody></table>

2009-02-02 2:04 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

2009-02-02 3:06 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi manatees,

Sorry I've been a little absent the past few days - it has taken me a little more recovery than i would have guessed

I had a couple of really nice swims this weekend and so that was good for the soul - kind of like a good run for you Erin

Steve - sounds like you are coming up on a busy time!  Good luck with juggling all the schedules - you've got a great plan laid out and you will do great!  Congrats on your Peachy January!

Amy - with everything you have going on in your life, I think it's awesome if you can get in  3 workouts a week - maybe set your sites on 3 and then if you get more than that in you can feel really great about it - rather than being discouraged if you don't meet the plan -

Erin - sounds like a good plan not to have a plan right now  Glad to hear the knee is continuing to improve.  I'm doing the stick to the plan challenge - now I just need to figure out what said plan is!

John - so glad your race went well and you didn't experience any back issues - be sure to let us know when the RR is up.  The hooded sweatshirt makes it totally worth the race!

Joel - welcome back! I hope you had a good trip!  And I agree 100% with Yanti, ease back in to the workouts

Peggy - It's great to hear from you!  Glad you are getting back into the swing of things after being so under the weather.  You do have a lot on your plate, so listen to your body and that voice of reason - I know no one here will think any less of you if you need to revise some goals

2009-02-03 1:34 AM

User image

Master
Utah

Thanks, Beth. 

I am doing the February challenge, too. And, like you, I need to figure out the training plan for the month.

2009-02-03 8:45 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

i am in a quandry and what a better place to get some insights than from the Manatees.

As you all know, i completed my first 1/2 Mary a little over a week ago. 

In a moment of insanity i also registered to do a 1/2 Mary in Hyannis on Feb 22.

In the days immediately following the NYC race I had made up my mind not to do the hyannis 1/2 mary - now that i'm feeling better and more recovered - i'm second guessing that and wondering if i i can/should do this

thoughts/insights from the experience runner Manatees?

2009-02-03 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1942919

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
lastcall2003 - 2009-02-03 6:45 AM

i am in a quandry and what a better place to get some insights than from the Manatees.

As you all know, i completed my first 1/2 Mary a little over a week ago.

In a moment of insanity i also registered to do a 1/2 Mary in Hyannis on Feb 22.

In the days immediately following the NYC race I had made up my mind not to do the hyannis 1/2 mary - now that i'm feeling better and more recovered - i'm second guessing that and wondering if i i can/should do this

I think that depends a lot on why you want to do the race and what you'd hope to get out of it. If the Hyannis race would be just for fun, like you're doing it with friends or it's a race you've heard good things about, then by all means, go for it! You probably won't improve upon your NYC race, but you'll be recovered enough to have a good time and it'll probably be more relaxing than your first (and certainly warmer, yes?). But if the idea of doing another half right now is really not appealing, then I see no reason to put yourself through it and there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping the race.

So, can you do this race? Definitely. Should you? Totally depends on your reasons for doing the race.
2009-02-03 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1943600

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Fielding - 2009-02-03 2:40 PM
lastcall2003 - 2009-02-03 6:45 AM

i am in a quandry and what a better place to get some insights than from the Manatees.

As you all know, i completed my first 1/2 Mary a little over a week ago.

In a moment of insanity i also registered to do a 1/2 Mary in Hyannis on Feb 22.

I think that depends a lot on why you want to do the race and what you'd hope to get out of it. If the Hyannis race would be just for fun, like you're doing it with friends or it's a race you've heard good things about, then by all means, go for it! You probably won't improve upon your NYC race, but you'll be recovered enough to have a good time and it'll probably be more relaxing than your first (and certainly warmer, yes?). But if the idea of doing another half right now is really not appealing, then I see no reason to put yourself through it and there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping the race. So, can you do this race? Definitely. Should you? Totally depends on your reasons for doing the race.

Erin -

great insights - i've been pondering why i want to do the race - 2 reasons

1 - i signed up for it and there's that whole thing about 'not quitting' that was a part of my upbringing

2 - it would be a fun opportunity to meet lots of BT'rs

it's more about #1 than #2 to be honest

so, it's not quitting if i decide beforehand not to do it, right?

2009-02-03 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran

It looks like everyone is doing really well.  Sorry for the absence.  Work has been really busy and hectic. Sometimes I'm really not very good at balancing training and work.

I'm trying to regroup and get back into training.  I also went to the store tonight to restock and prepare food for lunches.  Eating well on the run is impossible when I don't plan.  

Congratulations to Beth and Ronen for great races.    

2009-02-03 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1939679

User image

Expert
WV
Reno8 - 2009-02-01 7:34 AM
joeseal - 2009-01-31 12:13 PM Team,

I was treated to great BBQ and I got to have grits for breakfast.

Dr. Hammer…I did not get to eat at “Jacks” BBQ (and it was just a few blocks from my hotel). I did however eat at Corkeys, Demos and the WaffleHouseJ

We treat our fine visitors to only the finest cusine and 4 Star establishments.  Southern Hospitality....you are born with it...some Yankees think it's a rash 

Glad you enjoyed your time in our little corner of the world.

Steve

So sad about Jacks.  But yeah....you are a true southerner for eating at the wafflehouse.  I remember many a late night while living in GA.  We'd stop for breakfast on our way home. 

2009-02-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1942919

User image

Expert
WV
lastcall2003 - 2009-02-03 7:45 AM

i am in a quandry and what a better place to get some insights than from the Manatees.

As you all know, i completed my first 1/2 Mary a little over a week ago. 

In a moment of insanity i also registered to do a 1/2 Mary in Hyannis on Feb 22.

I always swear I will never do that again after any true endurance activity whether it's running or multi-day backpacking.  Those feeling fade as time passes.  I then start to look forward to those things again. 

Your fitness level should not be too much of an issue.  I have done 1/2 marathon's 4-6 weeks apart we decent results.  I usually use the last few weeks of my original training plan to push the distance and then taper again.  You might improve a little due to hoepfully better running conditions.  But...then again.

If it were me, I know I would look at my long term goals for the year.  If running the race has the potential to benefit me and move me toward my goals, i.e. using it as a "fun" long run; I'd run it.  I look it as a way to do a long training run with a few hundred of my friends.   We all know how much running alone at any lenghty distance can be a challenge.  

2009-02-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1944349

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
lastcall2003 - 2009-02-03 6:11 PM

1 - i signed up for it and there's that whole thing about 'not quitting' that was a part of my upbringing

If No. 1 is the main reason, then I actually think this would be a great lesson on when it's OK to let go of something! (Heh. Although I'm only partially joking.) No, I don't think it's quitting if you make an informed decision ahead of time, which is exactly what you're doing. You've already proven to yourself that you can kick butt in a half mary, and there's no need to do it all over again if you don't want to. And it kind of sounds like you really don't want to.

I'm going through a little bit similar process right now, actually. In four weeks there's a sprint tri that I did last year. I sucked at it last year -- it was my first, and I think a bad swim really screwed up my bike and run -- and there's a part of me that's really determined to do it this year and prove that I can do it and finish strong (or stronger than last year, anyway*). But aside from the fact that I'm under-trained on the bike and swim, I kind of really don't want to do this race. So I'm now trying to decide if just not wanting to do it is a good enough reason. After thinking about your situation, I'm starting to believe that it's OK if I don't want to do this race.

*Despite the fact that I'm under-trained right now, I strongly suspect that I could still do better than last year. Or maybe I just suspect that I couldn't do any *worse* than last year, heh.
2009-02-04 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
My duathlon race report is up. I spoke a little to quick about the back being better. It has taken a few days of light to no training but now it really is better.

John

2009-02-04 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1945685

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

johnkav - 2009-02-04 3:57 PM My duathlon race report is up. I spoke a little to quick about the back being better. It has taken a few days of light to no training but now it really is better. John

Thanks for checking in John!  Glad to hear the back is better after some rest

I'm off to check out the RR!

2009-02-04 7:19 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I made a decision

from my blog, cuz I'm lazy efficient like that

i have decided to opt out of Hyannis - i just don't have it in me to do another run that long within the next 2 weeks - it's probably more mental than physical, but it's just not there

from a training and performance perspective i believe that i will be better off to drop back on the volume and rebuild up to the distance again so i feel more solid - i updated my planned training targeting the 1/2 Mary in NJ on April 19 - funny thing is that the days mapped out perfectly for the training plan - right down to the day

2009-02-04 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1945339

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Fielding - 2009-02-04 1:09 PM
lastcall2003 - 2009-02-03 6:11 PM

If No. 1 is the main reason, then I actually think this would be a great lesson on when it's OK to let go of something! (Heh. Although I'm only partially joking.) No, I don't think it's quitting if you make an informed decision ahead of time, which is exactly what you're doing. You've already proven to yourself that you can kick butt in a half mary, and there's no need to do it all over again if you don't want to. And it kind of sounds like you really don't want to. I'm going through a little bit similar process right now, actually. In four weeks there's a sprint tri that I did last year. I sucked at it last year -- it was my first, and I think a bad swim really screwed up my bike and run -- and there's a part of me that's really determined to do it this year and prove that I can do it and finish strong (or stronger than last year, anyway*). But aside from the fact that I'm under-trained on the bike and swim, I kind of really don't want to do this race. So I'm now trying to decide if just not wanting to do it is a good enough reason. After thinking about your situation, I'm starting to believe that it's OK if I don't want to do this race. *Despite the fact that I'm under-trained right now, I strongly suspect that I could still do better than last year. Or maybe I just suspect that I couldn't do any *worse* than last year, heh.

tough call Erin - I had a similar race my second season -

in the end, I decided that even though I would have done better or at least no worse, I really didn't enjoy the race venue and I just had a bad taste about the whole thing - I opted out, picked a different race and enjoyed myself immensely

to be honest, there have been a couple of times i've wondered if i should have sucked it up, but overall - i don't regret the decision

fwiw

2009-02-05 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1946121

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Good call Beth.

WTF are we doing half way down PAGE 2 of the Mantor Forum Pages.  With as much as this group usually talks how did that happen?

Steve

2009-02-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1948001

User image

Melon Presser
Reno8 - 2009-02-05 4:40 PM

Good call Beth.

WTF are we doing half way down PAGE 2 of the Mantor Forum Pages.  With as much as this group usually talks how did that happen?

Steve

GUILTY!!!

I've been sitting on my hands and howling this last week. So sorry to have dropped the ball on the fine Manatees!

*scurrying to read back through posts and respond appropriately*

2009-02-05 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area

Team,

Sorry to have been somewhat awol. Rough times. Thanks for checking Beth, Ronen.

2009-02-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1948264

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
joeseal - 2009-02-05 10:14 PM

Team,

Sorry to have been somewhat awol. Rough times. Thanks for checking Beth, Ronen.

Joel

sorry to hear you have been going through some rough times

we are here for you, whatever you feel comfortable sharing

take care

2009-02-06 8:47 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Manatees!

I just had to share - I ran my fasted 3 miles ever in my life yesterday

i actually even 'felt' like a runner, i think that's the first time i can actually say that

what does everyone have on tap this weekend? 

2009-02-06 11:28 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

where is everyone?

Hellloooooo????????????? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  

of 31