BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3314319

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
TriAya - 2011-01-21 5:29 PM Blech. I hate the phrase 'weight loss' but that's just my personal pet peeve

Truth is, I'd like to be in on the challenge too. I'm still slim now but have flabbed out because, well, shoot, I haven't 'really' trained since ... September.

Also, I think I said one of my goals--which for me is actually easier with a reduced training load--is to get to an optimal RACING weight, not just to be slim and look good.

So. All that blather was to say I'm in for the Mad Manatee HEALTH BUILDING challenge. Let's see who else is in and then we can actually put a structure to it.

What you said! I so much agree- and am glad we dont have to post numbers because I wouldn't anywayTongue out

2011-01-21 11:45 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Yep I'm in, am thinking a bit lighter for my tri in March would be good.. and I'm about to take my offspring on holiday this week (on a plane, to a different city/island..wish me luck) which will no doubt involve endless eating out, pizza and goodies... (not goody for my thighs.. :P)
MelyssaTongue out
2011-01-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3312768

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
3.5 hours on the Computrainer last night.  Can you say, "Wake up call"?
2011-01-22 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3314955

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
pga_mike - 2011-01-22 8:31 AM 3.5 hours on the Computrainer last night.  Can you say, "Wake up call"?[/QUOT

wow! how did you do it and not lose your mind?
2011-01-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3314997

User image

Champion
bluwatersoul - 2011-01-22 9:06 AM
pga_mike - 2011-01-22 8:31 AM 3.5 hours on the Computrainer last night.  Can you say, "Wake up call"?[/QUOT

wow! how did you do it and not lose your mind?

A) First time on computrainer.  Rode a single loop on CdA.
B) Rode with a friend.
3) I don't have mind to lose.
2011-01-22 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
I'm in on whatever is decided on the health challenge since I have some goals on getting to racing weight (plus I don't want to worry about weight loss once serious trianing starts).

Now I just have to decide what I'll do today.  Nice today - 47 currently, 52 forecast - 90 minute base bike due per plan.  Just can't decide to try some winter road riding outside (I have the right clothing) or just get back on trainer and watch some show.  Love to get outside since it is dry and sunny, but roads covered with pea gravel from the ice storm Wednesday night.  Could do some trail riding on the MB or maybe a long run outside today instead of tomorrow; however, knees a little sore from dancing several hours last night and they get naggy when ridinig off-road or running.  I'm also considering just heading to Colorado Springs for an hour swim, some work work, and the Tri clinic.  Oh yea - still need to get started on my winter strength program (not planed or loaded yet).

Darn decisions.  Never this hard to decide when doing 1 sport.  Used to be go play racquetball or go drill on skills and that decision was typically determined on who was at the courts when I showed up.

2011-01-22 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3314319

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-01-21 5:29 PM Blech. I hate the phrase 'weight loss' but that's just my personal pet peeve

Truth is, I'd like to be in on the challenge too. I'm still slim now but have flabbed out because, well, shoot, I haven't 'really' trained since ... September.

Also, I think I said one of my goals--which for me is actually easier with a reduced training load--is to get to an optimal RACING weight, not just to be slim and look good.

So. All that blather was to say I'm in for the Mad Manatee HEALTH BUILDING challenge. Let's see who else is in and then we can actually put a structure to it.

I'm good with any ol' name - if my six year-old was naming the challenge she would call it the Mad Manatee Pickle challenge.  Well, I'm just saying when you have a six year-old obsessed with pickles and ask them to name something, then you get what you ask for.  I'm ready to start ASAP, as girl scout cookies are out on the streets and I'm in trouble!

On a different note, I had my first swim lesson today.  It was wonderful.  I think she did things for me in a 1/2 hour that would have taken me over 6 months (and that is being generous) to accomplish - and I still have 3 more lessons to go!  It was the first time I felt like I was actually moving through the water, instead of just feeling like my arms were going round and round and I wasn't moving.   

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! 
2011-01-22 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Good luck Lynn on your half-marathon tomorrow!  Make sure to tell us all about it.

2011-01-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3315388

User image

Master
Vista, CA

lounav - 2011-01-22 1:02 PM

I'm good with any ol' name - if my six year-old was naming the challenge she would call it the Mad Manatee Pickle challenge.  Well, I'm just saying when you have a six year-old obsessed with pickles and ask them to name something, then you get what you ask for.  I'm ready to start ASAP, as girl scout cookies are out on the streets and I'm in trouble!

On a different note, I had my first swim lesson today.  It was wonderful.  I think she did things for me in a 1/2 hour that would have taken me over 6 months (and that is being generous) to accomplish - and I still have 3 more lessons to go!  It was the first time I felt like I was actually moving through the water, instead of just feeling like my arms were going round and round and I wasn't moving.   

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! 

YEAH!!! Great news about the swim lesson. I'd be interested to know what she said/recommended. How wonderful to feel like you're moving through the water. And, thanks for the well wishes for tomorrow. I'm just going to have a nice easy supported run. It will be my 3rd time doing this 1/2 mary. It was my first one ever and that was 4 years ago.

Hope you are all having a fantastic weekend.

Here's a Youtube with Lance Armstrong's swim stroke dissected by the swim smooth coach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-pgQ-gpmNk

2011-01-22 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Well...  Went to the free tri clinic today, but ended up buying a bike.  Should have stayed home, but the deal on the Cervelo S2 was a deal I could not pass up.  Great middle of the road bike that can be set-up for Triathlon or Road Racing and something I've had my eye on for some time.  Saw the pricing on the 2010 model, and talked to the sales person about it and found out they were dropping their dealership for Cervelo, so the 2010 models were going for cost.  The 2011 were going to be moved to another store / branch in Denver, so no deal on them.

Glad my company stock is up - going to need to sell some more.

2011-01-22 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3315896

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
mackjenn - 2011-01-22 10:36 PM

Well...  Went to the free tri clinic today, but ended up buying a bike.  Should have stayed home, but the deal on the Cervelo S2 was a deal I could not pass up.  Great middle of the road bike that can be set-up for Triathlon or Road Racing and something I've had my eye on for some time.  Saw the pricing on the 2010 model, and talked to the sales person about it and found out they were dropping their dealership for Cervelo, so the 2010 models were going for cost.  The 2011 were going to be moved to another store / branch in Denver, so no deal on them.

LOL@you who bought a bike.  Was that an early reward to yourself?

2011-01-23 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
I will be in O-Town for a week for a trade show.

Without a bike.

My plan is to run my butt off for at least 5 of the next 8 days.  Watch my log.
2011-01-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3315896

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY

WHAT? LOLOLOL

Good for you though - I am jealous! I could not do that regardless of what the deal was at this point.

I feel like its going to be years before I can get back outside and cycle,its is BRICK out there!
2011-01-23 1:32 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
2011-01-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3316129

User image

Master
Vista, CA

pga_mike - 2011-01-23 6:56 AM I will be in O-Town for a week for a trade show.

Without a bike.

My plan is to run my butt off for at least 5 of the next 8 days.  Watch my log.

Go MIKE Go!! O-town? Orlando? Have fun and enjoy your runs. I'll check your logs to make sure you're not skipping out!

2011-01-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3315927

User image

Master
Vista, CA

iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-22 9:30 PM

LOL@you who bought a bike.  Was that an early reward to yourself?

Congrats on the bike purchase...photo?

2011-01-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3316436

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Dag-nabbit.  I thought the dogs and personal guards were enough to keep people off my property - somebody is going to be fed to the dogs.  I used to have 7 coconuts - did you take one?

Anyway, next time call first and we can do some swim training.

Edited by mackjenn 2011-01-23 10:49 PM
2011-01-23 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Hey Mad Manatees! Just caught-up with the recent posts. You guys have been working hard!

Pga Mike - You are a training machine!

Yanti and Pga Mike - Thanks for the advice on how long it will take to get used to new stroke revisions. It is kicking my rear, but the second time it wasn't as hard. Here's hoping that it continues to get easier. My problem with this new stroke is that it tires me out, and then my form falls apart entirely. Your suggestions to work on form during warm up , and at the end of a set were invaluable. Thanks again.

Everyone - I'm totally in on the "health building" or "weight loss" challenge. I've been losing weight since July and unfortunately I've hit a plateau, so maybe this will be yet another thing to motivate me. I will not post weight, but I will post measurements. I agree with Yanti that I don't want to lose weight to look good, per se, but I want to lose weight so that I can be healthy, reduce chance for injuries while training/competing and to enhance my performance. I want to be faster!

Music - Purchased a SwiMP3 and I love listening to it while swimming. There are some serious issues with the design, function and ease of use of the unit - but it does what it says it will do once you learn how to really use it - I recommend going on Amazon and reading the reviews....people complain about the same things and others chime in to help them out. I'm looking forward to Finis listening to consumer feedback and designing the next generation a LOT better. As far as tunes go - I LOVE listening to The Crystal Method when I swim. Up tempo, electronica, jamtronica are the types of music I like to listen to when training. When running I will listen to Particle's CD "Launchpad" the soundtrack to "Run Lola, Run," and anything by Sigur Ros. Finally, I try to keep my iPod turned fairly low when I'm running so I can hear if anyone's getting ready to barrel into me. I NEVER have anything in my ears while I'm on the bike. Waaayyy too paranoid for that. The drivers around these parts of the woods are notorious for hating cyclists so I take every precaution I can. Darned rednecks! Oh wait, I guess I'm a redneck. Oh well.....

2011-01-24 11:23 AM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Hey all, hope everyone is having a good day.  Saw this and thought I would share. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0aa94vvYg

I liked the music and thought it went well with the vid. 

And I didn't want to see us on page 2. Tongue out

Edited by cggale 2011-01-24 11:25 AM
2011-01-24 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Hey everyone!  Hope you all had a great weekend!

I was all excited to start my new training plan today, so I look at the sheet, and for Monday it says "Rest Day" - HA!  But I guess it's just as well since I plan on being at work late tonight.  Argh.  Oh well - I'm just grateful that my whole family is well enough for me to even be at work this week.  So, guess I can't complain too much. 

As far as our Manatee Health Challenge with Pickles, or whatever we wanna call it (hehe) - there is a Tri'ing for Weightloss thread on BT that is having a 15 pounds in 15 weeks thing - it started a few weeks ago - but I'm tracking actual numbers there because they have a google spreadsheet.  I had my weight numbers for the previous weeks because I was doing a Biggest Loser challenge with my local mommies group (I was not the Biggest Loser).  Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there if any of y'all were interested.

2011-01-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3315927

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Yes - early reward, but now I have to meet the goals.

Think I'm ok on the training plan (so far based on plan and activities - it is implemented and I can do it before work), but need to hit that run speed (3 miles sub 24 minutes).  7.5 mph is something I've been doing on intervals (that and faster), so I may be able to hit it this week.  Perhaps since tonight is an off day...

2011-01-24 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Phew!  I was freaking out and thought the group disappeared because it moved to Page 2 of the threads!  Don't do that.ever.again.  hehe 
2011-01-24 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Hi Manatees!

I hate Mondays.

'tis all.
2011-01-24 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I'm just going to throw some ideas out for the Mad Manatee Health Challenge just to try and get the ball rolling!  Perhaps we could have a check-in day (maybe Monday, since they always seem to be a little slow around here) and everyone playing can check-in on their progress.  We could start an initial list of who's in and what their goals are - and each person could express their goals in any way they want (i.e. weight, inches, trying to eliminate something from their diet/life, body fat, clothing size, trying to add something healthy to their diet/life, etc.)  At check-in time people can let us know how they are doing and where they could use support.  Just ideas, too structured?, not enough structure?  Anyone have other ideas or things that have worked in the past?

2011-01-24 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I am just catching up.  I went swimming this weekend and my swim buddy was able to pick right out what I am doing wrong with my arms and put in such I way I understand.  I am picking up some of those rectangle training paddles to help me out.  I am starting with private lessons for the next couple of weeks before true tri training begins. 

I need to rant.  You don't have to read.  I just have to vent. 

I have been doing WW since just after Thanksgiving and I have now lost and regained the same 2lbs since Dec. 13.  I am pretty disgusted.  Part of me knows its stress holding on to that weight, the other part of me wants to say F-it and give me some dang chocolate.  I am so upset.  I've done EVERYTHING right.  I don't cheat.  This is the 4th time that I have returned to Weight Watchers and this has happened.  Since I added training into my lifestyle, my weight doesn't budge.  When I initially lost weight 5 years ago, it was before I ever did my 1st event.   I sat on my skinny a$$ to do it.  Exercise is bad for my weight loss.  My weight shot up when I started tri training and has been stuck there ever since. I am exactly where I was before I became a lifetime member at WW.  My  body is very attached to those 27lbs.** Opinions here are not endorsed by anyone else but me (my disclaimer so others don't think I am the norm) I am an anomaly.  Its so sad. I frustrate every leader I've ever had.  They don't know what to do with me. They tell me to eat more and I gain, they tell me to eat less and I gain, they telll me to eat just enough and I gain.  This stinks!!!!!!  Maybe I need to try a fad diet or pills.  Doing the healthy stuff doesn't work for me.  I am so anal about nutrition, organic, whole foods, clean eating, balancing protein, etc... If weight loss was based on knowledge or effort, I'd be a size 0.  AAAAAARrrRRGGGHHH!!!!  I will keep going back because my daughter has now lost 26lbs since T-giving and I am incredibly proud of her.  I want her metabolism and I am so proud of her.  I want her to keep the momentum going.  I just need to find something that is going to work for me, aside from a less stressful job which I think is truly the reason my body holds the weight.   

Rant over. 

Edited by jogo 2011-01-24 7:51 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38