BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-06-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

Hey Manatees!

LYNN did a half-marathon this last weekend--crazy girl, CONGRATS!!!

It was a great tune-up in the run-up to her IRONMAN

2011-06-08 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3539095

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Garlic pam to keep the vampires away and the cute piglets close by. And to keep you nice and slippery Tongue out Awesome advice! My PR is hopefully getting erased in the very next race!! Thanks for the congrats. I finally finished the race report. It's up if you want all the gory details.

Yay Lynn-1/2 mary for training...eek! I am so in awe of you IM folk. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE !! I was pretty overwhelmed with my pretty little OLY.

Well back to work now. My rest and recovery days are behind me and now I'm focused on the next one -cheers all!

Holly

2011-06-08 4:17 PM

User image

Seattle

Holly, I am reading your race report right now and am loving your use of the word "shizzle" right of the bat. 

2011-06-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3539557

User image

Master
Vista, CA
CONGRATS HOLLY!! You rocked it girl!

2011-06-09 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3539893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Hello manatees -

As as fellow manatee I just thought I would pop in and say "hi!"  Manatees are a wonderful group of people and I hope everyone has a great time training and racing this summer

2011-06-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3541175

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2011-06-10 3:23 AM

Hello manatees -

As as fellow manatee I just thought I would pop in and say "hi!"  Manatees are a wonderful group of people and I hope everyone has a great time training and racing this summer

RY RY!!!!!

Well it is you who has given us our first "grand-manateelets" I see they are all swimming along very nicely. Both Lynn and I (yes, I just still always assume she agrees with me in everything, ha ha ha!) do miss you and All very much, though.

Oooh! I forgot I was supposed to get back to you on some site technical issues! Whoops.

2011-06-09 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Sooo....have I really been on BT this long, and am just now catching the pattern that people drink beer after these things????  I totally didn't drink a beer after mine - I ate a crap load of beef jerky.  I don't really like beer - so do I hafta?!  LOL
2011-06-10 3:27 PM

User image

Seattle

I just finished writing my training plan for the summer (it starts after next weekends race.)

I am really excited about it! I appreciate all of the input I have gotten and feel I have successfully incorporated a marathon plan simultaneous with tri training. It's hand written so I can't really share it but it will be well documented in the logs here so if it works out you can follow it and if it doesn't and I bonk the marathon, well, you can point and laugh! Cool

Have a great weekend you all and yes, beer is a fantastic recovery meal! 

2011-06-11 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3543135

User image

Dallas, TX

Today was day one of my marathon training program.  I joined a training group at one of the running stores.  The Dallas White Rock marathon is the same date as the Las Vegas Rock and Roll (the half I am going to do) so the schedule works perfectly.  In either a genius or crazy move, I signed up for the full training program instead of the half.  I had already panicking about not running 13 miles by the end of the program, so that is why I am doing the full program.  My plan is when the runs get really long, I can cut them short if I need to.  But I will at least do 13 miles before December.  

One thing I did not fully investigate before signing up was the meeting time.  Ready to run at 6 amSurprised  I guess it will be worth it to have temps under 90 degrees (at least at the start of the run).  We did a 3 mile run so they could put us in pace groups.  I told myself that I was not going to push myself, but I obviously have no idea of pace and ended up running much faster than usual.  I also don't like letting people pass me.  So hopefully I did not screw myself and get in a pace group faster than I want to be.

Overall it was fun, there are about 80 people in the program and at least 35 coaches.  After they had a crossfit type workout, which I stayed and did since there was free breakfast after!  

2011-06-12 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
I rode my first (Canadian) Century ride today!!   100klms! woooohooo!
2011-06-12 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3544157

User image

Veteran
Austin
kussmaul - 2011-06-11 7:58 PM

Today was day one of my marathon training program.  I joined a training group at one of the running stores.  The Dallas White Rock marathon is the same date as the Las Vegas Rock and Roll (the half I am going to do) so the schedule works perfectly.  In either a genius or crazy move, I signed up for the full training program instead of the half.  I had already panicking about not running 13 miles by the end of the program, so that is why I am doing the full program.  My plan is when the runs get really long, I can cut them short if I need to.  But I will at least do 13 miles before December.  

One thing I did not fully investigate before signing up was the meeting time.  Ready to run at 6 amSurprised  I guess it will be worth it to have temps under 90 degrees (at least at the start of the run).  We did a 3 mile run so they could put us in pace groups.  I told myself that I was not going to push myself, but I obviously have no idea of pace and ended up running much faster than usual.  I also don't like letting people pass me.  So hopefully I did not screw myself and get in a pace group faster than I want to be.

Overall it was fun, there are about 80 people in the program and at least 35 coaches.  After they had a crossfit type workout, which I stayed and did since there was free breakfast after!  

That sounds like a great way to get ready for your 1/2.  And really, running at 6 is about the only way to not melt in this heat.  Hope it goes well!

2011-06-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3545169

User image

Master
Vista, CA
lounav - 2011-06-12 5:36 PM
kussmaul - 2011-06-11 7:58 PM

That sounds like a great way to get ready for your 1/2.  And really, running at 6 is about the only way to not melt in this heat.  Hope it goes well!

Congrats on your commitment to a marathon. It's a big deal. You'll get used to the 6 a.m. wake up call and maybe even look forward to it.
2011-06-13 7:47 AM

User image

Hi all,

I completed my sprint tri yesterday!  It went relatively well.  I was hoping to improve my time this year but ended up about the same as last year. 2 hours 2 minutes.   I am planning on writing up a race report when my daughter goes down for a nap to fill everyone in.   The swim portion killed me--all my training went down the tubes--and I felt like I was floundering in the water.  Bike and run went well.  My knees and calves are really hurting today.  I have foam rolled, iced, etc.  Next stop is to the chiropractor to get adjusted back into shape.  Thanks for all the support already this season.  I am looking into signing up for another sprint in July.  Hopefully I can redeem myself in the swim....

2011-06-13 8:28 AM

User image

Here is a link to my race report.  I hope it works:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256258

2011-06-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3545745

User image

Melon Presser
christina322 - 2011-06-13 10:28 PM

There, I linkied it for ya. CONGRATULATIONS and I will read soon!

2011-06-13 9:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I had a pretty exciting weekend myself--the only way I can describe it is that it was like running a half-marathon carrying a large (arms encircled) bucket of water while sucking on 10 cigarettes at a time the whole time.

^^^Not that I've ever done this, but that's what it was like and pretty much how I feel today. Not sore at all, though!!! Just crazy tired and like I have a horrible cold, keep hacking up brown-grey stuff (yum).

Better feeling than any race I've ever finished, though.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256080&posts=15&start=1

2011-06-13 12:38 PM

User image

Okay, so I'm back and checking in with the Pod. I took off and went hiking on the Appalachian Trail for a few weeks cause a snowy off-season in a ski town can be a miserable thing.  Been back for over a week, but waited to check in here until I got a full week of training under my belt; had to see that I would be able to get back into the swing of things.  Fortunately (?), the Appalachian Trail is routed up pretty much every mountain along the way and then down every valley (repeat, ad infinitum, or to Maine anyway) so my fitness didn't falter as badly as I feared it would.  Just gotta get acclimated to the altitude again and it'll be like I never left.

I'm sure it's not the wise thing to do, but I'm trying to pick up the training schedule where I would be now if I hadn't left (partly cause my first race is coming up too quickly and partly cause I didn't know how to recalibrate the training log) instead of where I was when I left and hoping that I'll recognize if I get in over my head.  But... so far, so good.

P.S.  I've read through the pages and there've been way too many accomplishments during my absence to possibly catch up, so to all you who have raced in the last month, a big Congrats, triathletes.

2011-06-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3545973

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-06-13 9:46 AM

I had a pretty exciting weekend myself--the only way I can describe it is that it was like running a half-marathon carrying a large (arms encircled) bucket of water while sucking on 10 cigarettes at a time the whole time.

^^^Not that I've ever done this, but that's what it was like and pretty much how I feel today. Not sore at all, though!!! Just crazy tired and like I have a horrible cold, keep hacking up brown-grey stuff (yum).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256080&posts=15&start=1

OMG! That crazy! Good work though! Sheesh!

2011-06-13 1:19 PM

User image

Yup, that does sound exciting, and a hulluva workout.  Under what category does one log that?

Glad you're mostly well (minus the grey-brown stuff).  Shame about all those pregnant guys.

2011-06-13 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Hey everyone - thanks much for the well wishes and inquiries on the Escape Tri.  It was EXCELLENT!!!

The week after for vacation was also great (my 3 girls, my girlfriend, and her 2 boys in a 12 passenger van (with all my race stuff) for a week).  Drove 3600 miles and nobody got strangled.  Also missed the fires in AZ as well as Southern CO (would have hit the interstate closure if I did not drive back from LA in one day - managed to get through less than 8 hours before I-25 was closed).  17 hour drive was long, but nice to sleep in my own bed again.

Quick summary on the race:  Fun.  Swim was very good (37 minutes for 1.5 miles) even though I was off-course (had to swim last bit somewhat up-current and then ended up running the beach for about 25 yards).  Was strong on the bike and passed many going up-hill, but was also passed by others.  VERY HILLY, but was prepared and just enjoyed the experience.  Drop from Colorado heights to sea-level paid off.   Run was also long with several step climbs, a ~1 mile run on the beach (both loose and packed sand), and lots of trail running (no passing and traffic in both directions). 

I planned on 3 hours and 15 minutes plus transitions.  I hit 3:22 including transitions (~10 minutes on first, 4 on second).  Full race report will be up in about 30 minutes.

Take care all!!!  Going to be traveling again this week - which has killed the training (and I have the Boulder 5430 this weekend).

2011-06-13 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3545745

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
christina322 - 2011-06-13 8:28 AM

Christina, awesome job in your triathlon!!!  Swimming always gets me too.  I always seem to flounder around in the water never really getting a good rhythm.  A work in progress right?  You'll get better.    You got until July to channel your inner manatee and rock that swim.  

2011-06-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3546463

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Lag - 2011-06-13 12:38 PM

Okay, so I'm back and checking in with the Pod. I took off and went hiking on the Appalachian Trail for a few weeks cause a snowy off-season in a ski town can be a miserable thing.  Been back for over a week, but waited to check in here until I got a full week of training under my belt; had to see that I would be able to get back into the swing of things.  Fortunately (?), the Appalachian Trail is routed up pretty much every mountain along the way and then down every valley (repeat, ad infinitum, or to Maine anyway) so my fitness didn't falter as badly as I feared it would.  Just gotta get acclimated to the altitude again and it'll be like I never left.

I'm sure it's not the wise thing to do, but I'm trying to pick up the training schedule where I would be now if I hadn't left (partly cause my first race is coming up too quickly and partly cause I didn't know how to recalibrate the training log) instead of where I was when I left and hoping that I'll recognize if I get in over my head.  But... so far, so good.

P.S.  I've read through the pages and there've been way too many accomplishments during my absence to possibly catch up, so to all you who have raced in the last month, a big Congrats, triathletes.

Welcome back Lag.  Wow!!!  Sounds like a great trip you had hiking the Appalachian trail...neat!!

Now go train.  Wink

2011-06-13 2:24 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Yanti, wow that is amazing!!! Rest and take care of yourself!!

2011-06-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3546605

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
mackjenn - 2011-06-13 1:25 PM

Hey everyone - thanks much for the well wishes and inquiries on the Escape Tri.  It was EXCELLENT!!!

The week after for vacation was also great (my 3 girls, my girlfriend, and her 2 boys in a 12 passenger van (with all my race stuff) for a week).  Drove 3600 miles and nobody got strangled.  Also missed the fires in AZ as well as Southern CO (would have hit the interstate closure if I did not drive back from LA in one day - managed to get through less than 8 hours before I-25 was closed).  17 hour drive was long, but nice to sleep in my own bed again.

Quick summary on the race:  Fun.  Swim was very good (37 minutes for 1.5 miles) even though I was off-course (had to swim last bit somewhat up-current and then ended up running the beach for about 25 yards).  Was strong on the bike and passed many going up-hill, but was also passed by others.  VERY HILLY, but was prepared and just enjoyed the experience.  Drop from Colorado heights to sea-level paid off.   Run was also long with several step climbs, a ~1 mile run on the beach (both loose and packed sand), and lots of trail running (no passing and traffic in both directions). 

I planned on 3 hours and 15 minutes plus transitions.  I hit 3:22 including transitions (~10 minutes on first, 4 on second).  Full race report will be up in about 30 minutes.

Take care all!!!  Going to be traveling again this week - which has killed the training (and I have the Boulder 5430 this weekend).

WAY TO GO JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job on the tri.  You worked soooo hard and it paid off!!  CONGRATS!!  

2011-06-13 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3545651

User image

Veteran
Austin
christina322 - 2011-06-13 7:47 AM

Hi all,

I completed my sprint tri yesterday!  It went relatively well.  I was hoping to improve my time this year but ended up about the same as last year. 2 hours 2 minutes.   I am planning on writing up a race report when my daughter goes down for a nap to fill everyone in.   The swim portion killed me--all my training went down the tubes--and I felt like I was floundering in the water.  Bike and run went well.  My knees and calves are really hurting today.  I have foam rolled, iced, etc.  Next stop is to the chiropractor to get adjusted back into shape.  Thanks for all the support already this season.  I am looking into signing up for another sprint in July.  Hopefully I can redeem myself in the swim....

Way to go Christina!!  Your swim sounds a lot like mine started.  It killed me to freak out and feel like all the training was for nothing.  Then after I was able to think about it more, I started to realize that I had the right training, but I was still lacking confidence and my mind did me in.  So, hopefully when you race in July you will have already put the freaking out behind you and will just be able to use the swimming skills you have worked hard for, because you deserve a good swim!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43