BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2012-01-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED
thanks ladies! appreciate it Smile

2012-01-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3970862

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-01-05 2:59 AM
Hollz - 2012-01-04 11:58 AM

Adrienne, Good luck with the ragnar in miami and down the keys. I think this sounds like a most amazing challenge and wonderful experience. Enjoy!

Need a sherpa? Wink

Haha, yes, want to come? We are actually down a runner so I'll be helping take additional mileage. 

The chances of sunburn for my pale Seattle skin are exponentially increasing. 

I think she was offering up her husband the super-sherpa. I mean, I wouldn't haul my own butt around, frying in the sun for two days chasing and serving cranky runners ... okay, well, for you, I would. But only because you're cute.

If you find a sunblock that works, let me know. (The only thing I haven't tried is Bullfrog, but that's because we can't get it here).

2012-01-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3970903

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-01-04 1:16 PM

Adrienne, Good luck with the ragnar in miami and down the keys. I think this sounds like a most amazing challenge and wonderful experience. Enjoy!

Need a sherpa? Wink

Haha, yes, want to come? We are actually down a runner so I'll be helping take additional mileage. 

I think she was offering up her husband the super-sherpa. I mean, I wouldn't haul my own butt around, frying in the sun for two days chasing and serving cranky runners ... okay, well, for you, I would. But only because you're cute.

If you find a sunblock that works, let me know. (The only thing I haven't tried is Bullfrog, but that's because we can't get it here).

I'll tell ya...none of them really work all that well. It's all about the application every hour. Oh yeah, and straight from my pharmacist cousin, "there is no such thing as waterproof sunscreen" so don't rely on that. Bullfrog isn't bad but I hate how it smells and it has this strange oily-yet-grainy texture that I don't like. I prefer the spray sunscreen since I seem to have better luck with even application.

I have this really coulhavebeenhotbutleansmoretothetragicside photo of my first trip to Hawaii. I have no clothes on because I COULD NOT wear them and my whole body is scorched except some really, really crappy hand prints where I, for some reason, thought the sunscreen would magically and evenly spread. Yep, a true brain child right here.    

2012-01-04 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3969924

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jogo - 2012-01-04 4:23 AM

I went to an exercise conference yesterday that was given by one of our cardiac research PhD's.  Latest data shows that the #1 cause of heart related death is from sitting jobs/primarily sitting all day.  This statistic is not influenced by leisure time training at a gym, not even marathon training.  It is all related to how you spend the majority of your day.  I am going to keep track of how many minutes I actually sit on my fat a$$ today.  I think it will be shocking.  I have a primary sitting job and what do I do when I get home, if I am not working out, I sit.  What do I do in the evening after the dishes are washed and the laundry is done, I sit.  I am pretty sure that I sit more than anything.  Time to make some lifestyle changes!!

Sitting trumped smoking and obesity.  Wow!

Yes, good info. Did he talk about NEAT -- non-exercise activity thermogenesis --? That's what that is. Just moving more regularly. Good for you. 

2012-01-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3970055

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ukweeble - 2012-01-04 5:45 AM

I am on week 6 of my plan, but this morning i realised that i had looked at week 7 when i was checking out the times/distances i needed to run etc. for Monday and Tues.

I found that i was able to do the distances so should i just keep going at week 7 pace or should i wind it back as i have only done two days.

Still off the cigarettes and have now joined the gym so i can keep training in the bad weather. Things are going  really well at the moment and i cant wait for the swim & run this afternoon.

Congrats on your continued progress and commitment!! Times three on the listen to the body...if you feel good, however, go for it!

2012-01-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3970718

User image

England

Hollz

I have been completely off training and pretty much off life for the last 3 months. Had a bad family tragedy and I am just trying to piece things back together. Smoking again....drat-soon to quit again....drat. Counseling and soul searching and figuring out how to go forward have been a big part of the last couple months. I went from being one of those people that felt so very blessed to the exact opposite in one fell swoop. I am working on it daily and it's tough.

Know exactly how you feel. If you need to sound off feel free to PM me or on the main forum. I will feel your pain/ frustration with you. Quitting is horrible but just focus on the gain.

2012-01-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3970903

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
TriAya - 2012-01-04 12:16 PM

Need a sherpa? Wink

Heckno-I meant ME!!! I would totally hang out - sherpa - run 5k leg (in the early morning, perhaps?)  to be there near the sand and surf. ahhh yes. I would spray you with sunblock as you ran on by with encouraging words, whilst sipping my pina colada. Sounds like a dream job to me!!.

2012-01-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3971125

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
ukweeble - 2012-01-04 1:35 PM

Hollz

I have been completely off training and pretty much off life for the last 3 months. Had a bad family tragedy and I am just trying to piece things back together. Smoking again....drat-soon to quit again....drat. Counseling and soul searching and figuring out how to go forward have been a big part of the last couple months. I went from being one of those people that felt so very blessed to the exact opposite in one fell swoop. I am working on it daily and it's tough.

Know exactly how you feel. If you need to sound off feel free to PM me or on the main forum. I will feel your pain/ frustration with you. Quitting is horrible but just focus on the gain.

Thanks Allen. I have done it before and will surely do it again. I feel your pain with it-it is a TOUGH one! Keep on carrying on-you are doing such a great job! p.s. I hope you don't change your avatar...love the frog prince.

2012-01-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3971162

User image

Seattle
Hollz - 2012-01-04 2:50 PM
TriAya - 2012-01-04 12:16 PM

Need a sherpa? Wink

Heckno-I meant ME!!! I would totally hang out - sherpa - run 5k leg (in the early morning, perhaps?)  to be there near the sand and surf. ahhh yes. I would spray you with sunblock as you ran on by with encouraging words, whilst sipping my pina colada. Sounds like a dream job to me!!.

and you sound like a dream sherpa! Mmmm pina colada...I am probably going to need something boozy so I can get some sleep on the plane tonight. 

2012-01-04 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Heck, if I could get away from real-life stuff, I would totally want to be a sherpa for you too! Stupid real life!

Just finished an 18 mile ride--It was supposed to only be 17, but unfortunately, I listened to my brain (my pitifully math-challenged brain!) and THOUGHT I had only done 17--then I mapped out the route here on BT and found that I had done an extra mile...oh well--my aim was for 1 hour 15 minutes, but I finished in 1 hour 20--I guess the last mile was that extra 5 minutes... Now to spend the rest of my day catching up on taped shows, doing laundry, and enjoying life! 

2012-01-04 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3971018

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
lmscozz - 2012-01-04 2:57 PM

I went to an exercise conference yesterday that was given by one of our cardiac research PhD's.  Latest data shows that the #1 cause of heart related death is from sitting jobs/primarily sitting all day.  This statistic is not influenced by leisure time training at a gym, not even marathon training.  It is all related to how you spend the majority of your day.  I am going to keep track of how many minutes I actually sit on my fat a$$ today.  I think it will be shocking.  I have a primary sitting job and what do I do when I get home, if I am not working out, I sit.  What do I do in the evening after the dishes are washed and the laundry is done, I sit.  I am pretty sure that I sit more than anything.  Time to make some lifestyle changes!!

Yes, good info. Did he talk about NEAT -- non-exercise activity thermogenesis --? That's what that is. Just moving more regularly. Good for you. 

He didn't talk about NEAT but he did send me the article from the journal it was published in that covered NEAT.  I made an effort to stand a lot today when I didn't need to sit.  I also tracked my minutes sitting.  I want to see if I can lower those.  I challenged my employees to come up with ways to move at their desk.  So today, I stood a lot when reading and when talking on the phone.  I sat if I typed, was at meetings, ate, or obviously driving.  I tried to email less and call less and walk to people's offices as an excuse to move.  I stood until meetings started.   Baby steps.  

2012-01-04 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm never sure if I should include my warm up and cool downs in my training log.  For example, today I logged my bike workout as 50min and total mileage, when the main workout was 30 min.  What does everyone else do?
2012-01-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3971487

User image

Melon Presser

Honey~Badger - 2012-01-05 7:52 AM I'm never sure if I should include my warm up and cool downs in my training log.  For example, today I logged my bike workout as 50min and total mileage, when the main workout was 30 min.  What does everyone else do?

Your body knows that it moved for 50 minutes, so I'd log that. Some folks write in the notes section about WU/CD or main.

2012-01-04 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Generally, I will put the warm up and cool down together as one 'workout' and then the main part of my actual workout as another workout--however, I will not include distance on the warmup/cool down workout--just the time spent on it. That is, when I remember to actually keep track of it...
2012-01-04 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3971475

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jogo - 2012-01-04 3:38 PM
lmscozz - 2012-01-04 2:57 PM

He didn't talk about NEAT but he did send me the article from the journal it was published in that covered NEAT.  I made an effort to stand a lot today when I didn't need to sit.  I also tracked my minutes sitting.  I want to see if I can lower those.  I challenged my employees to come up with ways to move at their desk.  So today, I stood a lot when reading and when talking on the phone.  I sat if I typed, was at meetings, ate, or obviously driving.  I tried to email less and call less and walk to people's offices as an excuse to move.  I stood until meetings started.   Baby steps.  

Great!!

Edited by lmscozz 2012-01-04 7:40 PM
2012-01-04 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3971590

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kgore - 2012-01-04 5:00 PM Generally, I will put the warm up and cool down together as one 'workout' and then the main part of my actual workout as another workout--however, I will not include distance on the warmup/cool down workout--just the time spent on it. That is, when I remember to actually keep track of it...

Sounds like a plan. Logging will become a habit. When I first started doing it, I would look forward to writing it in and watching the graph on the side rise. We'll keep you reminded.

2012-01-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3971169

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hollz - 2012-01-04 12:53 PM
ukweeble - 2012-01-04 1:35 PM

Hollz

Thanks Allen. I have done it before and will surely do it again. I feel your pain with it-it is a TOUGH one! Keep on carrying on-you are doing such a great job! p.s. I hope you don't change your avatar...love the frog prince.

You two ROCK!!!  Both of you....doing a great job!

2012-01-04 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

Hi All!!

If you like peanut butter - try the new GU flavor it's peanut butter and it actually is pretty darn good.  No caffine...so I had it before my 90 min run tonight. 

Did my run on the treadmill ...and counted my 5 min walk warm up in my minutes.   My prior coach always told me include my 5 min walk in my time - you are still doing it - it's time and it counts.

I am still a bit sore from the 1/2 marathon this weekend - the plan was for 60 min easy pace, 15 min marathon pace, 15 min easy. Whew!  11 days until Phoenix!

2012-01-04 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

ugh!  After a full day of work including a 3.5 hour worlds most boring meeting, my son came home from daycare REALLY sick with a stomach bug and was throwing up nearly every 20-30 minutes.  After he went to bed my wife and I ate some pot roast and it was time to go meet with a side job related contract for 2 hours.  I'm just finally getting home and glaring at that trainer.  Might just skip tonight.  To offset not riding the trainer I switched my usual oreo or tasty treat snack of the evening with a bowl of 2% Greek yogurt with a local apiary's honey drizzled on top.  Yum!

Also switched to V8 fusion LIGHT Strawberry/Banana.  Can't even tell the difference and 10g of sugar less per serving.

I'm still trying to strike a work/family/personaltime/workout balance and part of that is allowing work and life to occasionally overrule workout... as long as I make up for it later by cutting out my xbox time :P

2012-01-04 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3971898

User image

Master
Vista, CA
stampinann - 2012-01-04 7:55 PM

Hi All!!

If you like peanut butter - try the new GU flavor it's peanut butter and it actually is pretty darn good.  No caffine...so I had it before my 90 min run tonight. 

Did my run on the treadmill ...and counted my 5 min walk warm up in my minutes.   My prior coach always told me include my 5 min walk in my time - you are still doing it - it's time and it counts.

I am still a bit sore from the 1/2 marathon this weekend - the plan was for 60 min easy pace, 15 min marathon pace, 15 min easy. Whew!  11 days until Phoenix!

I'm not usually a GU person, but I LOVE all things peanut butter. May just have to try it. Congrats on that 1/2 and rock on to Phoenix.

2012-01-04 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3971905

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jtaddei - 2012-01-04 8:00 PM

ugh!  After a full day of work including a 3.5 hour worlds most boring meeting, my son came home from daycare REALLY sick with a stomach bug and was throwing up nearly every 20-30 minutes.  After he went to bed my wife and I ate some pot roast and it was time to go meet with a side job related contract for 2 hours.  I'm just finally getting home and glaring at that trainer.  Might just skip tonight.  To offset not riding the trainer I switched my usual oreo or tasty treat snack of the evening with a bowl of 2% Greek yogurt with a local apiary's honey drizzled on top.  Yum!

Also switched to V8 fusion LIGHT Strawberry/Banana.  Can't even tell the difference and 10g of sugar less per serving.

I'm still trying to strike a work/family/personaltime/workout balance and part of that is allowing work and life to occasionally overrule workout... as long as I make up for it later by cutting out my xbox time :P

Sounds like a fair trade-off. You could get really extreme and try the 0% fat Fage. It's still really creamy and with honey still sugary and yummy.

2012-01-04 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
Nahhh i draw the line at 2%. Same for cottage cheese.
2012-01-05 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good morning manatees!

Are any of you vegetarians?  For the last 14 months I've been eating a mostly veg. diet  - she says while eating a piece of bacon    I usually have meat 1-2x per week, so I'm not completely veg.

I am pretty good at making veg soup and pasta, but after that I tend to rely on prepackaged items from Morningstar for the main part of the meal.  Since those products are stupid high in sodium, I've stopped using them.  Now I really struggle to come up with good meals.  So if any of you have good recipes or can point me to a good website, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ann-Marie

Oh, and I slept in again this morning b/c it is still close to freezing here and I still don't have warm enough clothes.  Florida weather come back!!!

2012-01-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3971487

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Honey~Badger - 2012-01-04 6:52 PM I'm never sure if I should include my warm up and cool downs in my training log.  For example, today I logged my bike workout as 50min and total mileage, when the main workout was 30 min.  What does everyone else do?

ha!  I know what you mean.  For swimming I do a short warm up/cool down and DO NOT include it in my distances.  I often swim a bit just to get used to the water temperature.  I don't include this.

For biking and running, I'm usually zone 2-ish anyway so I do include it.

I figure as long as I am consistent, that's what matters.  After all, the training log is just for me.

Now on dailymile (are we allowed to mention DM here?!), I add fake distances to my spin classes.  Is that cheating? 

2012-01-05 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3971659

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

lmscozz - 2012-01-04 8:40 PMI would look forward to writing it in and watching the graph on the side rise. We'll keep you reminded.

I love the graph! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69