BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-05-20 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1414677

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-20 2:55 PM

in other news -

I forgot to mention that Renee and I went on a killer ride on Sunday - whew!

and - today I ran, and today I paced myself - it, well, it felt pretty darn good! Cool

I'm so jealous you got to ride with Renee! How fun! And that's great about the run -- look at you, being all positive about running. Yay!

Speaking of meeting other Manatees, SoCal folks, I'll be down your way this weekend and will hopefully have some free time on Sunday or Monday. I won't have a bike, but would anyone want to hook up for a swim or run? I could go pretty much anywhere in the greater LA area (again, assuming I have some free time). We don't even have to train together -- it's just be neat to meet a few of you folks in person.

If anyone's up for it, shoot me a message.

2008-05-20 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1413919

Master
Houston
SSMinnow - 2008-05-20 12:44 PM

I need some honest feedback from you experienced triathletes about my first planned tri which is on July 13th and involves a half mile swim.  I am beginning to question my ability to do the swim distance. 

Feed your faith and doubt will starve to death.

I saw this on a church sign near my house and I couldn't get it out of my head.  I have added it to my page.  I think it works for everything.  Have faith in your training and your abilities and your fears will melt away!

I also think that Beth and Erin have given you great advice as well.  I had a panic attack during one of my races and I just got out of the crowd, flipped on my back and listened to myself breathe for a minute, then when the horn sounded, I did the breast stroke to start to calm my heart rate.  After a few yards, I started swimming slowly and methodically and I started to relax.  It all went fine after that.

2008-05-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Good evening! Two posts in one day. Wow!

Scott Tinley was fun to talk to. I let a non-athlete person sneak into transition toward the end of the day so he could ask to take Scott's photo. He was racked up by Bill (mentioned above) so I had no problem keeping track of him. I did ask him to ask to take the photo first, which he did, and the two of them talked for quite a bit afterward. Photo guy even walked out of transition with Scott, who I got to harass. He didn't have his number on his bike so I had to give him a hard time about stealing an ugly bike, etc. Believe me the paint job on his ride was very droolable. He stood there chit-chatting for a few with me, another volunteer, photo guy and DH who was talking to me while I was comparing bike numbers to body marks on the way out of transition.

I heard from the volunteer coordinator for the next Tri. She called me and said she definitely wanted my helps since I was "experienced." ! ! ! LOL Got home, told DH about it and he marched in and sat down to register for the race. I'm beginning to think he's doing it for the excellent parking spot the volunteers get

My new job, isn't so 'new' anymore, but I'm still learning. I feel very comfortable there and the only thing I don't like about it so far is that I don't have computer time to check up on you guys. There's only so many minutes in a day and I have to divide my time between being on the computer, training, relaxing, spending time with DH and the puppies, or just vegging out. Something always has to give! Lately it's been my computer time because I spend so much time on the computer at work the last thing I want to do in the evenings is stare at a different computer.

Tomorrow I'm back out wralking.
2008-05-20 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Oops, one more thing. How do you all "warm up" for your swimming? The training programs "require" warm-ups and really only "log" in the actual swim time and cool-down period. I'm wondering why they don't include warm-up? Is it not swimming?
2008-05-20 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1415275

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2008-05-20 10:07 PM Oops, one more thing. How do you all "warm up" for your swimming? The training programs "require" warm-ups and really only "log" in the actual swim time and cool-down period. I'm wondering why they don't include warm-up? Is it not swimming?

Hi Terri - I always include my warm up as part of my swim distance, and or time.  I'm not sure which plan you are referring to, some of the free plans give a good idea of the general approach, but not so much on the specifics, I found that to be especially true for the swim.

The length of the Warm up and cool down depends on the length of the over all workout as well as the type of workout - form, endurance, speed, pacing, etc.

One resource that I've used for swim workouts is the Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes  by Gale Bernhardt and Nick Hansen.

It's a great book of workouts, it's spiral bound and laminated so you can take it right to the pool with you.  It also includes reference for terminology and things like that.

The workouts detail warm up, middle swim, and cool down 

You can always modify the sets to adapt them to your comfort level.

I know there are other resources available, this is just the one I've personally used and found helpful.  

I do like the workouts that are part of the training plans for the silver membership for BT fwiw.

hope this helps 

2008-05-21 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida

So, I've been a bit MIA lately - super busy!  Anyway, so I go on BT today for just a moment to maybe update my log (haven't done that since, like Thursday) and maybe go on this thread to possibly catch up and, lo and behold, Yanti is the triathlete of the month!  

Woot!  Go Yanti!  I am so happy for you!  What are you gonna do now, go to Disney World?

Also, it's nice to put a voice with the picture.

2008-05-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1415296

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-20 8:24 PM

Hi Terri - I always include my warm up as part of my swim distance, and or time.  I'm not sure which plan you are referring to, some of the free plans give a good idea of the general approach, but not so much on the specifics, I found that to be especially true for the swim.

The length of the Warm up and cool down depends on the length of the over all workout as well as the type of workout - form, endurance, speed, pacing, etc.

One resource that I've used for swim workouts is the Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes  by Gale Bernhardt and Nick Hansen.

It's a great book of workouts, it's spiral bound and laminated so you can take it right to the pool with you.  It also includes reference for terminology and things like that.

The workouts detail warm up, middle swim, and cool down 

You can always modify the sets to adapt them to your comfort level.

I know there are other resources available, this is just the one I've personally used and found helpful.  

I do like the workouts that are part of the training plans for the silver membership for BT fwiw.

hope this helps 

Beth, I'm using the Michael Pate plan from here. I am a Bronze member but don't remember if it's a Bronze plan or not. All it says is 50 yard warm up. I'll look into those swim workouts. I'm also looking for one of those lap counter things you wear like a ring, if anyone knows where those can be found.

We ended up going to see Prince Caspian immediately after work last night so no computer time for me. DH and I are planning on making Tuesday and Friday our swim nights since there aren't any swim classes in the pools those evenings. It'll start next week for me though since I have an appointment after work tomorrow night.

Hope you all have a great Thursday.
2008-05-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1418941

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

MrsUSMC - 2008-05-22 11:04 AM
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-20 8:24 PM
  I'm also looking for one of those lap counter things you wear like a ring, if anyone knows where those can be found. .

Ask and ye shall recieve.

http://www.sportcount.com/products.php 

I want to order one myself when they are off backorder.

Steve

2008-05-22 2:50 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Terri, I'll take a look and see if I can find the plan and give you more insight.  If the plan is providing you yardage, that's what most of them do.

I personally like to mix up my strokes a bit during the warm up, especially if i'ts a longer one, I'll alternate breast stroke and free style.  I find it to be easier on my shoulders.

Just swim the warm up portion at a really easy pace and let your body get used to the water and get your muscles warmed up and familiar with the strokes - make sense?

2008-05-22 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Hey guys,

Sorry for being so quiet the past couple of days. A friend of mine from Detroit arrived on Tuesday and will be here until the 31st. We've been having a great time so far. We've both been telecommuting from my place today. I'm just waiting for him to finish up his last meeting and then we're heading out the door to Palm Springs for a couple of days. The temperatures have dropped dramatically here, so instead of triple digits, it'll only be in the mid-70's. When we head up into the San Jacinto mountains tomorrow for some hiking, the temps are only supposed to be in the mid to upper-40's. So, it seems like layers will be the order of the day clothing-wise!

Terri - glad to hear you had such a great time at Encinitas! I'm volunteering at the Danskin Disneyland on June 14th. I'm really looking forward to it, too. Right now I'm just signed up for working registration on Saturday. If I don't volunteer on Sunday, I'm still planning to go out to the park and cheer the ladies on that day.

Erin - I'm not sure when we'll be heading back from Palm Springs, but if there is an impromptu Manatee gathering while you're here, please let me know.

Hope you guys all have a lovely Memorial Day weekend!
2008-05-22 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hey gang,

I have been swamped and busy again this week--seriously, I question my sanity.  Training has been very challenging due to the busy-ness and I am frustrated with a capital F.  I did sign up for a metric century ride on Monday--that ought to kick my pretty hard!  I may also swim at 6 AM in open water....we shall see if I can get my act together at that hour.  My neck is really sore, I don't know what I did but I can't turn it much.  I hope to have it professionally massaged on the weekend to assure I can do the bike ride.

I really hoped to catch up on everyone's logs this week, but it just didn't happen, and I am sorry!  I love reading logs more than just about anything, and my lack of time to do that is almost as frustrating as not getting my workouts in!!!  I am not blaming my family though.  Well, maybe just a little. 

2008-05-22 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1420222

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Well....got my running in today and I want to recommend something to the group. 

(Background)-I ran for a number of years then had some back trouble and didn't run for about 13-14 years and about 25-35 lbs.  Started back last Sept. and while I am considerably slower (which is fine) I do want to improve my form and effeciency.  Being tall (6'4" I tend to be a heal striker if I don't pay close attention which, for me, is jarring and tough on the body.

(Yesterday)- I am a voracious reader and I have read a BUNCH on running in the past few months that was not available when I was running years ago.  I bought the book "Chi Running" and read about 30-40% of it last night.  Now, whether or not you buy into the energy-spiritual aspects of Chi (which I agree with most of it...I just don't understand the rest ) the rest of the book is GREAT when talking about running posture and form.  I did a hard track workout today...4 miles- Run the straights-under 30 sec. /Walk the turns- at a fast pace.  Well not only did I go faster but it was easier when I focused on the running style.  I still don't have it down but I hope to finish the book tonight or tomorrow and work on it with my runs over the next few weeks.

Just wanted to let you guys know about the book...Have a great holiday weekend and be safe in your training and your travels.

Steve

2008-05-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1420357

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thanks for the information, Steve. That's impressive that you saw results right away! I admit that I've been reluctant to read anything about running form -- what I'm doing seems to be working for me so far, and I'm too scared to screw around with it. But I can't help but be very curious about anything running-related. Please post more when you're done with the book!
2008-05-22 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1420418

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Fielding - 2008-05-22 9:17 PM Thanks for the information, Steve. That's impressive that you saw results right away! I admit that I've been reluctant to read anything about running form -- what I'm doing seems to be working for me so far, and I'm too scared to screw around with it. But I can't help but be very curious about anything running-related. Please post more when you're done with the book!

I started not to get it but I can't pass up a good book...Also when I feel some clouds approaching (meaning mentally...not the weather) I can usually find some comfort distraction at a book store.  Anyway...when I started running I was VERY surprised that I felt it almost immediately (the comfort part, the speed came later).  It is something that is not "natural" for me just yet but I think it could be within <100 miles if I focus. 

What I have been working on these past few months is cadence and turnover rate and this works of off that but from the other direction...What I mean is that instead of focusing on the turnover rate you focus on the lean and stride "type" and that by nature leads to a higher turnover...hope that is clear to all of you Non-ADD folks 

Steve

2008-05-23 1:52 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you everyone, for your really sweet congrats. YOU are exactly the people I were talking about in my interview when I said BT is full of people who reach their hands out and multiply their tri experience beyond themselves. It's such a joy to be part of this amazing group of Manatees.

Terri—so glad you got revved up again. Yes, I think this sport attracts the finest people in athletics. We need to look no further than this group to prove that J. I am beeeyoooond jealous that you got to talk to Scott. I was going to call my dog Tinley, and I think it suits her perfectly, but my roommate insists on calling her Yodie. Or Yoda. She’s basically still nameless.

Suzy—You’ve gotten excellent advice on the swim. Another thing you might try—I don’t know if you do this at all—but practice meditative breathing so that on tri day, when you’re waiting on the bank of the water, you can already enter that peaceful, well-oxygenated state so that when you hit the water, you have a much better chance of remaining relaxed: the key to a strong swim, especially if you’ve had a traumatic experience before.

2008-05-23 2:30 AM
in reply to: #1420750

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-05-22 11:52 PM
Suzy—You’ve gotten excellent advice on the swim. Another thing you might try—I don’t know if you do this at all—but practice meditative breathing so that on tri day, when you’re waiting on the bank of the water, you can already enter that peaceful, well-oxygenated state so that when you hit the water, you have a much better chance of remaining relaxed: the key to a strong swim, especially if you’ve had a traumatic experience before.

Wow, I feel kind of silly now. Yanti, I've been practicing your meditative breathing techniques for a while (since we first talked about it in the old mentor thread), and it's helped a lot -- I basically never get nervous before workouts like I used to. But for some reason it never occurred to me to use that before an OWS! I am so taking advantage of that next time.

2008-05-23 6:42 AM

Master
Houston

Good morning, everyone!!  I am behind in here.  Today is a travel day and I am packed up and getting ready to check out to finish up my business then head for home from Baton Rouge, LA. 

Have a great weekend, Manatees!!!  Remember what this weekend is all about and remember those that are still serving!!!

2008-05-23 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1420812

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Nette213 - 2008-05-23 7:42 AM

Have a great weekend, Manatees!!!  Remember what this weekend is all about and remember those that are still serving!!!

x 2 on what Jeannette said.

2008-05-23 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Happy Friday Manatees!

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when I get home in the evenings! I mentioned a co-worker has starting Weight Watchers with me and that she was missing eating out at her fave Mexican food places at lunch and DH decided he needed Mexican food, so we went out....I have weigh in today and am expecting a gain. I got up 3 times during the night for something to drink. Salt, salt, salt!

Anyway, thank you so much for the info on the lap counter! That's exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't think what to search for. I passed the info on to DH, since he was interested after I mentioned it, and we'll probably be ordering one for each of us this weekend.

As to reading...I am a reader as well. I will usually read 3-4 book about about a subject (any subject) before diving in to whatever it is I want to do. I'll add that book to my list, even though I'm another one who doesn't "get" the Chi thing. You never know, I might just learn something. I'm also a heal striker, which is part of my PF problem, so I'm looking forward to the education.

Yanti. Thank you-Congratulations-Sympathy hugs to you. I just check my *other* e-mail account and saw an evite from you and was devastated that I missed out on your birthday event! Bunny mentioned she was going to your house, but I just figured it was a local tri-club get together event. (p.s. my current email is in my BT profile)

Okay everyone, this weekend my bike comes off the trainer. It's a "road virgin" and I'm very nervous about getting out there and actually riding it on the road. It will only be in my neighborhood, and only for 2 miles at a time, but I know asking here I'll get happy thoughts, crossed fingers, and even prayers, that I don't crash and burn. I'll only be using toe clips instead of cleats while I get used to actually going someone on it.

I don't know if I'll be around much this weekend. We have no set plans so that usually means we'll be super busy going here and there. Of course with gas prices being what they are (I paid $4.15gal yesterday!!!) we may just turn the sprinkler on in the backyard and pretend we're somewhere special.
2008-05-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1421558

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
MrsUSMC - 2008-05-23 9:27 AM
Okay everyone, this weekend my bike comes off the trainer. It's a "road virgin" and I'm very nervous about getting out there and actually riding it on the road. It will only be in my neighborhood, and only for 2 miles at a time, but I know asking here I'll get happy thoughts, crossed fingers, and even prayers, that I don't crash and burn. I'll only be using toe clips instead of cleats while I get used to actually going someone on it.

That's so exciting, Terri!! You'll do great on the roads -- you might be a little nervous and wobbly at first, but it'll only take a ride or two to feel comfy, especially sticking to the neighborhood. Have fun! Go fast! Don't cross your fingers when you're trying to shift gears! Let us handle the finger-crossing.
2008-05-23 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1421759

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Ok...confession time.

My name is STEVE....and I bagged a workout today.....(and the crowd says)  Hi Steve.

On the positive side:

1. I was listening to my body.  I loved the new Chi Running style I did yesterday but my quads are really sore and that is unusual.
  2. It did rain and storm.
  3. I spent some quality time with D-Gd.

On the not-so positive side:

1. I just bagged it...I had time and could have done it but I just didn't do it.
  2. I was not having a great day (depression is a not so funny thing sometimes  )
  3. Reason 1 (in the positive list) has some real merit...but honestly reasons 2 & 3 are just cop-outs...Although I did have a GREAT lunch with D-Gd at Chick-Filet  I still had time to run.

As part of my Manatee Challenge I have to post this and I will post to my log tomorrow.  Going to hit the sack now.  I already have a 7:00 a.m. run scheduled with a friend so that should get me going tomorrow.

Hey Beth....the pool re-opens tomorrow and I hope to be in there tomorrow or Sunday.

I hope you all have a great holiday weekend and please remember those who are serving our country and pray for a healthy and safe return for them all.

Steve

2008-05-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1422608

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Reno8 - 2008-05-23 7:00 PM

Ok...confession time.

My name is STEVE....and I bagged a workout today.....(and the crowd says)  Hi Steve.

On the positive side:

1. I was listening to my body.  I loved the new Chi Running style I did yesterday but my quads are really sore and that is unusual.
  2. It did rain and storm.
  3. I spent some quality time with D-Gd.

On the not-so positive side:

1. I just bagged it...I had time and could have done it but I just didn't do it.
  2. I was not having a great day (depression is a not so funny thing sometimes  )
  3. Reason 1 (in the positive list) has some real merit...but honestly reasons 2 & 3 are just cop-outs...Although I did have a GREAT lunch with D-Gd at Chick-Filet  I still had time to run.

As part of my Manatee Challenge I have to post this and I will post to my log tomorrow.  Going to hit the sack now.  I already have a 7:00 a.m. run scheduled with a friend so that should get me going tomorrow.

Hey Beth....the pool re-opens tomorrow and I hope to be in there tomorrow or Sunday.

I hope you all have a great holiday weekend and please remember those who are serving our country and pray for a healthy and safe return for them all.

Steve

Steve, I am in the same meeting as you.  Had time to hit the gym tonight, but chose a bbq hamburger and a hard lemonade instead.  Excuses, well, my neck still hurts, it's still raining, but overall I just don't feel like it (riding the edge of depression too, ugh).  I am also running in the morning, open water swimming (first of the season) on Sunday, and doing a killer ride on Monday, so I am not letting my lack of workouts in the past few days dictate my self esteem, no way!  So I may just enjoy a second lemonade and chill out about it.  Positives-spent an entire day without yelling at or threatening the kids.  Washed the dog at a dog wash (with kids). Survived McDonald's at lunchtime (I never go there, so it shocks my system whenever I happen into that craziness.).  Also survived a bouncy house birthday party and two sugared up kids last night.  So there!  Let's all have a great weekend!

2008-05-23 11:41 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Steve and Leslie, you silly kids. Have you looked at your own logs lately? You both have been doing SO GREAT. You calendars are full of pretty pink squares, you've been amazingly consistent with your workouts, you're sticking to the plans. I'm impressed! And you should be too! At the very least, you've earned a break without beating yourselves up.

That said, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm feeling energized and motivated now, but when I was training for that oly, yeesh, I just wanted to be DONE. I know I scrapped one or two workouts because I just couldn't stand it. Hang in there, guys! Enjoy your weekend, ease back into training when you're ready, and you will feel better.
2008-05-25 6:51 AM
in reply to: #1420750

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TriAya - 2008-05-23 1:52 AM

TriAya/Erin

Exactly what is meditative breathing?  I am willing to give anything a try since I am hoping to hit the water at our house up north today or tomorrow!

Suzy

2008-05-25 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi all, I am feeling better now, thanks for putting up with me last week.  Wait, that's what I told my family, too!  Uh oh!  I realize I have plenty of fitness in the books, and plenty on the agenda, so I need to chill out once in a while.  Lesson learned.  Tomorrow is the hilly 100k which I am nervous about!! Gotta go buy some nuun and gel here pretty soon.

I finally got into open water to swim today, tried out the wetsuit beyond just a photo shoot (please see my albums if you aren't already aware of my dorkiness--and oh yeah, my avatar).  It did well, and so did I!  It was cloudy and cool--air was about 50, lake was???, but we swam out into the calm lake, right down the middle, almost to the end (it is a small lake, no motor boats allowed). I felt strong and fast and fluid, much better than I did last year, so I think swimming consistently all winter has really paid off.  I also swam in what seemed like a pretty straight line.  The woman I swam with veered left a lot so we ended up very far apart in the lake!  It was weird being out there semi-alone, but also peaceful and highly enjoyable.  I really hope I don't have to pool swim any more until next winter.

So here's my question about wetsuit swimming:  when I lap swim in the pool, in a swimsuit, I take a breath every three strokes, occasionally on the 4th or 2nd but average about 98% on every third.  While swimming today, I really didn't need a breath at all until the fourth stroke.  When I did every third, I found it felt like I was trying to breathe out of synch.  Is this just from being more floaty in the wetsuit?  Should I try to breathe every 5th so that I am doing both sides?  I am confused now!!!  My gut tells me to do what feels natural.  But I do want to hear what you guys think from experience!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2008-05-25 6:38 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47