BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4003612

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

Good for you on fulfilling your promise

2012-01-21 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4003311

User image

New user
KY
tstl - 2012-01-21 1:37 PM
erinrockrun - 2012-01-21 12:30 PM

Tammy, I LOVE those suits!  Super fun.  Now can someone please elaborate on the sh*t in the pants story?  I keep seeing tidbits about it and I think hearing it would make my day.

Ooh, maybe this is my story about a passenger we boarded in Vancouver. Older lady, traveling with her husband. I happened to notice she had her sweater tied around her waist when she got on. Shortly after takeoff, I get a call from the flight attendant that the lady had lost bowel control (BEFORE boarding), and was asking for Immodium and sitting on a stack of newspapers! She also defiled the lav at some point. Ew. By the time she deplaned 2 hours later, there were brown stains on her white sweater. Honestly, would you get on a flight after losing bowel control?? We had to call out the biohazard crews to clean the airplane!

Sadly, this is not the only poopy pants story I have from work, just the one I had the most direct experience with! You work with the public long enough, you see some really nasty sh*t!

Ha ha ha!  No way would I get on a plane after losing "bowel control!"  I would get the hell out of the airport with the tail between the legs.  That is a horrible story- poor people sitting next to her!  You must have some crazy stories.  I could watch that show "Airline" for hours; love seeing all the crap that goes on. What airline do you fly?  I've had some family with Delta and Southwest for years.  And Frontier as well.

Kristen, thanks for the info on the bike fit.  Hoping to do it this week before my reverse tri on Sunday.  Pretty excited about it!

2012-01-21 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4003896

User image

Extreme Veteran
erinrockrun - 2012-01-21 8:34 PM
tstl - 2012-01-21 1:37 PM
erinrockrun - 2012-01-21 12:30 PM

Tammy, I LOVE those suits!  Super fun.  Now can someone please elaborate on the sh*t in the pants story?  I keep seeing tidbits about it and I think hearing it would make my day.

Ooh, maybe this is my story about a passenger we boarded in Vancouver. Older lady, traveling with her husband. I happened to notice she had her sweater tied around her waist when she got on. Shortly after takeoff, I get a call from the flight attendant that the lady had lost bowel control (BEFORE boarding), and was asking for Immodium and sitting on a stack of newspapers! She also defiled the lav at some point. Ew. By the time she deplaned 2 hours later, there were brown stains on her white sweater. Honestly, would you get on a flight after losing bowel control?? We had to call out the biohazard crews to clean the airplane!

Sadly, this is not the only poopy pants story I have from work, just the one I had the most direct experience with! You work with the public long enough, you see some really nasty sh*t!

Ha ha ha!  No way would I get on a plane after losing "bowel control!"  I would get the hell out of the airport with the tail between the legs.  That is a horrible story- poor people sitting next to her!  You must have some crazy stories.  I could watch that show "Airline" for hours; love seeing all the crap that goes on. What airline do you fly?  I've had some family with Delta and Southwest for years.  And Frontier as well.

Kristen, thanks for the info on the bike fit.  Hoping to do it this week before my reverse tri on Sunday.  Pretty excited about it!

Erin, I fly for SkyWest. We do contract flying for Delta, United, Alaska, and most recently, US Airways. I had to stop watching Airline- it reminded me too much of work!
2012-01-21 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3942391

Extreme Veteran

Loss of bowel control before a plane - um, nope.

Only times that's happened to me in public I've gone straight to the nearest shop and bought myself a new pair of pants or pretty much gone straight home

2012-01-22 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey there!  Thanks for all the tips about bike gloves.  I've never had a proper fit on my bike (just the basic one when I bought it to make sure I got the right size).  I know I should, but just can't justify the expense right now.  As for aerobars, to be honest, they scare me a little.  I'm not a strong cyclist and having my hands that far from the brakes makes me nervous.  Hopefully using the trainer will make me more comfortable on the bike and I'll be able to move to both aerobars and clipless pedals. 

Went to the pool yesterday and I'm feeling it today.  My shoulders and upper back are killing me.  I can definitely tell that it's been a while since I swam.  It went well though - I ended up doing all 50's but I'm OK with that since my tri is a pool swim in a 50m pool.  I'd still like to work on endurance and get my times down though so I'll hit the pool as much as I can over the next couple of months. 

Debating on my run today.  I was hoping to get outside since the temps were predicted to be decent, but it's overcast, foggy and windy - looks a lot like rain is coming.  So it'll probably be the TM for me.  I'm so ready for spring to get  here! 

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
Janet2

2012-01-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4002943

User image

Expert
Falls Church
tstl - 2012-01-21 8:24 AM

Here's a little inspiration (read: kick in the pants) for those of you trying to dig yourselves out of the winter doldrums:

http://angesdrivetotri.blogspot.com/2012/01/its-not-supposed-to-be-easy.html

As someone who likes to stay in her comfort zone, I need a little boot every now and then!

Thanks for the link!  Good read.

2012-01-23 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4002998

User image

Expert
Falls Church
hildekq - 2012-01-21 9:00 AM

Tammy, that was an awesome read!!  The more training we do NOW, the better we are going to be on race day!! 

Here's a fab tip I picked up over on the regular Triathlon Forum....

http://www.sportsbasement.com/  is having a sale, 20% everything even sale items and they have tri shorts for $20  (that's $16 w/ the discount!!!!)  Go check it out, I'm gonna pick up a few more pairs of tri shorts, you can never have too many, right?!

Well...great prices!  But I couldn't make myself order anything.  I have enough gear it seems.  I can hardly close my dresser drawers that contain my workout wear.  I LOVE WORKOUT/SPORTY CLOTHES!!!  When I retire, I'm only going to wear comfy performance cool-looking sporty wear (like Title Nine clothes).  One of the reasons I can hardly wait!

2012-01-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4003259

User image

Expert
Falls Church

rustymom - 2012-01-21 12:52 PM My new bike computer has revealed that I've been under estimating my speed on the trainer. Lack of wind resistance is a help! Anyway instead of my estimated 10-12mph, I did 15+ mph today. The cadence is nice to know also. The darn thing is currently taped with medical tape to the top of the stem on my hybrid since the handle bars are apparently too far from the sensor when its mounted on the back. GGGGRRRRRR

Yeah!! on the speed.  Boo on the bike hack.  

2012-01-23 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4003612

User image

Expert
Falls Church

lounav - 2012-01-21 5:48 PM Just bought a RoadID!  My best friend had a really bad bike accident recently and broke her jaw.  She made me promise to get one, so I finally did.

I'm a big fan of RoadID.  Got mine after an older neighbor (in her 80's) saw me running one day and asked if I carried ID.  At the time, I didn't.  She soundly chastised me for this!  Right when I got home I ordered one because I know that would be the first thing she asked me about next time she saw me.  Sure enough - next time she saw me she asked about it and I was able to whip out my RoadID to show her!

2012-01-23 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4005480

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I ALWAYS run and bike with my Road ID!!  I have the ankle one and have also used it for my timing chip.  Can always use a little more reflective stuff when running in the dark, too!
2012-01-23 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4004404

User image

Expert
Falls Church
soccermom15 - 2012-01-22 11:44 AM

Hey there!  Thanks for all the tips about bike gloves.  I've never had a proper fit on my bike (just the basic one when I bought it to make sure I got the right size).  I know I should, but just can't justify the expense right now.  As for aerobars, to be honest, they scare me a little.  I'm not a strong cyclist and having my hands that far from the brakes makes me nervous.  Hopefully using the trainer will make me more comfortable on the bike and I'll be able to move to both aerobars and clipless pedals. 

You can try some minor adjustments yourself.  Like handlebars up/down, rotate the handlebars up/down just a bit, seat up/down, and seat back/forth.  Just use pencil to mark your original settings.  I did this on my commuter bike and it helped alot.

2012-01-23 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

My last post this morning. 

Here are some tips for cold weather riding from Bike Hacks.

2012-01-23 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

My body hurts today! Between the swim on Saturday and the run yesterday, I don’t think there’s an inch of me that doesn’t hurt.  It’s not a bad hurt, just a lot of soreness.  My shoulders/upper back are the worst – guess that’s what I get for slacking on the swim training for 4 months. Embarassed  Trainer ride scheduled for tonight. It’s supposed to be hard intervals, but I may just make it an easy ride and do the intervals on Thursday instead. I’m taking that day off work so I’ll have a little more flexibility to get the workout in.  Looking forward to having at least part of the day to myself – I didn’t get my “quiet time” over the weekend and I feel like my mind is going a million miles a minute (wish my feet could go that fast, lol!).

2012-01-23 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
I just bought a RoadID, too.  Thanks, Louise, for putting that fire under my butt!!    I should know better than to run/ride without any i.d. since I'm diabetic and could run into trouble if my blood sugar gets too low and I don't have any sugar on me!!  I used to have a medic alert bracelet but it got really tarnished in the pool.  The RoadID's look perfect!!  Thanks for motivating me to order one!!
2012-01-24 12:24 AM

Extreme Veteran

ID's I got an sos bracelet thing a couple years back off dad for Christmas and should really start wearing it - may have to see if I can find it first,lol.

Janet - the sports stuff is my "me time" - it's the only time I'm able to get out the house and not have to put up with everyone.

200m continuous done. I've also updated my goals so I can give them to the gym lady tomorrow. Now I just have to transfer them to the desktop,lol - haven't worked out how to network things yet Embarassed

Oh and I got to play swimming teacher at the end of my swim session today.

The guy in the next lane was trying to teach his kid freestyle and the kid kept doing the panicky spashing thing even after he'd explained so he then said - "she'll show you"

So I did a few strokes - about 4 (forgot to breath and it was all I could handle without,lol)

And after he'd tried again I went over and helped him by taking his hands and taking him through the motions and then did a little bit of extra instruction standing up with his dad's help.

2012-01-24 4:30 AM
in reply to: #4007341

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
How cool is it when our training pays off and we can then turn around and teach/help someone else??  Great job on helping the kid, Suzie!!

2012-01-24 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Hey guys!  Just wanted to let you know that I'm pretty much slammed in on the new job.  I have a busines trip this weekend and into the start of next week so you might now hear much from me.  I'm still getting in some short runs.  Once I feel more confident in my new job I'll be able to get back to my training.  Or, at least, that is my plan.

2012-01-24 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4007365

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Hilde - I guess it's part of my getting more confident too

JC - good luck with the job and training combo.

2012-01-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4009416

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Hello MMMers!  I just got finished checking today's logs and there seemed to be a theme going on....

"I'm really tired, I'm getting sick, etc".... Most of you have really been logging those peachy days all month so far, and if you are like me, after being pretty lazy during December.  It's easy to go gung ho all out at first, but now we are in Week 4, and the body is getting tired.  Dont' be afraid to take a rest day or two to recharge.  I did last week and it really helped both with my motivation AND physically I felt so much better when I started again.  No sense getting burned out in the off season!!  You may want to reel it back a bit next week, cut your volume a little, go a little easier and let the body strengthen.  Don't worry, I'm not THAT much of a b!tch to crack the whip ALL the time! 

2012-01-25 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran

A bit of a stuffy nose here, but no problem on my part for taking rest days, LOL!  Today is a rest day, for example.  It's also my birthday.  No big celebrations planned unless taking DS to swim practice and sitting on uncomfortable bleachers drenched  (in sweat) and suffering from chlorine eyes without even getting in the water counts as a celebration.

2012-01-25 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4010505

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Happy Birthday, Andrea!!!  Personally, I've come to LOVE the smell of "Eau de Chlorine"!

2012-01-25 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Thanks Hilde on the link for the bargain stuff.  I bought two new tri shorts!  Great price, too!
2012-01-25 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4010505

Extreme Veteran
rustymom - 2012-01-25 12:52 PM

A bit of a stuffy nose here, but no problem on my part for taking rest days, LOL!  Today is a rest day, for example.  It's also my birthday.  No big celebrations planned unless taking DS to swim practice and sitting on uncomfortable bleachers drenched  (in sweat) and suffering from chlorine eyes without even getting in the water counts as a celebration.

Chlorine eyes and not in the water? Those kids are definitely splashing too much. Happy birthday btw.

2012-01-25 5:33 PM

User image

New user
KY

Hilde, I noticed the theme, too.  I hope everyone starts to feel better. I just commented in Michelle's blog that I read this is supposed to be the most depressing and stressful week of the year.  "Blue Monday" started things off.  Glad we are getting through it and looking forward to spring and the traditional tri season!

Anyway, the hubby and I are getting ready to join the Masters swim program.  I'm finally confident enough in the water to give it a whirl, although I'm still a bit nervous about it.  Supposedly, the program here is great and the main coach is a 72 year old lady who is just a swimming legend, Susan B Cox.

Any words of advice for what to expect with a Masters program?  I still feel like a guppy; only been swimming a few monthsTongue out

2012-01-25 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
I just found out that my registration was picked in the lottery for another indoor tri on 2/12. This one is 20 min swim, 20 min bike 20 min run on an indoor track (14laps per mile). I guess I need to get in the pool over the next few weeks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61