General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-02-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4617208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
BernardDogs - 2013-02-11 9:59 AM

Howdy peeps ...

I've been laying low for about a week and missed all of last week's training due to this nasty cold that wants to keep hanging on. I was convinced, with the coughing that wouldn't break up, that I had gotten whooping cough, but the Dr. is pretty certain it's just a nasty virus that has been spreading.

I have contact with many college students each day and usually find it hard to avoid these particularly nasty bugs.

Anyway ... training resumes today with a post-work swim. Looking forward to being back in the groove again. I leave for a 5 day trip to Mexico next Wednesday, so the plan is going to be primarily running for those days. I'll get in as much swim/bike as I can ahead of that.

Don't go overboard with coming back, nice and easy back into it.  Last you want to do is get injured!

Hope you feel better.

I'm starting make arrangements for the pool for next week.  Our school is on break.

2013-02-11 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4617259

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
cornick - 2013-02-11 10:26 AM 

Don't go overboard with coming back, nice and easy back into it.  Last you want to do is get injured!

Hope you feel better.

I'm starting make arrangements for the pool for next week.  Our school is on break.

Word.

It'll be mostly easy work for a week or so. Then probably runs with my daughter while in Mexico which will hold me back well. Thankfully, I was able to complete the Tour of Sufferlandria prior to getting knocked down by this thing. I'm certain I'll see some nice numbers when I do my next FTP test. 
2013-02-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Pro

Weekly totals. Lost a day to work, weather, and the snuffles. Still, this was the most swimming ever in one week. Onward and upward.

S:  
8092.74 Yd 3h 01m
B: 
0.00 Mi 2h 00m
R:  
27.00 Mi 3h 56m 18s

2013-02-11 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4617699

Regular
Sounds like the cold's really working around... get healthy everyone!
2013-02-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4617699

Regular
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-11 2:38 PM

Weekly totals. Lost a day to work, weather, and the snuffles. Still, this was the most swimming ever in one week. Onward and upward.

S:  
8092.74 Yd 3h 01m
B: 
0.00 Mi 2h 00m
R:  
27.00 Mi 3h 56m 18s

Great job on the swim!

2013-02-13 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4619934

User image

Pro
jsenc2002 - 2013-02-12 9:14 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-11 2:38 PM

S:  
8092.74 Yd 3h 01m
B: 
0.00 Mi 2h 00m
R:  
27.00 Mi 3h 56m 18s

Great job on the swim!

Thanks. I'm new to swimming, learning it in middle age has not come easy. Just saw our first OWS is scheduled for second week of April. Bet that water is chilly!

2013-02-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4612008

User image

New user

Trainer Road all setup.  Ready to give it a go tonight with the Fink brick.

Besides Trainer Road, any other software out there I can use the ANT stick / HRM / Foot Pod for?  Is there a Treadmill equivalent of Trainer Road?  My treadmill came with iFit but I didn't renew my subscription after the free one year trail.  I have a forerunner 305 which doesn't use the ANT stick.  It sync using a cradle.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-02-06 8:16 PM
peterliu88 - 2013-02-06 2:59 PM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-02-06 12:59 PM My ANT stick arrived. If all goes to plan (and my HRM matches up) I will be hitting the Trainer Road tonight.

SO excited. I'm looking forward to more structure in my rides.

I just ordered an ANT stick from amazon too.  I have no idea what trainer road does but need something to give the long trainer ride a purpose.  Most of the time I'm just watching TV and moving my legs without any purpose.

That was what I felt my problem was, too.

I'm all paired up and good to go. Thanks to Jeff for the suggestion/ help.

Forecast to get up to 2ft of white stuff this weekend, so I may be getting very familiar with the programs!

Now if I could just get my butt in a pool......

2013-02-14 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4621005

User image

New user

Trainer Road just told me how much work I need to do on the bike to be ready. 

I did the 20 minute test and got a FTP of 140.  The difference in power between my warm up and my "going pretty hard" is 25%.  During the test my power indicator was mostly yellow.

I didn't know there is such a huge difference in using a big gear and a small gear.  I always thought it's better to spin fast than smash a big gear.  But during the test it was easier to sustain power using the big gear.

Why doesn't trainer road tell you how fast (mph) you're going?

There's a lot of take in.  Trainer road will definitely keep me motivated.

peterliu88 - 2013-02-13 1:46 PM

Besides Trainer Road, any other software out there I can use the ANT stick / HRM / Foot Pod for?  Is there a Treadmill equivalent of Trainer Road?  My treadmill came with iFit but I didn't renew my subscription after the free one year trail.  I have a forerunner 305 which doesn't use the ANT stick.  It sync using a cradle.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-02-06 12:59 PM My ANT stick arrived. If all goes to plan (and my HRM matches up) I will be hitting the Trainer Road tonight.

I just ordered an ANT stick from amazon too.  I have no idea what trainer road does but need something to give the long trainer ride a purpose.  Most of the time I'm just watching TV and moving my legs without any purpose.

Forecast to get up to 2ft of white stuff this weekend, so I may be getting very familiar with the programs!

2013-02-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4621848

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
peterliu88 - 2013-02-14 8:54 AM

I did the 20 minute test and got a FTP of 140.  The difference in power between my warm up and my "going pretty hard" is 25%.  During the test my power indicator was mostly yellow.

I didn't know there is such a huge difference in using a big gear and a small gear.  I always thought it's better to spin fast than smash a big gear.  But during the test it was easier to sustain power using the big gear.

There's a lot of take in.

Hey Peter - I am not a trainer road user, so I will let others answer your trainer road-specific questions, but what you just learned is one of the big benefits of training with power. "Power" is not a single metric, it is actually the relationship between two important inputs: torque and rotational speed, or more specifically on the bike torque and cadence. When you are in a big gear (typically lower cadence) you use more "fast twitch" muscles and when you are in a small gear (typically higher cadence) you use more "slow twitch" muscles (that sounds backwards, I know). In a big gear you can apply more torque, and in a small gear you can apply more rotational speed (higher cadence). Working with a power meter lets you find your "sweet spot" in the balance of these two outputs - and we are all different depending on how we are spec'd out. It is easy to think you are putting out a lot of power when doing overgear (low cadence) work, when what you are really doing is just applying a lot of torque to the crank but your power might actually be lower than you feel. Conversely it is also easy to really drive your HR up at a high cadence without putting a lot of power to the cranks. You definitely want to watch these numbers and build both systems.

FWIW I have found that I race best with a higher cadence up to the HIM distance, but definitely am more efficient over the IM distance at a slightly lower cadence. All of this is very over-simplified, but in the end my best advice is to use the numbers TR is giving you to find your most efficient personal balance.

2013-02-14 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

It does, but it's kind of hidden:  I'll try and post a pic tonight of where it is...

On the screen that you pair your devices, once you start riding, there's a little section on the top which shows cadence, power, and speed - realtime.

2013-02-14 9:18 AM

User image

Pro

There's a lot of take in.  Trainer road will definitely keep me motivated.

peterliu88 - 2013-02-13 1:46 PM

It will keep you honest, too. I did TR last winter. Haven't done it much yet because I'm on a swim/run focus right now. But you should see real measurable gains by using TR and training with power. Hope you bought some fans. Those workouts are hard!

Keep in mind that on the trainer speed isn't meaningful. It's wattage that you use as your metric.

2013-02-15 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Keep with TrainerRoad for the remainder of the winter/early spring and you'll be amazed with your gains. Don't fixate too much on that first FTP test. Do a few weeks of their workouts, and try the test again. Some of this is learning how to ride that fitness test.

And I'll try to remember some of the workouts that were especially instructional for becoming mindful of your cadence as it relates to your power. I used to be a pretty consistent masher, but have since really appreciate the ability to find power with higher cadence. That is what has improved my race endurance most.

A small brag from me this morning. I got to the pool last night and was the only one from my Masters group to show up. So my coach thought we should do a benchmark time trial that we can revisit in April to see how training is going. He completed IMLP last year, and has been a great person to have in my corner as I train for my first.

So after 600yds of warm up, the main set was 4 x 500 with 1:00 rest in between. He wanted me to really try and dial in a pace I could sustain for the 4 intervals.

8:11 (1:38/100yd)
8:17 (1:39)
8:20 (1:40)
8:35 (1:43)

I started a hair too fast and tanked it a bit on the final interval, but I was pretty pleased. Had I done this last year at this time, I probably would have been closer to 2:05/100yd for the average. Looking forward to what I can do over the next 8 weeks before testing again.

Onward! 

2013-02-15 8:35 AM

Regular
Brighton MA
NICE WORK! My coach actually had me do the same thing on Weds with 5x500. Those are not easy. How did you feel afterwards?
2013-02-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4623332

User image

New user

If you or anyone could suggest some rides on trainer road for a newbie like me that would be really helpful.  And thanks for the advices already given on cadences / gears.

I also adjusted the wheel size a tiny bit (from 2070 to 2097).  It may be just psychological but I felt like I hit the target better last night on the 1 hr ride.

I prepared my first IM (Florida) with just the Fink book and feel.  I probably did all the workouts in the "endurance" zone.  I may even try to do some "intervals" on the treadmill now that I've had a taste of it from training road.

BernardDogs - 2013-02-15 7:33 AM

Keep with TrainerRoad for the remainder of the winter/early spring and you'll be amazed with your gains. Don't fixate too much on that first FTP test. Do a few weeks of their workouts, and try the test again. Some of this is learning how to ride that fitness test.

And I'll try to remember some of the workouts that were especially instructional for becoming mindful of your cadence as it relates to your power. I used to be a pretty consistent masher, but have since really appreciate the ability to find power with higher cadence. That is what has improved my race endurance most.

A small brag from me this morning. I got to the pool last night and was the only one from my Masters group to show up. So my coach thought we should do a benchmark time trial that we can revisit in April to see how training is going. He completed IMLP last year, and has been a great person to have in my corner as I train for my first.

So after 600yds of warm up, the main set was 4 x 500 with 1:00 rest in between. He wanted me to really try and dial in a pace I could sustain for the 4 intervals.

I started a hair too fast and tanked it a bit on the final interval, but I was pretty pleased. Had I done this last year at this time, I probably would have been closer to 2:05/100yd for the average. Looking forward to what I can do over the next 8 weeks before testing again.

Onward! 

2013-02-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4623454

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
espejo09 - 2013-02-15 9:35 AM NICE WORK! My coach actually had me do the same thing on Weds with 5x500. Those are not easy. How did you feel afterwards?

I slept well. I love that swimmer's buzz that carries into the evening and allows me to fall quickly and soundly asleep.

I was surprised by how I felt throughout the workout. I did have the fade, but I was really enjoying the zone. I got into a groove during each of the intervals and felt very fluid. Now to add some sustainable speed to the equation and see if I can get under a 1:30 average for these. 
2013-02-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4623530

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
peterliu88 - 2013-02-15 10:14 AM

If you or anyone could suggest some rides on trainer road for a newbie like me that would be really helpful.  And thanks for the advices already given on cadences / gears.

I also adjusted the wheel size a tiny bit (from 2070 to 2097).  It may be just psychological but I felt like I hit the target better last night on the 1 hr ride.

I prepared my first IM (Florida) with just the Fink book and feel.  I probably did all the workouts in the "endurance" zone.  I may even try to do some "intervals" on the treadmill now that I've had a taste of it from training road.

I'll try and sit down this weekend sometime and comb through those that have particularly good instruction. I just can't think which they are right now.

And the key with TrainerRoad isn't so much making sure you've got the wheel resitance perfect ... or the wheel size, etc. What is important is that you set yourself up consistently for each ride. Tire pressure, same resistance, etc.

It's just a metric ... and you want to gauge your improvement while keeping as many variables as constant as you can. Don't get locked in to the FTP. It's probably not a statistically reliable measure of your power on the roads. It is, though, a statistically reliable measure of your relative training gains. Does that make sense?  

2013-02-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4623332

User image

Pro
BernardDogs - 2013-02-15 8:33 AM

Onward! 

Wow. I'm impressed. Keep the Ubu ale cold for me at the bar, you're gonna be there way before me

2013-02-17 3:01 PM

Regular
Brighton MA

Very Quiet this weekend...Hows everyone doing? Survive another week of training? Post some totals for the week, lets see how everyones doing.

Total - 10:01:34
Swim - 2:13:01 - 7700Yards
Bike - 3:30:38 - 0mi
Run - 3:17:55 - 21.55mi
Strength - 1:00

2013-02-17 3:50 PM

User image

Pro

I agree, pretty quiet here. Good week for me. Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow.

S:  
8748.91 Yd, 3h 19m
B: 
0.00 Mi, 3h 01m
R:  
36.10 Mi, 5h 16m 40s

Total: 11h 35m

2013-02-17 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
S:  
8900.00 Yd
2h 58m 33s
B: 
115.88 Mi
6h 29m 59s
R:  
18.16 Mi
2h 36m 36s
Str:  
15m

Total: 12:20:08
2013-02-18 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4625895

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Last week pretty much finished up my winter base and strength block.

Swim:  
8500.00 Yd
2h 55m

Bike: 
138.81 Mi
9h 49m 01s
(The bike time and distance look a little out of whack from each other, but it includes two rides outside that combined had almost 15,000' of climbing between them.)

Run:  
21.98 Mi
3h 33m 30s

Strength & Flexibility:  
4h 15m

Week Total: 20:17:31

This week transitions into a LT block that will run through the beginning of May.

2013-02-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4626504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
TankBoy - 2013-02-18 9:26 AM

Swim:  
8500.00 Yd
2h 55m

Bike: 
138.81 Mi
9h 49m 01s
(The bike time and distance look a little out of whack from each other, but it includes two rides outside that combined had almost 15,000' of climbing between them.)

Run:  
21.98 Mi
3h 33m 30s

Strength & Flexibility:  
4h 15m

This week transitions into a LT block that will run through the beginning of May.

Wow, those are some serious numbers!!!

2013-02-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4626516

User image

Pro
cobratodd - 2013-02-18 9:30 AM

Swim:  
8500.00 Yd
2h 55m

Bike: 
138.81 Mi
9h 49m 01s

Run:  
21.98 Mi
3h 33m 30s

Strength & Flexibility:  
4h 15m

More hours than I think I actually worked last week

2013-02-18 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Last week was quiet on here...everyone must be kicking some and training!  I had a decent week.  I swapped one of my runs for a bike:

Swim: 4400yds

Run: 16 miles

Bike: 6:40

Hoping everyone's training is going well...

2013-02-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4626553

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-02-18 9:50 AM
cobratodd - 2013-02-18 9:30 AM

Swim:  
8500.00 Yd
2h 55m

Bike: 
138.81 Mi
9h 49m 01s

Run:  
21.98 Mi
3h 33m 30s

Strength & Flexibility:  
4h 15m

More hours than I think I actually worked last week

Me too, Actually! Laughing 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59