BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4567637

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
thor67 - 2013-01-08 8:23 AM

Managed to drag my butt out of bed for spin class this morning...lousy sleep last night, could be an 8:30 bedtime tonight. If I can get my $hit together, I am going to go for a swim tonite while my daughter is in swim club. Need to start nailing some double workout days if I am going to hit the 30 in 31.

Have a great day everyone!

Ugh leaving the bed is the hardest part!  But once you do its all good!  Get out there and knock those training session out!

2013-01-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4561096

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
snarky - 2013-01-03 8:40 PM

Hey Everyone!

Sorry, I have been a little quiet.  Darn work getting in the way.  

Today was an exhausting day, I spent most of the day walking, climbing ladders, squatting, and bending over.  Some days I get a work out at work - other days I am in front of the computer all day.  The good news is that I still rallied and managed to get my butt on my bike.  mental victory more than anything.  I'll catch up with everyone soon.  I am going to grab some hot tea and a bath and call it an early one. 

Way to exercise that mental toughness!

2013-01-08 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4566601

User image

Champion
Calgary
Burd - 2013-01-07 1:53 PM

What should my week of the 5k race be like?  My 5k is Jan 19th and I want to make sure I rest as much as is needed.

On a side note...for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a photo.  I see the insert/edit image button but don't have a url for it.  

Thanks

I think for you, take Thursday off completely. Go for a walk on Friday. Race on Saturday. Are you trying to do it quick, if so consider your pace before hand and don't get pulled along for the ride. You can feel great in a 5k for 2 or 3 kms, but failure to properly pace will crush the life out of you in those last 2 kms.
2013-01-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Burd- there is a little box you have to check for adding attachment or photo, below the post box. Be warned though, photos can be max 100k, I had to shrink mine down in paint.

2013-01-08 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Another Double day,

Two short workouts, and My run just barely qualify's for the 30 in Jan I think.

But... I have a confession to make folks, I'm a Lefty.... That's right, I only... Only breath to the left while I am swimming. Today I tried to do a bunch of right breathing, and boy it felt weird. I nearly drowned!

Is it just going to be a case of practice makes perfect or does anyone have any tips on becoming a better both sided breather???
2013-01-08 6:03 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Great job everyone. See we have some serious people here trying to get 30 in 30. I'm on the way to the pool to get my 10th workout in.

Weight is coming off so the bere is not going down. Thought I would have had 3 beers that I set out for New Years but I skipped them. Now I'm afraid of putting in the calories since I see positive changes in the scale.

For those of you who have trouble losing weight try my fitnesspal.com. I can't beleive just keeping a daily really helps but it does. I have been stuck for quite a while around 300lbs, thinking I was only putting in so many calories. Now I log it each day and am finding successs.

2013-01-08 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4568869

User image

Expert
Cassady - 2013-01-08 6:03 PM

Great job everyone. See we have some serious people here trying to get 30 in 30. I'm on the way to the pool to get my 10th workout in.

Weight is coming off so the bere is not going down. Thought I would have had 3 beers that I set out for New Years but I skipped them. Now I'm afraid of putting in the calories since I see positive changes in the scale.

For those of you who have trouble losing weight try my fitnesspal.com. I can't beleive just keeping a daily really helps but it does. I have been stuck for quite a while around 300lbs, thinking I was only putting in so many calories. Now I log it each day and am finding successs.

Good on you for cutting back on the barley pops and for recording those calories on fitnesspal.  As you move closer to your goals , work on finding a sustainable balance between healthy eating and enjoying life.  Every person's "balance" is different.  Some find that it's better to hop on the wagon.  I found that moderation was key.  If beer motivates you, then figure out a way to help you move towards those goals!

2013-01-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4568848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

justinfss - 2013-01-08 6:48 PM Burd- there is a little box you have to check for adding attachment or photo, below the post box. Be warned though, photos can be max 100k, I had to shrink mine down in paint.

Thanks.  I was trying the insert picture button and got all confused.

2013-01-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4568851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

justinfss - 2013-01-08 6:52 PM Another Double day,

Is it just going to be a case of practice makes perfect or does anyone have any tips on becoming a better both sided breather???

I know I can't comment on this.  I still can't even stick my face in the water...Laughing

lol

2013-01-08 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

justinfss - 2013-01-08 4:52 PM Another Double day,

But... I have a confession to make folks, I'm a Lefty.... That's right, I only... Only breath to the left while I am swimming. Today I tried to do a bunch of right breathing, and boy it felt weird. I nearly drowned!

A lefty breather and a leaf fan....banished!Laughing

Bilateral breathing just takes time and practice. You may just want to stand in shallow water first and practice breathing to your weak side. I learned many years ago...close to 40...practice, practice, practice!

2013-01-08 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

justinfss - 2013-01-08 5:52 PM Another Double day,

I really struggled with bilateral breathing when I first started.  I found some pull buoy drills online that helped - take your legs out of the equation, and then focus on the odd counts.  I was also somewhat forced to switch to a balanced approach, because I strained my shoulder something fierce doing one-sided breathing.  It may have also been a form issue, but in any event, bilateral breathing also eases and balances the tension in the shoulders, which can help prevent swimmer's shoulder.  I literally did 1,500 yards of pull buoy drills while doing three counts in my head, since the odd number of strokes forces the bilateral breathing.  Boring, yes, but I don't think about bilateral any more.

On the workout front, I crushed it today in the pool - 2,000 yards, and then an evening spin class.  I'm very happy with the progress so far this week.

-Charles

2013-01-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4568993

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
thor67 - 2013-01-08 10:58 AM

Bilateral breathing just takes time and practice. You may just want to stand in shallow water first and practice breathing to your weak side. I learned many years ago...close to 40...practice, practice, practice!

Figured as much.... but the real question is Thor....

Are you Oilers or Flames???

2013-01-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4568869

User image

Veteran
Illinois

ouble losing weight try my fitnesspal.com. I can't beleive just keeping a daily really helps but it does. I have been stuck for quite a while around 300lbs, thinking I was only putting in so many calories. Now I log it each day and am finding successs.

I love myfitnesspal.  My food log link is in the signature block.  Feel free to send me a friend request there.  

I look at logging food as simply an obligation - I use it to plan, just like I plan my workouts, and if I have a bad day, or there's some birthday cake, I log it and move on.  

-Charles

2013-01-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4568943

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Burd - 2013-01-08 10:26 AM

justinfss - 2013-01-08 6:52 PM Another Double day,

I know I can't comment on this.  I still can't even stick my face in the water...Laughing

lol

My wife struggles with this too...also I know that when I am in open water I get some serious anxiety about what is 'Lurking Beneath' me. Going snorkeling in Maui last year really helped me, I don't know what it was...the added power from the fins...the constant breathing while my face was submerged...but it really helped. I know you must have some good snorkel spots down south there...something to try maybe?

Edited by justinfss 2013-01-08 8:08 PM
2013-01-08 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4569004

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-08 11:04 AM

I really struggled with bilateral breathing when I first started.  I found some pull buoy drills online that helped - take your legs out of the equation, and then focus on the odd counts.  I was also somewhat forced to switch to a balanced approach, because I strained my shoulder something fierce doing one-sided breathing.  It may have also been a form issue, but in any event, bilateral breathing also eases and balances the tension in the shoulders, which can help prevent swimmer's shoulder.  I literally did 1,500 yards of pull buoy drills while doing three counts in my head, since the odd number of strokes forces the bilateral breathing.  Boring, yes, but I don't think about bilateral any more.

On the workout front, I crushed it today in the pool - 2,000 yards, and then an evening spin class.  I'm very happy with the progress so far this week.

-Charles

Great workout!!!

and thank you very much for the tip. I am going to try that.... I injured my shoulder a few years ago, and although it hasnt given me any trouble yet. I think keeping everything balanced would be the best bet.

2013-01-08 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4568993

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2013-01-08 7:58 PM

I have just finally gotten better at bilateral breathing with a breath every third stroke. I have heard that it is pretty important to reduce shoulder problems of which I am a little prone to. Focusing on my exhale helped make that happen.

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Ok Burd... I just googled Cape Coral...and man am I jealous!!!

Any chance you would like some house guests for a month or two???

in reply to: #4568911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-08 5:51 PM

Good on you for cutting back on the barley pops and for recording those calories on fitnesspal.  As you move closer to your goals , work on finding a sustainable balance between healthy eating and enjoying life.  Every person's "balance" is different.  Some find that it's better to hop on the wagon.  I found that moderation was key.  If beer motivates you, then figure out a way to help you move towards those goals!

There is a "hop" wagon? Smile 

There is a commercial running up here now showing a guy jogging, then they cut to him finishing in front of pub. Goes in for a bacon cheeseburger, fries and some crappy 67 calorie beer...they call it the guyet(rhymes with diet). Guys who do things that allow you to enjoy the things you love...apparently he did not run far enough because he had the 67 cal crap beer with his burger!

2013-01-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4569023

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
bobddsmd - 2013-01-08 11:17 AM
thor67 - 2013-01-08 7:58 PM

I have just finally gotten better at bilateral breathing with a breath every third stroke. I have heard that it is pretty important to reduce shoulder problems of which I am a little prone to. Focusing on my exhale helped make that happen.

Thank you again..

I think that is the way to go.. I was going to try, just breathing right for a while.. but that doesnt really make sense now that I think about it

2013-01-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4569005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2013-01-08 7:05 PM
thor67 - 2013-01-08 10:58 AM

Figured as much.... but the real question is Thor....

Are you Oilers or Flames???

I dislike teams more the like any one team but if I had to chose it would be the Hawks or the Flyers...maybe even the bruins!

2013-01-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4569016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2013-01-08 7:11 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-08 11:04 AM

-Charles

Great workout!!!

and thank you very much for the tip. I am going to try that.... I injured my shoulder a few years ago, and although it hasnt given me any trouble yet. I think keeping everything balanced would be the best bet.

It will also be handy for open water races with waves, sun and sighting.

2013-01-08 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4569024

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2013-01-08 7:17 PM

Alex, going for a family holiday just up the coast on anna maria island. We will have to meet halfway for a beer. 

2013-01-08 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
well went for a lame, slow, lazy swim while my daughter was in the swimming...I guess something is better than nothing...
2013-01-08 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4569024

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
justinfss - 2013-01-08 9:17 PM

In case you didn't believe google.  This is the view I see on my runs: Cool

Edited by Burd 2013-01-08 8:57 PM

(20130103_172320.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20130103_172320.jpg (43KB - 4 downloads)
2013-01-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4569032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
thor67 - 2013-01-08 9:25 PM
justinfss - 2013-01-08 7:17 PM

Alex, going for a family holiday just up the coast on anna maria island. We will have to meet halfway for a beer. 

For sure!  We head up that way from time to time to hit the commissary on the Air Force base, about 15 min away from there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97