BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2008-01-17 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1161206

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed

Cashmason - 2008-01-17 12:37 AM I can move the aerobars in and out making them longer or shorter. The are the Profile design Air Strykes with the pads that fold up so you can grab the handle bars for the uphills if you want. My bike shop is not big on tri athletes so dont really fit them in the aero position. And if I fit in aero then I am out of fit for riding normally on the hoods.

Is there a tri store near you that can help?  It sounds like you need some minor adjustments that could make a major difference in your comfort level.  You won't have to be (and shouldn't be) in an aggressive aero position on your roadie, there can be a happy medium to ride comfortably on the hoods and in aero, but either way you should be comfortable.  Pain in your shoulders and neck isn't something, in my opinion, that you should just get used to on the bike.  Pain in the butt after an hour or two in the saddle?  Sure, you get used to that, but the type of pain you're describing, especially after only a few miles, is truly worth looking into.  As I've mentioned before, I am primarily a cyclist and have a road bike with carbon strykes.  My mechanic was very particular about my fit to ensure that I would be comfortable both in and out of aero (and, incidentally, made me take my original set of aerobars back because they weren't a good match for my bike).  We basically decided on a road fit in which being in aero was almost a "resting" position.  With that said, once I got used to being in aero in terms of balance and steering, I started spending  heck of a lot more time there even on group road rides and, don't tell my roadie friends but I, uh, *gasp*, prefer it.  Shhhhhh....

2008-01-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1161246

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-01-17 3:24 AM Hey Utah is part of his name. It works. Went to the tri club meeting. Did not win one of the 7 wet suits they gave away. Rats! I was one of the 93 who didn't win. I bet the ones who did win either have one already, or don't swim. ( Many of our members only do one or two events like run and bike and join the club just for those things they dont all do tri's).

Oh no!!!  Maybe you can buy one from one of 'em cheap?? 

2008-01-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1161207

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

givemashot - 2008-01-17 12:38 AM Congrats on the weight loss! Don't worry, you'll get there, UT! (I love it, I'm calling someone UTAH! hahaha!) Yes, I know. I'm sleep deprived, ok?

Sleep deprived?  You rang???  Aye yie yie...

2008-01-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

So I was thinking of training today .

I have to observe a struggling spin instructor this evening at a location kinda far from my house.  It should work out great... beat the traffic by getting there early enough to swim and run. 

2008-01-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1160682

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hi Cashmason,

As Mila said Bike Fit, Bike Fit, Bike Fit. If your tri's are aching after about 2 hours and you say you ride mainly on the hoods, my guess is that in that position your handle bars are too far from where they should be. If you have to reach to the hoods, you are elongating your position into one that is not conducive to long riding . . short crits maybe . . .or when you need that extra power . . but for 2 hours . . use the bars!

The conversion of Road bike to "Aero" does not come without its faults, since by doing that you force the center of weight forward on a bike and therefore throwing the bike out of its natural balance which causes different muscle recruitment to have to stabilize your body. Also the neck hurting is most likely from the Top Tube being longer on a road bike then that of a Tri Bike. There are many a debate on the pro's and cons of Road Bike conversion, you might want to check out some info on them.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml
http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=11

Overall, the aero position is not comfortable or natural and the only way to speed up the adaptation is to ride in that position as often as possible! Hope this info helps!!!!

C

Cashmason - 2008-01-16 8:22 PM

My girlfriend is in lust with that bike too Mila. But she hasnt ridden her own bike 100 miles in the last year.

Woot under 180 pounds for the first time since college.

I get sore triceps after 2 hours or more of riding, most on the hoods. I have road bike with aero bars, but dont use the aero bars much on group rides.

Also get a sore neck when on the aerobars for more than a few miles.

Is the only answer more riding and get used to it, or can I do something at the gym that will speed up the process.

Edited by Lwoodtri 2008-01-17 1:25 PM
2008-01-17 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

HOORAY FOR ME!!!

Ok -- a little self praise here, but I'm purdy excited!    Although it was on a DREADMILL, I ran a sub 9:00/mile for the first time in over a year!  While my best is in the 7:30/mile range over 5K, I'm really excited about this milestone! 

New Goal -- 8:30 5k by end of February -- Wish Me Luck  Gotta beat he who must not be named come July!

Progress is SO exciting!

2008-01-17 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1162793

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
UTTriman - 2008-01-17 6:10 PM

HOORAY FOR ME!!!

Ok -- a little self praise here, but I'm purdy excited!    Although it was on a DREADMILL, I ran a sub 9:00/mile for the first time in over a year!  While my best is in the 7:30/mile range over 5K, I'm really excited about this milestone! 

New Goal -- 8:30 5k by end of February -- Wish Me Luck  Gotta beat he who must not be named come July!

Progress is SO exciting!

wow, the secret font carries over into the mentor thread - impressive

2008-01-17 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1160682

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Cashmason - 2008-01-16 8:22 PM My girlfriend is in lust with that bike too Mila. But she hasnt ridden her own bike 100 miles in the last year. Woot under 180 pounds for the first time since college. I get sore triceps after 2 hours or more of riding, most on the hoods. I have road bike with aero bars, but dont use the aero bars much on group rides. Also get a sore neck when on the aerobars for more than a few miles. Is the only answer more riding and get used to it, or can I do something at the gym that will speed up the process.

Congrats on the 180.  Do you have any helpful tips to share with us?

2008-01-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1162793

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
UT, Awesome.  Nice job!!!!  Keep up the great work!!!   --Jim
2008-01-17 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Great job UT! Making those milestones always keeps us motivated.

Gygy I say that I am going to dye some asprin green and call it my secret diet pill and sell it.

Nobody wants to hear that I lost 100 pounds just by eating less, exercising more, do this 6 days a week, every week, and don't go back to my old bad habits of eating the wrong things.

I give myself one meal each week of eating things that I used to love, so I don't crave anything. And one day off from training so I dont feel bad about missing a day once in a while.

If I fall off the wagon, I get right back on it the next day.
2008-01-18 2:23 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
http://www.kickrunners.com/forum//showthread.php?t=19603

Claudia getting swimming lessons on the 26 mile swim from Catalina to Long Beach.

2008-01-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1162798

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
lastcall2003 - 2008-01-17 7:13 PM

HOORAY FOR ME!!!

Progress is SO exciting!

Well yes, of course, Beth... Sal and I are trying to impart the most important knowledge...

2008-01-18 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1162992

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

JJCraig - 2008-01-17 8:46 PM UT, Awesome.  Nice job!!!!  Keep up the great work!!!   --Jim

Thanks, Jim!   Appreciate it!   Feels Good!

2008-01-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1163272

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Cashmason - 2008-01-17 11:54 PM Great job UT! Making those milestones always keeps us motivated. Gygy I say that I am going to dye some asprin green and call it my secret diet pill and sell it. Nobody wants to hear that I lost 100 pounds just by eating less, exercising more, do this 6 days a week, every week, and don't go back to my old bad habits of eating the wrong things. I give myself one meal each week of eating things that I used to love, so I don't crave anything. And one day off from training so I dont feel bad about missing a day once in a while. If I fall off the wagon, I get right back on it the next day.

Thanks man!!!

I need some of those green aspirin tablets.   I'm doing basically the same as you, but the scale hasn't gotten the message yet!      I know it will start to move though as my intensity continues to increase!

100 lbs -- that's AWESOME!  GREAT JOB!

2008-01-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1163730

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
milaminute - 2008-01-18 10:06 AM
lastcall2003 - 2008-01-17 7:13 PM

HOORAY FOR ME!!!

Progress is SO exciting!

Well yes, of course, Beth... Sal and I are trying to impart the most important knowledge...

And doing it micely I might add!!  

BTW -- I think I'm only 10 posts from EXPERT!  

2008-01-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1163307

User image

Cashmason - 2008-01-18 12:23 AM http://www.kickrunners.com/forum//showthread.php?t=19603 Claudia getting swimming lessons on the 26 mile swim from Catalina to Long Beach.

This is awesome, one day me I hope! 

And Cash, you lost 100lbs!!!!!!!!!! You should post some before/now pics. WOW  You mentees are incredible and inspiring!

2008-01-18 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

OK, trying to recreate my original post about weight loss... this is the current industry "philosophy" for group fitness and personal training with regard to helping people change their body compositions:

Your body is constantly burning both fat and sugar for fuel.  When you exercise, the caloric burn rate increases.  This isn't news to any of you... uhh... I hope .  However, often people make the mistake of equating red faced, sweaty, tough workouts with weight loss.  Unfortunately, that's not exactly the best approach. 

I remember after I had my first child getting on a treadmill and hitting the "weight loss" program thinking that that would make me shed the pounds in a snap.  I got immediately frustrated with the slow pace.  Sooooo... I did what tons of other people do.  I jacked up the incline and intensity because, obviously, I needed to burn more calories!  However, not all calories are created equal.   Yes, I burned a lot of calories... but no, I didn't see the changes in my body I was looking for.  It also reminds me of watching the same people go to the same spin classes day in and day out... trying to lose the same 10 pounds for months.  They work their tails off in those classes, they work harder than I tell them to even though I tell they why they shouldn't.  Heck, they look like they need an ambulance afterwards... but they aren't changing their body compositions because they aren't burning enough fat during the ride.

In terms of weight loss in connection with heart rate zone training, when you are working in zones 1-3, which are aerobic zones, you are burning primarily fat for fuel.  As you get much higher into Z3 (the point at which you can hold a conversation but really don't feel like it), the fat burn rate decreases as sugar burn increases and, once you start to feel breathless, that ratio shifts even more and you start pulling more sugar.  You only have a limited amount of glycogen that you can use at any given time... it's why you can race a 5K and possibly 10K in Z4 but likely not a half marathon.  Glycogen depletion, as you know, is something we as athletes deal with... but you don't often hear athletes looking for products to replenish their fat stores .

Of course you want to couple focusing on staying primarily in Z3 with healthy eating.  However, be sure to eat enough.  Cutting back on calories too much, particularly as an active athlete, can actually cause your body to start to horde calories.  When you aren't eating enough and training a lot, your body is at risk of going into a "starvation" mode... it sort of thinks you're starving it so it tries to "save" calories.  This can cause a weight loss plateau.

Bottom line is that working out in high Z2 and low to mid Z3 is going to give you the best fat burn rate.  You should focus on spending a majority of your training time there.  Using the 80/20 principle will help (80% of the time, Z2-Z3, 20% of the time Z3-Z4) because you will still get your intervals and speedwork in but will spend a lot of time base building and in that primo fat burning zone. 

If you need to refer back to the RPE cues I posted for knowing your zones, you can find it in the middle of this page.

2008-01-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1163837

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
UTTriman - 2008-01-18 11:40 AM

BTW -- I think I'm only 10 posts from EXPERT!  

Well then... go ahead and shamelessly pad your post count ten times keep on posting!!

2008-01-18 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1163307

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2008-01-18 3:23 AM http://www.kickrunners.com/forum//showthread.php?t=19603Claudia getting swimming lessons on the 26 mile swim from Catalina to Long Beach.

WOW... that is so cool!   Thanks for sharing .

2008-01-18 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1164308

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
milaminute - 2008-01-18 1:05 PM

OK, trying to recreate my original post about weight loss... this is the current industry "philosophy" for group fitness and personal training with regard to helping people change their body compositions:

Your body is constantly burning both fat and sugar for fuel.  When you exercise, the caloric burn rate increases.  This isn't news to any of you... uhh... I hope .  However, often people make the mistake of equating red faced, sweaty, tough workouts with weight loss.  Unfortunately, that's not exactly the best approach. 

I remember after I had my first child getting on a treadmill and hitting the "weight loss" program thinking that that would make me shed the pounds in a snap.  I got immediately frustrated with the slow pace.  Sooooo... I did what tons of other people do.  I jacked up the incline and intensity because, obviously, I needed to burn more calories!  However, not all calories are created equal.   Yes, I burned a lot of calories... but no, I didn't see the changes in my body I was looking for.  It also reminds me of watching the same people go to the same spin classes day in and day out... trying to lose the same 10 pounds for months.  They work their tails off in those classes, they work harder than I tell them to even though I tell they why they shouldn't.  Heck, they look like they need an ambulance afterwards... but they aren't changing their body compositions because they aren't burning enough fat during the ride.

In terms of weight loss in connection with heart rate zone training, when you are working in zones 1-3, which are aerobic zones, you are burning primarily fat for fuel.  As you get much higher into Z3 (the point at which you can hold a conversation but really don't feel like it), the fat burn rate decreases as sugar burn increases and, once you start to feel breathless, that ratio shifts even more and you start pulling more sugar.  You only have a limited amount of glycogen that you can use at any given time... it's why you can race a 5K and possibly 10K in Z4 but likely not a half marathon.  Glycogen depletion, as you know, is something we as athletes deal with... but you don't often hear athletes looking for products to replenish their fat stores .

Of course you want to couple focusing on staying primarily in Z3 with healthy eating.  However, be sure to eat enough.  Cutting back on calories too much, particularly as an active athlete, can actually cause your body to start to horde calories.  When you aren't eating enough and training a lot, your body is at risk of going into a "starvation" mode... it sort of thinks you're starving it so it tries to "save" calories.  This can cause a weight loss plateau.

Bottom line is that working out in high Z2 and low to mid Z3 is going to give you the best fat burn rate.  You should focus on spending a majority of your training time there.  Using the 80/20 principle will help (80% of the time, Z2-Z3, 20% of the time Z3-Z4) because you will still get your intervals and speedwork in but will spend a lot of time base building and in that primo fat burning zone. 

If you need to refer back to the RPE cues I posted for knowing your zones, you can find it in the middle of this page.

Good info-- THANKS.  Most I knew-- but you explained it so clearly, that well, it made much more sense.   I just hate running slow!  It's fun to go fast!!     -- Even though I'm not fast!

2008-01-19 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1163272

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Cashmason - 2008-01-18 12:54 AM Great job UT! Making those milestones always keeps us motivated. Gygy I say that I am going to dye some asprin green and call it my secret diet pill and sell it. Nobody wants to hear that I lost 100 pounds just by eating less, exercising more, do this 6 days a week, every week, and don't go back to my old bad habits of eating the wrong things. I give myself one meal each week of eating things that I used to love, so I don't crave anything. And one day off from training so I dont feel bad about missing a day once in a while. If I fall off the wagon, I get right back on it the next day.

Great advice!

2008-01-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1164308

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
milaminute - 2008-01-18 2:05 PM

Thanks Mila!  I had my VO2 max test yesterday, and the HR zones you talked about seem to fall in line with my test results.  the closer I get to anaerobic threshold the more calories I burn.  Obviously, I want to burn the most fast possible, so I'm going to figure out my zones.  I may need your help.  I'll PM you. 

2008-01-19 9:11 AM

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
Whats everybody got on tap this weekend?  Just survived the 8 degree and subzero windchills here in Indiana for a 13 mile run.  My hands are still numb.  Hope everybody has a good weekend.  It took me over 5 minutes just to type three sentences.  OK I'm exaggerating
2008-01-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1165357

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

JJCraig - 2008-01-19 9:11 AM Whats everybody got on tap this weekend?  Just survived the 8 degree and subzero windchills here in Indiana for a 13 mile run.  My hands are still numb.  Hope everybody has a good weekend.  It took me over 5 minutes just to type three sentences.  OK I'm exaggerating

Great committment, JJ.   You're doing awesome.

For me it was a stationary bike/dreadmill brick this morning.  Rest tomorrow, and off on a business trip Monday and Tuesday.

2008-01-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1165294

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
gygyhawk - 2008-01-19 8:48 AM

Thanks Mila!  I had my VO2 max test yesterday, and the HR zones you talked about seem to fall in line with my test results.  the closer I get to anaerobic threshold the more calories I burn.  Obviously, I want to burn the most fast possible, so I'm going to figure out my zones.  I may need your help.  I'll PM you. 

No problem, happy to help! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55