BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-02-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL

Way to go, Paul ... 4 sprints!  LOVE that attitude!

And Scott, yes, I definitely know what you mean about running off the bike.

2009-02-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1942768

User image

Master
IceManScott - 2009-02-03 7:41 AM

Good thing meditation is part of the AA program.  Keeps me centered.  The bike coach also has me doing more PT, too and I noticed that has a meditative quality to it. 

I don't really stress about things anymore.  But having the cancer test behind me again relieved a weight, I can tell already today. This afternoon is the Computrainer testing.  I have to ride a simulated Coors Classic course up in the mountains.  One of the climbs is called the Wall.  Should be a gas, eh?  :/

So sorry to hear about the furlough.

Can you tell us a little more about the meditation? I think that would help me with my never-ending weight-loss quest...
2009-02-04 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Well, I'm finally back from my spouse's surgery. And I let it become one long junk-food fest. *sigh* So picking up the pieces again and keep on keeping on.

For this week no a.m. workouts because I'm still taking care of him. But I joined a new (cheap) gym close to my work, so I want to try it for the first time tomorrow during lunch and Friday.

In good news, I got my volunteer assignment for Ironman Lake Placid, and I'm going to be a bike handler! This is very cool. (Twice before I was drink-hander-outer, so I wanted a change)
2009-02-04 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1943263

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-03 9:27 AM

Hey Lynn,

You got a long ride planned for Sunday, or early Saturday morning? Since I flaked on trying to meet up with Todd and Jocelyn last Sunday, I'm going to make a better effort to meet you all and, well, we're neighbors.  LET'S RIDE!

I've got to be showered and out the door with family on Saturday morning (petting zoo in San Jaun Capistrano), but I can fit in a ride if we start early.  Sunday is wide open ... you in?

Hey Morgan -- sorry I've not been able to get to the forum last day or two -- anyway. Saturday might work, but I'm going down to the San Diegito (sp?) 1/2 marathon on Sunday to help a friend run in the last 3 miles. With my DH gone all week I'm not sure if he'll want to ride or sleep on Saturday morning. How early you talking about and how much mileage are you considering? Also, you know if might rain. 

2009-02-04 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1945185

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-04 9:04 AM

While the bike is certainly my strong point, I'm starting to get better at the run and, *EGAD*, I'm kind of starting to enjoy it!  I don't think I've yet turned the corner that I did on the bike, with regard to a strong running base, but I feel I'm not too far away.

For my first two tris, I stupidly played soccer on the Friday night before the races, and each time I injured my quads.  Made the run even harder and slower, but the underlying point is that I hadn't really trained for the run at all and it showed.  In my limited view, the entire race is decided by the run.  Could be very wrong on that, but I know that for me, the most opportunity to shave time is going to be on the run.

Also, I now LOVE my thumps, my thumps, my lovely manly thumps!

Sorry, couldn't resist   And I NEVER wear them on the bike.

Are those sunglasses with earbuds?? LOL OMG now I've seen everything!  Well...maybe not. I've thankfully not been behind someone on the bike earning their membership into the  yellow socks club.

2009-02-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1945809

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
lmscozz - 2009-02-04 2:02 PM

Are those sunglasses with earbuds?? LOL OMG now I've seen everything!  Well...maybe not. I've thankfully not been behind someone on the bike earning their membership into the  yellow socks club.

I've actually done two races so far that specifically mentioned "Thumps" as not allowed along with Ipods, etc., so they definitely must be catching on ...

2009-02-04 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1945785

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-02-04 1:50 PM

Well, I'm finally back from my spouse's surgery. And I let it become one long junk-food fest. *sigh* So picking up the pieces again and keep on keeping on.

For this week no a.m. workouts because I'm still taking care of him. But I joined a new (cheap) gym close to my work, so I want to try it for the first time tomorrow during lunch and Friday.

In good news, I got my volunteer assignment for Ironman Lake Placid, and I'm going to be a bike handler! This is very cool. (Twice before I was drink-hander-outer, so I wanted a change)

Congrats on gym...congrats on volunteer assignment...and keep at it on the nutrition front!

(And welcome back!)
2009-02-04 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Lynn,

Yeah, the Oakley Thumps are sunglasses with a built-in mp3 player and earbuds.  IMHO, they're fantastic!

As for Saturday, yeah, might  rain.  Sunday is looking better for a long ride, or possibly late Saturday afternoon.  If Sunday is bad and you've got the afternoon free on Saturday, I'm in.  Otherwise, I'll head out Sunday.  Ideally, I'd like to get in at least 40 miles, but I'm flexible about distance and pace.  Weather will play a large part of this.  Want to blow off meeting up until maybe next weekend? 

2009-02-04 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1945954

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-04 3:19 PM

Lynn,

Yeah, the Oakley Thumps are sunglasses with a built-in mp3 player and earbuds.  IMHO, they're fantastic!

As for Saturday, yeah, might  rain.  Sunday is looking better for a long ride, or possibly late Saturday afternoon.  If Sunday is bad and you've got the afternoon free on Saturday, I'm in.  Otherwise, I'll head out Sunday.  Ideally, I'd like to get in at least 40 miles, but I'm flexible about distance and pace.  Weather will play a large part of this.  Want to blow off meeting up until maybe next weekend? 

I'll be gone next weekend for the Pres. day. Sat morning might not work because of the rain. We could play it by ear.. let me know what you think. There's a bike race on Camp Pendleton on Feb 28th. You might want to consider it.I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it.

http://www.camppendletonraces.com/bike.html

Anyone else in So Cal might like it too, Todd? Jocelyn?

2009-02-04 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Mediation is a personal thing.  You can find all kinds of ways to try.  There are many.  From Centering Prayer to yoga, they all have something to offer.  I do centering prayer.  Single spiritual word repeated over and over until the mind calms.  Quiet place, eyes closed.  Music if you have some that is soothing.  But try several kinds.  There are probably classes near where you live.  Test out several until you find something right.  It is very mind strengthening and this is as much about learning to center the mind as it is on strengthening the body.

As for stopping overeating, there is only one thing that worked for me.  I reached a place where I was willing to do anything to change my life.  And then I made a point to get into positive routines that replaced the bad ones.  Above all, I kept it very simple in the beginning.  I used high protein, low carbs to jump start things...added carbs as the exercise increased.  I logged the calories I ate and the ones I burned ...you have to show a calorie deficit ...3,000 calories equal a pound.  It is simple math.  More calories burned, fewer eaten.  The proviso is to be sure you are eating enough to avoid your body from going into a starvation mode where it holds everything you eat for fear it won't get enough tomorrow.  It's from our days in the cave when winter set in...the body was astute enough to know that less running, fewer calories meant tough times...so it conserved fuel.  It will still do the same today.

I think people who are trying to lose substantial weight as I did tend to over think it.  More exercise, less food, and eating the right foods will equal the right results.

Also, as a once-super-sized guy I wrote about recently after he completed his first Ironman told me,  we have to look at WHY we eat as well as WHAT we eat.  Keeping a log of the food helps.  What am I eating?  How do I feel when I am eating?  Am I eating due to hunger?  Sadness?  Loneliness?  Perceived stress?  How much am I setting myself up for those emotions so I have an excuse to overindulge?  After all, a donut never went out on a date with me, never solved my loneliness, never increased my self esteem, so why was I eating so many of them when I was supposedly down? 

As for depression, Lincoln said, A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be.  I agree.

There are some great books on the topic.  As important, I used the 12 steps to help me with letting go of the urges to eat badly.  I went to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings and found many people who were struggling over and over again as I see in AA with alcohol and drugs, but I also found success stories.  I asked how they did it.  I did what they did.  I got the results I wanted to get. 

Good luck.     

Edited by IceManScott 2009-02-05 8:33 AM
2009-02-05 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Paul, as far as plantar fasciitis .... I have been battling that one for a long time. And for the first time in years, I'm pain-free.

Can you get into some physical therapy? That did help me this time - I had an awesome team of therapists, whereas last time they were not good at all.

I got custom orthotics and they did not help me. When I switched doctors this time, he said to not use them because I don't need overpronation control.

Don't assume that you need massive overpronation control on your shoes simply because you're overweight. Maybe you do; but in my case I don't overpronate on the leg I have PF on. I just have insanely tight calves.

Other things that helped me were wearing the hard night splint every single night without fail. The sock, in my humble opinion, is no good. It was way too painful for me to ever wear the sock and I never made it through a night, but the splint I could. I think I only took it off in my sleep once or twice. I still wear it, although I skip some nights here and there now.

Also, really work on those calves. Try a foam roller to massage them if you have one. Or see a chiropractor for some A.R.T. therapy. You will probably notice some soreness there that you did not know you had. I would even guess you might have it deep in the middle of your calf, about 4-5 inches down from your knee.

Start with stretching your calves while sitting down using a towel or belt. After you do this, then progress to standing stretches, but only when the pain is significantly reduced.

Also massage the plantar fascia gently with your hand, going across not up and down, if you can. Or, even better, get the wifey to do it. (The BEST part of physical therapy was the massage, even though it hurt at first.)

Lastly, do ankle strengthening and flexibility exercises. If you have a resistance band, use it to strengthen the ankle muscles.

2009-02-05 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Just had a big talk about the impending layoffs at my company. Scary times ...
2009-02-05 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Oh man, Susie, that's a bummer.  I truly hope you fare well at work.

Lynn,

You're right ... it's going to rain this weekend!  Looks like it's going to be delayed a day so I might be able to get a ride in at lunch today, but t-storms tomorrow and Saturday, and chances for more on Sunday.  Crap.

2009-02-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1946709

User image

Veteran

4 degrees feels like -10 per local weather website this morning; bed was soooo warm Smile

had my first good run in a while this morning, at the gym in case you are wondering and I'm pleased.  over the weekend i am planning a strategy to get the training in gear and move forward ona serious routine.

first work email of the day detailed the immediate lay-off of 17% of corp.  it's been a very sad morning here for many co-workers and I'm fortunate that my number wasn't called.  more motivation to get the above stated plan into action and stave off depressing thoughts.

I've managed to keep PF in check with routine massage; i have one every three weeks and swear that for the most part it keeps alot of maladies at bay.

2009-02-05 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Okay, I need to ask all of you for some help here ...

I haven't been in the pool in WAY too long.  I can name a ton of excuses ranging from being comfortable with my swimming ability to it being too cold at night (to wear shorts to the Y and swim in a heated indoor pool.  Yeah, I know ...).  End of the day, they're just excuses.

I know we have a "No HTFU" policy here, but I'm asking you all to get on my case about not swimming.  Tell me to HTFU, make me feel lazy, call me a slacker ... whatever it takes   Seriously, do that for a couple of days and I'll get back into it, but I currently have ZERO motivation to swim and I need a little push.

Oh yeah, can't swim tonight because I'll be taking the kids out to free up some time for my wife to work.  And it's going to be too cold here to wear shorts to the Y, and it might rain ...

2009-02-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1947121

User image

Veteran

omg morgan!  stop whining, throw on your windpants and bring the kids to the darn pool with you.  baby.

wow, that felt good.

2009-02-05 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1947121

User image

Master
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-05 12:25 PM

Okay, I need to ask all of you for some help here ...

I haven't been in the pool in WAY too long.  I can name a ton of excuses ranging from being comfortable with my swimming ability to it being too cold at night (to wear shorts to the Y and swim in a heated indoor pool.  Yeah, I know ...).  End of the day, they're just excuses.

I know we have a "No HTFU" policy here, but I'm asking you all to get on my case about not swimming.  Tell me to HTFU, make me feel lazy, call me a slacker ... whatever it takes   Seriously, do that for a couple of days and I'll get back into it, but I currently have ZERO motivation to swim and I need a little push.

Oh yeah, can't swim tonight because I'll be taking the kids out to free up some time for my wife to work.  And it's going to be too cold here to wear shorts to the Y, and it might rain ...

GET YOURSELF IN THE POOL!

Swimming is FUN! Swimming is relaxing. Swimming is freedom. Swimming allows your mind to take a vacation. Swimming kicks some butt.

The reason people don't *like* to swim, sometimes, I think, is the amount of work it takes getting into the pool. Is there a way you can treat yourself if you go swimming? For me, I love WaWa coffee, and I said I can only have one if I go to the Y before work.
2009-02-05 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1947099

User image

Master
oshunluvah - 2009-02-05 12:19 PM

I've managed to keep PF in check with routine massage; i have one every three weeks and swear that for the most part it keeps alot of maladies at bay.

Do you have them massage the calf, or the foot? Or both?

I'd like to start getting routine massages, assuming I still have a job, to keep this stuff at bay. How did you find a good person to go to?
2009-02-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1947099

User image

Master

first work email of the day detailed the immediate lay-off of 17% of corp.  it's been a very sad morning here for many co-workers and I'm fortunate that my number wasn't called.  more motivation to get the above stated plan into action and stave off depressing thoughts 

so sorry -- how awful!

We know layoffs are coming, but we don't know how many or who... I *should* be safe. Knock on wood.
2009-02-05 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Went to the new gym over lunch. It has more free weight machines than the Y. Including a calf machine - yeah! And, the coolest thing, is it has the GRAVITRON. It's a machine that helps you do pullups and triceps dips.

Also, they have a squat machine (if Y does I can't find it), and so for the first time I did REAL squats on a REAL squat machine. Does anybody know how much weight the bar itself is?

When I was doing calf lifts, I was looking down and MAN! My legs are actually starting to get sexy ripped. I think when I lose the inner thigh flab, I'm going to have some darn nice legs.

I get some little inner personal satisfaction when I can lift so much more weight with my legs than the other women (sometimes even guys). My upper body is starting to get there slowly, but certain muscles are still very weak.

I used to *hate* weight training, with a passion. But I'm starting to actually like it -- the feeling of getting stronger. And looking down and seeing my quads, triceps or calves is pretty cool.

They don't have any stretching area yet or stability balls. That will come, I'm told, when another section opens. Way cool for $12/month.
2009-02-05 12:37 PM

User image

Master
also, what's does "cv workout" stand for? It was on the treadmill. The hill/speed profile was one big long interval.

2009-02-05 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1947287

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-02-05 10:34 AM

first work email of the day detailed the immediate lay-off of 17% of corp.  it's been a very sad morning here for many co-workers and I'm fortunate that my number wasn't called.  more motivation to get the above stated plan into action and stave off depressing thoughts 

so sorry -- how awful!

We know layoffs are coming, but we don't know how many or who... I *should* be safe. Knock on wood.

Same situation for my wife at Disney...she's heard that her department is likely safe, but there was a big article in the LA Times about the company's finances that made it look like the cuts will be bigger than rumored.

Since my temp assignment finally ends on Tuesday (I was laid off from my last job in late September), it would suck harshly if Liz lost her job, too.
2009-02-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1947155

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
oshunluvah - 2009-02-05 9:41 AM

omg morgan!  stop whining, throw on your windpants and bring the kids to the darn pool with you.  baby.

wow, that felt good.

Windpants...*snerk*...Exactly what I threw on to go to the pool...

...AT 5:45-freaking-AM THIS MORNING.

0:-)

Edited by tcovert 2009-02-05 12:43 PM
2009-02-05 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

That's the spirit, thanks all!

Susie, not sure what bar you are using for squats ... is it a squat rack or a squat machine?  Typical bar, when using free weights on a squat rack, is 45 pounds.  However, i haven't done squats since playing high school football in the '80s, so I have no idea what's out there today.  How long do you think it would take for me to get back to being able to squat 410lbs?

2009-02-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1947355

User image

Master
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-05 1:59 PM

That's the spirit, thanks all!

Susie, not sure what bar you are using for squats ... is it a squat rack or a squat machine?  Typical bar, when using free weights on a squat rack, is 45 pounds.  However, i haven't done squats since playing high school football in the '80s, so I have no idea what's out there today.  How long do you think it would take for me to get back to being able to squat 410lbs?

Um ... ? I think the rack? The one where you have to put the giant round weights on it, and it's a bar that moves freely up and down?

I felt like a real weight-lifting chick, even though I could only do 6 before I was afraid my form would fall apart and I'd hurt myself. They are a lot different than doing it with hand weights or stability balls against the wall.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45